Post Reply 198 posts
Metal Festivals in the Summer
  • Laura
    Commander

Re: Metal Festivals in the Summer

by Laura » Thu May 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey fellow metal fans 
    I'm headed for Wacken in a little over 2 months and am totally stoked about seeing bands I know well like Immortal :beerhorns: (bought my ticket asap once they were the first band announced), Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Arch Enemy, Orphaned Land, Slayer, Tyr, Tarja, Ihsahn, Motley Crue, Tiamat, Kamelot, and 1349.  I went to Wacken last year, so I know it won't be possible to see everyone I want to see because of overlaps....so I'm checking out as much as I can in advance.  I especially want to see bands that rarely or never come to the U.S.  One of the highlights for my friend and I last year was seeing German bands like In Extremo and Subway to Sally - bagpipes and all -  and totally awesome!    

I would love some advice about some of the bands that I'm intrigued by / interested in seeing / wanting to buy some of their music, that I don't know very much about...if you are a big fan of any of the following - what are your favorite albums? Also, if you have seen them live - are they a MUST SEE??!      :cheers:

Amorphis (Finland)

Candlemass (Sweden)

Corvus Corax (Germany - watched some youtube vids of them - wow!)

Delain (Netherlands)

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter (Germany)

Frei.wild (Germany)

Metsatoll (Estonian folk metal!)

Schelmish (Germany)

Solstafir (Iceland)

Varg (Germany)   
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:05 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Amorphis (Finland)

"Tales from the Thousand Lakes" is a classic. Check that one out if haven't yet. "Elegy" and "Tuonela" are awesome as well but they stray into more prog rocky with cleaner vocals.

And yes, they are worth checking out live! :viking:
    Have a good time...all the time.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri May 28, 2010 4:28 am

FreiWild and Apo Reiter are terrible.As are the red hot chilly pipers and that German Celtic folk band.
    Thats pretty much all you need to know about them.
    Maddy77
    Crewman
    Location: Vienna now, of German origin (No! I don't want Hasselhoff) and one foot in The Netherlands :)

by Maddy77 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Corvus Corax (Germany - watched some youtube vids of them - wow!)

Delain (Netherlands)

Schelmish (Germany)

Varg (Germany)   

Well, as a countrywoman of those bands...Delain are an awesome live band. Started out as a project with lots of guest musicians on the debut album "Lucidity" (Marco Hietala, Sharon den Adel, Liv Kristine, Arien van Weesenbeek, George Oosthoek...) and later became a real band. Second album "April Rain" is also worth listening to. If you want to get an idea of their music have a look at songs like "The Gathering" or "Control The Storm" on YouTube. Nice guys too btw. Just recently I had the pleasure to interview them.

If you like In Extremo and Subway To Sally I think it's a given that you are going to enjoy Corvus Corax and Schelmish. Especially CC are live a sight to behold.

Varg is a very controversial topic at the moment. Freki, the current singer, had a picture taken with the wrong people with connections to NSBM a while back. So at the moment they are trying to get rid of this image of belonging to the NSBM scene themselves. I talked to them at Metalfest Hungary a week ago and saw their show. They kick ass live (the lyrics however are indeed somewhat short-witted - especially when you are faced with such accusations - and could give people the wrong idea). If you focus on the band/music itself I can safely say that their former frontman/singer/composer was way better than Freki, so if you want to check out their CDs first I'd prefer their debut "Wolfszeit" over the new release "Blutaar". But I'm looking forward to seeing them live again at Metalcamp!

Hope that gives you some idea as to what to expect and what's worth seeing. :headbanger:
    Headbanging on Deck 4
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri May 28, 2010 2:37 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Corvus Corax (Germany - watched some youtube vids of them - wow!)

Hmmm... I'm confused. Just watched a couple youtube vids. Why are these guys performing at a metal fest?

Maybe I just listened to the wrong songs (essentially NO guitar in them at all)... Just checked out Subway to Sally and In Extremo and can see how they qualify. Maybe some CC sounds the same but just not the samples I heard?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri May 28, 2010 6:26 pm

junkhead13 wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Amorphis (Finland)

"Tales from the Thousand Lakes" is a classic. Check that one out if haven't yet. "Elegy" and "Tuonela" are awesome as well but they stray into more prog rocky with cleaner vocals.

And yes, they are worth checking out live! :viking:

Hey junkhead13 - thanks big time for your post - I never took the time to check out Amorphis until today - listened to Tales from the Thousand Lakes and ended up buying it on iTunes (having iTunes on my iPhone is a bit dangerous - waaaaay too easy to spend money! ;) ) It's excellent and I'll definitely listen to more Amorphis in the coming weeks. From what I've read so far, they have a long history and have gone through some musical changes over the years as you said - more to explore for sure! I looked at the tentative line-up for Wacken and they are first up on the "True Metal Stage" on Friday, Aug 6 - I'll be there!

Metalwrath wrote:FreiWild and Apo Reiter are terrible.As are the red hot chilly pipers and that German Celtic folk band.
    Thats pretty much all you need to know about them.

Well, thanks for the honest opinion (I think :lol: ;) ) Funny you mentioned Red Hot Chili Pipers who will be playing the Wackinger or "Medieval Wacken" stage - a friend of mine saw them at an Irish fest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and even she thought they were pretty corny (apparently they do Temptations-like synchronized moves while playing bagpipes :lol: ) Re "that German Celtic folk band" - I love that kinda stuff! (but understand that some people don't :cheers:

Maddy77 wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Corvus Corax (Germany - watched some youtube vids of them - wow!)

Delain (Netherlands)

Schelmish (Germany)

Varg (Germany)

Well, as a countrywoman of those bands...Delain are an awesome live band. Started out as a project with lots of guest musicians on the debut album "Lucidity" (Marco Hietala, Sharon den Adel, Liv Kristine, Arien van Weesenbeek, George Oosthoek...) and later became a real band. Second album "April Rain" is also worth listening to. If you want to get an idea of their music have a look at songs like "The Gathering" or "Control The Storm" on YouTube. Nice guys too btw. Just recently I had the pleasure to interview them.

If you like In Extremo and Subway To Sally I think it's a given that you are going to enjoy Corvus Corax and Schelmish. Especially CC are live a sight to behold.

Varg is a very controversial topic at the moment. Freki, the current singer, had a picture taken with the wrong people with connections to NSBM a while back. So at the moment they are trying to get rid of this image of belonging to the NSBM scene themselves. I talked to them at Metalfest Hungary a week ago and saw their show. They kick ass live (the lyrics however are indeed somewhat short-witted - especially when you are faced with such accusations - and could give people the wrong idea). If you focus on the band/music itself I can safely say that their former frontman/singer/composer was way better than Freki, so if you want to check out their CDs first I'd prefer their debut "Wolfszeit" over the new release "Blutaar". But I'm looking forward to seeing them live again at Metalcamp!

Hope that gives you some idea as to what to expect and what's worth seeing. :headbanger:

Thanks very much for all this info about Delain, etc., Maddy! Very cool you do interviews and stuff with bands. The reason I'm so psyched about Corvus Corax in particular is that this is the kind of band/group one would never see in the U.S. at a metal or rock fest! (someone told me they did play at some U.S. Renaissance fair somewhere though) Can any American picture them at Ozzfest for example? :lol: I'm hoping they do Cantus buranus like they did at Wacken 2008 (wasn't there but here is the youtube for anyone who is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvnywZdNl5Y ) Regarding Varg, I did know about some of the controversy cause there was some stuff on the Wacken site and forums about it - don't know the whole story, but understand the sensitivity of the issue. Have a great time at Metalcamp by the way!

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Corvus Corax (Germany - watched some youtube vids of them - wow!)

Hmmm... I'm confused. Just watched a couple youtube vids. Why are these guys performing at a metal fest?

Maybe I just listened to the wrong songs (essentially NO guitar in them at all)... Just checked out Subway to Sally and In Extremo and can see how they qualify. Maybe some CC sounds the same but just not the samples I heard?

Yeah ShoreSlayer - it's a bit of an enigma to me too as an American. Check out the video above of them at Wacken at 2008 - pretty amazing to see so many metalheads into them! And get this - Corvus Corax is scheduled as the closing group on Friday night following Slayer!! This I gotta see :cool: :D
    Side note: another mystery to me - why do so many German guys wear kilts at Wacken? :P Didn't expect that - but actually thought they looked pretty cool ;) Again - if a guy wore a kilt at a U.S. metal gig - I think he would definitely get a lot of weird looks!)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 am

tyrwoman wrote:Side note: another mystery to me - why do so many German guys wear kilts at Wacken? :P Didn't expect that - but actually thought they looked pretty cool ;) Again - if a guy wore a kilt at a U.S. metal gig - I think he would definitely get a lot of weird looks!)

I have a buddy here who wears nothing but kilts. They've made quite a return in the past decade or so and I often see guys at gigs as well as just walking down the road wearing them. Probably the same in at least some parts of the US.

That's sweet that CC is closing. Really shows the festival's dedication to providing a very diverse experience. Have a blast!

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat May 29, 2010 4:21 am

In terms of bands to see play you should prioritise Iron Maiden and The Special Grave Digger show.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat May 29, 2010 5:30 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Side note: another mystery to me - why do so many German guys wear kilts at Wacken? :P Didn't expect that - but actually thought they looked pretty cool ;) Again - if a guy wore a kilt at a U.S. metal gig - I think he would definitely get a lot of weird looks!)

I have a buddy here who wears nothing but kilts. They've made quite a return in the past decade or so and I often see guys at gigs as well as just walking down the road wearing them. Probably the same in at least some parts of the US.

That's sweet that CC is closing. Really shows the festival's dedication to providing a very diverse experience. Have a blast!

Cool about your friend who wears kilts - I think they look great (especially paired with black boots and band shirts :beerwink: ) Maybe people in the other parts of the U.S. wear them more - but at all the shows I've been to in the past 4 years or so, I've only seen a couple of 'em. For example, I do know a guy who wore one to the Korpiklaani/Tyr gig in January, and I know a non-metal guy who always wears them to Porcupine Tree shows - known as "kilt-man" to some) but that's about all I can remember. Maybe they are more popular in Canada?! My last comment about kilts is this. It was about 2 in the morning one of the nights at Wacken last summer (Friday and Saturday it goes on till 3am - another thing that wouldn't happen at any outdoor music fest in the U.S. that I know of)....I was getting a drink and I commented to this guy in a kilt in the line that it got a lot colder that night than I expected (and I only had a light jacket), to which he replied while smiling "you think you're cold, I'm not wearing anything under this kilt!" :lol:

Like said above, I think Wacken does a great job of providing variety (as I'm sure the Metal Cruise people will do as well). Another highlight from last year was Volbeat from Denmark (rockabilly yeah!) Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNNfKoIqt5k It's really all quite overwhelming because there's so much great music - over 100 bands this year - http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/main-b ... ling-2010/ I mentioned Slayer and Corvus Corax closing out one of the main stages Friday night - that same night Grave Digger and Anvil are the last to go on the second main stage (those two stages alternate so the bands won't overlap.) But then, there's the "Party Stage" with 1349 followed by Atrocity to close. And that's just the end of one day that begins at 11 in the morning. My friend and I referred to the whole experience as a metal marathon - if you haven't been - I highly recommend it!!! The woman I'm going on the cruise with in fact is someone I met at Wacken and kept in touch with. Good times :cheers:

Metalwrath wrote:In terms of bands to see play you should prioritise Iron Maiden and The Special Grave Digger show.

Yeah Metalwrath, Iron Maiden is a must - they are the big opening night act along with Alice Cooper and Motley Crue. Thanks for the heads up recommendation on Grave Digger - that's another band I've heard of but don't know that much about - as you said there's a big 30 year anniversary show http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/main-b ... -digger10/ - I'll be there - thanks! :headbanger:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat May 29, 2010 6:24 am

Been there 3 times.And retired from my Wacken attending after the one in 07.
    Have been tempted to go back last year for the RunningWild show but the bank wouldn't give me a loan for it(bastards!)
    Was also thinking about going this year soley based on the Grave Digger show but unfortunatly i can't spare anymore time off work and i suppose there's the money factor too :P
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun May 30, 2010 5:52 am

Metalwrath wrote:Been there 3 times.And retired from my Wacken attending after the one in 07.

3 times? - :cool: Funny that you said "retired" - made me think of retiring from a job or something. I have a hunch I will be retiring from my Wacken attending after this one too. Not that I don't absolutely love it - it's just that like most people here I imagine - I only have so much free time and money and there are several other festivals and other travel experiences that are on my must do list. :beerwink:

To boot - last year was the 20th anniversary and such an amazing experience for me on so many levels. I didn't write on the Ronnie James Dio RIP thread - maybe because I couldn't bring myself to do it soon after he died. He had performed at Wacken several times and last year of course turned out to be his last. The guy blew me away - what a performer - what a spirit - what a life! Yeah - the guy was 67, but shit, it did make me pause and think about mortality and all. Besides Heaven and Hell in 2009 - there was Lemmy and the boys of Motorhead totally rockin out - another amazing performance. SO many great bands - in addition to some I mentioned seeing in 09 already (In Extremo, Subway to Sally, and Volbeat), there was Amon Amarth, Testament, and Epica (some of my favorites and also on the cruise - yay!), Korpiklaani and Beer, Beer! at 2 in the morning, Turisas! (love those crazy Finns!!), Enslaved, In Flames, Borknagar, Machine Head (epic performance!), and many more. This summer with the likes of Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Immortal, and Slayer (and Corvus Corax!), I don't know if I could top the 2009 and 2010 Wackens. So after this summer - it's onward to the cruise (which I anticipate will be phenomenal :headbanger: ) and beyond!!! :D :cheers: :D
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun May 30, 2010 6:06 am

Yeah i've seen many great shows at the festival in the past.
    Highlight beeing Dio in 04 and the Warlock Reunion show in 04.
    Also Doro + Blaze Bayley + an orchestra was pretty funny. :lol:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon May 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Looks like i'm only attending the 2nd day of Dong Open Air now.
    Just found a one day festival called Celtic rock open air that takes place in a castle and has Haggard and Wolfchant playing :viking:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Fuck yeah!

It just got announced that we will be playing the 4th annual Noctis festival!
    Noctis IV: Thrones of War

Here's the lineup: (I think one band still needs to be announced..)

SODOM
    INCANTATION
    METSATOLL
    MANEGARM
    THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
    ROOT
    EX DEO
    MIDNIGHT
    MARTIAL BARRAGE
    VIATHYN
    DIVINITY
    STRIKER
    OMINOSITY
    MARK OF CAIN
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 pm

viathyn wrote:Fuck yeah!

It just got announced that we will be playing the 4th annual Noctis festival!
    Noctis IV: Thrones of War

Here's the lineup: (I think one band still needs to be announced..)

SODOM
    INCANTATION
    METSATOLL
    MANEGARM
    THE DEVIL'S BLOOD
    ROOT
    EX DEO
    MIDNIGHT
    MARTIAL BARRAGE
    VIATHYN
    DIVINITY
    STRIKER
    OMINOSITY
    MARK OF CAIN

Congradulations! :cheers: :headbanger:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Sweet news Jacob! Congratz!! :headbanger:

For all you guys attending various European fests this summer, Raven just got added to a bunch of them. In case you weren't familiar with them and wanted to check them out before the cruise, here are the dates:

12.06. SWE-Sölvesborg - Sweden Rock Festival
    19.06. F-Clisson - Hellfest
    25.06. B-Dessel - Graspop Metal Meeting
    26.06. I-Collegno - Gods Of Metal Festival
    31.07. D-Brande bei Elmshorn - Headbangers Open Air
    01.08. NL-Kerkraade - The Rock Temple
    02.08. D-Egelsee - Schwarzer Adler
    03.08. D-Essen - Turock
    04.08. NL-Den Haag - Het Paard
    05.08. CH-Uster - Rock City
    06.08. D-Wacken - Wacken Open Air
    07.08. B-Deinze - Alcatraz Metal Festival

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:42 pm

I hope to go to Noctis if the airfare drops. I was talking to my friend from Absu (Proscriptor McGovern) at the Baltimore Airport before we flew home Monday from MDF and he said he would go for ROOT alone!
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks Deb and Rob!

Yeah Scott It's a pretty cool lineup this year. Since I will be living in Edmonton when the festival is, I was likely going to make it back down to Calgary to see it for The Devil's Blood and Manegarm mainly. Now that I'm playing it I guess I'll be going for sure! haha

Please check out my band

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:37 pm

viathyn wrote:Thanks Deb and Rob!

Yeah Scott It's a pretty cool lineup this year. Since I will be living in Edmonton when the festival is, I was likely going to make it back down to Calgary to see it for The Devil's Blood and Manegarm mainly. Now that I'm playing it I guess I'll be going for sure! haha

I am going to this for sure. covering it for my online webzine. Yeah TDB rule. I will see them the month prior at Hole in the Sky in Norway.

Look forward to seeing Viathyn and the new album on August 07th.

Cheers,

Scott
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:37 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:
    viathyn wrote:Thanks Deb and Rob!

I am going to this for sure. covering it for my online webzine. Yeah TDB rule. I will see them the month prior at Hole in the Sky in Norway.

Look forward to seeing Viathyn and the new album on August 07th.

Cheers,

Scott

Fuckin' eh dude!! That will be totally sweet!!
    Thanks for the 'looking forward'!! :cheers: :cheers:

Please check out my band

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Ok Hotel room is booked at the Ramada Inn where the Metal Conference is. But the Ramada does not have a airport shuttle. The only option is a Canuk pick up or a fuckin taxi! My flight gets in at 12:25pm on Thursday September 23rd.

If Sodom cancel then I know who I will be throwing overboard on the cruise when EVERYONE is looking.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:32 am

I can't have more than just two weeks of vacation this summer because of work and will spend it for the Metalcamp trip. We'll go by car and the whole trip is around 6000 km. Through the Baltic countries and Poland to Germany, Austria and Italy, then Tolmin, Slovenia(where MC is being held). On the way back we'll spend a couple of days in Bratislava and a couple in Prague. Then on to Poland(and Auschwitz) and back north.
    Last summer we did the trip in my motorhome, but this year booked a room in Tolmin and go by car. Maybe next summer we'll take the motorhome again and spend three or four weeks on the trip. :)

Oh, in August there's a quite small festival in Finland to which I go every year, Jalometalli. Carcass, Suffocation, Triptykon, Macabre... should be great.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    jassiak
    Crewman

by jassiak » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Memnoch wrote:I can't have more than just two weeks of vacation this summer because of work and will spend it for the Metalcamp trip. We'll go by car and the whole trip is around 6000 km. Through the Baltic countries and Poland to Germany, Austria and Italy, then Tolmin, Slovenia(where MC is being held). On the way back we'll spend a couple of days in Bratislava and a couple in Prague. Then on to Poland(and Auschwitz) and back north.
    Last summer we did the trip in my motorhome, but this year booked a room in Tolmin and go by car. Maybe next summer we'll take the motorhome again and spend three or four weeks on the trip. :)

Oh, in August there's a quite small festival in Finland to which I go every year, Jalometalli. Carcass, Suffocation, Triptykon, Macabre... should be great.

After metal camp and stop over in Bratislava (my hometown) you should head to Vizovice for Masters of Rock festival and only after that head to Prague :viking:
    I can see clearly now, a painful vision indeed
    An attack on hallowed ground, from high above
    Alien to us, the species known as man
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 am

just 2 more days till drive by for graspop... cant wait... cant for the f of me remember any bands... but this festival is my home turf in festival walhalla for the last 7 years... so ill be drinking like its '99:P
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:Ok Hotel room is booked at the Ramada Inn where the Metal Conference is. But the Ramada does not have a airport shuttle. The only option is a Canuk pick up or a fuckin taxi! My flight gets in at 12:25pm on Thursday September 23rd.

If Sodom cancel then I know who I will be throwing overboard on the cruise when EVERYONE is looking.

Also dude, I would totally pick you up but I won't be in Calgary until the Friday afternoon. (I'll be in Edmonton)

I talked with the Noctis head-honcho on saturday at the kick-off party.. there's one more headlinber for friday still TBA!!!!

Please check out my band

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Memnoch wrote:I can't have more than just two weeks of vacation this summer because of work and will spend it for the Metalcamp trip. We'll go by car and the whole trip is around 6000 km. Through the Baltic countries and Poland to Germany, Austria and Italy, then Tolmin, Slovenia(where MC is being held). On the way back we'll spend a couple of days in Bratislava and a couple in Prague. Then on to Poland(and Auschwitz) and back north.

jassiak wrote:After metal camp and stop over in Bratislava (my hometown) you should head to Vizovice for Masters of Rock festival and only after that head to Prague :viking:

Could be fun, but I have to be home by 18th(and at work on Monday :cry: ).
    Are there any good metal bars in Bratislava? After a week of heavy drinking in Tolmin we might need a beer or ten. :D
    Wishlist:
    jassiak
    Crewman

by jassiak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Memnoch wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Could be fun, but I have to be home by 18th(and at work on Monday :cry: ).
    Are there any good metal bars in Bratislava? After a week of heavy drinking in Tolmin we might need a beer or ten. :D

Too bad man..
    As for Bratislava not many metal/rock oriented bars (you can try RockOK, Aligator or Randal) however there are plenty good places to get beer in :)
    I can see clearly now, a painful vision indeed
    An attack on hallowed ground, from high above
    Alien to us, the species known as man
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:32 am

Memnoch wrote:

jassiak wrote:After metal camp and stop over in Bratislava (my hometown) you should head to Vizovice for Masters of Rock festival and only after that head to Prague :viking:

Could be fun, but I have to be home by 18th(and at work on Monday :cry: ).

Yeah you should come to Bratislava.I'm heading there after Metalcamp before Masters of rock.Hopefully there will be a few parties :twisted:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Scott, whenever you read this ROTTEN SOUND is headlining friday @ noctis.

Lineup Done!
    sodom, rotten sound, metsatoll, incantation, the devils blood, manegarm, ex deo, root, martial barrage, midnight, divinity, me :mrgreen: , striker, ominosity, mark of cain.

I can't wait for this! Biggest show I've played yet.

Please check out my band

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:39 pm

viathyn wrote:Scott, whenever you read this ROTTEN SOUND is headlining friday @ noctis.

Lineup Done!
    sodom, rotten sound, metsatoll, incantation, the devils blood, manegarm, ex deo, root, martial barrage, midnight, divinity, me :mrgreen: , striker, ominosity, mark of cain.

I can't wait for this! Biggest show I've played yet.

SO wish I could afford to do this trip. Sadly, I can't name one song by anyone other than Sodom (oh, and that one by Striker about fucking volcanoes), but I'm sure it will kick the living shit out of what we're being offered here in Vancouver this summer:

Rockstar Energy Drink Uproar Festival

Disturbed & Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Halestorm, Hellyeah, Hail The Villain and New Medicine

So yeah, here in the Northwestern reaches of North America, this is what passes for a 'festival'. I wouldn't mind seeing Hellyeah just out of respect for Vinnie Paul and could probably find my way to enjoying about half of a Disturbed performance but I'm mostly uninspired by this lineup. I wish I was a skilled, experienced and wealthy promoter with the strings to build a better metal world here in Vancouver.

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 am

If you end up by some black magic being able to afford it.. there's likely a couch with your name on it dude!

haha yeah striker are pretty funny. Good guys too.

Of the other ones: Divinity is another Calgary band (Previously on Nuclear Blast, now signed to Candlelight) and they kick all kinds of ass.
    You should check out Manegarm and The Devil's Blood as well. Good shit!!

/recommendation. :mrgreen:

Please check out my band

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:58 am

Also: sorry to hear about vancouver's 'metal' festival schedule.. that's pretty weak considering what a thriving scene you guys have out there (at least compared to here). It's just the luck of the draw that Terese and Scarab Productions are out here in Cow-Town.

You guys did get blind guardian a few years back though...

Please check out my band

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am

Yeah, we've actually got a pretty sweet run of gigs here this year so I'm not bitching in that regard. Just the lack of festivals. It'd be nice if someone in Western Canada had what's needed to organize something that would become an annual metal mecca even remotely close to what Europe puts on about ten/year lol. We just suck compared to Europe in that regard is all.

I checked out TDB on youtube this morning and was surprised at how much more of 'rock' band TDB was than I expected. From the short mentions I've read on here, I was expecting something heavier. I liked them but not floored or blown away by 'em by any means.

Listening to my first Manegram song (Genom Valdar Nio) right now and really likin' it.

And thanks man, if I can find my way there, I'll for sure be in touch, even if it's just to whip marshmallows at yer head from the front of the stage (gotta keep ya on yer toes y'know?)

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:03 am

Memnoch wrote:Are there any good metal bars in Bratislava? After a week of heavy drinking in Tolmin we might need a beer or ten. :D

Metalwrath wrote:Yeah you should come to Bratislava.I'm heading there after Metalcamp before Masters of rock.Hopefully there will be a few parties :twisted:

I'm thinking of maybe staying off the metal bars and all while in Bratislava. Perhaps we'll just go for a pint in the old town. Yeah, right. :D Planning on going for a pint or two usually leads to a massive headache in the next morning. :D

We visited Bratislava last year and stayed at a camping site in Zlate Piesky. Easily accessed by trams 2 or 4, if I remember correctly - at least the tram 4, it was at the end of that line. They have cottages as well, so that might be a fine place to sleep.
    Wishlist:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:43 am

Inquisition are playing in Vancouver. Extreme Black Metal and quite a live experience. Since its just 2 dudes. Drummer and guitar/vocalist. Very powerful stuff.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:22 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:Inquisition are playing in Vancouver. Extreme Black Metal and quite a live experience. Since its just 2 dudes. Drummer and guitar/vocalist. Very powerful stuff.

Wait i thought we were talking about metal festivals in this thread? :lol:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 am

Like this is not the first "derailed"thread here. :lol:

Jake- Yeah cool thanks. 30 dollar cab fare! I understand. I am sure it will work out. I hope I can find a roomie for the room at the Ramada because if I am still not working then I will be FUCKED. As I will not have over 300 dollars to thrown down for a room. Maybe it will be warm enough to sleep in the garbage cans around back of the Ramada?
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

If you can't find someone I will likely have a couch for ya on the friday night, and maybe saturday. I won't be in calgary until friday afternoon, and then I'll go back to edmonton pretty early sunday morning.
    Just let me know :beerwink:

Please check out my band

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:16 pm

No worries Jake, I am sure I will find someone. If worse comes to worse I can find someone on the BC "Blood Red" forum.

I just got the email from Melissa at Noctis and-

Hey Scott,

Your request for press accreditation has been accepted! Your press pass will grant you complimentary access to the Noctis Metal Music Conference, and both concerts at Mac Hall. The pass will be available for pick-up at the Registration Desk of the Noctis Metal Music Conference on the morning of Friday, September 24th (remember to bring photo ID).

I thought I applied for a photo pass but I did not get approved for some reason.

:viking:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 pm

That's awesome! Melissa is good people, she's been pretty helpful to us :)

So what does your press pass entail? Will you be writing up some professional review/story? Photos?

Please check out my band