Post Reply 7944 posts
Your last gig and your next gig...
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

Re: Your last gig and your next gig...

by Amyphis » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:24 am

Saw Obscura last night and met EvilDan. Both were awesome.
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
  • NikiDT
    Oiler

by NikiDT » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:19 am

Previous: Fejd + Saltatio Mortis
    Next: Channel Zero
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 am

Amyphis wrote:Saw Obscura last night and met EvilDan. Both were awesome.

I AM! :bangers:

First off, sorry for not meeting up with you for after show snacks.

As y'all are starting to notice, my gig reviews tend to have little to do with the music. So the first thing I noticed was that Taco (The League) was at the show. And there was a lesbian moshpit. One girl, who I've seen each time I've been to this place, likes to do somersaults and rolls through the pit. Awesome! Lots of beer spilled in the pit, which meant they would bring out the mop and spread it everywhere! Surprised I didn't see more people wipe out.

Got to meet Amyphis, who is awesome! And Texasheavymetal was there to give me beard-envy. ;) Was able to express some things about the cruise that I'm not comfortable posting at this time.

Primodius was good, as was Gravestones. Enfold Darkness had to be metalcore. I don't know why. I just know it didn't fit, and I didn't like it. Abysmal Dawn was great, and Obscura was phenomenal. I think I counted 50 people at the show when I walked through, which is disappointing. Cover was $12, so I have to wonder how they made ANY money. At least I gave them some money for a shirt. Supports my theory that Fort Worth metalheads will travel to Dallas, but Dallas metalheads will not travel to Fort Worth.

Next up, Friday with Mayhem and Keep of Kalessin, followed by Sylosis and $25 for the other bands I couldn't give 2 shits about.

Oh, and Amyphis, beware future creeping. :D
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm

decided to go to the VNV Nation show today. Back in the 90's when they came out I was very impressed by their unigues take on the goth industrial sound, and they really stood out... around 2005 I really lost interest in that whole scene as all the bands started becoming very generic and were mostly all just doing what had already been done... apparently, VNV Nation went along with the rest of that scene since I'd left it, and aside from the handful of older tracks they played, I was very unimpressed... a shame, too
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 am

Last Night: Warbringer & Evil Shepherd in Brussels (Belgium)
    Tonight: Hooverphonic in Heerlen (Netherlands)

Quite a contrast :D
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 am

4th row tickets to Deep Purple February 19th presale is HUSH
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:17 am

Saturday night, Crown The Lost are playing their final gig... and at only $5, I'm totally there...

also a plus that the girl I'm interested in wants to go with me :wank:
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:35 am

Ended up going to watch a local crust band Appalachian Terror Unit on Wednesday, played with a band from Richmond, VA called Aghast. Overall was a shitty show and an even shittier next day at work. Drinking for 12 hours, sleeping for 3, then working for 9. Was fun though.

Next stop: Columbus for Arkona.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 am

Last night:
    Tesseract - Caught the second half of the set, not bad.. these guys need to eat though.. they probably weighed about a collective 400 pounds.
    Animals as Leaders - Suffered from some sound issues and were very stoic live (as always) but had phenomenal playing and really cool visuals to go with their music.
    BTBAM - These guys are tight as hell, full of energy, and (likely due to their metalcore tendencies at parts) aren't recognized as much as they should be. They are one of the most underrated progressive bands out there.

Tonight: Skipping Arkona and Korpiklaani in lieu of Devin Townsend doing a tour kickoff here tonight. A couple of my buddies are opening the night and I want to show them some support as well. I'm very stoked. I'm going to buy a ziltoid puppet haha.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 am

viathyn wrote: Tonight: Skipping Arkona and Korpiklaani in lieu of Devin Townsend doing a tour kickoff here tonight. A couple of my buddies are opening the night and I want to show them some support as well. I'm very stoked. I'm going to buy a ziltoid puppet haha.

Lucky dude. Have a good time. I need to track down one of those puppets!!

Last gig was Judas Priest last night. Was kind of a last minute decision. Since I was in Miami for work anyway I decided to go. Amanda couldn't make it so I was flying solo. Got a lawn ticket but everybody I knew had seats so I spent much time wandering around and drinking beers. Was a fun show and the weather was goddamn beautiful! :deathhorns:

Ran into Donn and the rest of my crew after the show was over but couldn't hang out very long since I had a 2 hour drive home. Also ran into Tom Cruise and his friend Eric briefly.

hehe, I was starving so I hit up a Taco Bell when I was about 10 miles from home. Not long after that I got pulled over. Apparently my tag light was out, but yeah, you could tell they had nothing else going on and were looking for someone to harass. But the cop wasn't too bad and he just sent me off with a warning to get it fixed.
    Have a good time...all the time.
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Last gig was Judas Priest last weekend and it ruled!!

Next gig..tonight...Armored Saint!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Sinister Realm wrote:Last gig was Judas Priest last weekend and it ruled!!

Have fun! Saw Armored Saint earlier in the year and they put on an awesome show. Damn, wish they would play more.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:

Have fun! Saw Armored Saint earlier in the year and they put on an awesome show. Damn, wish they would play more.

That was such a great show!!! Glad we got to see it! :D
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Even if Virgin Steele is the mysterious cancellation rumor, I still have...

http://www.facebook.com/RagnarokkrMetal

to look forward to seeing them.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 am

My last show was Melt Banana in Vegas and my next is Korpiklaani in LA, 5 more days! :shred: :givebeer:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:54 am

junkhead13 wrote:Last gig was Judas Priest last night. Was kind of a last minute decision. Since I was in Miami for work anyway I decided to go. Amanda couldn't make it so I was flying solo. Got a lawn ticket but everybody I knew had seats so I spent much time wandering around and drinking beers. Was a fun show and the weather was goddamn beautiful! :deathhorns:

Ran into Donn and the rest of my crew after the show was over but couldn't hang out very long since I had a 2 hour drive home. Also ran into Tom Cruise and his friend Eric briefly.

hehe, I was starving so I hit up a Taco Bell when I was about 10 miles from home. Not long after that I got pulled over. Apparently my tag light was out, but yeah, you could tell they had nothing else going on and were looking for someone to harass. But the cop wasn't too bad and he just sent me off with a warning to get it fixed.

sounds like a fun night!
    my next gig will be a one-day-festival called "Knockout"---and since I'm driving to Karlsruhe on my own, I'll most likely spend most of the time at the bar or wandering around, too :D
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:50 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

That was such a great show!!! Glad we got to see it! :D

Indeed! :party: I remember some of the really, ummmmm, interesting people in the crowd that we ran into throughout the night too. :stagger: :lol: :shock:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 am

cycosurgeon wrote:Even if Virgin Steele is the mysterious cancellation rumor, I still have...

http://www.facebook.com/RagnarokkrMetal

to look forward to seeing them.

Tempted to sell my cabin space on the cruise and go to this instead :twisted:
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:41 am

Yesterday: Finsterforst & Chain of Dogs
    Tomorrow: Thrashfest Classics (Exodus, Destruction, Heathen, Sepultura & Mortal Sin)
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 am

Last gig: Korpiklaani et al @ Reggie's; looks like I missed a few of yous guys there!
    Next gig: Probably nothing until the cruise! Not sure what my Xmas-time plans are, but I am actually off for the aforementioned Macabre/Yakuza/Novembers Doom show at Reggie's. If I'm around, I'll probably check that out.

And Ragnarökkr eh? That's certainly worth thinking about down the road, being that's it's nearby.
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Emperor-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Candlemass-/-DarkTranquillity-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:04 am

So last night was Mayhem. Let's see what I remember.

Ran into a bunch of people I knew, which was a little strange. Very well attended, so I was pleased about that. (Dallas can be flaky.) Lots of good beards, and a herd of gothapotami. Most of the chicks looked like huge eggs on tiny legs. And it was a fairly young crowd. One dude was totally decked out in 80s jean-jacket hair metal attire. I should have gotten a picture. Tons of "Jesus is a Cunt" shirts. They must have been so embarrassed.

There were a bunch of chicks dressed (well, barely) as white wolves. Very sexy. I should have gotten pictures. Again. I'm just bad at that.

Someone asked me if I was from Gorgoroth, which I found freaking hilarious. Must be the beard and my sour demeanor. :P

First band, I vaguely recall from the Triptykon show. I think they were called Obsidian Throne? Decent band. Splatta-fish I've commented on before, so I won't waste space. However, at this point, we were informed that Hate and Keep of Kalessin weren't going to be making the show as they were stranded somewhere. And Abigail Williams came on. Dude I was standing next to didn't enjoy them at all, so it detracted from the show.

We were expecting a long break until Mayhem, but then Hate started playing. Their set was extremely short, as I think the previous bands played longer to try to fill time when they thought they weren't going to show. And Keep was really good too. So glad they were able to make it.

However, it was really Mayhem that everyone was there to see. It was powerful. In some ways, it reminded me of being at Amon Amarth, when it felt like we were raising old gods, but this was different. A black celebration. The vibe was just awesome. It feels like it's been ages since I've walked away from a show saying, "Now THAT was a Black Metal show!" And at times, I caught myself thinking Laura would be LOVING this right now. Having trouble really putting it into words, but it was a phenomenal time.
    :bmhorns:

Oh, and next is Sylosis on Thursday.

soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 am

Tonight - Inquisition! :bmhorns:

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 am

Glad you had fun Dan! I was certainly more impressed with Mayhem's show than I thought I would be. It's a shame you didn't get a full set from the touring bands.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 am

soundcurve wrote:Tonight - Inquisition! :bmhorns:

Just found out that Inquisition will be in town playing what was the most popular strip club when I was in college. Evidently, they still have the dungeon room and other themed rooms. So I may have to check that out. :bmhorns:

Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:29 pm

EvilDan wrote: and a herd of gothapotami. Most of the chicks looked like huge eggs on tiny legs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude your reviews are so great!!! I totally have to hang out with you on broad. You are hysterical!!! :D

What were you expecting? This... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:39 am

just got home from Crown The Lost's final show. It went really well, and I'm glad I got to see them one last time. Unfortunately, they were an exceptional band and it's a shame they're done.

As of now I know of no shows before the cruise...

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:39 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:just got home from Crown The Lost's final show. It went really well, and I'm glad I got to see them one last time. Unfortunately, they were an exceptional band and it's a shame they're done.

Why they call it quits?
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    EvilDan wrote: and a herd of gothapotami. Most of the chicks looked like huge eggs on tiny legs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude your reviews are so great!!! I totally have to hang out with you on broad. You are hysterical!!! :D

What were you expecting? This... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank ya, nice lady. Absolutely. However, I may have to watch my opinions, I would hate to point something out only to hear "Dude! That's my roommate, you dick!" :lol:

Some of the girls reminded me of Violet Beauregarde. (After she turns violet, except wearing black.) :lol:

That is a more palatable goth to me, except I like less plastic and more realistic measurements in my women. :D

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:17 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:just got home from Crown The Lost's final show. It went really well, and I'm glad I got to see them one last time. Unfortunately, they were an exceptional band and it's a shame they're done.

Why they call it quits?

their rhythm guitarist is kind of a dick, but it's *his* band, and he finally drove the lead guitarist to quit, and the dude's just way too good and not replaceable in this city... luckily, he came back for this final show.
    They'd had line up issues in the past but always been able to end up with improvements with the drummer, bassist and singer... this time it just wasn't possible

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    SS1349
    Oiler

by SS1349 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 pm

My last gig was Skrillex at The Warehouse Project in Manchester UK. My first filthy dubstep gig, in some caverns underneath a train station.

I'm still recovering a few days later, it was absolutely insane :viking:

At the minute my next gig is....

....70000 tons

:D
    70k Wishlist; Immortal, Amon Amarth, Epica, Finntroll, Soilwork, Arkona, 1349, Insomnium, Finsterforst, Kromlek
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 am

gnoff wrote:
    Tuup wrote:Tomorrow: Thrashfest Classics (Exodus, Destruction, Heathen, Sepultura & Mortal Sin)

It's on for Tuesday for me! :death:

Enjoy! It was absolutely amazing! :headbanger:
    Can't wait to see the same package again in two weeks :D

My next gig will be a bit gayer though: Crashdiet
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Seeing Opeth on the 16th Dec. I still haven't heard Heritage, maybe I should because I've seen the setlists and it's mostly Heritage. Is anyone else going?
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:33 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:Seeing Opeth on the 16th Dec. I still haven't heard Heritage, maybe I should because I've seen the setlists and it's mostly Heritage. Is anyone else going?

I saw it in October. No more DM Opeth :cry:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I've heard he has ruined his voice, does anyone know if this is true/the reason he doesn't do growling vocals anymore?
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:I've heard he has ruined his voice, does anyone know if this is true/the reason he doesn't do growling vocals anymore?

He still does DM growls, Bloodbath performed two songs on the final night of the just completed US tour with Mikael on vocals. However they are touring Heritage which is all clean singing so it's very likely it'll be a similar if not identical set list to what they've been performing lately.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for that. I've heard from a few people that he will never do them again due to injury so I'm glad to hear otherwise :)
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:Thanks for that. I've heard from a few people that he will never do them again due to injury so I'm glad to hear otherwise :)

i love his clean voice but his growls rule too!!!! glad to hear also!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 am

So next up for me is Sylosis who's playing (probably first... boo) Friday the 9th in Dallas with iwrestedabearonce, the ghost inside, of mice and men, as i lay dying. And then Inquisition on Sunday the 11th in Arlington.

Anyone in the DFW area going to either of those shows?

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 am

EvilDan wrote:So last night was Mayhem. Let's see what I remember.

Ran into a bunch of people I knew, which was a little strange. Very well attended, so I was pleased about that. (Dallas can be flaky.) Lots of good beards, and a herd of gothapotami. Most of the chicks looked like huge eggs on tiny legs. And it was a fairly young crowd. One dude was totally decked out in 80s jean-jacket hair metal attire. I should have gotten a picture. Tons of "Jesus is a Cunt" shirts. They must have been so embarrassed.

There were a bunch of chicks dressed (well, barely) as white wolves. Very sexy. I should have gotten pictures. Again. I'm just bad at that.

Someone asked me if I was from Gorgoroth, which I found freaking hilarious. Must be the beard and my sour demeanor. :P

First band, I vaguely recall from the Triptykon show. I think they were called Obsidian Throne? Decent band. Splatta-fish I've commented on before, so I won't waste space. However, at this point, we were informed that Hate and Keep of Kalessin weren't going to be making the show as they were stranded somewhere. And Abigail Williams came on. Dude I was standing next to didn't enjoy them at all, so it detracted from the show.

We were expecting a long break until Mayhem, but then Hate started playing. Their set was extremely short, as I think the previous bands played longer to try to fill time when they thought they weren't going to show. And Keep was really good too. So glad they were able to make it.

However, it was really Mayhem that everyone was there to see. It was powerful. In some ways, it reminded me of being at Amon Amarth, when it felt like we were raising old gods, but this was different. A black celebration. The vibe was just awesome. It feels like it's been ages since I've walked away from a show saying, "Now THAT was a Black Metal show!" And at times, I caught myself thinking Laura would be LOVING this right now. Having trouble really putting it into words, but it was a phenomenal time.
    :bmhorns:

Oh, and next is Sylosis on Thursday.

Hey Dan - just saw this - Great creative writing as always! :cheers: And nice you thought of me :P - it's funny, because I often do that - think of friends who live elsewhere when I see a band I know they really like. Don't know if you saw my quick review from when I saw them on the Chicago leg on November 13th - wrote the following the next day....

Laura wrote:So - went to see Mayhem last night and they were great! As I said in a previous post, I couldn't make it early enough to see the opening bands, but was glad at least to see Mayhem! I had never seen them before the final night of Hole in the Sky in August. Comparing the two gigs - they were quite different - first of all, at HITS, the USF venue has a good size stage and holds nearly 2,000 I believe, plus it was packed in there. The sold out capacity of Reggie's is 400 and I'm guessing there were 300-350 there which allowed for a pretty crazy pit. I met up with fellow cruiser Nikki (Anika's roommate last year), and we stayed on the left clear of the pit. As I usually do, toward the end, I worked my way up pretty close - 2nd row standing. Atilla is so out there and interesting to watch - after a while - it dawned on me that between his get-up, entirely painted head and face, the skull and noose thingy he held on to the whole time, and relentless drumming and otherwise intense music - the whole experience kind of struck me like a Shamanistic ritual of sorts. I hadn't really thought about any band in that way before - but in their case it fits imo. What would make it even better along those lines though, would be to see them in some unusual small-scale outdoor fest setting - ideally in a place like Gudvangan, Norway - now THAT would be awesome!

When you said this: In some ways, it reminded me of being at Amon Amarth, when it felt like we were raising old gods, but this was different. A black celebration, it made me think of what I had said about it being akin to a Shamanistic ritual of sorts. To elaborate on that - what I meant by Shamanistic ritual was kind of an umbrella term in my mind for all of those rituals that are practiced by so-called tribal or non-western societies. I've had great interest in this kind of thing for quite some time - so I think that is yet another reason why I'm especially drawn to certain aspects of several black metal bands and their music. I've mentioned this on the black metal thread - whether or not specific band members are really genuine or authentic in their "satanic" beliefs is irrelevant to me - regardless, I find the music (and yes, to use the Yiddish slang word - the schtick ;) ) to be highly interesting and entertaining. When you said "raising old gods" - I totally get that on a symbolic level....and I'll add that I think in the case of the Mayhem gig and the whole skull bit, the relentless heavy sound of the music, and so on - they're "raising" or portraying that which is dark :twisted: ....the unrestrained id in all of us. (and I like it very much, on a symbolic level, that is)
    /end spacey talk. :lol:
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 am

thats kinda upsetting they were fantastic
Post Reply 7944 posts