Post Reply 653 posts
Black Metal
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm

    Laura wrote:Just listened to this - like it! Solid stuff - do you know if they've ever toured here in the US?
    Here's another name to throw in the ring: Helheim from Bergen, Norway :cool: ;)
    Never heard of them before I saw them announced for HITS - they are referred to as viking black metal. I bought 2 of their albums in the past month - Yersinia Pestis from 2003 and Kaoskult from 2008 (they've got a bunch - been around since 1992!) I like both VERY much - here's a song called Northern Forces from Kaoskult http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxE8xwRI ... ata_player

    That Watain story is humorous the way you told it :P - The friend you're referring to is Kent right? I seem to remember him talking about that gig. For the record - I think I draw the line at the idea of smelling rotting animals - a bit too :twisted: ;)


    Yea, SotM tour here with Moonspell. Saw them down Jaxx and it was awesome though most people didn't know who they were (fair enough). Lucifer Speaks At the show I was at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWYSNzeKT0 Song kicks up round 1:40 mark. Or the CD version (good quality) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3iah1Hw_S0

    Haha, yea that was Kent. I drag him along to all my black metal shows (though at that show Goatwhore was playing who he likes alot.) Was a good show though and yea Watain is gimmicky as shit to me. Their philosophy doesn't even pan out right. I mean, they still write fairly catchy tunes but the whole "we love satan more than you, praise chaos, Oh! but please buy our products!" shit gets beat. Perhaps having loogies and blood on me didn't help the situation. The smell I could deal with. If I was a bit closer I would re-payed the favor, maybe I'll have a chance if they make it on the cruise. haha. Granted some passengers might get tired of their shit and throw em off. I doubt Royal Caribbean wants their ship smelling like low tide let alone other passengers. A friend told me Sonar (the club they played) smelled like that for a week, haha. They weren't happy. Tis black metal! Least you'll remember the show! haha. Oh, just thought of another band that is really good (guess all the satan / rotten meat talk jogged my black metal memory, ;) )

    Weapon - Serpentine Ayat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4QhtWDd6jE

    Canadian black metal written by a Bengali. This is their album before the newest and it is pretty good. Put it at the bottom of the cue though haha.
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

    Laura wrote:Ftr, I used to do face paint now and then for Halloween years ago, but never anything resembling corpse paint then or now - so sorry to disappoint :P :beerhorns:


    Haha, not me. I still go all out during Halloween. Only time I can get away with it and still be considered a working professional! Hell, I threw corpse paint on for a Morrissey show a couple Halloweens ago. I was in good company. There was another guy in a banana suit in the "Moz pit"!
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 pm

    soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:Ftr, I used to do face paint now and then for Halloween years ago, but never anything resembling corpse paint then or now - so sorry to disappoint :P :beerhorns:


    Haha, not me. I still go all out during Halloween. Only time I can get away with it and still be considered a working professional! Hell, I threw corpse paint on for a Morrissey show a couple Halloweens ago. I was in good company. There was another guy in a banana suit in the "Moz pit"!


    :lol: and :cool:
    I don't know how old you are, but I'm going to assume I was still doing face-paint and dying my hair crazy colors a lot when I was your age. ;) These days, I think I push the boundaries of propriety for a middle-aged librarian enough as it is, considering some of my interests and gallivanting about. :lol: :lol: :lol: :trashdrink:

    Seriously though, I would consider doing a whole black metal get-up for Halloween if the right party or gig came about.

    Morrissey? :cool: Never saw him or The Smths! :cry:
    I am the son and the heir...
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 pm

    Laura wrote:Morrissey? :cool: Never saw him or The Smths! :cry:
    I am the son and the heir...


    Well older now (30) but still enjoy dressing up for Halloween. I love it. I dressed up even last Halloween just for a party.

    Yea, Morrissey is good stuff live and he plays smiths tunes if ya missed out. He should be due for another album / tour soon. He is a great lyricist and there are so many awesome songs. Granted the dude is ocd with Oscar Wilde and Yeats, his lyrics are still very unique and "heavy" imo. I don't listen to em nearly as much but still have a ton of respect for the guy. Only thing is live, he plays a lot of B-sides. Last time I saw em it made up half the set. So, not going off topic. Black metal!

    So if KevinP were to throw his towel in to the Black Metal circle (though I recall him not being too big into the genre) I think the death metal band Immolation has some BM elements. They are a really cool Death Metal band that I feel shares some of the guitar work of black metal. Very dissonant and obscure. "Majesty and Decay" I think can sit along side the likes of a Behemoth. Might not be "pure" but meh. It's the last DM album I find myself going back to. Well produced, dark, obscure , and crushing. It definitely embodies chaos to me more so than anything those chaos lovers in watain put out, haha. Bah, I can't stay on topic.

    Image
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:27 am

    ^^^^^^ ok, now I'm inspired.....I'll try to make this black metal costume thing happen this Halloween. It can only happen on four conditions though - 1. need to find the right party, event, bar or club, 2. need to supplement my wardrobe with a few things (already have some components that are appropriate/will work), 3. need to dye my hair black (always kinda wanted to do that anyway - at least temporarily, and 4. most importantly, need to find someone who is really good at face paint who can copy Frost's 1349 face-paint exactly (see below - ha - I think this is now the fourth time I've posted this cover :P :cool: )
    Image

    I have heard of Immolation but never listened to them (*adds to list*). I was actually going to listen to some of yours, mooyagi's, and shaneos' links this morning but I got totally hung up on this Behemoth death vs. black metal label....so I ended up listening to a bunch of Behemoth and re-visiting some of the videos. As I mentioned in an early post on this thread, one of the first songs I heard by them was Conquer All. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpnMnG3k ... ure=relmfu How is this not considered part of the black metal camp (at least partly)? To me, it has so much of the same vibe and aesthetic as some of the other bands described here....especially in the look, and when Nergal does blasphemous stuff like tear pages of bibles, etc. Speaking of death metal - love AT THE GATES (Slaughter of the Soul!) - one of my favorite gigs ever in 2008 I think it was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0U77bm9mc
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 647
    Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am
    Location: Nashville, TN

    Re: Black Metal

    by shaneos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

    Here's another awesome song for you Laura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb8wyG9tCMc :shred:

    Also I'm posting a link for the band Akercocke. It's hard to categorize them as black metal per se even though they have some elements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzdFTth68pM

    The next two aren't black metal at all, just awesome songs from a couple of my favorite bands. In fact I may even start a separate melo death thread.

    Insomnium: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K003TNG40P8

    Be'lakor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y87bVC8tG2Q
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 am

    shaneos wrote:Here's another awesome song for you Laura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb8wyG9tCMc :shred:


    What album would you recommend from them? I never really gave them a good listen. The vocals w/ the distortion on em is a little much but I am sure you get use to it. That song kinda reminds me of a gorgoroth track:

    Of Ice and Movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vw5Wydfi4
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:53 am

    Laura wrote: I think this is now the fourth time I've posted this cover :P :cool: )
    Image


    haha, you love the Frost. Hey he is a great hard hitting drummer. The hit of the snare is distinct hence me putting my vote on #10 with 1349 on this trivia @ invisible oranges. His rolls and dynamic are pretty signature with his playing.

    http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/06 ... l-edition/
  • User avatar
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by Rab » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 pm

    I may front one of the most well known joke black metal bands but i fucking love black metal only if there is a production behind it it can be one of the most fucking brutal,sinister, techincal sounding anthams to evil but i have to be able to hear what the hell is going on

    ID rather listen to a grand decloration of war then i would death crush

    or

    Id rather promethus over wrath of the tyrant


    Dark Funeral
    Marduk
    Shinning
    Illnath
    Older Dimmu
    Immortal
    1349
    Watain
    Eclipe Eternal
    Wolven Ancestory
    Panzerfaust
    Primordial
    Enslaved

    all fucking fantastic bands but shit like burzum and old mayhem can fucking blow my balls i know thats what black metal came from and is the essense of Tr00 black metal but it just sounds like a wall of piss poor noise
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:28 pm

    soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote: I think this is now the fourth time I've posted this cover :P :cool: )
    Image


    haha, you love the Frost. Hey he is a great hard hitting drummer. The hit of the snare is distinct hence me putting my vote on #10 with 1349 on this trivia @ invisible oranges. His rolls and dynamic are pretty signature with his playing.

    http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/06 ... l-edition/


    Ugh - I went to that site and #10 and I ran into an Adobe roadblock on my phone :evil: - will check out later.
    Yep - To quote you - I "love the Frost" for many reasons. First of course is his drumming - I put him up there with Neil Peart (Rush) & Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) on the top 3 drummer thread last year sometime. Gotta go for now though - so, to be continued. ;) :beerhorns:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 647
    Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am
    Location: Nashville, TN

    Re: Black Metal

    by shaneos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 pm

    [quote="soundcurve"][quote="shaneos"]Here's another awesome song for you Laura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb8wyG9tCMc :shred: [/quote]

    What album would you recommend from them? I never really gave them a good listen. The vocals w/ the distortion on em is a little much but I am sure you get use to it. That song kinda reminds me of a gorgoroth track:

    Of Ice and Movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vw5Wydfi4[/quote]

    The first album I heard was Hell is Empty, All the Devils are Here which I really like. I've just gotten the latest, Passion, and even after a couple of listens I can tell this one will catch me as well.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:07 pm

    shaneos wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:
    shaneos wrote:Here's another awesome song for you Laura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb8wyG9tCMc :shred:


    What album would you recommend from them? I never really gave them a good listen. The vocals w/ the distortion on em is a little much but I am sure you get use to it. That song kinda reminds me of a gorgoroth track:

    Of Ice and Movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vw5Wydfi4


    The first album I heard was Hell is Empty, All the Devils are Here which I really like. I've just gotten the latest, Passion, and even after a couple of listens I can tell this one will catch me as well.


    The Codex Necro and In the Constellation of the Black Widow are my favorites. For a n00b I'd suggest the latter.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:31 am

    shaneos wrote:Here's another awesome song for you Laura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb8wyG9tCMc :shred:


    Thanks for this - I like it! I've only listened to a small portion of the many links :cheers: you guys have posted on this thread so far....but of those I have, Anaal Nathrakh is standing out to me (and that's only after a hand full of songs) - there's a different sound/overall feel with them that has really grabbed me (really like the vocal style/sound)....similar to the first time I heard bands like Amon Amarth, Tyr, Immortal (and so many other favorites of mine) that did that for me immediately. Interesting they are British too since it seems that about 80% of the music I've really been drawn to in recent years is from Scandinavia. So, I was inspired to read up on them a bit - they've been around since 1999, 2 main members: Mick Kenney and Dave Hunt, 8 studio albums, genre classification: black metal, death metal, grindcore, name means: "serpent's breath" (so THAT'S what those weird words mean :lol: ), and so on. Even though they're not entirely in the same camp - gives me a similar feeling to Napalm Death - another band I like a lot. I guess that could get us into a whole grindcore discussion. :cool: Speaking of different genres...I ended up spending a lot of time late last night watching old live videos of bands like Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys - influential bands for me back in their hey-day.

    soundcurve - I think I'm going to listen to your Burzum links next (haven't touched those yet) - I agree with Mooyagi's feelings about Varg (in summary: what a complete dick!), but as important as the music is to the beginnings of black metal - I am curious how it sounds compared to some of the other bm bands.

    a few random video clips of songs/videos I like a lot related to what I wrote above...
    Napalm Death: When all is Said and Done
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRUzqHTNh8

    Black Flag: Rise Above & American Waste (this video cracks me up watching it now - I thought these guys were the ultimate RAD in the 80's :P )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZKEuRrR3E

    ha - and not black metal - but another great British band - Godflesh (I'm almost looking forward to seeing them more than anyone at HITS)
    Christbait Rising http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL5q2qFmJEY

    and I don't think I've ever linked this Satyricon song/video - LOVE THIS!!!!!! (Satyr & Frost: :twisted: :cool: )
    The Pentagram Burns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQG7Eqwtow
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 am

    Laura wrote:soundcurve - I think I'm going to listen to your Burzum links next (haven't touched those yet) - I agree with Mooyagi's feelings about Varg (in summary: what a complete dick!), but as important as the music is to the beginnings of black metal - I am curious how it sounds compared to some of the other bm bands.


    Understood. But the best approach is avoid interviews, etc. and try to focus on the music. I can't defend Varg's views no more than the likes of Jon Nödtveidt desire to kill a random homosexual dude, Gary Glitter being a pedo, etc. Some musicians are not pretty people and most of Burzum lyrics on their own aren't that out there. It is when you see interviews with the guy that the "NS" leanings appear. My stance is still this is metal and should be rebellious and if it isn't politically correct, so be it. People write horrendous lyrics about some horrible atrocities in life but when someone acts or believes it, why is it shocking. Some musicians take their music beyond the tunes and believe what they write. (Reinkaos being Jon Nödtveidt suicide note it would seem and his praise and conviction to the MLO)

    I guess it comes down to what is black metal to you? Is it Guitar = Y, drums = X, production/satan = Z or is it a emotion. Some people state they listen to music to become more cultured, I don't (If I want to learn more about Germany I don't put on rammstein, haha). I listen to and write music for the emotional catharsis and black metal being a release of despair, darkness, and extreme anger. It is something I feel should make you uneasy and something than to embrace. This doesn't mean I am unstable :D (though these tunes help keep me sane, haha) but I throw on tunes that I feel would be labeled black metal to get that release and feeling.

    In the end, the listener is in ultimate control and hopefully no one forces you to listen to what you don't like (Burzum, haha). I feel taste in music is subjective so music that might give me all the above are surely complete crap to someone else. I don't consider this a bad thing as a world full of everyone with the same taste would be boring.
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 am

    soundcurve wrote:I listen to and write music for the emotional catharsis and black metal being a release of despair, darkness, and extreme anger. It is something I feel should make you uneasy and something than to embrace. This doesn't mean I am unstable :D (though these tunes help keep me sane, haha) but I throw on tunes that I feel would be labeled black metal to get that release and feeling.


    BINGO!
    This is very similar to how I feel about it...and the gist of that "wall of text" I'm working on that I made an off-hand remark about in Mooyagi/power/weenie or whatever it's called thread. :lol: I like to write (mostly just for myself and not for public consumption like here) because it helps me understand my thoughts on all kinds of things....so I'll keep writing. :beerwink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

    soundcurve wrote:I guess I shoulda linked a couple Burzum tracks worth a listen to see if it is worth d/l / investing time in a album since I don't think mooygai will be touching them :beerwink: but I still feel they are relevant (Hell, I think some of the best black metal comes from the most deranged). Just remember the approach is atmosphere and not straight forward brutality / guitar. Defiantly a more layered approach. Good listening too when you got a cold like me and are jacked on Dextromethorphan! haha
    Older:
    Burzum - Jesus Tod
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXu8M6q6v84
    Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBll5LyMnAw
    Newer:
    Fave off Fallen - Valen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaDK2gxqVg
    Faves off Belus - Glemselens Elv and Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=830xNRZg3Fo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ybiHBotes

    As for purchasing a complete album, Filosofem or Belus are good starting bets. Also, this wouldn't be a band you'd pregame listen to for a show cause they don't play live.
    Uhg, back to work. :cry:


    soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:soundcurve - I think I'm going to listen to your Burzum links next (haven't touched those yet) - I agree with Mooyagi's feelings about Varg (in summary: what a complete dick!), but as important as the music is to the beginnings of black metal - I am curious how it sounds compared to some of the other bm bands.


    Understood. But the best approach is avoid interviews, etc. and try to focus on the music. I can't defend Varg's views no more than the likes of Jon Nödtveidt desire to kill a random homosexual dude, Gary Glitter being a pedo, etc. Some musicians are not pretty people and most of Burzum lyrics on their own aren't that out there. It is when you see interviews with the guy that the "NS" leanings appear. My stance is still this is metal and should be rebellious and if it isn't politically correct, so be it. People write horrendous lyrics about some horrible atrocities in life but when someone acts or believes it, why is it shocking. Some musicians take their music beyond the tunes and believe what they write. (Reinkaos being Jon Nödtveidt suicide note it would seem and his praise and conviction to the MLO).....


    Well I’ll be damned….the Burzum songs you linked are really great…especially….
    Det Som En Gang Var http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBll5LyMnAw
    Glemselens Elv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=830xNRZg3Fo
    (I tend to like long songs like these if they're done well)

    As I said earlier – I never listened to any Burzum (until today) – always a low priority largely due to reading about Varg – it seems that so much of what I've ever read about black metal here and there (and often in a very sensationalistic way :roll: ) includes Varg…Varg this, Varg that, Varg, Varg, Varg! :evil: I guess it makes sense since he is so key in the history of the genre, but unfortunately it seems his antics have kinda tarred the whole genre (at least for people who barely know squat about it). I’m tired of the reaction I’ve gotten from time to time when I’ve said I like black metal…"oh, yeah – those guys who burn churches and kill people."

    So I’ve avoided Burzum until today. I sometimes avoid something due to a negative association (in this case Varg) even if the said thing (in this case the pure music) might otherwise be something I might enjoy. The question is...where does one draw the line? Richard Wagner was a known anti-Semite and was Hitler’s favorite composer, but it seems that the vast majority of the opera world has been able to overlook that (not so small) detail…..including some of the most prominent Jewish musicians and conductors. Is the difference that Wagner is long dead and Varg is still alive? Hmmm – I don’t know.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:11 pm

    Laura wrote:So I’ve avoided Burzum until today. I sometimes avoid something due to a negative association (in this case Varg) even if the said thing (in this case the pure music) might otherwise be something I might enjoy. The question is...where does one draw the line? Richard Wagner was a known anti-Semite and was Hitler’s favorite composer, but it seems that the vast majority of the opera world has been able to overlook that (not so small) detail…..including some of the most prominent Jewish musicians and conductors. Is the difference that Wagner is long dead and Varg is still alive? Hmmm – I don’t know.


    Yea, that line as to where someone doesn't listen to X artist for a moral/political/etc. association is up to the person. And again, I would not defend/condemn Varg's beliefs in a public forum like this nor want to dive into them further to keep the forum a fun place :trashdrink:. For me I find the macabre and extreme in human nature fascinating. It is this darkness and despairing essence that I feel black metal attempts to capture through music. Unfortunately, Varg has foiled some of his musical output by being a uncompromising personality and someone who sought the attention of much what started in the whole "2nd wave" of black metal. There are books about this which to me are overkill.

    Who the ultimate authority on what you should listen to should always be yourself. So many blogs, music site, etc. out there write these extensive reviews for albums that I find they don't even give the time of day to. They are filled with useless analogies and takes on current events but completely bypass the substance of what they are review. Music! There are many reviews out there that low ball musical output solely based on the person (see: reinkaos) but I try to look past that and go for what the music makes me feel before going all out and looking up a artist every tweet, facebook, myspace, wiki, interview, etc.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwR6b-JlStg&NR=1 :headbanger:
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:57 am

    soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:So I’ve avoided Burzum until today. I sometimes avoid something due to a negative association (in this case Varg) even if the said thing (in this case the pure music) might otherwise be something I might enjoy. The question is...where does one draw the line? Richard Wagner was a known anti-Semite and was Hitler’s favorite composer, but it seems that the vast majority of the opera world has been able to overlook that (not so small) detail…..including some of the most prominent Jewish musicians and conductors. Is the difference that Wagner is long dead and Varg is still alive? Hmmm – I don’t know.


    Yea, that line as to where someone doesn't listen to X artist for a moral/political/etc. association is up to the person. And again, I would not defend/condemn Varg's beliefs in a public forum like this nor want to dive into them further to keep the forum a fun place :trashdrink:. For me I find the macabre and extreme in human nature fascinating. It is this darkness and despairing essence that I feel black metal attempts to capture through music. Unfortunately, Varg has foiled some of his musical output by being a uncompromising personality and someone who sought the attention of much what started in the whole "2nd wave" of black metal. There are books about this which to me are overkill.

    Who the ultimate authority on what you should listen to should always be yourself. So many blogs, music site, etc. out there write these extensive reviews for albums that I find they don't even give the time of day to. They are filled with useless analogies and takes on current events but completely bypass the substance of what they are review. Music! There are many reviews out there that low ball musical output solely based on the person (see: reinkaos) but I try to look past that and go for what the music makes me feel before going all out and looking up a artist every tweet, facebook, myspace, wiki, interview, etc.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwR6b-JlStg&NR=1 :headbanger:


    Another great link :cheers: ....yay! I have learned a lot from this thread since I started it just a week ago! :D

    So...I agree - enough said about Varg as a person - although I do have one last comment/side-story. Two summers ago (after Wacken), I was in the museum in Stockholm that contains a major Viking artifact collection. An American woman walked up to me and said "I really love your necklace...where did you get it?" Well, we got to talking about why we both happened to be in Stockholm and when my friend and I told her we had just been at Wacken - here eyes lit up and she said "Oh, you must know of my boyfriend (or husband? forget which), Michael Moynihan!!...he wrote Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mo ... journalist) Small world, eh? Well, I told her I had read it and we talked for quite awhile. Her name is Annabel Lee and she talked about their musical projects together including Blood Axis http://www.myspace.com/bloodaxisofficial . They were in Sweden because he was doing some research at the library and archives in Uppsala. Then I told her I was a librarian and had spent a lot of time in libraries/archives doing my own research - so, again small world! Oh man - I haven't looked at anything about Blood Axis in a long time - here I just posted a portrait of Albrecht Durer in the "for the ladies" thread and Moynihan has an image of himself as Durer!!! Weird!!! (although these kinds of convergences (if you will) seem to happen to me A LOT! :shock: :D )

    Michael Moynihan, co-author of Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
    Image

    Albrecht Durer, Self Portrait (1500)
    Image
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    kjaxin
    Crewman
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 pm

    Re: Black Metal

    by kjaxin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:55 am

    Watain and Inquisition would be like having four star admirals on board!!!! Inquisition was the best show at MDF hands down, horns fucking up.
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 300
    Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm

    Re: Black Metal

    by Max_Rockwell » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:08 am

    I can only hope we get more black metal this year. Good BM, that is.

    I find it amusing for people to walk around in corpse paint as well.
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:25 am

    Max_Rockwell wrote:I can only hope we get more black metal this year. Good BM, that is.

    I find it amusing for people to walk around in corpse paint as well.


    I agree but I get to see so many of these bands locally on tour (and will this summer overseas) that it's not going to be a huge disappointment for me if there aren't many on the boat. Were you at both Marduk gigs this year on the cruise? Those 2 were highlights for me - especially Imago Mortis performed on the pool deck :beerhorns:

    Re corpsepaint - I don't believe Mortuus wore it except for the gigs. :P Too bad - then I would have recognized him!

    :shock: Just google imaged Marduk and it seems their latest photo shoots/look incorporates a lot of blood - pretty extreme even for my taste I must admit....but pretty damn effective in expressing a strong sense of evil (which we all know exists in the world and which (in my opinion) exists/potentially exists in ALL of us simply because we're human). Along the lines of what soundcurve already said, listening to this kind of music is cathartic for me (in a strange way perhaps). Well, and of course it totally KICKS ASS too, but that goes without saying. ;) :beerhorns:
    Image
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    kjaxin
    Crewman
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 pm

    Re: Black Metal

    by kjaxin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:27 pm

    Marduk played MDF, I wasn't looking forward to their set but I stayed up for it hoping to be impressed. My Canadian friends were calling them Marmaduke, after seeing them I can see why. Halfway through the set I left.
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

    kjaxin wrote:Marduk played MDF, I wasn't looking forward to their set but I stayed up for it hoping to be impressed. My Canadian friends were calling them Marmaduke, after seeing them I can see why. Halfway through the set I left.


    Not a big fan of theirs but they were the only black metal band on the cruise so I saw one of their sets. I certainly hope we get more black metal this time 'round.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:47 pm

    kjaxin wrote:Marduk played MDF, I wasn't looking forward to their set but I stayed up for it hoping to be impressed. My Canadian friends were calling them Marmaduke, after seeing them I can see why. Halfway through the set I left.


    Well if you never heard them before and live was your first experience than it will be a tough show to take it. More than likely it sounded like a wall of noise. Haha, Marmaduke.A buddy makes fun of them due to the name but isn't a fan of black metal. I like Marduk, not my #1 but was glad at least they were on the boat and hit up both their sets. Like Laura, it was nice seeing them out on the pool deck and playing "Accuser/Opposer" with Alan Averil. I think Cosmo Lee from invisible oranges summed em up best.

    Marduk aren’t the conceptually deepest or most musically interesting band in black metal, but no band brings the storm like them. They don’t play to crowds so much as play at them. I like that."

    I could link some stuff but if you didn't dig em I'll leave it at that :D . Either way, they will continue on. ;)
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:51 pm

    mooyagi wrote:
    kjaxin wrote:Marduk played MDF, I wasn't looking forward to their set but I stayed up for it hoping to be impressed. My Canadian friends were calling them Marmaduke, after seeing them I can see why. Halfway through the set I left.


    Not a big fan of theirs but they were the only black metal band on the cruise so I saw one of their sets. I certainly hope we get more black metal this time 'round.


    I'm surprised you're not much of a Marduk fan, mooyagi. I've seen them three times and enjoyed all three very much. kjaxin - as we often say around here TEHO. :cheers:

    Marduk: Steel Inferno
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcLhKdO ... ata_player

    A taste of pure, unadulterated id.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:07 pm

    Laura wrote: Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground.


    Yea, All the people that were there / took part state the book as being junk. I personally never read it as I can only hear the story of Euronymous/Varg/Church burnings etc. so many times. There really is no new spin for me for anyone to put on it and it won't change the fact I still like Burzum or various other black metal bands :D

    I heard they were making a movie from the book and with the character of Varg (a.k.a count grisssssssshnackh) being played by that twilight kid. Weeeeeee! How more black metal can we get. hehe.

    "Hey sailors, who ordered the church burning?" :D
    Image
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:18 pm



    Bah! okay since you posted one.
    A newer one:
    Marduk - whorecrown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rBRC0IPwhM

    Love this song, makes me want to kick some ass. :twisted:

    My fave albums from em: ROM 5:12, Wormwood, World Funeral, Those of the Unlight and like select tracks from others.
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:23 pm

    ^^^ I said I read the book, not that I liked it. ;) (I didn't say that to the author's wife when I met her, though ;) ) Moynihan is an eccentric, unusual character I think - not unlike a Chicago friend of mine named Karl Seigfried - another musician/writer/academic type who among a million other things writes the blog norsemyth.org . I like some of what I've heard of Blood Axis btw.
    And I know about the movie - can't wait! :lol:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:47 pm

    Lot of focus on Scandinavian bands on here. USA! USA! USA!

    Woe - The Road from Recovery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PphS5qkTjwM
    Averse Sefira - Plagabraha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMnQCP34RlM
    Vesperian Sorrow - Twilight of Azrael http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6sruH_Y2A
    Sothis - Of Night and Silence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdmZulcXpsc
    Xasthur - Dreams Blacker than Death http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4DG53Lszsc
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:12 pm

    mooyagi wrote:Lot of focus on Scandinavian bands on here. USA! USA! USA!


    Haha, Well I love Nachtmystium and Agalloch. Absu are alright. Like the song Amy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotFkzqCpVo

    I tried getting into Xasthur and Leviathan with little luck. I'll have to scope the others mentioned.
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 pm

    soundcurve wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Lot of focus on Scandinavian bands on here. USA! USA! USA!


    Haha, Well I love Nachtmystium and Agalloch. Absu are alright. Like the song Amy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotFkzqCpVo

    I tried getting into Xasthur and Leviathan with little luck. I'll have to scope the others mentioned.


    Woe is my favorite of the lot. Tried putting a bit of a mix on there in terms of styles.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 pm

    mooyagi wrote:Woe is my favorite of the lot. Tried putting a bit of a mix on there in terms of styles.


    Yea they sounded the most interesting to me. Which you think is a better album to give a couple spins "Quietly, Undramatically" or "A Spell for the Death of Man". metal-archive has the latter @ 99% but I know how some folk can latch onto the first album as always being the best.
  • User avatar
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 596
    Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

    Re: Black Metal

    by soundcurve » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:55 pm

    Not black metal but Black Hell!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7xzAHUw-jQ (danzig new track)

    Not directly black metal but one of my favorite artists mwhahaha. :death: and Morgan is a fellow worshiper so praise be to that! haha :headbanger:

    Then "For All Tid" up next which Blake Judd apparently calls one of his fave BM albums. Not too familiar with it myself though so time to give it several spins as I got the CD recently.

    Image
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:36 pm

    soundcurve wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Woe is my favorite of the lot. Tried putting a bit of a mix on there in terms of styles.


    Yea they sounded the most interesting to me. Which you think is a better album to give a couple spins "Quietly, Undramatically" or "A Spell for the Death of Man". metal-archive has the latter @ 99% but I know how some folk can latch onto the first album as always being the best.


    I wouldn't trust reviews on metal archives. There's not enough samples to get a true interpretation of the album just based on scores. One person scoring too high or too low could drastically change the average, though it is good to read all of the reviews. As for Woe, I'd say go for Quietly, Undramatically. The songwriting is better as is the production on it (granted, it is black metal so you may not care :lol: ). Can't go wrong with either album though. If you like the newer album you will most likely enjoy the older one though I'm not sure the reciprocal is true.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    kjaxin
    Crewman
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 pm

    Re: Black Metal

    by kjaxin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:30 am

    I am only relaying my experience with Marduk. They were supposed to be a big deal, first show in the states aside from the cruise after canceling last year. I admit not owning any of their stuff but why own it when youtube proves there are better black metal bands. I listened to quite a bit in preparation for MDF, thus my lack of high expectations for them. I had hoped with all the hype they would translate better on stage. Inquisition blew them away, even my Canadian Voivod buddies were overly impressed. In other words, if it sounds like shit and looks like shit, well???? Its Marduk.... :lol:
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
  • User avatar
    Laura
    Commander
    Posts: 5880
    Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am
    Location: cloud 9 chicago
    Contact:

    Re: Black Metal

    by Laura » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 am

    Never youtubed Marduk 70000 tons of metal until now - fun! Great memories! Love this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWL-ahI ... ata_player

    Mooyagi - you said you only saw 1 Marduk gig on the cruise - I'm assuming it was this one since the pool deck gig conflicted with Tyr (and believe it or not I decided not to see my beloved Tyr :P on that time slot so I could see Marduk twice (due to seeing Tyr already several times before the cruise.) Anyone remember what time both Marduk gigs were? My recollection is they were both pretty late. And I certainly remember having done a lot of this :heavydrink: :party: :trashdrink: and feeling no pain :beerwink: by the time both gigs rolled around - adding to the enjoyment and experience no doubt! I already brought up them doing Imago Mortis on the pool deck - that song in that setting at night on the open seas was quite surreal I think - very purple haze-ish. :D
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • User avatar
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1851
    Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:17 am
    Location: Lambertville, MI / Toledo, OH

    Re: Black Metal

    by Bentz! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:01 am

    Laura wrote:Anyone remember what time both Marduk gigs were? My recollection is they were both pretty late. And I certainly remember having done a lot of this :heavydrink: :party: :trashdrink: and feeling no pain :beerwink: by the time both gigs rolled around


    From my tattered copy of the running order, Marduk played on Monday at 10:00pm in the Spectrum and on Wednesday at 2:15am on the Pool Deck.

    I caught the full Spectrum set and the first half of the Pool Deck set.

    They also put on a hell of a show on their small run of dates they did after MDF. They're definitely not the most exciting band to watch onstage, but they bring the intensity in spades.
    Image(pic taken at the Detroit show on June 1)
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 am

    Laura wrote:Never youtubed Marduk 70000 tons of metal until now - fun! Great memories! Love this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWL-ahI ... ata_player

    Mooyagi - you said you only saw 1 Marduk gig on the cruise - I'm assuming it was this one since the pool deck gig conflicted with Tyr (and believe it or not I decided not to see my beloved Tyr :P on that time slot so I could see Marduk twice (due to seeing Tyr already several times before the cruise.)


    Yup that's the show I went to. I'm actually kinda bummed though. From all accounts the second Tyr show was one of the best performances on the ship and I could've seen either of the Marduk gigs and gotten the same experience from them so looks like I should've switched my schedule around. Plus it was extremely hot for pool deck Tyr show and I had to spend half the time slipping around the wet deck due to all the drooling you and Marlo were doing for that show. :mrgreen: ;)

    Anyone remember what the first Marduk gig conflicted with? Must've been a reason why I skipped it, besides not being much of a Marduk fan :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1851
    Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:17 am
    Location: Lambertville, MI / Toledo, OH

    Re: Black Metal

    by Bentz! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 am

    mooyagi wrote:Anyone remember what the first Marduk gig conflicted with? Must've been a reason why I skipped it, besides not being much of a Marduk fan :lol:

    While Marduk was playing the spectrum, Sonata Arctica was playing the Pool Deck.
    Any other schedule questions while I have my sheets out?
    Image
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21241
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Black Metal

    by mooyagi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 am

    Bentz! wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Anyone remember what the first Marduk gig conflicted with? Must've been a reason why I skipped it, besides not being much of a Marduk fan :lol:

    While Marduk was playing the spectrum, Sonata Arctica was playing the Pool Deck.
    Any other schedule questions while I have my sheets out?


    That would be the reason :beerwink: If I only would've known that Sonata's pool show would've been a disappointment. I think I'm okay with questions for now :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
Post Reply 653 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests