Post Reply 196 posts
Folk Metal
    Laura
    Commander

Folk Metal

by Laura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 am

Since the topic of folk metal has come up on the Bridge forum recently and there has never been a folk metal thread :shock: ...here is one! Overall, folk and black metal are the two genres that I like the most, i.e. that my brain finds the most interesting and appealing. At this point, the bands I really like and know well are for the most part fairly well-known and established. Would like to learn about other bands as well and know I can count on many of you forumites. ;)

I'm also hoping that this thread will show the great diversity in the genre (as I think the Black Metal thread shows too - e.g. Agalloch to Mayhem).

Bill - I really enjoyed this link you posted on the Bridge forum - knew nothing about this band before. :cheers:

DrinkMoxie wrote:Folk metal that has bite, is complex, and is unique...
    Shangren, Chinese folk/war metal... it's really guitar driven and awesome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmjw-PtQj8
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Metalwrath

Re: Folk Metal

by Metalwrath » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 am

well a lot of folk metal these days especially from countries like Germany has some elements of black metal in it.
    Laura i really think pagan metal would be a genre you'll really love.
    It's more towards black metal.Has some fun drinking songs like folk metal and much deeper meaning in the lyrics espcially for European bands.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:05 am

Folk metal kicks ass! :shred: :party:

Though many of the Scandinavian bands are a dime a dozen, there are some true standouts and though I don't know too many bands, I love hearing stuff from more "exotic" locations. The regional/cultural aspect adds a whole other element to the music.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 am

mooyagi wrote:Folk metal kicks ass! :shred: :party:

Though many of the Scandinavian bands are a dime a dozen, there are some true standouts and though I don't know too many bands, I love hearing stuff from more "exotic" locations. The regional/cultural aspect adds a whole other element to the music.

It's called being European :P
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 am

I like that Shangren song that Moxie posted.

Anyone know of any American folk bands. Not ones that play a European style, but something that includes elements of Native American music. Heard a couple of things from Mexico but they were underwhelming.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgn-x-q ... re=related
    Check them out.
    Mostly pagan metal some folk elements to them.
    German band.The singer who does the 'clean vocals' on their albums is the singer from Rebellion
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:31 am

Here's a couple of bands:

Arkan from France. Band members are of Algerian descent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIqwvni5Ik
    Arraigo from Argentina. Not really very metal but cool still. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsH1QVXFts
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 am

yeah, Shangren rocks! I got the demo when it was released, and I love it! I can't wait for the full cd!
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 am

I also can't recommend Jaldaboath highly enough. They are abit more simple, but incredibly fun/silly... from England, their primary influences are Monty Python and Black Adder

their video for "Hark The Herald" will amuse you! (unless you're a douche or something)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3OgQVfhfM
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:their video for "Hark The Herald" will amuse you! (unless you're a douche or something)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3OgQVfhfM

Man, Kevin would probably hate it :lol:
    Folk metal is cool though. I think Scythia has been mentioned before but they are worth mentioning. Small band from Vancouver with what I think is a unique sound. It's very anthemy and they have a full time Obo player.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQbFjvTm ... re=related
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

Metalwrath wrote:well a lot of folk metal these days especially from countries like Germany has some elements of black metal in it.
    Laura i really think pagan metal would be a genre you'll really love.
    It's more towards black metal.Has some fun drinking songs like folk metal and much deeper meaning in the lyrics espcially for European bands.

Point well taken regarding pagan metal - I was originally going to title the thread folk/pagan/viking - but then I got all bollixed up thinking about all that and thought it might be too confusing! :lol: I do know and like Varg a lot from Germany (a WOA highlight for me in 2010) and I believe they are firmly in the pagan category are they not?...but, like anything there is a lot of overlap it seems. (and before anyone mentions it - I am aware of the flap about them when they were booked for Wacken re: their alleged neo-nazi ties.)

So - step right up and mention yer pagan metal bands here too! :mrgreen:

Varg: Viel Feind Viel Ehr from Blutaar (sounds folky pagan to me - plus they wear similar facepaint to Turisas :P :cool: )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbhDGHgzPfw

Last edited by Laura on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am

Laura wrote:I was originally going to title the thread folk/pagan/viking - but then I got all bollixed up thinking about all that and thought it might be too confusing!

Should've named it the Finntrolling thread ;)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah, folk metal is kindof an all encompassing term. There are so many different sounds that you could count under folk metal. Basically every culture could have their own special brand of "folk metal" which is one thing I find very cool about it.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Laura wrote:I was originally going to title the thread folk/pagan/viking - but then I got all bollixed up thinking about all that and thought it might be too confusing!

Should've named it the Finntrolling thread ;)

I like it! :beerbang:
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Posting in my new favorite thread.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Posting in my new favorite thread.

Thanks for contributing :lol:
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Posting in my new favorite thread.

My new favorite thread too.

Will have useful content to post later.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:03 pm

No disrespect to any of you, but I just can not listen to folk metal.
    I tried to watch Enisferum last cruise but could barely make it through 3 songs.
    Just not my kind of metal.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 pm

STACH100 wrote:No disrespect to any of you, but I just can not listen to folk metal.
    I tried to watch Enisferum last cruise but could barely make it through 3 songs.
    Just not my kind of metal.

Different strokes for different folks. But the cruise does need more folk metal. In Extremo doesn't satisfy my needs
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:39 pm

mooyagi wrote: But the cruise does need more folk metal.

Eluveitie is folk metal, Moonsorrow is pretty folky....you already got 3 bands. there are still ZERO prog metal bands. lame.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:51 pm

I liked it better when all there was, was just plain heavy metal.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:56 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    mooyagi wrote: But the cruise does need more folk metal.

Eluveitie is folk metal, Moonsorrow is pretty folky....you already got 3 bands. there are still ZERO prog metal bands. lame.

:lol: I forgot about those two. Still not enough :twisted:

Can we agree on Orphaned Land? Folky and proggy at times
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:07 pm

i mentioned in another thread that i do like Orphaned Land and Arkona! so that's a...

YES

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm

christ. i couldn't find that smaller. fuck it.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:14 pm

LOL!!
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Okay, I'll contribute something, as per Ravenlord's request :lol:

I think the reason why I like folk metal so much is because it differs from the traditional "vocalist / two guitarists / bassist / drummer" that is the prototypical metal band. I get where Stach is coming from, but I'm just not really into -- nor have ever really been into -- just straight-forward "in-your-face" metal. I respect people that are, but I like hearing the layers upon layers of music. Simplicity is fine, I totally get it, but I'll never appreciate it as much as I do an entire band in sync with one another and writing music that is so beautiful orchestrated. That's what does it for me.

'Folk metal' is, of course, super difficult to define. I have a lot of favorite folk metal bands -- from "blackened folk" to the "happy" stuff that Kevin hates. I'm not a huge fan of grim vocals EXCEPT in folk metal (and Insomnium; love those guys). Like I've said many, many times -- Amorphis' 'Tales From The Thousand Lakes' is probably my all-time favorite album and vocals don't get much more grim than that. Orphaned Land's 'Mabool' is another top 5 album for me and we get a nice mix of clean vox and grim vox in that one.

When I think "folk metal" though, I immediately think of Mago de Oz and the paragon folk metal song that is 'Fiesta Pagana': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQM-H9mvgEc
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Ecliptica you described it perfectly.
    You are 100% correct in your analysis. The reasons you like folk metal are the very reasons I do not.
    I guess that is why some one came up with the genre.
    You won't be seeing any folk metal bands in my paintings.
    The bands I choose pretty much mirror my metal genre tastes.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Great posts and conversation so far all! Weird there was never a folk metal thread before considering so many people like it.

I'm listening to one of my favorite songs by Moonsorrow atm - Kylan Paassa (and yes, I know I'm missing all the double dots over the vowels)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPOT3llq ... ata_player

I guess they are considered mostly a "pagan metal" band - still thinking of changing the thread title to Folk/Pagan Metal - whatcha think?

Go Pagans! (ha - that should be the name of a sports team :P )
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 pm

It has been awhile since I watched this (probably have watched it a hundred times) - so fantastic...
    Orphaned Land: Sapari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUi1yf97 ... ata_player
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:22 pm

I used to really like the jumpy, beer-guzzling, shouting and chanting "happy" stuff but I've really been into more blackened folk metal lately. Folk metal is such a wide genre to define and it incorporates so many different instruments: accordion, flute, fiddle, keyboard, whatever. It's the variety and the different interpretations that I really like. (Although I actually really can't stand Eluveitie and bands that sound just like Eluveite. It sounds like fairy music. Or like a ren-fair gone wrong. But that's just me. TEHO. ;) )

Some of my top black/folk/viking metal songs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4cwdOJe4lI Equilibrium - "Wenn Erdreich Bricht" from Rekreatur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DtHl6F0yCE Windir - "Arntor, Ein Windir" from Arntor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb0XdgTq7jU Brymir - "Intro + Unconquerable" from Breath Fire to the Sun
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:Folk metal that has bite, is complex, and is unique...
    Shangren, Chinese folk/war metal... it's really guitar driven and awesome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmjw-PtQj8

Wow, those guys rule, such a unique sound! It's like listening to metal while there is a kung-fu movie ( or Big Trouble in Little China ) going on in the background. Amazing sound, who would have thought they were from Australia!! Unbelievable!! Mind blowingly unique!

I like lots of folk metal, Skyclad are the kings, they started it all yet too many folks who like folk metal don't listen to them cause they aren't in the cliche black/pagan/folk style. That stuff is so cliche anymore it bores me to tears. Sadly the labels push that stuff so much, unless you do your research you will miss out on some amazing folk metal bands.
    I think the reason it bores me is cause I used to listen to a lot of Mithotyn and Ancient Rites, which are two of the most unique sounding bands musically for that style.

Jaldaboath rules, so clever it's amazing. Skilltron is also another great band. I respect Orphaned Land a lot, Enisferum has a cool sound, but sadly I can't tell their albums apart musically. Turisas is also another very interesting band. Spellblast from italy is like Blind Guardian doing folk metal, so I recommend anyone who likes that style to check them out. Scythia is a great Celtic folk band, very versatile. Vicious Crusade from Belarus also has a lot of Folk elements mixed with Gothic at times. Wolfchant were great before they got the rebellion singer and now are amazing. In Extremo is cleverly unique at times. Minotaurus is German, Celtic folk metal with medieval vibe. Cruachan is one of the first folk metal bands and deserve some love. Excelsis is like a folk metal Grave Digger at times. Tuatha de Danann will make you jig for sure. Angeli di Pietra is like the folk metal Nightwish.

Don't forget that folkies also have Primordial to look forward too. I agree with WizBeast, prog fans are pretty screwed this year, they need a representative or two.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:48 pm

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the folk metal bands announced for the cruise so far. Never really got into In Extremo and probably won't see them on the cruise. I've yet to really explore Primordial's entire collection of work, but I will definitely go see both sets. I really loved 'Slania' from Eluveitie, but I'm not sure how much I'm really into the newer stuff. Moonsorrow is awesome though :cool: :cool:

You mentioned Skiltron, who are one of my absolute favorites. We've yet to have a South American band on the cruise and it'd be awesome if, sometime in the future, we got an Argentinian representative.

As far as Ensiferum, I really think that one of the reasons why I like them is that they are so predictable yet it sounds soooooooo good. I don't think they've released one bad song. On a scale of 1-10, everything Ensiferum has done is an 8.5 -- nothing super spectacular that is overly mind-blowing (I guess you could maybe argue 'Victory Song' or 'Lai Lai Hei'), but everything is just very, very solid. They've been a top 5 band for me since 2001.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Doesn't it seem odd that the term "Folk" would ever be combined with metal?
    Folk brings up images like fiddles, log cabins, squeeze boxes, sing a longs, etc. things metal heads would never think could find a way in to metal.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:00 pm

STACH100 wrote:Doesn't it seem odd that the term "Folk" would ever be combined with metal?
    Folk brings up images like fiddles, log cabins, squeeze boxes, sing a longs, etc. things metal heads would never think could find a way in to metal.

That's the beauty of metal, it can combine with anything and still be metal. It can take crappy genres and make them cool. Folk music is blue collar music just like metal is.

cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Metal is the ultimate change of pace when it comes to music. Expect the unexpected when it comes to metal and embrace the power of it.

STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:08 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:
    STACH100 wrote:Doesn't it seem odd that the term "Folk" would ever be combined with metal?

That's the beauty of metal, it can combine with anything and still be metal. It can take crappy genres and make them cool. Folk music is blue collar music just like metal is.

I applaud your open mindedness, but you may draw the line at Ballerina metal.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Also I think crappy genres should be left crappy, don't let the crap invade greatness, let the greatness build.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:19 pm

STACH100 wrote:Also I think crappy genres should be left crappy, don't let the crap invade greatness, let the greatness build.

I would rather see a crappy genre get absorbed by metal and create something different than a lot of the crappy heavy metal copy cat bands floating around like little poo nuggets. You don't know if something will work or not till you try it.

I would have to say that some symphonic metal bands like Nightwish clones are already Ballerina metal.

STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:
    STACH100 wrote:Also I think crappy genres should be left crappy, don't let the crap invade greatness, let the greatness build.

I would rather see a crappy genre get absorbed by metal and create something different than a lot of the crappy heavy metal copy cat bands floating around like little poo nuggets. You don't know if something will work or not till you try it.

I would have to say that some symphonic metal bands like Nightwish clones are already Ballerina metal.

My point exactly!

On a side note why would anyone want to absorb crap into their music?
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:26 pm

STACH100 wrote:
    cycosurgeon wrote:

My point exactly!

I don't look at oddball metal genres as the enemy, I look at them as a gateway for people to get into metal. Sadly a lot of folks never seem to leave their gateway bands or comfort zone genres. Humans are so cowardly at times!! I really thing metal itself "taught" me my open mindedness, so many times I thought, "that can't possibly work" and metal proved me wrong.

I really only get annoyed at oddball genres when people start bandwagoning them or musicians who are not metalheads try to cash in on them.

Post Reply 196 posts