Post Reply 196 posts
Folk Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Folk Metal

by Stained Class » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:08 pm

viathyn wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:Wait! Why do these say Wednesday? Today's Saturday! Furthermore... didn't Joey throw these?! The hell...

You're probably foretelling actual events here man... that's like playing with fire. If joey sees this and decides to throw the monday crotch-cloth, then there could be some final destination shit.. or something.

:lol: just for fun im gonna bring a bra and panties in a bag and throw them on stage.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:11 pm

WOW you all sure love your folk metal!
    I don't understand it but I applaud your enthusiasm.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 pm

STACH100 wrote:WOW you all sure love your folk metal!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 am

Truth be told, I don't entirely understand it either. I guess that's why musical taste will never be objective. You can isolate all the variables, but you can never truly explain *why* you like something.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 am

Eternity wrote:

Truth be told, I don't entirely understand it either. I guess that's why musical taste will never be objective. You can isolate all the variables, but you can never truly explain *why* you like something.

The topic of why people like certain things and are repelled by others has always fascinated me....in particular, musical tastes. I've been reading this book:

and it's really fascinating - especially the chapter "My Favorite Things: Why Do We Like the Music We Like?"

It got me thinking about a lot of my early childhood and teenage influences and interests - a key time for taste development - no surprises there ;) - in my case the 1960s and 1970s for age 0 to 19, and 1980s for "young adult" 20s years which had a life-long influence/impact on my tastes as well (e.g. loved a lot of early "industrial" bands from the 80s which led to loving bands like Rammstein and my latest discovery - Raubtier!) What is really cool for me now is that I've gotten to the point that when I hear something for the first time that I'm REALLY crazy about - I can usually trace the reason back to something similar or related from my "early years" that I really liked; and/or some influence from family or friends.....even Dimmu Borgir! In that particular case, I *know* at least partly why I love them so much - my parents raised me on opera - it was always playing in the house and they took me to many by the time I was 18. And I loved going to see live opera in particular - it is so dramatic, so extreme, so "over-the top," so theatrical, so majestic....not to mention "extreme" vocals. ;) If I could have seen Dimmu perform live at that special Oslo gig with a symphony orchestra - I think that might have been my "ultimate" gig.

But I digress from the thread subject.....I like folk metal for another group of reasons. :P I was thinking about starting a thread along these lines (of early influences and such) on off-course.

And btw people - great links/info on this thread! They will keep me busy for quite awhile! :heavydrink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Eternity wrote:

yeah i'm with you on both points...
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Not knowing why I like it is part of the fun for me, I think.

Also, Laura, you're likely right. I grew up loving the sound of flutes, learned how to play, it's the only instrument I know competently. So I ind of smile whenever I hear one in metal. Thus: Power, Folk, and Symphonic metal make me warm and squishy inside.

Um, in a manly way. With rainbows and unicorns.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
    Whiskeyjack
    Petty Officer

by Whiskeyjack » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:27 pm

I wonder how many people that like folk metal also listen to much folk music?
    (I love folk metal, and I listen to a lot of Newfie/Celtic/Irish folk too.)

I bet most folk music feens don't much enjoy folk metal. :lol:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:25 am

Whiskeyjack wrote:I wonder how many people that like folk metal also listen to much folk music?

I have enjoyed a fair amount of folk and "world" music since my 20s which definitely fed into my interest in "folk metal." I don't spend a huge amount of time listening to it (TOO much music!!! :P ), but I have been to the big "Folk & Roots" fest in Chicago about 10 times http://www.chicagofolkandroots.org/, for example, and own a number of compilation cd's of this type of thing - this is a good record label for that http://www.putumayo.com/AboutUs . I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm a big fan of music from Saharan Africa, but also particularly like Celtic & traditional Irish, Creole/Cajun/Zydeco from the deep south of the U.S. - this is a GREAT version of the classic song "La Chanson de Mardi Gras" by Cedric Watson - lots of great fiddle in this! (part interview with the guy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fTT4WQ7qM

Here is a favorite song of mine from one of those compilations I own - I think some of you folks might like it!
    Máighread Ni Dhomhnaill (vocalist in the track): AMHRAN PHEADAR BREATHNACH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFHqXMPt1eE
    I love many of the voices of the Irish female singers - especially Mary Black! Saw her many years ago and she was fantastic.
    Song for Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdDnpkR ... ata_player
    (and I'm not just posting this to suck up to our Irish friends Peter & Paul (Metalwrath & Ravenlord) - :lol: I just think this is such a beautiful song.)

I'm wondering if any Europeans like Creole / Cajun / Zydeco music from the U.S.?
    Last edited by Laura on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

by Jöhn&Melönius » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 am

Whiskeyjack wrote:I wonder how many people that like folk metal also listen to much folk music?

Boiled in Lead, one of my favorite bands.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMlaDcsWRy0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJjz-DRI ... ure=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbcN4Za ... re=related this ones a riot as Kreator & BioHazard are mentioned in the beginning, heh I saw that tour, Coroner opened up.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 am

Lightbulb moment!!!! I hadn't tied the connection so tightly before - but it's so obvious to me now why when I first heard Omnos by Eluveitie - I immediately loved it - it is SO similar to a lot of folk/world music I've listened to and enjoyed!
    ELUVEITIE: OMNOS (and I think most would agree - this is in no way, shape, or form, a "metal" song.) :beerwink:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRy4vcSX4k
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:41 am

Jöhn&Melönius wrote:

Boiled in Lead, one of my favorite bands.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMlaDcsWRy0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJjz-DRI ... ure=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbcN4Za ... re=related this ones a riot as Kreator & BioHazard are mentioned in the beginning, heh I saw that tour, Coroner opened up.

I just watched and listened to the first link - great! :cheers:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 am

:oops: Sorry for the picture spam - but I was so thrilled to meet Anna and several of the band members of Eluveitie last February n Chicago - they are so nice! This picture is from the bar adjoining the Bottom Lounge after the gig way after midnight - I think Anna is just so talented and beautiful and is only around 21 if I recall.
    :lol: and just noticed there is a big PBR sign behind us - how appropriate since that's my standard drink at BL. :lol:

Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

by Jöhn&Melönius » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 am

I'm listening to the ones you posted Laura, that Cedric Watson is killer. AMHRAN PHEADAR BREATHNACH is similar to some early Boiled in Lead you would surely like, but unfortunately there are no links available.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08 am

Laura I could sum up that book for you in 2-3 sentences. But then it would just insult and piss people off, so for once I'll refrain.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 am

KevinP wrote:Laura I could sum up that book for you in 2-3 sentences. But then it would just insult and piss people off, so for once I'll refrain.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what it is...
    Kevin: "if it gets you all wet & giggly, you like it; if it doesn't, you don't."
    :mrgreen:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 am

Jöhn&Melönius wrote:I'm listening to the ones you posted Laura, that Cedric Watson is killer. AMHRAN PHEADAR BREATHNACH is similar to some early Boiled in Lead you would surely like, but unfortunately there are no links available.

Glad you liked the Cedric Watson link - I just discovered him this morning when I couldn't find a youtube of the artist that did that song on an album I have. I love the dude playing the triangle (and all of them) - he looks so into it. Boiled in Lead is a cool group - really liked the second link long "jam." Hehe - on a "jam" related note, makes me think of the long jams of the Grateful Dead - one of the great roots-rock-fusion-jam bands. (term I just came up with :lol: )
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:24 pm

I listen to a little bit of folk music. I used to listen to it at work a lot.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm sure this will surprise everyone... I never listen to folk music.
    I loved it in the movie Animal House when John Belushi smashed the acoustic guitar over that guys head!
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm

STACH100 wrote:I'm sure this will surprise everyone... I never listen to folk music.
    I loved it in the movie Animal House when John Belushi smashed the acoustic guitar over that guys head!

No - not surprised Stach. ;)
    I'm at work today and have been listening to lots of Eluveitie. Here's a bonus track from the album Evocation 1: The Arcane Dominion called Slania (Folk Medley) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQwR7rL ... ata_player
    It's pure folk music - so I can understand why someone who doesn't like folk/world/roots music *at all* would *not* like this. For me, however, this is like gold. :P
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:13 pm

And here's a freaky cool track from that Evocation 1 album: A Girl's Oath
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DsYjef ... ata_player

Strictly spoken word (I assume in the dead language Gaulish because I don't recognize it and they do some songs in Gaulish)...Anna's voice is so haunting and cool in this I think - makes me think of a witch casting a spell in an ancient forest or something! :smoking: ;) :P
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:24 pm

mooyagi wrote:New Eluveitie songs:

Meet the Enemy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6MGhMCQbgk
    A Rose for Epona - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89WI96MzZc

Don't like A Rose for Epona and Meet the Enemy isn't particularly exciting either, though could translate well live.

Just listened to these 2 for the first time - both fantastic I think - in the first like the combo of Chrigal's death vovals with all that wild flute action...and Anna's voice is especially beautiful in the second song.
    Pamela
    Petty Officer

by Pamela » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:05 am

Turisas, Týr, Ensiferum?? Time to Res the Folk Metal thread!!

(Someone mentioned this thread so I had to go find it ;) )

:viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:
    '13 '15 '16 '18
    '20 SOOON! -Saltatio Mortis-Threshold-Apocalypse Orchestra-Apocalyptica-Blind Guardian-Voyager-Solstafir-Lacuna Coil-Dragonforce-Amon Amarth-SuidAkarA-Starkill-Caliban-Turisas-Caligulas Horse-Opeth-Ghost Ship Octavius-Leaves Eyes
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Pamela wrote:Turisas, Týr, Ensiferum?? Time to Res the Folk Metal thread!!

(Someone mentioned this thread so I had to go find it ;) )

:viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:

I agree, now that 70K Tons is becoming the Barge to Rainbows, folk metal discussion should be resurrected.
    :viking:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Pamela
    Petty Officer

by Pamela » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 pm

My next big request is Heidevolk since Eluveitie was on board last year I'm not holding my breath for that one- Epic as it would be.
    '13 '15 '16 '18
    '20 SOOON! -Saltatio Mortis-Threshold-Apocalypse Orchestra-Apocalyptica-Blind Guardian-Voyager-Solstafir-Lacuna Coil-Dragonforce-Amon Amarth-SuidAkarA-Starkill-Caliban-Turisas-Caligulas Horse-Opeth-Ghost Ship Octavius-Leaves Eyes
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Pamela wrote:My next big request is Heidevolk since Eluveitie was on board last year I'm not holding my breath for that one- Epic as it would be.

I'm sticking with Arkona, Dalraida, Amon Amarth and Blind Guardian. Especially Blind Guardian.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Pamela
    Petty Officer

by Pamela » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Pamela wrote:My next big request is Heidevolk since Eluveitie was on board last year I'm not holding my breath for that one- Epic as it would be.

I'm sticking with Arkona, Dalraida, Amon Amarth and Blind Guardian. Especially Blind Guardian.

Blind Guardian would be AMAZING but they posted on facebook that they wouldn't be doing any touring until 2014 because of their new album... I'm HOPING 70k would be something so sepecial they couldn't turn it down.
    '13 '15 '16 '18
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:30 am

I'm still feeling pretty good about a potential Metsatoll announcement.

Last I spoke to them (when they came to San Francisco) they really wanted to get on the boat and were (potentially) in talks with the UMC crew about it.

Arkona would make sense too.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 am

Ecliptica wrote:I'm still feeling pretty good about a potential Metsatoll announcement.

Last I spoke to them (when they came to San Francisco) they really wanted to get on the boat and were (potentially) in talks with the UMC crew about it.

If past experience has taught us anything, any band that indicates they may be in talks with UMC or possibly playing the ship are not on the cruise. Any band that says they haven't been in touch and won't be on the ship will be playing the cruise. :P
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:00 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:I'm still feeling pretty good about a potential Metsatoll announcement.

If past experience has taught us anything, any band that indicates they may be in talks with UMC or possibly playing the ship are not on the cruise. Any band that says they haven't been in touch and won't be on the ship will be playing the cruise. :P

Anacrusis were in talks last year and they're playing this year (as they posted on the forums :mrgreen: ). So perhaps Metsatoll will be playing NEXT YEAR? You will find out soon.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am

mooyagi wrote:

That's kind of exactly what I was thinking.

Tyr = "no chance" = definitely playing.
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Metsatoll said something to me too, that they had been talking to someone at UMC. They flat out said they'd be doing Noctis in Calgary next year too.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I need to spend some serious time listening to Metsatoll....

Man - I reread this thread - there's a lot of good and funny stuff including "classic STACH" (no offense Stach ;) )

Realized that a link I posted earlier is now broken. Since ArlequinA was recently saying she liked Celtic/Irish stuff - maybe she'll like this - not folk metal, but just folk.

Here it is again: (love her voice)
    Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill - Amhran Pheadar Breathnach
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRpPPttOGI
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 am

Laura wrote:I need to spend some serious time listening to Metsatoll....

Man - I reread this thread - there's a lot of good and funny stuff including "classic STACH" (no offense Stach ;) )

Realized that a link I posted earlier is now broken. Since ArlequinA was recently saying she liked Celtic/Irish stuff - maybe she'll like this - not folk metal, but just folk.

Here it is again: (love her voice)
    Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill - Amhran Pheadar Breathnach
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRpPPttOGI

Nice. I should send this link to my mother. She loves this kind of music. That's how I got her into Korpiklanni.
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:36 am

Yes I love Irish/celtic music. That's why the folk metal appeals to me personally (espicially Eluveitie). St. Patrick's Day is my favorite holiday.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:26 am

sage - glad you liked the song!
    Disco - didn't realize you are an Eluveitie fan. :cool: I haven't talked about them much here lately, but I love that band - they have been so great every time I've seen them and especially on the cruise this year. Can't wait to see them at the Bottom Lounge once again in December.
Post Reply 196 posts