Post Reply 61 posts
Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Both?
  • Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Both?

I want to go on every UMC cruise - LOVE them!!
    33%
    Can't wait to go again, but line-up is a factor.
    38%
    May do another UMC someday, but not anytime soon.
    15%
    UMC? Been there, done that.
    2%
    Soon to be first timer, so not sure.
    12%

Total votes: 52
  • Laura
    Commander

Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Both?

by Laura » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:06 pm

I discussed this topic with lots of the Barge bound folks over the weekend in Miami, plus I know this kinda thing comes up here on the forums from time to time... so, curious to know what people think and have to say.
    Here are the full descriptions since they seemed to not fit in the poll.

1. I LOVE UMC CRUISES!!! (Plan to go on every future UMC cruise, regardless of line-up)

2. I love UMC cruises and can't wait to go again, but will only go on future cruises if the line-up sufficiently interests me.

3. There are many other metal fests I'd like to attend, so I don't plan on going on another UMC cruise anytime soon. (but won't entirely rule out going on another one someday)

4. Been there, done that (and I loved it, but will do other things instead from now on for variety's sake)

5. Soon to be first timer, so I'll wait and see how I feel.

I picked #3 btw.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Bot

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Definitely option two for me.

Lineup has to be a factor due to the fact that it costs roughly $2,000 to fly to Miami from Brisbane.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:40 pm

I picked number 3 but it really depends how I feel after getting back from 70k in February. I loved the cruise this year and think I will have a hell of a time on this next one but I really have a limited budget and vacation time and would like to diversify my travel a bit more.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Jebus_Cripes wrote:I picked number 3 but it really depends how I feel after getting back from 70k in February. I loved the cruise this year and think I will have a hell of a time on this next one...

I like the idea of going back each and every year, but that just doesn't sound very likely
    and yes, it depends on how I feel after next January's 70k - I'm convinced that it will be a blast again...but with so many of you not tagging along, it might not be the same anymore; we'll see, we'll see...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks all for your replies so far - interesting to read. Believe it or not, I actually know someone who told me over the weekend that she is a UMC customer for life (option 1), because she just loves the whole experience so much. That is really kinda cool from a dedication & enthusiasm point of view I think...but I doubt many people would pick #1. Although wait a minute - I think Greg (Ecliptica) said not long ago that he at least plans on doing every 70K as long as they do them.
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:10 pm

2. Just need some travel company before I book my cabin.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I answered 2, but it could just as easily be 3.
    Going to other festivals isn't a factor that I have to worry about as there are tons of festivals in Europe and getting to them is relatively cheap. So, the lineup is a huge factor as is who else is going. Plus I want to visit other places in the world too during our winter time. Maybe a UMC cruise from some other port would be good.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm

For me there are a lot of factors but i guess.

70k cruises cost me about 2000 euro each time.Thats with flights,cabin cost.booze and accomodation cost.
    Whereas i go to smaller festivals in Europe and it costs me 200 euro for a 2 or 3 day festival ticket and flight costs.Then maybe another 100 euro on top of that for booze and trains.the festival ticket cost is a lot lower for me as i go to smaller festivals though.Example : Wacken ticket costs 160 euro now .Headbangers open air ticket costs 50 euro.

Then there's the actual bands playing.To be honest when i was going on the 70k cruises i was hoping for more smaller U.s. bands that don't get to Europe very often.There were some of them but for the most part the lineup was just the usual European bands that play near every festival.So it kinda defeats the purpose of me going to America.

Another issue related with the financial costs is by going on 70k i don't have as big a budget for the rest of the year to see friends in Europe.

And then there's the time i have to take off work.70k cruise i need to take like a weeks holidays whereas with festivals in Europe that are over a weekend i may only need to take 2 days off work which in the long run gives me more chances to go abroad with my holiday days.

The cruises were great fun and i met some great people but they just don't fit with my traveling and festival lifestyle.
    Chances are you'll have more chance of bumping into me in Europe than on a UMC cruise again.

Also incase anybody tries to make claims that it's the only festival you get to hang around with the bands thats in no way true at all.At most smaller festivals the bands i want to see are always hanging around drinking with fans and watching other bands ;)
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 pm

The closest option that suits me is #03. Because I would like to check out some other festivals before I go back to the cruise, so in 2013 I'm going to MetalDays, Wacken and Summer Breeze instead, but I'll possibly go back on the cruise in 2014. There are other factors for me too, being in New Zealand it costs a lot to fly there, and there are other places I'd like to travel too. The line-up isn't toooo much of a factor for me, as long as there's at least a few bands I want to see. The vacation part of it is more important for me than worrying about the line-up too much.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Option #5 for me. This will be my first UMC festival. However, if I can afford it, I will also go in 2014 (unless I really have a bad time this year and/or get a job that doesn't let me go for a week. Coming from México, it is not that much expensive to fly to Miami, so budget is not as much a factor as for Europeans, Asians or Australians and New Zealanders (though our currency is cheaper (currently you need about 13 Mexican Pesos to buy one dollar), so that might drive up the prices in a comparative way). I can't say I will be at every UMC festival ever, but I'd certainly like to go to as many as possible (again, unless my first time really sucks, which I don't think will happen).
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:45 pm

This has become an integral part of my life; I've met tons of new friends over the years, I look forward to it all year, and I've gained a modest amount of exposure for viathyn that I otherwise wouldn't have. I've been quick to book every time as soon as I possibly could have, but maybe from now on I'll wait a little while. The fact of the matter is, this cruise doesn't sell out in a matter of days or weeks, so I realistically have more time to think about it instead of blindly booking. I gotta say, though, since I was on the maiden voyage and the second as well, soon to be the third, I'd love to just keep the tradition going every year. M'lady goes to a couple choice electronic festivals every year (Shambhala, Motion Notion), so this kind of gives me a more expensive and luxurious equivalent escape with some friends, haha. She'll probably come along to 70K sometime, and I'll probably end up going to Shambhala. It's hard for me to picture NOT going on this, so we'll have to see... I can't imagine the heartache of knowing that everyone was having so much fun on 70k...
    I feel it a little with barge right now, but since the lineup doesn't really do it for me, I'm not that busted up about it.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Laura wrote:I think Greg (Ecliptica) said not long ago that he at least plans on doing every 70K as long as they do them.

Yesm, Option #1 for me.

Couple of reasons why. And if UMC ever needs me to evangelize for them, I am all about it.
    • It's not just about the music for me (though this year the lineup is ZOMGINSANE) but it's also the only vacation I take per year.

• It gives me a chance to hang out with my best friend from undergrad who lives in New Orleans that I only see once a year on this cruise (the first year we drove from New Orleans to Miami; last year we just flew; this year thinking about taking a few days and driving again). I get to see a friend from high school who, before last year, I hadn't seen in 6 years. So that part of it is a blast.

• I get to interact with people who have similar interests to me. Being in my industry, I don't come across a lot of metalheads (though some of our developers do listen to metal, just few and far between). I like talking music -- metal is the most important thing in the world to me -- and you guys are awesome and knowledgeable and passionate about it like I am. I love that aspect of it.

The bands never disappoint me. While I'm a total folk and power metal weenie, I'm open minded enough to check out other bands :roll:. After seeing shows on a ship, I'm now too snobby to appreciate them on land. Eluveitie this past weekend was a perfect example. They were good, but it's not the cruise.

• The intimacy of the shows is amazing. I honestly would have to think twice if the cruise gets bigger. 2000 people MAX is perfect. Wacken is too big for me. ProgPower is too big for me. You can meet virtually everyone you want to, avoid those if you wish (same with bands). I'm a people-person. I like being personable and able to talk to everyone.

Yes, price is a factor, but I know I'll make it work every year regardless (or my job says 'no'). I think Andy and the gang do a great job and have no problem with them dragging out announcements because it always comes together perfectly. Without people bitching, these forums wouldn't be nearly as fun.

And I'm on this cruise to HAVE FUN. I've never had so much fun at other metal shows/fests. So long as we continue to get bands like Swashbuckle, Alestorm, Edguy, etc. who may not even be great musically but know how to party and realize it's a vacation, I am game forever.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:11 pm

#2 for me but mostly budget related.

If I had the coin, I'd be on the barge now and slated for 70K next month.

Really wish it sailed out of Vancouver but understand why not :lol:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:56 pm

UMC has provided probably the most fun trips of my life thus far, and I've been on a few. I probably won't go back on another cruise until the lineup is more my bag, this year there's only a handful of bands that I'd REALLY like to see and that's not enough for me.

Europe is calling me again... hopefully my next out of AB experience is Keep it True, Up the Hammers, Hammer of Doom, Bang Your Head or similar
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 am

i'm not into Festivals - i'm too old for that, i want to have my own Toilet, Bed, Shower und a plush sofa while watching the Bands. As my Ears are very flexible the 70k is perfect for me - so many different styles. and warm Weather in january is perfect - we spent the week after the Cruuze on some caribbean Island.
    i don't care if UMC is the Organizer or anyone else - as long as is as perfect as the 70k.....
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 am

If UMC continues to leave from Miami, we will probably go every year. It's really hard not to when its only a 4 hour drive to a festival :lol: Plus it's probably the most worry and planning-free vacation we can take; no flights, no hotels (except the hotel the night before, which is a want, not a need). I have the advantage of only working 12 shifts a month, so I essentially have unlimited vacation time; I'm not limited between choosing a 10 day Euro vacation or a week for the cruise. However, if UMC were to change the port location, we'd definitely be waiting on the line-up before booking again.
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 am

For me it's probably option 3. It all depends on my financial situation and the line-up for 2014.

As for other festivals, there'a Austin Psychfest in the spring and there's ProgPower.
    Last edited by Disco on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 am

I think I choose option 2, but only for next year, ie 70k + 6 euro festival in 2013 :whisky:
  • Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 am

If I lived in Florida my choice would probably be #1. My biggest reason for choosing #3 is the extra cost and time associated with flying and booking hotels. If I could drive up to the port that day and get on I'd probably go every year regardless of the lineup.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 am

viathyn wrote:It's hard for me to picture NOT going on this, so we'll have to see... I can't imagine the heartache of knowing that everyone was having so much fun on 70k...
    I feel it a little with barge right now, but since the lineup doesn't really do it for me, I'm not that busted up about it.

Echos my sentiments
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

I answered option 2. I would love to say option 1 but money and time is a factor. I don't see me missing any cruises in the short-term but I can't guarantee I'll be on every one. Plus, I would like to see more of the world at some point too.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm between options 1 and 2 but voted for 2 since I don't think I'll be able to do two cruises every year and if there is a power metal one I won't be on it, up unless it's free or they lump in symphonic metal and have bands I really want to see. I do plan on at least attending 70K for as long as I can afford it and have the time off.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 am

Number #2 really is for me. UMC provided the best bag for the buck on bands and the cruise plus it make for a really good and well needed vacation for me.

UMC provides me with a great opportunity to see a lot of different bands that I would not normally see and I am in full agreement with Lala’s comment of the appreciation of amenities after a certain age, plus the pool desk stage is still the best type of concert experience to have in my opinion.

I won’t be on 2013 :cry: :cry: mainly due to lack of available $$$$ and too many other $$$$ commitments but I hope to be on 2014. :beerwink:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:37 am

I went with #1 as I'm still on a cruise "high". But I really would like a 1.5 option, which balances out lineup/friends, as both are equally as important for me. If absolutely NONE of my friends were going and the lineup was still pretty good, I might skip it. But if lots of peeps were going and the lineup was merely OKAY, I'd still probably go (how I feel about 70K 2013 right now).

And as frustrated by the way UMC runs their whole front end "wall of silence" for months, at the end of the event, I get home from the cruise and think "boy, I can't imagine these cruises and everyone not being a daily part of my life".

I also finally got a chance to meet Andy (I never bumped into him on the prior 2 for whatever reason). To say he was super nice & appreciative of us veterans, would be a huge undestatement. It felt good and was a nice little ribbon on a fabulous Thursday night/Friday morning. It finally put a human face/voice on it as opposed to the Internet/phone barrier.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 pm

^^^ Sounds like all of you had a great time on Barge!! :cheers: I think I read somewhere on the bridge forum that you think it would be somewhat "gut wrenching" to sit out one of these cruises. And I gotta say, that I was *really* curious to see how I'd feel once Barge came and went - haha - without me. ;) Well, I'm happy to report that it really wasn't that difficult or that big a deal after all. ;) In fact, now I am truly enjoying reading some of the stories and seeing the pictures from many of you (really!! not just saying that), because having been on 70K 1& 2, I can totally relate to how awesome the experience is. :D

So, now that it seems that these UMC cruises will continue for some years to come, for me it is totally unrealistic (and even somewhat undesirable*) to consider going on every UMC cruise, or even one a year, if they continue to do more than one. And I'm totally cool with that concept. Haha...and as it has been mentioned and joked about here and on facebook, choosing what fabulous vacation one is going to go on is almost the ultimate first world "problem."

* I want to underscore that I use the word "undesirable" strictly from my personal perspective, and it is not a comment aimed in any way toward people who want to keep doing these cruises over and over. As absolulely fabulous as these cruises are, I have limited time & money for vacations, and there are just too many new places I want to see and new experiences I want to have (ranging from solo trips to ones with my family). Therefore, I'm placing several of those highest on my travel priority list - at least for the next few years or more. Of course, I'll miss all the people perhaps the most, so I may just hit-up another pre-party weekend and get my fix of you people. (although I did miss you, Kevin :( :lol: ) Actually, that worked out even better than expected last weekend (wow - was that only last weekend?? :shock: ) and made me still feel somewhat connected to the cruise experience. :P
    Last edited by Laura on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 pm

nice read!

about the gut-wrenching: I can't really tell yet because Barge doesn't really count for me; therefore I could "focus" on the being-happy-for-them part :cheers:
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 am

last_candle wrote:nice read!

about the gut-wrenching: I can't really tell yet because Barge doesn't really count for me; therefore I could "focus" on the being-happy-for-them part :cheers:

I really wanted to go to barge but I didn't get the gut wrenching effect because I knew I had 70k 2013 right around the corner. We shall see how I feel if I go a full year with no cruise.
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:On 70k 2011, I stated:
    I will likely return in the future, but NOT for 2012, just too much money and vacation time

On 70k 2012, I stated:
    I will most likely not return for Barge and 70k 2013, certainly I will not do both!

On Barge 2012, I stated:
    Andy, you have made me into a liar!

So, am I booking more cruises as soon as they are announced?
    Well, guess I won't say no, just "we'll see"

I do book blindly since I know I will have an awesome time, hanging with friends, drinking beers, feeling lika I am actually "normal" for 4 days, and the occasional band watching.

When I went to wacken in 2005 and 2006 it was mainly to hang with friends at the camp grounds, I watched 2-3 bands per (WOA) festival those two years.

So even though line up is pretty important, I also come for a huge part to meet my metal family on the ship.

But it is indeed also a whole lot of money every time, especially now with two so close together.

We shall see how it goes, but I feel I'm in between the first two, not blindly booking and the line up is sort of important.

05 wacken only a few gig????
    fantastic lineup gnof gnof :) by the way welcome back we see miami after 45 days :whisky:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 am

I want to go on every one, but the lineup and my financial situation are huge factors.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

I too, want to go on them all (well except for a all power/folk cruise. I like 70K and BTH was flat out amazing.)

Just need to hit lottery to be able to go on them all. LOL
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Hey Marlo- I found my lighter under my bed in cabin as i was leaving to go off the ship Friday.... Looked for you to return the blue mini you gave me. :)

Thanks for saving me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to go back !!!!!!

Watching you forumites headbanging was so much a highlight for me.

Bands that wrecked my neck were - Krisiun, Behemoth and At the Gates LOL
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 pm

As long as I can come up with the money, I want to be on all the cruises. I have to pay for more surgery among other things in 2013 so we shall see.

I like what Kevin said. :D My life would be very different right now without the cruises and you guys. I have never had so many metalhead friends in my life. I also got to see many awesome bands I had only dreamed of seeing. I do care about the lineup. So far I have loved the lineups on all 4 cruises.

I want to travel to other festivals as well. Already making plans for another ProgPower trip in 2013.
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 am

UMC cruises are my current drug. However, I couldn't make it on the Barge which really sucked. The lineup for Barge was great for me but the timing was terrible. As long as the timing is good I will try to go. I had to vote for number 2. If I had to choose between 70 2013 and Barge 12012, I would have gone for the Barge, since this current 70k lineup is ok, but I think is the weakest lineup out of all four of them. Next time, I'm definitely waiting for a more solid lin-up. This trip costs me $2000 + so a great linup is really a factor for me. If the boat sailed out of the West Coast like L.A. or something closer, then lineup wouldn't be too much of a factor.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Bumping this thread because I'm curious to know the opinions of the first time cruisers like X-Thor and also the 3 & 4 timers! :P (for the 4 timers especially - is your opinion (whatever it was before) still the same?) ...and ha-ha - could there ever be such a thing as "cruise burn-out?"

Also - how many will be "blind-bookers" for 70K 2014 or Barge 2014? (Or at least book with a very small amount of bands announced). In my case, I may book blind for Barge 2014 if the date is sometime in the fall (were they talking Oct or Nov?). It's funny how far away that seems....but concerning planning ahead for a family trip of ours for summer 2014, we'll be booking rooms at a few very popular National Park lodges on Feb 11, 2013. (first day you can book for summer 2014!)
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 pm

I did'nt make it to 70k this year but I already plan on going in 2014. All I've been thinking about all week is how much fun everyone else is haveing while I'm at work busting my ass. Plus it's freezing fucking cold here. Almost makes me sick to my stomach. Plus I miss my fellow cruisers from the first 2, I must return.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
  • Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 pm

I think I'm going to try and reduce on the summer festivals, to five a year or so. I'd really like to keep on going on the UMC cruises, but after four cruises I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep on doing all of them.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

As long as I can afford it, I will be at every UMC cruise there is. Unless it's a Doom Metal one.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:38 pm

X-Thor wrote:Unless it's a Doom Metal one.

I'd go to that one :)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 am

X-Thor wrote:As long as I can afford it, I will be at every UMC cruise there is. Unless it's a Doom Metal one.

:evil:

An exclusive doom cruise would rule! I'd be there.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 am

Laura wrote:Bumping this thread because I'm curious to know the opinions of the first time cruisers like X-Thor and also the 3 & 4 timers! :P (for the 4 timers especially - is your opinion (whatever it was before) still the same?) ...and ha-ha - could there ever be such a thing as "cruise burn-out?"

Also - how many will be "blind-bookers" for 70K 2014 or Barge 2014? (Or at least book with a very small amount of bands announced). In my case, I may book blind for Barge 2014 if the date is sometime in the fall (were they talking Oct or Nov?). It's funny how far away that seems....but concerning planning ahead for a family trip of ours for summer 2014, we'll be booking rooms at a few very popular National Park lodges on Feb 11, 2013. (first day you can book for summer 2014!)

Each cruise from here on out will be lineup defendant. But prior to booking each of the 3 cruises I've done, I was already happy with the initial announcements that it wasn't really "blind" at all.

1st had Obituary and a slew of others
    2nd was My Dying Bride (don't remember who else was in the initial announcement, nothing else mattered)
    Barge had 16 bands (Artillery & Loudblast, so I was sold)

70K 2014 just needs Madder Mortem out the gate for me :)
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
Post Reply 61 posts