Post Reply 70 posts
Buried Roots of Brutality: An Evolution of Death Metal
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Buried Roots of Brutality: An Evolution of Death Metal

by vikingbitch » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

And so begins the first step on my journey through death metal's beginnings and trenches, I have decided to take on a project that I wanted to share with all of you. I will be working my way through every death metal release I can find since the very beginning to not only listen to but to review. The purpose of reviewing the albums is to keep track and create a focus on taking the time to truly appreciate the music that I am exposing myself to.

I hope all of you bear with me as I try to fumble through this and forgive me in advance for skipping most demos and many EPs (I would end up trapped in 1988 and 1989 otherwise). In trying to map out an order for albums to review became fairly difficult as release dates for many albums especially early on I was sometimes only able to narrow down to a month or in many cases only a year. This being said, I will review albums in order of specific dates I was able to find and in the cases I was only able to determine the year that they were released those albums will be at the end. Many of these bands I've been listening to for a number of years as well have been lucky enough to see perform, there are many albums I'm looking forward to re-hashing and attempting to look at from a slightly different perspective for the purpose of this project as the eyes of a reviewer which I have never done before. More than anything however and what I expect to do more of; I am looking forward to this as a learning experience and self discovery, to submerge myself completely in a genre that I have cherished for years to discover new music within its past and learn more about my own tastes and preferences as well.

Please feel free to comment, rate and debate the reviews and the albums that I post. I would love the company along the way for this journey :)

Without further preamble, lets bring on the brutal.

POSSESSED - SEVEN CHURCHES - OCTOBER 16, 1985

Seven Churches was the thrash metal album that became too dark to be considered just a thrash album. It sets the mood at the offset with the iconic 1973 horror classic Exorcist intro that explodes into a fury of speed leaving a listener curious as to what precipice they will take you next. They seem to set themselves apart from their thrash predecessors and the music that was being created at the time from other bay area bands through the guttural vocals of Jeff Becerra that beckon you to join the depths of hell Possessed discovered, that although at times seem overshadowed by the instrumental, you can tell he sets a stage and a base for death metal vocalists to draw influence from for years to come. I find the biggest difference instrumentally from the thrash metal that had been released prior was the tempo and the fact that it seemed to go everywhere and unpredictably so. At moments I felt as if I was trying to connect the dots within the song structure. I’m not sure if this is due to the fact that the production was fairly raw but it seemed like the transitions between riffs and the instrumentals finding a balance just wasn't coming together in a few places and took time to find its way, although when it made its way there (which it always did) it did so not with a wimper, but with a bang. That being said, the place where the music found the perfect balance throughout the album was its variety between its almost explorative nature on where you can tell the artists were testing their boundaries instrumentally.

The lyrical content is as haunting as the wails of moaning demons that you hear at the beginning of the song “The Pentagram”. A good summation of the lyrics and messages trying to be portrayed throughout the album as could be inferred and felt by a listener is being inevitably pulled into the depths of hell, a place where illusions, nightmares and demons meet and what lies there. I find it a shame that the vocals seemed over shadowed at times when more attention and emphasis should have been on the lyrics rather than the need to focus on the curve balls that were thrown at such a rapid speed instrumentally. I can't even fathom what it must have been like to hear material like this for the first time in 1985, its raw and unsettling in all of the right places and was the perfect seed to unearth and begin this journey with.

Stand Outs: Fallen Angel, The Exorcist, The Pentagram

Rating: 8.5/10
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

Re: Buried Roots of Brutality: An Evolution of Death Metal

by BehnWilson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 pm

This is Awesome, I am looking forward to these, great choice for first cd. Im guessing Death's Scream Bloody Gore is next.

Do you have the book Choosing Death? There is a pretty good list at the back of what they consider essential death metal cds by year at the back of the book. If you want when I get home I can type in the first 2-3 years for you. (If you were local, Id lend you some cds, I have about 350 death metal cds)

If you want the whole list from the book pm me your email address and I can scan it and send you the whole list. I even emailed the author and he sent me his list for the years after the book was published. I love that book, it might be my all time favorite book.
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 pm

BehnWilson wrote:This is Awesome, I am looking forward to these, great choice for first cd. Im guessing Death's Scream Bloody Gore is next.

Do you have the book Choosing Death? There is a pretty good list at the back of what they consider essential death metal cds by year at the back of the book. If you want when I get home I can type in the first 2-3 years for you. (If you were local, Id lend you some cds, I have about 350 death metal cds)

If you want the whole list from the book pm me your email address and I can scan it and send you the whole list. I even emailed the author and he sent me his list for the years after the book was published. I love that book, it might be my all time favorite book.

Glad to hear you think so! I've got my battle plan set up from 1985 to 1992 (I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, by the looks of it the necessity to accumulate a list past then for the time being is kind of silly) and there are enough albums to keep me busy with. I most definitely have Death's Scream Bloody Gore on here and it will be coming "soon" but there will be a small detour there as I really want to encompass the roots of it ALL.

I don't have that book - would love to see the list though to see if I missed anything! I'll pm you my email address, thank you!!! :)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am

This is really cool Marlo. Are you planning on publishing this?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Stained Class wrote:This is really cool Marlo. Are you planning on publishing this?

Thanks :) Not really sure - I'm keeping record of them on a blog as well so non forumers can check out too if they so wish however I don't know how often on facebook I'll let people know that I have new entries up. We'll see when I get there I guess?

Ugh, the album I'm working on now is SO BAD it hurts. Time in my life I'll never get back...
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:I can really recommend the books

Choosing Death - by Albert Mudrian

and

Swedish Death Metal - by Daniel Ekeroth

Good reading, good research done

Can get much into the demo scene, but does cover the early years rather well including albums

If you want I can probably find room to bring them to Miami if you want to borrow them, but I fear the postage to send them to me in Sweden once done might be about as high as getting the books over in CAN...

Hmmm... maybe I'll just pick them up here then for probably less :lol: Thanks for the offer honey :)
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm

ARMAGEDOM - SILENCIO FUNEBRE - JUNE 6, 1986

Meanwhile in Sao Paulo, Brazil where punk music was thriving and thrash metal was on the verge of really digging its roots into the country, the album Silencio Fu by Armagedom was released. This album left me grasping at straws to consider it even a thrash and death crossover although the very few characteristics that could make it be considered so stood out enough in the material. The band’s obvious aim was focusing on speed although it seemed like they didn’t have the skill to back even that up. There were a few redeeming moments instrumentally although those were few and far between and utterly dismissible when the vocals entered the equation. The largest characteristic that brought me to keep this album on the list wasn’t from a technical point of view but more of an emotional one. They make an assault of ferocity that was a bit harsher and had a different feel from your average standard of thrash that leaves it in the debatable realm of what could be determined as death metal.

I don’t foresee myself ever listening to this album again, of the listens that I gave it I found myself counting down each time for the end of this 29 minute juvenile and distorted attempt at a thrash metal album stretching for more. Whether the “more” is from an artistic stand point and trying to dig into something rougher with a different brand of intensity or just stumbling upon it from lack of skill I’m not sure, however I’d bet money on the later.

Stand outs: Asilo na existencia (although that was a stretch even)

Rating: 2/10
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm

I never even heard of them. Was going to check out that cd or look for a youtube or other video but based on your review, I think I will skip looking this one up. Pretty busy with work now, moight check them out at another date.

The only bands Im familiar with from the Brazilian death metal scene were Sepultura and to a far lesser extent, Sarcafago.

I look forward to your next addition here, great topic! :death: .
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Heres the Amazon Link for the Choosing Death book.

http://www.amazon.com/Choosing-Death-Im ... 193259504X
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 pm

This is a really, really cool idea.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Awesome Marlo! You have quite a way with words :heavydrink:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:21 am

Wow! Great job on the Possessed review, dear! I'll definitely be reading the next ones too.
    Oh, I could borrow you my copy of Choosing Death. It is the Finnish edition, so it might be a bit difficult to read. :lol:

Aah, that reminded me that I still haven't started reading the Blod, Eld, Död book I bought a year (or two?) ago. :oops:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:39 am

Ja, ja, snart. :D
    Wishlist:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Memnoch wrote:Wow! Great job on the Possessed review, dear! I'll definitely be reading the next ones too.

:oops: :headbanger:

Thanks guys! My goal is to have five more albums done before we broad, I'm reaaaally enjoying it thus far. And very thankful that the one I'm working on now is about 12 times better than the shite that Armagedom was, time in my life I'll never get back... fun though to critique.

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Marlo, that book Ville is to lazy to read is so far only available in Swedish, which is a bit sad, since it is the best and most non-judgmental book on Swedish metal I've ever read.

I just pictured how fun it would be to hang out and have you read some of it to me. Damn all of you for living so far away :lol:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 pm

I might be taking the book with me and see if I could start reading it on the flights. It's been so freaking long since I last read Swedish that at the very least it gets me to fall asleep. :D
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 am

^Fuck, seems the Swedish language tv channel Yle Fem just aired that in November. :cry:
    Wishlist:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 am

Memnoch wrote:I might be taking the book with me and see if I could start reading it on the flights. It's been so freaking long since I last read Swedish that at the very least it gets me to fall asleep. :D

70K Bed time stories. This is going to be the best cruise EVER :lol:

I was able to pull up those links Gnoff but whole lot of Swedish that was just yeah, not something my brain wants to play with this early in the morning lol thanks though!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 am

Umm, from where do you search subtitles? :lol:
    Wishlist:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 pm

MESSIAH – HYMN TO ABRAMELIN – SEPTEMBER 30, 1986

The spoken introduction of "good people and bad musicians" seemed to accurately describe the first two songs off the album "Hymn to Abramelin" and "Messiah" quite well and each time I revisited the songs I was hard pressed to think otherwise. The energy and speed put into them is tremendous however the song structure just seemed far too sloppy and their sole purpose seemed like a premature burst of the aforementioned qualities. However each time I listened to the album I was happy that I stuck it through to get to the meat of it, I feel like I found my first gem in the rough with this one when they slow it down and get to the basics which they do for the balance of the album. Instrumentally it doesn't push too many boundaries but its catchy in all of the right places, one of my favorite riffs was in the song Empire of the Damned, when listening to the album skip to 17:21.

Rather than a thrash metal album that flirts with our genre of discussion, the doom metal influences in songs like "Space Invaders" and "Total Maniac" with their slower tempos are far more prevalent. The drums are distinguishable yet none of the musicians nor vocals over power another, considering the quality of production its actually slightly shocking how tight and put together these musicians from Switzerland were able to make their talents click. The music felt like death metal building blocks when you broke it down even further, not quite there but rudimentary characteristics within.

Stand Outs: Empire of the Damned, Total Maniac

Rating: 6.5
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Umm, from where do you search subtitles? :lol:

well there are certain sites available where you can search for movies with added subtitles to download :ugeek:

And I couldn't even find this one for downloading.

Oh well, I own the DVD, just come visit me Marlo, I'll translate it for you as we go along :D

:lol: Deal, could take me a while to get there to see it though lol
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm

I hope the next album is a little more mainstream, I havent heard either of these last two bandsso its hard to join in on the discussion.
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:27 pm

BehnWilson wrote:I hope the next album is a little more mainstream, I havent heard either of these last two bandsso its hard to join in on the discussion.

Don't worry, I've you seen you post the next album in the "Now Playing Thread" :D

Although it will be a shorter review, I had considered cutting it today since its always been more of a thrash album than a death metal album to me but decided to leave it after all.

Stay tuned :deathmetal:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

POSSESSED - BEYOND THE GATES - OCTOBER 31, 1986

We’re in the 80s now folks, the initial introduction sounds like the soundtrack to a typical emotional heart wrenching protaganist struggle in an 80s movie rather than the haunting introduction that Seven Churches set the stage with. Rather than push their raw and darkly supernatural sound that shook its listeners to their very core on Seven Churches, it seemed as if in this release they were trying to put out something a bit shinier, even commercial. The riffs are much tighter throughout the course of the album with slightly less diversity and more predictability tempo wise than its predecessor. I also must say that where they have stepped up is finding a balance in having the instrumentals and vocals rarely over power one another, you can tell their focus was to find each other instrumentally rather than stumble into one another. Mike Sus seems to have refined his art on this one and Jeff Becerra is settling into his stride on the vocals with more confidence and character in his ever distinguishable vocals.

Beyond the Gates will always be more of a thrash metal album and was a step back more into that direction, in my opinion, but their influence makes them worthwhile for the death/thrash crossover bands that followed and grew off their sound to search for something darker off the beaten path on even just a lyrical point of view let alone instrumentally. This was the final LP released by Possessed whom had broken up shortly thereafter the Eyes of Horror EP which had an even more so of a thrashier pace and sound under the production and influence of Joe Satriani. Of the demos and material that followed as well as the revolving door of band members when the band had reunited again, Possessed never seemed to be able to revisit their darker roots and stuck to their thrash influences so this will be their last mention on this journey save for their influential storm they set in motion.

Highlights: Phantasm, No Will to Live

Rating: 6/10
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Outstanding write-up and excellent choice.

Ive been waiting on for this awhile, I was dying of curiousity on what album you were goign to pick next.

I absolutely love Possessed's Seven Churches. I also like Beyond The Gates, but nowhere near as much.

They were definitely a pioner in the thrash / death movement.
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 am

BehnWilson wrote:Outstanding write-up and excellent choice.

Ive been waiting on for this awhile, I was dying of curiousity on what album you were goign to pick next.

I absolutely love Possessed's Seven Churches. I also like Beyond The Gates, but nowhere near as much.

Thanks!! I really appreciate the feedback and happy that someone else is enjoying these :)

I'm already working on the next one which I should have up if not today then well, "soon" :lol:
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:Outstanding write-up and excellent choice.

Thanks!! I really appreciate the feedback and happy that someone else is enjoying these :)

I'm already working on the next one which I should have up if not today then well, "soon" :lol:

Is it soon yet?
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Don't be silly, it's never soon
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:50 pm

alex_canada wrote:Don't be silly, it's never soon

Welcome to the Thunderdome of SOON boys, where better than the 70K forum. (But yeah, sorry for delay - ah life bullshit)

SEPULTURA - MORBID VISIONS - NOVEMBER 10, 1986

For most fans and I can say in my case as well, this is one of those albums that can remind you of what first attracted and drew you into metal no matter the genre in discussion. Founded by the two young brothers Max and Igor Cavalera whom were brought up in the harsh political and economic climate of Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil, Sepultura broke into the scene with their Bestial Devastation EP. Shortly thereafter Morbid Visions was released, although the youth of the musicians shines through the sloppiness of the music they still manage to take hold of you in a number of catchy riffs throughout the album that so easily seduce lingering personal frustrations to the surface with their raw and unique blend of instrumentals and guttural vocals. That particular blend doesn't see much variety between the songs themselves but there are a few standout riffs that pull you back again for seconds.

Troops of Doom is an appropriate song title. As noticed in previous albums one of the elements to fitting the death metal disfigured cookie cutter mold would be the implementation of classic doom influences that had come before. Taking the tempo back at times to drag it into something slower and darker, before and between an assault of speed and aggression which is an apparent instrumental focus on each of the tracks. Aggression is what truly defines this album for me, the passion and driving force between my exploration of metal in any genre over the years has derived and fed off my need to emotionally connect to the music almost in a therapeutic sense. This is an album that focuses on emotion over skill or technicality and in that sense knocks it out of the park, it may be raw and for the most part sloppy but it draws out the emotions that it was created to; anger and frustration being the foremost of those feelings.

Standouts: Morbid Visions, Troops of Doom, Funeral Rites

Rating: 7.5/10
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 pm

I love that album. That and there debut EP were for the most part their only truly Death metal albums. Troops of Doom is still IMO one of their top 5 songs ever.

As they evolved and also added Andreas Kisser on guitar they became more talented musically and leaned towrds more of a thrash sound then on Roots going off into some bizaare styles some refer to as tribal. I actually prefer their thrashier material myself.
    Last edited by BehnWilson on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm

BehnWilson wrote:I love that album. That and there debut EP were for the most part their only truly Death metal albums. Troops of Doom is still IMO one of their top 5 songs ever.

As they evolved and also added Andreas Kisser on guitar they became more talented musically and leaned towrds more of a thrash song then on Roots going off into some bizaare styles some refer to as tribal. I actually prefer their thrashier material myself.

Troops is such a classic, definitely what electrified them publicity wise. I actually like their EP Bestial Devastation a bit more than this one. I'm looking forward to doing Schizophrenia, that's a great one too
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Beneath The Remains is far and away my favorite Sepultura album. Roots Bloody Roots of their Roots cd is my favorite song of theirs. I went a year plus with that in my alarm clock as my song to wake up to. ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS BLOODY ROOOOOTS!!!!

(I have the ringtone to Led Zeppelin's The Immigrant Song as my current alarm on my Iphone. AAAAAAAAAAAH AH!!!)
  • TantalusSpine
    Wiper

by TantalusSpine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 am

Another great Death Metal album is Deicide's debut album. Check it out if you haven't already :shred:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:40 am

BehnWilson wrote:Beneath The Remains is far and away my favorite Sepultura album. Roots Bloody Roots of their Roots cd is my favorite song of theirs. I went a year plus with that in my alarm clock as my song to wake up to. ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS BLOODY ROOOOOTS!!!!

(I have the ringtone to Led Zeppelin's The Immigrant Song as my current alarm on my Iphone. AAAAAAAAAAAH AH!!!)

:lol: That's awesome. My favorite songs off that album are easily Breed Apart and Born Stubborn, which I usually listening to when walking around outside, with a little more stomp and bounce to my step than usual haha.

TantalusSpine wrote:Another great Death Metal album is Deicide's debut album. Check it out if you haven't already :shred:

It is! Oh good grief... I just counted, I am 45 albums away from covering their debut album released in 1990... :cry:
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    TantalusSpine wrote:Another great Death Metal album is Deicide's debut album. Check it out if you haven't already :shred:

It is! Oh good grief... I just counted, I am 45 albums away from covering their debut album released in 1990... :cry:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so much metal to listen to... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

:lol:
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:43 pm

I like the surprise of seeing what you review, dont tell us in advance whats next though clues are okay/fun.

Im anxiously awaiting to me the two landmark releases in the genre:
    -Suicide Silence - (sorry, dont know any of their album titles).
    -Norma Jean (same as above)

Seriously:
    -Death - Scream Bloody Gore &
    -Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness (IMO the best death metal album ever, & Chapel of Ghouls, the best death metal song ever)
    Last edited by BehnWilson on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

BehnWilson wrote:Seriously:
    -Death - Scream Bloody Gore &
    - Morbid ANgel - Altars of Madness (IMO the best death metal album ever, & Chapel of Ghouls, the best death metal song ever)

This
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 am

Beneath was my introduction to the band and helped get me into death metal. I love Schizophrenia as well, but I don't find Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation all that listenable (too raw and sloppy) :mrgreen:
    Last edited by KevinP on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • AlexB
    Oiler

by AlexB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 am

Morbid Visions was so raw because of the poor production, their young age (Igor was 17 and Max maybe 20), and the fact that they didn't know how to tune their drums and guitars :lol:
    aka Sanders
    2012 - Barge - 2014 - 2016 - 2018 - 2019
    IG djdurum
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm

POST MORTEM - CORONER'S OFFICE - 1986

Post Mortem have been labelled as pioneers by some although often overlooked in their influence to death metal, the way in which I agree is their exploration of influences and utilization of such a spectrum of them within their music to artistically try and stretch the size of the canvas of where heavy metal music could be drawn. This being said, I prefer more method to my madness on metal albums and there is just too much going on with this one regardless of the variety and hidden solo gems this album is riddled with. The best song example for how heavily afflicted this album is with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is "No Time". The beginning and end of the song have a raw thrash and punk infused sloppy feel but sandwiched in between is a characteristically out of place although somewhat impressive solo that could have been plucked from a classic rock album that devolves into a slow, measured and heavy doom riff before making its way full circle. They took every genre in the rainbow including jazz and a hint of even classical influence and sound to create this truly experimental piece of work.

There were really only two songs that came up to bat for our genre of discussion, "Coroner's Office" and "Death to the Masses", the later an interesting one since it was for the most part a nice mixture of very catchy doom and thrash heavy riffs with a solo that fits neither of those genres and polished with a few shiver inducing moans made by the vocalist, John McCarthy. When first hearing the song "Coroner's Office" I almost immediately zeroed in on the lyrics, it wasn't the typical satanic imagery that had been (not so) popularly peddled by other bands previously and of this time. This was gore, not a half bad "stab" at it either with lyrics such as "behind the dripping scalpel knife I deface your mother's womb in the coroner's office" and "putrid gasterous juices amongst the bloody bowels carving choice selections". Although "Coroner's Office" could easily be deemed quite crude, the lyrics throughout the entire album really showcase the strong sense of humor that these young musicians from Boston possessed with songs like "Syncopated Jazz" and "Soupy Sales" which were nothing more than mid marker jokes woven into the album for yet a further spice of variety. You really need to be in the mood for this album, by that I mean in a mind set of not taking it at all seriously or looking for any specific genre of music in it because it has it all.

Standouts: Death to the Masses, Coroner's Office

Rating: 5/10
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Image

Someone just pointed out to me, that the cover art... is actually from the Snow White ride at Disneyland.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I seriously want to bump my rating to 7/10 on that alone :lol:
Post Reply 70 posts