Post Reply 44 posts
CDs vs. Digital
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

CDs vs. Digital

by Malaka » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:46 am

I was having a discussion with several friends, and I'm giving consideration into selling or trading my used CDs in favor of going digital (iTunes and such).
    The overwhelming vote was in favor of keeping my CDs, many of which are autographed, but I have to weigh the pros and cons.
    Pros:
    CDs are fucking metal and should not be sold.
    CDs have artwork, liner notes, and sometimes other added bonuses.
    CDs have been around for some time, and show their longevity.
    CDs still have value.

Cons:
    CDs are cumbersome and take up space. I don't want to move ever again with all my CDs, but unfortunately I'll have to at some point.
    CDs cannot be listened to anywhere and everywhere. I could take an iPod with me anywhere and listen to music all day no matter where I go.
    CDs only have so much material. I could order an entire catalog of stuff that I don't have, and stuff that is extremely hard to find on iTunes.
    CDs may become obsolete in 10 years.

So that said, would you sell 500 CDs to go mainly digital?
    The problem I run into is that selling them will take a lot of time and shipping costs will cost too much. There aren't many people who are willing to buy an entire catalog of Cannibal Corpse box sets/CDs/DVDs/autographed memorabilia, and if so, they probably wouldn't go for my asking price.
    Can someone please talk me out of making a bad decision? :oops: :?
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: CDs vs. Digital

by Stained Class » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 am

I do a lot of both. I like having physical cd's but I also like the convenience of digital. 500 CDs is a lot and if it's a pain to move with maybe you should consider selling off part of your collection and keeping some of the more sentimental stuff with autographs and such.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 am

I do both digital and cd ... try moving 3000 cds. (picture of a large portion [most - newer purchases] can be found in cd purchase thread) I would never sell my collection. I have had some for over 20 years now and they still sound great. Mainly because I just rip 'em and put 'em on a shelf.

I very rarely play cds anymore but I just can't part with 'em either. Many of the ones I have bought in the last 7 years have only been played once and that was when I ripped it into mp3

I have my entire collection on my computer and then some (digital downloads) but my ipod can only hold 160 gigs of it :cheers: :beerhorns:
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 am

I have about 1000 CD of Metal and I love it. I look the cover, etc.

the sound of the MP3 is crap for me. But i'm an old man so.....
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 am

I wouldn't sell them unless I thought I had something that would actually get what I felt it was worth.

When my personal CD collection got to be about 1000, I bought a bunch of those sleeve/binder type cases for the CD's and booklets and threw out just about all the jewel cases.
    I kept all digipacks, box sets, etc together. It took a lot of time to go through everthing, but in the end it was worth it to still have the discs and have them stored more compact and easier to move around.

Now I buy the majority of stuff as digital unless there's a sweet pre-order bundle, special packaging, or I buy it from the band at a show. For me, it was too much hassle storing all those CD's / Cases when you can fit thousands of songs on a hard drive, phone, mp3 player/iPod. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the artwork or reading the lyrics and liner notes, so that's not that important to me either. I'm actually buying more stuff on vinyl than on CDs these days.

Most digital downloads (legal) today are 256kbps and above and sound just fine to me.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am

Over the last decade I've sold nearly 2000 CDs through various outlets. I made a LOT more money back in the beginning than I have recently, cause so few people are buying. Gone are the days of bidding wars on eBay, except for the rarest releases from popular bands... rare underground releases or bands that haven't been active in awhile get no love anymore.
    But, I got tired of the work, rearranging shelf space when I got new stuff, lugging them all when moving, and monitoring for theft... "friends" have stolen several CDs from me, and I reached a point where just having the music and the money made goin' digital and selling my preferred option. Yup, nothing will EVER compare to the pride of the massive collection... but oh well, I'm tired of my possessions owning me... can't wait to copy all my DVDs and sell those and then sell my books and probably a decent chunk of my t-shirts collection...
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:58 am

Interesting post Bill ^^^ (and others) - I like what you said about your (physical) possessions "owning" you. I can relate to that since I continue to be in a "deaccessioning" (term we use in the library field a lot) mode regarding my own personal (physical) possessions...not that I ever had excessive amounts of stuff (as in the George Carlin routine) to begin with - but I'm winnowing down my stuff to only things that I'm really crazy about and absolutely don't want to part with. The same goes for anything new I buy whether it's clothes or whatever - I have to really LOVE and/or absolutely NEED it.

Erik (Malaka - hey what happened to Slaytanic? :P ) - I started a thread in January where several folks discussed the physical vs digital pros & cons. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3310
    As I said there - I'm strictly digital now (for at at least a few years) for anything new I listen to or buy (and mostly use Spotify now since January)....and I love the change!!! I still have most of my cds (did sell & give away some) - but I never had a huge collection to begin with (few hundred maybe?)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm

The sound of a CD is far superior to mp3 since you are losing alot of the overtones during the transfer, and simply because the mp3 sound doesn't have the depth of a CD. The best sound is still vinyl, but as hard as they are trying to bring LPs back, to say the least not all releases are or will be available.

There are some stores that will take your whole collection if you wanted to part with it, but will not pay you even close to what you could get selling on line (e.g. Amazon).
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Malaka and I already discussed this with each other but figure I'll post here anyways.

I've gone completely digital now. Considering I've driven across the country twice in the last few years for a move it definitely saved a ton of space. Having to fit all your life's possessions into a car really makes you realize how much physical "stuff" you can do without (and how much unnecessary crap you currently have). Digital albums are much cheaper to purchase and the convenience can't be beat. I tend to listen to music in the background so a loss of sound quality isn't really that much of an issue. My digital albums sound fine. I never read the liner notes so losing those are not a problem and album artwork can be easily found and downloaded.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 pm

I would say it depends on your living situation. If you own a house and are allowed to have a "man cave" dedicated to your hobbies and such, I think staying CD is completely cool. It's awesome from a collector's perspective (even though most won't care and never see it). If that's not in the cards, I'd definitely go digital. I buy a few cds a year that I'm really excited about in which I actually want to read lyrics/art. Bands are a lot more lazy with the artwork these days. I don't blame them.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 am

Bentz! wrote:Now I buy the majority of stuff as digital unless there's a sweet pre-order bundle, special packaging, or I buy it from the band at a show. For me, it was too much hassle storing all those CD's / Cases when you can fit thousands of songs on a hard drive, phone, mp3 player/iPod. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the artwork or reading the lyrics and liner notes, so that's not that important to me either. I'm actually buying more stuff on vinyl than on CDs these days.

Most digital downloads (legal) today are 256kbps and above and sound just fine to me.

This is pretty close to my view. I've given most of my CDs to my nephew and only kept the ones I really like - might get rid of them too. I've never been into getting stuff signed by the band or anything, so the physical copies hold very little to no extra value to me.
    And having lots of cool CDs does have the downside of "friends" borrowing them and never returning them like Bill wrote.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm a CD person and don't have anything on my computer. Have an iPod but rarely use it.

Then I got a decent chunk of my CDs stolen, so I've been replacing those as well. Still haven't made the transition over to digital yet. I'll get to it eventually.

When I was younger, I discovered a lot of the bands I listen to through the liner notes of other albums, so I still do read those. I like the idea of having the physical album in your hands. Something is just lost for me in digital. Meh. I'm old.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Ecliptica wrote: I like the idea of having the physical album in your hands. Something is just lost for me in digital. Meh. I'm old.

That happens to me too.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:20 pm

No idea how many cds we have - probably close to a thousand. I do the digital and physical thing.

Quite often with physical CDs I'll buy them and the only time they will actually get used is to rip them once to digital form then they will go onto the shelf and I'll listen to them in digital on my phone, or my laptop, or via a USB in the car stereo!

And I tend not to buy standard editions any more - I'll buy limited editions or autographed editions or editions with additional loot (ie guitar picks, patches, posters, etc).
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Feb Whitesnake-/-Scorpions May Tyr-/-Arkona Threshold
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 am

cowboy71 wrote:No idea how many cds we have - probably close to a thousand. I do the digital and physical thing.

Quite often with physical CDs I'll buy them and the only time they will actually get used is to rip them once to digital form then they will go onto the shelf and I'll listen to them in digital on my phone, or my laptop, or via a USB in the car stereo!

And I tend not to buy standard editions any more - I'll buy limited editions or autographed editions or editions with additional loot (ie guitar picks, patches, posters, etc).

I'm pretty much the same way. I love getting physical CDs, especially the limited stuff. I do rip everything and tend to listen to almost everything in digital format, but I don't think I will ever stop buying CDs.
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 am

Where do you buy your CD ?
    I live in France near Belgium and there is a heavy metal cd shop in Belgium where we can listen before to buy. It is very interesting and very rare now.

there is choice in Amazon and there are websites where to buy CD and it is possible to listen to Deezer or Spotify (I have listening yesterday the new Oliva, it's great, Oliva at the Cruise)

Will be happy to know heavy metal cd shops in the world
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Amazon has become my go-to. I have a record store around here called Amoeba Music (www.amoeba.com) and they have a HUUUUUUUGE metal selection, but it's never power or folk metal -- but probably hundreds of random thrash/black/doom bands. I think the SF one has a whole black metal section now.

There's a pretty decent place in Berkeley, CA called Rasputin Music. Only been there once because I was wandering around the city and had time to kill, but I got my Svartsot 'Maledictus Eris' CD there.

After I got my CD collection stolen, some people on Reddit were kind enough to mail me some. Other than that -- all Amazon. Usually for fairly cheap, too.
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:14 am

Thank you all for your responses! I still have no idea what to do, but I think selling my CDs would be a kneejerk reaction to my utter dismay of the current status of my collection. Because at the moment my entire catalog of CDs & DVDs are stuck in bins because my media shelf got broken by the movers, and I haven't had the time or money to go buy a new one. :cry:
    I may sell some of them that aren't signed and/or listened to and save up for an iPod or iPad. Or maybe I'll buy more CDs! :shock: :bmhorns:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Buy more CDs! Do it!
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 pm

I buy close to all my metal CDs online now.

Locally I buy CDs from:

www.wowhd.com.au (pretty good prices, good range of metal, regularly have sales like 20% off, etc)
    www.fishpond.com.au (not as good a range as WowHD, but sometimes have insanely cheap metal cds)

International:

www.nuclearblast.de
    www.emp-online.com

Both have reasonable prices, and the best range of limited edition stuff. And they have loyalty schemes where you earn points whenever you buy there that can make future orders cheaper. International postage costs are pretty steep though so I tend to wait until I have a heap of things I want to order and do it in one order.

www.cmdistro.com
    www.napalmrecords.com

Both have a more limited range, but sometimes have unique preorders/limited editions that make them worth checking.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 pm

If Digital is so awesome than why do bands still sell CDs at shows? =-P

Plus most bands in my collection are so obscure ( yet new! ) I have a better chance of buying their cd than finding it on a digital store.

I could get on itunes and amazon and search for 20 bands I like and maybe only find digital albums by five of them.

Plus I find so many good bands in CD thank you lists, it's like finding buried treasure even after listening to a kick ass album.

Plus someone has to help keep the small metal distros and underground labels in business! Would you rather Amazon and iTunes to get your money or some metalhead working to promote the music we love??
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:24 pm

A slight sidetrack - for any band looking to sell music online, CDbaby gives you much more money per digital track sale than itunes ($0.90/0.99 vs $0.45/0.99), and they now apparently do physical printing and shipping to order!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 am

There is a loss of sound quality in the mp3 format, unless you're downloading/ripping wav files or something CD has a superior sound. That being said, it's not like all the music I listen to was produced with sound quality in mind. I've sold down my cd collection to keeping about 500ish cds and now only buy physical copies from favorite bands and at shows if I think I really need something right away or see something different (or an unsigned band) that I like. I do rip it all to digital and keep the CDs mostly as backup. They scratch too easily in a car or traveled about, I'd rather just burn copies or have it on an mp3 player. But it's probably just my desire to retain the chance at the excitement I had opening cassette tape and studying the inlay. It's all going to die, like the newspaper, just slowly.
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:29 pm

I buy CD's for the following reasons:

1. I don't have any mp3 player outlet in my car to play my music digitally. I only have a CD player.

2. CD's are convenient for loading onto my Xbox. :)

3. I like having the physical CD's themselves, along with the jacket and its artwork and lyrics (though for some reason every now and then artists don't post lyrics in their jackets, which makes no sense at all).

4. With the CD you are getting the best quality sound possible. Compressing them digitally takes away from the sound quality, ALTHOUGH it may not be enough to really detect unless you have super sensitive ears. Still, you're guaranteed to hear the music as close to the artist and the production team intended the music to be heard on a CD.

That being said, I would say maybe it's time to get rid of SOME CD's. Do you really listen to all those hundreds or thousands of CD's still? Maybe your taste has changed over the years and a band you once thought was really cool now just sounds OK. Might be time to get rid of them. I try not to buy a CD unless I know I'm gonna like it. Only every now and then will I be disappointed for having bought a particular CD, even if I do listen to some more than others.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm still swearing by Spotify - absolutely love it. I may never "buy" a CD (physical or digital version) ever again - yes, I know I am evil/sacriligeous for saying that.* :twisted: :P

*although I do pay a nominal monthly fee for my mobile device (iPhone) access - well worth it.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 am

Chris wrote:There is a loss of sound quality in the mp3 format, unless you're downloading/ripping wav files or something CD has a superior sound. That being said, it's not like all the music I listen to was produced with sound quality in mind. I've sold down my cd collection to keeping about 500ish cds and now only buy physical copies from favorite bands and at shows if I think I really need something right away or see something different (or an unsigned band) that I like. I do rip it all to digital and keep the CDs mostly as backup. They scratch too easily in a car or traveled about, I'd rather just burn copies or have it on an mp3 player. But it's probably just my desire to retain the chance at the excitement I had opening cassette tape and studying the inlay. It's all going to die, like the newspaper, just slowly.

A lot of people actually get a lot of hard drive space and use FLAC files in stead of MP3's. They are lossless so sound just as good as a CD.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Blumpkin wrote:3. I like having the physical CD's themselves, along with the jacket and its artwork and lyrics (though for some reason every now and then artists don't post lyrics in their jackets, which makes no sense at all).

I remember reading an interview with Def Leppard years ago and the interviewer asked them why they didn't publish their lyrics on their album covers.

They replied that it was because their lyrics were nonsense (or words to that effect) :lol:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2021 Wishlist
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 am

Stained Class wrote:
    Chris wrote:There is a loss of sound quality in the mp3 format, unless you're downloading/ripping wav files or something CD has a superior sound. That being said, it's not like all the music I listen to was produced with sound quality in mind. I've sold down my cd collection to keeping about 500ish cds and now only buy physical copies from favorite bands and at shows if I think I really need something right away or see something different (or an unsigned band) that I like. I do rip it all to digital and keep the CDs mostly as backup. They scratch too easily in a car or traveled about, I'd rather just burn copies or have it on an mp3 player. But it's probably just my desire to retain the chance at the excitement I had opening cassette tape and studying the inlay. It's all going to die, like the newspaper, just slowly.

A lot of people actually get a lot of hard drive space and use FLAC files in stead of MP3's. They are lossless so sound just as good as a CD.

I'll have to look in to this. Are these file types accepted by mp3 devices like iPods or even your cell phone, and do they take up less space than a non-compressed mp3 file?
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 am

Blumpkin wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

I'll have to look in to this. Are these file types accepted by mp3 devices like iPods or even your cell phone, and do they take up less space than a non-compressed mp3 file?

I don't think they are compatible with those and they take up a lot of space.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 am

All decent OSes have built-in support for FLAC. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 am

Memnoch wrote:All decent OSes have built-in support for FLAC. :beerwink:

Yeah this is true, but I'm not sure about mobile devices (Ipods, Phones, etc).
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, there you go then. I'll maybe have to catch up with the 21st century and transfer everything I have into flac files...when I have time, which will probably be when a few years after I die. I'll keep this sort of thing in mind when it is convenient.
    mindgrind
    Petty Officer

by mindgrind » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:17 pm

the great thing about spotify is the pay the artist for every track played , they make more of them then itunes and others :shred:
    2019 - Deck 2
    2018 - Deck 10
    2017 - Deck 7
    2016 -
    2015 - Deck 9
    2014 - Deck 4
    2013 - Deck 3
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 6
    2011 - Deck 7
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 pm

I seriously doubt people are going to be able hear the difference in a high quality mp3 and a cd when driving with road noise or when listening to their music on a shitty set of earbuds. I have been listening to mp3 for getting close to twenty years now. I'd love to see some people take some blind listening tests in real world listening situations.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:59 pm

mindgrind wrote:the great thing about spotify is the pay the artist for every track played , they make more of them then itunes and others :shred:

Artists get paid 0.4 cents per stream on spotify.

Itunes pays out $0.45 to the artist per track ($0.99)
    CDbaby pays out $0.90 to the artist per track ($0.99)

Source: I am someone who makes a (very small) amount of money from the aforementioned media.

Please check out my band

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 pm

viathyn wrote:
    mindgrind wrote:the great thing about spotify is the pay the artist for every track played , they make more of them then itunes and others :shred:

Artists get paid 0.4 cents per stream on spotify.

Itunes pays out $0.45 to the artist per track ($0.99)
    CDbaby pays out $0.90 to the artist per track ($0.99)

Source: I am someone who makes a (very small) amount of money from the aforementioned media.

For what it's worth, Jake - I did buy your first cd on iTunes quite a while ago - before I started using Spotify regularly this past January. I was aware from some articles I've read that Spotify pays peanuts for each track played....didn't know what iTunes paid - good to know. That makes sense though since the iTunes track buyer is paying the full price for that item, whereas, with Spotify - Spotify is only getting money from "buyers/customers" if they go the monthly subscription route (to have access to their whole massive catalog) 24/7 on one's mobile device. I pay around $9.99/month for that access on my iPhone - which is a fraction of what I had been spending previously per month on iTunes in recent years, and physical music in the form of cd, lp, or tape format over the years before I went 100% digital about 3-4 years ago. For people who listen to Spotify on their PC for free, isn't there also some "no-ad" subscription rate too? Thought I read that somewhere.

You probably know the answer to this - so I'll ask you. Can a band/artist refuse to be on Spotify? I have yet to find a group that is *not* on Spotify. I have noticed that some new *releases* aren't on Spotify right away - but it seems that in at least a few cases (new ones by TesseracT & Kvelertak I think), they were fully available within a short period like a few weeks.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:00 pm

rootleaf wrote:I seriously doubt people are going to be able hear the difference in a high quality mp3 and a cd when driving with road noise or when listening to their music on a shitty set of earbuds. I have been listening to mp3 for getting close to twenty years now. I'd love to see some people take some blind listening tests in real world listening situations.

I TOTALLY agree with this. Would love to see the results of some "blind listening test" for those who claim to hear the difference.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Laura wrote:
    For what it's worth, Jake - I did buy your first cd on iTunes quite a while ago - before I started using Spotify regularly this past January. I was aware from some articles I've read that Spotify pays peanuts for each track played....didn't know what iTunes paid - good to know. That makes sense though since the iTunes track buyer is paying the full price for that item, whereas, with Spotify - Spotify is only getting money from "buyers/customers" if they go the monthly subscription route (to have access to their whole massive catalog) 24/7 on one's mobile device. I pay around $9.99/month for that access on my iPhone - which is a fraction of what I had been spending previously per month on iTunes in recent years, and physical music in the form of cd, lp, or tape format over the years before I went 100% digital about 3-4 years ago. For people who listen to Spotify on their PC for free, isn't there also some "no-ad" subscription rate too? Thought I read that somewhere.

You probably know the answer to this - so I'll ask you. Can a band/artist refuse to be on Spotify? I have yet to find a group that is *not* on Spotify. I have noticed that some new *releases* aren't on Spotify right away - but it seems that in at least a few cases (new ones by TesseracT & Kvelertak I think), they were fully available within a short period like a few weeks.

Once again, thanks for the support!

I'm afraid I do not know much about spotify, nor have I ever actually received money from them as the service isn't available in Canada. I can't even visit the website or see artists or anything! Considering it was an independent release, I imagine the money from any streams we may have is disappearing into narnia or something, haha.

Please check out my band

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Laura wrote:You probably know the answer to this - so I'll ask you. Can a band/artist refuse to be on Spotify? I have yet to find a group that is *not* on Spotify. I have noticed that some new *releases* aren't on Spotify right away - but it seems that in at least a few cases (new ones by TesseracT & Kvelertak I think), they were fully available within a short period like a few weeks.

I recall that Century Media at one point pulled all of their artists off of Spotify for a little bit, though I think they are back on now. So in that case, it was a record company decision, not at artists' one.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:57 pm

viathyn wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Once again, thanks for the support!

I'm afraid I do not know much about spotify, nor have I ever actually received money from them as the service isn't available in Canada. I can't even visit the website or see artists or anything! Considering it was an independent release, I imagine the money from any streams we may have is disappearing into narnia or something, haha.

Hey, Jake - sorry for the slow response on this. You're welcome about your cd. :D :cheers: When is that new one coming out by the way?

Very surprised you don't have access to Spotify in Canada!! :shock: I just assumed that there was world-wide access since it's a Swedish company & on the Internet and all! Like I've said before several times, I find it quite revolutionary & amazing (for the consumer anyway, perhaps not so much for the artists :oops: - I looked Viathyn up just now - your cd is on there) - almost too good to be true for an old-school gal like myself. :P
Post Reply 44 posts