Post Reply 44 posts
CDs vs. Digital
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: CDs vs. Digital

by Memnoch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:06 pm

There's really no sense in comparing Spotify (and similar streaming services) and iTunes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you purchase a song on iTunes, you will have access to it even if you stopped using iTunes. Spotify is more like a radio station with only one listener. So, how much do small local radio stations pay artists per song played?
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:21 am

Laura wrote:
    Hey, Jake - sorry for the slow response on this. You're welcome about your cd. :D :cheers: When is that new one coming out by the way?

Very surprised you don't have access to Spotify in Canada!! :shock: I just assumed that there was world-wide access since it's a Swedish company & on the Internet and all! Like I've said before several times, I find it quite revolutionary & amazing (for the consumer anyway, perhaps not so much for the artists :oops: - I looked Viathyn up just now - your cd is on there) - almost too good to be true for an old-school gal like myself. :P

New one should be coming out by the end of the year? Hopefully?

We are about 3/5 done recording the vocals and have a few more orchestral bits to write and record, and a handful of solos, but everything else is finished, and assuming I can get it off to the mixer, it shouldn't be too too long after that that we will release.

Yeah the idea of spotify sounds cool, but I'll take your word for it that it's useful!
    Good to know our stuff is on there, either way.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 am

Memnoch wrote:There's really no sense in comparing Spotify (and similar streaming services) and iTunes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you purchase a song on iTunes, you will have access to it even if you stopped using iTunes. Spotify is more like a radio station with only one listener. So, how much do small local radio stations pay artists per song played?

Doesn't Spotify have an offline/download mode too though?
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:36 am

I think so, but you need to have a subscription to be able to play the offline songs.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL