Post Reply 48 posts
Will you feel awkward to headbanging in front of...
    ttiger
    Crewman

Will you feel awkward to headbanging in front of...

by ttiger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 am

3 adorables japaneses girls 14-16 years old doing metal?

BabyMetal
    http://babymetal.ca/videographie/

And yeah! they kill live!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Kgd--5Yhg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLD4iP_QAJc

Within temptation, Deathstars, BABYMETAL, Draconian, Diablo Swing Orchestra, OOmph, Megahertz, Dimmu Borgir, Eisbreche, Pain, HEAVENWOOD, HIM, Dope Stars Inc., Ram-Zet, After Forever, The Birthday Massacre, The 69 eyes, Turmion Kätilöt
    ttiger
    Crewman

Re: Will you feel awkward to headbanging in front of...

by ttiger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:46 am

I know, I know, now you cringe and your eye and brain dont work together, you want to hate them but it's almost impossible and you are more like awww, like a girls looking at a cute cat or puppy picture :p
    I know ive feel the same way the first time :p
    Last edited by ttiger on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Within temptation, Deathstars, BABYMETAL, Draconian, Diablo Swing Orchestra, OOmph, Megahertz, Dimmu Borgir, Eisbreche, Pain, HEAVENWOOD, HIM, Dope Stars Inc., Ram-Zet, After Forever, The Birthday Massacre, The 69 eyes, Turmion Kätilöt
  • NikiDT
    Oiler

by NikiDT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 am

I commend you on your guts to mention them here... I think they're hillarious... ;)

But I don't necessairily need to see them on the cruise...

I notice you have After Forever in your signature. They haven't been around for a while now, but if they wanted to get Revamp instead, I wouldn't mind.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:34 am

Wow was that horrendous!!!
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 am

Castroh wrote:Wow was that horrendous!!!

It is better than Leaves' Eyes though.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Sgt. B wrote:
    Castroh wrote:Wow was that horrendous!!!

It is better than Leaves' Eyes though.

You got a point there.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm

NikiDT wrote:I commend you on your guts to mention them here... I think they're hillarious... ;)

But I don't necessairily need to see them on the cruise...

I notice you have After Forever in your signature. They haven't been around for a while now, but if they wanted to get Revamp instead, I wouldn't mind.

After Forever réunion special for the cruise :)
    see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3613

I fall for Babymetal 1 mouth ago , now listen to them regulary in my truck, their music put a smile on my face :p
    Pyramus
    Crewman

by Pyramus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I think I'd like this more if they played their own instruments at least. Seems to be very commercialized music based on a gimmick. Yes, I like some of the rifts but it's hard to take seriously.
    2013 Survivor, 2014 booked.
    Apocalyptica - Tristania - Nemesea - Dark Tranquillity - Lacuna Coil - Arch Enemy
  • SatansWrath
    Chief Petty Officer

by SatansWrath » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 am

I would try to get them drunk and get them to bed... for their music.. I would rather throw myself in front of a train while quote Horst Wessel. I rather fucking ski on the beach in 40 + degress with proper winter attire. I rather get buried in molten shrapnels at the pillars of the earth below the halls of Amenti while playing icehockey with retarded penguins from Montreal.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Pissed of whishlist for the cruises:
    Turisas, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Dalriada, Arch Enemy, Abinchova, Northland, Sear Bliss, Watain, Slayer, Raubtier, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Running Wild
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:46 am

And where exactly is the metal in this?

I watched it for about 1 minute and then turned it off because it's an embarrasment for metal...... :roll:

Go play with barbie dolls please...
    www.metal-exposure.com
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 am

SatansWrath wrote:I would try to get them drunk and get them to bed... for their music.. I would rather throw myself in front of a train while quote Horst Wessel. I rather fucking ski on the beach in 40 + degress with proper winter attire. I rather get buried in molten shrapnels at the pillars of the earth below the halls of Amenti while playing icehockey with retarded penguins from Montreal.

Agreed...but would you rather listen to Justin Bieber? I think that one is a toss-up. Someone should start a thread..."I'd rather ............. than listen to Justin Bieber"
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:04 pm

SatansWrath wrote:I would try to get them drunk and get them to bed...l.

14 and 16 years old girls , you sure?
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Ingrid wrote:And where exactly is the metal in this?

I watched it for about 1 minute and then turned it off because it's an embarrasment for metal...... :roll:

Go play with barbie dolls please...

This is powermetal even better than dragonforce.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DqaTXqCN-Q

this is metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... K3NMZAUKGw
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:38 am

If it had anything to do with metal at all, I would rather call it 'popmetal' ....

Because this looks more like it could be an opening act for a Lady Gaga show......
    www.metal-exposure.com
  • Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:37 am

Ingrid wrote:If it had anything to do with metal at all, I would rather call it 'popmetal' ....

Because this looks more like it could be an opening act for a Lady Gaga show......

Gaga had Lady Starlight (she's basically a hard rock DJ) on her tour when I saw her a few years ago and she spun some decent metal... not too many people recognized the tunes (it was a Lady Gaga/Scissor Sisters show after all) :oops:. So, this would probably fit right in.
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    2017 - Likely my return :D .
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Ingrid wrote:If it had anything to do with metal at all, I would rather call it 'popmetal' ....

In fact, this is a mix of metal/japanese pop music (Jpop) and japanese teen idols. Cute japense girls doing their cute metal thing :p
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am

Well, it certainly appeals to the anime fan in me. I'm at work so I could only listen to it. I have a feeling the video would raise a few eyebrows from passing coworkers.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 am

meshuggah wrote:
    SatansWrath wrote:I would try to get them drunk and get them to bed... for their music.. I would rather throw myself in front of a train while quote Horst Wessel. I rather fucking ski on the beach in 40 + degress with proper winter attire. I rather get buried in molten shrapnels at the pillars of the earth below the halls of Amenti while playing icehockey with retarded penguins from Montreal.

Agreed...but would you rather listen to Justin Bieber? I think that one is a toss-up. Someone should start a thread..."I'd rather ............. than listen to Justin Bieber"

Eh, I'd rather just let the whole Justin Bieber thing die. There are worse things right? Never actually heard his music, so I can't say, but there's no way he could be worse than Kesha (or any pop artist who uses autotune).
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:22 am

I have to add, this title brought me back to the last cruise when I was listening to Tiamat for the first time and thinking about how hilarious it would be if everyone in the audience suddenly started moshing and headbanging as hard as they could.
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:27 am

They have a new video and a first album that took th e first place of itune metal chart this week.. just saying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 am

That was really bad :?
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:44 am

So much wrong in this :evil:

Never thought I'd see performers who flash the horns AND the cutesy, two-handed heart sign :?

Thought the heavy, non-vocal section in the middle had a semi-decent metal energy to it. Maybe they'll learn to sing in the next five years and become something remotely closer to respectable. One can only hope the current crap they're doing serves as gateway metal for some of those fans. Pretty convinced they're whole schtick is a formulaic package being strategized by adults who don't give a crap about real metal. Hopefully their long range plan is to have them mature into something better down the road but I doubt it.

If I remember to, I'll get Kyoko to give me a loose translation and post back here if the lyrics have anything remotely interesting to say. From the dance moves and such, my guess is it's about loving cake but trying not to eat too much :lol:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:06 pm

It's like an anime opening...

Which reminds me, I'd be ok if we had the band that perfoms Shingeki no Kyojin's openings onbroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ju9FJNHJc
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:21 pm

It's popular because of the gimmick.
    Music itself is atrocious.Even for J-Rock,J-Pop standards.
    Whats with bands putting all these dance music effects with guitar these days?
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:51 pm

for those who are not convince of their metal «side»
    just listen this incdredible song!

messugah mix with some eery female vocal
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dcsd5
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:43 pm

One man's incredible is another man's awful I suppose.

Rather than tear it apart bit by bit, I would simply ask that you listen to the music and the vocal and try to imagine the 2 tracks being composed or performed in the same room at the same time. Listen to how incredibly disconnected they are in terms of energy and how they only really meet at the same place musically at what I would call 'key marker' points of the track. Not saying her vocals are weak or awful or that the instrumental tracks are so bad (although totally not my cup of tea). She's actually got a decent voice for a young person and it's likely to get stronger over time. For me, it's just a very formulaic, contrived attempt to mash 2 things together for nothing more than sales and marketing purposes. It's Wal-Mart Metal if you will. There's no passion or purpose to it and, for me at least (like everything else I've written here), no connection to anything that reminds me of what makes metal great.

I'd love to see them put out something I could enjoy and support as I'm a fan of many things that come from Japan (especially my girlfriend), but I've yet to hear anything that isn't, at best a cute and humorous novelty and at worst an annoying train wreck of musical ideas.

• KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:01 pm

That's like a song Frankenstein or something. Bits and pieces that don't really mesh together
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Krys wrote:

Gaga had Lady Starlight (she's basically a hard rock DJ) on her tour when I saw her a few years ago and she spun some decent metal... not too many people recognized the tunes (it was a Lady Gaga/Scissor Sisters show after all) :oops:. So, this would probably fit right in.

That was AWESOME. I had like 4th row for that show in Tacoma... photos in album on my fb. :)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:17 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:One man's incredible is another man's awful I suppose.

Rather than tear it apart bit by bit, I would simply ask that you listen to the music and the vocal and try to imagine the 2 tracks being composed or performed in the same room at the same time. Listen to how incredibly disconnected they are in terms of energy and how they only really meet at the same place musically at what I would call 'key marker' points of the track. Not saying her vocals are weak or awful or that the instrumental tracks are so bad (although totally not my cup of tea). She's actually got a decent voice for a young person and it's likely to get stronger over time. For me, it's just a very formulaic, contrived attempt to mash 2 things together for nothing more than sales and marketing purposes. It's Wal-Mart Metal if you will. There's no passion or purpose to it and, for me at least (like everything else I've written here), no connection to anything that reminds me of what makes metal great.

I'd love to see them put out something I could enjoy and support as I'm a fan of many things that come from Japan (especially my girlfriend), but I've yet to hear anything that isn't, at best a cute and humorous novelty and at worst an annoying train wreck of musical ideas.

It's a matter of taste here. Personally i like the vocals, the music and the gimmick, i see them as a whole. i do not take care about the marketing side. I see the final product and i like it, the way they do the product is not important.

On the other hand, i see what you mean and i understand what you are saying. Im 45 year old and listen to metal for more then 30 years, but i try to pass over the marketing side and t the very end i listening to their music and those girls are putting a smile on my face instead of angry feeling. In fact this is the first cd ive listen on repeat and which i know every tracks for many years, so many years that i dont remember the years ive listening to a whole album on repeat, the last one was cradle of flith - midian , dream theater - scene form a memories, dimmu borgir Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. BABYETAL album have absolutely no fillers, all the album track are great and have their surprise. This is my guilty pleasure as you can see :p

I just can't imagine as 45 growth man and metalehad for many years, i'm defending right now a 14-16 year old Japanese kawaii metal band where the girls are dancing and singing about chocolate in all their cuteness glory . LOL :oops:

Live they absolutely kill any growth male power metal band lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQsayrmMoU
    Last edited by ttiger on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:54 am

Have to say the guitar is a lot better in that live track.
    As for live Japanese bands
    Concerto Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_7OVhdkP0
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 pm

ttiger wrote:It's a matter of taste here.

Agree completely and firmly believe that, if it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters. The energy at their shows looks somewhat insane so I hope ya get the chance to see them in a setting like that where they're headlining in front of so many crazy fans :headbanger:

ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:26 am

Metalwrath wrote:Have to say the guitar is a lot better in that live track.
    As for live Japanese bands
    Concerto Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_7OVhdkP0

Liv moon are pretty interesting too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34JucKDcoic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBmxbKa0hVo

im realy into DOLL$BOXX as well a perfect mixture of pop, metal, prog and funk mixed with high pitch vocal and screaming music with crazy musicanship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClqWiPRU2Co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2itu5KEvG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhuzMmO03o
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Looks like they are miming the vocals on that Second Liv Moon video.Could just be badly out of sync though but the vocals themselves don't sound live.
    And the first video well the music again is essentially metal for people who don't like metal.There's more pop/dance in the song than metal.
  • TheSalamanizer
    Crewman

by TheSalamanizer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 pm

I started digging Babymetal recently too. Might be just a fad, but I think they're fun. The musicians seem to actually be good, and the J-pop sections are super catchy. This could help metal be more accessible to others, no need for metal to be elitist.

This song is pretty f'in metal
    http://youtu.be/0uA_Ff4GQrY

And ttiger posted this song already, but I want to repeat how good this power metal song is
    http://youtu.be/nDqaTXqCN-Q
    2015 - cabin 9375
    krissyg89
    Wiper

by krissyg89 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:43 pm

>.> All I can think about when I see these girls is that Mr. Lordi would probably like to eat them.
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian, Sabaton, Alestorm, Van Canto, Nightwish, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Kamelot, Stratovarius
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 pm

As i suggest some mouth ago, they are everywhere now!

MikeB
    Petty Officer

by MikeB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:12 pm

I might see them at Heavy MTL in 2 weeks
    2015: Cabin 9527
    2016: Cabin 9219
    2017: Cabin 9675
    2018: Cabin 8215
    2019: Cabin 7449
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 am

I'm sorry, I want to join the bandwagon and talk about how they're fake metal... but these girls are fucking adorable (no pedo).
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:59 pm

CountArioch wrote:I'm sorry, I want to join the bandwagon and talk about how they're fake metal... but these girls are fucking adorable (no pedo).

The «pedo» argument is so ridiculous, the problem are men and women who see sex everywhere and who cannot think about a girls being «cute» without linking it to «sexy». I see them as girls who do their best to entertained the crowd and this band is different.. it's a mixture of many genre of music with pretty impressive dance moves. I think they are very original as a band and i enjoy their music very much.

I just don't understand why a 30-40 something guys or woman can have so much hate for 15 and 16 years old girls. The hate comment on Facebook are absolutely awful and are shame to all metal community. :shock:
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:28 am

The fact is, this band just plain fucking sucks. Everything about it is a complete corporate cash cow. Fuck babymetal.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
Post Reply 48 posts