Post Reply 52 posts
2013 AOTY and Year End Contenders
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

2013 AOTY and Year End Contenders

by vikingbitch » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 am

All right folks, we're on the final stretch of 2013 which means our end of year lists for new metal releases. For newbies on the forum, there's been a number of us who do our own top 20/10 list of new albums at the end of each year. Who are your top contenders for some of the best albums from this year?

My top contenders for this year are (at the top of my head):

Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
    Monolith Deathcult - Tetragramatton
    Svart Crown - Profane
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood
    Warlord - The Holy Empire
    Omnium Gatherum - Beyond
    Vreid - Welcome Farewell
    Kataklysm - Waiting for the End to Come
    Falkenbach - Asa
    Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
    Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
    Autopsy - Headless Ritual
    Thryfing - De Odeslosa
    Leprous - Coal
    Hail of Bullets - The Rommel Chronicles
    Haken - The Mountain
    Wolfheart - Winterborn
    Atlantean Kodex - White Goddess
    Argus - Beyond the Martyrs
    Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy
    Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
    Denouncement Pyre - Almighty Arcanum
    Hypocrisy - End of Disclosure
    Bolzer - Aura
    Imperium Dekadenz - Meadows of Nostalgia
    Scale the Summit - Migration
    Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Stallion - Mounting the World

Ones I still need more bonding time with:

Amorphis - Circle
    Ulcerate - Vermis
    Arsis - Unwelcome
    Sacriphyx - The Western Front
    Exhumed - Necrocracy
    Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
    Black Sabbath - 13
    Onslaught - VI
    Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
    My Dying Bride - The Manuscript
    Revocation - Revocation
    Tyr - Valkyria
    Inquisition- Obscure Verses for the Multiverse

Disappointments: Annihilator - Feast, Orphaned Land - All is One, Blood Tsunami - For Faen!

This has been an unbelievable year for releases, not an easy one to sift through with so many great albums that came out. There were a few points this year where I felt like I was drowning to keep up but I'm actually feeling better about that now that I look at this list. Lets help each other out. Who are your contenders?
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    viathyn
    Commander

Re: 2013 AOTY and Year End Contenders

by viathyn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:00 am

Top 3:
    Haken - The mountain
    Leprous - Coal
    Persefone - Spiritual Migration

Second 3:
    Scale the Summit - The Migration
    Witherscape - Inheritance
    DGM - Momentum

Honorable mention:
    Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 am

In order:

DGM
    Carcass
    Dead Asylum
    Leprous
    Ayreon
    Death Angel
    Witherscape
    Dark Tranquillity
    Omnium Gatherum
    Scale The Summit

Amorphis
    Revocation
    Onslaught
    Aether Realm
    Wolfheart
    Havok
    Kataklysm
    Divided Multitude
    Skeletonwitch
    Evile
    Haken
    Hypocrisy
    Arsis
    Phantom Limb
    Ashes Of Ares
    Stratovarius
    Holy Grail
    Intronaut
    Hatesphere
    Helloween
    Amon Amarth
    Ihsahn
    Persefone
    Black Sabbath
    myGRAIN
    Mystic Prophecy

Yet to hear:

Metal Church
    Soulfly
    Warbringer
    Barenaked Ladies
    Jon Oliva
    Artillery
    Rhapsody Of Fire
    Iron Mask

EPs:

Equilibrium
    Divinity
    Jeff Loomis
    Last edited by Stained Class on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 am

Hmmmm.....I had to think for a moment what albums I've listened to this year that actually came out this year....and I came up with this list. And to be honest, I really dig all of these very much, although my top favorites of the bunch are bolded and italicized and listed first. I may be missing a few, but these came to mind off the top of my head.

Top Favorites of 2013 so far.... :D

Daft Punk: Random Access Memories
    Haken: The Mountain
    Kvelertak: Meir
    Riverside: Shrine of New Generation Slaves
    Satyricon: Satyricon
    Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
    Tesseract: Altered State

Other 2013 releases that I enjoy very much...
    Caladan Brood: Echoes of Battle (thanks Marlo ;) )
    Depeche Mode: Delta Machine
    Ghost: Infestissumam
    How to Destroy Angels: Welcome Oblivion
    Nine Inch Nails: Hesitation Marks
    The Safety Fire: Mouth of Swords
    Watain: Wild Hunt

Still to listen to: (in some cases have heard a song or two, but that’s all)
    Amon Amarth: Deceiver of the Gods
    Anneke van Giersbergen: Drive
    Carcass: Surgical Steel (just cuz y'all talk about it so much!)
    David Bowie: The Next Day
    Finntroll: Blodsvept
    John Fogerty: Wrote a Song for Everyone
    KMFDM: Kunst
    Hail of Bullets: new one (same reason as Carcass)
    Tyr: Valkyria
    Wardruna: Runaljod – Yggdrasil
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 am

1. Tesseract - Altered State
    2. Ghost - Infestissumam
    3. Carcass - Surgical Steel
    4. Amorphis - Circle
    5. Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
    6. Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
    7. Kvelertak - Meir
    8. The Ocean - Pelagial
    9. Soilwork - The Living Infinite
    10. Omnium Gatherum - Beyond

It's tough to do, but I always like to keep my list @ 10. The only album that may make this is Protest the Hero - Volition Need to listen to it more. Apologies to Battlecross and Huntress who had strong sophomore releases. Bodom and Skeletonwitch were good. Very interested in checking out Haken + Safety Fire.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:29 am

Nice to see Laura having the album that I consider AOTY. Kinda surprised it was not on Marlo's list.

70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Not necescarily top three, but three excellent albums from the top of my head:
    Lingua Mortis Orchestra - LMO
    ReVamp - Wild Card
    Tarja - Colours in the Dark
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Speedy wrote:Not necescarily top three, but three excellent albums from the top of my head:
    Lingua Mortis Orchestra - LMO
    ReVamp - Wild Card
    Tarja - Colours in the Dark

Agreed. Will do my entire list later, but those three will definitely be right up there as contenders.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks Marlo for this thread - it encouraged me to listen to several great songs this afternoon. It also made me curious to know what I wrote for the Best of 2012 thread (buried on page 8 or so).... Here's what I had for 2012 - haha - similar intro to what I wrote for 2013...and I still feel the same that it is hard for me to rank albums because they are all so different from one another (those on both my 2012 & 2013 lists). One big difference from last year's post is that the only album I actually bought was the Satyricon, all the rest I stream(ed) from Spotify.

Laura wrote:Hmmm....this a challenging question, because first I had to ask myself what, if any, albums did I buy this past year that were actually released this year? Without checking my iTunes purchasing history, I came up with this short list:

Dead Can Dance: Anastasis
    Eluveitie: Helvetios
    Enslaved: RIITIIR
    Ne Obliviscaris: Portal of I (thanks to Drinkmoxie)
    Royal Thunder: Cvi (thanks to Evildan)
    Storm Corrosion (Wilson/Akerfeldt) : Storm Corrosion
    Wintersun: Time 1

So, are they "the best?" I dunno, yet I've enjoyed all very much for different reasons. Can't really rank them per se since they are very different from one another genre-wise...although I'm leaning toward the ones by DCD, Enslaved, & Eluveitie as my top three. There are several other 2012 releases I am interested in that I haven't listened to yet....but I'm in no hurry. Rush's Clockwork Angels is a perfect example
    ..... yadda, yadda
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Top Three
    TIMO TOLKKI'S AVALON - The Land of New Hope. Power metal perfection.
    POWERWOLF - Preachers of the Night. Nothing original, but damn catchy
    AMARANTHE - The Nexus. Incredible album

Honourable Mentions
    LORD - Digital Lies. Aussie metal represent!
    TYR - Valkyria
    REVAMP - Wild Card. SOOOO much better than the debut.
    TARJA - Colours in the Dark. Her best solo album by FAR.
    LINGUA MORTIS ORCHESTRA. DID not(!!) expect this to blow me away as much as it has!!
    QUEENSRYCHE - holy crap!! Just wish the CD was longer!!
    DEATH DEALER - solid debut.
    DARK TRANQUILLITY - Construct.
    CIVIL WAR - The Killer Angels. Voice can be a little grating, but still an enjoyable CD.

Disappointments
    ORPHANED LAND - All Is One. Not a bad album (title track is incredible), just really heavy going and hard to listen to all in one sitting.
    TURISAS 2013 - weird album
    ASHES OF ARES - okay, but not Barlow-era Iced-Earth okay.

NON-METAL
    JOHN FOGERTY - Wrote a song for everyone. Such chilled music, such an amazing array of musicians, and oooh that voice.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm the only person who really, really liked Avantasia's 'The Mystery of Time'. . .

That might be #1 for me. New Tyr is pretty catchy, but nothing spectacular.
    I'll have to go back and see what else I've picked up this year. I haven't heard the new Ayreon yet, but very much looking forward to it.

I've been pimping Vandroya's 'One' pretty hard this whole year (released in January 2013 in the US) but since it was released in Europe late in December 2012, I suppose it doesn't really count.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Ecliptica wrote:I'm the only person who really, really liked Avantasia's 'The Mystery of Time'. . .

That might be #1 for me. New Tyr is pretty catchy, but nothing spectacular.
    I'll have to go back and see what else I've picked up this year. I haven't heard the new Ayreon yet, but very much looking forward to it.

I've been pimping Vandroya's 'One' pretty hard this whole year (released in January 2013 in the US) but since it was released in Europe late in December 2012, I suppose it doesn't really count.

Yeah - same with Vandroya :)

And Avantasia? So forgettable I forgot it came out this year :|
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:53 pm

way too many to list.....

Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Amon Amarth- Deciever of the Gods
    Inqusition- Obscure Verses for the Muiltiverse
    Watain- The Wild Hunt
    Tribulation- Formulas of Death
    Queensryche- Queensryche
    Seth- The Howling Spirit
    Autopsy- The Headless Ritual
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 pm

These ones *may* make my list, but I haven't listened to 'em yet.

LIVING SACRIFICE - Ghost Thief
    LEAVES EYES - Symphonies of the Night
    PLACE VENDOME - Thunder in the Distance
    THAUROROD - Anteinferno
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:44 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:Nice to see Laura having the album that I consider AOTY. Kinda surprised it was not on Marlo's list.

Well to my defense, I made that list before 7am yesterday, hungover and on my way out for work? :lol:

But yeah, for shame on me for forgetting Amon Amarth although to be honest I don't think it will make my top twenty. I only did like two spins on it, just didn't have anything new that I was looking for - felt recycled to me. And there's too many other albums that I have clocked MUCH more time with that I've enjoyed more. I'll give it more of a chance later.

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I'm going to refine my list again with the ones I forgot that were thrown out (Joey's list was the most depressing for me, good grief). You're a smart little tadpole for having that excel spreadsheet to keep track this year. Batting down an order for mine will probably be around two weeks of debate. And yay Caladan Brood for Laaaaura! :D

Updated:

Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
    Monolith Deathcult - Tetragramatton
    Svart Crown - Profane
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood
    Warlord - The Holy Empire
    Omnium Gatherum - Beyond
    Vreid - Welcome Farewell
    Kataklysm - Waiting for the End to Come
    Falkenbach - Asa
    Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
    Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
    Autopsy - Headless Ritual
    Thryfing - De Odeslosa
    Leprous - Coal
    Hail of Bullets - The Rommel Chronicles
    Haken - The Mountain
    Wolfheart - Winterborn
    Atlantean Kodex - White Goddess
    Argus - Beyond the Martyrs
    Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
    Denouncement Pyre - Almighty Arcanum
    Hypocrisy - End of Disclosure
    Bolzer - Aura
    Imperium Dekadenz - Meadows of Nostalgia
    Scale the Summit - Migration
    Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Witherscape - The Inheritance

Ones I still need more bonding time with:

Amorphis - Circle
    Ulcerate - Vermis
    Arsis - Unwelcome
    Sacriphyx - The Western Front
    Exhumed - Necrocracy
    Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
    Black Sabbath - 13
    Onslaught - VI
    Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
    My Dying Bride - The Manuscript
    Revocation - Revocation
    Tyr - Valkyria
    Inquisition- Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
    Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
    Finntroll - Blodsvept
    The Ocean - Pelagial
    Stallion - Mounting the World
    Grave - Morbid Ascent
    Havok - Unnatural Selection
    Artillery - Legions (not yet released)
    Metal Church - Generation Nothing

Disappointments: Annihilator - Feast, Orphaned Land - All is One, Blood Tsunami - For Faen!
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:05 am

vikingbitch wrote:But yeah, for shame on me for forgetting Amon Amarth although to be honest I don't think it will make my top twenty. I only did like two spins on it, just didn't have anything new that I was looking for - felt recycled to me.

It's funny, I actually felt the opposite about this one and Surtur Rising. Surtur was the one to me that felt recycled and this one was surprisngly not Amon Amarthy. To me.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 am

Some have already been listed and others haven't but here are the tunes that received a very regular spin from me so far this year.

Anciients - Heart of Oak
    WolfHeart - Winterborn
    Ulcerate - Vermis
    Fleshgod Apocalypse - Labyrinth
    Kalmah - Seventh Swamphony
    Omnium Gatherum - Beyond
    Insomnium - Ephemermal
    Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
    Revocation - Revocation
    Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    The Monolith Deathcult - Tetragrammaton
    Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign

by CaptOblivious » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am

Stained Class wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:But yeah, for shame on me for forgetting Amon Amarth although to be honest I don't think it will make my top twenty. I only did like two spins on it, just didn't have anything new that I was looking for - felt recycled to me.

It's funny, I actually felt the opposite about this one and Surtur Rising. Surtur was the one to me that felt recycled and this one was surprisngly not Amon Amarthy. To me.

Yeah Marlo i think you should give Amon a better chance than 2 spins it has been on loop for me since June when it came out. right now the only albums i know the placement of are Amon Amarth and Kataklysm and they share an odd mix of 1st and 2nd spots.
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 pm

WHAT? :shock: No Random Access Memories (Daft Punk) on anyone's list but mine? (yeah, I know this is a metal forum, but still... :P ) Some of the best disco dance songs of the 21st century, well, on second thought - ever!

Daft Punk: Get Lucky http://youtu.be/h5EofwRzit0

Daft Punk: Lose Yourself to Dance (official) http://youtu.be/NF-kLy44Hls

Daft Punk: Lose Yourself to Dance (fun dance clips from Soul Train, Saturday Night Fever & so on)
    http://youtu.be/Z_Sf0gi-mGI
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Laura wrote:

Sorry, but I actually really really hate this song :oops:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Haha - well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one (and I'm sure you're not alone!). I think it's fantastic (definitely up there with many of the tracks from Saturday Night Fever. ;) ) I love the songs featuring Nile Rodgers (formerly of Chic and many other groups - such a cool guy & sound - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Rodgers ...the whole album is great though. Anyway, don't mean to derail this thread with too much Daft Punk/disco/pop talk - maybe I'll continue my blather on Off-course somewhere. :P
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Stained Class wrote:

Same here. I was bored quite quickly with Surtur Rising but really like Deceiver of the Gods.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Laura wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Haha - well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one (and I'm sure you're not alone!). I think it's fantastic (definitely up there with many of the tracks from Saturday Night Fever. ;) ) I love the songs featuring Nile Rodgers (formerly of Chic and many other groups - such a cool guy & sound - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Rodgers ...the whole album is great though. Anyway, don't mean to derail this thread with too much Daft Punk/disco/pop talk - maybe I'll continue my blather on Off-course somewhere. :P

I've got the album and enjoy it. However, "get lucky" is on EVERYWHERE and I really, really hate that song.

The rest of the album is better.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 am

This many post and still no Motorhead Love hear ... for shame , for shame :cheers: :beerhorns:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 am

The new Fates warning is awesome

Wow Marlo, I am just the opposite as well, its probably in my top three as AOTY
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:43 am

Something old - Trouble - The Distortion Field
    Something new - Gatekeeper - Prophecy and Judgement

That is all :shred:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Really enjoying the new TesseracT "Altered States" and the new Ayreon. I'm so far behind on metal this year I'm not even sure if half the new stuff ive been listening to is from 2013. This will be corrected over the holidays. Jake and Joey have been slowly getting me up to speed. :bangers:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Couple I missed off my list:

GLORYHAMMER - fun, dumb, but very catchy
    HEAVATAR - some dud songs, but enjoyable
    JON OLIVA - the best 'Savatage' album in years
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 pm

I am sooooooo far behind on albums I can't make a proper list for the year. :bitch:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Too early... just like Xmas stuff
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Satyricon - S/T
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse

On the lighter side of metal:
    In Solitude - Sister
    I need more listens but think with time could be there. Much better than their previous albums. Very dark and atmospheric like earlier Danzig. The cover of Cortex - Jesus I Betong was pretty cool too and wins much obscure points.
    Ghost - Infestissumam
    Great pop song writing. Very cool they covered Roky Erickson recently.

Doubt it make the tops but do look forward to listening to Deicide and Living Sacrifice ( I love the evil stuff but the jesus bros know how to write some metal - nice to see another forumer mention them :cheers: ).
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy

Man this was another snooze fest for me. What's going on?!?! Guess Theogonia took a lot of juice outta Sakis. Really needs to get back to the riffs and cut the ambient chanty stuff for my taste.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Would by impulse agree with Stained Class buttttt watching Stephen Colbert dance to it with "Walter White" gave some good laughs.

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess

Nothing else comes close to it ;)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    Laura wrote:

Would by impulse agree with Stained Class buttttt watching Stephen Colbert dance to it with "Walter White" gave some good laughs.

That Stephen Colbert bit is one of the funniest things I've seen in recent time. He is an awesome dancer!! (scores major points with me!)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess

Nothing else comes close to it ;)

hmmm....don't know this at all - will check out.

btw - nice to see you around here again dude. :cheers: You thinking of ever going to this in my hometown? http://www.ragnarokkrmetal.com/details.html Seems right up your alley.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 am

I'm supposed to be going to that.I paid 60 dollars or something to the kickstarter fund and a selected the ticket choice.I'll annoy the promoter the next time i see him online and ask him what the deal with the tickets is XD

Although i'm not sure i can make it due to lack of funds.Was out of work for ages due to not being able to walk properly.Did something to my foot.Not sure what.Then i was out of work a few other times from stress depression etc.
    I'd planned to go to that festival and then head to LA for a while then fly from LA.To Holland for Very Eavy festival.Then fly to Germany and hang around fora while and go to KIT festival.Maybe it happens still.Who knows? :lol:
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am

Amorphis – Circle
    Ayreon – Theory of Everything
    Amon Amarth – Deceiver of the Gods
    Scale the Summit – The Migration
    Ihsahn – Das Seelenbrechen
    Dream Theater – Self Titled
    Finntroll – Blodsvept
    Ghost – Infestissumam
    Hypocrisy – End of Disclosure
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 am

Metalwrath wrote:I'm supposed to be going to that.I paid 60 dollars or something to the kickstarter fund and a selected the ticket choice.I'll annoy the promoter the next time i see him online and ask him what the deal with the tickets is XD

Although i'm not sure i can make it due to lack of funds.Was out of work for ages due to not being able to walk properly.Did something to my foot.Not sure what.Then i was out of work a few other times from stress depression etc.
    I'd planned to go to that festival and then head to LA for a while then fly from LA.To Holland for Very Eavy festival.Then fly to Germany and hang around fora while and go to KIT festival.Maybe it happens still.Who knows? :lol:

^^ Sounds like a wild & crazy fun itinerary (and very Metalwrath-ish ;) :cheers: )...would be great if you pulled it off and could visit Chicago & attend Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse. I'm not huge into the kind of bands they book, but I had bought a ticket for this past year's fest due to so many 70K & other local friends going. I actually was really getting into Oz & a few of the other bands booked for the night I was gonna go...but I bailed kinda last minute cuz I just had too much going on around that time & something had to give. :beerwink: Haha - I don't think Bentz! is ever gonna let me live that down. :lol:

Anyway....good to see you around here again, and hope you're on the mend from some of the things you mentioned. :heavydrink:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:54 am

Yeah if you don't like the bands at that festival you probably won't like the bands at the other 2 festivals i'm going to :p
    http://www.keep-it-true.de/
    http://www.veryeavy.nl/
Post Reply 52 posts