Post Reply 68 posts
Take the 3 New Bands (to you) Challenge
    Laura
    Commander

Take the 3 New Bands (to you) Challenge

by Laura » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:29 am

I realized the other day when people were talking about King Diamond on the Bridge Forum that there are still some major/well-known metal bands that I've never listened to before...including King Diamond. :shock: :P

I don't know about the rest of you, but it is extremely rare for me to eventually really dig a band that I didn't care for much or just thought was ok upon first listen. In other words, if a band doesn't really grab me from the very beginning, the odds are it probably *never* will....none of this "eventually grow on me" for the most part. I went through in my head about 50 or so of my very favorite bands, and I was crazy about all of them pretty much immediately...kinda like a one-two-punch.

So, I decided to pick three (new to me) bands and give a look/listen (at the, say, top 5-6 most-viewed videos on youtube) and they are:
    King Diamond
    Manowar
    Pantera

My immediate gut reaction?
    Pantera is the clear winner of the three....like them very, very, very much. :beerbang: :beerbang:
    Manowar and King Diamond are just ok (but don't hate them). Really not digging King Diamond's falsetto.

I will listen to more by all three but that's where I stand right now.

So, I may continue doing this (maybe at least two sets of three bands a month, or something like that), because it's a fun way to expose myself to new (to me) bands. I like the idea of doing three together for the comparison factor. Anyone else care to join?
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Take the 3 New Bands (to you) Challenge

by Captain Alex » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:09 am

I started to listen to unknown bands for me since Im attending to 70k every year and attend yo this forum.. had discvered many bands I really like now..

Sabaton
    Triosphere
    Xandria

Are some examples
    Iced Earth-Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Syrens Call-Epica-Satyricon-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-LuciferianLightOrchestra
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:10 am

I started to listen to unknown bands for me since Im attending to 70k every year and attend yo this forum.. had discvered many bands I really like now..

Sabaton
    Triosphere
    Xandria

Are some examples
    Iced Earth-Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Syrens Call-Epica-Satyricon-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-LuciferianLightOrchestra
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:35 am

This forum has been great for exposure to new bands, as well as the cruise itself of course. One fairly recent example for me is that I finally listened to Bolt Thrower back in spring after they had been mentioned here and requested countless times. My motivation is that they were here in Chicago for two nights in early June and so many forumites had said they are a don't miss. My immediate verdict on them (based on listening to War Master) was big win, plus they are a great live band. (Although as much as I like them, wouldn't put them in my top A list).
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 am

Another three *completely* new to me bands I've listened to recently (primarily due to them all being the Prog Nation cruise) are:
    Haken
    The Safety Fire
    Periphery

My initial gut reaction of listening to 5-6 songs from each was completely confirmed after listening to all of their discographies (which number only 2-3 albums each because their newish bands) - Haken is across the board outstanding (A range), The Safety Fire is good-excellent (B range) with *some* amazing songs, and not so keen at all on Periphery (although will watch a set anyway).

My next *to listen to* list of never listened to bands is (in my view) - a really random group. :P
    Black Veil Brides (keep seeing their name & pictures in some of the music mags where I work)
    Kalmah (mentioned on this forum what seems like a million times)
    Victory (never heard of this band until they were announced for 70K 2014)
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:14 am

I think for me, most of what I like hits immediately. It is not always the case. Katatonia was something that had to grow on me. Also, it seems every time they release an album the first listen is okay-blah, and usually after about 4 times over I really enjoy it.
    King Diamond I think doesn't fall in to this instant love for most people either. The vocals are kind of an acquired taste. It is for me all about the stories and live show. It took some development to feel how the vocals fit in to the scheme of things. In a similar matter, I wasn't a huge Enslaved fan until seeing them in 2000 (I think).
    Live shows can change things quite a bit for me. I've never been a fan of Soilwork, but after seeing them a bit on BTH I have to admit I enjoy the antics of the bass player and probably wouldn't avoid seeing them play a set again.

I'll try and listen to three of the bands I know little or nothing of on this cruise and see what happens I guess.
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Only 2 new ones for me lately.

Moonsorrow
    Metsatoll

I have found concerts are a great place to see new bands. I know a lot of people that skip opening acts but that's how I found Turisas back when they came through with Dragonforce. Metsatoll was this way as well and even Ghost when they opened for Opeth.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:57 pm

I'll do 4 since there's 4 bands that are new to me on the current lineup

DRI
    Satyricon
    The Haunted
    Victory

I'll post later when I've listened to them all.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:30 pm

ok
    DRI - Not a huge fan of Crossover Thrash, but it sounds good for what it is, bands like this are usually good live so I'll check out a set.
    Satyricon - Not crazy about Black metal or whatever their new stuff is (gothic?) but there's definitely good stuff out there. Again it sounds good quality for what it is and I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing them, so 1 set!
    The Haunted - It's like...At The Gates mixed with a hint of punk music? Not really sure what to think of it, I'll definitely watch a set because I'm a big fan of the individual members.
    Victory - The opposite of the above, I normally really like stuff like this but these guys are kinda mediocre for the genre.

So the winner out of that is...Satyricon I guess?
    Last edited by Stained Class on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:08 am

There are some bands which I discovered over lastfm for festivals which I visited:

The Old Dead Tree
    End of Green
    Ahab
    Nile
    Dark Tranquillity
    Carcass
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Chris wrote:I think for me, most of what I like hits immediately. It is not always the case. Katatonia was something that had to grow on me. Also, it seems every time they release an album the first listen is okay-blah, and usually after about 4 times over I really enjoy it.

Agreed. Plus you need to be in the mood. Whereas most metal albums I put on get me pretty pumped and always like that high I either have to be already feeling pretty crappy or in a mood to chill to put on the more depressive stuff. I still need to listen to their 2 most recent (proper release and the lighter re-do). I did order the 10 yr. Viva Emptiness CD recently though. Was the album that got me into them.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Gave each band 10 minutes on their new albums. These are the ones I've noticed some hype around / saw in the recent top 40 of Decibel.

Deafheaven (#9 in Decibel)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU
    It is meh. More of a atmospheric kinda thing like Alcest. Has the "Shoe gazer" vibe to it. Not really my go to for thingsl. My bet is there are a lot of black frame glasses at these shows. :ugeek: buzzword: Transcends, ethereal, post-genre

Corrections House (#38 in Decibel)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrr4uXDihM
    Much much more interesting and dark. Angry. Very odd mix of several genres. Sounds broken and industrial like Broken/TDS - NIN era / Killing Joke / Neurosis. I like it though sounds more like sound scape to a movie / game but I dig that kinda atmosphere.

Subrosa (#4 in Decibel)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wenNqTd5hU
    Very moody. Definitely seems like a album that needs more listens to get the feel. Too slow for me right now. Might be able to latch in better after a couple drinks.

Winner: Corrections House - Sounds the most angry and pissed off. All seem not to care much for direct hitting riffs though.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:56 am

^^^ interesting....never heard of any of those bands.

Well, my next three new (to me) bands to listen to were going to be:
    Black Veil Brides
    Victory
    Kalmah
    but I'm swapping out Kalmah (who I haven't listened to yet) for French black metal band Belenos who I just learned about & listened to in the past few days.

First things first...

BLACK VEIL BRIDES (from Hollywood, California)
    This band is a trip. As I've mentioned elsewhere already, I was intrigued to listen to them strictly because of pictures I'd seen in some music magazines at work - their over the top make-up and costumes, i.e. their "look."

Re: their music, I agree with what Mike (soundcurve) said on the listening thread that it certainly doesn't "suck," but it's nothing special either (I believe he compared them to the likes of Trivium & AFI - 2 bands I've never listened to btw). To my ears, it's fairly decent hard rock/metal, but nothing to get super excited about. The 22-year old singer Andy Sixx has a *good* strong voice in my view - although nothing unusual or special except for some great killer & intense screams here & there. On the other hand, I give their marketing, packaging, videos and overall image an A+++ - for among other reasons, they are obviously winning big in that department - they are a very "popular" band and no doubt largely due to the image/marketing factor. And you know what? I don't see anything wrong with that. Good for them, their management & their fan base. That's Show Biz!! I know a lot of people (including a few on this forum from time to time) like to diss or rag on "popular" stuff like this or anything that shamelessly panders to (in this case) a teenage audience (case in point - one video shows boy being bullied in high school and another depicts the classic "teen girl meets boy, girl's dad hates boy, girl & boy say screw you and ride off into the sunset anyway.")

Will I listen to this band's albums on Spotify? nope....too much other music I'm far more interested in listening to. Would I go see this band? Nope. (partly because I suspect I would feel *really* old :lol: at such a gig.) On the other hand, I may watch their videos a few more times - those are pretty entertaining. ;)

On to VICTORY....
    I never heard of this band until they were announced for the 2014 cruise, so I was curious to hear them. Described by wiki as a German heavy metal/hard rock band that was mostly popular in the 1980s.

So, I watched three or four of their videos (I assume the videos date mainly from that 80s era). Here's one of them:
    Never Satisfied http://youtu.be/CVY88LBsTbw
    Hmm....sounds something like early Aerosmith to me - old school, meat and potatoes, hard rock/heavy metal, complete with the whole rock 'n roll swagger thing goin' on. I have no complaints with a band like this really, just nothing special that jumps out at me at this point in my life. Would I listen to this band's albums on Spotify? (if they are on there - haven't checked) Like I said for Black Veil Brides, probably not - too many other bands I'd rather listen to, including btw - 2 of my favorite nostalgia "teen" albums - Toys in the Attic & Rocks by Aerosmith.

Would I see Victory live? If I was on the 2014 70K, I certainly would not *avoid* them, but they would not be a priority. However, I kinda felt that way about Pretty Maids back in 2012, and I ended up really loving that gig on the pool deck.

And, finally BELENOS - black (celtic, pagan) metal band from Brittany, France
    I never heard of this band until a local metal friend named Pearl posted about them on Facebook this week. In her post, she said that she was most looking forward to seeing the band Taake (a favorite of mine as well, btw) at the recent festival Messes des Morts in Montreal http://www.messedesmorts.net/ and it was Belenos that ended up being one of her favorite acts. She linked this album:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYca-Lj3Yz8

In short, this is absolutely stunning. At the risk of sounding completely corny and ridiculous :P , this kind of music speaks to my soul, i.e. on a deep level the same way bands like Agalloch, Negura Bunget, Taake, Wardruna, Ulver, some Blut aus Nord, some Enslaved, and what I've heard so far of Drudkh, do (I'm probably forgetting some, but those are the biggies that popped in my head). Haha, I don't even know if I have a soul and even know exactly what I mean by that, but if I have one, this music talks to it. :P :cool:

As far as the questions will I listen to more from this band, and would I see them live? Absolutely. Therefore the clear winner in this round of three new to me bands is Belenos.
    Last edited by Laura on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:06 am

Next up on my three new (to me) band challenge are:
    1. Kalmah (because they've been mentioned on these forums a gazillion times and I'm curious)
    2. Broken Hope (because they've been recently mentioned and I'm curious)
    3. Beardfish (Swedish prog rock band on the Prog Nation cruise - the last cruise band of those I was not familiar with on the line-up that I've yet to check out)

I've actually already listened to the entire recent albums by the first two, but will reserve comment until I listen to Beardfish. I have a pretty good hunch who is going to the "winner" here though.
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 am

I've slacked a bit with this. I did check out Victory. They are as you said, a very run of the mill 80's glam band. I'd much rather listen to/see Motley Crue or Poison, and I don't want to see either. I could see how they are appealing to some, but I want nothing to do with it.
    Kalmah is something I am pretty unfamiliar with, seen the name around before visiting the forum and it seems to be the name I see the most here.
    They're pretty decent, somewhere between old Children of Bodom and Hypocrisy. Not likely to my favorite thing in the world but they seem pretty fun. I could do without the forgettable wanky melodies that appear sporadically, but that is not a very big problem and it might be something I could understand more with listening more.
    Gloryhammer - I tend to stray away from most power metal, so most of it is fairly new to me. Pretty typical in many ways but well done. I could see liking this quite a bit after a few beers. Which is the best way to enjoy power metal, or much else, but especially power metal.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 am

Rating Pantera over Manowar and King Diamond is just bewildering.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:26 am

Metalwrath wrote:Rating Pantera over Manowar and King Diamond is just bewildering.

:lol: I was expecting you to weigh in at some point.
    And yes, initial gut reaction after listening to all three, Pantera is my clear winner (most appealing music to my ears & brain). However, I do plan on listening to some full albums by both KD & Manowar - in particular Abigail by KD since people seem to fuss a lot about that one. Which is your fave Manowar by the way?

Chris - are you saying you're going to avoid/skip Victory on the boat? As I said, I'd see 'em if I was on the boat and there was no conflict with something I'd rather see. That "Never Satisfied" song is quite a good hard rock tune in my view. I mentioned Aerosmith in that post - it's not like they are exactly like them - but the same old school hard rock vibe is there which I enjoy, if nothing more than for nostalgia sake.

Victory: Never Satisfied (video from 1980's I assume) http://youtu.be/CVY88LBsTbw

Aerosmith: Rats in the Cellar (live 1978) http://youtu.be/eQSZ5xwo3Jc

I could kick myself I never saw Aerosmith back in their prime since I was quite a big fan then. I really have zero interest in seeing them now (unless they happened to be at a festival I was at).
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

I hope more people will contribute to this thread because I really love reading other people's opinions of bands - and especially in this case if the band is new to you and you give a gut reaction so to speak after listening to them cold for the first time.

Going back to what Metalwrath said - that he found it bewildering how someone (me) could prefer Pantera over King Diamond & Manowar (two of his favorites I believe) after hearing all three cold for the first time. Well, I just listened to some of the "top tracks" according to Spotify for all three bands again, and yep - Pantera definitely comes out on top - I instantly loved songs like Walk, Cowboys from Hell, and Cemetery Gates - love the badass, down & dirty, rock 'n roll bravado of these songs - really clicks with me.** KD strikes me as a bit too put-on (over the top, but not in a good way) and I really dislike his falsetto, nor do I think it will ever grow on me. Re: Manowar, I "get" the epic metal concept complete with heroic anthems like Battle Hymn, but I'd rather listen to something like the albums Battle Metal & The Varangian Way by Turisas (2 fave albums) than Manowar.

But, of course, that's just me. ;)

**and I know exactly why because it harkens back to loving bands like Aerosmith, Van Halen, UFO, Scorpions, AC/DC, Foghat and *especially* Ted Nugent (their pre-1980 albums in all cases) at a very young, impressionable age....woohoo! and I just discovered Pantera covered Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever - perfect! Haha - I think I'm gonna go to my grave still loving this music (and of course many other kinds as well).
    :beerbang:

Haha - I'm laughing at myself for coming up with the phrase "badass, down & dirty, rock 'n roll bravado" to describe groups like Pantera & Ted Nugent. :mrgreen: Yep, that's it - perfect description in my view.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Sign of the hammer is probably my favorite Manowar album.
    Out of curiosity which King Diamond songs did you listen to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJH0eBtnbcs
    This song is a classic.Everyone knows it XD
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I feel bad for you Laura, Ted Nugent is awful!
    But to each his/her own...
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Chris wrote:I feel bad for you Laura, Ted Nugent is awful!
    But to each his/her own...

:bitch: :bitch: :bitch:
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:51 am

There are some elements there that might be okay. There is just a lot of other guitarist in that era that are better, in my opinion. Then there is that whole writing songs about abusing women that doesn't strike me as something to take lightly.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Chris wrote:There are some elements there that might be okay. There is just a lot of other guitarist in that era that are better, in my opinion. Then there is that whole writing songs about abusing women that doesn't strike me as something to take lightly.

Well, I have always thought of Ted Nugent as a great guitar player (and showman as well for that matter) - - with a great deal of charisma, pizazz, & style - have no idea where he ranks in any kind of a top guitar player list (will have to look that up later!). When I was in high school (75-79), my favorite guitar players were (in this order): STEVE HOWE, Jimmy Page, Eddie van Halen, Ted Nugent, and Eric Clapton.

Your last sentence confuses me. What song(s) are you referring to? The only one I can think of at this moment that you might be referring to is Stranglehold (which btw is my favorite Nugent song and one of my very favorite hard rock songs ever), but I *always* thought of it metaphorically in this way: the idea of a guy - or could be a gal I suppose - who has such a tremendous amount of desirability on all levels, sex appeal, & overall animal magnetism, that they are highly desired by the girlfriend, wanna-be girlfriend, wife, or whatever the case may be, so much so, that they have that person in a proverbial "stranglehold" - but in a positive way - not in any kind of negative way, abusive way, needy way, or even a "50 Shades of Grey" way :lol: ,no, no, no - not any of that. In other words, if someone said I had them "in a stranglehold," I'd consider that a compliment, in the way in which I've interpreted it. To quote Paris Hilton, "that's hot!" :P And for the record, I came up with that very personal interpetation of that song as a teenager and it has stuck. And to boot, that long version of Stranglehold in the linked video below is mostly instrumental and the feeling I was trying to convey in words is well expressed by his guitar playing in my view - Slowride by Foghat operates in a similar way. Looking at the Stranglehold lyrics right now, I suppose one could take them literally (as in someone choking someone or some such thing) but I just never did.

And since I'm in the mood to watch this particular live performance again, I shall link it again while I'm at it. There are few things musically that I love more than this - I loved it when I heard it for the first time nearly 40 years ago and I still do. Absolutely love his guitar playing in this. Haha, similar to me stating how much I dislike that one Manowar album on the Manowar thread, I suspect there are people here who really dislike this. :P
    Ted Nugent: Stranglehold (live 1976): http://youtu.be/4kBIhOn_9CM
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, pretty much stranglehold. I don't know how that is anything other than a song about a man strangling a woman, but maybe it's not. Also, who he is, is not terribly appealing. I am not so well versed in him or his music (as I basically don't care about him or his music), but he seems to be hypocritical in some ways...not genuine.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am

Chris wrote:Yeah, pretty much stranglehold. I don't know how that is anything other than a song about a man strangling a woman, but maybe it's not. Also, who he is, is not terribly appealing. I am not so well versed in him or his music (as I basically don't care about him or his music), but he seems to be hypocritical in some ways...not genuine.

Thanks for responding Chris. I honestly never thought that song was about a man literally strangling (killing?) a woman, and I am certain that none of my teenage friends and fellow Nugent fans in the 70s ever thought it was about that either....nor do I think that was Ted's intent (although I could be wrong - never read up about it - ooooh - another research project! :P )

As far as "who" he is or what he has become (I should say) since his 70s heydey when he was most popular musically - he is one of the BIGGEST DICKS on the planet no doubt. In fact, I think he has completely lost his mind in terms of his NRA and other rants & activism. I don't recall him doing any of that during the period of 1975-1978 (when I was a big fan and when the first 4 albums came out - the only ones I'm familiar with: Ted Nugent from 1975, Free For All from 1976, Cat Scratch Fever from 1977, and Weekend Warriors from 1978).

I was starting to lose interest in Nugent and that kind of "hard rock" music once I went to college in fall 1979 - there was simply too much *other* cool new music being born, evolving & flourishing at that time for me to wanna hold on too tightly anymore to my Nugent, Zeppelin and other (now) classic rock bands - and I didn't follow or buy his releases after the 70s. I did, however, see him around 1980 and he was awesome - very similar to that RockPalast gig from the Stranglehold video. Then, flash forward to the summer of 2012 :shock: :P (shit, my life has flown by), and my husband and I saw him with Styx & REO Speedwagon. My husband is exactly my age within a few months, and although I didn't know him in high school, he liked pretty much all the same music I did (I swear - *EVERY* Chicagoland suburban teen did. :lol: )...so, that was a fun "nostalgia gig" for both of us. Nugent did rant a small bit that night, but I was able to ignore that for the most part and enjoy his hits like Stranglehold! :P My husband was not as forgiving and his few brief in-between song rants kinda ruined it for him.

Ah well.... I suspect I will not go out of my way to ever see Nugent again, but one thing for sure - I will always have fond memories of listening to his music as a teenager....perhaps in the same way Mindgrind and cowboy described their "youth" experience with Manowar on the Manowar thread.
    :shred:
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:59 am

I am really to young to have experienced much of his music in the time it was made, at least at a more comprehensive age. It seems there is always some connection to music in our youth that is hard to let go. Manowar might similar for me. I think I bought my first album of theirs (Triumph of Steel) when I was 13....Bought it mainly for the album art. Listened to it religiously, mostly the 30ish minute epic "Achilles Agony and Ecstasy". It ended up being great drinking music for later years that unified my friends and I.

More on topic: I need something new...I guess I'll give Xandria a more legitimate shot at being heard rather then my judgement from the first 30 seconds of music I found when they were announced.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 pm

^^^ I totally agree with your statement that "there is always some connection to music in our youth." And especially if one's youth was positive and there is an extremely positive connection emotionally with that music, whether it is remembering great friends, first loves (firsts of any kind really), wild & crazy fun experiences, and so on. And then, when you hear that music, it instantly brings it all back. But, of course, that awesome new music/experience connection can continue as time goes on. This is why I always enjoy learning about/hearing *new* (to me) music and having new music experiences as well.

From what you said of your age when you bought that Manowar album, we're many years apart in age & era so to speak, so I think that has at least *some* factor in my "disconnect" with Manowar & your disconnect with Nugent. Of course, there are a gazillion other factors re why someone likes this or that.

But, I ramble once again... :P
    And woohoo! I'm going to try to be BRIEF :shock: re my "gut reaction" on my latest trio of new "to me bands." The following yes/no answers are based on listening to the most recent album by each of the three bands (listened to all three in their entirety)

Do I want to listen to more music by this band?
    1. Broken Hope: no
    2, Kalmah: yes, but not a big priority right now
    3. Beardfish: yes, because I'm seeing them on the Prog cruise, plus I like them very much.

Would I like to see this band live?
    1. Broken Hope: no
    2. Kalmah: maybe - if the gig was convenient like at a festival
    3. Beardfish: yes! And I will be seeing them on the Prog cruise

So, the clear winner this round for me is Swedish prog rock band Beardfish!
    Rhiannon
    Oiler

by Rhiannon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 pm

I've been pretty bad this past year, and have stuck with my comfort zone. But in my defense there have been so many great albums that have come out by my favorites, so I haven't needed to go exploring as much. But of course I want to research the 70k list to see who I must go to, and who is meant for food/nap time. ;) These four bands I just listened to a few songs, I didn't even look them up first. That way I wouldn't go in with any preconceived notions.

Leaves Eyes and Xandria: I'm lumping these two together. I'd never heard of them before, but then again I'm really not a fan of symphonic metal. I'll be skipping their shows, not because their terrible, but because I just don't enjoy this genre of metal.

SepticFlesh: They're meh. I by no means would go out and buy an album, but they don't make me want to claw my eardrums out. So, I won't go out of my way to catch a show.

Satyricon: I'm actually going to listen to some more of their songs, because there were some huge differences in the ones I listened to. I'm not sure if they changed their style over time from albums to album? Overall, I liked what I heard and will most likely catch a set.

So the definite winner was Satyricon. The irony that I unintentionally chose 3 symphonic metal bands kills me...but that's why I don't look them up first. Otherwise I probably would have ignored them all together.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey, thanks for posting here Rhiannon! And by the way, did you know there is another (quite famous in 70K circles :P ) 70K Rhiannon? - also known as Rhia, Rhiawiz and Wizardbeast. She hasn't posted here in awhile, but she's awesome and be sure to meet her in January.

I am very familiar with two of the bands you posted about.

Satyricon is one of my TOP favorite black metal bands and would probably make a top 25-30 bands list (of my favorites from all music genres). As you assumed, they have definitely changed their style over the course of their existence. If you like what you're hearing, I'd definitely recommend listening to everything. I've seen them three times, but only in the past five years, so each live performance was more focused on their newer material from 2002 forward (which I prefer btw). Love all of these albums and especially the newest one:
    2002 Volcano
    2006 Now, Diabolical
    2008 The Age of Nero
    2013 Satyricon
    I've written about them a great deal already on this forum, so I'll leave it at that for now - but, in short: outstanding band in my view. :beerhorns:

I *like* Leaves' Eyes (and especially singer Liv Kristine) very much and am familiar with all of the recordings, but I'm crazy about one album in particular Lovelorn from 2004. It includes some of the prettiest, loveliest songs I've ever heard (in yellow below), I love them in the same way I love certain songs by artists like Sarah McLachan, Dido, and Enya. I really don't consider this a metal album by the way....at least not how I think of what metal is, or at least what it means to me.

1. "Norwegian Lovesong" 3:43
    2. "Tale of the Sea Maid" 3:48
    3. "Ocean's Way" 3:32
    4. "Lovelorn" 4:11
    5. "The Dream" 4:59
    6. "Secret" 4:31
    7. "For Amelie" 3:38
    8. "Temptation" 3:44
    9. "Into Your Light" 5:33
    10. "Return to Life"

Oh gosh, there are some amazing songs on other albums as well such as Irish Rain and their cover of Scarborough Fair from the album Njord. Well, amazing to me and that side of me which is extremely sentimental and loves songs like these....especially the love songs. I understand that many people don't care for this kind of thing and/or find it very boring, too sappy, or some such thing. :beerwink:
    Rhiannon
    Oiler

by Rhiannon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey Laura!

Haha no, I didn't know there was another Rhiannon! That's great, I've only ever met one other before. I look forward to meeting the infamous Rhiannon next month hopefully. :) As well as the rest of you!

Thanks for listing those Satyricon albums. I'll definitely check them out, as they did peak my interest. And it's always good to have a starting point, especially when they do change their style haha. There's been times when I've decided I didn't like a band based on one album, just to fall in love with another.

I'll try out the Leaves' Eyes album you listed as well. As I said, I'm generally not a symphonic fan. But you make them sound quite lovely, and sometimes I do get in the mood for romantic songs. Not often, but it happens. :) I'm usually more of a classic rock/melodeath/irish punk girl.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Mmmm Satyr :lol:

Can't go wrong with Satyricon. Smart dude and knows songs need to be catchy regardless of genre execution (much like Falco above). The Black metal gold for him was "Nemesis Divina". A good starting point if you want some simple good catchy is "Now, Diabolical" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYyqytFNP4

They are like the AC/DC or Danzig I - IV from black metal. Strip down, to the point, no fluff or shit hidden in excessive reverb. I love it but too simple for some. Highly recommend seeing them.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

^^^ ha - good description of Satyricon and picture of Falco :P - he's looking a bit like Douglas McCarthy there. http://youtu.be/bqA5rp9WMPY (just saw him again last September :cool: )

Rhiannon - I listened to a bunch of Leaves' Eyes last night (it had been a while) and I stand by what I said, but, boy, oh boy - is that some schmaltzy stuff! :P (in a good way though, at least for me because as I said, I like that kind of thing when in the right mood).

I mentioned that I don't think the album Lovelorn by LE is a "metal" album, but I'm going to expand that comment to say that I don't think of the band itself in any way, shape, or form, as a "metal" band. My saying this is by no means a "put-down" of the band, since I appreciate & like/love tons & tons of non-metal bands.

Some people have called this type of band "weenie metal" or "girlie metal" (waves at Memnoch Ville)... but in a way, I think that does them a dis-service, because the description just doesn't fit or make sense to me - haha - it would almost be like saying - "oh, those BeeGees or that Grateful Dead or Lawrence Welk :lol: - that's just a bunch of weenie metal they play, and I don't like weenie metal!"

Who knows - maybe the members of LE & many of their fans think they're super-duper metal - but I just don't see/hear/think of them that way.
    /rant about the terms "weenie metal" & "girlie metal" :bitch: :lol:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Sign of the hammer is probably my favorite Manowar album.

Thanks for your answer, Mr. Wrath. :heavydrink: I listened to that Sign of the Hammer since you mentioned it, and I liked it a tad better than the other one that Cowboy Dallas mentioned on the Manowar thread as an album that "changed his life" at age 17 - Kings of Metal. But woah, I'm having some kind of major disconnect with this band - just really don't care for them. Oddly, perhaps - same with King Diamond - I listened to all of Abigail, and that was a challenge since I really didn't care for that either. And, yes - I think that Welcome Home song/video was one of the first I listened to/watched. I just have a major disconnect with KD as well....don't relate to/understand the appeal. *shrugs*
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 am

Laura,

I can't get over the fact that you just listened to Pantera for like the first time. That blows my mind. I see absolutely no purpose to start listening to Manowar other than........ nope can't even think of a reason :) I'll see you at Amon Amarth or Moonspell in Feb (not sure which one I'm going to) Fucking listen to The Ocean.

Stained,

I can give you a full rundown of The Haunted if you like. I could probably write their Wikipedia page.............
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:42 am

Laura wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:Sign of the hammer is probably my favorite Manowar album.

Thanks for your answer, Mr. Wrath. :heavydrink: I listened to that Sign of the Hammer since you mentioned it, and I liked it a tad better than the other one that Cowboy Dallas mentioned on the Manowar thread as an album that "changed his life" at age 17 - Kings of Metal. But woah, I'm having some kind of major disconnect with this band - just really don't care for them. Oddly, perhaps - same with King Diamond - I listened to all of Abigail, and that was a challenge since I really didn't care for that either. And, yes - I think that Welcome Home song/video was one of the first I listened to/watched. I just have a major disconnect with KD as well....don't relate to/understand the appeal. *shrugs*

Well i also love the album Kings of metal too.Was probably also one of the first albums of theirs i listened to.When Paul showed me the band for the first time he gave me 3 albums.Battle Hymns,Louder than hell and Kings of metal.
    Out of those 3 Louder than hell was the worst.still a good album.But there's deffintly some filler crap in there.
    My favorite song from Manowar would be 'the Crown and the ring'
    I'm really not happy about the band reerecording any of their older albums.It's not the same guitarist.And Ross the Bosses sound was very integral to those albums.For me the older albums are perfect the way they were.Generally a lot of hate flys around about the band because of the image and the lyrics.And glad you took the time to listen to them and give on honest opinion based on the music.A lot of people don't try to listen to them and just say they are shit.
    Also with women there is a love/hate relationship with the song Pleasure Slave.Some women love the song.but most completly despise the song.

I think King Diamond a lot of people get put off by his extremly high falsetto vocals.The songs themselves though are some of the best musicianship you'll hear out there.Did you know Micky Dee drummed for them before he joined Motorhead?
    All his albums are generally like telling a horror story.To some extent it's better to listen to a whole album through as opposed to listening to seperate songs.The lyrics are really great.For me personally the falsetto vocals are perfect for the musical imagery he is tryign to create when telling these stories.

Pantera.Hmm well Lets see.When i was younger they would have been of the first metal bands i would have been exposed to.A lot of people listening to this and Roots era Sepultura,Korn Slipknot,Fear factory etc.Looking back people at that time period had a really really horrible taste in metal.Of the Pantera albums i listened to back then i think Cowboys from hell was the only one i ever bought.it stood out straight away.Especially the song cemetary gates.I listened to some of their other albums too.I kinda stopped listening to them completly as i slowly started discovering metal bands for myself.Realised there was much better albums out there.But that Cemtary gates was kind of a medium in the world of metal albums.

At a later stage i went back to listen to them.Back when i first listened to them nobody even knew of the pre 'Cowboys from hell' stuff.And tryign to get your hands on it was like gold dust.I still found that Cowboys from hell was a decent album but nothing more than that.I still really dig the album 'power metal' though.And i consider 'Cowboys from hell ' the bridge between the cheesy metal and the band once again completly changing image.
    They started depicting themselves as morons both lyrically and physically.I don't know.Maybe it was also a change of the times in America with metal.Where it became more of an attitude that trying to act like a thug was cool.
    they to me depict what went wrong with that metal generation.It was like suddenly they rememberd they were rednecks so did their best to act as much like one as is generally perceived by the social media.
    Their music suffered big time because of it too..
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am

Metalwrath wrote:They started depicting themselves as morons both lyrically and physically.I don't know.Maybe it was also a change of the times in America with metal.Where it became more of an attitude that trying to act like a thug was cool.
    they to me depict what went wrong with that metal generation.It was like suddenly they rememberd they were rednecks so did their best to act as much like one as is generally perceived by the social media.

This I think is very true, and a bit part for me not liking the majority of my country's metal bands. Even with some less popular genres of metal, there seems to be a tendency to dumbing things down while turning upwards a wildly aggressive front. Aggressive music is usually a good thing, but it tends to lose it's direction or purpose when it becomes just about trying to be the ultimate alpha-male, then just seems mentally ill.
    Rhiannon
    Oiler

by Rhiannon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Laura wrote:
    Who knows - maybe the members of LE & many of their fans think they're super-duper metal - but I just don't see/hear/think of them that way.
    /rant about the terms "weenie metal" & "girlie metal" :bitch: :lol:

Ahhhh don't even get me started on the terms "girlie" and "weenie" metal. They drive me batshit crazy! I don't think LE is actual metal, but if that's how they want to be classified, more power to them. There's a wide range of genres, and I honestly couldn't care haha. I just get irritated when someone tries to diss a genre because it doesn't fit their idea of metal. Plus I'm a feminist, so using "girlie" as an insult is just wrong. It's a bitchin' compliment in my mind. ;) Haha, now my rant is over!

Chris wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:They started depicting themselves as morons both lyrically and physically.I don't know.Maybe it was also a change of the times in America with metal.Where it became more of an attitude that trying to act like a thug was cool.

This I think is very true, and a bit part for me not liking the majority of my country's metal bands. Even with some less popular genres of metal, there seems to be a tendency to dumbing things down while turning upwards a wildly aggressive front. Aggressive music is usually a good thing, but it tends to lose it's direction or purpose when it becomes just about trying to be the ultimate alpha-male, then just seems mentally ill.

I have to agree with you, there's honestly not many American bands that I'm fond of. Overall, it seems to be about showmanship and sales. Until I read your post, I didn't realize just how few American bands I do listen to.

So because of that, I just tried out two more bands. Both American. Iced Earth, that I've heard tons about, but am ashamed that I've never listened to. And then I have a friend who is constantly telling me that I need to check out In This Moment, because apparently they are the best thing ever and the lead singer has amazing vocals, deep lyrics, etc. I really want to stress how much this band was chatted up to me, because that is why I chose to listen to them.

Iced Earth: Honestly, they clicked with me immediately. I love them, and am going to be listening to them for the rest of the day. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to actually listen to them, but I'm enjoying the fact I have a ton of new material to go through. :headbanger:

In this Moment: What. The. Fuck. I need to have a talk with my friend, as this was shit. Have you guys heard them? I was seriously expecting something amazing, and there is not one thing I have found to say that is complimentary. I will never get that time back, either. :shock:
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Another American metal band worth checking out is Nevermore. (if you haven't already)/ They played the first cruise and have since broken up (I think) Dead Heart in a Dead World is the "stand out" record for me, although I like all of thier albums that one has alot more catchy tunes. Dreaming in Neon Black is also a great album.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    Rhiannon
    Oiler

by Rhiannon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I am a fan of Nevermore. :) I think they did break up a couple of years ago, although I don't know why. I did get to see Jeff Loomis this past April when he was touring with Soilwork though, and that was awesome. He's brutal with the guitar.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Rhiannon wrote:I am a fan of Nevermore. :) I think they did break up a couple of years ago, although I don't know why. I did get to see Jeff Loomis this past April when he was touring with Soilwork though, and that was awesome. He's brutal with the guitar.

Nevermore is one of my all time favs! I was crushed when they broke up because I was supposed to seem them twice a month later with Sepultura and with Symphony X. They broke up because of Warrel's drinking problem, it created some friction between the band and they broke up mid tour. Loomis' solo stuff is great and his new instrumental band with Keith Merrow called Conquering Dystopia is going to be incredible I think. Van's in Ashes Of Ares now which is pretty awesome. We're still waiting on that new Sanctuary album with Warrel and Jim, not sure what's taking that so long. They played 2 new songs on Barge over a year ago!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
Post Reply 68 posts