Post Reply 28 posts Page 1 of 1
Wacken 2014
    Stained Class
    Commander

Wacken 2014

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 am

I know a few of us are going there. There's been some very interesting additions.

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2014/main-b ... ling-2014/

I'm excited to see so many bands I've never seen before! Anyone heard the bands announced today? Lacrimas Profundere, Nachtgeschrei, Firkin, Omnia, Dunkelschön.

Also, relevant:

:lol:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

Re: Wacken 2014

by mfrap » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:06 am

Omnia is a pretty sweet folk band. They aren't really metal, more traditional folk. Very awesome live shows complete with fairies and satyrs running around twirling things. Would be pretty cool to see them live, though id prefer in a more discreet intimate venue then Wacken haha.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 am

mfrap wrote:Omnia is a pretty sweet folk band. They aren't really metal, more traditional folk. Very awesome live shows complete with fairies and satyrs running around twirling things. Would be pretty cool to see them live, though id prefer in a more discreet intimate venue then Wacken haha.

I think they'll wind up on one of the smaller stages, which is pretty good for that. The 4th stage which is a tent is probably 1000 people when packed full. Saw Triosphere, Skeletonwitch and Ghost on that stage a couple years ago and it was definitely a good atmosphere!

Edit: It may have changed and become a bigger "venue" since then, that was 2.5 years ago now.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:11 am

yeah, the fourth stage is bigger now - finally!

I don't know any of those bands - some of them might even end up playing on the additional stage in the Wackinger area...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:14 am

last_candle wrote:yeah, the fourth stage is bigger now - finally!

I don't know any of those bands - some of them might even end up playing on the additional stage in the Wackinger area...

Yeah I don't think I saw any bands on that stage. I missed out on Onslaught there I think. It'd probably be a much better venue for lighter folky stuff.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:43 am

wow only 7 bands I would want to see on that bill.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Not very impressed about the line up so far. But then again with Hellfest line up I guess it will be hard to impress this year ;)
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Omnia is very good. But yeah, totally folk, not metal at all.

I like the line-up, but I think it could improve BY ADDING BLIND GUARDIAN!!!!
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Holy vacuum, Batman, the lineup so far sucks. A great year I picked for a Wacken visit.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:54 pm

X-Thor wrote:Omnia is very good. But yeah, totally folk, not metal at all.

I like the line-up, but I think it could improve BY ADDING BLIND GUARDIAN!!!!

Not a lot of lineups would get worse by adding them :lol:

Honestly though, I count 32 bands that I'm genuinely excited to see, 14 of which I've never seen before. I think it's a good lineup.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Lineup seems exceptionally poor for next year.Especially considering the amount they are charging now for the tickets.
    That been said i would love to see that Hammerfall show.
    They are playing the entire 'Glory to the brave' album.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:27 pm

They claim they are still going to announce some big bands. We'll see if they get anyone good.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I'll probably go. Like every year :)
    www.metal-exposure.com
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Ingrid wrote:I'll probably go. Like every year :)

Sweet :heavydrink: .....i have a hunch that if I was your age and a European, I'd be saying the same. But, *sighs* :P I have officially retired from Wacken. Loved it, loved it, loved it - the two times I went, but no need or plan to ever return. I am content with great memories to last a lifetime - including my current profile pic fron WOA 2010 - will always remember what a great time I was having at that particular moment. :D

If I was going in 2014 - the only huge draw would be Emperor who I adore and have never seen. Another would be The Ocean who I just started listening to & loving (in the last week or so!) but who I hope will tour the States someday. As for the rest of the line-up...there is a lot of gold there including some personal favorites BEHEMOTH & Amon Amarth - but I've seen both several times, so feeling a bit jaded when I look at this & just about any other metal fest line-up lately.

#feelingmetalfestjaded #onthehuntforexcitingnewmusic&assortedotherexperiences #arollingstonegathersnomoss
    #timeisalwaysrunningout
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:45 pm

Forgot to say that I am going. Got tickets within the first 48 hours (then they sold out) and a t-shirt :)
    Hoping for nice weather, last time I was there it was horrible!
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 am

Laura wrote:

Sweet :heavydrink: .....i have a hunch that if I was your age and a European, I'd be saying the same. But, *sighs* :P I have officially retired from Wacken. Loved it, loved it, loved it - the two times I went, but no need or plan to ever return. I am content with great memories to last a lifetime - including my current profile pic fron WOA 2010 - will always remember what a great time I was having at that particular moment. :D

If I was going in 2014 - the only huge draw would be Emperor who I adore and have never seen. Another would be The Ocean who I just started listening to & loving (in the last week or so!) but who I hope will tour the States someday. As for the rest of the line-up...there is a lot of gold there including some personal favorites BEHEMOTH & Amon Amarth - but I've seen both several times, so feeling a bit jaded when I look at this & just about any other metal fest line-up lately.

#feelingmetalfestjaded #onthehuntforexcitingnewmusic&assortedotherexperiences #arollingstonegathersnomoss
    #timeisalwaysrunningout

"if I was your age"

Haha you make me feel like a teenager again :P

2014 will be my 9th Wacken (almost 10.. hurray!). But to be honest, I can understand where you're coming from.
    I kinda agree when people say that Wacken has grown too big and commercial. We have the privilage to run our own metal website, and therefor we can camp on the press camping, which is still pretty cosy, and gives a total different atmosphere to it all, which I think is really lovely :)

Though I must say, they've booked a lot of acts I really like so far. Escpecially can't wait to see Vreid play some Windir songs (have seen this before!!! ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    www.metal-exposure.com
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 am

Nightmare announced, another good one! This lineup is actually good, although perhaps "smaller" than in previous years. I don't care how big a band is, only how good they are. So many people are like :bitch: Iron Maiden :bitch: Black Sabbath :bitch: Metallica :bitch:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 am

Stained Class wrote:Nightmare announced, another good one!...

YES! looking forward to them at HF.

:cheers:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:54 am

Stained Class wrote:Nightmare announced, another good one! This lineup is actually good, although perhaps "smaller" than in previous years. I don't care how big a band is, only how good they are. So many people are like :bitch: Iron Maiden :bitch: Black Sabbath :bitch: Metallica :bitch:

I don't know if I'd consider it "smaller" necessarily - at least not from my perspective. As I said in the earlier post, I think this is pretty huge...

This DVD from 2006 is one of my favorites and no doubt in my mind that the 2014 will be awesome as well.

Re your Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Metallica comment - I'm going to go into full-blown non-polite personal honesty mode here (what I don't do often, but as I have recently about Motorhead and some others I really don't care for) - I could hardly have less interest in any band than those three (in other words, don't give a rat's ass :twisted: :lol: )

oooh....that felt good. :P
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah totally, but Emperor isn't as "big" as like Slayer, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, etc. Not saying they're worse, but normally Wacken just gets a bunch of big bands that they know will sell tickets.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:32 am

Emma wrote:Forgot to say that I am going. Got tickets within the first 48 hours (then they sold out) and a t-shirt :)
    Hoping for nice weather, last time I was there it was horrible!

Nice!

There's a bunch of us cruisers going to both Wacken and Metaldays. So hopefully we'll see you there. :bangers:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Ingrid wrote:
    Laura wrote:

#timeisalwaysrunningout

"if I was your age"

Haha you make me feel like a teenager again :P

2014 will be my 9th Wacken (almost 10.. hurray!). But to be honest, I can understand where you're coming from.
    I kinda agree when people say that Wacken has grown too big and commercial. We have the privilage to run our own metal website, and therefor we can camp on the press camping, which is still pretty cosy, and gives a total different atmosphere to it all, which I think is really lovely :)

Though I must say, they've booked a lot of acts I really like so far. Escpecially can't wait to see Vreid play some Windir songs (have seen this before!!! ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, you're exactly half my age, so yep - that seems extraordinarily young from my perspective. Funny - a good friend of mine who is in her mid-60s (who sadly was recently diagnosed with cancer she may not survive) recently remarked to me...(from her perspective)...oh, Laura - you're still a teenager. ;) ....so, yeah - it is all a matter of perspective. Just promise me one thing, Ingrid - don't be one of those people (especially women) who get all freaked out when they turn 30. I overheard a group of women the other day talking about turning 30 and you woulda thought their world was ending. :roll: :P

Cool you get to do the special press camping arrangement at Wacken & all....sounds like a lot of fun. I'm all for fun & awesome experiences (feel like I could write a book on that) - whatever one's definition is of that / whatever that may be. :3drunks:

P.S. Have seen & enjoy Vreid, but am not familiar with Windir. :oops:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Stained Class wrote:Yeah totally, but Emperor isn't as "big" as like Slayer, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, etc. Not saying they're worse, but normally Wacken just gets a bunch of big bands that they know will sell tickets.

For me i don't care if bands are big or not but it was more to the point that they are taking about 180 euro off people.And with the current lineup i see no reason why they had to hike the festival price by an extra 20 euro.
    As for Emperor they are well known enough and only do reunions every now and again for the money.So it's seen as a bigger announcment than it really is to people.They are also getting paid a hell of a lot more money than Slayer got for playing Wacken ;)
    Just rmember bands like Emperor only get back together when the money is good enough
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Yeah I suppose that's true. The rarity of seeing them makes it a "bigger" announcement. And yeah I agree 100% with not caring how big a band is.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 am

Laura wrote:Well, you're exactly half my age, so yep - that seems extraordinarily young from my perspective. Funny - a good friend of mine who is in her mid-60s (who sadly was recently diagnosed with cancer she may not survive) recently remarked to me...(from her perspective)...oh, Laura - you're still a teenager. ;) ....so, yeah - it is all a matter of perspective. Just promise me one thing, Ingrid - don't be one of those people (especially women) who get all freaked out when they turn 30. I overheard a group of women the other day talking about turning 30 and you woulda thought their world was ending. :roll: :P

Cool you get to do the special press camping arrangement at Wacken & all....sounds like a lot of fun. I'm all for fun & awesome experiences (feel like I could write a book on that) - whatever one's definition is of that / whatever that may be. :3drunks:

P.S. Have seen & enjoy Vreid, but am not familiar with Windir. :oops:

Well ok, good reason then. I won't flip when I turn 30. Honestly, I don't even feel like 26 (which I currently am :P ) yet.

I guess I can already write a book myself as well hahaha :D
    I've been to soooooo many festivals already, I used to live for it, last years it got a bit calmer (though I usually still visit about 4 or 5 a year).
    Wacken was my very first 'real' festival and will Always be a little 'special' because of that :)

About Windir, if you like Vreid you really should check it out.
    If it wasn't for Windir, there wouldn't be any Vreid.
    I'm too lazy to type it, so I will quote Wikipedia for you:

Windir (Primal Warrior in English) was a black metal band from Sogndal, Norway. The band combined black metal with folk music and mythology. The band was formed in 1994 and released its debut album in 1997. Windir was a project of vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Terje "Valfar" Bakken.

Windir produced four albums in their almost ten years of existence, each more complex and successful than the last. The band broke up when Valfar died of hypothermia. Many of Windir's lyrics are written in Sognamål.
    On January 14, 2004, Terje "Valfar" Bakken went to his family's cabin at Fagereggi, Norway, by foot. On January 17, his body was found at Reppastølen in the Sogndal valley. He died from hypothermia.[1] He was buried on January 27 at Stedje Church in Norway. In March 2004, Windir officially disbanded.

A compilation album containing Windir outtakes and B-sides, Valfar, ein Windir, was released in 2004 as a tribute to Valfar. On September 3, 2004, in Oslo, Windir's remaining members performed their last concert to go back to their roots and keep base with what they thought was real.[1] Enslaved, Finntroll, Notodden All Stars, Weh, E-Head and Mindgrinder were the guest bands. Three bands would be formed by some of the remaining members of Windir; Vreid, Mistur and Cor Scorpii.

Here's a song that I really like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WexR6sCqs

A few years ago, as a tribute to Valfar, Vreid did a small tour on which Valfar his brother came a long, to sing some Windir songs, it was really great, but back then I just randomly listened to Windir every now and then. Now I'm more really into their music, so I can't wait to hear the songs being played live again!!
    www.metal-exposure.com
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:13 am

First GREAT band for next year Wacken ,maybe I don't burn my ticket

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHojIjC0JXw
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 am

Really dude? Of all the bands there that's the one that you're excited for? To each their own but I thought you were only into super heavy brvtal shit :lol:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah, what the hell Grumpy?
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL