Post Reply 40 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm a huge ________ fan. Their best album is:
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

I'm a huge ________ fan. Their best album is:

by acidbasement » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Let's help people who aren't familiar with our favourite bands. Some of them have extensive back-catalogues and it's tough to know where to start with your pre-cruise listening if you're not a fan already.

I'll go first.

Orden Ogan - Ravenhead.
    Last edited by acidbasement on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

Re: I'm a huge ________ fan. Their best album is:

by Jotunheimr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Haggard is great. Check out Eppur Si Muove
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Orden Ogan - Easton Hope :heavydrink:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
    Last edited by Azazel101 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe

BUT they changed clean vocalists, so the old songs sound a bit different live now.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm a huge fan of DEATH ANGEL. My recommended album would be Relentless Retribution. I'm not sure if this is the general consensus but that how i see it. Death Angel initially released 3 albums and broke up in the early 90s like many thrashers did. They finally reunited in the 2000s. Starting in 2010 during relentless retribution they had their best line up. Their current sound started at that point.

Their debut album The Ultra-Violence would be interesting to check out as well. Its kind of rough but fairly impressive for a bunch of teenagers at the time.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Shadow Son
    Petty Officer

by Shadow Son » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm assuming you meant for this thread to be specifically about bands booked for the cruise?

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
    Kalmah - 12 Gauge
    Orphaned Land - Mabool
    Testament - The Formation Of Damnation
    2015: Survivor: Cabin 9321
    2016: Survivor: Cabin 8455
    2017:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2018: Survivor: Cabin 1688
    2019:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2020: ABANDONED SHIP!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:52 pm

I'll go ahead and recommend albums that are the best ones to start with if you're not familiar with the band.

Draconian - Sovran
    Their first album with the new vocalist, so the best one to start. IMO the best album of 2015.

Nile - Ithyphallic
    A bit slower and easier to approach than most their work. Not my favourite album from them (Annihilation of the Wicked or Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka would probably be my picks).

Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
    Again, not my personal favourite, but probably a bit easier one to start with.

Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa
    Their magnum opus.

Xandria - Sacrificium
    The first album with their current singer Dianne and a nice step back towards their original style.

Amaranthe - Massive Addictive
    Pop metal at its best. This is a love it or hate it kinda album. The band is releasing their new album in October, but for now this is the place to start.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    bernabeit
    Petty Officer

by bernabeit » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 am

Kalmah - The Black Waltz (my favourite, first in their catalogue with the heavy synths. I friggin love 'The Groan of Wind')

Testament - The Gathering (blend of new and old Testament)

Therion - Secret of the Runes (just beautifully written!)

Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence (one of the best thrash albums ever!!)
    Wishlist: Hypocrisy Be’lakor Necrot Borknagar Blood Red Throne Earth Rot Decapitated Gatecreeper Jungle Rot Sylosis Wolfheart Within Temptation Wintersun Battelore
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:28 am

bernabeit wrote:
    Testament - The Gathering (blend of new and old Testament)

Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence (one of the best thrash albums ever!!)

I so approve this message
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:37 am

Arch Enemy
    - Doomsday Machine (2005)
    - Khaos Legions (2011)

Therion
    - Vovin (1998) - "The Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah"
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 am

Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:50 am

Second for Testament - The Gathering, awesome album
    Unleashed - Hammer Battalion
    Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
  • torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 am

Testament - The Gathering
    Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood
    :headbanger:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am

torpedo20 wrote:Testament - The Gathering
    Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood
    :headbanger:

Nice choices!
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • Masterbas
    Petty Officer

by Masterbas » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Omnium Gatherum - Beyond, even tho their last album (Gray Heavens) was a masterpiece, Beyond will stay one of the best album I've heard in my life.

Equilibrium - Rekreatur, I haven't been a fan for that long, but this album got to me, their melodies are incredible.

Powerglove - Metal Combat for the Mortal Man, this album as some of the most interesting cover of games and tv shows. Hell all their albums are worth checking out if your even only slightly nostalgic :).
    2017 - Cabin 9580
    2018 - Cabin 9611
    2019 - Cabin 9675
    2020 - Cabin 8233
    2023 - Cabin 7669
    2024 - Cabin 8659

3.Inches.of.Blood./.Aeternam./.Aether.Realm./.Alestorm./.Alien.Weaponry./.Allegaeon./.Amon.Amarth./.Amorphis./.An.Abstract.Illusion./.Augury./.Avantasia./.Avatar./.Barren.Earth./.Battlecross./.Before.The.Dawn./.Be'lakor./.Beyond.Creation./.Blackguard./.Blind.Guardian./.Cruachan./.Dark.Lunacy./.Dark.Funeral./.Dark.Oath./.Dark.Tranquillity./.Death.Angel./.Devin.Townsend./.Die.Apokalyptischen.Reiter./.Dimmu.Borgir./.Draconian./.Dragonforce./.Drakum./.Dreamtale./.Eluveitie./.Ensiferum./.Epica./.Equilibrium./.Euphoreon./.Evocation./.Exmortus./.Ex.Deo./.Fear.Of.Domination./.Finntroll./.Fracturus./.Ghost.Ship.Octavius./.Gloryhammer./.Gojira./.Grailknights./.Hammerfall./.Hands.of.Despair./.Heathen.Foray./.Heidevolk./.Helloween./.Helsott./.Hollow./.Horizon.Ignited./.Insomnium./.In.Vain./.Kalmah./.Kataklysm./.Kissin.Dynamite./.Korpiklaani./.Kreator./.Lord.Of.The.Lost./.Manegarm./.Marianas.Rest./.Mayan./.Moonsorrow./.Moonspell./.Mors.Principium.Est./.Mors.Subita./.Myrath./.Naglfar./.Ne.Obliviscaris./.Nekrogoblikon./.Night.Demon./.Novembers.Doom./.Omnium.Gatherum./.Orphaned.Land./.Persefone./.Powerglove./.Powerwolf./.Psychework./.Revocation./.Rivers.of.Nihil./.Rotting.Christ./.Sabaton./.Saltatio.Mortis./.Scar.Symmetry./.Serenity./.Shade.Empire./.Shape.the.Above./.Shylmagoghnar./.Sonata.Arctica./.Spacemak3r./.Starkill./.Steel.Panther./.Stratovarius./.Striker./.Svartsot./.Swallow.the.Sun./.Tarot./.Tenacious.D./.Terasbetoni./.The.Agonist./.The.Black.Dahlia.Murder./.The.Halo.Effect./.Therion./.Trollfest./.Turisas./.Tyr./.Unleash.the.Archers./.Van.Canto./.Varg./.Wilderun./.Wintersun./.Wolfheart

Red- Out for being on-board last year
    Green- It's ON
    Cyan- Most Wanted
  • Thrashmania
    Crewman

by Thrashmania » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:26 pm

slayergeek wrote:Unleashed - Hammer Battalion

I hadn't listened to that one--put it on and gave it a listen. Pales in comparison to Where No Life Dwells (especially) or Shadows in The Deep for me.
    70k 2012, Barge 2012, 70k 2015, 70k 2016, 70k 2017
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Amorphis - Eclipse and Under The Red Cloud are their best albums IMO
    Kamelot - The Black Halo
    Equilibrium - Sagas

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Kamelot: Best albums for me are The Black Halo and Ghost Opera. Haven (their most recent) is amazing as well. Have seen Kamelot with 3 different singers (ironically never with Khan) and they never disappoint, always play a great mix of old and new.
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Amorphis - Skyforger. (Not just my favorite album from this band, but one of my Top 10 favorite albums of all time in any genre.)

Gojira - The Way of All Flesh. This was my introduction to Gojira, and their high-water mark IMO. Their subsequent albums have been rather disappointing in comparison.

Draconian - Turning Season Within. For a couple years, this was my "go to" album on long flights. I could listen to it over and over and never tire of it. Beautiful and brutal at the same time.

Anthrax - Persistence of Time. Anthrax was my very first metal show. Saw them with Public Enemy and Primus at the Air Force Academy fieldhouse way back in 1991. Even got backstage passes and met Scott and Joey, which was the highlight of my then-16 year old existence. While not considered a "classic" like some of their others, PoT is a damn fine album.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    paali
    Oiler

by paali » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 am

Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja

Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
    Wishlist 2017:
    Agalloch - Amon Amarth - Diablo - Ensiferum - Finntroll - Ghost - King Diamond - Korpiklaani - Kvelertak - Lost Society - Moonsorrow - Månegarm - Opeth - Sólstafir - Watain - Within Temptation

2015: 7625
    2016: 7455
    2017: 2652
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:03 am

Equilibrium => Turis Fratyr and Armaggedon

Orphaned Land => Mabool and All is One

Cruachan => Folk-lore and The middle Kingdom

Haggard => Tales of Ithiria
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am

Amorphis - Circle - This is one of my top 5 fav bands, and I am finally going to see them live for the first time on the upcoming cruise. For me, this is their darkest and most creative album. If you are unfamiliar with the band, I agree that Skyforger would probably be an excellent introduction to the band's current sound.

Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood - Death Angel is one of the most underrated 80's thrash bands, without a doubt. They have several eras, each marked by a slightly different style from the band. Act III would probably be my favorite from them, but they tend to play a lot of newer material live. That said, I would start with The Dream Calls for Blood, as it represents their current style very well.

Testament - The Formation of Damnation - I disagree with some who said The Gathering is the best representation of the old and new Testament. There is one very big difference between the Gathering and the last 2 albums.... Alex Skolnick. Seeing them live today, Alex commands attention and is a huge part of their show. While he was absent, the band never had that powerful presence at lead guitar. For that reason, I think The Formation of Damnation is the best mix of their old style, and the newer, heavier Testament.

Revocation - Deathless - This is a fantastic album all the way through.... The title track is probably the only one that isn't up to par with the rest of the songs (for me), but this is a great introduction to the band.

Kamelot - The Black Halo - I am not real wild about some of the band's newer material, but this is a fantastic album. If you aren't big on the band, and have only heard new material, do yourself a favor and check this one out. They are fantastic live, regardless of which era of the band you prefer.

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe - This was the band's last album with Christian on vocals, and their peak in my opinion. I would have loved to see where they went after this had Christian stayed in the band, however I don't think the band ever fully recovered from the vocalist(s) change.

Orden Ogan - Ravenhead - I only just got into this band after they were announced, but this is some of the best power metal I have heard in quite some time. Awesome album.

Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion - Good introduction to the band... in my opinion, the album is just a little more consistent than Wages of Sin.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    ewest305
    Oiler

by ewest305 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Anthrax - State Of Euphoria :shred:
    Testament - New World Order :wank:
    Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine :deathhorns:
    Death Angel - Act 3 :beerhorns:
    Annihilator - Alice In Hell :beerbang:
    DevilDriver - Last Kind Words :heavydrink:
    Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked :viking:
    2017: Cabin #8660
    2015: Cabin #6314
    2014: Cabin #2534
  • Appollyon
    Wiper

by Appollyon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:03 am

My favorite band is Arch Enemy, but that's already spoken for. So my second is

Kamelot

The Black Halo
    Gutterchild7
    Oiler

by Gutterchild7 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:28 am

Well... I am a Tommy fan but I also love "old" Kamelot... So to be fair:

Pre-Tommy's best album (at least for me): The Black Halo
    Post-Tommy's best album: Haven (Silverthorn gave me a feeling of "we're still trying to put this all new babies together so this mix sounds kinda strange for moments")

Other discs and bands I also love:
    The Great Escape - Seventh Wonder
    The Human Contradiction - Delain (I'm so in love with Charlotte's sweet voice)
    Massive Addictive - Amaranthe
    Ghostlights - Avantasia (when I thought Tobi couldn't be better, he surprised and amazed me once again *-*)

As you can see, I'm not that much into the heavier death metal (although I love Alissa but mostly when she's not growling x'D)... I'm some kind of cryingbaby, lol.
    ARGENTINA
    [[ † 2017 † ]] .: 7674 :.

"May the touch of your hand forever be my therapy~~"
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:42 am

Amorphis - Under the Red Cloud
    There are many albums from Amorphis I could mention, but the last one is a true masterpiece. Everything they've done in the Joutsen era is like an eargasm to me.

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
    Yeah, Alvestam is probably irreplaceable, but still, they've delivered great albums with the two (not so) new guys. Anyway, if I had to pick an album, Holographic Universe all the way.

Equilibrium - Sagas
    I'm starting to listen to their latest album and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. So far, I've really enjoyed everything they've delivered, but Sagas is probably my favourite.

Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
    Their three latest albums are similar and different at the same time, chances are if you like one you'll like the others. As a huge fan of the band, New World Shadows is probably my favourite, although the choice is not easy.

Kamelot - The Black Halo
    Definitely my favourite. They've done great stuff with Roy Khan, like Epica or The Fourth Legacy, but their latest album is also amazing, I'm so looking forward to watching them live with Karevik.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:26 am

Phoenix wrote:Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe

BUT they changed clean vocalists, so the old songs sound a bit different live now.

I think this was possibly one that grabbed my attention at the weekend.

Most of the Scar Symmetry stuff I've heard so far has been,... OK, but i had a YouTube playlist on while reading & one track made me lookup ( it was a lyric video) & it was very outer-space themed I think. - I remember an ad popping up for Scar Symmetry at the end & I thought 'Wow,... they're actually really good'. it was called 'something...volume one' I'll have to dig it out & let you know which one it exactly was.
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:46 am

AceHugger wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe

I think this was possibly one that grabbed my attention at the weekend.

Most of the Scar Symmetry stuff I've heard so far has been,... OK, but i had a YouTube playlist on while reading & one track made me lookup ( it was a lyric video) & it was very outer-space themed I think. - I remember an ad popping up for Scar Symmetry at the end & I thought 'Wow,... they're actually really good'. it was called 'something...volume one' I'll have to dig it out & let you know which one it exactly was.

That would be the Singularity Volume I - they're in studio on Volume II right now if memory serves. All of their set lists these days have Cryonic Harvest off The Singularity on it.

They also play Morphogenesis off Holographic Universe. It's not the title track, but it's the next best thing.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Wasn't this thread on "The Bridge " section of the forum?It is about the cruise,I think one of the administrators moved it here.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:47 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:Wasn't this thread on "The Bridge " section of the forum?It is about the cruise,I think one of the administrators moved it here.

It's not explicitly about the cruise - the forum fiends just adapted it to be so.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    taraimaro
    Oiler

by taraimaro » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:10 am

Two out of my top four favourite bands playing on the cuirse 2017. :mrgreen:

Amorphis - Eclipse and Under the Red Cloud

I can't really say which one is the utmost best, I love them both. Eclipse was the one that made me a fan back in the days and UTRC is also good, better than the previous ones IMHO. I remember going to see Amorphis back in 2006 when the only song from Eclipse I had heard was House of Sleep. The gig was fantastic and made me a fan, even though I had already liked some of their songs before Joutsen era. Both albums work also very well both as whole and by individual songs. I'd say The Smoke is my favourite from Eclipse and the title track is my favourite from UTRC. :)

Stam1na - Elokuutio

My absolute absolute favourite band. I used to listen to them a lot during their first two albums (2005 & 2006) and then at some point kinda had a break. Partly because things happened in life, partly because I liked other bands more and also because they were always playing in my hometown when I was somewhere else so I missed their shows. Then I rediscovered them in 2015. I went to see a gig and still after years remembered the old lyrics and saw how they are fantastic live. Their newest album Elokuutio is their best album, the individual songs work but also the album as a whole works perfectly. I've seen them live 11 times this year (over 30 times total) and can hardly wait for the cruise. I'll definately be on the front row for both shows. They are great and energetic live and also the Elokuutio songs work live. What I also love about the album are the lyrics, the theme is the digitalization and how people have become too dependant on their devices. My favourite songs are Pala palalta and Valhe.

And then for the non-cruise duo:

Mokoma - Elävien kirjoihin
    Mokoma is also a band I've been listening to for over ten years. Kinda the same happened with them as with Stam1na. I had some kind of break but then in the summer 2015 I saw them live in Tuska and realised that I still remembered the old songs' lyrics by heart. The album is a concept story and the lyrics all deal with depression, due to the fact the the vocalist Marko Annala battled with depression for a long time. I have also suffered depression and the album helped me deal with it. Also musically it is a strong album. Favourite songs: Sinne missä aamu sarastaa and Pohja on nähty.

Kingston Wall - I
    I fell in love with them when I was 13 and the love has never faded. Their debut album is my favourite still. They only released three albums in the early 90s and their singer-guitarist-songwriter Pete Walli commited suicide in 1995 so the band is never coming back. With my mind has been one my all time favourite songs since I first heard it and the guitar solo is maybe the best ever. Also On my own and Used to feel before are my favourite songs from the album. There are also funny songs such as Mushrooms ("Something strange in my head, there must be mushrooms in my head") and a Jimi Hendrix cover Fire. I never got to see the band live because I was 6 when Walli died, but two years ago I saw their bassist & drummer together with other Finnish musicians playing Kingston Wall at the Kingston Wall DVD release party. I cried, because I was so happy to see 2/3 of the band playing those songs live. Only other "partial" band that made me cry was Queen + Adam Lambert last September in Hong Kong.
    2017 - survivor
    2018 - survivor
    2019 - survivor
    2020 - survivor
    2023 - survivor
    2024 - survivor
    2025 - I wanna go already!
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:49 am

Mors Principium Est - Dawn of the 5th Era

In all seriousness, Dawn of the 5th Era and ... And Death Said Live are both VERY strong albums. Departure off And Death Said Live is my favourite. But as an intro to the band, you can't go wrong with God Has Fallen, I Am War, or We Are the Sleep. I also have a soft spot for Innocence Lost. Can't wait for their new album to drop after the cruise either, they released one new song and it was fantastic.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:Mors Principium Est - Dawn of the 5th Era

In all seriousness, Dawn of the 5th Era and ... And Death Said Live are both VERY strong albums. Departure off And Death Said Live is my favourite. But as an intro to the band, you can't go wrong with God Has Fallen, I Am War, or We Are the Sleep. I also have a soft spot for Innocence Lost. Can't wait for their new album to drop after the cruise either, they released one new song and it was fantastic.

fact is, they've never recorded a bad song, and you can look them up on youtube and listen to anything and know exactly what's up
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm

taraimaro wrote:
    And then for the non-cruise duo:

......Kingston Wall - I
    I fell in love with them when I was 13 and the love has never faded.....

What a great choice...and I'd add another Finnish band, Hidria Spacefolk, to the pile, too. :beerbang:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:57 am

I looked at the bands playing so far, and none are currently in my "I'M A HUGE FAN" category. There's Amorphis, but I think everybody knows that Tales from the Thousand Lakes is their best album. Out of their albums with the current singer, Skyforger is my favorite.

But a funny thing to me is that I used to listen to Cruachan quite a bit in college, like in the mid-00's. I didn't realize they were touring again or making new albums until they were announced. I would honestly say their new album is solid. Other than that, it's a toss-up between Folk-Lore and Pagan being my favorite albums from them. These are really albums for people who really like their folk metal very folksy.

Testament is my favorite band on the ship this year, I think. The Gathering are my favorite albums.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 pm

sara wrote:But a funny thing to me is that I used to listen to Cruachan quite a bit in college, like in the mid-00's. I didn't realize they were touring again or making new albums until they were announced. I would honestly say their new album is solid. Other than that, it's a toss-up between Folk-Lore and Pagan being my favorite albums from them. These are really albums for people who really like their folk metal very folksy.

I never heard of Cruachan until it was announced. Naturally I had to look into them. What an amazing band. I don't know how I've overlooked them for so many years. I ended up ordering Tuatha na gael, middle kingdom and folk lore. Middle kingdom is definitely my favourite. I got bored of many of the mainstream folk bands pretty quickly (turisas, eluveitie, korpiklaani, etc.) It seemed that a lot of those band relied too heavily on their gimmick instruments. Something was missing. What makes Cruachan different is their black metal origins similar to Falkenbach
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:05 am

Testament - The Gathering (nice to see a lot of people think the same around here)
    Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
    Strapping Young Lad - City
    Opeth - Deliverance
    Death - Individual Thought Patterns
    Anathema - Judgement
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    MonicaMM
    Crewman

by MonicaMM » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the other side
    Therion - Secret of the runes
    Moonspell - Extinct
    Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
    <3
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 and 2023 survivor

Favorite bands: Amorphis - Samael - Moonspell - Blind Guardian - Therion - Paradise Lost - Rammstein - Avantasia - Helloween
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:34 am

Just realised I've forgotten one of my all time favorites...
    Deftones - White Pony (with Diamond Eyes as a close second)
    Also, Machine Head - The Blackening
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
Post Reply 40 posts Page 1 of 1