Post Reply 48 posts
IRON MAIDEN- THE FINAL FRONTIER
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: IRON MAIDEN- THE FINAL FRONTIER

by Bentz! » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:08 pm

The album has grown on me.

On a road trip to Shenandoah Nat'l Park the weekend before last, I actually wanted to listen to the album. This is the first time since Brave New World that I've actually wanted to listen to a new Iron Maiden album a month after it's been out.
    Iron Maiden is almost a totally different band in the new millenium. I still prefer the shorter, punkier songs from the early days, but the new stuff is pretty damn good when judged on its own.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Give me the glory days...

Number of the Beast on up through Seventh Son...

sweet jeezus that was (is) some amazing music
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Disaster Area wrote:Give me the glory days...

Number of the Beast on up through Seventh Son...

sweet jeezus that was (is) some amazing music

Oh hell yeah...Love that shit def their best :headbanger:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 pm

What? No love for the Paul Di'anno stuff?
    I still group those two albums in the same bin of awesome as Number of the Beast through Seventh Son
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 am

Bentz! wrote:What? No love for the Paul Di'anno stuff?
    I still group those two albums in the same bin of awesome as Number of the Beast through Seventh Son

The Di'anno era stuff was a bit punky for me, they are both in my mp3 player and get into rotation, but not anywhere near as often as all the others. Well, with one exception, I do prefer Killers over No Prayer for the Dying. I think I prefer Bruce over Di'Anno simply because I was exposed to Bruce (Piece of Mind LP) first, so for me he was the voice of Maiden.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Disaster Area wrote:The Di'anno era stuff was a bit punky for me...

I've heard this comment a number of times and can't seem to get it. I don't hear anything on those first couple albums that reminds me of anything I've heard from any punk bands. I mean, I know the songs are typically shorter and the production quality is a bit raw but that's where the similarities end for me. I just hear them as early metal... and yeah, I get that early metal took some of it's aggression from punk but I just mean the flavour of the songs, the chord structures, the melodies, lyrical content... none of it seems punk to me. Maybe I just have heavy metal blinders on :cool:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:The Di'anno era stuff was a bit punky for me...

I've heard this comment a number of times and can't seem to get it. I don't hear anything on those first couple albums that reminds me of anything I've heard from any punk bands. I mean, I know the songs are typically shorter and the production quality is a bit raw but that's where the similarities end for me. I just hear them as early metal... and yeah, I get that early metal took some of it's aggression from punk but I just mean the flavour of the songs, the chord structures, the melodies, lyrical content... none of it seems punk to me. Maybe I just have heavy metal blinders on :cool:

Well, it certainly isn't anything as song/chord structure. I have read the same thing many times so I guess I was influenced by that fact. It is more the "vibe" of the songs, they just feel punk to me and it is all due to Di'anno's voice and singing style, which I really don't like much. You certainly wouldn't find an epic instrumental like Gehngis Kahn on any punk album. In retrospect maybe I should have said " I prefer Maiden with Bruce because I think Di'anno has a horrible voice." :D

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:36 am

Disaster Area wrote:In retrospect maybe I should have said " I prefer Maiden with Bruce because I think Di'anno has a horrible voice." :D

Hahaha... fair enough. I like his voice a lot but I'm a Neil Young fan too so go figure :lol:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs: