Post Reply 10 posts Page 1 of 1
2017 Top 10 lists
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

2017 Top 10 lists

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Well, it's been a long year, and a lot has happened in the world. A LOT of great, and once great bands have released albums this year, and it's been harder to keep up than in the past...
    ...but I've finally finished listening to all the releases I needed to, and here's what I liked best this year (many of you assume NeO must be my top pick, but it simply didn't even make the cut)!
    Top honors go to a band that has consistently been impressing me since being introduced by some floppy headed maple chuggers I know... I've thoroughly enjoyed their entire discography, and this year I really feel they simply released the best record of all the hundreds I've listened to... Thank you, Unleash The Archers, for the highly enjoyable "Apex" that I spent most of my summer rockin' to, full volume, in my car, windows and pedal down!!!
    1. Unleash The Archers "Apex" (Napalm)
    2. Mors Principium Est "Embers Of A Dying World" (AFM)
    3. Black Kirin 黑麒麟 "Nanking Massacre" (Self Released)
    4. Alestorm "No Grave But The Sea" (Napalm)
    5. Vintersorg "Till Fjalls, Del II" (Napalm)
    6. Warbringer "Woe To The Vanquished" (Napalm)
    7. ORDEN OGAN "Gunmen" (AFM)
    8. River Black "River Black" (Season Of Mist)
    9. WITCHERY "I Am Legion" (Century Media)
    10. Lich King "The Omniclasm" (Self Released)
    I'd also like to just make a special mention to Dyscarnate, their record "With All Their Might" (Unique Leader) is noteworthy as such a solid, supremely heavy, pummeling release... It definitely deserves your attention!
    So, get out there and enjoy some metal \m/
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

Re: 2017 Top 10 lists

by Phoenix » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote: (many of you assume NeO must be my top pick, but it simply didn't even make the cut)!

I did quite like what they put down, but I found that the production quality was a little lower than Citadel. Some very good songs on that record though.

I've actually been somewhat let down by a lot of the stuff put out this year from my regular bands... I need to go back and give some of the stuff I missed a listen. Apex, Tarot, Gunmen... but even then I won't have enough for a top 10.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 am

Phoenix wrote:
    I did quite like what they put down, but I found that the production quality was a little lower than Citadel. Some very good songs on that record though.

I need to give it a few more listens, maybe break out the good headphones. It's definitely recorded differently and the drums sound more raw, like you're actually in the room with them. It also feels more like a cohesive album to me, rather than a collection of songs, and that's cool.

My trouble with NeO is that they're not background music, so I never listen to them unless that's all I'm doing. Which is actually a good thing, but it just means that I'm more likely to put on something simpler with a singalong chorus while playing board games or whatever.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am

acidbasement wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:

I need to give it a few more listens, maybe break out the good headphones. It's definitely recorded differently and the drums sound more raw, like you're actually in the room with them. It also feels more like a cohesive album to me, rather than a collection of songs, and that's cool.

My trouble with NeO is that they're not background music, so I never listen to them unless that's all I'm doing. Which is actually a good thing, but it just means that I'm more likely to put on something simpler with a singalong chorus while playing board games or whatever.

"Urn" is a simpler album, honestly, and I couldn't make myself care much more than if it were background music...

...and you have to know me to understand ho I used to live to promote and listen to them...
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 am

My top 10 albums:

1. Ayreon - The Source. A masterpiece. Quite possibly Arjen's best album.
    2. Unleash the Archers - Apex. I'm not much a fan of their back catalog but they really put together an excellent album.
    3. Aeternam - Ruins of Empires. Shoutout to the forum for bringing this band to my attention.
    4. Enslaved - E. Best of their modern output.
    5. Paradise Lost - Medusa. I much prefer the heavy version of Paradise Lost. I hope they keep with it for a while.
    6. Pallbearer - Heartless. Great album to listen to while doing absolutely nothing.
    7. Vintersorg - Til fjälls, del II. He was able to recreate the atmosphere of his old material with a more modern sound.
    8. Woe - Hope Attrition. I always anticipate a Woe release and they don't disappoint.
    9. Wolfheart - Tyhjyys. It's a Wolfheart album. Glad they're on the boat.
    10. Exit Eden - Rhapsodies in Black. Sue me. :P

As a bonus, my 5 biggest disappointments:

1. Wintersun - The Forest Seasons. What the fuck was that? Well, we'll always have the debut.
    2. Vandroya - Beyond the Human Mind. I thought this was going to be an easy entry into my top 10 but it just felt bland.
    3. Iced Earth - Incorruptible. Better than Plagues of Babylon but that's not saying much.
    4. Moonspell - 1755. It's not bad but didn't meet my expectations.
    5. Ne Obliviscaris - Urn. It's a good album but doesn't come close to their other work.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 am

mooyagi wrote:2. Vandroya - Beyond the Human Mind. I thought this was going to be an easy entry into my top 10 but it just felt bland.

What the hell happened to Vandroya? I listened to 3 songs before I had to look up to make sure it was the same Vandroya. Just a terrible album.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:29 am

Here are my Top 24 albums of 2017. I'm more of a progressive metal guy, hence the selection you see.

Positions 1-12 (in alphabetical order)

Positions 13-24 (in alphabetical order)

2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

I haven't really listened to a lot this year. If I would have to choose I'd say:

Amberian Dawn - Darkness of Eternity
    Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
    Pain of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day
    Urn - The Burning
    Zeal & Ardor - Devil is Fine
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Here is mine:

Unleash The Archers - Apex. Powerful music, incredible production.
    Elvenking - The secrets of the magick Grimoire. Some incredibly catchy songs on this album.
    Alice Cooper - Paranormal Favourite album by the great man in decades. Laid back, stripped back, and fun. Genuine American Girl is a standout ("I'm only 30 out of 50 shades of grey!" :P).
    Galderia - Return of the Cosmic Men. Such a happy, fun album. The EDM mix of Wake up the world is my favourite song of 2017.
    Beast in Black - Berserker. I got goosebumps first time I heard Blind and Frozen.
    The Privateer - The Goldsteen Lay. Pirate metal done good. So much to like about this album. Including the amazing artwork :)
    Iced Earth - Incorruptible. Songs are GREAT. Production is not so great :(
    Exit Eden - Rhapsodies in Black. Yes its all covers, but covers performed by supremely talented singers.
    Dragonforce - Reaching into Infinity. Most enjoyable album these guys have released in years.
    Evertale - The great brotherwar. Not as good as their first album, but still very epic and powerful.
    Aldaria - Land of Light. Great concept album, great lineup, lots of fun songs.

Honourable mentions
    Dragony - Lords of the Hunt. Not a full album, but hey you put out a song based on Bloodborne, you're gonna get an honourable mention from me :)
    Claymorean - Sounds from a Dying World. Tickles my doom-metal itch, yet very power metal too.
    Serenity - Lionheart. These guys are nice guys. And this is a nice album.

Disappointments
    orden ogan - Gunmen. Not a bad album, I just had ridiculously high expectations of it which were not met.
    ensiferum - Two Paths. Some good songs (and the limited edition had great loots), but not a killer album.

Special, Super, Honourable mention
    VALHALORE - Voyage Into Eternity. I dont count this as a 2017 album really as the bulk of the songs were on their debut EP which came out in 2016. But an absolute killer album, brilliant live band, and hopefully they will conquer the world.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 am

My number one album of 2017 was Anna Ternheim's All the Way to Rio. While it's not as good as The Night Visitor (very few albums are), it's still a really good one and gets Anna back on track in filling the void left by The Cardigans.
    And other albums that were worthy of a mention were:

Incantation - Profane Nexus
    Not sure if this was the death metal or the doom metal album of the year. Probably both. An impressive album anyhow.

Metalite - Heroes in Time
    Amaranthe Lite. Stupidly catchy choruses.

Immolation - Atonement
    Not that far behind Profane Nexus, but for some reason I listened to it a bit more.

Sleeping Romance - Alba
    I want to like them even more, but sadly their material has always been kinda hit or miss. This must be the first time I'm not skipping any songs as a default.

Hallatar - No Stars upon the Bridge
    Damn Juha is swimming in some seriously dark waters. If Swallow the Sun's music has a tiny glimpse of hope, it's all gone on Hallatar's album.

Cut Up - Wherever They May Rot
    Vomitory 2.0 should be higher up on the list (especially since Erik is a 70k veteran!), but I liked their first album more. Don't get me wrong, this is still an exceptional old school death metal album, just not by their standards.

Ayreon - The Source
    I'm still pissed that I missed the Ayreon shows in Tilburg. I think The Source is the best Ayreon album since the Universal Migrators (and if one counts Ambeon's Fate of a Dreamer as an Ayreon album).

And the close but no cigar section:
    Myrkur - Mareridt
    Cellar Darling - This Is the Sound
    Exit Eden - Rhapsodies in Black

Exit Eden would be higher on the list if it wasn't for a couple of misses; Skyfall, Total Eclipse of the Heart and Paparazzi bring nothing new to the songs and the result is too close to the originals.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
Post Reply 10 posts Page 1 of 1