Post Reply 14378 posts
What are you listening to right now?
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: What are you listening to right now?

by last_candle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:47 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:^^^ Alice Cooper has a lot of great material but am I the only one who holds the Love It To Death album up there?
    It may be just that The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is probably my favorite Cooper song.... just my ramblings...

You're certainly not the ONLY one as I'm a big fan of Is It My Body (performed a few times with a friend) and ya gotta love Black Juju and that great tribal drum feel. Was it the first album to include a song titled Hallowed Be Thy Name? I wonder. That said, Goes To Hell is still my all time fave and it rarely gets any love in any Alice conversations I hear/read. :cry:

the only reason why Goes To Hell doesn't get "much love" is because other records are even greater
    It's My Body is one of few albums that are still missing in my collection - but The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is indeed an amazing song!

np: Alice Cooper - The Ballad Of Dwight Fry
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:50 am

watching a nice video on youtube
    Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark - piano cover [HD]
    they guy has an amazing timing, imo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS33jC2VYNU

EDIT: the guy's a girl ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:55 am

last_candle wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:^^^ Alice Cooper has a lot of great material but am I the only one who holds the Love It To Death album up there?
    It may be just that The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is probably my favorite Cooper song.... just my ramblings...

You're certainly not the ONLY one as I'm a big fan of Is It My Body (performed a few times with a friend) and ya gotta love Black Juju and that great tribal drum feel. Was it the first album to include a song titled Hallowed Be Thy Name? I wonder. That said, Goes To Hell is still my all time fave and it rarely gets any love in any Alice conversations I hear/read. :cry:

the only reason why Goes To Hell doesn't get "much love" is because other records are even greater
    It's My Body is one of few albums that are still missing in my collection - but The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is indeed an amazing song!

np: Alice Cooper - The Ballad Of Dwight Fry

I put "Love it to Death" and "Goes to Hell" up there with the best Coop albums, so you're not alone, Rob. Goes to Hell is one of those albums that needs to be listened to all the way through to fully appreciate it. Give the Kid a Break!
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:18 am

Edguy - Wake Up The King
    wishlist '20:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Continuing with the 'not much love' theme and, I guess, cuz these guys aren't really 'metal' but they sure appeal to my metal mind...

I Mother Earth - Dig (full album as run and workout music today)

NP - Lost My America

but here's a vid from the lead single from the album years ago Rain Will Fall
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Continuing with the 'not much love' theme and, I guess, cuz these guys aren't really 'metal' but they sure appeal to my metal mind...
    I Mother Earth - Dig (full album as run and workout music today)
    NP - Lost My America
    but here's a vid from the lead single from the album years ago Rain Will Fall

don't count on my love ;)

np: Virgin Steel - Children of the Storm
    wishlist '20:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:43 pm

last_candle wrote:don't count on my love ;)

With nary a moment to inspire the shedding of a single tear, I most certainly was not ;)

Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I really liked the first two IME albums. They lost me with Blue Green Orange, though. I had no idea they put out two albums after that.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm

SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Nuclear Assault - Out Of Order (full album) :headbanger:

SO JEALOUS of all you MDFers :evil:

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:54 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Nuclear Assault - Out Of Order (full album) :headbanger:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 366&ref=ts

get your penguin ass there man!!!
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm

BierVulf wrote:

He's too delicate to handle Autopsy. :lol:

I would love to see Whiplash do ANY song from Insult to Injury :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 pm

KevinP wrote:
    BierVulf wrote:

He's too delicate to handle Autopsy. :lol:

I would love to see Whiplash do ANY song from Insult to Injury :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

You gonna be there mate?

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:18 pm

iTunes shuffle took me from Megadeth's Liar to Eyehategod's Who Gave Her The Roses

BierVulf wrote:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138177629579366&ref=ts

Okay, jealous of the SBTW folks too lol

But yeah, thanks for reminding me. That would be way more doable if my 70K 2012 finances are secure by then.

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:I like it ALL

Don't go stealing Laura's catch-phrase :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Well, it makes sense though...

Even though Laura and I have VERY different tastes in music from about the 80's onward, especially in terms of our absolute faves, we're very similar in that I think we're both very open-minded music fans. Like Jake and others here, we tend to look for the good in everything we listen to and consciously focus on that as opposed to hating on bands or entire sub-genres and excluding stuff too readily.

And that's not a criticism against more discerning listeners either. I think it's great that many fans stay more 'true' to what they like, know what they don't like and don't bother with stuff that's not right in their musical wheelhouse too much. I've learned a lot from the Power and Death metal threads that I wouldn't have if not for the fans who are so dedicated to their knowledge in these areas.

I won't speak for Laura or anyone else but I guess you could criticize me as being a less discerning fan as I just don't pick songs apart and analyze them the way I once did. I've been too pleasantly surprised by far too many artists that, at one point, I never would've even bothered with but who've turned out to be some of my favourites of all time. And then there's those albums that just sound like crap at first listen but then grow on me over time and wind up residing in my 'classics' category. I guess the cost is listening to lots of crap from time to time and maybe being considered less than a 'true' fan but the payoff makes it all worthwhile.

Rob – I read this great post of yours again today because my mind was kinda chewing on it for the past few days. First off – when you mentioned that we have VERY different tastes in music from about the 80’s onwards….it took me by surprise at first but then I realized you’re absolutely right! We’ve discussed bands we both like such as Aerosmith (Toys in the Attic!), Blue Oyster Cult, Rush (2112!), Ministry, Scorpions, Supertramp (Breakfast in America!), and several others and of course those are all vintage bands if you will. It just shows you how people’s tastes can evolve in such different ways – such an interesting topic I think! It’s all such a personal thing – which is why I tend not to criticize a particular band or a genre because obviously it means something to somebody and that’s all that matters.

And I agree with you that we are both very open-minded music fans. That’s not to say I like everything I hear or I will spend much time pursuing this or that genre. As I mentioned somewhere else lately, if something doesn’t grab me right away (or I think I used the saying grab me by the throat), it probably never will. I’m generally not the kind of music fan who has music grow on me over time. When I really think about all my favorite bands/albums/songs over all these years (from many different genres of music) – most all, if not all – gave me a visceral-like positive reaction from the beginning. As I said above, I think it’s a very personal thing and it’s interesting for me to contemplate the common thread(s) (of which there are several I've discovered) amongst all this diverse music that has really meant a lot to me.

And Rob – you know me – I could go on and on about stuff like this – but I’ll leave it at that for now. ;) :P
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:47 pm

last_candle wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Agalloch: Desolation Song (The Mantle)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ8cIn8s ... ata_player

...for about the tenth time today...strange since I've listened to the The Mantle more than a hundred times at least...and for some reason this last track really struck me today. Singer/songwriter John Haughm has got to be one of the most brooding and melancholy types I've ever come across in music - I like that deep emotion very much! Haven't read much about him or watched interviews with him - so don't know where it's all "coming from" - but I think the music / feeling is very amazing nonetheless.

Agalloch always puts me in this mood like I'd be lying on a meadow right next to a forest
    (but I have to confess that I only know the Mantle)

np: Agaloch - You Were But A Ghost

That is a great song too! I have 3 Agalloch albums - the Mantle, Ashes Against the Grain (Not Unlike the Waves is really great), and the new one Marrow of the Spirit. All but 2 songs from the show last night were from those three albums.

np: Agalloch: Not Unlike the Waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCqkpJO ... ata_player
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:08 am

Golden Earring- Radar Love
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 am

Inquisitor wrote:Golden Earring- Radar Love

If you haven't seen this 1974 clip from the Midnight Special - watch! It's a classic - funny that Little Richard introduces them.... :P (lol though - whassup with the tight pink pants?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjqqy2hhDA
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 am

Metalwrath (The Amon Amarth song, not our power metal loving, heavy partying, Irish friend.) :D
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 am

Bentz! wrote:Metalwrath (The Amon Amarth song, not our power metal loving, heavy partying, Irish friend.) :D

Oh good. They say listening to Metalwrath rant on can give you some kind of brain damage :lol:
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

this was almost worth a facebook statement:
    yesterday, I discovered Judas Priest's cover of "Diamonds and Rust" in an acoustic version
    and it's just plain great to find out that there are still some hidden gems from past decades around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wGlbYpBQdQ

Laura, are Agalloch playing more of the heavier stuff live?
    wishlist '20:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:24 pm

last_candle wrote:Laura, are Agalloch playing more of the heavier stuff live?

a mixture really - and since the songs are so long - there's a lot of variation within the songs - especially since John sings both clean and death/black-type vocals
    here's the setlist (seems like they kept pretty much the same setlist for the whole tour)

1. Into the Painted Grey (Marrow of the Spirit)
    2. Falling Snow (Ashes Against the Grain)
    3. The Watcher's Monolith (Marrow of the Spirit)
    4. Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor (Of Stone, Wind and Pillor EP - I don't own this one)
    5. Limbs (Ashes Against the Grain)
    6. Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires (Marrow of the Spirit)
    7. Our Fortress is Burning... II: Bloodbirds (Ashes Against the Grain)
    Encore:
    8. Dead Winter Days (Pale Folklore - I don't own this one)
    9.In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion (The Mantle)

Man - what a :cool: band! I think they are quite unique - wikipedia describes them as "Folk metal, doom metal, black metal, post-rock" and allmusic.com describes them as "Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal, Experimental Rock, Alternative/Indie Rock" - that's a lotta labels! ;)
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

tyrwoman wrote:9.In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion (The Mantle)

this is the first song I got to know by Agalloch
    I wonder where those files are; someone sent me a few tracks - but I suppose those weren't mp3s
    I've got to find some time to listen to Agalloch again
    but it's great that they seem to be well know and appreciated around here
    wishlist '20:
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:30 pm

As Rob’s (Shore-Slayer) words eloquently spoke, of which Laura (TYRwomen) reiterated and I can concur musical taste vary wide and far and most of us are fairly open minded and appreciative of a good tune. I may have the one of the more eclectic taste since my current listening while driving goes from Exodus’ “Tempo of the Damned”, Dark Moor’s “Autumnal”, ERA, Christian Kane, Sabaton, to Vaden Plas’ “Seraphic Clockwork”. Certain tunes aid me while dealing with other drivers. :cheers:
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm

[quote="last_candle"]this was almost worth a facebook statement:
    yesterday, I discovered Judas Priest's cover of "Diamonds and Rust" in an acoustic version
    and it's just plain great to find out that there are still some hidden gems from past decades around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wGlbYpBQdQ

One of more favarite tunes by Judas Priest.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm

"Blood And Passion" - Suspyre.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Warbeast - Krush The Enemy :headbanger:

C'mon April 26th!!! :shred: :shred: :shred:

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:27 am

Opeth - In my time of need

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:53 am

Amon Amarth: War of the Gods (Surtur Rising)

FIRST time listening to this new album! (decided to wait a few days after my big Agalloch outing on Sunday until I dug into this one! Killer first track and now I'm on Destroyer of the Universe :D
    :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:

2 weeks from tomorrow....... :beerwink:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

^^^ yes, it is awesome!!!! :viking:

And I'll see what I can do about the beer. :beerwink:

Got so excited about the possibility of Therion on the 2012 cruise - am now listening to Gothic Kabbalah - one of my faves from that: Son of the Staves of Time -
    Epic performance from Wacken a few years back...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31kCbqu9 ... ata_player
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 pm

haven't listened to Therion in quite a while - and NOW I remember why: Vovin is on a minidisc and my MD-player hasn't seen light in ages...

np: Therion - The Rise of Sodom and Gomorra
    wishlist '20:
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 am

Today has been a Metal Church day for me, and right now, it's the Human Factor :shred:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 am

Captain Metal wrote:Today has been a Metal Church day for me, and right now, it's the Human Factor :shred:

Inspired me to throw on this and Hanging in the Balance also, so thanks!!

Just too bad they hadn't experienced the same resurgence that Death Angel did as they both put out to 'comeback' albums around the same span of time but, alas, MC packed it in. :cry:

Would love to have them on 70K 2012 :headbanger:

NP: Metal Church - A Light in the Dark

MrsAceMasterHan
    Crewman

by MrsAceMasterHan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 am

tyrwoman wrote:Amon Amarth: War of the Gods (Surtur Rising)

FIRST time listening to this new album! (decided to wait a few days after my big Agalloch outing on Sunday until I dug into this one! Killer first track and now I'm on Destroyer of the Universe :D
    :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:

2 weeks from tomorrow....... :beerwink:

Just slipped this one in the player, picked it up while I was out yesterday. Currently on track 5, much love for it so far. Its just getting me all pumped lol ( there were extra people at work today, is it bad I opted to come home just so I could listen to my new CD in peace while perusing the internet? lol ) :headbanger:
    Deck 7
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:22 am

Cynic - Textures

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 am

Deadly Remains - Before the Nothing
    another band that is about to get added to the my list of requests for 2012

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 pm

last_candle wrote:haven't listened to Therion in quite a while - and NOW I remember why: Vovin is on a minidisc and my MD-player hasn't seen light in ages...

np: Therion - The Rise of Sodom and Gomorra

Therion! I'm listening to Son of the Sun from Celebrators of Becoming - a killer FOUR DVD/TWO CD set - love this - bought it a few years ago. :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrators_of_Becoming
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Equilibrium - Kurzes Epos

Equilibrium in 2012! :headbanger:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm

Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
Post Reply 14378 posts