Post Reply 61 posts
fed agents raid popular music cruise ship for illegal drugs
  • KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

fed agents raid popular music cruise ship for illegal drugs

by KK Cruiser » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/08/2 ... -ship.html

Hmmmm... The Americans really frown on drugs.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Authorities say federal agents raided a popular music cruise ship for illegal drugs and contraband while docked at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokeswoman Migdalia Travis told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the Jan. 4 raid on the Jam Fest cruise resulted in 15 seizures. Among the drugs collected were: marijuana, LSD, mushrooms, hash oil, Ecstasy, prescription drugs and drug paraphernalia in mostly small quantities.

The Jam Cruise raid occurred right before the MSC Poesia set sail. MSC Cruises did not release any immediate comment.
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: fed agents raid popular music cruise ship for illegal drugs

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 am

No, you've got it wrong. The American government really frowns on drugs. The American people openly and willingly partake in various drug related activities.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:00 am

How can they seize prescription drugs? Isn't that something doctor prescribes for you?
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 am

It's very possible the owners of said drugs were trying to sell them to other people on the ship. At that point, the feds can seize the drugs.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 am

Damn Hippies!
    *Shakes fist*
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:34 am

Wow, poor hippies. Doesn't our government have better things to do, like catch terrorists???

You guys that have prescriptions better have them in the original containers!

My drug of choice is music, anyway! 2nd drug of choice, alcohol. Looks like I'm set!!! :heavydrink:
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 am

metalgoddess wrote:WMy drug of choice is music, anyway! 2nd drug of choice, alcohol. Looks like I'm set!!!

Here, here! :beerwink:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:55 am

When I went on the Simple man cruise in 2008 and I was leaving the cabin with my luggage after the cruise was over there were 2 Miami cops at the door of the people next to me, who had like 1 joint or something and they were getting arrested. :lol:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 am

metalgoddess wrote:Wow, poor hippies. Doesn't our government have better things to do, like catch terrorists???

You guys that have prescriptions better have them in the original containers!

My drug of choice is music, anyway! 2nd drug of choice, alcohol. Looks like I'm set!!! :heavydrink:

+1. Especially given the assassination attempt that happened yesterday (granted it seems like that guy is mentally unstable). It's amazing how much money the authorities waste going after small amounts of drugs. Only drug I use is alcohol, but who cares if someone has a couple of joints? A line has to be drawn somewhere but some relatively harmless substance usage while on a music cruise is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 am

Not to spark a HUUUUUGE debate over this, but for our international visitors who can't quite comprehend the USA's policy on drugs, it's fairly simple.

Alcohol = legal since big corporations produce it. In the pockets of politicians.

Drugs = illegal cause the government doesn't make any tax dollars off it's sale and not controlled by big corporations.

Jails = running jails IS big business in the USA, so lock people up for drugs and the government gets to PAY corporations to monitor the jails

Hence why MURDER isn't as huge of a deal when compared to drugs and people alot of times you get LESS jail time for murder than drugs. When you murder someone, you are NOT hurting a big corporation, so they tend to go easy on you (admittedly I'm painting with a very generalized brush).

Messed up? Sure is, but that's the USA. All about the benjamins and big corporations.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:55 am

KevinP wrote:Not to spark a HUUUUUGE debate over this, but for our international visitors who can't quite comprehend the USA's policy on drugs, it's fairly simple.

Alcohol = legal since big corporations produce it. In the pockets of politicians.

Drugs = illegal cause the government doesn't make any tax dollars off it's sale and not controlled by big corporations.

Jails = running jails IS big business in the USA, so lock people up for drugs and the government gets to PAY corporations to monitor the jails

Hence why MURDER isn't as huge of a deal when compared to drugs and people alot of times you get LESS jail time for murder than drugs. When you murder someone, you are NOT hurting a big corporation, so they tend to go easy on you (admittedly I'm painting with a very generalized brush).

Messed up? Sure is, but that's the USA. All about the benjamins and big corporations.

Excellent synopsis!

*golf clap*

added clarification of Kevin's clarification:

Benjamin = 100 dollar note (Has a picture of Benjamin Franklin)
    Last edited by Disaster Area on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:56 am

I agree with y'all.

Maybe Nilay can bring a giant hookah....
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:57 am

rhiawiz wrote:I agree with y'all.

Maybe Nilay can bring a giant hookah....

we have none... apologies
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    Excellent synopsis!

*golf clap*

What's that line from that movie? "Every time Kevin and Craig AGREE another Angel gets their wings ripped off"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Excellent post, Kevin! We in California had a chance to make marijuana legal and taxed, but all the potheads got too high and forgot to vote :lol:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:26 pm

mooyagi wrote:Excellent post, Kevin! We in California had a chance to make marijuana legal and taxed, but all the potheads got too high and forgot to vote :lol:

I'm not a marijuana (or any drug) guy and I still think it should be legal. It's much safer than alcohol. But we know why alcohol is legal already ;)

I'm not one of those "The USA blows, this and that sucks". But the war on drugs & this idiotic belief that certain ideas or policies are "too European" (in a bad way) drive me batshit crazy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

GOOD, we need more European ideas. Why it's made out to be so bad and idiots fall for that logic is beyond me (well I do, but that's a political debate we'll avoid). I'm sure our friends can tell us the horror stories of corporations over there. But general stuff like chemicals, food dyes, etc. have been BANNED in Europe for years, but still allowed in our commercial products and food supply over here. Doesn't that tell you something ? Sure we pay lower gas costs at the pump, but in REAL dollars we pay for it through taxes (funding the miltary to acquire and protect the oil) is MUCH higher or the same as Europeans are paying. It's just another "pulling the wool over our eyes" scam we are led to believe.

Okay, okay, I'm boring myself into oblivion. Sorry for the rant :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 pm

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Excellent post, Kevin! We in California had a chance to make marijuana legal and taxed, but all the potheads got too high and forgot to vote :lol:

I'm not a marijuana (or any drug) guy and I still think it should be legal. It's much safer than alcohol. But we know why alcohol is legal already ;)

I'm not one of those "The USA blows, this and that sucks". But the war on drugs & this idiotic belief that certain ideas or policies are "too European" (in a bad way) drive me batshit crazy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

GOOD, we need more European ideas. Why it's made out to be so bad and idiots fall for that logic is beyond me (well I do, but that's a political debate we'll avoid). I'm sure our friends can tell us the horror stories of corporations over there. But general stuff like chemicals, food dyes, etc. have been BANNED in Europe for years, but still allowed in our commercial products and food supply over here. Doesn't that tell you something ? Sure we pay lower gas costs at the pump, but in REAL dollars we pay for it through taxes (funding the miltary to acquire and protect the oil) is MUCH higher or the same as Europeans are paying. It's just another "pulling the wool over our eyes" scam we are led to believe.

Okay, okay, I'm boring myself into oblivion. Sorry for the rant :mrgreen:

No way man, fuck them Europeans, they talk funny.

Go America!

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Disaster Area wrote:No way man, fuck them Europeans, they talk funny.

Go America!

Yeah FUCK TURKEY, Istanbul and Constantinople

Which reminds me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vankaSlfSr0
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 pm

It's only illegal if you get caught ;)
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:No way man, fuck them Europeans, they talk funny.

Go America!

Yeah FUCK TURKEY, Istanbul and Constantinople

Which reminds me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vankaSlfSr0

oh, you guys! enough with the love fest already! LOL
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm not a marijuana guy either, but it really should be legalized. I believe it is now in Massachusetts in small amounts. Speaking of drugs, I just saw a Scientology commercial flash across the TV screen. Now those people must do some really weird shit to believe in that scam.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:43 pm

mooyagi wrote: Speaking of drugs, I just saw a Scientology commercial flash across the TV screen. Now those people must do some really weird shit to believe in that scam.

Bust out the clay tables on the pool deck :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:45 pm

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote: Speaking of drugs, I just saw a Scientology commercial flash across the TV screen. Now those people must do some really weird shit to believe in that scam.

Bust out the clay tables on the pool deck :mrgreen:

wait, Scientology is a scam? I thought it was legit science. who knew /shrugs/

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I would believe in Scientology if their mission statement was modified to:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    "People are Death Metal Loving beings who have forgotten their true nature. Its method of spiritual rehabilitation is a type of counselling known as auditing, in which practitioners aim to consciously re-experience painful or traumatic events in their past in order to free themselves of their Power Metal addiction.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Then and ONLY then will I be able to take them seriously :deathmetal: :mrgreen: :lol: :P :deathmetal:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:01 pm

KevinP wrote:I would believe in Scientology if their mission statement was modified to:

"People are Death Metal Loving beings who have forgotten their true nature. Its method of spiritual rehabilitation is a type of counselling known as auditing, in which practitioners aim to consciously re-experience painful or traumatic events in their past in order to free themselves of their Power Metal addiction.

Then and ONLY then will I be able to take them seriously :deathmetal: :mrgreen: :lol: :P :deathmetal:

not bad, but the flying spaghetti monster and his meatballs is still the one for me.
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 am

KevinP wrote:I would believe in Scientology if their mission statement was modified to:

OI! Go put on some make up or corpse paint or watchamacallit and leave the emerald forests of elves and shiny unicorns and swords and maces and battles and buffed men in loincloth and women with big bewbs alone!
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 am

NuuX wrote:OI! Go put on some make up or corpse paint or watchamacallit and leave the emerald forests of elves and shiny unicorns and swords and maces and battles and buffed men in loincloth and women with big bewbs alone!

I ain't no black metal weenie, so need for the corpse paint. Plus I have no problem with elves as ELFQUEST is the only comic book/graphic novel I collect :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.elfquest.com/
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 am

You can bet they'll be doing this to our cruise.

"BUNCHA DEVIL WORSHIPERS GOING ON THAT BOAT O'ER THAR! THEY GOT THEM SILLY CIGARETTES AND THEY HEY-ROW-INE! (as my roommie would say)LONG-HAIRED HEAVY METAL DRUG TAKERS!!! GET 'EM!"
    D E C K 6
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:You can bet they'll be doing this to our cruise.

"BUNCHA DEVIL WORSHIPERS GOING ON THAT BOAT O'ER THAR! THEY GOT THEM SILLY CIGARETTES AND THEY HEY-ROW-INE! (as my roommie would say)LONG-HAIRED HEAVY METAL DRUG TAKERS!!! GET 'EM!"

You know it! I hope that no one even tries to bring anything! That would be awesome if we had absolutely NO arrests! :cheers:

I do know that some over the counter drugs in some countries are illegal here, so you international folks better check everything you bring, just in case.
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:09 am

metalgoddess wrote:
    AlabastRDisastR wrote:You can bet they'll be doing this to our cruise.

You know it! I hope that no one even tries to bring anything! That would be awesome if we had absolutely NO arrests! :cheers:

I do know that some over the counter drugs in some countries are illegal here, so you international folks better check everything you bring, just in case.

I'd really like for them to waste their time & man power on a fucking stereotype. Of course, them coming up with nothing wouldn't make any kind of news. :roll:
    D E C K 6
  • PxDnNinja
    Petty Officer

by PxDnNinja » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 am

NuuX wrote:How can they seize prescription drugs? Isn't that something doctor prescribes for you?

If the prescription isn't for you, they can take it.
    2011: SURVIVED
    2012: SURVIVED
    2013: SURVIVED
    2014: Waiting to Book
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

PxDnNinja wrote:
    NuuX wrote:How can they seize prescription drugs? Isn't that something doctor prescribes for you?

If the prescription isn't for you, they can take it.

Here you don't get a label on the bottle with your name and stuff. Doctor gives you a piece of paper, you go to drug store nad they give you drugs. I'm now semi-worried bringing some pain killers with me just in case. :oops:
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
  • JCG111
    Wiper

BE CAREFUL!

by JCG111 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 pm

I know that no one thats going on this cruise would ever think of doing such a thing but... Look up "Jams Cruise" on your internet to see how this country's DEA (drug enforcement agency) thought it important to raid the ship before it left the dock at Port Everglades which is a mere 40 miles from where we be sailing from earlier this month. Guess they don't want those great American drugs leaving the country! I know there are all kinds of ways of "getting things done" but like the headline says.....BE CAREFUL!
  • Metalwrath

Re: BE CAREFUL!

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:11 pm

They do these checks in al ot of countries.
    Besided it would probably be more to do with not letting drugs get to America from Mexica than the other way around :roll:
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for the warning, but this very subject has already been discussed at length in another section of this forum.

Go check it out here: http://www.70000tons.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1036
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:47 pm

exactly and drugs asre for losers, may I add.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:exactly and drugs asre for losers, may I add.

Hooray! I'm finally not a loser!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

:lol: @ Hodgy

SMELLS LIKE SUUSHIIIIIIIIIIIII

yo, I live in Lynnwood WA too, I should maybe change it now that more Puget Sounders are on board! ;)
    metalheadtop
    Petty Officer

by metalheadtop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Beer is better !!!

:givebeer: or 3
    Survived 70000tons of Metal 2011
    Survived 2012
    BARGE TO HELL
    70000tons 2013
    70,000 tons 2014
    154,000tons 2015
  • SatansWrath
    Chief Petty Officer

by SatansWrath » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 am

metalheadtop wrote:Beer is better !!!

:givebeer: or 3

Aye +1 :viking:
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Pissed of whishlist for the cruises:
    Turisas, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Dalriada, Arch Enemy, Abinchova, Northland, Sear Bliss, Watain, Slayer, Raubtier, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Running Wild
Post Reply 61 posts