Post Reply 880 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by sageoftruth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm going back to reading "Frames of Mind". I can't read Atlus Shrugged any longer. Reading it always puts me in a very foul mood. The book comes across as a very clear window to the author's mind and her mind repulses me, not because of politics, but because of Ayn Rand. As you said, Moxie, it's very black and white. I don't think I fancy black and white. That's probably why I hated Catcher and the Rye as well. Anyway, Ms. Rand comes across as extremely self-satisfied and extremely dismissive of human nature. I don't like it when human nature gets in the way of things, but I also dislike people like her, who stoke the flames of human nature's flaws with such conceited and indifferent attitudes.

Communication goes both ways and her characters showed no interest in pulling their weight. Ms. Taggart dismissed everyone else's feelings and personal hangups as irrelevant baggage and then she expected her coworkers to respond rationally and reasonably. In the end, it was this very conceit that made me unable to follow this book any further. If I wish to learn about Objectivism, I'll just read an essay.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:42 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I'm reading Wheel of time now - lets see how long it takes me to read them all :)

hehehe :bangers: :bangers: :bangers:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 am

ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Sarah got me this as a gift for today. Not sure if she's trying to tell me something...

13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm

nekrobarr wrote:Sarah got me this as a gift for today. Not sure if she's trying to tell me something...

haha... it's not what you think... enjoy!
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:50 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    nekrobarr wrote:Sarah got me this as a gift for today. Not sure if she's trying to tell me something...

haha... it's not what you think... enjoy!

If it was, wouldn't it be called, "Give Me Some Sugar, Baby".
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Currenty reading "Conan of Cimmeria," a joyous compilation of original Conan tales from Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague De Camp. This is the second volume of fun stories of classic barbaric slaughter comprised in chronological order. A strong recommendation for anyone who thinks they love sword and sorcery fantasy. :death:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 am

12 Chapters in on the first book of Wheel of Time!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 am

Just finished these two by Patrick Rothfuss:

The Name of the Wind
    The Wise Man's Fear

Up next:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:03 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:12 Chapters in on the first book of Wheel of Time!

Welcome to the addiction! Enjoy the thousands and thousands of pages of reading to come!

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm

viathyn wrote:Just finished these two by Patrick Rothfuss:

The Name of the Wind
    The Wise Man's Fear

Up next:

I'm told this one is pretty amazing!

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:34 pm

viathyn wrote:Just finished these two by Patrick Rothfuss:

The Name of the Wind
    The Wise Man's Fear

Up next:

You've got my curiosity. It's been awhile since I read a fantasy book. Does it do anything to break from the standard Fantasy forumla? That's what's been keeping me off them up till now. I'd love to jump back in.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I haven't started the Erikson books yet, but I'll let you know how the series is once I get into it! Therer are 10 books.

The Rothfuss books (Kingkiller Chronicles) are a trilogy, though only 2 are released as of right now. They are definitely rooted in high fantasy, and are told in first-person narrative form for the most part. The main character is a bit of a 'superman' (ie; good at lots of stuff..), but remains compelling throughout his numerous successes and failures. The characters appear to be mostly black and white rather than a full greyscale like in George Martin's books (Erikson apparently employs a greyscale as well). There is an interesting emphasis on academia, music, dramatic performance, and other themes that don't usually come into the foreground in fantasy. Magic is a central theme, but it's explained and expressed in a refreshing way; the ideas of sygaldry, sympathetic binding, and discovering the true names of elements and objects in order to have power over them are completely new to me and I suspect are largely unique to this series. Additionally, Rothfuss introduced several methods of communication that I hadn't thought about before either. He can write a good sentence, and his metaphors are very strong, so I place him in a much higher tier than George Martin as far as pure writing skills are concerned. My main gripes are as follows: relatively limited scope, many passages are very repetative, the female characters aren't very well rounded, and the pacing falls flat occasionally. All in all though, I greatly enjoyed reading them and will likely read them through again before the third part of the trilogy comes out next year.

Please check out my band

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Goodreads links. They are rated very very highly when compared to other recent fantasy

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1860 ... f_the_Wind

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1215 ... Man_s_Fear

For reference, here's the list of best epic fantasy:
    http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/50.T ... asy#186074

Top five:
    1. A Game of Thrones
    2. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
    3. The Chronicles of Narnia
    4. The Name of the Wind
    5. The Eye of the World

Please check out my band

• X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:54 pm

viathyn wrote:Goodreads links. They are rated very very highly when compared to other recent fantasy

Top five:
    1. A Game of Thrones
    4. The Name of the Wind
    5. The Eye of the World

According to Brandon Sanderson, Rothfuss is one of the best authors in the genre that started after 2000. And nobody started as good as Rothfuss.

BTW, did you like Kvothe? I thought he was kind of boring, but the overall world system was very interesting, as well as the emphasis on things like music, academia and that kind of stuff. I still haven't read The Wise Man's Fear. Is it as good as ItNotW?

--
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:02 pm

I enjoyed WMF much more than NotW; it's a bigger book and, even though the first ~300 pages feel like a rehash of the first book, there is significant plot movement and character development for Kvothe.

I think he's a pretty cool guy, and he gets painted in some different light in the second book. I recommend you read it!

Overall though, the world system, languages, currencies, types of magic etc are much more interesting. I think the real strength of the series lies in these elements.

Please check out my band

• DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:12 Chapters in on the first book of Wheel of Time!

Oh man, you have a long journey in front of you. Some of it good, some it bad. Enjoy, and please tell us what you think of some of the later volumes. I still need to finish the very last volume.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 am

I've just started The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. It's his second novel I read (the other one being Warbreaker, which was really good too), other than his work on The Wheel of Time. So far, so good, but it's a LONG book.

Last edited by X-Thor on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

--
  • Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:06 am

I've been on a delightful Jack Kerouac book binge. Very inspiring. This man`s writing is one of few things that makes sense to me this summer, so far.
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    2017 - Likely my return :D .
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 am

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:Image

Good series
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:23 am

X-Thor wrote:
    viathyn wrote:Goodreads links. They are rated very very highly when compared to other recent fantasy

Top five:
    1. A Game of Thrones
    4. The Name of the Wind
    5. The Eye of the World

According to Brandon Sanderson, Rothfuss is one of the best authors in the genre that started after 2000. And nobody started as good as Rothfuss.

BTW, did you like Kvothe? I thought he was kind of boring, but the overall world system was very interesting, as well as the emphasis on things like music, academia and that kind of stuff. I still haven't read The Wise Man's Fear. Is it as good as ItNotW?

Never heard of "The name of the Wind." Am I missing something? I respect Brandon Sanderson's opinion especially after reading the first two Wheel of Time books he wrote (book 12 and 13...great stuff). However, I must ask, is "The Name of the Wind" overly long winded like The Wheel of Time Saga? Also, how come no Michael Moorcock is on that list? Blind Guardian lyrics make so much sense to me now after reading Michael Moorcock! :D
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 am

X-Thor wrote:I've just started The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. It's his second novel I read (the other one being Warbreaker, which was really good too), other than his work on The Wheel of Time. So far, so good, but it's a LONG book.

You've got me very curious, brother. I've been hearing from several friends over the years that Brandon Sanderson has an incredible talent to suck in the reader to a long winded series simialar to what Robert Jordan did with his legendary Wheel of Time series, but I have to ask if its anywhere near as boring as most of Wheel of Time? I love that series, but any one of those books could easily have been cut down to 500 pages and not one shred of the story would be missing. Yes, that goes for all of the Wheel of Time's in my opinion, even the ones Brandon Sanderson wrote. I'm keeping in mind that his initial are indeed B.S. so I have to ask. :D
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:I've just started The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. It's his second novel I read (the other one being Warbreaker, which was really good too), other than his work on The Wheel of Time. So far, so good, but it's a LONG book.

You've got me very curious, brother. I've been hearing from several friends over the years that Brandon Sanderson has an incredible talent to suck in the reader to a long winded series simialar to what Robert Jordan did with his legendary Wheel of Time series, but I have to ask if its anywhere near as boring as most of Wheel of Time? I love that series, but any one of those books could easily have been cut down to 500 pages and not one shred of the story would be missing. Yes, that goes for all of the Wheel of Time's in my opinion, even the ones Brandon Sanderson wrote. I'm keeping in mind that his initial are indeed B.S. so I have to ask. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I'm only 100 pages into the book (from 1200+), but so far so good. This is apparently the epic fantasy story Brandon always wanted to write, and it's published by Tor (same publisher than for WoT). Can't tell if it's "boring as WoT" (I only found books 8 and 9 boring) or not yet, but I'll let you know... Once I finish it. Other books by Brandon Sanderson are Warbeaker (quite shorter and available as a free e-book in his website) and the Mistborn Trilogy (which I haven't read but I hear it's pretty good).

As for ItNotW, the Kingkiller saga is just 3 books long and only 2 are available now (apparently Roothfuss wrote the whole damn thing and edited it to become a trilogy. It's far shorter than any WoT or ASoIaF book, so maybe you'll like it. I found it very interesting, though I didn't like the main character*. The world setting is amazing, though.

*This opinion may change once I read the second book.

--
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for all that info! BTW, you didn't find book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) from Wheel of Time boring. It was like 1000 pages long and nothing happened!!!
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Thanks for all that info! BTW, you didn't find book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) from Wheel of Time boring. It was like 1000 pages long and nothing happened!!!

To be honest, I powered through the series in around 8 months, so the books are a blur in my head. I can't tell what happened in which book. :oops:

That being said, I do remember being bored around books 8-9, so maybe that includes book 10 too. Anyway, I think it's far easier to read them if you have the next book right there. I would have hated waiting years just to get Winter's Heart. :lol:

--
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah, I hear you. I started after Crossroads of Twilight came out, and then had to put the series down when I made it to the 6th book in 2005. I then picked it back up in 2010, and made it through 11 of them. Book 8 sucked, and book 9 was kinda boring until the end which I thought was great. Book 10 was the worst in the whole series. Book 11 was more tolerable like the 7th. Books 11 and 12 had more of a sense of urgency like books 2 and 3. I really need to finish the last one. I hear good things.
    Bloodycanadian
    Petty Officer

by Bloodycanadian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 pm

On a recent plane ride I actually started on World War Z. I have been missing out for these years.
    Now let's go get banjaxxed.
    Pyramus
    Crewman

by Pyramus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Wow I should have started reading this thread long ago... some good discussions!!!

Ayn Rand - If someone tells you that "Anne" Rand is great and that it's awesome to be selfish, they are one of the many self adsorbed douchebags that have marred her name (in more way than one). I loved Fountainhead but I have never gotten around to Atlas.

Patrick Rothfuss - Name of the Wind was SOOO good. On Wise Man's fear now. Well written, wonderful story. Probably one of the best "new" fantasy writers out there.

Dame of Thongs - George R R Martin is good, but the books are a bit slow. Some very interesting characters though that you don't get the full feel for in the show. However, the show does portray Daenarys Stormborn's breasts, and they are the best in the entire realm.

Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings - I made it about halfway through that tome, but it was sooo big I put it down and forgot what was going on. Good book but moved a bit slow and I don't have the heart to start it over.
    2013 Survivor, 2014 booked.
    Apocalyptica - Tristania - Nemesea - Dark Tranquillity - Lacuna Coil - Arch Enemy
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Now reading Stephen King's "Firestarter." Surprisingly better than it should be. Now I see why everyone was talking about him in the 80s.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Almost finished with book 1 of Wheel of Time!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 am

Just finished "Child of Vengeance". I forgot the author's name. The book was very Japanese. The main character was Musashi Miyamoto. Still, the best part was that the author repeatedly challenged the samurai ideology, by stating that they think too highly of death and dying. According to the author, death is not beautiful, and while it is good to face death with courage, it is foolish to run towards death in search of honor.

Right now, I'm reading a book called "Twelve Kingdoms". The beginning is very generic and iffy, with a regular japanese girl in highschool suddenly getting whisked away to a distant land/other dimension/fantasy world by a mysterious group of unknown servants who are trying to protect her from assassins. Still, I read in reviews that I shouldn't let the beginning dissuade me from continuing, so I'll see what happens next.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 am

Here's a fun question (that will also help me decide what to read next). What do you think will have a tv show/movie made of first? Dark Tower, or Wheel Of Time?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:30 am

Stained Class wrote:Here's a fun question (that will also help me decide what to read next). What do you think will have a tv show/movie made of first? Dark Tower, or Wheel Of Time?

Neither... but read WoT

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Here's a fun question (that will also help me decide what to read next). What do you think will have a tv show/movie made of first? Dark Tower, or Wheel Of Time?

Neither... but read WoT

Why do you think neither? They're both really popular from what I've noticed. Would it just be too big and require too big of a budget?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 am

Stained Class wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:

Neither... but read WoT

Why do you think neither? They're both really popular from what I've noticed. Would it just be too big and require too big of a budget?

I think the first three books from WoT could be make into 3-5 movies or maybe a TV series... THen the story gets too many characters and too many locations, so I think it's near to impossible to do it.

By the way, I read on Tor that Roothfus' In the Name of the Wind will be adapted for a TV series. I'm fairly optimistical on this. The story is simpler to adapt and it won't have such a MASSIVE casting...

--
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am

Hm maybe I should read that one next then. How long is it?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am

Yeah... it's just TOO big... way too much goin' on.
    And frankly, after seein' the train wreck that Sword Of Truth became as a TV series... well, I'd be really upset if that happened to WoT

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Stained Class wrote:Hm maybe I should read that one next then. How long is it?

Trilogy. Only 2 are out (hopefully next year the 3rd will come out). Easy to read; first is about 800 pages, second is about 1100, but it's a basically linear storyline told from only a single perspective, so it's super easy to follow!

Please check out my band

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Hm ok I'll hammer that one down before I start on Wheel Of Time. Gotta be ahead of the TV crowd for once :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
Post Reply 880 posts