Post Reply 880 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

What book are you reading at the moment ?

by wildchild » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:23 am

I´m reading Image one of the funniest books I ever read ! You cannot but love Ozzy, the crazy things this man has done, the accidents, the amount of drugs and booze he has consumed, I´m as surprised as Ozzy that he´s still alive ! But I´m glad he is still here to entertain us ( well . me anyway )

Here´s an extract from the book :

On January 20, 1982, we played the Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines.

The gig was going great. The God-like hand was working without any hitches. We’d already hung the midget.

Then, from out of the audience came this bat. Obviously a toy, I thought.

So I held it up to the lights and bared my teeth while Randy played one of his solos. The crowd went mental.

Then I did what I always did when we got a rubber toy on stage.

CHOMP.

Immediately, though, something felt wrong. Very wrong.

For a start, my mouth was instantly full of this warm, gloopy liquid, with the worst aftertaste you could ever imagine. I could feel it staining my teeth and running down my chin.

Then the head in my mouth twitched.

Oh, f*** me I thought. I didn’t just go and eat a f***ing bat, did I?

So I spat out the head, looked over into the wings, and saw Sharon with her eyes bulging, waving her hands, screaming: “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT’S REAL, OZZY, IT’S REAL!”

Next thing I knew I was in a wheelchair, being rushed into an emergency room.

Every night for the rest of the tour I had to find a doctor and get rabies shots: one in each arse cheek, one in each thigh, one in each arm. I had more holes in me than a lump of f***ing Swiss cheese. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the bat got his revenge :lol:
    I will stop reading the book now as I´ll have 14 hrs to kill on the flight over to Miami ( will probabaly get some funny looks though, from my fellow passengers when I break into uncontrolable laughter and giggles ) :metalguy: :party:
    Last edited by wildchild on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: What are you reading at the moment ?

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 am

Definitely picking that one up in the not too distant future!

Currently reading book 2 (or book 8 of 9) in the 3rd trilogy of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Epic fantasy stuff that's taken some interesting turns in this recent installment. Looking forward to more and should probably grab book 3 before I head out of town next weekend.

Also reading miscellaneous spiritual/academic stuff by the likes of Dion Fortune, Donald Kraig, Israel Regardie and a lesser-known favourite, Ellen Cannon Reed.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Definitely picking that one up in the not too distant future!

Currently reading book 2 (or book 8 of 9) in the 3rd trilogy of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Epic fantasy stuff that's taken some interesting turns in this recent installment. Looking forward to more and should probably grab book 3 before I head out of town next weekend.

Also reading miscellaneous spiritual/academic stuff by the likes of Dion Fortune, Donald Kraig, Israel Regardie and a lesser-known favourite, Ellen Cannon Reed.

Have The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (3 in 1 edition) sitting on my shelf but have yet to read it.

Currently reading Dreadnought by Cherie Priest. It's a steampunk adventure set during the American civil war but with flying machines and zombies and stuff. Good fun! :D

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:34 am

wildchild, I just bought a few autobiographies with Christmas money, including "I Am Ozzy." Just got it in the mail from Amazon a couple days ago! It looks amazing!

Others I just bought to read, bring on the trip:

Off the Rails - Rudy Sarzo
    White Line Fever - Lemmy
    Long Hard Road out of Hell - Marilyn Manson
    Losing it - Valerie Bertinelli
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    sabaton
    Petty Officer

by sabaton » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 am

I`m reading the forum right now !
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 am

metalgoddess wrote:wildchild, I just bought a few autobiographies with Christmas money, including "I Am Ozzy." Just got it in the mail from Amazon a couple days ago! It looks amazing!

Others I just bought to read, bring on the trip:

Off the Rails - Rudy Sarzo
    White Line Fever - Lemmy
    Long Hard Road out of Hell - Marilyn Manson
    Losing it - Valerie Bertinelli

I love reading autobiographies and have a few in my collection.
    I AM OZZY - Ozzy Osbourne Hilarious but also sad at times
    White Line Fever-Lemmy Was quite funny ,asking his former girlfriends to get in touch if they read the book :lol: ( also the mentioning of my friend´s dad Harry Feeney whom he played with in " The Rocking Vicars ( brought me back some fun memories from when I lived in England )
    Long Hard Road out of Hell - Marilyn Manson Interesting book, but made me feel sick at times
    SLASH - Slash Wonderful book
    The Dirt - Mötley Crüe Very entertaining
    Tommyland - Tommy Lee Funny
    EXTREME - Sharon Osbourne Interesting and funny
    No one here gets out alive - Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman Very interesting book about Jim Morrison and the Doors
    Welcome to the Jungle - Guns´n´Roses On my bookshelf, yet to read
    Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx On my bookshelf, yet to read
    High Voltage - Kat von D Great Pics
    The hardest ( working ) man in showbiz - Ron Jeremy Pretty pathetic, just namedropping and not much more
    Star+ Starstruck More fiction than autobiography

Other autobiographies I´ve read but a long long time ago
    Janis Joplin
    Elvis
    Charlie Chaplin
    Linda Lovelace
    Tina Turner
    Traci Lords
    Marilyn Monroe

I think I´ll just bring ozzy on the trip as I don´t think i will have the time to read once I hit the grounds of Miami...so close now :D :D :D
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:40 am

wildchild wrote:Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx On my bookshelf, yet to read

Drop what you're doing & read it now! It wasn't funny like The Dirt. It was heart wrenching. A very quick, easy read, but it definitely conveys all the paranoia, hollowness, illness, & literal highs & lows Nikki experienced during that year. I loved it.
    D E C K 6
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:43 am

It´s definitely on my list to read after Ozzy...have heard so many great reviews about it !
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:53 am

I will soon be reading :

"John Dies at the End…[is] a case of the author trying to depict actual, soul-sucking lunacy, and succeeding with flying colors." –Fangoria

:D
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 am

I am currently reading three books, haha, :ugeek: "My Goat Ate Its Own Legs" by Alex Burrett, re-reading "The Hot Zone" for a second time, & re-reading "Watership Down" for probably the sixth time.

"My Goat Ate Its Own Legs" is an extremely funny collection of short, weird, & kinda morbid stories. My favorite one so far is one about a revered painter who kills his mentor & uses his bodily fluids to paint his greatest masterpiece. There's also another one about a couple that, during sex, becomes fused together. The stories are really well thought out & all are set up kind of like fables, where you take something away from them at the end. DEFINITELY NEED TO READ THIS, GUYS!!!

The Hot Zone, if you haven't heard about it, is the true story of how there was an Ebola virus outbreak in a suburb of Washington D.C. in the late 80's. It is EASILY the most horrifying book I've ever read because of my odd interest with disease. ***CAUTION*** It goes into GREAT detail of what happens to the body when it becomes infected with a filovirus. If you can't stomach reading about the human body liquefying while the person is still alive...Well, I probably wouldn't read it if I were you.

Watership Down. What can I say? I love that book. :D
    D E C K 6
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:57 am

Daenerys wrote:I will soon be reading :

"John Dies at the End…[is] a case of the author trying to depict actual, soul-sucking lunacy, and succeeding with flying colors." –Fangoria

I wonder how it ends?

I just finished reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It was absurd and it was enormous (479,198 words) but it was a fun read.

I'm currently working through Paradise Lost by John Milton.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:I will soon be reading :

I just finished reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It was absurd and it was enormous (479,198 words) but it was a fun read.

Another one of my favorites. A really good author. Its a shame he offed himself last year =/
    D E C K 6
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:15 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I just finished reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It was absurd and it was enormous (479,198 words) but it was a fun read.

Another one of my favorites. A really good author. Its a shame he offed himself last year =/

Apparently, the (unfinished) novel he was working on at the time he killed himself is going to be released this year.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote: A really good author. Its a shame he offed himself last year =/

0.o How did I not hear about that?? Apparently (according to the Wiki gods) they're making a movie too:
    As of October 21, 2010, a film adaptation of the book is being produced under director Don Coscarelli, and will be starring several newcomer actors as well as Paul Giamatti and Clancy Brown."
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 am

mooyagi wrote:
    AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I just finished reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It was absurd and it was enormous (479,198 words) but it was a fun read.

Apparently, the (unfinished) novel he was working on at the time he killed himself is going to be released this year.

I hadn't heard! Pretty interested in reading that now.
    D E C K 6
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 am

Daenerys wrote:
    AlabastRDisastR wrote: A really good author. Its a shame he offed himself last year =/

0.o How did I not hear about that?? Apparently (according to the Wiki gods) they're making a movie too:
    As of October 21, 2010, a film adaptation of the book is being produced under director Don Coscarelli, and will be starring several newcomer actors as well as Paul Giamatti and Clancy Brown."

I hope it won't be made into a movie. I can't see any good coming out of it.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 am

The Subtitles on GTO(Great Teacher Onizuke)
    Best anime ever
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:23 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:

I hope it won't be made into a movie. I can't see any good coming out of it.

Yea. I'm not really keen on this idea. :?
    D E C K 6
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:44 am

sabaton wrote:I`m reading the forum right now !

Beat me to the blatantly obvious punch. Thank you for letting me off the hook ;)

I always want to read, then I realize I'm too lazy and can never seem to concentrate long enough to actually care. I know I can and will enjoy it, just a matter of getting over the hump and actually doing it.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Metalwrath wrote:The Subtitles on GTO(Great Teacher Onizuke)
    Best anime ever

Word!

I'm reading the Kalevala right now. Getting versed in my Finnish mythos. Also blasting through Clark Ashton Smith yarns in between Runos.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:08 pm

I don't really have the time to read, so I've been getting audiobooks from audible.com

Last book i heard was Daniel Suarez "Deamon." Fantastic book if your a fan of thrills and tech.

Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
  • Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:32 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    wildchild wrote:Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx On my bookshelf, yet to read

Drop what you're doing & read it now! It wasn't funny like The Dirt. It was heart wrenching. A very quick, easy read, but it definitely conveys all the paranoia, hollowness, illness, & literal highs & lows Nikki experienced during that year. I loved it.

I'm taking this to read on the plane! I loved The Dirt.
    Cabin 5565 \m/
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by Jaimie38 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 am

Will be reading "The Making of Slap Shot-Greatest movie ever about hockey

USing my Blind Guardian ticket stub as a book mark!!
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 am

I'm reading "Last Watch". The last book in the Night Watch series.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm reading the first book in the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Evican wrote:I'm reading the first book in the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Only another 12 books to go after that :lol:

P.S. Haven't read any myself. Too much patience required.

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Ravenlord wrote:Only another 12 books to go after that :lol:

12 for now, soon to be 13! (Or maybe 14, not sure)

I don't read on a daily basis or anything like that unless the book has got me hooked and this one hasn't yet. But apparently you have to get almost three quarters of the way through until that happens. :lol:
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

I don't read when I'm at home. Just can't keep my attention to it. So I always read when I'm on vacation.

Still got a couple on the shelf...like Edward Bernays' Propaganda.
    Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:47 pm

I just finished Stephen King's newest collection 'Full Dark, No Stars'. Really strong group of 4 stories.
    Currently I'm into the Unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise. Still trying to decide what else to bring on vacation with me, I have a stack of books in my "on deck" pile, including: bios on Miles Davis, Prince, and Frank Sinatra. Autobiographies from Sydney Sheldon and Jerry Lewis (about his time with Dean Martin). Anne Rice's 'Christ the Lord', 'The Road' by Cormack McCarthy, "Dog Years" by Gunter Grass, ugh- too many. I gotta start reading books instead of just buying them.
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:52 pm

hodgy wrote:I just finished Stephen King's newest collection 'Full Dark, No Stars'. Really strong group of 4 stories.
    Currently I'm into the Unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise. Still trying to decide what else to bring on vacation with me, I have a stack of books in my "on deck" pile, including: bios on Miles Davis, Prince, and Frank Sinatra. Autobiographies from Sydney Sheldon and Jerry Lewis (about his time with Dean Martin). Anne Rice's 'Christ the Lord', 'The Road' by Cormack McCarthy, "Dog Years" by Gunter Grass, ugh- too many. I gotta start reading books instead of just buying them.

Same here, I tend to buy a lot of books and then they just sit on the bookshelf unread....mostly due to lack of time...but they´re good to have when travelling to pass the time till you get to your destination...
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Nice thread! Since I work in a library - I end up reading/scanning bits and snippits of many books on a daily basis. It helps that most of my favorite subjects are covered in the specialized department I work in - all of the visual and performing arts including historical costume, dance, painting, sculpture, architecture, theater, film, television, photography, decorative arts, crafts, fashion, printmaking, drawing, and last but not least music. A few books that were recently added to our collections that I really like are:
    Through the Eyes of the Vikings: An Aerial Vision of Arctic Land
    Complete Architecture of Adler and Sullivan (Important early Chicago firm)

Everything in our department is non-fiction - can't say I read much fiction - maybe when I retire ;) .
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Ravenlord wrote:
    Evican wrote:I'm reading the first book in the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Yeahhhhh, I got through like book 6 of that series... and then Jordan up and died, so I quit reading haha. I've heard the guy who finished the series for him did a good job though. The thing that really made me quit reading Jordan though was how he feels the need to write every book so that someone who hasn't read the books in the beginning of the series will know everything that's going on; i.e. his books are wayyyy too redundant. If you get bored with Jordan, switch to GRRM or Terry Goodkind :beerwink:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 am

Daenerys wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:

Yeahhhhh, I got through like book 6 of that series... and then Jordan up and died, so I quit reading haha. I've heard the guy who finished the series for him did a good job though. The thing that really made me quit reading Jordan though was how he feels the need to write every book so that someone who hasn't read the books in the beginning of the series will know everything that's going on; i.e. his books are wayyyy too redundant. If you get bored with Jordan, switch to GRRM or Terry Goodkind :beerwink:

Good to know. I have Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Perhaps I should start that next.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 am

gnoff wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Definitely picking that one up in the not too distant future!

Are there 3 trilogies with him?

I only have 2.

Unless they've done something with the Swedish versioons and compiled them into 6 books instead?

Good stuff anyhow.

The first two were written many years ago (20+?) and the latest one, ummm... I'm on book 2 of it and it came out October 2007. Not a lot of promotion for writers so I was just lucky to stumble across news of it online last year.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am

gnoff wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:The first two were written many years ago (20+?) and the latest one, ummm... I'm on book 2 of it and it came out October 2007. Not a lot of promotion for writers so I was just lucky to stumble across news of it online last year.

Well there you go, then I have something new to try and get my hands on :)
    I've read the "Mordant" books too from him, sort of the same style with our world and alternate worlds, anti heroes and such.
    Edit:
    The sci-fi book store in Sweden has the "first 3" books of the last chronicles, they state it looks to be 4 books.

Speaking of sci-fi and Donaldson in the same post, have you read his sci-fi series? 5 books called the Gap Series beginning with one called The Real Story... Most enjoyable read of my life. Will probably read them for the 4th time sometime this year.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 am

gnoff wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Speaking of sci-fi and Donaldson in the same post, have you read his sci-fi series? 5 books called the Gap Series beginning with one called The Real Story... Most enjoyable read of my life. Will probably read them for the 4th time sometime this year.

Nope, never seen them around, but sounds like I should check that out too :)

Yeah, since he completed the Gap, he wrote a bunch of detective novels that I held high hopes for since he'd demonstrated such an art for genre-jumping. They were good but nothing spectacular. Probably why he went back and wrote another trilogy in the Covenant world. I've never been a sci-fi fan but, even though I really dig the Covenant stuff, as well as Mordant and Daugher of Regals etc, I think the Gap was his ultimate 'masterpiece'. Very dark at times and certainly not for everyone but just some of the most 'real' characters I've ever encountered in print fiction.

raoul volfoni
    Crewman

by raoul volfoni » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm reading

Life Boat for dummies :death: :death:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 pm

raoul volfoni wrote:I'm reading

Life Boat for dummies :death: :death:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Shadow Warrior - Dave Everett

mad book, couldnt put it down!!
    Winging it in the west (Western Australia that is)
    Room 3612
    Black Metal - The best metal - Emperor FOREVER
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Currently reading book 2 (or book 8 of 9) in the 3rd trilogy of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Epic fantasy stuff that's taken some interesting turns in this recent installment. Looking forward to more and should probably grab book 3 before I head out of town next weekend.

My Dad has the whole series and he is forever telling me that I need to read them. I think that he's read the lot a fair few times, but reminds me that TC is very frustrating because of the decisions he makes, so one must persevere with him.
Post Reply 880 posts