Post Reply 2418 posts
The Fitness Thread
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

The Fitness Thread

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Ok who is on the 9 month Cruise to Lose with me. I lost 10 lbs but need to lose around 20 more (But I am the only one who thinks this..)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Schluckspecht666
    Petty Officer

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Schluckspecht666 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Are we trying to get ripped for the pool deck...? :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

I needed some motivation to get "back on the exercise wagon", so the cruise was it. Besides causing all the females to wag their tongues, it will help me fit into the 5-6 metal shirts I have left. Apparently I was "smaller" during the early 90's.

So far I've been to 3 yoga classes and 1 "spin" (cardio cycling) class in the past week. I think the music they play during the "spin" class is harder than spending 45 minutes on a bicycle. :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm in!

After a couple of glorious years of swilling beer every night and eating tons of fast food, I decided in January 2009 to get my ass into gear and try to get back into shape. I made it through the first half of the year strong and eventually dropped 35 lbs., 235 to 200 (can't believe I let myself get that bloated, but man it was a hell of a ride and a good time!). Unfortunately I slacked on exercising the rest of last year and started gaining back. I started up again this January. Even with the exercise and avoiding fast food for the most part, I am not losing anything and am hovering around 210 lbs...

Think I need to mix up my routine and start running (gasp) to jump start things. We'll see how it goes... I'd like to get back to college weight (around 175), but methinks that horizon shall not be seen again. I think 190 would be reasonable for my old bones..
    Have a good time...all the time.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:13 pm

If I was 210 I'd be skin and bones.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:20 pm

That is my goal weight 210. I am 228 right now. But I am tall (6'3")

Glad to see others motivated with me. The biggest losers. Hehehe

This 580 calorie Triple dry dirty martini is probably not a good idea. After I eat I am going to go on a 4 mile walk/jog
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:51 pm

My husband and I are in on this. Not gonna post any numbers, dammit.
    Let's just say things haven't been the same since our little girl was born over 18 months ago for EITHER of us.

Best of luck to us all. Now let's sweat! :metalguy:

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:54 pm

The hardest part in my last semi-successful quest was giving up beer for a few months. Along with Arizona Iced Tea. That sucked. Water just doesn't quite cut it for me, though it definitely helped shed the lbs.!

Good luck to all!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:00 pm

junkhead13 wrote:The hardest part in my last semi-successful quest was giving up beer for a few months. Along with Arizona Iced Tea. That sucked. Water just doesn't quite cut it for me, though it definitely helped shed the lbs.!

Good luck to all!

Liquor isn't my problem at all (since I rarely if ever drink). Heck, healthly food isn't really a problem either, since we buy as much organic and from farmer's markets. All I really drink is water too.

It's just a matter of: NOT eating too much and NOT sitting around like a lummix :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    sideways
    Petty Officer

by sideways » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:51 pm

junkhead13 wrote:The hardest part in my last semi-successful quest was giving up beer for a few months. Along with Arizona Iced Tea. That sucked. Water just doesn't quite cut it for me, though it definitely helped shed the lbs.!

Good luck to all!

that would be the hardest part. The beer is what get's me :party: . It's too damn tasty! apparently if you eat lots of fibre then you will have to eat less and stay fuller for longer... that's some motherly advice.
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:33 pm

im in.
    Winging it in the west (Western Australia that is)
    Room 3612
    Black Metal - The best metal - Emperor FOREVER
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Sign me up! I've now lost 17 pounds in the past 3.5 weeks from 215 to 198. Been doing the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox cleanse for the past 10 days or so just because I'd heard good things and never done one. I only have 2 days left but it's really helped by forcing me off of breads, dairy sugars and basically any processed foods. I tend to live off frozen pre-made stuff that just can't hold a candle to fresh prepared home cooking. This cleanse thing also demands 20% meat and 80% veggies or fruit for any given meal so that's pretty wise too as I'm usually more 60/40 meat/veggies if any veggies at all.

A couple other suggestions I can add to help others would include:

- The obvious, LOTS of water (I've been around 3 litres/day lately)
    - Put away your big dinner plates and eat your big meals on your smaller, side plates (seriously, this makes a major difference in portion sizes as well as perception)
    - Never eat until "full". Try eating half your normal portion then see how you feel 20 minutes later. You'll probably feel full.
    - Eat several small meals per day as opposed to just two huge meals at breakfast and dinner. Snacking on fruits and veggies all day is the best way to shift this behaviour
    - Don't let the exercise part be a negative. It's SO true that anything is better than nothing. Just getting off the couch and going for a 30 minute walk around the neighbourhood after dinner each night will burn calories. Many people hurt for days after first going to the gym for real workouts so pace yourself as that pain or an injury can be very discouraging.
    - Speaking of injuries, contrary to what many of us were taught, current info says NOT to stretch before exercising, only after. Stretching cold muscles is bad and contributes to problems. Before exercising, a warm up should consist of just that, warming up the muscles. Just do any repetitive movements of the muscles you intend to utilize but make them big, exaggerated versions of the moves you'll be making during your workout. Save the big static stretching for after your workout as this helps release the lactic acid that builds up in the muscles during exertion.
    - Find a workout that works for you. Some of us have never enjoyed any kinds of exercise so this may be tougher than it sounds but just try lots of things. Cardio and resistance training are the two most effective types but there are many ways to get your cardio. The weight room doesn't have to be intimidating or competitive either. Don't focus on those who are lifting more than you or anything like that. The only purpose served by seeing what others are doing at the gym is for education and inspiration, not humiliation!
    - Add music to your workouts! Some days the only reason I get the least bit stoked about hitting the treadmill is because of the music I'm loading onto my phone to listen to while running :)

I'll add more if and as I think of them. Good luck everyone (even though luck has shit to do with it lol)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 am

Actually ironically i'm trying to put on more weight.
    Been starting to jog and do weights etc.
    Basically trying to increase my body size and increase my general fitness seeming as i've never worked out in my entire life :lol:
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:19 am

haha. Having to gain weight is a situation I would love to be in! The pizza, beer and ice cream would be flowing non-stop...

Though I suppose you want to gain weight the healthy way (exercising & bulking up).

Would be fun to go on a free-for-all though!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:45 am

Metalwrath wrote:Actually ironically i'm trying to put on more weight.
    Been starting to jog and do weights etc.
    Basically trying to increase my body size and increase my general fitness seeming as i've never worked out in my entire life :lol:

Your goals aren't something I've looked into a lot MW so take this with a grain of salt but my first instincts would be to do much less cardio (jogging) and more resistance training (weights). Unless you have athletic goals that involve running, lots of cardio doesn't fit your stated goals. You want to curve your eating habits towards heavy protein and carbs (not sure when exactly in terms of your workouts but you can research it - likely most protein after workouts but probably throughout your days), and do workouts that are more about smaller numbers of reps but with heavier weights. It's all about ripping the existing muscles and making room for more to move in then building them up with protein (or something like that).

For example, with my goals of weight loss, I might do 3 sets of a certain exercise consisting of 15 - 20 reps of X weight. Conversely, your workout would be more like 3 sets of 6 - 8 reps of 2X weight (as much as you can so that by rep 8 you're spent). Then, while my goal is to add just enough weight to be able to continue with sets of 15+ reps, you would want to add enough so that you're spent at 6, shooting for 8 and then add some more.

Any of this stuff is really about combining the appropriate exercise(s) with the dietary intake that fits your goals and your body type. That's basically it but I must repeat, check other sources (and even a doctor) before starting a new routine. I'm very much an amateur at this stuff. Good luck.

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 am

Yeah i'm not gonna do much jogging to be honest as i know it will counteract what i am trying to achieve.
    Bell
    Petty Officer

by Bell » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 am

I too am on a mission to gain weight. Always been a tall and skinny guy, but wanted to look better in my sleeveless 80s metal band shirts... so doing some weights and eating better. So far so good!
    Dark Dreams
    Petty Officer

by Dark Dreams » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:40 am

Bell wrote:I too am on a mission to gain weight. Always been a tall and skinny guy, but wanted to look better in my sleeveless 80s metal band shirts... so doing some weights and eating better. So far so good!

Aye thats the problem about being 6ft 2.Harder to get your body proportion right.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Down 8lbs so far. Weighing myself again this weekend, so hoping to have lost another 6-10lbs. Been eating great and going to the gym 5 days a week for the past few weeks. I have the opposite problem that Metalwrath does ( also 6'2") :lol:

:deathmetal:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm

KevinP wrote:Been eating great and going to the gym 5 days a week for the past few weeks.

Nice work! I won my weight loss challenge with my buddies and have since been gorging on crap food and doing nothing but sitting on my ass and putting pounds back on :oops:

Maddy77
    Crewman
    Location: Vienna now, of German origin (No! I don't want Hasselhoff) and one foot in The Netherlands :)

by Maddy77 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:17 am

Whoops, just saw this thread and join you guys in a second. I've lost 22 lbs since January and there's some more to be lost until the cruise ;)
    Headbanging on Deck 4
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:37 am

Maddy77 wrote:Whoops, just saw this thread and join you guys in a second. I've lost 22 lbs since January and there's some more to be lost until the cruise ;)

Excellent! An inspiration boost for me. :beerwink:

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 am

Okay that's it... Free Keg feast on Friday night and it's back to the treadmill for this old puppy!! Thanks girls :party:

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

My drummer lost 82lbs doing the P90X workout program (I think it has to do with muscle confusion). For anyone up to the challenge.. it apparently works!!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Rizza
    Oiler

by Rizza » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:41 am

I'm in! I've been hitting up the gym 4-5 times a week for the past month or so in an attempt to look halfway decent for the cruise.
    Born to live forever more.

DrAmygdala
    Petty Officer

by DrAmygdala » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm not looking to lose much weight (just a few pounds) I'm mostly trying to tone a bit since over the past year I've lost all discipline for exercise. It's pretty sad actually since I used to work at a gym and now I'm sitting all day in an office.
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm

One of my jobs is personal trainer - I have a degree in kinesiology, am a Certified Exercise Physiologist
    That's the sort of stuff I need to know
    http://csep.ca/english/view.asp?x=748

Happy to answer questions from metalheads on here, gotta make sure we're all chiseled vikings for the trip, there's a lot of BS out there (my responses may be extremely delayed though :P)
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Kittledags
    Oiler

by Kittledags » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Time to stroke e-penises. Photo progression go!

2 years ago 340

3 weeks ago 280

ON MY WAY!
    Last name Ever, first name Greatest
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Nice work sir!! Ya must be pretty tall too cuz your 280 looks quite similar in shape and muscle mass to my 200 :headbanger:

• Schluckspecht666
    Petty Officer

by Schluckspecht666 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:20 am

Kittledags wrote:

Wait a couple of weeks to put that shirt on again...

Remember 4 years ago...

Revenge... FUCKING revenge...
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:44 pm

Drooped another 6lbs the past 2 weeks. Was hoping for 10lbs, but oh well.

Ben & Jerry's Peanut Brittle ice cream tonight (only 1/2 cup). :deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Jemstar
    Oiler

by Jemstar » Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 pm

junkhead13 wrote: I'd like to get back to college weight (around 175)

This. Actually, it was around 180 for me, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get down to 175. I'm less concerned about the number and more concerned with being less jiggly, though.

I was doing the 30-Day Shred until my knees rebelled. It's been Wii Fit and random strength stuff since then.
    4045... hopefully?
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Mon May 03, 2010 12:33 am

I've found the best way to lose weight and maintain it is running. I took up running about 2 years ago and I think I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my 43 years.

I'm running my first half marathon in Indianapolis this weekend. I've never ran that far yet, but there's a first time for everything.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 05, 2010 2:06 pm

My new office building has a wicked gym 1 floor down; was there for a few hours after work yesterday. Not having to pay for a gym membership for the win!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

grimmy82
    Petty Officer

by grimmy82 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Not trying to lose weight (i'm skinny enough) but trying to get the six pack abs back. My abs should be like Manowar..made out of steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!
    I better start now!
    Manowar wrote:Come here! REMOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUR GARMENTS!

DragonLordJones wrote:judge no 2

oh by the way I'm partially blind so I hope they come in braille :cheers: :lol:
    Maddy77
    Crewman
    Location: Vienna now, of German origin (No! I don't want Hasselhoff) and one foot in The Netherlands :)

by Maddy77 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:35 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Okay that's it... Free Keg feast on Friday night and it's back to the treadmill for this old puppy!! Thanks girls :party:

Glad to be of service :lol:

Yeah, running is the best for me too. Should really start with it again. Also going to boxing classes regularly. Well, at least I didn't gain any weight during my vacation which I suppose is a success :headbanger: .
    Headbanging on Deck 4
    nymphet
    Petty Officer

by nymphet » Sun May 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Good luck to you all losers.

Best is to have goals and plan ahead for obstacles...since the cruise is right after the X-Mas and all the other holiday season...heh heh heh really good luck.
    A "metal heart" is hard to break apart.
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 pm

I need to get my ass in gear. I keep telling myself I'm going to go on a diet, but I have zero will power. I want to lose 30lbs. MUST.
    TRY.
    HARDER.
    D E C K 6
    nymphet
    Petty Officer

by nymphet » Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Alright losers! How are we doin? How was you weekend? did you blow it off or did you stay on track?

I was smashed after the news of Dio... I knew I had to overcome my depression and what helped me is thinking how full of life, energy and passion HE WAS!!!
    The saddest part of it all was that he wasn't done at all. He did not consider stopping any time...soon... He did what he loved and believed and never stopped! He persevered and succeeded to bring us altogether in metal always.

So, here it is. There is more than the psiological aspect to the weight loss. That is the emotional balance.
    Also what gets measured gets improved.
    Then KEEP A JOURNAL.
    Write down:
    1) Your goal
    2) Your activity of what counts to achieve it
    3) Emotional challenges (no limit to how long or short. Nobody else has to read this.)

Oh, I know, keeping a journal may sound lame. But it is not BS. There are many studies that prove the success of journaling. Moreover, most great minds had so much journaling done in the history.

I give great advice. I will follow it, too. I am going to go ahead and do this... :cool: I had a good weekend overall in the weight management aspect after all.
    A "metal heart" is hard to break apart.
Post Reply 2418 posts