Post Reply 2419 posts
The Fitness Thread
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: The Fitness Thread

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm

WizardBeast wrote:hot yoga makes ya lose more water via sweat, and it also allows your muscles to get looser. i'd say try it and see if you dig it. personally, i sweat enough in normal yoga, but i'm a sweaty beast. yoga's just great whether you wanna lose weight or not! just do it!

i am down a total of 8 lbs now since Barge! i got 3 bikinis waitin' to bust out, all on sale, i hope i'm brave enough.

Woo hoo !

Yes you are correct on the hot yoga... this girl i go to school with does it and lost a lot of weight .
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Alex is a personal trainer, so I'm inclined to beleive him, BUT I'm with Rhia that you would lose more through sweat. Alex, care to offer an explanation?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Stained Class wrote:Alex is a personal trainer, so I'm inclined to beleive him, BUT I'm with Rhia that you would lose more through sweat. Alex, care to offer an explanation?

you do lose weight via sweat but its water weight and you need to drink a lot of water to replenish fluids /electrolytes that are lost
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Stained Class wrote:Alex is a personal trainer, so I'm inclined to beleive him, BUT I'm with Rhia that you would lose more through sweat. Alex, care to offer an explanation?

I'm taking a dinner break from plowing through the last Wheel of Time book; I'm not in citation mode :P

So yeah, don't get me wrong, you'll certainly lose weight during the session, perhaps more than you would from laying on a towel in the direct sun on a humid day, but once you rehydrate your body to anything resembling a healthy status there won't be much difference. It's a temporary difference, just like pro hockey players losing height during a game due to spinal compression and then return to normal during sleep. Fat is stored energy - and think subjectively about what takes more energy to do - going for an hour run, or holding a handful of positions for an hour? I do hot yoga myself as I can never motivate myself to stretch without the eye candy of hot yoga, but I don't expect any other benefits. A muscle can be strengthened isometrically (a contraction without movement) but it will increase strength only in that range of motion - no carry over to anything more functional.

So again I'm not bashing yoga, because it has several useful outcomes - just not near the amount of weight loss per hour as if a person was to do a more vigorous, full-body workout.

Others might say it raises the metabolism. It does if you get into decimal points, but nothing significant compared to interval training or any other intense exercise.

Apologies, those are more me spouting off stuff without backup. I can provide later if anyone wants.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Well, as I mentioned on the previous page, a few days ago I bought 2 discounted bundles of classes at a Yoga place & a women's fitness club through Groupon and took my first hour class tonight (after at least a 16 year hiatus). I was going to do a yoga class, but ended up going to the fitness club for a class that was more or less what I'd call a "body sculpting class." It entailed exercises & movements that targeted various parts of the body - abs, arms, thighs, and so on using free weights at times ...combined with stretching at some intervals. It felt pretty good actually and I'm happy to report I held my own against that room full of college-aged gals! ;) I kid you not, I walked in there and every single person was under 22....and that kinda made me groan in my mind and feel pretty out of place at first. ;) Well, anyway...it was challenging, but certainly not impossible - I'm sure I'll feel sore tomorrow though.

What I liked about the class was the idea of working all those muscle groups in a targeted way. I'm fairly active in terms of moving around a lot in the course of my day, and I do walk the 4.5 miles to work (morning only though - always take the train home) when I allow enough time and it's not too cold (unfortunately that is most of the long winter here, but plan to walk to work on Friday when it will be near 50)....but the kind of muscle work done in a class like that, I know I don't naturally do in the course of an average day.

I also realized tonight that I have lost of a fair amount of flexibility....don't know if that's a general aging thing for most people or not. I used to be able to do the splits and stuff like that as a kid & in high school, but I remember having to do a lot of stretching (in dance class, pom-pom & such) to get there and maintain that flexibility. I don't necessarily feel a pressing need to be able to do the splits again :lol: - but more stretching would be good I think.

In short, I think the key is to keep trying the different classes these two places offer (plan to go to at least 2 a week), walk when I can, and do a few other things I have in mind. As I said earlier, I'm satisfied with my weight as is (my doctor thinks it's ideal for my frame, height & age), so I'm not doing any of this for a weight loss reason - but, rather to stay more fit overall and hopefully healthy as possible as the years go on. ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:Blumpkn-

agree 100 % !!! When I was in Paris in 1997 I had to go to McDonalds and have a "Royal w/Cheese" (A quarter pounder w/cheese in america) and felt odd /off afterwards, the meat tasted way weird. Then a couple of days later I ate a $20 burger at Hard Rock Cafe- Paris and it was DELICIOUS. The meat was amazing. This was during the mad cow outbreak :lol

I'll bet you didn't get sick after eating that giant burger.
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 am

alex_canada wrote:

I'm taking a dinner break from plowing through the last Wheel of Time book; I'm not in citation mode :P

So yeah, don't get me wrong, you'll certainly lose weight during the session, perhaps more than you would from laying on a towel in the direct sun on a humid day, but once you rehydrate your body to anything resembling a healthy status there won't be much difference. It's a temporary difference, just like pro hockey players losing height during a game due to spinal compression and then return to normal during sleep. Fat is stored energy - and think subjectively about what takes more energy to do - going for an hour run, or holding a handful of positions for an hour? I do hot yoga myself as I can never motivate myself to stretch without the eye candy of hot yoga, but I don't expect any other benefits. A muscle can be strengthened isometrically (a contraction without movement) but it will increase strength only in that range of motion - no carry over to anything more functional.

So again I'm not bashing yoga, because it has several useful outcomes - just not near the amount of weight loss per hour as if a person was to do a more vigorous, full-body workout.

Others might say it raises the metabolism. It does if you get into decimal points, but nothing significant compared to interval training or any other intense exercise.

Apologies, those are more me spouting off stuff without backup. I can provide later if anyone wants.

Alex, do you lose any weight from the actual act of sweating? In other words, does sweating itself burn any calories?

Also, it seems a lot of yoga instructors are quite slim and fit in the sense that they have very little body fat. Is this because yoga does a good job at making a person lose fat and slim down as opposed to bulking up (like you can see with plenty of weightlifters)?
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 am

Laura wrote:I also realized tonight that I have lost of a fair amount of flexibility....don't know if that's a general aging thing for most people or not. I used to be able to do the splits and stuff like that as a kid & in high school, but I remember having to do a lot of stretching (in dance class, pom-pom & such) to get there and maintain that flexibility. I don't necessarily feel a pressing need to be able to do the splits again :lol: - but more stretching would be good I think.

In short, I think the key is to keep trying the different classes these two places offer (plan to go to at least 2 a week), walk when I can, and do a few other things I have in mind. As I said earlier, I'm satisfied with my weight as is (my doctor thinks it's ideal for my frame, height & age), so I'm not doing any of this for a weight loss reason - but, rather to stay more fit overall and hopefully healthy as possible as the years go on. ;)

Flexibility is definitely something to invest some time in. It helps a person prevent injuries and immobility, and I think it's quite overrated. No one wants to be stiff, just like no one wants to be fat -- well, except sumo wrestlers, but even they work on their flexibility a lot more than most people might know.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:58 am

Blumpkin - I would totally agree that most yoga instructors tend to be very slender, fit people (no matter how old they are - I'm talking about women here since most I've had were female) - at least that was my impression when I took yoga years ago. What I also noticed was the tendency for people I knew who were big in the yoga community were also big into eating super healthy, they practiced meditation, believed in holistic medicine, the mind-body connection....all that good positive stuff. In short, people you could picture at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, California :P http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esalen_Institute (a place I'd love to visit someday in fact!).

It seems that optimal wellness/health (whether one is 20 or 50 or 80) is usually (always?) due to a combination of many things. Having said that - it is no foolproof safeguard against cancer, dementia, and other diseases & health problems that occur more frequently in older populations. But I agree very much with something you said several posts earlier - that one should not worry about/become pre-occupied with the what-ifs. It is no doubt a downer to have a doom and gloom attitude about getting old or anything for that matter - that's just counter-productive any way you look at it.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am

Blumpkin wrote:Also, it seems a lot of yoga instructors are quite slim and fit in the sense that they have very little body fat. Is this because yoga does a good job at making a person lose fat and slim down as opposed to bulking up (like you can see with plenty of weightlifters)?

I'm actually a yoga instructor :P I teach one of the most difficult forms, Ashtanga, which is traditionally known as "a man's yoga". Yoga slims you because it not only builds muscle mass but it lengthens and stretches the muscles so that you become lean. One of the most important ways yoga contributes to weight loss in general however is that it teaches you to become "mindful", meaning you learn to be very conscious of what you're putting into your mouth :lol:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    Blumpkin wrote:Also, it seems a lot of yoga instructors are quite slim and fit in the sense that they have very little body fat. Is this because yoga does a good job at making a person lose fat and slim down as opposed to bulking up (like you can see with plenty of weightlifters)?

I'm actually a yoga instructor :P I teach one of the most difficult forms, Ashtanga, which is traditionally known as "a man's yoga". Yoga slims you because it not only builds muscle mass but it lengthens and stretches the muscles so that you become lean. One of the most important ways yoga contributes to weight loss in general however is that it teaches you to become "mindful", meaning you learn to be very conscious of what you're putting into your mouth :lol:

and your bod is quite amazing, i'm sold! 'nuff said! haha! :bangers:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:

and your bod is quite amazing, i'm sold! 'nuff said! haha! :bangers:

Me too! :wank: :wank: :wank: :mrgreen:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:ooh ooh me too!

wait, what are we talking about again?

Daenerys' body, I think. :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 pm

mooyagi wrote:

which is toned and lovely, FYI.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Further examination on 70K is needed to confirm this. Creepers unite!
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Daenerys wrote:

I'm actually a yoga instructor :P I teach one of the most difficult forms, Ashtanga, which is traditionally known as "a man's yoga". Yoga slims you because it not only builds muscle mass but it lengthens and stretches the muscles so that you become lean. One of the most important ways yoga contributes to weight loss in general however is that it teaches you to become "mindful", meaning you learn to be very conscious of what you're putting into yo

ur mouth :lol:

I can't do yoga very well. I've tried. I have arthritis in my thumb joints so the downward dog and many other poses are impossible for me. I can't even do push ups, so I use other gym machines that help me use the same muscles.

Yoga is HARD WORK!!!
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Blumpkin wrote:Alex, do you lose any weight from the actual act of sweating? In other words, does sweating itself burn any calories?

Also, it seems a lot of yoga instructors are quite slim and fit in the sense that they have very little body fat. Is this because yoga does a good job at making a person lose fat and slim down as opposed to bulking up (like you can see with plenty of weightlifters)?

Technically you do, but it's so insignificant in the short term (i.e. going to an exercise class) that the slight boost from that would be overcome by drinking the calories in a 1/4 cup of milk. I've developed a fairly extensive FAQ for my clinic for questions that other healthcare practitioners are often asked but don't have evidence on-hand to give, i.e. do "toning shoes" work, does vibration training do anything, what benefits does hot yoga have over regular, etc - all cited from peer-reviewed papers and scientific journals. I can post a snippet here if I grab it from work next week. Otherwise it's just my word vs. other stuff.

The slimness isn't necessarily from doing yoga - it would contribute, but I'd challenge you to find a yoga instructor who doesn't eat healthily. As far as the bulking up....*takes breath*

[wrote a bunch of stuff, looked it over after posting and realized it wasn't related at all]

Where am I going...oh yeah - muscles have to work against an increasing stimulus to tear, repair, and grow. Yoga routines are generally set and contain few variables - you'll hold the position for the same length of time, perhaps in the same order, and with little option to increase the muscle demand (you can certainly increase the stretch though). Because the whole concept behind increasing muscle size is progressive overload, yoga really does nothing for muscle building past the initial phase of adaptation to that particular exercise. If you look at any athlete, they'll modify their volume, intensity, rest etc to gradually increase the stimulus on their body - yoga is flexibility, with some muscle demand thrown in if you're not used to isometric contractions. Most yoga, anyways.

However, you can have some discussion about other factors such as hormone levels and body type - I don't doubt that a naturally skinny guy could do powerlifting every day, eat well and put on less muscle than a mesomorph using HGH and doing yoga.

Losing fat and slimming down is most quickly accomplished by interval training - however, the success of yoga and other fitness classes is that running on a treadmill by yourself every day sucks ass. There's a reason people enjoy all sorts of classes - there's a motivation there and enjoyment that doesn't exist for most people on their own.

And yoga will not lengthen a muscle out in terms of anatomy - insertion points are genetic, and you'll see bodybuilders gripe about their shitty biceps tendon insertions, etc. Everyone is completely variable in their fat reduction response - when I was working with a couple clients who were after general weight loss, we did a 5 site measurement at the start of the program - hips, waist, thighs, chest, arms. Doing the same routines, one girl lost 16 inches total, 4 being from the chest, and the other girl lost about the same amount in completely different ratios. The one losing lots from the chest was irritated.

Anyways, I can't remember what the original question was I'm just rambling....but again, I enjoy yoga...it just doesn't hold comparative merit in terms of weight loss to many other types of exercise. Great for many chronic conditions or general fitness.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Awww you guyssss :oops: Yours is just as lovely Rhia, we have us some lucky men ;) And they look so damn alike too :lol:

alex_canada wrote:The slimness isn't necessarily from doing yoga - it would contribute, but I'd challenge you to find a yoga instructor who doesn't eat healthily.

This is very true. Brian will starve to death if we eventually live together :lol:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

I've only managed to lose 10 lbs since september. Thoroughly unimpressed...

At least I feel in better shape, I guess the weight doesn't matter that much.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Jebus_Cripes wrote:I've only managed to lose 10 lbs since september. Thoroughly unimpressed...

that's true! i mean bodyfat % is more important than the number on the scale.

i lost 17lbs from April-Sept, gained 12 of it back in Oct-Dec, and now have lost 9 of that. so i'm almost back to my lowest point from 2012. of course i could be much further along but i'm happy clothes fit again!

my diet most days is causing me to lose pretty rapidly and my muscle tone to start poppin'.

daily diet:
    protein shake, coffee or tea
    small apple + handful raw almonds
    salad
    protein shake
    reasonable dinner.

bam, 9 lbs in 3 weeks. (would have been even more weight loss i guess if i hadn't eaten so much lasagna over x-mas). doing karate and HIIT too
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:57 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    Jebus_Cripes wrote:I've only managed to lose 10 lbs since september. Thoroughly unimpressed...

i lost 17lbs from April-Sept, gained 12 of it back in Oct-Dec, and now have lost 9 of that. so i'm almost back to my lowest point from 2012. of course i could be much further along but i'm happy clothes fit again!

my diet most days is causing me to lose pretty rapidly and my muscle tone to start poppin'.

daily diet:
    salad
    protein shake
    reasonable dinner.

bam, 9 lbs in 3 weeks. (would have been even more weight loss i guess if i hadn't eaten so much lasagna over x-mas). doing karate and HIIT too

How can you survive eating that little? Id never make it thru one day of that diet. Kudos to you for being able to do so.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

BehnWilson wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

daily diet:
    salad
    protein shake
    reasonable dinner.

How can you survive eating that little? Id never make it thru one day of that diet. Kudos to you for being able to do so.

well, dudes need more food for the most part. it's working and i've not been hungry. i would just do an extra shake or some slices of turkey.
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm

I could never get into the protein shake thing. I love food too much.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 pm

WizardBeast wrote:

daily diet:
    salad
    protein shake
    reasonable dinner.

Damn! I don't think I could be that disciplined with food! It does seem like very little
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 pm

gotta do it. i feel pretty sweet and i'm starting to see abs come out!
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:41 am

Thats Awesome, Keep it Up!

My abs are about as long gone as my 8 track collection
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:15 am

BehnWilson wrote:Thats Awesome, Keep it Up!

Bwahaha! Thanks! Got jeans on today that haven't fit in a while.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:Thats Awesome, Keep it Up!

Bwahaha! Thanks! Got jeans on today that haven't fit in a while.

always nice!

hell yeah. i'm stoked. i'm about back down to my thinnest weight of 2012 :-) and i was looking pretty good then. that and my new haircut...makin' me feel like one stylish bitch. :cool: still got 12 days to 70K...i wanna see if i can't take off another pound or two.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:^^ Just make sure you don't do some evil juice diet or anything so you're not prepared for 5-6 days of madness mayhem!

We need to party dooooown!
    or up
    whatever, lets party!

:party:

Nope, still eating/getting protein and stuff. i'm not making myself sick like i did on 70K 2011. I'm ready!!!!!!!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:Bwahaha! Thanks! Got jeans on today that haven't fit in a while.

always nice!

hell yeah. i'm stoked. i'm about back down to my thinnest weight of 2012 :-) and i was looking pretty good then. that and my new haircut...makin' me feel like one stylish bitch. :cool: still got 12 days to 70K...i wanna see if i can't take off another pound or two.

Meow! That's awesome! Keep up the great work!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 am

I'm off of work today (since I work Sat this week) and soon will leave the house to take my first yoga class in 16 years. :shock: (last was a pre-natal yoga class of all things before my older daughter was born). This yoga place offers all kinds of yoga classes, but this one at noon sounds nice....
    Slow Flow Vinyasa: A slower, more intentional progression of postures linked together with breath for an intense yet relaxing physical and spiritual practice. Poses may be held longer to challenge and encourage a deeper physical opening in the connective tissue. Modifications always offered for beginning students. Bring the entire body and mind into balance! All levels.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 am

Laura wrote:I'm off of work today (since I work Sat this week) and soon will leave the house to take my first yoga class in 16 years. :shock: (last was a pre-natal yoga class of all things before my older daughter was born). This yoga place offers all kinds of yoga classes, but this one at noon sounds nice....
    Slow Flow Vinyasa: A slower, more intentional progression of postures linked together with breath for an intense yet relaxing physical and spiritual practice. Poses may be held longer to challenge and encourage a deeper physical opening in the connective tissue. Modifications always offered for beginning students. Bring the entire body and mind into balance! All levels.

i like Vinyasa. enjoy!!!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm

As of this morning, I have lost 12 lbs since Barge to Hell!

New haircut, better bod, less clothes = WIN!

Now Kate will not have to cut me! :death:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 pm

WizardBeast wrote:As of this morning, I have lost 12 lbs since Barge to Hell!

Nice! I haven't lost that much but I think I'm a bit down. I'll check today or tomorrow.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Stained Class wrote:

Nice! I haven't lost that much but I think I'm a bit down. I'll check today or tomorrow.

yeah, all those pics of me from my "skinny cruise" were good motivation...those lard ass BtH pics were fuckin' embarrassing! the Barge Bloat has been left adrift at sea.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I dropped about six pounds in one day last week. :death:

Unfortunately it all came right back. :cry:
    (water weight from colonoscopy prep drink-talk about a living hell, Aargh!!!, but its something we must do (I just turned 50) once we reach a certain age. Ronnie James Dio and Piggy would both still be with us had they been tested regularly.

Went to do the exercise bike a day or so later, that was kind of silly, had to ixnay that particular exercise for a few days. Ouch!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

BehnWilson wrote:I dropped about six pounds in one day last week. :death:

Unfortunately it all came right back. :cry:
    (water weight from colonoscopy prep drink-talk about a living hell, Aargh!!!, but its something we must do (I just turned 50) once we reach a certain age. Ronnie James Dio and Piggy would both still be with us had they been tested regularly.

Went to do the exercise bike a day or so later, that was kind of silly, had to ixnay that particular exercise for a few days. Ouch!

YIKES! Need a donut cushion? hahah

And you're absolutely right about doing the whole preventive thing! None of us are getting any younger.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 pm

It sucks getting older. Had a rough year work wise and been working ridiculous hours all year, it usually seasonal but this has been one of those Murphys Laws kind of year where everything that can go wrong did. Was not eating well, tons of snacking..no exercising. My normal weight is 170-175 (id like to be at 170 but that is hard for me to get to) and I got up to 193 which is utterly ridiculous for me.

Started trying to diet etc mid November or so. Had my physical as I turned 50 and had to get a few things taken care of that I couldnt work out for awhile but hopefully that is all behind me now and I can start working out regularly again. Down to 185, not much lost yet but its a start.

Nothing I can do about the long work hours in my profession but I am trying to solve the snacking issue. We have limited fridge space at my main offfice, and I couldnt store much food so I got the boss to allow me to have my own mini fridge so I can stock healthy food for my busy season. Im also trying to replace the copious amounts of Diet Coke I was drinking with bottled water. I LOVE Diet Coke so that is really tough for me plus the caffeine helps on the 14 hour work days. Not cutting it out but cutting it down seriously.

Tough for me to get to the gym on a regular basis so Ive now got an exercise bike and weight set in my condo. Not as good a workout as at the gym, but something is better than nothing. I used to go gung ho on the lifting but the work schedule just is never going to allow that on a regular basis. Dont want to end up a contestant on The Biggest Loser so I had to do something.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Excellent! :deathhorns: :deathhorns: :deathhorns:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:46 pm

BehnWilson wrote:It sucks getting older. Had a rough year work wise and been working ridiculous hours all year, it usually seasonal but this has been one of those Murphys Laws kind of year where everything that can go wrong did. Was not eating well, tons of snacking..no exercising. My normal weight is 170-175 (id like to be at 170 but that is hard for me to get to) and I got up to 193 which is utterly ridiculous for me.

Started trying to diet etc mid November or so. Had my physical as I turned 50 and had to get a few things taken care of that I couldnt work out for awhile but hopefully that is all behind me now and I can start working out regularly again. Down to 185, not much lost yet but its a start.

Nothing I can do about the long work hours in my profession but I am trying to solve the snacking issue. We have limited fridge space at my main offfice, and I couldnt store much food so I got the boss to allow me to have my own mini fridge so I can stock healthy food for my busy season. Im also trying to replace the copious amounts of Diet Coke I was drinking with bottled water. I LOVE Diet Coke so that is really tough for me plus the caffeine helps on the 14 hour work days. Not cutting it out but cutting it down seriously.

Tough for me to get to the gym on a regular basis so Ive now got an exercise bike and weight set in my condo. Not as good a workout as at the gym, but something is better than nothing. I used to go gung ho on the lifting but the work schedule just is never going to allow that on a regular basis. Dont want to end up a contestant on The Biggest Loser so I had to do something.

Damn! A rough schedule is the worst! It sucks having very little free time and that makes it especially easy to avoid working out. Sounds like you're on the right path. Keep up the good work!
Post Reply 2419 posts