Post Reply 210 posts
Cooking, Recipes & Nutrition
  • KevinP
    Commander

The new name for SOY MILK......

by KevinP » Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 am

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • MissMetal
    Oiler

Re: The new name for SOY MILK......

by MissMetal » Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 am

Who wants to be the first person to order a soy latte, in that manner, at Starbucks? :D
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 am

So funny! Not to get off track but soy is super unhealthy. I prefer almond milk. Um, I guess that should be almond jizzum.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon May 03, 2010 5:19 pm

vainglory wrote:So funny! Not to get off track but soy is super unhealthy. I prefer almond milk. Um, I guess that should be almond jizzum.

Are you talking about non organic soybeans, which the overwhelmingly majority are GMO's made by the evil Monsato corporation? We only buy organic soybeans, which means they are non GMO. But due the the wind and pollination it's almost impossible for any organic soybean crop to be 100% free of the GMO soybeans, since it's so widespread (watch the movie Food Inc.).

Anything in excess can be bad for you (most things you need in moderation or a balance of). We eat regular (dairy) cheese and yogurt though. Soymilk for cereal & whole edamame sometimes in soup.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 7:12 pm

KevinP wrote:
    vainglory wrote:So funny! Not to get off track but soy is super unhealthy. I prefer almond milk. Um, I guess that should be almond jizzum.

Are you talking about non organic soybeans, which the overwhelmingly majority are GMO's made by the evil Monsato corporation? We only buy organic soybeans, which means they are non GMO. But due the the wind and pollination it's almost impossible for any organic soybean crop to be 100% free of the GMO soybeans, since it's so widespread (watch the movie Food Inc.).

Anything in excess can be bad for you (most things you need in moderation or a balance of). We eat regular (dairy) cheese and yogurt though. Soymilk for cereal & whole edamame sometimes in soup.

YES I love that you reference that movie Food Inc. amazing. GMO yes is beyond the unhealthy but soy itself is not meant to be consumed by humans in anything beyond trace quantities. Its pervasiveness in our food supply and its touting as a health food is indeed another product of giant agriculture's propaganda. The main problem with soy is that it mimics female hormones in the human body. Google "dangers of soy" for a fun time. The scary part is once I got off it I began to see more and more just how many different foods it is in. Soy Jizzum is bad jizzum.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon May 03, 2010 7:20 pm

vainglory wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    vainglory wrote:YES I love that you reference that movie Food Inc. amazing. GMO yes is beyond the unhealthy but soy itself is not meant to be consumed by humans in anything beyond trace quantities. Its pervasiveness in our food supply and its touting as a health food is indeed another product of giant agriculture's propaganda. The main problem with soy is that it mimics female hormones in the human body. Google "dangers of soy" for a fun time. The scary part is once I got off it I began to see more and more just how many different foods it is in. Soy Jizzum is bad jizzum.

Soy Lechtin is is almost everything, even organic food or whole wheat bread. It's somewhat difficult to avoid. The confusing part about it though is people who seem to know about whole, natural, organic food and healthly living are big proponents of it (DrWeil, Sara Snow, etc, etc.) Granted not everyone knows everything, but I was under the impression that like most food, if you eat it in its natural form (eating the whole cooked soybean in normal quantities) it was a good thing.

Just like sugar/corn. The way it's broken down into high fructose corn syrup they say it's trains your brain to be addicted to it, since you are breaking down a specific chemical of the whole molecule (blah, blah, blah). We basically have ridden ourselves of 99% of HFCS in the products we buy in our household anyways.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 8:40 pm

vainglory wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    vainglory wrote:YES I love that you reference that movie Food Inc. amazing. GMO yes is beyond the unhealthy but soy itself is not meant to be consumed by humans in anything beyond trace quantities. Its pervasiveness in our food supply and its touting as a health food is indeed another product of giant agriculture's propaganda. The main problem with soy is that it mimics female hormones in the human body. Google "dangers of soy" for a fun time. The scary part is once I got off it I began to see more and more just how many different foods it is in. Soy Jizzum is bad jizzum.

Soy Lechtin is is almost everything, even organic food or whole wheat bread. It's somewhat difficult to avoid. The confusing part about it though is people who seem to know about whole, natural, organic food and healthly living are big proponents of it (DrWeil, Sara Snow, etc, etc.) Granted not everyone knows everything, but I was under the impression that like most food, if you eat it in its natural form (eating the whole cooked soybean in normal quantities) it was a good thing.

Just like sugar/corn. The way it's broken down into high fructose corn syrup they say it's trains your brain to be addicted to it, since you are breaking down a specific chemical of the whole molecule (blah, blah, blah). We basically have ridden ourselves of 99% of HFCS in the products we buy in our household anyways.

Yeah I get what you're saying and in the other examples you give you're pretty much right. Personally I don't eat sugar (or corn actually) at all either but in its natural form it can be healthy for most people's ways of eating. Soy on the other hand I believe is inherently dangerous. Its more than just the toxins in soybeans for me its the Phytoestrogens that scare me the most. bad bad stuff. Anyways you're right again in that this is a debatable area. I just fall WAY WAY on the soy is dangerous side of the debate. Oh, and at a lame effort to end this threadjack let me say "SOY JIZZUM" is dangerous (IMHO).
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 04, 2010 4:15 am

I'm actually glad you brought it up as it made me look into it more. I've decided to try the almond milk and avoid any the crackers/chips/cereal that have soy lechitin in it. We did a decent job of buying good stuff, but now you made me think about it alot harder.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 am

KevinP wrote:I'm actually glad you brought it up as it made me look into it more. I've decided to try the almond milk and avoid any the crackers/chips/cereal that have soy lechitin in it. We did a decent job of buying good stuff, but now you made me think about it alot harder.

thats rad.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 am

vainglory wrote:
    KevinP wrote:I'm actually glad you brought it up as it made me look into it more. I've decided to try the almond milk and avoid any the crackers/chips/cereal that have soy lechitin in it. We did a decent job of buying good stuff, but now you made me think about it alot harder.

thats rad.

I'll owe you a sulfite free glass of wine :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 am

My sister's a vegetarian that's been drinking soy for years and has also had some odd health difficulties that she's found no healing for. She works alongside nutritionists and is pretty up to date on relevant info but I passed on the soy dangers idea for her to look into. Would be great if it led to some improvements for her.

Also, wouldn't ya know it... I get to work last night and what DVD do ya think they rented to watch with the kids? Yep, Food Inc! So that's how I spent the wee hours of this morning. Great show but damn if it isn't just another angle on how our world and the way it's run by megacorp and their hired political puppets is just a freaking mess. If I weren't such a calm, peaceful metalhead, I might start shopping for automatic weapons or hari-kari swords... Oh wait, I already have one of those haha!!

<happy thoughts, happy thoughts...>
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Tue May 04, 2010 10:09 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:My sister's a vegetarian that's been drinking soy for years and has also had some odd health difficulties that she's found no healing for. She works alongside nutritionists and is pretty up to date on relevant info but I passed on the soy dangers idea for her to look into. Would be great if it led to some improvements for her.

Also, wouldn't ya know it... I get to work last night and what DVD do ya think they rented to watch with the kids? Yep, Food Inc! So that's how I spent the wee hours of this morning. Great show but damn if it isn't just another angle on how our world and the way it's run by megacorp and their hired political puppets is just a freaking mess. If I weren't such a calm, peaceful metalhead, I might start shopping for automatic weapons or hari-kari swords... Oh wait, I already have one of those haha!!

yeah the megacorps get a little overwhelming sometimes! On most issues I try not to delve too deep. I try to skim the surface (skim the surface baby!) it all gets distrubing and resistance feels futiile. When it comes to food though i feel like I have somewhat more control. There still exist local and organic and non GMO options out there and at least in California theres a strong and even effective movement to protect them.

RE your sister... good call passing this along to her.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:My sister's a vegetarian that's been drinking soy for years and has also had some odd health difficulties that she's found no healing for. She works alongside nutritionists and is pretty up to date on relevant info but I passed on the soy dangers idea for her to look into. Would be great if it led to some improvements for her.

It is pretty sickening what really goes on. It can be downright depressing if you let it get to you that literally EVERY single thing is ruled by $$$$ as the only incentive.

The simple fact that Monsanto would sue farmers over saving seeds since they know they can outspend them even if it's frivolous is the epitome of evil IMNSHO. I knew Monsato was bad before watching this movie, but this info put the cherry on top of the sundae for me.

I'll never claim to be a nutritionist, but the wife and I are ahead of the curve on most people when it comes to eating healthly, fresh and organic, chemical & preservative free stuff. I always felt (whether correct or not) if I avoided GMO soybeans and went with organic and it wasn't in megadoses, you were doing a good thing.

Maye during some downtime, vainglory will give us a presentation in one of the lounges :P :P :P
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 am

KevinP wrote:

It is pretty sickening what really goes on. It can be downright depressing if you let it get to you that literally EVERY single thing is ruled by $$$$ as the only incentive.

The simple fact that Monsanto would sue farmers over saving seeds since they know they can outspend them even if it's frivolous is the epitome of evil IMNSHO. I knew Monsato was bad before watching this movie, but this info put the cherry on top of the sundae for me.

I'll never claim to be a nutritionist, but the wife and I are ahead of the curve on most people when it comes to eating healthly, fresh and organic, chemical & preservative free stuff. I always felt (whether correct or not) if I avoided GMO soybeans and went with organic and it wasn't in megadoses, you were doing a good thing.

Maye during some downtime, vainglory will give us a presentation in one of the lounges :P :P :P

OMG... metal goes organic... or maybe metal goes hippie? heads might explode LOL
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 am

vainglory wrote: There still exist local and organic and non GMO options out there and at least in California theres a strong and even effective movement to protect them.

One of the things I envy about CA. Seems like the availability of fresh local grown and organic produce year round and a very progressive approach and mindset to this type of stuff, along with the nice vineyards and culture.

If it wasn't so damn crowded and expensive I'd consider moving there :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am

KevinP wrote:... and a very progressive approach and mindset to this type of stuff, along with the nice vineyards and culture.

Wasn't it Arnold that the movie cited as having vetoed one of the more logical bills in this area? Maybe some residents are more progressive but I'm surprised they haven't turfed that guy.

vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 am

Is there a way to multi quote on this board? I can't find it.

@ KevinP - yeah california is truly amazing (weather, diversity etc.). Except for the cost of living. I'm a sixth generation Californian so I'm used to it though.

@ShoreSlayer - one of our curses in California is our absolutely HORENDOUS lawmakers that goes for every single one of them on just about every single level except maybe local. We just try to do our best in spite of them LOL

Arnold will be out soon but whoever replaces him will be equally bad. And at least he looks cool. ;)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 am

vainglory wrote:Is there a way to multi quote on this board? I can't find it.

It's not built in no. Best suggestion is just hit reply to for one person and then Copy (Ctrl+C) the contents, hit back and hit reply for the next and then paste (Ctrl+V) the previous one into the new one, etc... :ugeek:

vainglory wrote:And at least he looks cool. ;)
    Spoken like a true Californian!! :lol:

• KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 am

vain,

Are you partial to a certain brand of almond milk? I don't want to be drinking the wrong stuff and upset the Queen of CA. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Tue May 04, 2010 11:17 am

KevinP wrote:vain,

Are you partial to a certain brand of almond milk? I don't want to be drinking the wrong stuff and upset the Queen of CA. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha!

I drink Almond Breeze I think the Vanilla is best but they also have chocolate, plain & unsweetened.

Also if you're feeling uber adventurous look for SO Delicious Coconut Milk at Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck)
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

vainglory wrote:

Ha!

I drink Almond Breeze I think the Vanilla is best but they also have chocolate, plain & unsweetened.

Also if you're feeling uber adventurous look for SO Delicious Coconut Milk at Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck)

I like Whole Foods except the the small aisles (I'm always in the way of someone) and the price. (speaking of which I forgot to get my wheatgrass shot last week when I was there)

One of the bad things of leaving Long Island and moving to Florida is no Trader Joe's, which you probably have at every other street corner. That's our favorite store and something we go to any time we are near one. It's almost like a tourist destination for us we love it so much. :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 am

KevinP wrote:
    vainglory wrote:

Ha!

I like Whole Foods except the the small aisles (I'm always in the way of someone) and the price. (speaking of which I forgot to get my wheatgrass shot last week when I was there)

One of the bad things of leaving Long Island and moving to Florida is no Trader Joe's, which you probably have at every other street corner. That's our favorite store and something we go to any time we are near one. It's almost like a tourist destination for us we love it so much. :mrgreen:

Yes you caught me I do 90% of my shopping at TJs. Whole Foods for produce...
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

If we could snag a few of the employee t-shirts (they would fit right in on a cruise) we could form a TJ's clan :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri May 07, 2010 2:09 pm

I just remembered to ask: what's your position on edamame ? Just as evil, slightly less evil or okay?
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Fri May 07, 2010 2:18 pm

KevinP wrote:I just remembered to ask: what's your position on edamame ? Just as evil, slightly less evil or okay?

I'm terribly sorry to tell you that raw soybeans are da debil.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri May 07, 2010 2:23 pm

vainglory wrote:
    KevinP wrote:I just remembered to ask: what's your position on edamame ? Just as evil, slightly less evil or okay?

Well I do cook them in water and they are organic and GREEN, not the light brown ones.

I assume they ones they use in all the commercial products are the light brown ones?
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Fri May 07, 2010 3:13 pm

KevinP wrote:
    vainglory wrote:

Well I do cook them in water and they are organic and GREEN, not the light brown ones.

I assume they ones they use in all the commercial products are the light brown ones?

The problem with soy is its own inherent properties the phyotestrogen in it... its not an organic v. not organic thing although cooking does help *some*
    man you must really like these things?
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri May 07, 2010 3:18 pm

It's not that I'm a soy lover, I just found it to be a good and easy substitute for milk and dairy. We still eat milk and diary but not nearly as much as the average american family. I never really thought of it as evil, unless we're talking the Monsanto GMO soybean
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Fri May 07, 2010 4:03 pm

KevinP wrote:It's not that I'm a soy lover, I just found it to be a good and easy substitute for milk and dairy. We still eat milk and diary but not nearly as much as the average american family. I never really thought of it as evil, unless we're talking the Monsanto GMO soybean

did you try the almond milk yet? to me its SO much better anyways... do you stay of dairy in general for a particular reason? I eat dairy just organic antibiotic free etc.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri May 07, 2010 4:10 pm

vainglory wrote:
    KevinP wrote:It's not that I'm a soy lover, I just found it to be a good and easy substitute for milk and dairy. We still eat milk and diary but not nearly as much as the average american family. I never really thought of it as evil, unless we're talking the Monsanto GMO soybean

did you try the almond milk yet? to me its SO much better anyways... do you stay of dairy in general for a particular reason? I eat dairy just organic antibiotic free etc.

We go shopping this weekend and the wife has already been "instructed" to buy almond milk.

In regards to dairy, baby cows should be drinking it, not humans. Like anything else in the typical american diet there is too much of a reliance on red meat and dairy. We still eat some cheese, greek yogurt or ice cream, so it's not like we are vegan. We just try to eat more whole grains, fruits and vegetables when we can.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Fri May 07, 2010 4:47 pm

KevinP wrote:
    vainglory wrote:

We go shopping this weekend and the wife has already been "instructed" to buy almond milk.

In regards to dairy, baby cows should be drinking it, not humans. Like anything else in the typical american diet there is too much of a reliance on red meat and dairy. We still eat some cheese, greek yogurt or ice cream, so it's not like we are vegan. We just try to eat more whole grains, fruits and vegetables when we can.

I totally agree on the baby cows! Its just a weird thing to drink. But cheese yea I like cheese and I lik yogurt too.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 am

Hmm, my local supermarket had Almond Breeze, but no organic varieties. A quick check of the Blue diamond website doesn't show they produce a organic version.

And they also add Vitamin D2, ( same as Soymilk), which some people claim not a good version of D to be using (due to potential health hazards).

Anyways just had my first glass, awesome stuff. Has a nice nutty sweet flavor (please refrain from the obvious jokes on that one).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Sat May 08, 2010 8:15 pm

KevinP wrote:Hmm, my local supermarket had Almond Breeze, but no organic varieties. A quick check of the Blue diamond website doesn't show they produce a organic version.

And they also add Vitamin D2, ( same as Soymilk), which some people claim not a good version of D to be using (due to potential health hazards).

Anyways just had my first glass, awesome stuff. Has a nice nutty sweet flavor (please refrain from the obvious jokes on that one).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ah yes, almond jizzum... delicious!
    If you're looking for organic you will probably need to make it yourself its quite easy but is never vanilla flavored :)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Nutrition Thread

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 am

*** FYI - NO NEED TO READ OR REPLY IF YOU HATE LONG POSTS OR ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE TOPIC - THANKS :twisted: ***

So, this is just an idea at this point and I won't move ahead with it unless this thread receives at least one very serious and committed responder or, better yet, 2, 3 or more who say they'd like to take part.

We already have a fitness thread and a conversation about nutrition could easily take place there, but this is something different. In the past 20 years, I've altered, improved or downright dumped a number of unhealthy habits. Some with more ease than others. I've also replaced the removed unhealthy habits with healthier or, in some cases, less-unhealthy ones. It's been hit and miss every time but over the years I've discovered some elements of this process that work well for me. Everyone's different of course, but some of these work well for pretty much everyone. It's these experiences that also led me to work in the helping field.

Well, my last, greatest area in need of improvement has definitely become fitness and nutrition. I think I explained in the fitness thread that I lost 50-ish pounds in 2008 and have never returned to that previous weight. But I HAVE put about half of it back on and have definitely not maintained the behaviours that led to all that success.

As posted in the fitness thread earlier today, I'm in the act of re-starting that process as we speak.

So, what the hell does that have to do with any of you and why am I compelling you to read my keyboard drivel yet again? I'll explain :)

One of the obvious elements of successful behaviour change is support. It's been mentioned in the fitness thread and we've all heard it a thousand times that making any change usually requires asking others for help or, at the very least, information and advice.

But another less obvious element that I've found to be incredibly helpful is what I call Ego Investment.

By standing up in a crowded room and proclaiming that they're going to DO SOMETHING, it becomes very difficult for the person to then just not do that thing. Many psychological/sociological factors come into play here but it's essentially about not wanting to look like a loser or a failure. When I knew I had other people rooting for me to succeed at something and that my failure to do so would maybe make them think less of me or be just a little disappointed or even discouraged in their own pursuit of change, it inspired me to try harder.

From a psychological standpoint, I'm not saying it's the healthiest approach. Idealists will tell you that the only person we need to impress or make changes for is ourselves. I agree to a HUGE extent. But it's just not like that for all of us. I'm still enough of a social putz that I am motivated in subtle ways by others' opinions of me. I work hard to filter it out and not let it move me to make bad decisions. But I also recognize that it's a hard-wired feature of our social development and, on some level, all humans fear being cast out by their tribe. I personally don't believe that this lizard brain fear response will never be wholly removed from our psyches.

I've also mentioned that I do a weight loss challenge with a couple buddies each year where the guy who loses the least amount of weight has to foot the bill for a full out Keg dinner for all 3 guys. After 2 years, I've yet to be the guy to pay and don't intend to let that change :twisted:

So, if I haven't completely lost all of you lol... here's my proposal:

If anyone else is interested, I'd like to use this thread to track what I EAT, DRINK & DO (exercise) on a daily/weekly basis. And if any of us are doing too much or too little of the bad or good stuff, the others will read it and call us out on it. Honor system is, of course, essential lol.

I've tracked this stuff myself in the past and found it pretty simple and effective but I know it works even more if you feel accountable to a group with shared goals.

I usually just make a spreadsheet with the following headings.

Day or Date - Meals - Snacks - Amount of Water - Exercise - +/-

In the Exercise column, I just put something like gym, home workout, tennis or whatever. Doesn't need to be detailed as that can be tracked elsewhere if one chooses to. The +/- column is just for comments on positive or negative things that might have played a role in the healthy or unhealthy choices that day.

So that's it. I'd then just suggest any participants post their weekly or daily tracking whenever they have time and we encourage each other in our replies. Cool metal style encouragement of course, with healthy doses of friendly humiliation when we fall on our faces :lol: - or feel free to say no thanks to that part if you're sensitive. I enjoy it but some don't.

I'll be starting to do this very soon myself regardless of anyone joining in here but I just thought I'd share my current momentum, try to increase it by adding friends and hopefully inspire and encourage others with similar goals. I know Debb will be all over this by at least doing one situp per day to reach up and post a reply full of love and :givebeer:

Cheers y'all ;)

debborah1
    Commander

Re: Nutrition Thread

by debborah1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:17 am

Of course I couldnt let you down dear Rob.....so far today......
    I have consumed ONE (1) Rockstar energy drink.....and I feel GREAT!!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:34 pm

While I can't say I'll be joining you in the tracking, I wanted to commend you for your effort :beerwink: If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, I highly recommend a lifestyle similar to the South Beach Diet. I went on the South Beach diet to drop the freshman 15 I had gained while I was earning my bachelors degree, and not only did I lose it (and quickly!) but I've kept it off for 4 years now. I'm not necessarily saying to do the diet; it's not only the diet but the lifestyle that helps you lose the weight (and keep it off) by learning how the body is affected by what you eat. Most weight loss programs require calorie counting (which I myself find to be a ROYAL pain in the ass) whereas the South Beach diet teaches you how to monitor your carb intake. I personally hate working out, so watching my carbs helps me keep weight off without being a gym rat. I don't know how it is in Canada, but many Americans are HORRIBLY overweight and under-educated about how to prevent obesity. Although as a medical professional their obesity is my job security :lol: Can't wait to see your results sir! :headbanger:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 pm

So....ShoreSlayer....I actually read through your long post here....a lot of interesting ideas. Hmmm....where do I begin? Your proposed methodology of keeping a detailed log can be a good idea for some I think. I've done that kind of thing for various aspects in my life (I'm big into making lists, goals, etc.!) with fairly decent success. However, it can be tedious and it's easy to lose interest.

One thing I've noticed about a few friends of mine who are forever trying to lose weight and/or exercise more is that they make a lot of elaborate plans and never seem able to follow through. It's hard for me to relate because I'm relatively tall (5'9") and have always tended to be somewhat slender. I think the bottom line is that one simply needs to consume less crappy, high calorie foods to not be overweight. Let's face it, SO many Americans are obese because they SIMPLY eat way more than they need to. Sorry if this sounds like a rant!

Here's what I do...I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables because I love 'em, plus they have the added benefit of having very few calories; I'm not a vegetarian but eat meat sparingly; I do pig out on junk food (pizza, etc.) on average once a week (but because it's only 3-4 times a month it seems to sufficiently counter-balance the low-cal stuff I eat the rest of the time. I love beer, but usually just drink it when I'm at a show. I'm not a fan of "sweets" generally so desserts, doughnuts, and the like have never been my downfall. Re: exercise, walking is my favorite.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:08 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Your proposed methodology of keeping a detailed log can be a good idea for some I think. I've done that kind of thing for various aspects in my life (I'm big into making lists, goals, etc.!) with fairly decent success. However, it can be tedious and it's easy to lose interest.

One thing I've noticed about a few friends of mine who are forever trying to lose weight and/or exercise more is that they make a lot of elaborate plans and never seem able to follow through.

Yeah, it's definitely not an approach that would work for all. As you pointed out, lists and such aren't for everyone and this method would drive people like that crazy and be a complete fail for them.

I've been busy and distracted since posting this and haven't logged anything yet but have been sort of keeping a mental tally and can't say I'm proud of that list lol... Had the impression I'd been doing quite poorly with my choices but somehow dropped 7 pounds in the past couple weeks just by doing very little. Imagine if I actually got off my fat ass and worked out! :lol:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Cooking, Recipes & Nutrition

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Tried to steer the Fitness thread into a Fitness & Nutrition thread at one point but I think it was a bad idea as Fitness itself is a vast enough topic on it's own. Sure they go hand in hand but combined they just cover far too much ground.

So...

A couple things I was hoping this thread might achieve include anyone posting any favourite recipes, recent discoveries or, if anyone owns a copy of one or more of the Heavy Metal Cookbooks that are out there and wanna share some of the highlights that would be great too.

To get things started, I have a couple things to share. First off, for Debb and anyone else who loves smoothies, I found this link with a bunch of great smoothie recipes. Just use the image scroll thing to pick one of the 11 they offer and then click 'Get the Recipe here' on the upper right for the full recipe Smoothies!!! I think I'm gonna try out the cherry/raspberry one today :beerwink:

Next, here's a recipe I made this week when a buddy came by to watch hockey. I added some grilled chicken pieces to up the protein component but I'm sure it'd be almost as good without. I also added lots more red pepper flakes than what's called for to give it more kick as well as chopping up and adding 2 whole (small) red peppers for more colour and asskickingflavourness Spinach Ziti

Also, I was thinking of trying some kind of cleanse type diet for a few weeks sometime soon but don't want one that is so low protein or overall content that I'll have no strength to work out so any tips in that regard from anyone who's found something decent would be appreciated.

Happy eating! :headbanger:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: Cooking, Recipes & Nutrition

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Got a sudden craving for this. Haven't had it in ages but off to buy ingredients now and will devour later tonight:

Roasted Salmon with Goat Cheese (as per recipe but I'll reduce for bachelor dining ;))

4 6-7 oz salmon fillets
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper (yeah right! OMIT! :P )
    1 crushed clove garlic
    4 oz goat cheese at room temp
    1 Tbsp Italian seasoning

In a baking dish, combine the oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Add the fish, coat well, cover and refrigerate for 15 min to 2 hrs. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray

Remove fish from marinade, discarding remainder of liquid. Place fish (skin side down) on prepared baaking sheet. Cook for 9 -12 min or until opaque.

While fish is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the goat cheese and Italian seasoning.

Remove fish from oven (discard any skins) and put 2 Tbsp of cheese mixture over each fillet and serve.

I think I'm gonna add some capers to the cheese mixture tonight to experiment (Most capers are sold in a brine liquid. I always rinse them really well before adding to anything as the liquid is super salty)

Photos to follow ;)

Post Reply 210 posts