Post Reply 1468 posts
Gamers
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

Re: Gamers

by gundiesalvo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 pm

That sounds hilarious! I guess the name makes more sense now. I really need to get me a 3DS, quite a few games in there I'd like to play.
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:01 pm

Here's the trailer guys. MOON PRISM POWER!!

http://youtu.be/qSEGXzhxCGw

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:16 pm

looks like a dating sim/pokemon hybrid kinda thing, hahahaha! Should be entertaining!
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 am

Can you imagine explaining this to a non-gamer/anime fan?

Person 1: "Conception 2? What do you do in that game?"

Person 2: "Basically, you couple with all these cute women to pump out a ton of children so you can used them to fight monsters."
    :lol:

I remember how shocked my former caretaker was when I told her the premise of Pokemon. "Basically, you and a bunch of other characters capture a bunch of wild animals and force them to fight each other."

I think TV tropes has something for this, called "Better than it sounds" or something.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/S ... anItSounds
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:11 am

Oh God. I just saw the funniest one for Asura's Wrath:

The angriest father in the history of the universe sets out on a quest to save his daughter by applying his fist with great force to every single face he can find. He succeeds.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 am

RPGs are like that a lot. At home I have a list of Console RPG cliches bookmarked. They're all like, you're a dick because you break into people's homes and take their shit, everyone falls in love with the hero EXCEPT ONE CHARACTER who is either not actually a woman or is really ugly... I'll find it when I get home. It's all true.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Been replaying FF14. Unlocked Ninja, then remembered that nearly no tanks and very few healers know WTF they're doing... although some fights can be challenging to tank 99% of you basic dungeon runs are piss easy to tank and I shouldn't have all the mobs drop on me because I had the audacity to heal the tank at 40% life, or had the unmitigated gall to give a baby slap to the mob that the tank marked for DPS to focus on...

*sigh*, time to break out my Warrior again...
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:13 pm

CountArioch wrote:Been replaying FF14. Unlocked Ninja, then remembered that nearly no tanks and very few healers know WTF they're doing... although some fights can be challenging to tank 99% of you basic dungeon runs are piss easy to tank and I shouldn't have all the mobs drop on me because I had the audacity to heal the tank at 40% life, or had the unmitigated gall to give a baby slap to the mob that the tank marked for DPS to focus on...

*sigh*, time to break out my Warrior again...

Ugh I dont know what it was but when I played that one most of the players/community were just terrible. Even more so compared to other MMOs. I eventually lost interest in that one and moved on to ESO then Arche Age for a bit. Now im on The Repopulation and thoroughly enjoying that one for a change. Its nice to have what seems like a complete sandbox skill system instead of the classes every other MMO has right now. As an old school Ultima Online player I love not having levels and instead having to level up individual skills.The graphics are pretty pitiful but the mechanics are making up for it so far.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Phoenix wrote:RPGs are like that a lot. At home I have a list of Console RPG cliches bookmarked. They're all like, you're a dick because you break into people's homes and take their shit, everyone falls in love with the hero EXCEPT ONE CHARACTER who is either not actually a woman or is really ugly... I'll find it when I get home. It's all true.

Ooh! I love that list.

The latest one I remember is, if the main character has an older sibling, it will be an older brother, who will be secretly working for the enemy. If instead it's a younger sibling, it will be a younger sister who will be kidnapped and used as leverage by the enemy.

Cliches are such a riot.

Anyway, I'm now the owner of a PS Vita and Conception 2. I can't wait to get started.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Oh man, keep me posted! There are scenes in that game that will crack you up :D

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:05 pm

I don't know whether or not this is a result of the chats we had earlier, but when I play Conception 2, I crack up whenever anyone mentions "Classmating".
    My favorite line so far: "Thanks! I'm honored to have your blessing to make children with your sister." :lol:

I wonder if this joke will get old eventually.
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 am

I have come to resurrect this thread. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is one of the best RPG's I've played in a long time. Absolutely badass combat, the side quests are so much more than brainless fetch quests, and how many other games let you have sex on a goddamn unicorn?
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: Don't even remember

Wishlist: Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Dzo-nga, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Primordial, Running Wild, Steel Panther
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:27 pm

Kingslayer wrote:I have come to resurrect this thread. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is one of the best RPG's I've played in a long time. Absolutely badass combat, the side quests are so much more than brainless fetch quests, and how many other games let you have sex on a goddamn unicorn?

I'll have to find out how to do that. I got a recent PC upgrade so I'd be able to play it in all it's fully-rendered glory. I love the parts where you play as Ciri too. Sure, she can't use Witcher signs but teleport spamming is super fun.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Kingslayer wrote:I have come to resurrect this thread. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is one of the best RPG's I've played in a long time. Absolutely badass combat, the side quests are so much more than brainless fetch quests, and how many other games let you have sex on a goddamn unicorn?

This.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 am

The characters rock too. Everything from the voice acting, to the face-capture, to the stuff they say just emanates personality.

It really says something when you're looking at a stoic guy like Geralt and can tell exactly what he's feeling simply by the subtle differences in his expressions. Bethesda should really take notes.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:10 pm

sageoftruth wrote:The characters rock too. Everything from the voice acting, to the face-capture, to the stuff they say just emanates personality.

It really says something when you're looking at a stoic guy like Geralt and can tell exactly what he's feeling simply by the subtle differences in his expressions. Bethesda should really take notes.

All gaming companies need to look at CD Projekt Red and learn a few things. We want finished polished games. We expect there will be a bug or 2 but major game breaking bugs should never exist. No pre-order bonus console exclusive bullshit. Free DLC (not amazing but free is free). And above all taking the time to do it right
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:47 am

I'm pretty certain the Witcher 3 had pre order bonuses, if only that you could get it cheaper if you preordered. Never hail a company as the Messiah of gaming, otherwise you'll just create more cases like Valve. Though I am glad that GOG is becoming a serious competitor in the computer gaming market.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Phoenix wrote:I'm pretty certain the Witcher 3 had pre order bonuses, if only that you could get it cheaper if you preordered. Never hail a company as the Messiah of gaming, otherwise you'll just create more cases like Valve. Though I am glad that GOG is becoming a serious competitor in the computer gaming market.

Very true. Lots of today's boogeymen in gaming started out as gaming messiahs.
    I think I heard about this pre order bonus thing, or not. Actually that was DRM. Just looked it up.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Out-Owners

DRM kept some gamers from playing Witcher 3. Only a problem if you got it for Xbox1, go figure. Everyone's blaming Microsoft for that, possibly because a messiah could never commit such a vile act. Still, I'm not going to let myself get too cynical. I want to give these guys a chance at least. Customer-friendly behavior should be rewarded after all.

Anyway, I just looked up the bonuses. It's basically a comic book, a figurine and some other memorabilia. As long as it's not something that could be added or removed from the game itself, it's a start. Still, I wish to discourage preordering, so I suppose they deserve a waggle of the finger at least for trying to incentivize it.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Yeah, I only preorder games on Nintendo devices that I KNOW I'm going to play, because those are hard to get physical copies of.

And it probably WAS Microsoft's fault, CDPR is known for hating DRM being attached to any of their games. They run GOG, for crying out loud.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Phoenix wrote:Yeah, I only preorder games on Nintendo devices that I KNOW I'm going to play, because those are hard to get physical copies of.

And it probably WAS Microsoft's fault, CDPR is known for hating DRM being attached to any of their games. They run GOG, for crying out loud.

Really? They're the ones behind GOG? Maybe they are the chosen ones after all.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Phoenix wrote:Never hail a company as the Messiah of gaming, otherwise you'll just create more cases like Valve.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:02 pm

E3 begins this weekend. Can't wait to see what shows up this year.

My wish list:
    The Last Guardian
    Red Dead (3?)
    Dark Souls 3
    WiiU Metroid
    WiiU F-Zero
    Some teaser for the new Elder Scrolls 6 game (doubtful on this because of Fallout 4, Doom, and the leak of Dishonored 2)
    Mass Effect 4
    More detail on No Man's Sky
    More Uncharted 4
    Kingdom Hearts
    New God of War

Also want to see what Ubisoft is doing to recover from the disappointing Q4 2014 they had. The new Assassins Creed looks really promising. Would like to see some hint of a Watchdogs follow up. The game had solid potential but fell short of the hype.

Nintendo needs to do something big. They have already got their hooks in me with Zelda and Starfox but there are 2 core Nintendo IP's that are missing: Metroid and F-Zero.

The Big one for me is The Last Guardian. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are 2 of the greatest gaming experiences of my life and being teased about that one since 2007 and I think this title could be what gives Sony a boost this year.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 am

So... Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:37 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:E3 begins this weekend. Can't wait to see what shows up this year.

My wish list:
    The Last Guardian
    Red Dead (3?)
    Dark Souls 3
    WiiU Metroid
    WiiU F-Zero
    Some teaser for the new Elder Scrolls 6 game (doubtful on this because of Fallout 4, Doom, and the leak of Dishonored 2)
    Mass Effect 4
    More Uncharted 4
    Kingdom Hearts
    New God of War

Also want to see what Ubisoft is doing to recover from the disappointing Q4 2014 they had. The new Assassins Creed looks really promising. Would like to see some hint of a Watchdogs follow up. The game had solid potential but fell short of the hype.

Nintendo needs to do something big. They have already got their hooks in me with Zelda and Starfox but there are 2 core Nintendo IP's that are missing: Metroid and F-Zero.

The Big one for me is The Last Guardian. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are 2 of the greatest gaming experiences of my life and being teased about that one since 2007 and I think this title could be what gives Sony a boost this year.

I've kind of fallen out with E3. E3 is all hype and promises, which tend to get broken when the actual game comes out. Those guys really shoot themselves in the foot by over-promising on their games. Maybe they'll learn someday and E3 will be worth going to again.

Mass Effect 4 huh? I never got the third one, but didn't they pretty much wrap up the story in that one?
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:46 am

sageoftruth wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:
    Mass Effect 4 huh? I never got the third one, but didn't they pretty much wrap up the story in that one?

"Mass Effect" is a bad name for it. It sounds like Mass Effect: Catalyst takes place in almost an entirely different galaxy. Though it is still "TECHNICALLY" the same world. Basically, they're attaching the name and the legacy to it. Which could be a good or a bad thing.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am

So, the key to a successful Kickstarter campaign: announce during E3. Shenmue 3 is over $2.5 million a little over 12 hours in... :shock:
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 pm

WOO HOO! I just beat Witcher 3, and I think I got the good ending too. That game was a blast. Best part was after the credits where it said, "In loving memory of" and then showed some a picture of some polish woman who was flashing the horns. Looked like a pretty fun woman.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:27 pm

klons wrote:So, the key to a successful Kickstarter campaign: announce during E3. Shenmue 3 is over $2.5 million a little over 12 hours in... :shock:

Those are pledges. Not 100% guaranteed money but it's a promising start. Would love to see the game happen. Spent a lot of time in Shenmue 1 and 2 and it always felt unfinished. Been wanting a 3rd for quite a few years now
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:E3 begins this weekend. Can't wait to see what shows up this year.

My wish list:
    The Last Guardian
    Red Dead (3?)
    Dark Souls 3
    WiiU Metroid
    WiiU F-Zero
    Mass Effect 4
    More Uncharted 4
    Kingdom Hearts
    New God of War

I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the Star Wars presentation, am I?
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: Don't even remember

Wishlist: Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Dzo-nga, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Primordial, Running Wild, Steel Panther
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Kingslayer wrote:

My wish list:
    The Last Guardian
    Red Dead (3?)
    Dark Souls 3
    WiiU Metroid
    WiiU F-Zero
    Mass Effect 4
    More Uncharted 4
    Kingdom Hearts
    New God of War

I'm not the only one underwhelmed by the Star Wars presentation, am I?

I didn't see it, but Star Wars in general tends to underwhelm me, so I imagine I would have felt the same way.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:51 pm

I just went to Dave & Busters for a friend's bachelor party. Arcades have... undergone some odd changes lately. Firstly, all the beat 'em ups and fighting games? Gone. Not a single one of those were in the area. Just shooting games and racing games as far as the eye can see. Oh, and the shooting games were easy as hell. No semi-automatic firing games. All of them gave you full-automatic guns with bottomless magazines, so there wasn't really any aiming, just holding down the trigger and moving your crosshair in the direction of danger. Pshhh!

Still, no need to worry, they have a new addition as well. MOBILE GAMES, EVERYONE! You're in luck. Now you can go to the arcades to spend money playing Angry Birds, or Temple Runner, or Infinity Blade, or freaking Candy Crush! Somehow, arcades have managed to become even less relevant. RIP.
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:27 pm

yeah. i saw a disturbingly huge fruit ninja game at universal a few years back. bloody confusing....
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: FUCK COVID
    2022: FUCK COVID
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:23 pm

spooky wrote:yeah. i saw a disturbingly huge fruit ninja game at universal a few years back. bloody confusing....

NERDS!!!

:P
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:00 am

I also forgot to mention the new format for a number of today's light gun games. I already mentioned how it's now about directing a crosshair rather than actual aiming, but I I forgot to add that instead of being difficult, they just break the game into a bunch of short easy experiences and make you keep paying for the privilege of seeing them all.

So, now skill is barely even a factor in how many coins you spend playing a game.
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:45 am

I actually noticed this on a recent trip to D&B also. However, in my area, it was even more pronounced. Just a lot of bright, shiny and colorful boxes and lots of flashing lights, mostly to get tickets, but no actual games. There might have been 1 or 2 racers and maybe 1 rail shooter, but absolutely nothing I would consider playing. Some of the "games" have been around forever, and I wouldn't play them way back when because they were stupid, with nothing to them, even back then.

It was disgusting. It seemed like more proof of the coming idiocracy.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:24 pm

That's really unfortunate to read from you guys. Especially since a D&B is opening up next to the hockey arena this year.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:04 am

mooyagi wrote:That's really unfortunate to read from you guys. Especially since a D&B is opening up next to the hockey arena this year.

Well, they still have plenty of ticket games, and 4-player air hockey... And Big Buck Hunter, the one light gun game in the entire arcade that didn't have me using an automatic weapon. Otherwise, arcades are dead, at least until they start building Oculus Rift Arenas.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 am

So, just recently, I was watching a video about Ark. An open-world multiplayer survival game. Normally I stay away from those, since I'm really put off by online dickery, but I'm thinking of changing my attitude. I'm thinking of playing it and eventually building up a super strong character, and then becoming Batman. I'll roam the lands and whenever someone causes trouble, I'll take him out, take half of his stuff and leave the other half for the victim. I'll be the beloved hero of the game. It will be awesome.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:55 am

Just picked up another crazy Atlus game (PS3 or Vita), Lost Dimension. You have 11 party members, each with different psychic abilities (pyromancer, levitation, teleportation, psychokinesis, etc.) and you're climbing a tower to save the world from this evil man at the top. Only the man has told you that there's five traitors among you - each floor you have to kill a party member that the protagonist (gift of vision, so you get hints as to who the traitors are) thinks is the traitor. If you're right, congrats. If you're wrong, the innocent party member you thought it was dies, and the character goes to join the final boss, making it harder. Oh, and the traitors are randomly generated each playthrough. Did I mention there's only one healer?

So far I love it. Buddy of mine has it too so we figured out that your first playthrough always has the same first traitor. Other than that though... who knows. I'm really hoping I don't get screwed out of the only character with a party heal. That would be bad.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 am

Phoenix wrote:Just picked up another crazy Atlus game (PS3 or Vita), Lost Dimension. You have 11 party members, each with different psychic abilities (pyromancer, levitation, teleportation, psychokinesis, etc.) and you're climbing a tower to save the world from this evil man at the top. Only the man has told you that there's five traitors among you - each floor you have to kill a party member that the protagonist (gift of vision, so you get hints as to who the traitors are) thinks is the traitor. If you're right, congrats. If you're wrong, the innocent party member you thought it was dies, and the character goes to join the final boss, making it harder. Oh, and the traitors are randomly generated each playthrough. Did I mention there's only one healer?

So far I love it. Buddy of mine has it too so we figured out that your first playthrough always has the same first traitor. Other than that though... who knows. I'm really hoping I don't get screwed out of the only character with a party heal. That would be bad.

I heard it has a neat battle system too, where you have to take your characters' attack ranges into account to avoid having to trade blows with enemies. I've been thinking about getting this one. I just need to be sure I have the patience for this kind of strategy. My lack of success with most tactical RPGs makes me wonder about that. If it isn't too grindy, I'll probably enjoy it.
Post Reply 1468 posts