Captain

Re: Gamers

by mooyagi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:39 pm

I should get around to updating my signature
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Hence why I gave up PC gaming 15 years ago. I want plug and play and the comfort of my couch.

This game has gotten great reviews from everywhere else, so will definitely check it out when it released on consoles (later this year or early next year, can't remember)
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm

KevinP wrote:

Hence why I gave up PC gaming 15 years ago. I want plug and play and the comfort of my couch.

This game has gotten great reviews from everywhere else, so will definitely check it out when it released on consoles (later this year or early next year, can't remember)

Console gaming's starting to become like that though. Now all consoles are connected through multiplayer networks and every game needs to spend forever to fucking install. If it doesn't work, it's time to wait for the update patch to download :roll:

It's funny how much of a crusty old man who remembers the glory days I am when it comes to gaming :lol:
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:47 pm

mooyagi wrote:Console gaming's starting to become like that though. Now all consoles are connected through multiplayer networks and every game needs to spend forever to fucking install. If it doesn't work, it's time to wait for the update patch to download :roll:

It's funny how much of a crusty old man who remembers the glory days I am when it comes to gaming :lol:

Not an issue at all on Xbox games. I know the PS3 games are a bitch to load and install though.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:52 pm

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Console gaming's starting to become like that though. Now all consoles are connected through multiplayer networks and every game needs to spend forever to fucking install. If it doesn't work, it's time to wait for the update patch to download :roll:

Not an issue at all on Xbox games. I know the PS3 games are a bitch to load and install though.

Ah, didn't know that about Xbox. Good move on their part. Totally am a fan of the plug n' play. All went sour with the disk based games. It brought us the abomination that is the loading screen :evil:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Wel the next generation of consoles have given us awesome graphics at the expensive of for the most part terrible gameplay.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Wel the next generation of consoles have given us awesome graphics at the expensive of for the most part terrible gameplay.

That's the big problem. Games have gone Hollywood. It's all about the pretty visuals and not the actual gameplay anymore. Then, when one game comes out with a good idea, there's a million cookie cutter games that make any new ideas quickly become stale. Not to mention that too many games play as movies and not as games anymore.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:06 pm

To me games have progressed for the positive. I hated the 8 bit days of remembering patterns and repeating the same thing over and over ad naseum.

The open ended games and shooters today piss all over the classic stuff for me any day of the week.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:08 pm

KevinP wrote:To me games have progressed for the positive. I hated the 8 bit days of remembering patterns and repeating the same thing over and over ad naseum.

The open ended games and shooters today piss all over the classic stuff for me any day of the week.

They made up for that by making the games insanely difficult. Gave one hell of a feeling of accomplishment for beating something. Never was much of a shooter fan to begin with so I can't really speak to the development of those.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:37 pm

I have found memories of the old school stuff from my childhood - from the pre Atari 2600 days of our Hanimex thats games were pong like, to the awesomeness that was the 2600.

And I agree with metalwrath in that unfortunately with the advent of advance graphics games really are predominantly "style over substance" these days.

Having said that though - I'd still rather be playing GTA IV on a PS3, than playing pong :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Feb Whitesnake-/-Scorpions May Tyr-/-Arkona Threshold
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:36 am

Cartridges ruled! No load times. :headbanger:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:Wel the next generation of consoles have given us awesome graphics at the expensive of for the most part terrible gameplay.

That's the big problem. Games have gone Hollywood. It's all about the pretty visuals and not the actual gameplay anymore. Then, when one game comes out with a good idea, there's a million cookie cutter games that make any new ideas quickly become stale. Not to mention that too many games play as movies and not as games anymore.

I still like the current state of gaming but hate how its becoming more and more westernized. It sucks the games I really want to play will tank in the states so they are never released outside of Japan. Its the flood of pisspoor american shooters, im looking at you Modern Warfare series, that have killed originality in 75-80% of the shit that is spat out now. The prices of games dont help out imo either. As much as I want to play L.A. Noir, if I spent 60 bucks on an 8-9 hour day I think I might just shoot myself.

The games as movies is a very niche crowd and very few companies can do it. Quantum Dream is the one that really stands out. Heavy Rain was good but Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was much much better.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

I still like the current state of gaming but hate how its becoming more and more westernized. It sucks the games I really want to play will tank in the states so they are never released outside of Japan. Its the flood of pisspoor american shooters, im looking at you Modern Warfare series, that have killed originality in 75-80% of the shit that is spat out now. The prices of games dont help out imo either. As much as I want to play L.A. Noir, if I spent 60 bucks on an 8-9 hour day I think I might just shoot myself.

The games as movies is a very niche crowd and very few companies can do it. Quantum Dream is the one that really stands out. Heavy Rain was good but Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was much much better.

What about a rental service like Gamefly? I know sageoftruth uses it all the time. Sounds like Netflix for video games if I'm not mistaken, which means you could possibly just rent out LA Noire and return it when done and not worry about the $60 price tag. Might have to give it a try and just load up on old PS2 games :ugeek:

I think my main gripe with my movie game comment is on too many cutscenes. Got really annoying for me back when watching friends play Metal Gear Solid. Would've been cool if they spent more time actually playing the games than they did watching cutscenes. As a plug and play kinda person, I just want to play the damn thing not have to sit through tons of dialogue and whatnot. Granted, there's a few RPGs that escape my wrath on that one
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:22 am

Monmisreal wrote:Heavy Rain was good but Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was much much better.

Heavy Rain was neat, I liked how each decision you made affected the game and you jumped around characters to piece it all together. Not a game I could play more than once though. Whats the premise of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy? Which system?
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:23 pm

mooyagi wrote:What about a rental service like Gamefly? I know sageoftruth uses it all the time. Sounds like Netflix for video games if I'm not mistaken, which means you could possibly just rent out LA Noire and return it when done and not worry about the $60 price tag. Might have to give it a try and just load up on old PS2 games :ugeek:

I think my main gripe with my movie game comment is on too many cutscenes. Got really annoying for me back when watching friends play Metal Gear Solid. Would've been cool if they spent more time actually playing the games than they did watching cutscenes. As a plug and play kinda person, I just want to play the damn thing not have to sit through tons of dialogue and whatnot. Granted, there's a few RPGs that escape my wrath on that one

Hrmm thought I mentioned gamefly in my post but I guess my brain thought of it but my hands never went through with it haha. I love the idea of gamefly, especially for lazy people like myself. I used to have a gamefly account but since I havent reactivated it yet I havent had the chance to play it. I really should reactivate it for a few months though, I want to play Catherine and Shadows of the Damned more than anything right now.

I agree with the MGS comment. The first, well technically second one, on PSX was amazing. I havent liked any since the PS1 game though. The second was alright, but Kojima seemed to lose his marbles and started with incoherent rambling instead of decent storytelling.
    Last edited by Monmisreal on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:25 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:Heavy Rain was good but Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was much much better.

Heavy Rain was neat, I liked how each decision you made affected the game and you jumped around characters to piece it all together. Not a game I could play more than once though. Whats the premise of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy? Which system?

Yea, once I got all the trophies I knew id never play it again.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy description per wiki
    In this paranormal thriller, New York City is stunned by a series of mysterious murders that follow the same pattern: ordinary people become possessed and kill absolute strangers in public. In the video game, the main male character must uncover the supernatural forces behind his crime.

A good deal of publicity was generated from the developer's rejection of conventional game genre labeling for the title; Quantic Dream prefers to brand it as the first truly "interactive film" rather than an adventure or third-person action title. This game features a large amount of motion captured animation as well as branching story lines, split screen cameras and an interface designed to be intuitive and realistic. Event triggers in the game are also mainly time-based, as opposed to the more common player-initiated progression found in most games.

Not to mention it was one of the only games that had me laughing soo hard I thought i was going to piss myself.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 5 right now :D Mindless mashing of the square button FTW :beerhorns:
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:09 pm

mooyagi wrote:I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 5 right now :D Mindless mashing of the square button FTW :beerhorns:

Koei has marketed that series with pure genius. The game hasnt changed in like 10 years but they still keep making them haha. When sales drop they switch it up, slightly, by making a samurai version or a gundam version.

Its still fun though.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 5 right now :D Mindless mashing of the square button FTW :beerhorns:

Koei has marketed that series with pure genius. The game hasnt changed in like 10 years but they still keep making them haha. When sales drop they switch it up, slightly, by making a samurai version or a gundam version.

Its still fun though.

Samurai Warriors is great too. I'm mad that #3 is a Wii exclusive :evil: Stayed away from the Gundam version though :lol: They also mashed Samurai and Dynasty together with Warriors Orochi.

I've played the first two Samurai Warriors and Dynasty numbers 3-6. I love them except Dynasty 6 (which was shit) and Dynasty 4 which is only okay.

I'm dying for a Dynasty 7 to be made so I can have a version on the current console gen that fixes all the fuckups in 6
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:40 pm

:shock: Apparently there is a Dynasty Warriors 7 that was released this year! Will have to check it out.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 am

vikingbitch wrote:Heavy Rain was neat, I liked how each decision you made affected the game and you jumped around characters to piece it all together. Not a game I could play more than once though.

Heavy Rain surprised me. It struck me like a pretty good mini-series that I wouldn't mind watching again in the future, with the added bonus that I could take some different paths. How are things different if a different character dies, etc.

Of course lately, I just haven't been interested in playing anything.

Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 pm

mooyagi wrote::shock: Apparently there is a Dynasty Warriors 7 that was released this year! Will have to check it out.

Im not even going to lie, I stopped paying attention at 3 or so haha. I think I played 5 or 6 last time I was at a friends house but they are all the same to me.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    mooyagi wrote::shock: Apparently there is a Dynasty Warriors 7 that was released this year! Will have to check it out.

Im not even going to lie, I stopped paying attention at 3 or so haha. I think I played 5 or 6 last time I was at a friends house but they are all the same to me.

Oh yeah, they are all pretty much the exact same game. The only differences are more battles and characters. DW6 downsized a ton and they tried changing a couple of things which made it suck hard. Seems like 7 is much bigger and back to exactly what the games were :D
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:28 am

Damn! I spend one weekend off the internet and I completely miss the gamer train. There were so many things I would have loved to comment on. So, I forget. Does the Wii version of Dynasty Warriors actually have you swing the controller? It would be quite funny if one's arms got too tired to keep playing that game. I was entertaining a friend for the weekend, so I've been mostly playing Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii. He was decent enough so there wasn't any frustration in us playing co-op.
    So far, there's been lots of discussion of the game style (cinematic vs. pure gameplay), but this game reminded me of the 2D vs. 3D debate. I've been getting into lots of 2D games lately, and as Sonic has shown many of us, some game styles are simply not meant for 3D. I'd still be curious to find out what Space Invaders would be like on a cube-shaped battlefield. It would probably be a completely different game.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

I just finished watching an interesting online lecture about challenge in games. I know we were discussing earlier how today's games lack the challenge of old-school games. I admit I was right onbroad in the bashing of modern gaming. This clip I just saw, however, boldly stated that the self-imposed challenges of games like Kirby's Epic Yarn (a game where you cannot die), such as finishing a level with a gold medal, could be far tougher than the challenge of reaching and defeating Dr. Wily in any of the early Megaman games.

The guy is not known for speaking tactfully, and most people just listen to him for entertainment, just like Zero Punctuation, but if you want to hear his commentary, here is the link to the source of my potential epiphany.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Difficulty
    Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 am

Lately I have been playing MoH online a lot with a couple of friends of mine. Its been a while since I have bought a game, and this one was pretty cheap. I like it, but sometimes it feels just unfair. Somehow I just die so much faster then my opponents :P

I'm just a n00b xD
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Just clocked a good chunk of time today on God of War 3. Its such a hard one to put down, not looking forward to work tomorrow :cry:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer

by TheBigJankowski » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:20 am

vikingbitch wrote:Just clocked a good chunk of time today on God of War 3. Its such a hard one to put down, not looking forward to work tomorrow :cry:

The Aphrodite mini game is fun! :D
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 am

TheBigJankowski wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:Just clocked a good chunk of time today on God of War 3. Its such a hard one to put down, not looking forward to work tomorrow :cry:

The Aphrodite mini game is fun! :D

My only complaint is the Zeus fight at the end. I got that far in the game and then quit out of boredom. That fight takes FOREVER. I wish they'd bring back the boss health bars from God of War 1. I'd like to know how many more times I need to clobber him with the gauntlets.
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:04 am

KevinP wrote:Sage,

I've given up ALL Japanese developed games. Once Sega went under and AM2, Sonic Team, Team Andromeda & Hitmaker were dismantled Japan died to me. Heck, any RPG worth's it's salt is developed in the West now.

I tried to play Lost Odyssey, but it was an exercise in tedium (like every Japanese developed game). They unfortunately could not keep up with the times and have gone the way of the dodo.

Heck, Capcom and other companies are farming out their originally developed Japanese franchises to Western developers now.

I couldn't agree more with this. A friend of mine talked about Lost Odyssey like it was the best rpg available on the xbox but when I tried to play it I got bored of it very quickly.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Jebus_Cripes wrote:
    KevinP wrote:Sage,

I've given up ALL Japanese developed games. Once Sega went under and AM2, Sonic Team, Team Andromeda & Hitmaker were dismantled Japan died to me. Heck, any RPG worth's it's salt is developed in the West now.

I tried to play Lost Odyssey, but it was an exercise in tedium (like every Japanese developed game). They unfortunately could not keep up with the times and have gone the way of the dodo.

Heck, Capcom and other companies are farming out their originally developed Japanese franchises to Western developers now.

I couldn't agree more with this. A friend of mine talked about Lost Odyssey like it was the best rpg available on the xbox but when I tried to play it I got bored of it very quickly.

Well, I guess that's a sign I should steer clear of that one. That friend of yours is the first person I've ever heard say anything positive about that game.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Looks like that Norwegian bastard who went on that killing spree in Norway has dealt a few blows to the game industry. In his manifesto, he listed a bunch of games that inspired him. Now, retailers refuse to sell them. The full story is here:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... er-Attacks
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Nicolas0928 wrote:This is the most difficult game I ever play but is REALLY GOOD !!!!

In this video looks easy, but try to do that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: its imposible !!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBgxWyXYKI

Yes! That game is sooooo hard
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Ugh my damn PS3 took a crap on me the other day. Im not sure if its completely dead or what so monday ill replace the cracked dried up thermal grease to see if ill get lucky that way. If not it looks like I will be replacing the PSU and hoping for the better.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:22 am

6 more days until

Who's picking it up?
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:15 am

Aside from the fact that I HATED the original, I will never purchase anything from Epic because of my personal experiences of what a douchebag Cliff Blezenski is. He deserves his success, but I don't want to contribute to it. :evil:

Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:24 am

Fuck all your new games im playing this

Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 am

Rab wrote:Fuck all your new games im playing this

Fuck that game period, damn near impossible!
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:43 am

you just got to know the stradgy man

First off all get the notes to get the tourch from the cabin in the lake
    then kill jasons mother but dont take hte machette
    then kill him on day one eazy with the tourch

then day 2 go to jasons mom kill her get the magical sweater
    kill jason again

Day 3rd kill jasons mom again and get the magical pitch fork then try and fighty jason out of cabins alot eazyer
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:46 am

Playing this right now:

Not bad at all. Its entertaining and the stealth aspect of it is a nice break from your typical FPS run and shoot gameplay.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
Post Reply 1435 posts