Post Reply 1435 posts
Gamers
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11141
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by ShoreSlayer » Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 am

    Embarassed to admit I am currently addicted to an iPhone/iPad app game called Game of War - Fire Age :oops:

    Not even sure why I installed or tried it as I knew it was a resource management game and I tend to hate them but I think I read a review that lured me in. Turns out it's quite an MMO based experience and I found myself in an alliance with just enough drama to keep me laughing without being made ill. Liked it so much that I broke down and bought a cheap, used (1st gen) iPad so I could reduce the amount of eye strain I was subjecting myself to but then made a 2nd account for resource farming that I play on the phone while playing my main on my iPad lol.

    If anyone else is playing and we're linked on facebook, let me know so we can take advantage of extra perks :twisted:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm
    Location: Calgary, Alberta

    Re: Gamers

    by Feanorgandalf » Fri May 16, 2014 2:28 pm

    Was bored at the mall waiting for my dad to get out of eye surgery so I went into eb games and picked up the new tomb raider (PS4 edition) as an impulse buy. Wow this thing is amazing. I played the first 2 tomb raider games but this is taking it to beyond Uncharted 2 levels of awesomeness
  • User avatar
    cowboy71
    Commander
    Posts: 7354
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm
    Location: Brisbane, Australia
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by cowboy71 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:46 pm

    Feanorgandalf wrote:Was bored at the mall waiting for my dad to get out of eye surgery so I went into eb games and picked up the new tomb raider (PS4 edition) as an impulse buy. Wow this thing is amazing. I played the first 2 tomb raider games but this is taking it to beyond Uncharted 2 levels of awesomeness

    Hoping to get a PS4 before the end of the year. Although maybe not if we end up doing 70K!

    Part of a big prospective deal at work at the moment which will get me $1k+ bonus if the deal drops so that might mean I can do both if it goes through :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Gamers

    by Stained Class » Tue May 20, 2014 6:44 am

    Feanorgandalf wrote:Was bored at the mall waiting for my dad to get out of eye surgery so I went into eb games and picked up the new tomb raider (PS4 edition) as an impulse buy. Wow this thing is amazing. I played the first 2 tomb raider games but this is taking it to beyond Uncharted 2 levels of awesomeness

    I really enjoyed Tomb Raider: Underworld, I should try this one out.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm
    Location: Calgary, Alberta

    Re: Gamers

    by Feanorgandalf » Tue May 20, 2014 5:08 pm

    Stained Class wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:Was bored at the mall waiting for my dad to get out of eye surgery so I went into eb games and picked up the new tomb raider (PS4 edition) as an impulse buy. Wow this thing is amazing. I played the first 2 tomb raider games but this is taking it to beyond Uncharted 2 levels of awesomeness

    I really enjoyed Tomb Raider: Underworld, I should try this one out.


    It feels a lot different. like Tomb raider and uncharted combo
  • User avatar
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman
    Posts: 940
    Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm
    Location: Portland, OR U.S.A.

    Re: Gamers

    by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 am

    For the next couple of years I flat out refuse to buy a next gen console, so I'm playing the shit out of my Xbox 360 for the time being. Playing through the first Borderlands right now, and II have just about all the achievements for the original release. Could use some help getting the "And they'll tell two friends" achievement where you have to "Play in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who has this achievement." Anyone wanna help me out or play something online with me my gamertag is: IronGrenadier79
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:13 pm

    I play some games. I'm working on diablo 3 now, but have put lots of hours into Skyrim, and Final Fantasy 14. I mostly play PC games due to how crappy the current gen of consoles are in general.

    I also play tabletop games, and am GM for a pathfinder game at the moment.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm

    CountArioch wrote:I play some games. I'm working on diablo 3 now, but have put lots of hours into Skyrim, and Final Fantasy 14. I mostly play PC games due to how crappy the current gen of consoles are in general.

    I also play tabletop games, and am GM for a pathfinder game at the moment.


    You sound awesome. I always wanted to meet a GM. It sounds like such a fun, yet challenging experience making up a story and shaping it around the decisions of the other players. Basically doing in seconds what game developers spend months working on.

    I definitely agree about the current gen consoles. Today's graphical improvements just don't carry any weight like the first time we started seeing polygons replace sprites. Sony and Microsoft seemed to have worked themselves into a hype corner and now they can't get out because all of their games now need cutting edge graphics and lifelike photo-realistic animation. Even if some of them do believe that games don't need to mimic Hollywood to be great, they wouldn't dare assume that their customers feel that way.
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:29 pm

    sageoftruth wrote:
    CountArioch wrote:I play some games. I'm working on diablo 3 now, but have put lots of hours into Skyrim, and Final Fantasy 14. I mostly play PC games due to how crappy the current gen of consoles are in general.

    I also play tabletop games, and am GM for a pathfinder game at the moment.


    You sound awesome. I always wanted to meet a GM. It sounds like such a fun, yet challenging experience making up a story and shaping it around the decisions of the other players. Basically doing in seconds what game developers spend months working on.

    I definitely agree about the current gen consoles. Today's graphical improvements just don't carry any weight like the first time we started seeing polygons replace sprites. Sony and Microsoft seemed to have worked themselves into a hype corner and now they can't get out because all of their games now need cutting edge graphics and lifelike photo-realistic animation. Even if some of them do believe that games don't need to mimic Hollywood to be great, they wouldn't dare assume that their customers feel that way.



    I always felts graphics for a game just have to be "good enough". I don't get it when people zoom in on the background elements to see if everything is rendering at full 1080 and stuff like that. And the wave of modern military shooters just makes me roll my eyes, I prefer my shooters with monsters and over the top weaponry and crazy stuff.

    Funny story: I was at a local Gamestop, and a brodouche was trying to pick up the pixie working the counter (Like literally, she was a short, petite young woman with a pixie bob haircut and a very perky demeanor.) Anyway, he was trying to impress her with the kills he and his clan had, and asked her what she had played, and loudly proclaiming he had never heard of her games (Because games like Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Fable, and Bioshock are so obscure...).

    I think I killed his game when I cracked up, started walking our of the store, looked him right in the eye, laughed louder, then left. I feel somewhat proud of that moment.


    EDIT (I don't like doubling up on posts when I think of something immediately after posting)

    I also paint my own miniatures for tabletop games. Here's one of my more recent minis: http://imgur.com/JRNkLka
  • User avatar
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 220
    Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25 pm
    Location: Playa del Carmen, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by gundiesalvo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 am

    Being a huge Zelda fan myself the argument on graphics hist the spot. With the announcement of the latest game bringing back cell shading a lot of people flipped out. What's the point of having realistic graphics in a fantasy game? I'm much more interested in gameplay and storyline and ambientation. When did developers become so obsessed with realistic graphics and forgot about making games that are engaging, addictive and just plain fun.


    EDIT: same as above

    That's a cool looking archer. I like the roughed up finish.
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:15 am

    gundiesalvo wrote:Being a huge Zelda fan myself the argument on graphics hist the spot. With the announcement of the latest game bringing back cell shading a lot of people flipped out. What's the point of having realistic graphics in a fantasy game? I'm much more interested in gameplay and storyline and ambientation. When did developers become so obsessed with realistic graphics and forgot about making games that are engaging, addictive and just plain fun.


    EDIT: same as above

    That's a cool looking archer. I like the roughed up finish.


    Thanks. He was supposed to be an evil ranger, but he came out looking way too bright and shiny, so I gave him an ink wash without highlighting like I normally would.

    Here's another one I've gone: http://imgur.com/LgWyGBd
  • User avatar
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 220
    Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25 pm
    Location: Playa del Carmen, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by gundiesalvo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm

    That looks like A LOT of work!
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:36 pm

    gundiesalvo wrote:Being a huge Zelda fan myself the argument on graphics hist the spot. With the announcement of the latest game bringing back cell shading a lot of people flipped out. What's the point of having realistic graphics in a fantasy game? I'm much more interested in gameplay and storyline and ambientation. When did developers become so obsessed with realistic graphics and forgot about making games that are engaging, addictive and just plain fun.



    Not to mention, games don't even need that stuff simply to look good. Games with an impressive artsy look, like the stuff Vanillaware releases, or games like Journey, or Shadow of the Colossus will continue to look pleasing to the eye long after people cease to be impressed by the graphical prowess of Watch Dogs or anything else Ubisoft releases.
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:39 pm

    I thought the first three Silent Hill games had the perfect graphics for the story they were telling. Everything was grainy, and foggy, and you couldn't tell what exactly you were looking at. That's kind of important for a horror videogame, you don't want to have the monsters to be up and in your face and mugging for the camera. It works great for action and adventure games, but for horror to work you need to be kept guessing and not know all the answers, I think.

    Zelda: Wind Waker looks great. I hope to one day play it all the way through (I've only played for a few hours, it was hard to get past the booger kid....)

    Have the proper graphics for what you're trying to do is important, but mise-en-scène is even MORE important than the number of pixels and colors you can throw up there on screen. And I feel like too many games are stuck on the browns and greys too much (remember the complaints that Diablo 3 looked like My Little Pony because the game as a dark, but robust color palette? Yeah...)
  • User avatar
    Rusalka
    Oiler
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm
    Location: Pompei

    Re: Gamers

    by Rusalka » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:40 am

    I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion for the third time and this time using some mods.
    I've installed Dishonored and started playing it, but the game keeps crashing (must be incompatible with my graphic card), so I guess I won't be playing it anytime soon.
    I was thinking of playing the Witcher I again, this time joining sides with "the humans" and then playing Witcher II again (that'll help my time pass by faster until the issue date of Witcher III).
    A couple of months ago, I started playing Amnesia - The Dark Descent, but to this day I must admit I wasn't able to finish the game. One time my dog entered my room (which was specially dark for the occasion of playing the game) and scared the hell out of me while I was roaming the corridors of the mansion, and that was actually more scary than any part of the game I've experienced so far.
    Finally, I'm into Sniper Elite II these days, especially during my PMS :lol:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:27 am

    Rusalka wrote:I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion for the third time and this time using some mods.
    I've installed Dishonored and started playing it, but the game keeps crashing (must be incompatible with my graphic card), so I guess I won't be playing it anytime soon.
    I was thinking of playing the Witcher I again, this time joining sides with "the humans" and then playing Witcher II again (that'll help my time pass by faster until the issue date of Witcher III).
    A couple of months ago, I started playing Amnesia - The Dark Descent, but to this day I must admit I wasn't able to finish the game. One time my dog entered my room (which was specially dark for the occasion of playing the game) and scared the hell out of me while I was roaming the corridors of the mansion, and that was actually more scary than any part of the game I've experienced so far.
    Finally, I'm into Sniper Elite II these days, especially during my PMS :lol:


    Funny you mention that. I just started Witcher II less than a week ago. It's been sitting in my Steam library for years, and I finally got around to trying it. It's not perfect, but it truly excels at the things it does well, like telling a good story and giving you agency in the decisions you make. The combat's not too shabby either. I've been taking the human route so far, but I did pass Ivoreth my sword in the ambush.

    I just finished the "Sack Full Of Fluff" quest. Have you done that one? It's a riot.
  • User avatar
    Rusalka
    Oiler
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm
    Location: Pompei

    Re: Gamers

    by Rusalka » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:01 am

    sageoftruth wrote:Funny you mention that. I just started Witcher II less than a week ago. It's been sitting in my Steam library for years, and I finally got around to trying it. It's not perfect, but it truly excels at the things it does well, like telling a good story and giving you agency in the decisions you make. The combat's not too shabby either. I've been taking the human route so far, but I did pass Ivoreth my sword in the ambush.

    I just finished the "Sack Full Of Fluff" quest. Have you done that one? It's a riot.


    I'm surprised you managed to keep your hands off the Witcher for such a long time ;) I easily become addicted to him (and ES games, of course).

    Like every game, it's not perfect (like you said); I especially don't like the interface and combat or at least it's quite difficult for me to switch from ES combat style to Witcher combat style, but the game story and graphic is freakin' great! Also, the Witcher I is very scary and dark and I must admit that sometimes I avoid getting into combat with ghouls or graveirs :oops:

    Yup, done that quest and loved the ending :mrgreen: I should definitely start playing it again, so we can compare results and exchange comments :)

    One thing I regret not having in Witcher II is the romance cards :lol:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:56 am

    Rusalka wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:Funny you mention that. I just started Witcher II less than a week ago. It's been sitting in my Steam library for years, and I finally got around to trying it. It's not perfect, but it truly excels at the things it does well, like telling a good story and giving you agency in the decisions you make. The combat's not too shabby either. I've been taking the human route so far, but I did pass Ivoreth my sword in the ambush.

    I just finished the "Sack Full Of Fluff" quest. Have you done that one? It's a riot.


    I'm surprised you managed to keep your hands off the Witcher for such a long time ;) I easily become addicted to him (and ES games, of course).

    Like every game, it's not perfect (like you said); I especially don't like the interface and combat or at least it's quite difficult for me to switch from ES combat style to Witcher combat style, but the game story and graphic is freakin' great! Also, the Witcher I is very scary and dark and I must admit that sometimes I avoid getting into combat with ghouls or graveirs :oops:

    Yup, done that quest and loved the ending :mrgreen: I should definitely start playing it again, so we can compare results and exchange comments :)

    One thing I regret not having in Witcher II is the romance cards :lol:


    After hearing this, I feel compelled to take a step back and try the first one. It probably won't compare favorably to its sequel, but I wouldn't mind filling in the plot gaps. I do love the emphasis the game puts on preparation. As someone online said, the game strongly encourages "bringing a grenade to a swordfight". I love it when I make short work of tough foes with well-placed traps. By the way, I've heard a rumor that the craftable items in Witcher 1 aren't that useful. Is that true?
  • User avatar
    Rusalka
    Oiler
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm
    Location: Pompei

    Re: Gamers

    by Rusalka » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:48 am

    sageoftruth wrote:After hearing this, I feel compelled to take a step back and try the first one. It probably won't compare favorably to its sequel, but I wouldn't mind filling in the plot gaps. I do love the emphasis the game puts on preparation. As someone online said, the game strongly encourages "bringing a grenade to a swordfight". I love it when I make short work of tough foes with well-placed traps. By the way, I've heard a rumor that the craftable items in Witcher 1 aren't that useful. Is that true?


    You should definitely play The Witcher I before The Witcher II, not just because of the story, but because of the gameplay itself. The first game is as perfect as the second (and hopefully the third). To my opinion, it's scarier and darker and much more interesting, because of the romantic cards and cutscenes with the women Geralt "picked up" (not joking, a couple of them really are courtesans) ;)

    Except the potions (swallow, tawny owl, cat, etc.) and grenades (grapeshot, samum, Zerrikanian sun, etc.), I don't think crafting is that useful at all (in both parts). Of course, if you collect the diagrams and ingredients, you can craft yourself a useful weapon and/or armor, but the whole point of the game is to rely on potions and grenades (and your skill of using them properly). I think I never managed to craft all weapons/armor/potions/grenades :|
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

    Alright, I'm going to have to pick up The Witcher now, you guys make the game sound awesome.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 pm

    Rusalka wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:After hearing this, I feel compelled to take a step back and try the first one. It probably won't compare favorably to its sequel, but I wouldn't mind filling in the plot gaps. I do love the emphasis the game puts on preparation. As someone online said, the game strongly encourages "bringing a grenade to a swordfight". I love it when I make short work of tough foes with well-placed traps. By the way, I've heard a rumor that the craftable items in Witcher 1 aren't that useful. Is that true?


    You should definitely play The Witcher I before The Witcher II, not just because of the story, but because of the gameplay itself. The first game is as perfect as the second (and hopefully the third). To my opinion, it's scarier and darker and much more interesting, because of the romantic cards and cutscenes with the women Geralt "picked up" (not joking, a couple of them really are courtesans) ;)

    Except the potions (swallow, tawny owl, cat, etc.) and grenades (grapeshot, samum, Zerrikanian sun, etc.), I don't think crafting is that useful at all (in both parts). Of course, if you collect the diagrams and ingredients, you can craft yourself a useful weapon and/or armor, but the whole point of the game is to rely on potions and grenades (and your skill of using them properly). I think I never managed to craft all weapons/armor/potions/grenades :|


    You'd be surprised. With a bunch of carefully placed snares, I was able to obliterate an army of nekkers that would have killed me otherwise. The small guys die from one snare. I was also able to turn a 5 on 1 swordfight into a 2 on 1 swordfight, with both surviving enemies at 20% health thanks to a long line of snares I placed. Then there's the Endrega Queens. I killed both of them using nothing but grenades and snares. Snares rock. :headbanger:

    That aside, I think I'll jump to the first one as you suggested. Normal difficulty started to feel too easy, so I started over on Hard, but now the dialog isn't as interesting since I know what everyone's going to say (I decided to follow the same path as before). Perhaps a quick trip through Witcher 1 will help me forget all that so it will feel nice and fresh when I jump back in.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 am

    I just started playing Witcher 1 yesterday. The visuals haven't aged that well, but the voice acting is still good. I selected NORMAL difficulty and have been going through the first area after the tutorial. It sure feels different. I'm glad to be trying it out. How is the difficulty in this game compared to Witcher 2? I don't want to make it halfway through the game only to find that I set it too low again. So far, I haven't needed to use any potions, but I've only faced ghouls, drowners and the dogs with the strange names (Bahrgests, I think?). I'm assuming they're just the warm-up enemies for whatever lies ahead.
  • User avatar
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm
    Location: Calgary, Alberta

    Re: Gamers

    by Feanorgandalf » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:07 am

    I picked up both on a recent steam sale. Out of curiosity how are you all playing it? I noticed you get the choice between a top down rts style view or a third person camera view.

    Also if you haven't had the chance check out Bastion and Transistor. Beautiful games
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 am

    Feanorgandalf wrote:I picked up both on a recent steam sale. Out of curiosity how are you all playing it? I noticed you get the choice between a top down rts style view or a third person camera view.

    Also if you haven't had the chance check out Bastion and Transistor. Beautiful games


    I've been playing it 3rd person style. It's more similar to Witcher 2's playstyle that way. As for the two games you mentioned, I've played Bastion, and I've got Transistor in my library but haven't tried it yet. Thanks to the Steam summer sales, I've got at least 5 games that I still need to try out. Both Witcher games tend to eat up a lot of time.
  • Metalwrath

    Re: Gamers

    by Metalwrath » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 pm

    sageoftruth wrote:I just started playing Witcher 1 yesterday. The visuals haven't aged that well, but the voice acting is still good. I selected NORMAL difficulty and have been going through the first area after the tutorial. It sure feels different. I'm glad to be trying it out. How is the difficulty in this game compared to Witcher 2? I don't want to make it halfway through the game only to find that I set it too low again. So far, I haven't needed to use any potions, but I've only faced ghouls, drowners and the dogs with the strange names (Bahrgests, I think?). I'm assuming they're just the warm-up enemies for whatever lies ahead.

    Difficulty fluctuates in the game.
    A lot of people who have played the game have raged once they get to fighting the plants.
    Also the first decision in the game you make seems to have quite an impact on the difficulty of the game.
  • User avatar
    cowboy71
    Commander
    Posts: 7354
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm
    Location: Brisbane, Australia
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by cowboy71 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:30 pm

    Finally bought a PS4 today.

    Well I say bought, but the combination of trading a bunch of old games, trading an old PS2 console, some gift cards, and some store credit meant I didn't actually have to part with any of my own money for it which was kind of nice.

    Plus it came with Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and NBA 2K14 which should keep me busy for a while.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by X-Thor » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 am

    cowboy71 wrote:Finally bought a PS4 today.

    Well I say bought, but the combination of trading a bunch of old games, trading an old PS2 console, some gift cards, and some store credit meant I didn't actually have to part with any of my own money for it which was kind of nice.

    Plus it came with Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and NBA 2K14 which should keep me busy for a while.


    Be prepared to be blown away by the water in AC4.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm
    Location: Squamish, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by klons » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:49 am

    X-Thor wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:Finally bought a PS4 today.

    Well I say bought, but the combination of trading a bunch of old games, trading an old PS2 console, some gift cards, and some store credit meant I didn't actually have to part with any of my own money for it which was kind of nice.

    Plus it came with Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and NBA 2K14 which should keep me busy for a while.


    Be prepared to be blown away by the water in AC4.


    Still need to finish playing through the others before I get to that :bitch: Damn my skipping the second and third and screwing everything up! And FIFA... it takes too much of my PS4 time up...
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:05 pm

    Metalwrath wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:I just started playing Witcher 1 yesterday. The visuals haven't aged that well, but the voice acting is still good. I selected NORMAL difficulty and have been going through the first area after the tutorial. It sure feels different. I'm glad to be trying it out. How is the difficulty in this game compared to Witcher 2? I don't want to make it halfway through the game only to find that I set it too low again. So far, I haven't needed to use any potions, but I've only faced ghouls, drowners and the dogs with the strange names (Bahrgests, I think?). I'm assuming they're just the warm-up enemies for whatever lies ahead.

    Difficulty fluctuates in the game.
    A lot of people who have played the game have raged once they get to fighting the plants.
    Also the first decision in the game you make seems to have quite an impact on the difficulty of the game.


    You mean the part where I choose whether or not to fight the Scoie' te who want the supplies, or the part where I choose who to support during the lynch mob? I'm guessing you mean the second one?

    Anyway, I think my game might have a glitch. When I use Aard, it stuns/knocks over enemies at least 90% of the time. Right now, I just got to Chapter 3, and I've defeated almost all of the bosses (thankfully not the unbeatable ones) in one hit by stunning them with Aard first (usually on my first casting). I finished the Hellhound fight in mere seconds thanks to that. Is Aard supposed to be that effective?
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 pm

    I just beat The Witcher. Damn, what an awesome story. So far, it has been a book, a comic book, and a video game. I wonder how it would fare as a TV series.

    Anyway, I'm tempted to retry it with new choices and a higher difficulty, but I heard my decisions can carry over to Witcher 2, so I've got to see how that works out.
  • Metalwrath

    Re: Gamers

    by Metalwrath » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:42 am

    sageoftruth wrote:I just beat The Witcher. Damn, what an awesome story. So far, it has been a book, a comic book, and a video game. I wonder how it would fare as a TV series.

    Anyway, I'm tempted to retry it with new choices and a higher difficulty, but I heard my decisions can carry over to Witcher 2, so I've got to see how that works out.

    I meant Witcher 1.But reading it up the choice between fightinthe the Frightener or helping Triss only affects the fights against the Salamandra in the first chapter.

    Also regards to actions in the first game i may be wrong but i only think your choices affect if a certain group in the second game greet or kill you when you enter their camp.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:51 am

    Metalwrath wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:I just beat The Witcher. Damn, what an awesome story. So far, it has been a book, a comic book, and a video game. I wonder how it would fare as a TV series.

    Anyway, I'm tempted to retry it with new choices and a higher difficulty, but I heard my decisions can carry over to Witcher 2, so I've got to see how that works out.

    I meant Witcher 1.But reading it up the choice between fightinthe the Frightener or helping Triss only affects the fights against the Salamandra in the first chapter.

    Also regards to actions in the first game i may be wrong but i only think your choices affect if a certain group in the second game greet or kill you when you enter their camp.


    Maybe. I just got to chapter 2 and so far, I've only noticed that I start out with the same weapons, armor, and some of the formulas that I had in the previous game. It's pretty sweet starting the game with the Raven Armor, but I was a bit disappointed when my character profile still said that Geralt "Helped lead an elven rebellion", when I had spent the most of the game slaughtering elves alongside the Flaming Roses (I sure felt like a monster after that). Also, Zoltan seems to have forgiven me for all that. We'll see if anything else comes up.
  • User avatar
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 131
    Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 pm
    Location: Avondale, AZ, USA

    Re: Gamers

    by EpidemicReign » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:58 pm

    Image


    3 more days :D
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:05 am

    So, who's excited for some Dragon Age 3?

    I loved Origins and Awakening. The gameplay is a bit sluggish and the graphics are muddy, but the story was interesting and the characters were entertaining. Dragon age 2 COULD have been a great game had EA not rushed it out the door (the combat mechanics were faster and slicker, I really liked how every class could play off each other with each class' unique status effects and playing with the tactics set could lead to some pretty neat chain reactions). That being said, combats seemed even longer because every encounter would spawn two or three groups of reinforcements every single time (every once in a while is fine, but every time gets old). And I don't feel like the writing was as good.

    I actually have pretty high hopes for DA 3 myself, although I don't know if I'll get it until the price drops (and only for PC, because I'm just not down with the latest generation of consoles at all).
  • User avatar
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm
    Location: Calgary, Alberta

    Re: Gamers

    by Feanorgandalf » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:09 am

    CountArioch wrote:So, who's excited for some Dragon Age 3?

    I loved Origins and Awakening. The gameplay is a bit sluggish and the graphics are muddy, but the story was interesting and the characters were entertaining. Dragon age 2 COULD have been a great game had EA not rushed it out the door (the combat mechanics were faster and slicker, I really liked how every class could play off each other with each class' unique status effects and playing with the tactics set could lead to some pretty neat chain reactions). That being said, combats seemed even longer because every encounter would spawn two or three groups of reinforcements every single time (every once in a while is fine, but every time gets old). And I don't feel like the writing was as good.

    I actually have pretty high hopes for DA 3 myself, although I don't know if I'll get it until the price drops (and only for PC, because I'm just not down with the latest generation of consoles at all).


    I am looking forward to it but I don't know if I want to send any more money to EA (who owns Bioware) after some of the dick moves they have pulled in the last year
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Gamers

    by Stained Class » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 am

    CountArioch wrote:So, who's excited for some Dragon Age 3?

    I loved Origins and Awakening. The gameplay is a bit sluggish and the graphics are muddy, but the story was interesting and the characters were entertaining. Dragon age 2 COULD have been a great game had EA not rushed it out the door (the combat mechanics were faster and slicker, I really liked how every class could play off each other with each class' unique status effects and playing with the tactics set could lead to some pretty neat chain reactions). That being said, combats seemed even longer because every encounter would spawn two or three groups of reinforcements every single time (every once in a while is fine, but every time gets old). And I don't feel like the writing was as good.

    I actually have pretty high hopes for DA 3 myself, although I don't know if I'll get it until the price drops (and only for PC, because I'm just not down with the latest generation of consoles at all).

    I agree with everything you said, LOVED Origins and Awakening but 2 was definitely rushed. Hopefully one of my roommates will let me play it on their console, I traded my xbox for a nicer tv since I never play it anymore, but this might bring me out of retirement.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman
    Posts: 68
    Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:22 am
    Location: Wales
    Contact:

    Re: Gamers

    by feanorfelagund » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 am

    I have no doubt this has been mentioned plenty but... Darksouls is where it's at. Don't listen to people who say it's really hard, it isn't, it just makes you take it seriously which means you value your accomplishments in it. Such a good game renewed my faith in the games industry.
    "Mirror mirror on the wall
    True hope lies beyond the coast
    You're a damned kind, can't you see
    That tomorrow bears insanity?"
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

    feanorfelagund wrote:I have no doubt this has been mentioned plenty but... Darksouls is where it's at. Don't listen to people who say it's really hard, it isn't, it just makes you take it seriously which means you value your accomplishments in it. Such a good game renewed my faith in the games industry.


    I endorse this message.
  • User avatar
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 132
    Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

    Re: Gamers

    by CountArioch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:40 pm

    I've heard it's about as hard as the old NEW and SNES Super Mario Brothers games were. It's just something that you need to practice to get good at. I downloaded it onto my 360 a while back when they were giving it out to gold members for free and I haven't had a chance to play it yet (too busy).
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: Gamers

    by sageoftruth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 pm

    I just finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons on Steam. I'm busy crying right now. :cry:
Post Reply 1435 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests