Post Reply 244 posts
Beards
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

Re: Beards

by EvilDan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:so did you put the treatment on that beard yet?

Nope, not yet. I get the jojoba oil tomorrow, so I might try Sunday.

And I forgot one of my newer beard problems. This one is the nastiest. Having a cat that sheds a good deal, I naturally have a lint roller for my clothes. I imagine you see where this is going. I pretty much have to keep my arms fully extended at all times when handling a lint roller, because if I get too close... Trying to extract a beard from the sticky side of masking tape, without just cutting it off is an excruciating experience.

can't you tuck your beard under your shirt while you lint brush?

It's usually a shirt that I'm using the lint roller on. lol... but that is the solution for a great many things, especially riding in a convertible. :lol:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 am

So I finally did a treatment on the beard. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do exactly as Rhia suggested, as evidently, I don't know how to buy avocados. The inside of mine was rock hard. So I had to adjust. And I'm going to try something different next time, but I think the most important thing is going to be doing this on a regular basis.

The condition of the hair is much improved, and hopefully, it will continue to get softer through multiple treatments. We shall see.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 pm

EvilDan wrote:So I finally did a treatment on the beard. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do exactly as Rhia suggested, as evidently, I don't know how to buy avocados. The inside of mine was rock hard.

That's called the 'pit'. Ya just throw that part away ;)

Seriously though, next time just buy them a week or so in advance and let them ripen until they feek soft from the outside.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:28 pm

If I weren't so lazy, I'd try this treatment, too. Sounds promising :mrgreen:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm

I tried it but I don't think I did it right.
    I didn’t notice much difference to my hair :cry: maybe it's too damaged to be saved :lol:
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 am

One thing I neglected to mention is that my hair is much shinier. Looks much better. So that should be considered as well.

Oh, and one thing I've been reading about basically says, once your hair is grown out, you can't make it better. You can only keep it from getting worse, since it's essentially dead. So in theory, the quickest way to softer hair is to get really healthy, shave everything, and maintain your health throughout the growing. Seeing that I'm almost 5 years in, it'll be some time before I go that route. And if/when I shave it, I doubt I'll be in a big hurry to grow it back out.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 am

EvilDan wrote:One thing I neglected to mention is that my hair is much shinier. Looks much better. So that should be considered as well.

Oh, and one thing I've been reading about basically says, once your hair is grown out, you can't make it better. You can only keep it from getting worse, since it's essentially dead. So in theory, the quickest way to softer hair is to get really healthy, shave everything, and maintain your health throughout the growing. Seeing that I'm almost 5 years in, it'll be some time before I go that route. And if/when I shave it, I doubt I'll be in a big hurry to grow it back out.

yeah, buy a somewhat squishy avocado, you're not gonna eat it!

the treatment does improve the sheen on the hair, helps the hair follicles "lay down" because they are essentially scale-y. you can't repair physical damage (can't seal a split end), but you can improve the smoothness of the hair follicle AND improve the sheen on the hair.

oils and proteins are good for the hair because they do help with pliability and shininess. regular deep conditioning will help the hair stay soft and shiny though actual damage will not be "fixed". keep it up.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 am

Not a beard, but Jussi from Turisas just posted this up to his Facebook.

I don't even know what to say. He had such beautiful hair and an epic beard. This mustache is fucking incredible:

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 am

Ha! That is an awesome 'stache
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 pm

mooyagi wrote:Ha! That is an awesome 'stache

.......awesome for trapping food in it! :shock:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:10 pm

WizardBeast wrote:

Saves him from having to go to the kitchen to grab a snack later in the evening!
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Saves him from having to go to the kitchen to grab a snack later in the evening!

mmm, jalepeno popper remnants...
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:06 am

WizardBeast wrote:

It's really weird watching someone with a huge stache like that eating. There is a talent to it and takes some muscular control that most people don't have in their lips.

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:47 am

So I've been experimenting with different concoctions based on Rhia's recommendations. I can definitely understand why you put some perfume into the mix, but I don't really have much that would work for me. Plus, with my goatee being right under my nose, I don't deal well with the smell.

The problem with just the oil is that it's difficult to coat all the hair because it just ends up running through. I would imagine it's much easier to deal with when you're putting it on your head, but the chin is more difficult. So I like the consistency that mixing with mayo gives, but I just can't deal with the smell.

I'll probably attempt to experiment with some other things to find hat I like, but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I'll mix with eggs next, but odds are that I'm just going to keep with the jojoba oil and attempt to improve my application technique.

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Try standing on your head! it will stay on longer :mrgreen:
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:11 am

What I do with my hair, not sure if it will work with beards but if you want to try I just get a good conditioner comb it through then wrap my hair in cling wrap and leave it for as long as I can stand it. Usually an hour or two.
    It makes my hair pretty soft, I should probably do it with a treatment but I cringe at the prices of the good ones.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 am

KDibildox wrote:Try standing on your head! it will stay on longer :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:25 am

There was a consultant at work the other day who had a pretty impressive mustache. You couldn't even see his mouth because it was so big and he had the ends curling out. I was so tempted to ask if it was fake :lol:
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:03 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    I'll probably attempt to experiment with some other things to find hat I like, but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I'll mix with eggs next, but odds are that I'm just going to keep with the jojoba oil and attempt to improve my application technique.

What about some argan oil? I have Moroccanoil but when I run out I want this one
    http://www.100percentpure.com/ORGANIC-A ... oao1oz.htm because it's 100% pure argan oil, whereas Moroccanoil is a mix of argan oil and other ingredients (and more expensive!).
    You can just put a tiny amounts onto dry hair or wet hair (preferrably wet). You don't have to rinse off.
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:49 am

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:16 am

EvilDan wrote:So I've been experimenting with different concoctions based on Rhia's recommendations. I can definitely understand why you put some perfume into the mix, but I don't really have much that would work for me. Plus, with my goatee being right under my nose, I don't deal well with the smell.

The problem with just the oil is that it's difficult to coat all the hair because it just ends up running through. I would imagine it's much easier to deal with when you're putting it on your head, but the chin is more difficult. So I like the consistency that mixing with mayo gives, but I just can't deal with the smell.

dan, i have also had success with mixing some johoba oil into some thick conditioner that isn't too expensive, like a pantene deep conditioning, and putting that on the hair and sticking plastic wrap around it (hold it on with a hair band), waiting 30 min.

that might be the ticket for ya.

i also think one egg yolk mixed with half a soft avocado and jojoba oil could work and won't smell bad (again, wrap in plastic wrap and rubber bands).
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks, Rhia! I may have to try that.

I imagine many people would laugh at the plastic wrap beard I have when putting this stuff on. Took me a while to get it right. :lol:

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm

EvilDan wrote:Thanks, Rhia! I may have to try that.

I imagine many people would laugh at the plastic wrap beard I have when putting this stuff on. Took me a while to get it right. :lol:

we want pics.... ;)
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:41 am

LOL. Maybe. I really just have to get enough plastic wrap to wrap it around both ears to keep it on, since all the hair is on my chin. So it's not much to look at. Maybe I can crop a pic.

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 am

I did get a pic the last time I oiled up my beard, but I didn't make the plastic wrap long enough, so I couldn't go around the ears and had to go around my neck instead. Maybe next time. And I'll still have the posting issue. We'll see.

I keep adding things that are new beard problems. Since I am now able to play guitar again, I have to reposition my guitar because I kept getting it caught in the strings. I may have to start playing standing up all the time.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm

EvilDan wrote:I did get a pic the last time I oiled up my beard, but I didn't make the plastic wrap long enough, so I couldn't go around the ears and had to go around my neck instead. Maybe next time. And I'll still have the posting issue. We'll see.

I keep adding things that are new beard problems. Since I am now able to play guitar again, I have to reposition my guitar because I kept getting it caught in the strings. I may have to start playing standing up all the time.

dude, just use a hair tie when playing! they make small ones. just fold it in half and tie it then no problems when you play. it can be tied up you know, geez! you make it sound as though it runs your life half the time! :wank:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:31 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:I did get a pic the last time I oiled up my beard, but I didn't make the plastic wrap long enough, so I couldn't go around the ears and had to go around my neck instead. Maybe next time. And I'll still have the posting issue. We'll see.

dude, just use a hair tie when playing! they make small ones. just fold it in half and tie it then no problems when you play. it can be tied up you know, geez! you make it sound as though it runs your life half the time! :wank:

Well, it's just new things that I keep running into. Things I need to adjust to. Thought it was more mildly amusing than anything. :wank:

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 am

EvilDan wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Well, it's just new things that I keep running into. Things I need to adjust to. Thought it was more mildly amusing than anything. :wank:

it's worth a wank guy! :wank:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:26 pm

New hazard. Got my beard caught in the paper shredder. :shock:

No worries. It was more of a Holy Shit! moment than anything. And didn't really hurt. Little trimming, and no one will notice. :viking:

Now, really close to the chin would be a fucking problem.

AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 pm

EvilDan wrote:New hazard. Got my beard caught in the paper shredder. :shock:

No worries. It was more of a Holy Shit! moment than anything. And didn't really hurt. Little trimming, and no one will notice. :viking:

Now, really close to the chin would be a fucking problem.

How did you get your beard caught on the paper shredder :shock:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've gotten my hair stuck in swings (really bad :? ), blow driers (one more reason to never get one) and peoples rings at gigs and stuff, but never a paper shredder! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds pretty scary :shock:
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm

My hair gets caught on my rings, necklaces, earrings, zippers, all sorts of stuff but never the paper shredder. I would have to put my face really close to a paper shredder to get it caught :lol:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Hopefully you'll never have to :lol: :lol: :lol:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 am

AlaskaRachel wrote:How did you get your beard caught on the paper shredder :shock:

Pure talent. :lol:

It came as quite a shock. But no real harm.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:14 pm

EvilDan wrote: But no real harm.

well that's good! yikes!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:33 pm

So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 am

yeah, kim wants to get me drunk on mead so she can do this to me :lol:
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm surprisingly ok with that flower beard thing.

Also, nice thread resurrection, dude.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

viathyn wrote:I'm surprisingly ok with that flower beard thing.

Also, nice thread resurrection, dude.

Does this mean we'll be seeing you with a garden on your face next cruise? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
Post Reply 244 posts