Post Reply 58 posts
Playing Guitar
    doc
    Crewman

Re: Playing Guitar

by doc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Mute with right hand.
    Wishlist BTH2014: Aeon, Beneath the Massacre, Black Dahlia Murder, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Codeon, Death To All, Decapitated, Deicide, Gorod, Hour of Penance, Morbid Angel, Nile, Oral Fistfuck, Slayer, Suicidal Angels, Vader
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 am

Element0s wrote:See, I've always been doing that. I always bend with the ring finger with middle finger (and usually index) to assist; sometimes I lay the index finger across the strings to mute the lower ones but to be that is rendered useless when I try any vibrato.

What happens specifically, is that I'll go for the bend and the first string (and often the second) below the the bent string gets caught under my fingers. When I release the bend, those extra strings get pulled on as they in turn get released and it sounds like I picked the damn things. Sometimes I'll nail the bend with no extra noise, but I can't figure out why or how that happens and I haven't found any technique that gets it consistent

I see what your saying. Something I do without noticing that I just realised is as I'm releasing the bend I'll take either my middle or pointer finger and mute that string. Or like Doc said try and position your right hand so that you can mute it.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm

NECRO!!!

So I've been trying to find a good option for my thrash band. I have my Jeff Loomis Schecter that's really really good for my prog band but my thrash band I need a thinner, crunchier tone and the Loomis is only really good for putting out huge beefy distortion. I tried out a Jackson Pro Series and really liked the bridge pickup sound for riffing but wasn't crazy about the neck pickup for leads. The JL fucking screams when I'm playing on the neck pickup and I don't want to compromise that. I think what I'm going to do is take my Ibanez SA in for a makeover and get a Seymour Duncan put on the Bridge pickup and a Dimarzio on the neck. Obviously I'll have a conversation with them before I make any decisions but this is possibly the direction I want to go. Thoughts?

Edit: Just realized that might not be an option because there isn't room for a humbucker on the neck pickup, it's just 2 singles and then a humbucker for the bridge. Hm...
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 pm

I kinda sorta used to know all that. I rarely play through an amp or effects, so it's all in my mind. I'm not the best person to ask about this either, since I have a single-coil humbucker in the neck of my late 80s heavy-as-fuck Charvel. (At the time, it seemed to be a Jackson Soloist knockoff... lol)

I usually use the neck pickup when I want a warmer, softer tone during clean passages. But I'm also a heavy-as-fuck downpicking rhythm player that idolizes Ian and Hetfield. For all the hate Metallica gets, Hetfield still has the best right hand in metal.

EDIT: Oh, and I've been playing a shit-ton lately because I found this awesome riff that I just can't get out of my head. I know how to play it, but I can't. So I'm just sitting in a corner trying to get it right... and when I'm not playing it, I hear it constantly. And when I don't hear the riff, I hear all the other things going on around it. To me it sounds awesome. I imagine to anyone else, it would sound like a shitty metal Tangerine Dream.

But I'm still going to try to figure out how to make this tangible. I haven't been this excited about a "musical" idea in a long time. Excitement breeds work. Work breeds results.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Didn't realize this was a continuation of the previous post, but it is...

Anyone here actually use Guitar Pro or Pro Tools to compose music? Seeing as I know the notes, I know when they need to be played, I'm just not adept enough to play it, it seems like a potentially quicker solution than all the work I would have to put in to become that good. However, I could just as easily put as much time in learning the software. It seems like I could at least get the ideas to a point where I could create the structure, create a score, and show them to real musicians. I have no desire to use the tools to create an end-product.

However, I have real doubts about the ability to import and translate actual (sloppy) playing, using it as a skeleton to be massaged, and mixing it with completely artificial playing.

More than that, I have doubts about how intuitive and user-friendly the programs are.

Any amateur (or pro) musicians have any opinions?

Additional caveats: while I can read music, it is hard and laborious. Guitar tablature makes far more sense in my head.

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Yep i use pro tab all the time to compose. Really helpful for making sure everything lines up properly and there are The right number of notes in a bar. Also for making sure it sounds right especially if you cant quite pay the riff out if you don't have someone else to play the other part. Guitar pro is good
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks. I got pretty excited for a bit.

I have attempted to give the trial version a go, but it is extremely hard to use. Apparently, it can't figure out the measure (bars) on it's own? Everything is in the same bar, so cut-and-paste are worthless. The time signatures are fucking me up. I don't care if it's 3/4, 4/4, or 13/14... arbitrary distinctions don't allow me to put the notes where I want. Just let me set the fucking tempo, and put the appropriate notes wherever I want. I understand the "correction" guides, but I can't even enter the music unless it's within parameters I don't want to conform to.

Also, it appears that you cannot use it to transpose, which I was kind of hoping for.

So it's basically unusable for me.

• EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:14 am

Obviously, I was frustrated before. And decided to give the trial another go. Rather than, hard to use, I should say some aspects are counter-intuitive. It took me forever to find the tiny triplet indicator, but by that point, I had abandoned that and forced the riff into 3/4, though I think I understand now how I could wedge it into other time signatures.

The trial version is also quite limited in what it will allow you to do, so I was stuck with a steel guitar. No matter what effects, distortion, amps I attempted to put together, I couldn't get a decent sound, but I expect that's a limitation of the trial. I also couldn't add any other tracks... well, I could, but the trial doesn't allow you to assign a soundbank to it, so you can't hear it.

It seems some of the features I'd like to take advantage of I cannot access. Lots of things started coming back to me, so I also expect it'll get easier to use in time.

One question: I saw some videos of GP6 tab out there, and most seemed to have very authentic sounds to the original, if they weren't the originals. Can you steal those "soundbanks" and tweak them? (The more I think about it, you'd have to be able to, otherwise, you couldn't get the sound in the first place.)

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 am

Yeah it is counter intuitive and has a bit of a learning curve but you'll get used to it. It's pretty easy to torrent the full version and itll have all of those features you want, I'd say just do that
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 pm

You know... torrenting it never even crossed my mind. I looked at the price ($60), and it just never occurred to me. I've since found it cheaper.

• EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:37 pm

It's definitely difficult to find a good metal crunch, and it seems to be a very common complaint (guitar sound, while bass and drums seem fine). I'm still dicking around with the trial, but it seems like doing things you'd probably never actually do can create some interesting sounds. Like chaining the screamer, metal and other effects into both a Marshall and the Modern stacks. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems like they are just putting the algorithms together, so you always get the same sound regardless of the placement, so the real-life difference between amp before pedals or vice-versa don't seem to apply. I've also used a bunch of notation "tricks" to apply more attack to the sound. But this is purely for sound, and thoroughly distracting on the scores.

• EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I've also noted an idiosyncratic quirk in the way I play. I can't capture it in gp6, and it's intrinsic to what and the way I play.

I was pretty upset about it 7 months ago, as I realized I had learned to play guitar fundamentally incorrectly. It really upset me. And I wanted to talk to Jake about it on the cruise. Was never able to ask him my questions, but that might be a good thing. More and more, I am realizing that while it's not the sound I was going for, it is MY sound.

I just have to learn how to take advantage of it.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Some of the best and simplest guitar playing advice I've ever encountered :shred:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtyLsCv6-Fo
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Some of the best and simplest guitar playing advice I've ever encountered :shred:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtyLsCv6-Fo

Wow, I actually think I got way better at guitar just from watching that. For seriously though, he has a very similar tapping style to me, and I actually own those exact 2 pedals (Whammy 2nd gen and Dunlop Wah) and sometimes used them like that.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 pm

9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFXH9acDHI
    Contest for Rhapsody swag

Post in this thread more!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 am

Stained Class wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFXH9acDHI

Killer entry bro! Did ya win a belt buckle or anything cool?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFXH9acDHI

Killer entry bro! Did ya win a belt buckle or anything cool?

Thanks! But nope. Tbh I didn't really like the guy that won. I'm totally not being bitter :bitch: haha
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival