Post Reply 221 posts
Metal Menageries!
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

Metal Menageries!

by junkhead13 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 am

My dog kept me up half the night last night with some sort of issue and I have been thinking about how much time, energy and money people in general devote to keeping critters in their homes. It can be trying at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Most of the metalheads I have met are quite fond of animals. In that spirit, I would like to see what kind of pets you all have. Here's the menagerie at our house:

Dusty

Ivy

Haley

Wraitha

We have some fish as well...

All were free and just needed a home!
    Have a good time...all the time.
    viathyn
    Commander

Re: Metal Menageries!

by viathyn » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 am

junkhead13 wrote:Wraitha

I had a ball python for 11 years! She died about 4 years back, but was a wicked pet!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:38 am

viathyn wrote:I had a ball python for 11 years! She died about 4 years back, but was a wicked pet!

Definitely one of the easier pets to take care of. A friend gave him to me back in 2002 or 2003, and he has been doing pretty well since. I have read that they can live up to 30 years in captivity. We'll see if I am totally gray or bald by the time he passes on! Maybe my mortgage will be paid off by then.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 am

Oh man, we have a ZOO in our house! We will post pics soon!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 19, 2010 8:46 am

junkhead13 wrote:
    viathyn wrote:I had a ball python for 11 years! She died about 4 years back, but was a wicked pet!

Definitely one of the easier pets to take care of. A friend gave him to me back in 2002 or 2003, and he has been doing pretty well since. I have read that they can live up to 30 years in captivity. We'll see if I am totally gray or bald by the time he passes on! Maybe my mortgage will be paid off by then.

30 Years?
    Wow! Well, mine never even made it close to that. She was probably 12 or so when she died. She must have been ill or something; her eating habits got quite strange for a year up until her passing. (This however was not out of the ordinary; there was one instance years before her passing that she went ELEVEN MONTHS without eating anything :shock: )

Other than that snake, I've had a california corn snake, a grey banded king snake, a black lab, a yellow lab, and a multitude of fish.
    Depending on whether I'm living in my house in Edmonton or in my Mom's house in Calgary I have 3 maltese, and a yorkie (my mom's dogs, but she lives half the time in Hawaii..)

Currently in talks with the gf to get a big dog and a little kitty in the next couple years :cool:

Please check out my band

junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 am

viathyn wrote:30 Years? Wow! Well, mine never even made it close to that. She was probably 12 or so when she died. She must have been ill or something; her eating habits got quite strange for a year up until her passing. (This however was not out of the ordinary; there was one instance years before her passing that she went ELEVEN MONTHS without eating anything :shock: )

Other than that snake, I've had a california corn snake, a grey banded king snake, a black lab, a yellow lab, and a multitude of fish.
    Depending on whether I'm living in my house in Edmonton or in my Mom's house in Calgary I have 3 maltese, and a yorkie (my mom's dogs, but she lives half the time in Hawaii..)

Currently in talks with the gf to get a big dog and a little kitty in the next couple years :cool:

Yeah, 30 years is probably pretty rare. I have had issues with feeding mine as well. I think the longest he has went is 6 months +/- without eating. He has been eating pretty well lately though. I can't get him to eat thawed mice (he has once or twice but not again) so I have to get live ones and when he doesn't eat they end up in the yard. The neighbors probably love me!

In talks with your girl to get a dog and cat, huh? Negotiations? Does she not like them?
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 am

No we're both very gung ho! It's more about when we decide to get a place together and when it's financially feasible. The lease on my place is up at the end of 2010, so we'll see if we end up in a place together after that!
    I could really go for a bernese mountain dog. :cool:

Please check out my band

sheila
    Chief Petty Officer

by sheila » Wed May 19, 2010 9:02 am

Abigale... red tail boa... LOVE her!! Shes soo sweet. She watches TV with me..lol :death:
    #4047 in spirit...:(
    #2063 2nd 70k
    Barge to hell ... Ummm gotta look that # up . Was a blurr!
    2035...for 2014!!!
    2015.. AND our metal wedding!
    Booked 2016!
    Mrs. Steeves❤️
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, & 2 rabbits. Currently, only two(my bullmastiff, Ahab, & my cat, Grendel) are living with me. I think my roommates are pretty thankful for that. I've already posted pics of my 3 dogs in the "Un-metal Hobbies" thread, so I'll refrain from spamming the place with pictures of my fuzzy kids, for now. :cool:

But seriously, get me talking about them, & you'll never shut me up.
    D E C K 6
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 am

viathyn wrote:I could really go for a bernese mountain dog. :cool:

Bernese are wonderful! Just make sure you get from a good breeder(if you're going to buy) or get the full skinny on them before you adopt. Get their blood run at least twice a year, too. They're so so soooo prone to cancer.
    D E C K 6
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Wed May 19, 2010 9:25 am

Well I have NO QUALMS about spamming the board with pics of my Bunny. WitchBear an all you with Snake can please (am) stay away :)

There are some Pics of her *attempting* to be Metal in the "unmetal hobbies" thread.

This bunny lives cage free in my house. Yes she has a litterbox and she uses it perfectly. She's a good pet for me because I'm not home much and Rabbits area lot less co-dependant than dogs.

Oh, and her name is Pandabear.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    viathyn wrote:I could really go for a bernese mountain dog. :cool:

Bernese are wonderful! Just make sure you get from a good breeder(if you're going to buy) or get the full skinny on them before you adopt. Get their blood run at least twice a year, too. They're so so soooo prone to cancer.

Yes that's what I've heard. Getting one will definitely depend on whether or not I can afford the time/money to care for one!
    They're just such beautiful and nicely tempered dogs! DO WANT :D

Oh, and vainglory that's a pretty good looking bunny. I like the floppy eared ones more than the 'erect' variety.

Please check out my band

junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 am

Viathyn - I understand about waiting for the housing situation. The snake was my only pet while I lived in my apartment for several years. When I got the place with my girlfriend, she brought her two cats into the fold. After we had been in our house for just about a year, someone was giving a 4 mo. old pup away and I had to take it! I had always wanted one and the fenced yard finally made it possible.

Sheila - awesome snake! How long do you figure it is? I like snakes, but I would be wary of having that guy around our cats! I feel bad as I don't really interact with mine as much as I used to. Too many other critters demanding attention.

AlabastR - you win for quantity! I did see the pics in the other thread. cute little guys..

Vainglory - looks like a black metal bunny! I don't think she needs to attempt to be metal, she just is!

:beerwink:
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 am

junkhead13 wrote:
    AlabastR - you win for quantity! I did see the pics in the other thread. cute little guys..
    :

Thanks, haha. I wonder if I'm gunna end up being "THAT CHICK THAT HAS 5098605975654 ANIMALS" on the ship :lol:

Apparently our other roomie who's moving in soon wants to get rats, too. I CAN'T WAIT. I love rats!
    D E C K 6
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    Apparently our other roomie who's moving in soon wants to get rats, too. I CAN'T WAIT. I love rats!

hehe. I had a friend who had rats. They are surprisingly cool pets. He had a pic of one clinging to his glass of jack daniels or something and it was taking a sip!

I still feel bad feeding live mice to my snake, but what can you do?
    Witch Bear
    Petty Officer

by Witch Bear » Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

They all am look delicious except for snake. They am too stringy
    Deck 666
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    junkhead13 wrote:
    :

Thanks, haha. I wonder if I'm gunna end up being "THAT CHICK THAT HAS 5098605975654 ANIMALS" on the ship :lol:

I have to say...that they really do make good pets.......HOWEVER.....you need to keep male and female seperated....My daughter had one of each in one cage....in just over a month we went from having 2 rats....to having 21 of the little bastards!...[very busy little fuckers!]
    Its an economical way to feed your snakes if thats what the plan is....but believe me....nobody wants 21 of these things as "pets"
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Props to debboarah1 for figuring out how to post an avatar pic. Hell has officially frozen over. :lol:

I like dogs, my wife likes cats. Both of us feel the opposites are useless.

Neither of us like the mess and hassle of pets in the home, hence why we don't have any. A puppy is like like having another child, too much time and money for me. Rather buy CD's and video games then spend it on dog food or vet visits.

Cats are low maintenance and you never really have to bother with them. Hence why I tell my wife, they serve no purpose. They are so independent and go off on their own thing, what's the point of having one then ?

If they could invent a dog that doesn't shit, get sick, chews up your house, sheds and doesn't need to be walked, sign me up for one.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:23 pm

KevinP wrote:Props to debboarah1 for figuring out how to post an avatar pic. Hell has officially frozen over. :lol:

I like dogs, my wife likes cats. Both of us feel the opposites are useless.

Neither of us like the mess and hassle of pets in the home, hence why we don't have any. A puppy is like like having another child, too much time and money for me. Rather buy CD's and video games then spend it on dog food or vet visits.

Cats are low maintenance and you never really have to bother with them. Hence why I tell my wife, they serve no purpose. They are so independent and go off on their own thing, what's the point of having one then ?

If they could invent a dog that doesn't shit, get sick, chews up your house, sheds and doesn't need to be walked, sign me up for one.

LOL.....Hell didnt freeze over....Nymphet stepped in and helped my poor soul!
    OH..........And the dog you are describing will only need you to do one thing.......BURY IT!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm

KevinP wrote:

Yeah, we went the opposite route. Having a dog really is like having a kid (or so I imagine it would be), but I would much prefer a dog. No kids for me!

Dogs or kids. With either one, I guess you have to resign yourself to the fact that your house & belongings will inevitably be destroyed! Prized possessions broken, furniture torn up, messes made. Ah, who wants to live in a perfectly clean and neat house anyway? :headbanger:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 19, 2010 12:28 pm

KevinP wrote:

Please check out my band

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 pm

viathyn wrote:
    KevinP wrote:

AH yes....this would work too....however, then he would have to push buttons and possibly take it in to get it lubed and a battery change! [possible high maintenence!]
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

(
    We have a 6 yr old daughter and she's a handful to say the least (almost more than we can handle sometimes). IF we get a pet it's only for her benefit/experience. We sometimes watch my parents dogs or neighbors dogs, so we put up with the mess and feeding them for 1 week stints here and there, which is fun. Then again it doesn't cost us any $$$ so it's easy to stomach.

If we had to watch them any longer I'd have to start digging a hole in the backyard.

Not interested in a robot dog as batteries cost $$$. MAYBE if it was solar powered and had it's own AI then I'd consider it. Would also need to be self lubricating :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    sheila
    Chief Petty Officer

by sheila » Wed May 19, 2010 2:42 pm

She is just about 7' long now and is about 6" or so around her biggest area of her body , not a tiny little thing..heheh Shes about 4 years old and still has a lot more growing to do. She eats a xl rat... thats a trip to watch! Gonna be ready for two pretty soon. Not quite up to the bunny size yet so dont worry there... I take her out almost every night.. thats what makes her so sweet. If you ignore them they tend to get pissy... :death:
    #2063 2nd 70k
    2035...for 2014!!!
    Booked 2016!
    Mrs. Steeves❤️
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Wed May 19, 2010 2:54 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    AlabastRDisastR wrote:
    junkhead13 wrote:
    :

I have to say...that they really do make good pets.......HOWEVER.....you need to keep male and female seperated....My daughter had one of each in one cage....in just over a month we went from having 2 rats....to having 21 of the little bastards!...[very busy little fuckers!]
    Its an economical way to feed your snakes if thats what the plan is....but believe me....nobody wants 21 of these things as "pets"

Yea, I know. I've had 8 of them. The only thing that sucks about rats is that they only make it to about 4 years old, tops.
    D E C K 6
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:38 am

sheila wrote:She is just about 7' long now and is about 6" or so around her biggest area of her body , not a tiny little thing..heheh Shes about 4 years old and still has a lot more growing to do. She eats a xl rat... thats a trip to watch! Gonna be ready for two pretty soon. Not quite up to the bunny size yet so dont worry there... I take her out almost every night.. thats what makes her so sweet. If you ignore them they tend to get pissy... :death:

Wow. That's a big girl! I would be nervous sitting on the couch watching tv with a snake that big though, considering my habit of falling asleep while chilling on the couch after a long day. Would be a bad trip to wake up and find your buddy wrapped around your neck!

Yeah, my ball is pretty mellow as I guess most of them are. I definitely handled him a bunch when I first got him so he is pretty used to it.
    sheila
    Chief Petty Officer

by sheila » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 am

I have fallen asleep with her around my neck... Not the smartest thing to do. They don't mean to hurt you it's just their nature. If I get tired I place her on the back of my sofa now... Much safer!! :death:
    #2063 2nd 70k
    2035...for 2014!!!
    Booked 2016!
    Mrs. Steeves❤️
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 am

vainglory wrote:Well I have NO QUALMS about spamming the board with pics of my Bunny. WitchBear an all you with Snake can please (am) stay away :)

There are some Pics of her *attempting* to be Metal in the "unmetal hobbies" thread.

This bunny lives cage free in my house. Yes she has a litterbox and she uses it perfectly. She's a good pet for me because I'm not home much and Rabbits area lot less co-dependant than dogs.

OMG!!! I LOVE THIS BUNNY!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 am

debborah1 wrote:
    vainglory wrote:Well I have NO QUALMS about spamming the board with pics of my Bunny. WitchBear an all you with Snake can please (am) stay away :)

OMG!!! I LOVE THIS BUNNY!!

awww Thank you! I lubs her LOL (see thats notmetal AT ALL I said LUBS)
    She really does make me want to die of her cuteness sometimes.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am

Geeez....I just wanna hug Pandabear!
    I've had just about every animal you can legally have, from bunny's, racoon, reptiles galore, horses....blah blah.....I now only have two dogs....Duke is my old man...he's a 10 yr old Boxer, and "Puppy" is a Pit Bull..he's only three....BUT...unlike the un-ruley description of the dogs behavior above, they are very obedient...(They do not tear up stuff and are potty trained...) I love them dearly....
    I had a huge male cat for about ten years, but about a month after moving closer to the foothills...He disappeared and I never saw him again...very sad..

Here in Arizona, the closer you live to the foothills and deserted areas the more you encounter coyotes, and javelina!...
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Thu May 20, 2010 12:20 pm

debborah1 wrote:Geeez....I just wanna hug Pandabear!
    I've had just about every animal you can legally have, from bunny's, racoon, reptiles galore, horses....blah blah.....I now only have two dogs....Duke is my old man...he's a 10 yr old Boxer, and "Puppy" is a Pit Bull..he's only three....BUT...unlike the un-ruley description of the dogs behavior above, they are very obedient...(They do not tear up stuff and are potty trained...) I love them dearly....
    I had a huge male cat for about ten years, but about a month after moving closer to the foothills...He disappeared and I never saw him again...very sad..

Here in Arizona, the closer you live to the foothills and deserted areas the more you encounter coyotes, and javelina!...

o thats so sad! it is the same here really in some outlying areas the coyotes and also COUGARS get alot of people's pets. :(
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm

debborah1 wrote:and javelina!...

Had never heard of these. Pretty metal lookin' critters for sure.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    zummazumma
    Petty Officer

Metal Birdies

by zummazumma » Thu May 20, 2010 12:53 pm

My head banging feather heads:
    2 ringnecks, 1 cockatoo
    nymphet
    Petty Officer

Re: Metal Birdies

by nymphet » Thu May 20, 2010 1:04 pm

zummazumma wrote:My head banging feather heads:
    2 ringnecks, 1 cockatoo

OMG, they can stay so close yet not try to murder eachother???

The minute we turn our backs to our itsy bitsy parrots, they go into eye poking-nostril pecking mode..... :roll:
    A "metal heart" is hard to break apart.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

Re: Metal Birdies

by Disaster Area » Thu May 20, 2010 1:04 pm

nymphet wrote:
    zummazumma wrote:My head banging feather heads:
    2 ringnecks, 1 cockatoo

OMG, they can stay so close yet not try to murder eachother???

The minute we turn our backs to our itsy bitsy parrots, they go into eye poking-nostril pecking mode..... :roll:

maybe zuma's are actually stuffed... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:14 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    debborah1 wrote:and javelina!...

Had never heard of these. Pretty metal lookin' critters for sure.

If I ere to pick an animal to be metal......these surley would be!! They are pig-like, rodent-like hairy little beasts!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    zummazumma
    Petty Officer

by zummazumma » Thu May 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Those birds are cool with each other, they have their pecking order. They bring out the pirate in me - time to CRUISE!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu May 20, 2010 5:36 pm

I love dogs and exotic animals. I do not like cats. highly allergic to them and i find them boring as a pet. I do not have dogs anymore because they do not live very long and you grow so attached to them that you get your heart broken over and over again when they die or have to be put down. I just could not handle another dog dying on me. So in January 1994 I put down $$$$ for a Congo African Grey Parrot that the pet store was waiting for the egg to hatch. It hatched on February 06, 1994 and I hand fed my baby grey (spoiled her and hand fed her for 1 year). She is 16 now and two days ago, she bit me for the very first time. on my left palm and it hurt like a mother fucker. I was a bit surprised because I know she loves me. I can see it in her eye and how she talks and acts around me.

So, here is Ashley- my 16 year old parrot that thinks she is my kid.

Ever hear Hatebeak? Death metal band with a Congo African Grey vocalist?

http://www.myspace.com/hatebeak

:lol: :lol:

Ashley does not care for them but she does love her some Emperor!
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Thu May 20, 2010 8:21 pm

awwwww! Ashely is Awesome. Did she say sorry for biting her dad?

(bunnies never apologize)
    jassiak
    Crewman

by jassiak » Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 pm

and my boys :) ... actually they are bigger now :)

I can see clearly now, a painful vision indeed
    An attack on hallowed ground, from high above
    Alien to us, the species known as man
Post Reply 221 posts