Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1
2012 Year in Review....
  • Laura
    Commander

2012 Year in Review....

by Laura » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

I know it is not quite the end of the year yet, but....
    so far (and in less than ten words :shock: )....
    All in all, I had a most excellent year.

You???
    (and no restriction to 10 words or less of course - just decided to keep my assessment brief for once. ;) :P )
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: 2012 Year in Review....

by cowboy71 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 pm

My 2012.

Personal level - interesting. Stressful on the employment front, but now settling into the new job and its pretty damn awesome. SO great to NOT. BE. ON. CALL. After working in jobs for the 12 preceding years where I had to be on call 24/7

Family - awesome. kids are growing up, wife is still as amazing and beautiful as ever. My Dad almost dying from a massive heart attack not so good though, but thankfully he is recovering slowly.

Musically - 70k 2012 was amazing. Had a bit more confidence to chill with randoms (was so happy to bump into the creator of this thread and chat albeit FAR TOO BRIEFLY), and the performances were top notch. Seeing Nightwish and Amorphis in LA beforehand, hanging with awesomes like Helena, Kim, ALicia, Stuey, Pete, Link, etc.

Fun times.

Not much happened post 70K gig-wise for me - but it was amazing that Ripper Owens visited our fine shores. And to finally see Apocalyptica here? So. Much. Joy.

Album of the year - Epica's Requiem For The Indifferent, Magnum's 13th Day, and Elluveitie's Helvetios clearly top 3.

All up - great, but 2013 is looking even better :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 pm

2012 was loads better than 2011. I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone and took some serious risks, but so far i dont think theyve been bad ideas. 70k TOM, moving to edmonton, concerts, moving to seattle, getting my first apartment, etc.I have a lot of things to look forward to for 2013 and some things im nervous about, but i have high hopes!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 am

2012 was probably the best year of my life. 2011 was pretty good too but yeah. 2 Metal Cruises, 2 trips to Vancouver, a week in Vegas, 2 Iron Maiden Shows, PPUSA, Noctis, Rush, Red Hot Chili Peppers, started a band, tons of new friends and reconnected with old ones. Oh, and all the incredible music that was released this year. It's gonna be hard to top 2012 but 2013 is looking pretty good already. Lots of shows, 70000 Tons again (hopefully), PPUSA again, moving out of my parents place, hopefully my band will start playing shows. Sounds like a solid year coming up!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 am

I just posted about this on facebook today. Yes, this has been an excellent year for me, probably the best year ever.
    Lots of awesome trips and festivals, lots of awesome new friends. And I finally got to put all of the crap with my former business partners behind me.

Yes, an amazing year. And I already have lots of trips planned for next year, so it might be even better.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:45 am

It's been an interesting year for me. The move to Arizona (including the excellent cross-country road trip) was the big event. Two amazing metal cruises. It's been a pretty good year for me that has flown by. Can't believe it's already over.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am

Well, 2012 was pretty good for me. I mean, 2011 sucked in so many ways, so just by not sucking (and by comparison), 2012 HAD to be good. :lol:

So, careerwise, I got promoted (sort of) at work, and had bigger responsibilities, but got to know people at my office better and that was really good. It looks like I'll be unemployed soon, but I'm not so worried about that (it's to be expected in this line of work, and I've saved some money, so it's OK).

In a more personal level, I think I made things that'll make 2013 awesome. I booked 70K (which I've wanted to go since 2010), I bought plane tickets and booked hotels for a family trip with my parents and sisters, I reconnected with friends I hadn't seen in a while, I met new friends. Also, I think I've never gotten along so good with my sisters.

Music-wise, 2012 rocked (see what I did there?). I went to more concerts than any other year in my life (about 22): Moonsorrow + Eluveitie + My Dying Bride, Orphaned Land + Amorphis + In Extremo + Stratovarius, Haggard, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Anthrax, Les Luthiers, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Gotthard + PAIN + Unisonic, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Rhapsody of Fire + Therion, At The Gates, Metallica, Megadeth, Arvo Part, Edguy, Anti-Flag, Robert Plant, Arch Enemy and Arch Enemy playing all the Wages of Sin album. :deathhorns: :headbanger: :deathhorns: :bmhorns: :deathmetal: :death: :shred: :metalguy: :viking:

So, yeah, here's to more years like 2012. :bangers:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 am

2012.. let's see:

Musically, I attended a couple festivals, namely 70K and Noctis. I finished up writing the music and words for the next viathyn album, and we have been in the studio since september recording this bad boy. Anyways, it's awesome and I can't wait for everyone to hear it. It's a step up in every way from our first effort, and I'm anticipating getting some larger recognition from this one!

Late in 2011 m'lady of 5 years (at the time) moved in with me, and we have been living together in our apartment for over a year. For anyone that's met her, they can probably attest to her strong personality and take-no-shit attitude. She's as feisty and beautiful as ever, and I wouldn't change a thing. We've started a great life together as a pair of young professional DINKs (Dual-income, no kids). We did get a cat back in March, though, and she's a little adorable shithead. I was informed yesterday that my landlord would be putting our apartment on the market in 2 months, so m'lady and I have got a few months to find a condo to buy! Exciting :)
    We went to Turkey again for a few weeks in the summer to visit her folks. I love that country!

I did a lot of beer drinking in the last year, (Not the abusive alcoholic type, moreso the exploring craft type), went skiing, fishing, camping, etc. I rode my bike a bunch when weather permitted, and I've been hitting the gym pretty hard for the last 3 months.

I've been pretty busy at work, drilling oil wells in South America. I got a nice raise and bonus back in March, and hope to get another sometime in February... maybe in time to add to my down-payment-for-a-place fund.

2012 has been a year of getting close to my family. I haven't had a real argument with any of my siblings, parents, or my parent's spouses, and I think we have all been seeing quite rationally eye-to-eye. Everyone accepts my life choices and I have been understanding of theirs. I'm lucky to belong to a family of open-minded, tolerant, and fun-loving people.

Overall, I'm very happy. This hasn't been the most productive year of my life (watching tv, movies, playing video games, reading etc has gotten in the way of musical productivity), but things have a way of slowly falling into the right places if you take your time and do a good job.

While I may poke fun at a lot at people, and sometimes act like a cunt to my friends, overall I think I've been a good person [if not somewhat cynical]. Hopefully that outward projection into the universe will have a way of working out for me and the people I love.
    Here's to 2013 and all the years after!

:cheers:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Jan2012..that little dingy thing.
    Worked aboot 300 days.
    That is all.
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Jake youre a cunt

Not really <3
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 pm

My 2012 summed up:

70,000 Tons of Metal
    Iced Earth, Symphony X, and Warbringer
    Opeth, Mastodon, Ghost
    Apocalyptica
    UFC 149 (Calgary)
    Iron Maiden with Coheed and Cambria
    Anthrax, Testament, Death Angel
    Rain: The Beatles Experience
    GWAR
    Journey, Loverboy, Nightranger
    Eluveitie, Wintersun, Varg

It was a slow concert year for me
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:My 2012 summed up:

70,000 Tons of Metal
    Opeth, Mastodon, Ghost
    Apocalyptica
    UFC 149 (Calgary)
    GWAR

</sarcasm> ???

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 am

X-Thor wrote:

70,000 Tons of Metal
    Opeth, Mastodon, Ghost
    Apocalyptica
    UFC 149 (Calgary)
    GWAR

</sarcasm> ???

As a Calgarian I can vouch, no that wasn't sarcasm. My list for 2011 was easily twice that long. Maybe he was being sarcastic but I was at almost all of those shows (the metal ones anyways) and it felt like a reaaaaaally slow year for me. Minus all the travelling for shows I did (2 cruises, PPUSA, Kreator/Accept, Testament/Death Angel, Toxic Holocaust/Dead Asylum in Vancouver).
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:54 am

X-Thor wrote:

70,000 Tons of Metal
    Opeth, Mastodon, Ghost
    Apocalyptica
    UFC 149 (Calgary)
    GWAR

</sarcasm> ???

Nope it was slow. Most years I can easily double or triple that. I didn't hit nearly as much of the local scene as in prior years. It's unfortunate but it's how it happened
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:02 pm

2012 - A Review

Nice work humans!

*edit* - Read with a grain of salt or 2 though haha
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Holy shit, you Canadians have lots of concerts, then. I'd say that boing in 70K and watching Iron Maiden and Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel would make it a great year for me (still hoping Maiden come to Mexico next year ;) )

--
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 am

X-Thor wrote:Holy shit, you Canadians have lots of concerts, then. I'd say that boing in 70K and watching Iron Maiden and Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel would make it a great year for me (still hoping Maiden come to Mexico next year ;) )

Yeah I guess we should be more appreciative of all the shows we do get, BUT it makes it hard to appreciate our "abundance" of shows when there are dozens and dozens of tours that hit multiple cities that are all a 12 hour drive from here, which is just a little bit too far.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 am

Stained Class wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Holy shit, you Canadians have lots of concerts, then. I'd say that boing in 70K and watching Iron Maiden and Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel would make it a great year for me (still hoping Maiden come to Mexico next year ;) )

Yeah I guess we should be more appreciative of all the shows we do get, BUT it makes it hard to appreciate our "abundance" of shows when there are dozens and dozens of tours that hit multiple cities that are all a 12 hour drive from here, which is just a little bit too far.

Try watching ALL those tours come and go from south of the border :cry: :cry:

(But Mexican concert scene has improved impressivele in later years. Now we regularly get many concerts from not-so-big bands and they seem to like us, so hopefully they'll come back)

--
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

Try watching ALL those tours come and go from south of the border :cry: :cry:

(But Mexican concert scene has improved impressivele in later years. Now we regularly get many concerts from not-so-big bands and they seem to like us, so hopefully they'll come back)

Did Unleash The Archers go by there? Dead Asylum (also from Vancouver) I think are going to hit Mexico City next year. I'd like to tour all the way down there some time too!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah the problem is our country is so big and a lot of bands seems to only think there are 3 cities in Canada. As a result us people from the middle get the shaft. There is mor than Toronto Montreal and Vancouver up here
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:Yeah the problem is our country is so big and a lot of bands seems to only think there are 3 cities in Canada. As a result us people from the middle get the shaft. There is mor than Toronto Montreal and Vancouver up here

Yeah there were actually a couple this year that said "full north american tour, dates in Canada and the US!" and the only Canadian date was Toronto.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 am

This was a pretty intense year for me:

- First time in 70K. My first travel abroad alone. Best vacation ever.
    - Ended a 6 years relationship with my gf
    - Graduated as Engineer (got my diploma last tuesday :D)
    - My football team played until june in second division, which was an awful nightmare
    - Saw Vader and Exumer for the first time :shred: :shred:
    - Since graduation had a lot of free time :beerhorns:
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
  • Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 am

This year was my first year on the 70000 tons of metal cruise AND my first time to Hawaii so those two points alone make this a pretty stellar year.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 am

70K Round 2 - awesome!

Met apparent love of my life - awesome!

Dad died - shitty!

GF returned to Japan to work for 7 months - challenging!

Learned to love my job again/lost shitty co-workers - awesome!

Noticeable improvements in relationship with my daughter - awesome!

A couple great visits from out-of-town friends - awesome!

Started writing again but playing guitar less - neutral? product of aging?

All in all, a little more than just your typicl trip around the Sun I suppose. Grateful to be alive n' healthy and for so many other blessings. Missing Dad less frequently but first Xmas without him promises sadness. Looking forward to Kyoko's return in Jan or Feb and hoping things with her continue to go well and prove to be solid and longlasting. Fallen off the fitness and nutrition thing a bit as I often seem to in winter but planning to return with a vengeance once I tear my way out after the annual winter coccooning process.

Aside from continued health and wellness for all I know and love and self, my one wish for 2013 is to get the shift schedule change I've been long requesting so I move from Sunday mornings to Sunday aft/evenings. Oh, and I'd take a 5 or 6 digit lotto win too if any are up for the taking.

All my best to all of you and all of yours for the coming year...

:cheers:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 pm

pablov8 wrote:This was a pretty intense year for me:

- My football team played until june in second division, which was an awful nightmare

Riber? :P ¡Felicidades por graduarte!

--
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 pm

X-Thor wrote:

You sir..... you just crossed the line sir......
    :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 pm

pablov8 wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

You sir..... you just crossed the line sir......
    :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:

Lol, sorry. Couldn't resist...

My Mexican team is Cruz Azul, just look them up and you'll have enough bullying material on me for the whole cruise. :?

--
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

How could I forgot that??? :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 pm

2012 had Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Mark of the Ninja, and a number of other great releases I haven't tried yet. Definitely a good year for me.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 pm

For me i thought this year was kinda crap in terms of metal albums released.Also found some other shit that really annoyed me.Like bands desperatly preaching on facebook.hey i know downloading has in a minute way affected these bands.But fucking hell the amount of preaching and just complete nonsense posted by bands.It's a sad day when metal has gotten to this stage to promote their well known bands.
    I have seen the lineups for a lot of metal festivals get more and more pathetic in terms of getting the same bands over and over.
    It's really put me off returning to any festivals that have over 2000 people.

Good points -
    Going on 70k cruise
    Seeing part of the Savatage gig in Tampa but being too stoned and drunk i went on a quest for pizza mid concert :lol:
    Bigger improvment at work with my staff and their ability to cope when i take a holiday.

bad points-
    Getting fucked over with deposit from the last place i lived in.
    Friend tried to kill himself last week
    loaning 900 euros over 5 week(600 so my brother doesn't get thrown out of college and 300 so my mother can meet her mortgage payments)

Main focus for next year is study and spend 2 years doing it so i don't have to live here anymore.it's been put back a little to help family.
    But yeah 2012 good riddance.I am much more looking forward to next year :mrgreen:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Metalwrath wrote:For me i thought this year was kinda crap in terms of metal albums released.Also found some other shit that really annoyed me.Like bands desperatly preaching on facebook.hey i know downloading has in a minute way affected these bands.But fucking hell the amount of preaching and just complete nonsense posted by bands.It's a sad day when metal has gotten to this stage to promote their well known bands.
    I have seen the lineups for a lot of metal festivals get more and more pathetic in terms of getting the same bands over and over.
    It's really put me off returning to any festivals that have over 2000 people.

Good points -
    Going on 70k cruise
    Seeing part of the Savatage gig in Tampa but being too stoned and drunk i went on a quest for pizza mid concert :lol:
    Bigger improvment at work with my staff and their ability to cope when i take a holiday.

bad points-
    Getting fucked over with deposit from the last place i lived in.
    Friend tried to kill himself last week
    loaning 900 euros over 5 week(600 so my brother doesn't get thrown out of college and 300 so my mother can meet her mortgage payments)

Main focus for next year is study and spend 2 years doing it so i don't have to live here anymore.it's been put back a little to help family.
    But yeah 2012 good riddance.I am much more looking forward to next year :mrgreen:

Damn! That's scary about your friend! Hope he feels better soon
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1