Post Reply 41 posts
Travel!
    Laura
    Commander

Travel!

by Laura » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:43 pm

So....since this is my 100th post, I thought I'd make it a fun one and I hope you all might have something to add...

As a kid, I often dreamed of going off to far away lands and having adventures. My family and I travelled a fair amount in the U.S. when I was growing up, but my adventures really began when I spent a year overseas my senior year of college. I loved Europe so much in fact, that I went into the travel business (a big change from my major), hoping that somehow I would land a job in Europe eventually and be able to live there once more. Living in Europe again never materialized, yet I was able to travel very inexpensively throughout my 20's and had many of the adventures I had dreamed of as a kid/teenager. By 29, I had left the travel business, but travel has continued to be one of my biggest priorities and greatest joys in my life to this day. In a few days, I'll be on a plane to Norway :viking: - a place I've wanted to visit for a long time. Then, onward to my second trip to Wacken!!!! :headbanger: :headbanger: In a word: magic! :D :D :D

I bring all this up because everyone who signed up for this cruise is embarking on an extraordinary travel adventure imo. Miami is only a few hours away for me by plane, so I booked this shindig as soon as I found out about it! :headbanger: I think it is so awesome that many of you are coming from so far away.

Some things I'd love to know...(and others would probably like to hear as well!)
    1. What was your greatest travel experience ever?
    2. What were the main reasons you booked this cruise?
    3. Any other thoughts about travel?

Cheers and auf wiedersehen - tyr (Laura)
    (be back in a few weeks!)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    VyceVictus
    Wiper

Re: Travel!

by VyceVictus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:05 pm

So far Ive lived on 3 different continents. I lived in Korea from 03-06. Some of the greatest times I had were during weekend shows with the local metal/hardcore scene. Which is kind of a surprise in and of itself; for a country primarily based in K-pop and boy bandsm they had a thriving underground metal scene.I had no Idea when I first got there that such a thing even existed. It was a very friendly and communal experience, just a bunch of kids manifesting there aggresion in their own versions of punk, death metal and hardcore. Perhaps my best single experience was jumping on stage during one of the sets, grabbing the mic , and doing the vocals for a whole song (a lot of bands sing entirely english, yet speak little to none!) Im not sure what shocked the kids more: the fact that a 220lbs black guy just tore up on stage like a raging bull, or the fact that I actully knew the words to a fan favorite song. Either way, after a few moments the crowd and I lost our collective shit and tore it up, we were all definitely feeling it.

Been In Germany since 07. Nothing nearly as noteworthy music-wise. I went to my first large open air fest (rock im park, a far cry from the glory of Wacken or Summerbreeze, though I did see my first Machinehead performance ), but nothing too major. Went to Oktoberfest of course, although I have found that the greatest events are the local Fests in and around Bavaria...Yo, those motherfuckers know how to party. My greatest experience thusfar was a 3-day rager I had in a tiny town called Schlammersdorf. The town is small, but they have a regionally famous brewery. Whats more, they have an even more famous anual fest that usually has a theme, and the days are broken up into contemporary live band, a traditional fest (Lederhosen, dirndls and all!) and then a final rave/techno type party. That was the hardest partying I have ever done in my life thus far, beat the shit outta oktoberfest.

Lookin forward to even more madness on the 70k.
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:49 am

I have 2 who come close to eachtoher for different reasons.
    first one was when i was 12 years old. that year me and my sister (9 at the time) went with our judo school to sweden for an international tournament. we went to stay with a " foster" family who very nice and lived near Stockholm. Sweden is SO different then Holland. the traings were tough but were very educational. in the tounament i became first (yeah :viking: ) and my sister became third (which was very good as well)
    the following year we went back to sweden end stayed with the same family. we have kept contact for a few years.
    unfortunately we have lost contact over the years...
    the second great experiance was when I first went on a ski-vaction.
    this with my school (not judo :-) and we went to austria.
    I will forever remember the first day. we had a bus trip of about 48 hours and we arrived in the morning. we were headign for the piste at once. we got our ski's and went of the the lift. (at the time your ski's were bigger then you were)
    so when we were at thje top of the mountain I looked down. and at that time it was as if you were looking into an abys :lol:
    luckily the teacher said we were going down on foot and were going to practise on a more lvel place.
    I thought the snow on the mountain was pretty firm and that I could walk down pretty ease..... let's say I was down pretty fast enough :lol:
    the first day half of the people quit because they were to tired. however me being a real trooper went on off course because i really wanted to learn how to ski and i would train as i do with judo. i would not mis any second of it.
    we were only with 10 people left when it was the end of the day. the teacher was very proud of us. but because we were to tired it was not safe to ski down the mountain, so we had to climb up that f*cking abys again!!!!!
    i know we went flat down on our bellis and pricked our stick in the snow and pulled up us again. when I finally was on top of the abys i pulled the one close to the op, ont he top and so we helped eachother on top.
    after this we went to the pub were we had a good shot of nice schnaps.
    needless to say we had a very good group after this day which made the vacation very enjoyable.
    (also after some years i got my parants crazy enough that they went ski-ing to)

they main reason was that mike couldn't shut up about it ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
    no just kidding ;)
    they main reason was that when we looked who were coming we saw there were enough kick ass bands. added to that this is a once-in-a-lifetime-experience! i mean only a limited number of people can say that the have been on this first cruise!!!!

since I am practicing judo since i am a kid it's also a little dream of mine to travel to Japan and take some lessons there.
    in japan there is so much more dicipline then in europe/USA (sorry but its true) and i hope to learn some.
    Australia but be great as welll, but there more the wish of wendy. altough it would be great to see that country!!!

well i believe this has been my longest post ever on this forum, I hope you enjoy it ;) :lol:
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:14 pm

No " greatest" experience ever. Travel is fun, the country i like most is - the USA.
    50 States Video

plus many caribbean islands, like Cuba

me and my girl talked about and thought this must be a lotta fun. we don't like all the 21 bands, but there must be a time to eat and a minute to sleep...
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    zummazumma
    Petty Officer

by zummazumma » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:38 am

1. Traveling brings us new experiences, and new experiences give us the Truth, and Magic we crave.

2. For Power and Glory, Magic and Truth. (and the breakfast buffet)

3. New experiences give us a real knowledge not found in the academies. Travel is the catalyst for those magical happenings.
    :deathmetal:
    Flesh Mannequin
    Oiler

by Flesh Mannequin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:20 am

I've always loved travelling - not the tourist kind of travelling but really getting into the language and culture of the country I'm visiting.
    My first trip on my own was in '08 when I decided to visit a friend studying in Lithuania with his lithauanian girlfriend (who had been studying in Denmark a year before) and I was excited to see some of Eastern Europe, since i had an idea that everything was just gray and simple, but I guess I was shown otherwise.

My greatest travel experience was last year, when I moved to Rome to study the italian language for six months. Living on my own in a foreign country at the age of 20/21 was quite a change and it took some time to get used to my surroundings - even finding stuff in a grocery store was very diffrent xD
    The school I frequented hosted a lot of foreigners from many diffrent countries - mostly german, japanese and americans - and the lessons were all in italian from the beginning and explaining new words in english was not an option, so you always had to use your brain and use what you learned, since not many of the romans could speak english either.
    Pretty early in my stay while walking through the city I found a spot where the local metal heads chilled every afternoon, and I got a lot of friends down there.
    So my greatest travel experience was half a year of studying, drinking and getting friends from all over the world - I don't know how I'm gonna top that one, but I'm really looking forward to see what this cruise have got to offer, but hopefully it'll be more epic that this smiley :viking:
    I'm short, hairy, scandinavian and I drink alot
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:38 pm

I'd have to go back about 20 years and crown our family round-trip through Tuscany
    in just about two weeks we visited quite a few nice places
    it was a relaxed "road-trip" with lots of new impressions

once in a lifetime, baby
    worth mentioning is rather how we decided to book
    I knew about the cruise from the very beginning and told my friends about it; I checked the homepage every now and then
    we haven't talked about it for at least three months, when "she" wrote "him" and me an email that things are getting interesting and we should consider going there; within half an hour two one-liners came back reading "count me in" and "OK, let's go"; two days later our cabins were booked :cool:
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:39 pm

last_candle wrote:I'd have to go back about 20 years and crown our family round-trip through Tuscany
    in just about two weeks we visited quite a few nice places
    it was a relaxed "road-trip" with lots of new impressions

once in a lifetime, baby
    worth mentioning is rather how we decided to book
    I knew about the cruise from the very beginning and told my friends about it; I checked the homepage every now and then
    we haven't talked about it for at least three months, when "she" wrote "him" and me an email that things are getting interesting and we should consider going there; within half an hour two one-liners came back reading "count me in" and "OK, let's go"; two days later our cabins were booked :cool:

SWEET!!!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:04 pm

hey - last_candle! Thanks for reviving this thread - had kinda forgotten about it ;) .
    I also see that I never answered the questions I asked in the original post :lol: - anyway - rather than ONLY sticking to any specific questions - would love to hear about people's random travels (like your comments btw) - I always find it interesting to hear where other people have been, what they particularly liked, etc. :heavydrink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Dutchguy-Tim wrote:Australia but be great as welll, but there more the wish of wendy. altough it would be great to see that country!!!

I'm sure you'll have a few friends in our fair country after the cruise to drop in and say hello to when you do!

I've only been out of the country twice and both times it has been a musical adventure. Last October by friend won a competition to meet Pink in America. It was a US competition on Facebook but she didn't realise it was US only at the time. When she won and the promoter's realised she was not a US citizen, they said she could have the prize if we all got ourselves there. So we organised a one week trip to Philadelphia and New York three weeks before we were due to leave and had a great time! Mind you, we'd all only known each other for a few months.

The second time out of the country was February this year to Canada to see Epica. One day I decided that I wanted to see Epica on this album tour and the liklihood of them touring Australia was slim. So I bought my tickets from The Vault and then walked into Flight Centre and booked everything. I've always wanted to go to Canada and lucky for me it was also during the Winter Olympics, so that was a plus. Vancouver was buzzing! I spent five days in Vancouver prior to the Epica shows, went to Whistler and snowboarded, the aquarium and just had fun walking the streets and being touristy! Good thing going by yourself is doing what you want, when you want! I then headed to Edmonton for the first show and was walking the streets while it was snowing! I had never seen snow prior to visiting Canada, so that was an experience. Vistited West Edmonton Mall and spent a whole day there. Oh and the taxi drivers I had were very friendly! Saw the first Epica show and met all the band (- Cohen, Oliver in his place) and made a few friends. Calgary was next, but only for a day. Had dinner with Mark, Yves and Arien. Went to the show, saw some girls who were also at the Edmonton show. Drank a bit with them, Blackguard and Epica and then shared a taxi back to the hotel. Victoria was next where I met more lovely people and then hung out with them and some of Epica for a while before calling it quits, and then flying home the next day.

I thought I would keep with the theme of travelling for music! It's not every day that you get the opportunity to see 40 bands on a cruise ship! Also, there are many bands on this cruise that haven't toured and are unlikely to tour Australia, so it's win wqin for me!

I'm not sure I'll be doing much more of it after this cruise unfortunately! I have to start saving and travelling makes that hard to do.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:31 pm

I think the trip to Metalcamp 2009 was amazing. We went in my camper (9 meters long so plenty of room) with a few friends. Drove down through the Baltic countries and Poland. While in Poland one obviously has to visit Oswiecim (Auschwitz in German). After Auschwitz we spent a couple of days in Bratislava, Slovakia and then drove to Slovenia via Hungary. Even if the Slovenian mountain roads are in pretty good condition driving a big vehicle there is quite the challenge. Especially when there had been floods in the small valleys just a week or so earlier and half of the road had disappeared. :D The Metalcamp site itself is breath-taking. After Metalcamp we drove back north via Austria and Germany, then back to Poland and the Baltics and a ferry to Helsinki. The whole trip was a bit over 7000 kilometers (about 4400 miles).
    This year we went in my car, which was obviously much faster but otherwise worse. We drove to Slovenia pretty much the same route we came back last year and on the way back home spent a couple of days in Prague, Czech Republic and Bratislava.

Talked it over with some friends and decided to book a cabin. Never been to the States before so a new experience is awaiting. And because the trip will take at least 2500 euros minimum, we thought we'd fly to Miami a week before the cruise to look around a bit. The cost for a hotel for a week isn't that much after flights and the cruise.

My parents had a camper when I was growing up, so I've traveled a lot in Europe. I like traveling that way because you get to see so much more than you would just flying to any location. Oh, we had to fly to the Canary Islands a couple of times. :D
    We've traveled Europe from Nordkapp (the northernmost place in Norway) to Gibraltar (the southernmost point). Countries I've visited: Russia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, France, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, The Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, Spain and The UK (Gibraltar and a language course in Brighton, England).
    I planning on going to Spain in March for a couple of weeks. Oh, and of course we're already planning our trip to Metalcamp next summer. I'd like to go to Ukraine or Belarus, but my friends seem a bit scared of those.

EDIT: forgot Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein off the list of visited countries.
    Last edited by Memnoch on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:53 pm

1 Greatest travel experience ever.

My only trip outside Australia was in 2004. I spent six weeks overseas going Singapore-Sweden-Italy-Greece-Germany-Belgium-France-Netherlands then back to Australia.

Attended three festivals (Sweden Rocks in Sweden, Rockwave in Greece, and Bang Your Head in Germany). Saw Iced Earth with Ripper, Nightwish with Tarja (twice), and my beloved Magnum (who I got to meet!!!)

Met lots of great people (including, on a train in Germany, the Aunt of a guy I went to Cub Scouts with back in Australia when I was a kid :shock: )

Visited the grave of my grandad's brother in a WW1 war cemetary in Abbeville France, and saw my nanna's brother's name on the Menin Gate in Ypres Belgium.

So many amazing memories.

2 Reason for doing 70000 Tons.

Wife and I wanted to go overseas for our belated honeymoon next year and the plan was to go to Europe, but when we found out about this (back when only a handful of bands had been announced) and we saw Epica and Sonata on the lineup, we were sold!!

3 Other thoughts on travel

Probably just that I haven't seen enough of Australia!! Haven't visited Western Australia, or the Northern Territory or Tasmania yet, so I really must do that.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021(?) 2022(??) Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:07 am

British Columbia last Feb-May. It was an impulse decision, I lived there for about 4 months. It is the most beautiful place I've ever seen and for the most part the people were great. If you combined all the good aspects of people from Quebec and Ontario... you'd get a British Columbian :)

My Dad passed away in April '09, he was a lifelong rocker/metalhead and was a huge factor in my (and my brothers) love of metal. We decided to spend the last of the money he left us on this cruise because it's something he would have done or at the very least wanted us to do. My Dad took us to our first concert in '03, Ozzy and Voivod... so it's extra special that Voivod is going to be on this cruise :)

I have a really bad case of Wanderlust... travel is good for the soul!
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 am

Samhain wrote:
    My Dad passed away in April '09, he was a lifelong rocker/metalhead and was a huge factor in my (and my brothers) love of metal. We decided to spend the last of the money he left us on this cruise because it's something he would have done or at the very least wanted us to do. My Dad took us to our first concert in '03, Ozzy and Voivod... so it's extra special that Voivod is going to be on this cruise :)

I'm sorry about your loss. May he rock with the gods! :viking:

I haven't really taken the time to visit another country or a states scenes and sites. So far the majority of my visits to these two states is due to seeing a performance of bands that I love.
    Two have come to my mind. First being heading to Orlando FL with my good buddy Ricky to see "3", Between the Buried and Me, Opeth and Dream Theater at the first years Progressive Nation Tour at the hard rock cafe. It was absolutely the perfect list of bands that I've lusted for to do a tour together and with the right amount of alcohol in my system, it just made the whole evening badass. Next day after the show my buddy and I went to Daytona beach to get some sun and check out the sites.

The 2nd adventure was early 2010 when the lady and I went to see Opeth on their 20th anniversary at the Wiltern Theater in LA California. Again with the right amount of alcohol, it was an absolutely amazing experience and one I will never forget.

This cruise will be a make-up for the loss of not going to see Wacken 2008 due to the economy turning shit and the uncertainty of my job at the time (managed to survive and keep my job too, but that was afterwards). We had gone to a cruise last year and enjoyed every minute of it, so doing another vacation cruise with a unique idea of having 40 metal bands and 2000 metal fans on a single boat was just a no brainier.

Travel really gives you a more open mind about life and different cultures around the world that you don't get to see everyday. It gives you knowledge and a sense of accomplishment when putting the time and effort to make it happen. Don't think that you can't afford it because you CAN!
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:13 am

Some friends and I took a spur of the moment trip out to Vancouver during the olympics. We crashed with my friend Carly (who is also joining us on this cruise). It was one of those trips that was just a good time. We didn't really have anything planned the whole trip we just kind of did things (lots of drinking) and the whole thing was a blast, the only trip I have ever gone on that didn't have a single problem. Not to mention the entire city was a giant party and I got to see Our Lady Peace for free.

First heard about it at a Stratovarius concert September of 09 and the lineup then was already good enough to sell me on it. I wasn't sure if I would be able to find anyone else to come on this trip with me or if I would be able to afford it, but it got brought up in conversation and I decided screw it, I'm young, I have the rest of my life to pay off debt but how often does something like this happen.

My dad was in a 4-wheeling club when I was young and I was in boy scouts so I was camping out in the mountains every other weekend for a few years. It started to get repetetive so that made me want to see the rest of the world. Now that I'm done school I can finally start doing that!
    Places I already have plans to visit: Miami, Mexico, Vegas, London, Paris, Amsertdam, Hamburgh, Wacken 2011, Tomatina Festival.
    Places I want to go eventually: Mombasa, Indonesia, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Cabo San Lucas, Hawaii, Brazil (possibly Rock In Rio), Donnington (Download Festival)
    Any suggestions on other places worth seeing?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Samhain wrote:1. What was your greatest travel experience ever?
    British Columbia last Feb-May. It was an impulse decision, I lived there for about 4 months. It is the most beautiful place I've ever seen and for the most part the people were great. If you combined all the good aspects of people from Quebec and Ontario... you'd get a British Columbian :)

I have a really bad case of Wanderlust... travel is good for the soul!

Samhain - so sorry to hear about your Dad! :cry: You are a young person - he must have been relatively young as well!? :shock: Really nice what you said about him - what good memories you have.
    I'm totally with you on your Wanderlust comment btw.... :cheers:
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:11 pm

tyrwoman wrote:
    Samhain - so sorry to hear about your Dad! :cry: You are a young person - he must have been relatively young as well!? :shock: Really nice what you said about him - what good memories you have.
    I'm totally with you on your Wanderlust comment btw.... :cheers:

He was 51 but I like to think battling cancer gets you into Valhalla :) He's with Dio and Dime now!
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I hope you'll keep up such nice thoughts! sorry for your loss!
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Stained Class wrote:Not to mention the entire city was a giant party and I got to see Our Lady Peace for free.

Our Lady Peace were playing around the time of the Olympics?! How did I miss that?! :?
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:56 pm

Evican wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Not to mention the entire city was a giant party and I got to see Our Lady Peace for free.

Our Lady Peace were playing around the time of the Olympics?! How did I miss that?! :?

There were actually a shitload of free shows on during the olympics.
    http://vancouverscene.wordpress.com/201 ... -richmond/
    I'm not sure how well the advertised it but there were a loooooooot of people there. That park was completely full of people. The only shows that were on that I wouldve cared to see were Our Lady Peace, Deadmau5 and Alexisonfire. Deadmau5 was apparently full 8 hours before the show started and Alexisonfire was cancelled because the barriers collapsed 15 seconds in to the first song.

I just read you're post. It's too bad I wasn't on the forums earlier otherwise we couldve met up in Vancouver/at the Epica show in Calgary! That show was awesome, I had actually never heard anything by Epica before and I decided to check them out. I pretty much drooled when they played the metal imperial march, the inner nerd in me got some attention at that show :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Stained Class wrote:[There were actually a shitload of free shows on during the olympics.
    http://vancouverscene.wordpress.com/201 ... -richmond/
    I'm not sure how well the advertised it but there were a loooooooot of people there. That park was completely full of people. The only shows that were on that I wouldve cared to see were Our Lady Peace, Deadmau5 and Alexisonfire. Deadmau5 was apparently full 8 hours before the show started and Alexisonfire was cancelled because the barriers collapsed 15 seconds in to the first song.

I just read you're post. It's too bad I wasn't on the forums earlier otherwise we couldve met up in Vancouver/at the Epica show in Calgary! That show was awesome, I had actually never heard anything by Epica before and I decided to check them out. I pretty much drooled when they played the metal imperial march, the inner nerd in me got some attention at that show :mrgreen:

I probably should have checked that out when I was there as I really didn't plan anything except Whistler while in Vancouver. Oh well, maybe one day!

It is! But were these forums operational in February? Lol. The Imperial March is great! Have you heard anything else that they cover on the Classical Conspiracy? Did you happen to do the Meet and Greet before the show in Calgary? Or did you you get anywhere near the front during the show?
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Evican wrote:I probably should have checked that out when I was there as I really didn't plan anything except Whistler while in Vancouver. Oh well, maybe one day!

It is! But were these forums operational in February? Lol. The Imperial March is great! Have you heard anything else that they cover on the Classical Conspiracy? Did you happen to do the Meet and Greet before the show in Calgary? Or did you you get anywhere near the front during the show?

Not sure, I didn't book my cabin until August. I did! My favourite songs are the songs that weren't covers though but remakes of their own songs. I didn't do the meet and greet and didn't get near the front. The guy I was with was in crutches so we had to hang back, still an awesome show though! Did you get to spend much time in our mountains?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Stained Class wrote:Not sure, I didn't book my cabin until August. I did! My favourite songs are the songs that weren't covers though but remakes of their own songs. I didn't do the meet and greet and didn't get near the front. The guy I was with was in crutches so we had to hang back, still an awesome show though! Did you get to spend much time in our mountains?

As did I. Definitely! But I love In The Hall Of The Mountain King just as much. I see. I have this weird thing with faces, so if I saw you I might actually remember you. Unfortunately I didn't. I was in Calgary just for the day. I spent three days in Edmonton and two in Victoria though.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Evican wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Not sure, I didn't book my cabin until August. I did! My favourite songs are the songs that weren't covers though but remakes of their own songs. I didn't do the meet and greet and didn't get near the front. The guy I was with was in crutches so we had to hang back, still an awesome show though! Did you get to spend much time in our mountains?

As did I. Definitely! But I love In The Hall Of The Mountain King just as much. I see. I have this weird thing with faces, so if I saw you I might actually remember you. Unfortunately I didn't. I was in Calgary just for the day. I spent three days in Edmonton and two in Victoria though.

/PM'd
    So that picture of you with Simone Simmons is from the Calgary show?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Stained Class wrote:/PM'd
    So that picture of you with Simone Simmons is from the Calgary show?

That picture is from Edmonton. They were all shocked that I'd travelled all the way to Canada to see them. I didn't get a photo with them in Calgary, but I got a group shot in Victoria without Oliver. You'll see them in my photo albums. :mrgreen:

I have two whole albums with of photos from Edmonton and Calgary and Martyr Of The Free Word video from Edmonton and Tides Of Time video from Calgary.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Evican wrote:... They were all shocked that I'd travelled all the way to Canada to see them.

I think I mentioned this already when I posted photos from Accept, but the guy in front of me flew in from Tazmania for that show...
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Disaster Area wrote:I think I mentioned this already when I posted photos from Accept, but the guy in front of me flew in from Tazmania for that show...

Haha! Bloody Tasmanians! But that's not surprising, they have to fly to get to anywhere interesting! Except Melbourne maybe. :lol:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:18 pm

With all the chaos in Europe with the "Arctic Conditions"-doesn't look so bad ;) , hopefully before the date to depart everything for our European Friends will be bright and sunny!
    I chose not to fly thru Chicago or Minni as they can have some brutal storms.
    Evican-- have you ever read the Australian Travel Advisory warnings for Canada?
    - Winter blizzards make driving dangerous
    -Don't snowmobile
    -Wild Fires can break out without warning(no shit--just like everywhere else in the world)
    -Bears aren't THAT cuddly--
    -Terrorism risk(!) Hope you felt safe in Edmonton-- snow, winter roads, probably some one asked you for change but said Thanks when you declined/or gave him some
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:59 pm

gnoff wrote:This site

http://www.metaltravelguide.com/

seems to be, more or less, up and running again.
    Even though it's down for maintenance right now :lol:
    It was working a few hours ago though.

A mate of mine started that page back in 2002, but others have now taken over.
    I used to use it when I went travelling to new cities, to find cool metal places.

I love that site! I linked to it somewhere on some thread a while ago, it's cool to see someone else that uses it. It's definitely an excellent resource.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 am

Since I never answered my own questions at the top of the thread....here they are!
    My entire senior year of college living abroad in Europe - being 21 and living in Europe was mind-blowing - responsible for putting me on a different career path, creating my irrepressible travel wanderlust....basically changing my life!
    A few pictures fromm 1982-83....

Rented a van with 5 other friends (there were 65 UIUC students in my program) and spent nearly two weeks traveling in Germany and Austria. The "Da, Da, Da" on the van was torn off of a sign in a Paris Metro station - that silly German song by the band Trio was the big radio hit at the time (I imagine Lal@ and at least a few others remember it ;) ) - the sign got a lot of attention from passerby's on our trip - people would even honk, roll down their windows, starting singing "da, da, da," "Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht" :lol: still makes me laugh thinking of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSwJ2rjUSdc

Oktoberfest in Munich (and I think the most beer I've ever drank in one day :cheers: - litre beers rule!)

Mont Saint-Michel, France (Spring 1983)

Istanbul, Turkey (May 1983) - took a 3 week trip to the Greek Islands and Turkey with one of my best friends -
    most adventurous and exotic trip of my school year)

:cheers: :deathmetal: :heavydrink: :headbanger: :party: :shred: :givebeer: :viking:

Love seeing new places, learning about other cultures, meeting new people....LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
    and I plan to keep doing it for many years to come
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 am

tyrwoman wrote:
    Istanbul, Turkey (May 1983) - took a 3 week trip to the Greek Islands and Turkey with one of my best friends -
    most adventurous and exotic trip of my school year)

I have stood on this very same patch of ground!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 am

Disaster Area wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:
    most adventurous and exotic trip of my school year.

I have stood on this very same patch of ground!

Nice Craig! We loved Istanbul - spent about 6 days there. Can't believe I've never been back - although a big trip throughout Turkey is definitely on my "bucket list" (would especially like to visit Ephesus and Cappadocia). I'm really looking forward to meeting Nilay and learning more about Turkey! :cheers:
    Le G@SP
    Oiler

by Le G@SP » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 am

These last 3 years i travelled for my hollidays to Canada (Québec & Ontario), Morocco, the Bahamas, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, USA (Philadelphia, Washington DC - for the MEGADETH Rust In Peace Tour \m/ - and New York), Austria, Spain, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, UK, Poland and Switzerland. I use or used to go to Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy and Luxembourg for festivals and shows :metalguy:

I really like to travel, I was completely agoraphobic at a time so I try to make up for lost time a little bit. I hope to go someday to Australia (my dream!), Japan, Cyprus, Iceland and so on!

I chose this cruise because I think it's something to do at least once in a life :D And because the line-up is awesome too! But after this trip I'll have to eat pasta all days during 6 months :lol:
  • waldmensch
    Crewman

by waldmensch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:13 am

You can see some travel and holiday picture from me

http://www.xn--schnffelstck-glbg.net/gallery/Urlaub

China 2008, Vienna in Austria 2010, South Tirol 2009 and many more
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am

WARNING : BIG WALL OF TEXT

To say that traveling is just a hobby for me would be an understatement.
    By this stage it's a way of life for me.Something i need jsut to feel good nowadays.

I guess i never really did like Ireland.
    DIdn't enjoy been taken out of Germany when i was 5 and at first found it very hard to adopt.I still to this day feel it not the country for me and never will be.

When i was younger i guess i'd travel with family on Holidays to Portugal and Tenerife on family holidays.Didn't enjoy them to be honest.Nothing fun about tourist spots.Don't lke the idea of traveling from one country just to get stuck in another country with the same peole from your country you travel to avoid being around.

Wasn't very good at School and went i finoshed i decided against college because i ddin't know what i wanted to do(I still don't)
    Was told because i didn't go to college at 17 to either get a job or i'd be thrown out of the house by my parents.
    First time i traveled on my own was that summer to see a French student that was a lodger in my house.
    She lived on a farm which wasn't very exciting but we went to some interesting places.Got to see some underground caves and shit and we met some random black metal dudes and got stoned with them :mrgreen:

My next trip wasn't for a few years later i think.It was 2004,Me and some friends(One of them being Ravenlords brother) decided to head to a metal festival in Germany known as Wacken.
    We went there and had a god laugh.Got completly shitfaced.I didn't sleep for 4 days.Met some really strange metalhesds.Some 40 year old Norwegian guy who kept banging on this bus befause he saw the Norwegian flag on it and though that somehow trying to wake them at 4am would work.Then he stole their tshirts outside and traded them to some German guy for a joint. :lol:
    There was also some random drunk French guy we found in a ditch and a Danish guy who was jsut too stoned to find his tent.

The year after i decided i had to go to Germany for a metal festival again.But this time i ditched the idea of going to Wacken for Earthshaker festival because Manowar were playing with every past and present member.This is the first festival me and Ravenlord went to together2 other Irish friends came too..To this day it was still the best show i ever been to.It's sad what the band have become now over the past few years.
    This was a very special festival because i made 2 of my best friends to these days there.Carl from Seattle who will be on the cruise and Magnus from Sweden.
    The first day i emt these guys was fucking hillarious.The Swedish were calling us over to camp beside them.First thing we saw when we got there was some fat drunk Swedish guy running and falling over onto the ground and passing out.Also his Swedish friends has deliberatly snapped his tent poles on him so he had half a tent :lol:
    The camp ground where we stayed was surrounded by peopel from different countries.Later that nigth a group of us were completly hammered standing around in the rain barechested singing Manowar songs pissed off our heads.2 of the guys were even have a competition to see who could make the biggest dent in the keg with their heads.

I left that festival knowing it was my only trip for the summer and egerly awaiting what traveling adventures i would have in 06.

TGhe in 06 i decided to go to Sweden rock festival with my Swedish friends.i flew into Stockholm and hey picked me up and drove all the way there which was pretty cool of them considering how long the fucking drive is.
    Sweden rock was a completly different atmosphere to the fstivals i'd been to in Germany.Much warmer too.I got burnt to a crisp.My skin actually went pink.
    I remember one of the Swedish guys i met the first day had to go bring me back to our campsites because soem other Swedes told him that his friend(me who he had just met that day) was lying pased out in the middle of their campsite.Damn Swedes kept giving me free beer and jager.
    Also apparently i told the security i was a viking and started making big roars and pureed a horn full of beer all overmyself.
    My Swedish friend Simon who is coming on this cruise i met for the first time at this festival.
    Was kinda funny because when he was bringing me back he stoped to talk to someone and when he turned around i was gone.Then he had to go around the campground searching for me again and i ventually got back to the campsite passed out in my tent with no top on the tent wide open.Which is not a good idea considering how cold it gets those nights.I also got so drunk that i couldn't get out of my tent to take a piss.So i used a bottle and then threw the bottle out of the tent.Some idiot actually nearly drank it when they were drunk :lol:
    After Sweden rock was finished i drove back with my friend Magnus and stayed at his house for what was supposed to be just a day or 2.
    But on the last day i got really drunk and decided i was gonna stay in Sweden for another week.So i lied to my work and told them that i lost my passport and that i had to wait a week to get a provisional one issued to re-entre the country.
    Then on the day before i had to go back i got really shitfaced again and went wandering from the party and my friends had to search around the estate only to find me drinking with some other random people they had never met before at their house.

When i got back to Ireland i said to myself fuck this i'm moving to Sweden.
    A few weeks later i went abroad again to Germany for Earthshaker 06.This time with a larger group of Irish friends.This time the festival was in kreuth and it was a fucking pain to get too.I think it took about 6 hours on train to get there.So we pulled out a stereo and just got drunk on the train blaring metal.needless to say nobody else would enter our carriage.The lack of air conditioning on regional trains sucks by the way.
    once we got there we had to climb a big fucking hill.I hate hills when you have a rucksack!!!
    Then when we got there most of the campspace was taken so there was no flat ground available so we has to camp on the slope of a hill.It was pain in the ass to sleep in those tents like that.Was once again a great festival.Met some really fucking cool Germans and the night Hammerfall played me and them decided to get fucking slaughtered drunk,skip all the bands and then go watch Hammerfall.This was resulted in me crowdsurfing with a bleeding nose and falling on my head and geting sick and falling down a hill.
    The last night there was a massive Lightning Storm.They tried to evacuate the stage area but Edguy refused to leave the stage and wanted to play in the lightning so all the fans wouldn't move either cause they wanted to see Edguy play.After a lot of arguing they finally got them to get off stage until the storm passed.
    Nevermore were supposed tp play that night but i heard that the reason they couldn't get to the festival was cause of the weather.
    Then after the bands played Lightning reigned down on the campground for about 8 hours litteraly striking the ground in front of your tent.
    Was a very interesting experience.
    A few weeks later i quit my job and went to Wacken.My friend from Seattle and Sweden also came .We decided that the whole group from Earthshaker o5 would have a reunion at this festival.
    First night the bands played i got too drunk and passed out in my friends tent because i couldn't walk back to my own campsite.
    I woke up and asked some guy when the first band was on and then he told me that they had already played.
    Also Ravenlords brother pegged down my tent zips one morning.I was going fucking mad haha.
    Only saw 2 bands that festival but had great fun with my friends.
    2 days after i got back to Ireland i booekd a flight to Sweden.Texted my family saying.I'm moving to Sweden.Cyas around.
    Then lived there for 4 months in a small town called Fagersta getting drunk and parying a lot with my friends there.I remember one day me and Simon were smoking out of a being for about 8 hours straight :lol:
    Lots of hillarious parties.
    The end of my fun though was soon coming to an end for i did not learn any Swedish or try to get a job and my money was running out.
    So i decided to do somethign epic before i went back.
    This was the metal cruise in 06 with Annihilator,Grand Magus,Morgana Lefay and the Haunted playing.the day started off my geting wasted on the train on the way to Stockholm.Ariving on the boat pretty drunk.Buying crates of tax free beer.I got lsot on the crusie for horus when i was drunk trying to find my cabin.
    Somehow managed to see every band but lsot my tshirt and beer which i found the next day.
    So the next day when i found my remainging beers i made it a mission to drink them all before i got off the cruise.I ended up losing my friends and going to the pub with some randomers.Then to another bar after that one closed and hen woke up with a bunch of random people somewhere in Stockholm.
    The problem about this was that i hada flight that day.And all my stuff was hours away in Fagersta.Needless to say i mised the flight.had to get sent money to fly back home and then moved back to Ireland 2 weks later with no job there.

I'll finish this some other time as i've gotten bored of typing :lol:
    Le G@SP
    Oiler

by Le G@SP » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 am

YEAH! I was at the Earthshaker '05 and '06 too ;) And I was at all the Wacken from '02 (except the '05). Maybe there is allready a thread about the metal festivals?
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Metalwrath wrote:WARNING : BIG WALL OF TEXT
    Was told because i didn't go to college at 17 to either get a job or i'd be thrown out of the house by my parents.

And? What happend?
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Lal@ wrote:

And? What happend?

Well i got a job of course :lol:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 pm

To say that traveling is just a hobby for me would be an understatement.
    By this stage it's a way of life for me.Something i need jsut to feel good nowadays.

I guess i never really did like Ireland.
    DIdn't enjoy been taken out of Germany when i was 5 and at first found it very hard to adopt.I still to this day feel it not the country for me and never will be.

When i was younger i guess i'd travel with family on Holidays to Portugal and Tenerife on family holidays.Didn't enjoy them to be honest.Nothing fun about tourist spots.Don't lke the idea of traveling from one country just to get stuck in another country with the same peole from your country you travel to avoid being around.

Wasn't very good at School and went i finoshed i decided against college because i ddin't know what i wanted to do(I still don't)
    First time i traveled on my own was that summer to see a French student that was a lodger in my house.
    She lived on a farm which wasn't very exciting but we went to some interesting places.Got to see some underground caves and shit and we met some random black metal dudes and got stoned with them :mrgreen:

My next trip wasn't for a few years later i think.It was 2004,Me and some friends(One of them being Ravenlords brother) decided to head to a metal festival in Germany known as Wacken.
    We went there and had a god laugh.Got completly shitfaced.I didn't sleep for 4 days.Met some really strange metalhesds.Some 40 year old Norwegian guy who kept banging on this bus befause he saw the Norwegian flag on it and though that somehow trying to wake them at 4am would work.Then he stole their tshirts outside and traded them to some German guy for a joint. :lol:
    There was also some random drunk French guy we found in a ditch and a Danish guy who was jsut too stoned to find his tent.

The year after i decided i had to go to Germany for a metal festival again.But this time i ditched the idea of going to Wacken for Earthshaker festival because Manowar were playing with every past and present member.This is the first festival me and Ravenlord went to together2 other Irish friends came too..To this day it was still the best show i ever been to.It's sad what the band have become now over the past few years.
    This was a very special festival because i made 2 of my best friends to these days there.Carl from Seattle who will be on the cruise and Magnus from Sweden.
    The first day i emt these guys was fucking hillarious.The Swedish were calling us over to camp beside them.First thing we saw when we got there was some fat drunk Swedish guy running and falling over onto the ground and passing out.Also his Swedish friends has deliberatly snapped his tent poles on him so he had half a tent :lol:
    The camp ground where we stayed was surrounded by peopel from different countries.Later that nigth a group of us were completly hammered standing around in the rain barechested singing Manowar songs pissed off our heads.2 of the guys were even have a competition to see who could make the biggest dent in the keg with their heads.

I left that festival knowing it was my only trip for the summer and egerly awaiting what traveling adventures i would have in 06.

TGhe in 06 i decided to go to Sweden rock festival with my Swedish friends.i flew into Stockholm and hey picked me up and drove all the way there which was pretty cool of them considering how long the fucking drive is.
    Sweden rock was a completly different atmosphere to the fstivals i'd been to in Germany.Much warmer too.I got burnt to a crisp.My skin actually went pink.
    I remember one of the Swedish guys i met the first day had to go bring me back to our campsites because soem other Swedes told him that his friend(me who he had just met that day) was lying pased out in the middle of their campsite.Damn Swedes kept giving me free beer and jager.
    Also apparently i told the security i was a viking and started making big roars and pureed a horn full of beer all overmyself.
    My Swedish friend Simon who is coming on this cruise i met for the first time at this festival.
    Was kinda funny because when he was bringing me back he stoped to talk to someone and when he turned around i was gone.Then he had to go around the campground searching for me again and i ventually got back to the campsite passed out in my tent with no top on the tent wide open.Which is not a good idea considering how cold it gets those nights.I also got so drunk that i couldn't get out of my tent to take a piss.So i used a bottle and then threw the bottle out of the tent.Some idiot actually nearly drank it when they were drunk :lol:
    After Sweden rock was finished i drove back with my friend Magnus and stayed at his house for what was supposed to be just a day or 2.
    But on the last day i got really drunk and decided i was gonna stay in Sweden for another week.So i lied to my work and told them that i lost my passport and that i had to wait a week to get a provisional one issued to re-entre the country.
    Then on the day before i had to go back i got really shitfaced again and went wandering from the party and my friends had to search around the estate only to find me drinking with some other random people they had never met before at their house.

When i got back to Ireland i said to myself fuck this i'm moving to Sweden.
    A few weeks later i went abroad again to Germany for Earthshaker 06.This time with a larger group of Irish friends.This time the festival was in kreuth and it was a fucking pain to get too.I think it took about 6 hours on train to get there.So we pulled out a stereo and just got drunk on the train blaring metal.needless to say nobody else would enter our carriage.The lack of air conditioning on regional trains sucks by the way.
    once we got there we had to climb a big fucking hill.I hate hills when you have a rucksack!!!
    Then when we got there most of the campspace was taken so there was no flat ground available so we has to camp on the slope of a hill.It was pain in the ass to sleep in those tents like that.Was once again a great festival.Met some really fucking cool Germans and the night Hammerfall played me and them decided to get fucking slaughtered drunk,skip all the bands and then go watch Hammerfall.This was resulted in me crowdsurfing with a bleeding nose and falling on my head and geting sick and falling down a hill.
    The last night there was a massive Lightning Storm.They tried to evacuate the stage area but Edguy refused to leave the stage and wanted to play in the lightning so all the fans wouldn't move either cause they wanted to see Edguy play.After a lot of arguing they finally got them to get off stage until the storm passed.
    Nevermore were supposed tp play that night but i heard that the reason they couldn't get to the festival was cause of the weather.
    Then after the bands played Lightning reigned down on the campground for about 8 hours litteraly striking the ground in front of your tent.
    Was a very interesting experience.
    A few weeks later i quit my job and went to Wacken.My friend from Seattle and Sweden also came .We decided that the whole group from Earthshaker o5 would have a reunion at this festival.
    First night the bands played i got too drunk and passed out in my friends tent because i couldn't walk back to my own campsite.
    I woke up and asked some guy when the first band was on and then he told me that they had already played.
    Also Ravenlords brother pegged down my tent zips one morning.I was going fucking mad haha.
    Only saw 2 bands that festival but had great fun with my friends.
    2 days after i got back to Ireland i booekd a flight to Sweden.Texted my family saying.I'm moving to Sweden.Cyas around.
    Then lived there for 4 months in a small town called Fagersta getting drunk and parying a lot with my friends there.I remember one day me and Simon were smoking out of a being for about 8 hours straight :lol:
    Lots of hillarious parties.
    The end of my fun though was soon coming to an end for i did not learn any Swedish or try to get a job and my money was running out.
    So i decided to do somethign epic before i went back.
    This was the metal cruise in 06 with Annihilator,Grand Magus,Morgana Lefay and the Haunted playing.the day started off my geting wasted on the train on the way to Stockholm.Ariving on the boat pretty drunk.Buying crates of tax free beer.I got lsot on the crusie for horus when i was drunk trying to find my cabin.
    Somehow managed to see every band but lsot my tshirt and beer which i found the next day.
    So the next day when i found my remainging beers i made it a mission to drink them all before i got off the cruise.I ended up losing my friends and going to the pub with some randomers.Then to another bar after that one closed and hen woke up with a bunch of random people somewhere in Stockholm.
    The problem about this was that i hada flight that day.And all my stuff was hours away in Fagersta.Needless to say i mised the flight.had to get sent money to fly back home and then moved back to Ireland 2 weks later with no job there.

I'll finish this some other time as i've gotten bored of typing :lol:

I think you need to write a memoir some day.... :beerwink:
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Le G@SP wrote:YEAH! I was at the Earthshaker '05 and '06 too ;) And I was at all the Wacken from '02 (except the '05). Maybe there is allready a thread about the metal festivals?

If not...start one :cool: It´ll be fun to see all the festivals people have been too !
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
Post Reply 41 posts