Post Reply 8 posts Page 1 of 1
First Trip to Scandinavia Advice
    wut3v4
    Petty Officer

First Trip to Scandinavia Advice

by wut3v4 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 am

Well, I've finally decided to make this happen. Life has grown dull for me. :| I crave adventure. I want to make new friends locally and internationally. I don't get to travel that much, and when I do travel, it's always to the same few places over and over again... Scandinavia (as well as many other places on Earth) has long since been a vacation goal of mine.

I am a nature junkie. I love exploring natural habitats, hiking, taking photos of beautiful landscapes and sceneries, making new friends abroad, etc. I've been researching and eyeballing Norway and Sweden for a while, but I'm honestly open to visiting anywhere else in Scandinavia this Spring/Summer in 2015. I even considered attending some of the metal festivals, but the only ones that really interest me right now are in Norway during months that are a bit inconvenient for me.

So I would like some advice from any of you who have visited or are from there. What would you recommend personally? What is there to do? What should I check out? What should I expect? How badly will these expensive countries rape my wallet? (I am a hardcore penny saver and know how to live on a tight budget).
    Tell me everything! Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly. All advice would be very much appreaciated ^_^

Thanks!
    Shelton
    Crewman

Re: First Trip to Scandinavia Advice

by Shelton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 am

wut3v4 wrote:Well, I've finally decided to make this happen. Life has grown dull for me. :| I crave adventure. I want to make new friends locally and internationally. I don't get to travel that much, and when I do travel, it's always to the same few places over and over again... Scandinavia (as well as many other places on Earth) has long since been a vacation goal of mine.

I am a nature junkie. I love exploring natural habitats, hiking, taking photos of beautiful landscapes and sceneries, making new friends abroad, etc. I've been researching and eyeballing Norway and Sweden for a while, but I'm honestly open to visiting anywhere else in Scandinavia this Spring/Summer in 2015. I even considered attending some of the metal festivals, but the only ones that really interest me right now are in Norway during months that are a bit inconvenient for me.

So I would like some advice from any of you who have visited or are from there. What would you recommend personally? What is there to do? What should I check out? What should I expect? How badly will these expensive countries rape my wallet? (I am a hardcore penny saver and know how to live on a tight budget).
    Tell me everything! Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly. All advice would be very much appreaciated

Thanks!

While I can't recommend specifics because I'm yet to try too much of the nature side of the region, it is a great part of the world. I've been 3 times and want to go again (but I think I need to give some of the rest of the world a chance). As for costs, second trip cost me about $7500 traveling with a friend and my 3rd was about 10k by myself. Both were 3-4 weeks long. But I don't like traveling cheap ;)
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Statistically speaking, if you go to a random person speaking English they are more likely to understand what you are saying than if you are in America, so the language barrier is almost nonexistent. Still I found it handy to learn a bit to read maps and roadsigns and such. Be careful while riding any sort of public transportation, Swedish men like to touch strangers. It's harmless, but it made me jump out of my skin the first time it happened.

Be mentally prepared that if you're an average American, nearly everyone will be taller and thinner than you. I felt like telling everyone my name was Gimli when I was over there because I felt so short, stout, and bearded.

Don't order an ice-cream sundae anywhere in Sweden. What passes for a sundae in Sweden is honestly kind of sad, but other than that the food is great.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:19 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    CountArioch wrote:Be careful while riding any sort of public transportation, Swedish men like to touch strangers. It's harmless, but it made me jump out of my skin the first time it happened.

ehm...
    what???

did you perhaps go to a gay bar?

That depends. Are the trams in Gothenburg gay hookup places?

We have Sunday's but not sundaes, if you order a sundae, most ppl won't know what the hell you're talking about.
    This was at the Hard rock Cafe on Gothenburg. Most places didn't have it on the menu and I didn't ask. It's just that I had gone a week without any greasy American processed crap and I was jonesing for something terrible for me. And it was kind of sad...
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 am

Maybe the count has been fortunate enough to have met a drunken gnoff? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:38 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:well I live in Gothenburg, done so for about 9 years, and haven't experienced nor heard of what you're saying as a fact, so was just a bit surprised.

It could be that I'm just attractive to gay people in Gothenburg... one time these two guys tried very hard to get me to go back to their apartment with them. And they were WAY hotter than what I perceive I could get in America.
    wut3v4
    Petty Officer

by wut3v4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:55 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Lived most of my life in Sweden, in Stockholm and Gothenburg area, as well as middle of northern Sweden.

Basically for nature along the coast or the moutain side is the best.

The High Coast (Höga Kusten) is wonderful, but I would say that since I grew up there.

As per usual the capitols are the most expensive.

Thanks! I've already begun reading about it. It's very beautiful from the pictures I've seen
  • _morbidite
    Wiper

by _morbidite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm

You are so lucky. Hope to go to Scandinavia one day :)
    Kreator ❤
    Gigs:
    7/2: maiden/ghost
    8/12: behemoth/slayer/lambofgod

Wishlist 2018:
    Too long to even mention it!
  • Post Reply 8 posts Page 1 of 1