Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
Man overboard a royal carribean ship
    Yasminemus
    Oiler

Man overboard a royal carribean ship

by Yasminemus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:13 pm

I've read about a gay man who went overboard due to homophobic slurrs from the royal carribean staff. The event took place last week or so. I'm quiet surprised that things escalated to that but even more shocked that the staff of the cruise were ignorant and unprofessional, throwing such comments at the man to begin with.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any homophobic acts/comments on the cruise previously?
    Top picks:Eluveitie-Arkona-WithinTemptation-DimmuBorgir-Devilment-Kamelot-LacunaCoil-Amorphis-InThisMoment-StreamOfPassion-Epica-CradleOfFilth-HIM-Nightwish-Apocalyptica-Skindred--Leaves'eyes-Draconian-Avatar-Hellyeah-Avatarium-Sirenia-Wintersun-Xandria
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Man overboard a royal carribean ship

by SaraMarie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Yasminemus wrote:I've read about a gay man who went overboard due to homophobic slurrs from the royal carribean staff. The event took place last week or so. I'm quiet surprised that things escalated to that but even more shocked that the staff of the cruise were ignorant and unprofessional, throwing such comments at the man to begin with.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any homophobic acts/comments on the cruise previously?

No, but I'm not gay. I had no idea this story involved gay men. I'd heard there was some kind of couples' quarrel. I just looked it up and found out otherwise.

Honestly the staff was pretty respectful, but they are from just about everywhere. I can see it happening but don't think it would ever be so bad as to be worth jumping off a ship. It sounds like the one passenger was very drunk and a drama queen or suicidal. It was a very dangerous stunt, obviously.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:37 pm

SaraMarie wrote:
    Yasminemus wrote:I've read about a gay man who went overboard due to homophobic slurrs from the royal carribean staff. The event took place last week or so. I'm quiet surprised that things escalated to that but even more shocked that the staff of the cruise were ignorant and unprofessional, throwing such comments at the man to begin with.

No, but I'm not gay. I had no idea this story involved gay men. I'd heard there was some kind of couples' quarrel. I just looked it up and found out otherwise.

Honestly the staff was pretty respectful, but they are from just about everywhere. I can see it happening but don't think it would ever be so bad as to be worth jumping off a ship. It sounds like the one passenger was very drunk and a drama queen or suicidal. It was a very dangerous stunt, obviously.

I've looked at a few sources, and the consensus is that he was drunk, and he really did come off as a drama queen. Apart from this incident, I've only heard good things about the RC staff
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 am

Compared to Majesty staff (who was totally awesome), some staff on Liberty was acting like "fuck off, leave me alone, go order your beer somewhere else."
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    The Bus From Speed
    Oiler

by The Bus From Speed » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:49 pm

I read the same article. It seems as though the fall may not have been a suicide attempt, but the fact remains that this poor man was harassed incessantly for being gay which imho is complete fucking horseshit.

I'm not gay, but I lay faith in my brothers and sisters of metal to refrain from stooping to such lows. I'd honestly be quite surprised if an incident like this were ever to occur on 70k.
    2016 @ 3312
    2017 @ 8667
    2018 @ ????
    slayergeek
    Chief Petty Officer

by slayergeek » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:18 pm

NuuX wrote:Compared to Majesty staff (who was totally awesome), some staff on Liberty was acting like "fuck off, leave me alone, go order your beer somewhere else."

Yea, the Majesty staff had done it enough, where especially the last year, they knew what to expect, knew what we wanted, and delivered. Our crowd is a far cry from their normal cruise. We want beer, we want music, and we want to feel that metal vibe throughout the ship. (I don't care if we are in Jamaica...no island music...turn the metal back on).
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,See_You_In_2022

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • The_Crown-/-Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1