Post Reply 161 posts
What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?
    Laura
    Commander

What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?

by Laura » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:37 pm

This thread is inspired by the conversation Erik and I were having on the Engine Room forum about Pink Floyd (or "The Floyd" as I like to call them.) I don't consider PF metal so I thought a separate thread in Off Course might be a good idea.
    I have a very diverse musical taste - I'm sure many of you do too. Linda Richman on Coffee Talk (aka Mike Myers - SNL) sez DISCUSS! :metalguy: :shred: (I don't know why, but I think I love Shred guy smiley the most!)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

Re: What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?

by Malaka » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Pink Floyd is my absolute all-time favorite band, as you already know... but most classic rock is okay on my playlist.
    The Doors, (some of) The Beatles, CCR, and some of the 70's classic songs are good. I also like a little reggae and funk.
    But probably my biggest guilty pleasure is country and 90's rap. Let the flaming begin! :lol:

I absolutely love the outlaw rebel country, like Hank Sr., Hank Jr., and especially Hank III... the latter being in the metal bands: Assjack, Superjoint Ritual, and Arson Anthem. Hank III's album, Straight To Hell, is bloody awesome. David Allan Coe, Johnny Cash, and Billy Joe Shaver are all dirty bastards too. And I've also been known to sing along to a little Garth every once in a while. :lol: There's nothin' like sitting around a campfire, drinkin' countless beers, and listening to good ol' rebel music with good friends. I guess that's the country boy in me. :mrgreen:

I used to listen to some rap in junior high and if someone put in a rap album from @ 1993, I'd love it. It's just nostalgia to me anymore, but it makes me feel younger and brings back some memories. Yes, I listen to old ICP, but I'm not a goddamm juggalo... the shit is just comical to me. I also used to listen to Esham and N.W.A. because they were the baddest music to listen to at the time. And let it be noted that at that time when I listened to rap and shit, I also listened to Incantation, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, and Hypocrisy. So to each their own. :beerwink:
    I can't wait to hear how bad I get blasted for listening to rap music at one point. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And this may not count as music, but listening to comedy is fun too. Some of my favorites being: Andrew "Dice" Clay, George Carlin, Denis Leary, Eddie Murphy, Frank Caliendo, and many more. But actually GOING to a stand-up performance is awesome!

Thanks for posting this Laura, I can't wait to hear more unique responses that may lead me to a different band that I may not know. :cheers:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:53 am

The Floyd....def an all time favorite....they just seemed to get us through that time era...perfectly....he he....
    Going back....(even though some were before my time even.....) I love the following....
    Stevie Ray vaughn
    Robin Trower
    Jethro Tull
    LOVE me some Skynard!!
    Any and all blues.....Jazz.....any vocalist does if you ask me......so creative
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:10 am

love me the blues ...... robert johnson, willie dixon, muddy waters
    SRV, robin trower, robert cray, kenny wayne, bb king... etc.

hard rock, classic rock .... zeppelin, hendrix, doors, foghat, early aerosmith
    floyd, rush, yardbirds, zz top

some southern ... lynyrd, early molly hatchet

misc .... elvis, johhny cash, ELO, hank williams sr., patsy cline, the cars, sex pistols, the clash, agnostic front and many others across all genres ........ it all depends on the mood and what i'm doing
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:24 am

^ ^ ^
    Most of what they said...

And a fairly specific list of particular favourites:

Lots of Neil Young
    Concrete Blonde/Pretty & Twisted/Johnette N.
    Blind Melon/Unified Theory
    Big Sugar/Grady
    and Rush.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 am

Oh yeah goody goody gumdrops. This was a topic I got shot down and ridiculed over months ago. Oh well. As you can see my tastes are diverse

trance/house
    country
    Disco
    80s new wave
    Some pop
    Classical (esp Mozart and Bach)
    Punk (old like Dead Boys, Stiv Bators, etc, not Rancid, NOFX, Green Day)
    classic rock (of course)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:37 am

^^^ great replies everyone! Scott, what thread was that? I must not have been onboard yet :beerwink: . It's funny 'cause I started to try to write a reply to my own thread and I got all nostalgic and stuff - so many bands, so many songs, so many genres, so many concerts - what would my life have been without music? Anyway, I like/have liked a lot of different kinds of music...some genres or bands were favorites at certain times in my life though and I don't listen to much anymore. For example, in the 80's I was a big (Grateful) Dead fan and saw them several times. It's not that I don't like them anymore, just kinda moved on. Some bands I've come back to after a long hiatus - like Rush - lol - I think I went about 25 years not listening to Rush, but now I've seen them a couple times in the past few years and I LOVE them all over again. :P

hmmm, so kinds of music I like or have liked at some time or another? Classic rock (as Scott says - of course!); 80's pop, new wave, punk, ska, and rap; techno, house, some contemporary rap and hip-hop; old school soul, funk, and r & b; some blues, some grunge, ambient, smooth jazz, some opera and classical. Sometime in the future (and when I get old to the point that I will look completely ridiculous at metal gigs :lol: ), I plan to really study and listen to more classical, opera, and jazz. In fact, I seriously want to go to the Bayreuth Festival in Germany (all music of Richard Wagner) some day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayreuth_Festival. My parents have been and LOVED IT. :headbanger:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks Laura- i love the dead to this day. love all the 60's stuff. stones, led zep, the who, etc

I believe it was before you signed up, and it does not matter. Bottom line was that I mentioned that I saw David Hasselhoff in the audience during American Idol. and a few people here (some were kidding) thought it would be funny to make fun of it. I did not think it was funny. But its over now and I do hold grudges forever sooooo.

And by the way, The Hoff was on Dancing With the Stars last night, Season 11 debuted and he was a horrible dancer. :) Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween, True Lies, Activia ) was in the audience. Sarah Palin was not, her daughter was dancing Bristol.

Oh and I love David BOWIE and QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Diamanda Galas, Johny Cash, Elvis, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, Jefferson Airplane and Starship.

And the list goes on.

i say To Each Their Own. :givebeer:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:51 pm

^^^ wow, you're a deadhead too? :cool: And...amazing you mentioned Bowie and Queen - two of my favorites as well. I saw Queen in high school at the Chicago Stadium - one of my top five concerts of all time. I think Freddy Mercury had one of the greatest voices in the history of rock. And I was a huge fan of Bowie in the 70's and 80's - saw him a bunch of times. I even had a big poster of him in my college dorm room - him, Grateful Dead and a bunch of Roger Dean (Yes) posters. I don't listen to Bowie much any more - mostly listen to metal these days - but he is awesome just the same. Since I'm having a major 70's flashback at the moment - thought of some songs from the era that mean a lot to me. (of course there are more, but these are a sample - mostly more mellow stuff)
    Procol Harum: Whiter Shade of Pale
    Blind Faith: Can't Find My Way Home
    The Who: Baba O'Riley
    Supertramp: Take the Long Way Home
    Steely Dan: Ricky, Don't Lose That Number
    Mamas and the Papas: San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)
    Grateful Dead: Box of Rain
    ELO: Strange Magic
    Traffic: Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
    Queen: You're my Best Friend
    Rod Stewart: Maggie May
    Led Zeppelin: Going to California
    David Bowie: Heroes
    Elton John: Your Song
    Rush: Temples of syrinx
    Yes: And You and I
    Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:28 pm

WOW we have a lot of musical tastes in common. I like all those you listed, another song that is great by Led Zep is "Down By The Seaside" !!

Have you hear Demons and Wizards cover of "The White Room"????????????
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:WOW we have a lot of musical tastes in common. I like all those you listed, another song that is great by Led Zep is "Down By The Seaside" !!

Have you hear Demons and Wizards cover of "The White Room"????????????

Nice! Yes, I know Down by the Seaside by Zep - beautiful song! Just youtubed White Room by D & W - awesome! Didn't know that was a side project of Blind Guardian and Iced Earth - cool!

Thought of some more great (mostly) mellow songs from my childhood and teen years....
    Allman Brothers: Melissa
    Beatles: Blackbird
    Jethro Tull: Skating Away
    Seals and Crofts: Summer Breeze
    Eric Clapton: Wonderful Tonight
    Bad Company: Ready for Love
    Styx: Lady
    Three Dog Night: One
    America: Sister Golden Hair
    Fleetwood Mac: Landslide
    The Doors: The End
    Bread: Guitar Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOjQvADLG4
    Dan Fogelberg: every song! :lol:
    Genesis: The Carpet Crawlers
    Lynyrd Skynyrd: That Smell
    Rolling Stones: Wild Horses

How I went from this kinda mellow stuff to Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, and Satyricon - I have no idea :twisted: :lol:

I have an older sister (now 53), so I heard some of this stuff from the late 60's/early 70's because she had the albums (like Close to the Edge, early Led Zep, Three Dog Night, Bread, etc., etc., etc.) She and her husband saw Roger Waters The Wall on Monday, and loved it so much they are going again on Friday - I'm going tomorrow night - yay!
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:58 am

Bowie
    Queen
    Carpenters
    James Taylor
    Cat Stephens
    Frank Zappa
    Stevie Wonder
    Steve Vai
    Autumn Tears
    Lady Gaga (yes I admit)

Of course who can't deny skynard, floyd, zepplin, rush.

Not bad for a 26 year old I don't think.
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    Bell
    Petty Officer

by Bell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:34 am

As well as metal, gotta love the classic hard rock (Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, AC/DC, Tesla, Whitesnake, Aerosmith etc)

Also a big mix of blues, acoustic and instrumental music (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Andy McKee, John Mayer, Jon Gomm, Newton Faulkner etc)

And of course some cheesy 80s like Mr. Big, Extreme, Skid Row, Bon Jovi et al!
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:06 am

Bell wrote:As well as metal, gotta love the classic hard rock (Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, AC/DC, Tesla, Whitesnake, Aerosmith etc)

Also a big mix of blues, acoustic and instrumental music (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Andy McKee, John Mayer, Jon Gomm, Newton Faulkner etc)

And of course some cheesy 80s like Mr. Big, Extreme, Skid Row, Bon Jovi et al!

Sweet, I don't have to post anything, you said it all for me! :lol: :lol: :party:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:07 pm

A lot of classic rock which I like such as like Deep Purple, UFO, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC etc is so similar to metal that I would expect it to be a given that most metal fans like it.

Besides classic rock I like some punk. Pretty much the most popular bands (Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Iggy, Black Flag, Misfits), Im not into the genre as a whole. Once in a blue moon I like to listen to some of the old clasic blues artists, Howlin Wolf is my favorite.

But overall, Im pretty much a heavy metal/classic rock fan and that is what 90-95% of my cd collection is. Im not one of those "well rounded" music fans, I like what I like at thats it.
    Last edited by BehnWilson on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm a big fan of classical music,Folk rock,Mediveval rock and some glam rock :mrgreen:
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I'm a big fan of classical music,Folk rock,Mediveval rock and some glam rock :mrgreen:

You like Medievel rockl? Do you like Blackmores Night? I cant stand that garbage. I cant believe that Ritchie Blackmore, one of the greatest guitarists ever with legendary bands Deep Purple and Rainbow is now reduced to playing medieval folk music with his wife Candace Night. Did she neuter him or something? Ive always referred to the band as Blackmore's Ono myself.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:55 pm

BehnWilson wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:I'm a big fan of classical music,Folk rock,Mediveval rock and some glam rock :mrgreen:

You like Medievel rockl? Do you like Blackmores Night? I cant stand that garbage. I cant believe that Ritchie Blackmore, one of the greatest guitarists ever with legendary bands Deep Purple and Rainbow is now reduced to playing medieval folk music with his wife Candace Night. Did she neuter him or something? Ive always referred to the band as Blackmore's Ono myself.

Have you seen Candice Night? If you have, It is completely beyond me how you can compare her to Yoko Ono... I mean, just look!!

Image or Image

I can understand her "persuasiveness" to Ritchie... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Yoko wrecked the Beatles and was highly repsonsible for them breaking up. Candace wrecked Blackmore musically. I highly doubt he'd be playing medieval fair music if he hadnt have hooked up with her.

I could care less what she looksl like.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:05 pm

BehnWilson wrote:Yoko wrecked the Beatles and was highly repsonsible for them breaking up. Candace wrecked Blackmore musically. I highly doubt he'd be playing medieval fair music if he hadnt have hooked up with her.

Well, they aren't the first (or last) guys to be led astray by a woman (I still question whether Yoko is a actually "human" woman though). Ehh, I am not a fan of Blackmore's Night, but they seem to have a decent following and it is probably a much easier "retirement-type" gig for Blackmore. So I say more power to him.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:Yoko wrecked the Beatles and was highly repsonsible for them breaking up. Candace wrecked Blackmore musically. I highly doubt he'd be playing medieval fair music if he hadnt have hooked up with her.

Well, they aren't the first (or last) guys to be led astray by a woman (I still question whether Yoko is a actually "human" woman though). Ehh, I am not a fan of Blackmore's Night, but they seem to have a decent following and it is probably a much easier "retirement-type" gig for Blackmore. So I say more power to him.

Hitler had a following too. :lol:

If thats what he wants to do then good for him, but the guy who wrote Smoke On The Water reduced to playing in his wife's Renaissance Fair band just seems kind of sad to me.

My, how the mighty have fallen.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 pm

BehnWilson wrote:Pretty much the most popular bands (Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Iggy, Black Flag, Misfits),

Glad you mentioned them. I never became a fan of their entire catalog but, being a huge fan of all things dark, gloomy and truly heavy, the album MY WAR became an instant classic and favourite of mine the first time I heard it. Ginn's exceptional way of playing stuff that sounds out of key but is completely intentional (and back in key when it needs to be) is out of this world and it's the only thing Rollins has ever done that really moved me, even though I did enjoy some of his solo outfit's stuff.

Nothing Left Inside!! :headbanger:

BehnWilson wrote:If thats what he wants to do then good for him, but the guy who wrote Smoke On The Water reduced to playing in his wife's Renaissance Fair band just seems kind of sad to me.

My, how the mighty have fallen.

My sentiments exactly... Dio continues to carry the torch and we lose him. Ritchie's doing well and, apparently, with ALL THAT TALENT, lost all interest in all things brilliantly heavy and meaningful.

Too many things about this world just suck total donkey nads.

dstrbd1
    Crewman

by dstrbd1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:01 pm

It's good to see/hear that you CAN actually like another form of music besides metal and have the balls to admit it. :twisted:
    Trust no one
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 am

i have to be honest, before turning to metal i had quite a period of apres-ski music :lol: :lol:
    nowadays i find it most annoying.

i do like most music, although i'm not a fan of rap, hiphop, jazz.

i do am a huge fan of rapalje, a (for the most part) dutch folk band
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:44 am

Dutchguy-Tim wrote:i have to be honest, before turning to metal i had quite a period of apres-ski music :lol: :lol:
    nowadays i find it most annoying.

i do like most music, although i'm not a fan of rap, hiphop, jazz.

i do am a huge fan of rapalje, a (for the most part) dutch folk band

apres-ski music....hmmm.....sounds interesting. I'm imagining French electronica/ambient kinda stuff while sipping a glass of Chardonnay (or a good German beer). I love Heidevolk btw - a friend told me about them in April because he knows I like a lot of folk metal stuff - had never heard of them before that. I've got Walhalla Wacht and Uit oude Grond. I could be wrong, but I don't think they've ever toured the states - they would be perfect for one of those pagan/heathen/viking extravaganzas that happen here every so often. :viking:

Edit...later in the day. :lol: Boy, was I wrong on what apres-ski music is! I don't ski so I was taking a wild guess ;) :givebeer:

Shoreslayer - I want to hear more about the Ministry gigs you went to - were they all in the 80's? That's when I was big into them. I think their song Everyday is Halloween has some of the best lyrics ever. It was a dance club "anthem" of sorts back then. http://www.metrolyrics.com/everyday-is- ... istry.html
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a huge fan of the King of Pop. He was great a entertainer.

I myself play in a progressive rock band which means I'm into bands like

Pink Floyd
    ELP
    Yes
    King Crimson
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Porcupine Tree
    Curved Air (if you've never heard of them, check them out on youtube)

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. I like some Alternative mostly early. I like 70's lite rock. I've been a fan of the Gipsy Kings since I was 7. A little bit Rap/Hip hop but I only like a select few, same with Country.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Disco wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a huge fan of the King of Pop. He was great a entertainer.

Pink Floyd
    ELP
    Yes
    King Crimson
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Porcupine Tree

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. I like some Alternative mostly early. I like 70's lite rock. I've been a fan of the Gipsy Kings since I was 7. A little bit Rap/Hip hop but I only like a select few, same with Country.

And DISCO right?........... :P a little.. ;) Bee Gee's perhaps?................................................................I feel a "slither slap" comin on
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:39 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    Disco wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a huge fan of the King of Pop. He was great a entertainer.

Pink Floyd
    ELP
    Yes
    King Crimson
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Porcupine Tree

And DISCO right?........... :P a little.. ;) Bee Gee's perhaps?................................................................I feel a "slither slap" comin on

Hey, even KISS jumped on the Disco bandwagon, remember..? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGNLo8K6Fk :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:02 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Shoreslayer - I want to hear more about the Ministry gigs you went to - were they all in the 80's? That's when I was big into them. I think their song Everyday is Halloween has some of the best lyrics ever. It was a dance club "anthem" of sorts back then. http://www.metrolyrics.com/everyday-is- ... istry.html

"Discovered" them at Lollapalooza '92 and then made a point of seeing them every time they rolled through town. According to my gig history list, it's actually only 4 times but I can't believe I went from '92 to '06 without seeing them once so I suspect I've lost some ticket stubs along the way (as well as LOTS of memory). Their Evil Doer Tour came through here in 2004 and I can't imagine I wasn't there lol. Just seems like they were something of a constant here in town during the last ten years.

As far as reviews go, sorry I can't offer much. The first time I saw them was pretty unforgettable as it was the first 'festival' I'd attended since Summer Sunday when I was around 13 over a decade earlier. Crowd was great. Weather was great. Lineup was better than anything I'd ever had a chance to go to. Buddy and I were sort of on the sides chatting and waiting for Ministry to play and be done so we could get on with whoever was next. I think we were even talking about hitting the 2nd stage to see who was playing their if Ministry sucked. Had never heard their stuff before but knew by reputation that they came from an industrial/techno background. Well, if you've ever given their '91 release, 'Psalm 69' a good listen, you'll know that it's way more metal than it is industrial. They opened with Just One Fix and I think I was making my way through an enormous pit and up to the rail before the song was half over. Just completely grabbed me by the boo-boo (as a good friend of mine is fond of annoyingly saying). They were loud, heavy, aggressive and tight so it was hard not to leave as a major convert. Some of their lyrics struck major chords with some real life themes for me at the time as well so that didn't hurt either haha.

The rest of the shows were indoor gigs. Mostly at our famed Commodore Ballroom. PM me if ya want detailed reviews of the other shows Laura but you can see most of the dates on that gig history thread if that interests ya.

:cheers:

Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm

To be honest, I really don't care for anything outside of Metal and Hard Rock, except for perhaps Classical music (which I don't actively listen to).

However, when I'm at work, I am constantly playing many other different types of music, like: Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, Reggaeton, Techno, Reggae and even Country (which I truly loathe). Whenever I play any kind of Rock (be it mainstream or not), I feel at least a bit better (depending on what it is). 8 hours of playing shit like Lil Wayne, Usher, Lady Gaga, Daddy Yankee and all that other shit can get a bit taxing. You better believe as soon as I get in the car and leave, I have Metal blasting away, and it's like a soothing balm washing over me. I know, without question, that Heavy Metal is the soundtrack of my soul (as it were), and nothing else comes close to touching it.

But hey, that's just me :viking:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Captain Metal wrote:You better believe as soon as I get in the car and leave, I have Metal blasting away, and it's like a soothing balm washing over me. I know, without question, that Heavy Metal is the soundtrack of my soul (as it were), and nothing else comes close to touching it.

But hey, that's just me :viking:

And THAT... is why you're The Captain!! :headbanger:

Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Wait until you see my Captains hat :headbanger:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Captain Metal wrote:Wait until you see my Captains hat :headbanger:

I'm gonna let Debb handle that one :shock:

Evil Red
    Midshipman

by Evil Red » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:55 am

Speaking of Pink Floyd, I have 11th row tickets for Roger Waters in December! This'll be the third time I ~ we~ are catching him and the first that isn't in the nose bleed section. (Although I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd during the Division Bell Tour) WHOO HOO! :twisted:

He's doing The Wall in it's entirety this tour. I can't wait!!!
    I made the Devil do it.
    Evil Red
    Midshipman

by Evil Red » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:57 am

~ And I love a bunch of classical. Vivaldi the best.
    I made the Devil do it.
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:35 am

Evil Red wrote:Speaking of Pink Floyd, I have 11th row tickets for Roger Waters in December! This'll be the third time I ~ we~ are catching him and the first that isn't in the nose bleed section. (Although I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd during the Division Bell Tour) WHOO HOO! :twisted:

He's doing The Wall in it's entirety this tour. I can't wait!!!

I hate you. :cry:

Just messing with ya Red... ask tyrwoman how jealous I am of that. I want to die knowing I will never see the Floyd in concert. :evil:
    Enjoy the show, I'm gonna try and make it to the Phoenix show in November. And I would trade the ring and middle finger on my right hand for 11th row center floor tickets. That way I will forever look like this... for the Floyd: :beerhorns:
    :P
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Tomasz
    Crewman

by Tomasz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:03 am

Electronic as in trance/dance/techno and industrial type. I hope they'll have some of that on the ship so I can bust the move and take a break b/w rocking out ;)
    Tomasz
    Crewman

by Tomasz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:03 am

Electronic as in trance/dance/techno and industrial type. I hope they'll have some of that on the ship so I can bust the move and take a break b/w rocking out ;)
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:40 am

most of the non-metal, non-hardrock music i listen to is well knows...like mark knopfler, dire straits, simon&garfunkel, paul simon etc.
    but there's also always room for ace of base or erasure ;)

one of the albums hardly anybody knows is by the actor rick moranis
    check out one of his songs: four more beers
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:46 am

last_candle wrote:one of the albums hardly anybody knows is by the actor rick moranis
    check out one of his songs: four more beers

Wow! Surprised he'd be known for his music in Switzerland. He's from here (well, here being Canada) and I hadn't even heard of him doing this stuff. I thought he'd just retired for the most part. Funny tune! thanks

Post Reply 161 posts