Post Reply 161 posts
What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?
    Evil Red
    Midshipman

Re: What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?

by Evil Red » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:
    Evil Red wrote:Speaking of Pink Floyd, I have 11th row tickets for Roger Waters in December! This'll be the third time I ~ we~ are catching him and the first that isn't in the nose bleed section. (Although I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd during the Division Bell Tour) WHOO HOO! :twisted:

He's doing The Wall in it's entirety this tour. I can't wait!!!

I hate you. :cry:

Just messing with ya Red... ask tyrwoman how jealous I am of that. I want to die knowing I will never see the Floyd in concert. :evil:
    Enjoy the show, I'm gonna try and make it to the Phoenix show in November. And I would trade the ring and middle finger on my right hand for 11th row center floor tickets. That way I will forever look like this... for the Floyd: :beerhorns:
    :P

Other than this cruise, these are the most expensive tickets I've ever bought. Again.
    I made the Devil do it.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:41 pm

it's not like he's huge here - i'm most likely the only guy in switzerland who knows this album

finding out was quite a coincidence - i saw him perform on jay leno and imported the disc

btw, i remember my first love describing me to her parents as a rick moranis lookalike - not the most flattering compliment ever ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:28 pm

last_candle wrote:it's not like he's huge here - i'm most likely the only guy in switzerland who knows this album

finding out was quite a coincidence - i saw him perform on jay leno and imported the disc

Ahh, gotcha. So he's not like Hasselhoff is in Germany then :lol:

last_candle wrote:btw, i remember my first love describing me to her parents as a rick moranis lookalike - not the most flattering compliment ever ;)

Ouch. My condolences :cry:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 pm

So, I saw Roger Waters The Wall last night. Can’t get the experience out of my mind and thought I’d write some random thoughts I’ve been having. But before I do that, a couple things first.
    1. If you are a Pink Floyd Wall fan – you really need to see this. And if you don’t get a chance to see the live show – see the DVD when it comes out. I know I’ll be getting the DVD, just so I can better absorb/understand what I saw last night.
    2. I never felt very adept at writing full-blown concert reviews, so I’ll leave that to Chicago rock critic Greg Kot who wrote one a few days ago. In my opinion, it is completely spot-on. http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/ ... enter.html

Now…here begins my random blather….

What does Pink Floyd mean to me?
    My Floyd experience and interest was for the most part confined to my high school years – 1975-1979. Picture countless evenings (and afternoons after school) spent in a friend's basement with anywhere from 2-5 of my closest friends and me, no alcohol but lots of weed, profound (maybe not, but we thought they were ;) ) and hilarious conversations, and MUSIC! Our collective favorite band was Yes, but Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals were definitely up there as our favorite albums. By the time The Wall came out, I was a freshman in college and getting more interested in bands like Talking Heads, B-52s, Ramones, and the Sex Pistols. So, I never even bought The Wall (until yesterday on iTunes!) Of course, I heard the music a lot over the years, and my personal favorites have always been Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell.

Why did I go to the show?
    Lol – my sister and brother-in-law (who were at the show Monday and tonight) insisted! Also for nostalgia’s sake, once in a lifetime experience, yadda yadda.

Roger Waters The Wall: Rock Concert or Spectacle?
    Spectacle! This is where I start to have mixed feelings. I have enjoyed so many metal gigs in small to medium sized venues in recent years, that The Wall experience was a bit of a shock to my system. That’s not to say that I don’t love spectacle – Corvus Corax at Wacken this summer and the over-the-top theatricality of Dimmu Borgir come to mind. However....in my opinion, The Wall spectacle is not only bizarre, but often heavy handed and perhaps a bit too politically charged at times – therefore it strikes me as a different animal altogether. Well, DUH, Laura :roll: ....wasn't / isn't that the whole point?... and my bad – I really should have read up in advance more on the history of it, why Waters wrote it, etc. Usually I’m good about doing my homework so to speak (and I still haven't!), but since I went to this very last minute, just didn’t get to it. Then, there are the ticket prices – up to $250 for this show – Holy Moly! I paid $125 and I think that’s the most I ever paid for a show. But again, we’re talkin’ spectacle here – think Vegas.

Ok, I think I’ve rambled enough for one night. :givebeer:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:18 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    last_candle wrote:it's not like he's huge here - i'm most likely the only guy in switzerland who knows this album

Ahh, gotcha. So he's not like Hasselhoff is in Germany then :lol:

nope, definitely not :)

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    last_candle wrote:btw, i remember my first love describing me to her parents as a rick moranis lookalike - not the most flattering compliment ever ;)

Ouch. My condolences :cry:

years later I found a picture on which I actually did look a liiiittle bit like him - but the important things is that I look awesome NOW ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:40 am

Laura, just the idea of Roger Waters being a spectacle makes me want to go even more! I can't expect a 67 year old man to put on an virtuoso vocal performance... unless of course his name is Ronnie James Dio. But the Floyd has always had a magnificent stage show with the lights and sound, so for it to be a "spectacle" means that it's just simply overwhelming underneath. :shock:
    While I agree the ticket prices are outrageous, like a Paul McCartney show, still seeing one of the innovators of progressive rock, for possibly the final tour, has got to be noted. You will not regret attending one of these days. :D

By the way, I recently watched David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk... if you haven't seen it, it's pretty damn good. I used to think Gilmour's solo material was a contrived version of recent Pink Floyd, but after listening and watching the pure genius behind his music, I realized the magic that this guy creates cannot be matched.

I'm glad you pretty much enjoyed the show, for nostalgia's sakes, :P ...but this tour could be the most epic since Zeppelin did the reunion shows at O2 arena in London. Just hold on to that, there are jealous folks like me out there. :cheers:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:42 am

Yes, Erik, you really need to see The Wall. lol - it's 6:30 am on Saturday and I woke up thinking about it!...must have had some creepy dreams about it :shock: :? :P It's a haunting visual and sonic masterpiece to be sure. That's why I referred to it as a spectacle. Here's another thought. I saw another 30 year old album performed in it's entirety about a month ago - Moving Pictures by Rush - one of my all-time favorites. The show was on a beautiful summer night at an awesome outdoor venue here. The whole experience made my heart sing - it was a very joyous rockin-out affair. So seeing The Wall and Moving Pictures could not have been more different on so many levels..... which prompted my rock concert vs. spectacle thoughts. I don't know if I'm making any sense 'cause it's early and I haven't had enough coffee yet - so I think I'll stop on that note. :lol:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:06 am

Tomasz wrote:Electronic as in trance/dance/techno and industrial type. I hope they'll have some of that on the ship so I can bust the move and take a break b/w rocking out ;)

Each cruise ship I've been on had an awesome disco/club. I imagine every space on this ship will be completely "metalized", but I think it would be beyond awesome if say from 3-5 am on just one night in the discoteque the DJ would spin some killer dance music!!! I LOVE TO DANCE!!!!! I think I'd totally lose it if they played Bust a Move by Young MC, Wild Thing by Tone Loc, Everyday is Halloween by Ministry, Fire Starter by The Prodigy, Block Rockin Beats (a big fave) by Chemical Brothers, It Takes Two by Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock (Hit it!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBRbzf3Fws , etc., etc. etc.
    me at the height of my "dance hall days" :shock: :lol:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 am

tyrwoman wrote:
    Tomasz wrote:Electronic as in trance/dance/techno and industrial type. I hope they'll have some of that on the ship so I can bust the move and take a break b/w rocking out ;)

Each cruise ship I've been on had an awesome disco/club. I imagine every space on this ship will be completely "metalized", but I think it would be beyond awesome if say from 3-5 am on just one night in the discoteque the DJ would spin some killer dance music!!! I LOVE TO DANCE!!!!! I think I'd totally lose it if they played Bust a Move by Young MC, Wild Thing by Tone Loc, Everyday is Halloween by Ministry, Fire Starter by The Prodigy, Block Rockin Beats (a big fave) by Chemical Brothers, It Takes Two by Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock (Hit it!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBRbzf3Fws , etc., etc. etc.

me too me too me toooooo.....Im pretty sure the dance area will be wall to wall chics! Although I have managed to drag a metalhead or two on the dance floor before lol :cheers: :beerwink:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Karaoke and now disco.

To quote Swashbuckle, "Aarghhhhhhhhhhh"
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:37 pm

BehnWilson wrote:Karaoke and now disco.

Oh dont you worry....we shall be draggin ur ass out there too ;)
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:42 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:Karaoke and now disco.

Oh dont you worry....we shall be draggin ur ass out there too ;)

On cruises Ive been on the disco was the last place open so if you still wanted to drink it was your only option.

Ive got a good story I cant share on the board from one of those 5am mornings, hahaha.

Im guessing the(couples not counted) male/female ratio on this one isnt going to be so good though. All my friends I told about this cruise joke with me that its going to be a giant sausage fest (at least compared to regular cruises) So I dont think a Disco will be a big hit (unless its the only thing open).
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:33 am

BehnWilson wrote:.....Ive got a good story I cant share on the board from one of those 5am mornings, hahaha.

Im guessing the(couples not counted) male/female ratio on this one isnt going to be so good though. All my friends I told about this cruise joke with me that its going to be a giant sausage fest (at least compared to regular cruises).....

Hmmm, I wanna hear that 5am story ;) :lol:

....and did you say....."giant sausage fest?" :lol: Yay - I've been waiting for any 'ole lame excuse to post two of my favorite "sausage fest" pix I took at Wacken
    from 2009 (does every European guy with long hair go to Wacken? :P :cool: :trashdrink: )

and from 2010 - lol - I grew up on Johnsonville bratwurst http://www.johnsonville.com/home.html so I was in brat heaven in Germany :P
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 am

LOL on the sausage fest pictures.

I will tell you the 5am story if we run into each other at a upcoming concert. It will probably be funnier in person anyways. I will say that I learned of a new term the next morning it seems I was the only one on the boat that wasnt familiar with it though, "The Walk Of Shame", lol.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:39 am

OMG LAURA....sausage pix.....HILARE!! ;) :lol: :headbanger:
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:49 am

^^^ glad you liked the sausage pix, Debb! I posted them mainly for you! :cheers: :P :shred:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:18 pm

tyrwoman wrote:^^^ glad you liked the sausage pix, Debb! I posted them mainly for you! :cheers: :P :shred:

OOOO MEAT! I love me a good sausage fest. :lol:

Pretty much any metal show I go to qualifies. I think the cruise will have more females than I have ever seen at any show.
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:18 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:

me too me too me toooooo.....Im pretty sure the dance area will be wall to wall chics! Although I have managed to drag a metalhead or two on the dance floor before lol :cheers: :beerwink:

I love to dance. And to Disco.

Dance! Dance! Dance! Keep on Moooooooooooooooovin.....Dance! Dance Dance!

I will be getting down and funky seriously on this cruise!

Shake Shake Shake
    Shake your boooooooooooty........

:)

I love Cheryl Lynn and Chaka Kahn

FEELLLLLLLLLL FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    I THINK I LOVE YA

or how about a slow dance

Peaches and Herb-

Reunited and it feels so goooooooooooooood
    Reunited and its understoood

I will be leaving the cake out in the Rain at Macarthur Park as well

BAD GIRLSSSSSSSSSSS Talking bout the Sad Girlssssssssssssssssssss

Sorry, carry on.... While I got listen to Abba Gold.

Mamma Mia......Here I go again, My My, how can I forget ya

Swedish Gods and Goddesses= ABBA!

ABBA FOR EVER!

VOUS LE VOUS!
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:23 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:

I love to dance. And to Disco.

Dance! Dance! Dance! Keep on Moooooooooooooooovin.....Dance! Dance Dance!

I will be getting down and funky seriously on this cruise!

Shake Shake Shake
    Shake your boooooooooooty........

:)

I love Cheryl Lynn and Chaka Kahn

FEELLLLLLLLLL FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    I THINK I LOVE YA

or how about a slow dance

Peaches and Herb-

Reunited and it feels so goooooooooooooood
    Reunited and its understoood

I will be leaving the cake out in the Rain at Macarthur Park as well

BAD GIRLSSSSSSSSSSS Talking bout the Sad Girlssssssssssssssssssss

Sorry, carry on.... While I got listen to Abba Gold.

Mamma Mia......Here I go again, My My, how can I forget ya

Swedish Gods and Goddesses= ABBA!

ABBA FOR EVER!

VOULEZ VOUS!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUx4tLPMo50

I could dance til dawn to Abba. :shock:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:32 am

@ Scott....I don't know if you are serious about liking disco, ABBA, etc. - but that was funny as hell - I mean REALLY, Peaches & Herb? What, are we at high school prom circa 1978 or something? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: To make it even funnier to me - P & H's Reunited is one of the performances on The Midnight Special dvds I bought recently http://www.midnightspecial.com/

The Carpenters to Zeppelin's Down by the Seaside to The Grateful Dead to disco. I love you, man. :P

@ Goddess of Metal: glad you liked the "sausage fest" pix also, and I agree that it seems there will be quite a few ladies on this cruise :cool:
    Last edited by Laura on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Okay Scott......I seriously gat a visual of you bustin a move right now....Aw hell yeah....Put yer back into it!! wooo hoooo!
    I cant stop laughing over here..... :lol:
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:^^^ glad you liked the sausage pix, Debb! I posted them mainly for you! :cheers: :P :shred:

OOOO MEAT! I love me a good sausage fest. :lol:

Pretty much any metal show I go to qualifies. I think the cruise will have more females than I have ever seen at any show.

I like metal shows for this reason and I like to see girls who get in amongst the pit with the guys too!

Speaking of girls at a show... Being someone who listens mainly to metal but likes some pop such as P!nk and is used to going to shows that are 80% male audience, boy is it a shock when you go to a sold out P!nk show and are surrounded by girls!! Just insane... :lol:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:23 am

When I was at the Exodus/Malevolent Creation show in Chicago Rob Dukes the Exodus frontman said, Wow, we actually have a couple girls in the audience and he was right I think there was 2 there. He said, we usually dont get any.

Sausage Fest, lol.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:43 am

BehnWilson wrote:When I was at the Exodus/Malevolent Creation show in Chicago Rob Dukes the Exodus frontman said, Wow, we actually have a couple girls in the audience and he was right I think there was 2 there. He said, we usually dont get any.

We tend to get a pretty decent ratio of ladies:guys at metal shows in Vancouver. If ya get the chance on the cruise, ask Rob D about the women at the Vancouver show. Then ask him what a Sasquatch is :twisted:
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:When I was at the Exodus/Malevolent Creation show in Chicago Rob Dukes the Exodus frontman said, Wow, we actually have a couple girls in the audience and he was right I think there was 2 there. He said, we usually dont get any.

We tend to get a pretty decent ration of ladies:guys at metal shows in Vancouver. If ya get the chance on the cruise, ask Rob D about the women at the Vancouver show. Then ask him what a Sasquatch is :twisted:

Most of the metal shows here are pretty much Sausage Festts, lol, especially the smaller ones with extreme bands. Ive only had one girlfriend that liked going to shows, I either go with male friends or by myself. Im resigned to the fact that most girls dont like the music I do. Its kind of a source of amusement at the office as none of the girls there are into what I like and we have fun with it. They get a kick out of the band names like Goatwhore. As a joke, I bought one girl at work who is as straight laced as they come a Goatwhore t-shirt and she actually loved it.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Thought I’d revive this thread since some non-metal music came up on the pic thread yesterday and it’s probably better to discuss further here….

@Craig and Goddess of Metal:
    great to hear you are both Genesis fans! I never owned any of the 70’s era Genesis, but certainly heard a lot of it via friends back then. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is the one I know best from that time. Starting in college, I got more into them and owned Duke (1980), Abacab (1981), Genesis (1983), and Invisible Touch (1986) on vinyl. Saw Phil Collins in the Summer of 1985 for the “No Jacket Required” tour. Then, muuuch later, in the fall of 2007, saw the big (and supposedly) final tour of Genesis which was outstanding –“Mama” was a major highlight for me. Just came across a cool youtube of that song performed at Wembly Stadium in 1987 in front of a massive crowd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdQdv-f1xHE Cool that you saw Genesis many times, Goddess! Also, very jealous you saw Peter Gabriel – never saw him myself. I only own two of his albums (on CD) – Melt from 1980 and So from 1986 – In Your Eyes from the latter is such an incredible song – for some reason, it often brings tears to my eyes – so beautiful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrzr4R3LpsQ

This music is so different than much of what I listen to now (metal), but it’s still great in my book. :beerwink: :D
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Thought I’d revive this thread since some non-metal music came up on the pic thread yesterday and it’s probably better to discuss further here….

@Craig and Goddess of Metal:
    great to hear you are both Genesis fans! I never owned any of the 70’s era Genesis, but certainly heard a lot of it via friends back then. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is the one I know best from that time. Starting in college, I got more into them and owned Duke (1980), Abacab (1981), Genesis (1983), and Invisible Touch (1986) on vinyl. Saw Phil Collins in the Summer of 1985 for the “No Jacket Required” tour. Then, muuuch later, in the fall of 2007, saw the big (and supposedly) final tour of Genesis which was outstanding –“Mama” was a major highlight for me. Just came across a cool youtube of that song performed at Wembly Stadium in 1987 in front of a massive crowd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdQdv-f1xHE Cool that you saw Genesis many times, Goddess! Also, very jealous you saw Peter Gabriel – never saw him myself. I only own two of his albums (on CD) – Melt from 1980 and So from 1986 – In Your Eyes from the latter is such an incredible song – for some reason, it often brings tears to my eyes – so beautiful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrzr4R3LpsQ

This music is so different than much of what I listen to now (metal), but it’s still great in my book. :beerwink: :D

The best Genesis show I ever saw was at the Uptown Theater in Chicago, front row center 32 years ago!!

HOLY SHIT...I just discovered it was recorded! http://www.genesis-movement.org/php/sho ... p?uid=4708
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:21 pm

I saw them way back then on the And Then There Were Three tour in Chicago, wonder if it was that show. Cant remember what the venue was.

Its funny, young people dont believe it when I tell them Genesis used to be kick ass. (same thing with Aerosmith)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:The best Genesis show I ever saw was at the Uptown Theater in Chicago, front row center 32 years ago!!

HOLY SHIT...I just discovered it was recorded! http://www.genesis-movement.org/php/sho ... p?uid=4708

Holy Cats! THAT is amazing! I'll have to hear more when I meet 'ya! Speaking of the Uptown, the only show I went to there was the Grateful Dead in February 1981. Man - that seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it? Egads, I think I'm on my 5th or 6th of 9 lives at this point. ;) :trashdrink:
    ShoreSlayer started a "Gig History" thread a while back in July viewtopic.php?f=4&t=405 - you should add to it!

@ Craig: Yesterday, I listened to the two Spock's Beard albums I mentioned (Beware of Darkness and The Kindness of Strangers). I don't think I had listened to them in a few years and it was a bit of a shock to my metalized system ;) :lol: . Still excellent - but uber proggy - maybe too proggy for 'ya. The 10 minute Doorway is amazing though from Beware of Darkness - love the opening keyboards, the lyrics, the guitar, the chorus, Morse's voice - well, everything I guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nbXl1gX7TQ
    Goddess, cool you like them and have seen them as well :cheers:
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 am

Mainly old rock-related stuff: Pink Floyd, CCR, Queen, Dire Straits, Genesis, Neil Diamond, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy (or are those two metal?), Van Halen, Whitesnake, Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Toto, Journey, Meat Loaf, Golden Earring...
    And apart from that: Bad Religion, Corvus Corax, Madball, TransAtlantic, Disturbed, Athlete, Vast, Spock's Beard, Dropkick Murphys, Tool, Merauder, Antimatter, Mostly Autumn, Arena, Porcupine Tree, REM, 3 Doors Down... Quite a lot actually.
    Last edited by Tuup on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:18 am

pfffuu... thought we had another jovink en de voederbietels fan om our hands...
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 am

Not quite... do Rowwen Hèze and Janse Bagge Bend qualify? ;)
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I don't have any on my MP3 player, but this stuff really stirs my 1/2 Scottish soul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0eRKq1lE

or the "Metal" version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLz8y5sp-lU&feature=related
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Disaster Area wrote:I don't have any on my MP3 player, but this stuff really stirs my 1/2 Scottish soul...

Although the only Scottish part in me consists out of whisky...I do like folk alot next to metal. So you'll probably see me around the folk metal bands @ the cruise. :viking:

The good ol' Dubliners, always trying to catch a show when they are in the area...those guys aren't the youngest any more. ;)
    And my personal favorite from our own Lowlands...Rapalje.

Rapalje - Glen Coe / The Pumpin's Fancy / Crossing The Minch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDav0yV-k_Y

Rapalje - Johnnie Cope / The Geese in the Bog / Turf Lodge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUUiQlM9U8

Rapalje - Caledonia - Inis Oirr
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqa82hSWohc
    Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Live Improv Jazz
    Blues
    Some Classical
    Hip Hop

Here is where ill get some very very weird looks but the only other musical genre, and yes I do consider it a musical genre, that I love right behind Metal is Gangster Rap. The two really arent that dissimilar but most people dont even attempt to listen to that statement haha. Its just enjoyable to confuse the ever living hell out of rap fans when they find out I know and love my rap almost as much as I love my metal.
    Marietje66
    Petty Officer

by Marietje66 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:04 pm

It would be easier to sum up the music I don't like.. which is house-music in general, and for the Dutch among us, "smartlappen".. which is a bit like country and western I suppose, but then worse...
    For the rest I like almost anything, with a big preference for Metal/Rock/Heavy music and Classical music. These two genres are far more alike then most people suspect...
    In the eighties I was very much into new age/new wave. Besides, I used to play in a brass band, sing in a church choir and took styledancing lessons, so lots of different kinds of music.

And Tyrwoman, your list of 70's song brought me back there as well. A major case of nostalgia...
    Everybody is unique, except for me.
    Tomasz
    Crewman

by Tomasz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 am

couldn't sleep so started browsing this thread and came upon sausages, my fav

anywho, I'm into camping and we have different themes with each camp out, one of them being sausages during our anaual "Sausage Fest"

I typically bring nice piece of wood for some grilling

and here is some of our sausages :)

Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 am

Marietje66 wrote:It would be easier to sum up the music I don't like.. which is house-music in general, and for the Dutch among us, "smartlappen".. which is a bit like country and western I suppose, but then worse...

Ik heb hier een brief voor m'n moedeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer! :headbanger:

Ehhh Tomasz, what kind of genre are saucages? Wrong topic?
    Edit: Didn't follow the whole off-topic discussion before...
    Last edited by Tuup on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 am

Tuup wrote:Ehhh Tomasz, what kind of genre are saucages? Wrong topic?

I'm convinced he's either part Dutch or a blood relative of Michael & Tim :lol:

Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:46 pm

WallieWallie wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:I don't have any on my MP3 player, but this stuff really stirs my 1/2 Scottish soul...

Although the only Scottish part in me consists out of whisky...I do like folk alot next to metal. So you'll probably see me around the folk metal bands @ the cruise. :viking:

The good ol' Dubliners, always trying to catch a show when they are in the area...those guys aren't the youngest any more. ;)
    And my personal favorite from our own Lowlands...Rapalje.

Rapalje - Glen Coe / The Pumpin's Fancy / Crossing The Minch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDav0yV-k_Y

Rapalje - Johnnie Cope / The Geese in the Bog / Turf Lodge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUUiQlM9U8

Rapalje - Caledonia - Inis Oirr
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqa82hSWohc

hey wallie, went to rapalje yesterday :lol:
    they were haveing a try out for their new show in Zaltbommel.
    needless to say is was a great evening for us.
    also proud to say I have the most unique rapalje shirt :cool: i can surlerly say no one else has such a shirt
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?