Post Reply 49 posts
Your 10 Most Influential Albums
  • Laura
    Commander

Your 10 Most Influential Albums

by Laura » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 am

I recently read a list like this by a musician in a music magazine – interesting food for thought! I was surprised how easily I could come up with my 10. They are not necessary my favorite albums by a particular artist (although in many cases they are), but they are albums that in many cases really got me into a particular genre and/or are closely connected to special and/or significant eras of my life. Since there is a wide variety of ages and personal backgrounds of folks on this forum – I imagine the lists will be quite different. I put them in order of release date. In my case, I heard most of the albums the same year or close to the year of its release date. I left out any explanation of why these albums were/are so influential to me, because I realized that would take me at least 10 pages to write. :lol:
    :shred:
    TOP TEN
    1. Yes: Close to the Edge (1972)
    2. Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic (1975)
    3. Rush: 2112 (1976)
    4. Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks (1977)
    5. Kraftwerk: Computer World (1982)
    6. Front 242: Front by Front (1988)
    7. Porcupine Tree: In Absentia (2002)
    8. Dimmu Borgir: Death Cult Armageddon (2003)
    9. Opeth: Ghost Reveries (2005)
    10.Amon Amarth: Twilight of the Thunder God (2008)

Honorable mentions:
    1. Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
    2. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    3. David Bowie: Low (1977)
    4. Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense (1984)
    5. The Smiths: Meat is Murder (1985)
    6. Jane’s Addiction: Ritual de lo Habitual (1990)
    7. Rammstein: Sehnsucht (1997)
    8. Immortal: At the Heart of Winter (1999)
    9. Pain of Salvation: Be (2004)
    10. Týr: Land (2008)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    asmegin
    Midshipman

Re: Your 10 Most Influential Albums

by asmegin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:19 am

An excellent thread!

In no particular order, the ones that I can think of right now.

1. Opeth (Black Water Park)
    2. Metallica (Ride the Lightning)
    3. Slayer (Season in the Abyss)
    4. Necrophagist (Epitaph)
    5. Cannibal Corpse (Bloodthirst)
    6. Korn (1st album) Yeah Yeah, I know a lot of people here may not like korn, but its what I grew up and this album isn't bad. Just ignore the whining of Jonathan Davis
    7. Meshuggah (Destroy Erase Improve)
    8. Ozzy (Blizzard of Ozz)
    9. Amon Amarth (Versus the World)
    10. Nevermore (Enemies of Reality)
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Hmm, I'm not a musician, so not sure how "influential" they are . But my favorites (in no particular order)

1. Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
    2. Edge of Sanity - Crimson
    3. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
    4. Morbid Angel (mash a few albums together so I only use 1 spot)
    5. Bolt Thrower - (mash a few albums together again)
    6. Madder Mortem - Eight Ways
    7. Artillery - Terror Squad
    8. Artillery - By Inheritence
    9. Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead
    10. Alice in Chains - Dirt

Asking me to pick a specific Morbid Angel or Bolt Thrower album is like asking me which breast is better, the right or the left. It's just all good :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:35 am

1. Iron Maiden - Killers
    The first metal or heavy rock album I heard - and liked on the first spin.
    2. Death - Symbolic
    Simply amazing talent, this album took extreme metal to a new level.
    3. Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
    Before all the crappy folk metal acts arrived, Primordial made a such folk metal album that it will never be topped.
    4. The Gathering - Mandylion
    Anneke.
    5. Swallow the Sun - Out of This Gloomy Light -demo
    Being friends with the band I got to hear the early stages of their music. Don't much care for the new album but the old stuff is great.
    6. Uriah Heep - Salisbury
    In the 80's this had a heavy impact on me, and I still consider it one of my favourites.
    7. Therion - Vovin
    An album to successfully mix opera and metal.
    8. Epica - The Phantom Agony
    With Simone's incredible talent Epica marched straight to the front of female-led bands. Extra credit for Mark's passion for death metal.
    9. Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting
    Some say this isn't even music at all, but for me it is. And great music it is.
    10. Vader - Impressions in Blood
    What can I say? I've listened to this one for more than a hundred times and still like it. A lot.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:59 am

Great thread idea but I'd rather it be 50 most influential cuz otherwise I'm gonna have to do a spreadsheet and I just don't have time this weekend. :lol:

Actually, I think I'm gonna have to repost later in the week from work when I have more time and do a list for rock, a list for metal and a list for other cuz there's just too many and I can't help but feel like I'm excluding a LOT of genius. Here's the best I can do in a crunch:

In no particular order

- C.O.C. - Deliverance
    - Concrete Blonde - Still In Hollywood
    - Rush - 2112
    - B.O.C. - Cultosaurus Erectus
    - Trouble - Psalm 9
    - Black Flag - My War
    - Slayer - Show No Mercy
    - Michelle Shocked - Kind Hearted Woman
    - Neil Young - Ragged Glory
    - Blind Melon - Soup

Oh, and:
    KevinP wrote:Asking me to pick a specific Morbid Angel or Bolt Thrower album is like asking me which breast is better, the right or the left. It's just all good

Classic!!! :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • FLORIDABOYS
    Petty Officer

by FLORIDABOYS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:18 pm

This is a great thread idea.

1. Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast -- First metal album to knock me off my feet. It still survives the test of time!!!

2. Armored Saint Delerious Nomad -- Great album from an even greater band!!!

3. Slayer Hell Awaits/Show No Mercy -- No comments needed

4. King Diamond Them/Abigail -- The master. The true master.

5. Nasty Savage Nasty Savage -- The album that started it all in Tampa

6. Cannibal Corpse Butchered at Birth --- The first album of theirs that I got into. I love Kill so much more though

7. WASP WASP -- Might be cheesy to most on this forum, but I loved that damn album when it came out.

8. Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell -- I can still remember buying it the day it came out.

9. OZ Fire in the Brain -- Great underappreciated group and album

10. Behemoth -- Choose anything by them. They just plain kick ass!!!!!!!! :viking:
    2011 70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor AND Permanent charter member ofthe Spectrum Lounge Metal Bums who drink Blue Moon beer

Wish List: King Diamond, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and KING DIAMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Blind Guardian's Imaginations from the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle Earth are hugely influencial to me. "Bright Eyes" was the first real metal song I ever sat down and listened to. I immediately went out and ordered these two albums, (Imaginations because it had Bright Eyes on it, Nightfall because it was based on Tolkien) and to this day I still think they are fantastic, landmark albums in heavy metal. My favorite fucking band.

Queen's A Night at the Opera must be one of the finest albums ever recorded, and Queen must be one of the finest bands to ever exsist. I remember listening and loving Queen when I was 3 or 4 years old with my dad. Every song is different, every song has it's own personality, every song pushes the envelope in production and bombastic flair, and every song is immaculately performed. The sorrowful croon of "'39", the hard-rocking "Death of Two Legs" and "In Love with my Car", the silly, supremely catchy flamboyance of "Sunday Afternoon", and "Seaside Rendezvous". The delicate lament of "Love of My Life", and two of the most EPIC fucking songs I've ever heard in my life, "Prophets Song" and "Bohemian Rhapsody"! And that's not even all the songs from that album!

Ensiferum's Self-Titled disk the THE heroic viking/folk metal album, as far ass I'm concerned. Songwriting, riffcraft, vocal performance, lyrical substance, production are all superior to Ensiferum's contemporaries and the horde of imitators. One of my absolute favorite slices of Finnish heavy metal. Absolutely unmatched atmosphere on the melancholy tracks.

Atheist's Unquestionable Presence represents the best disk from the first (and one of the few) extreme metal bands that I love. Unbelievably complex and timelessly heavy, it is through this album that I discovered the immeasurable depth of the bass guitar in metal. You simply cannot imitate this!

Kreator's Extreme Aggression represents my favorite thrasher of all time. I first heard this album on cassette, which I bought alongside Dio's Last in Line from some shitty used record store. Unbelievable intensity and furious in every possible way. Kreator is fucking LIVID, and no way in all the hells are you going to stoop them!

Moonsorrow's Kivenkantaja has got to be one of the most monolithic and crushing albums I've ever heard in my life. Every riff sinks to unspeakable depths, each melody cries for the ages of vast halls, fierce melees and stirring battle-cries. Utterly striking.

Tyr's Eric the Red makes me think of "the little band that could". Where the fuck did this album even come from? It's staggering to believe that one of the most creative AND authentic-sounding modern metal albums came from the Faroe Islands, of all places.

Rhapsody's Power of the Dragonflame is a complete and utter master-class in symphonic power metal as far as I'm concerned. These guys wrote the book on what was awesome when I was in high school. Incredible vocals, over the top arrangements, ridiculous solos, well-crafted songs, and shamelessly pompous, and I mean that in the best way possible. I remember hearing Rhapsody for the first time and I honestly didn't believe that what I was listening to was even possible, let alone allowed.

Dragonland's Starfall is my absolute favorite melodic power metal album ever, I think. This is one of the slickest, more streamlined disks I've ever heard. Everything is an enormously vast improvement over their prior works. The songcraft is fantastic, the vocals soar at a world-class level, the guitar solos are out of this world and the keyboard work meshes perfectly.

Kiuas's Spirit of Ukko is just a fucking statement of a disk. I didn't even know modern power metal could have such testicular fortitude.

Solstice's New Dark Age represents some of the most muscular, most epic, most fucking DOOM metal in exsistence. AIN'T NO FEEBLE BASTARD!

Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian features John Arch, the voice of wind whispering through moutain passages and wooded valleys. Spell-Binding. Godly.

I'm sure I've passed the quota by now. I'd like to quickly add in the following without any ado:
    Helloween's The Dark Ride
    Bathory's Hammerheart
    Omen's Warning of Danger
    Crimson Glory's Transcendence
    Symphony X's The Odyssey
    Dio's The Last in Line
    Wintersun's S/T
    Windir's 1184
    Wishbone Ash's Argus
    Jethro Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery

Holy I'm getting carried away.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:27 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Very well done Element! :beerhorns:

Indeed! Definitely a write up that makes me wanna listen to every item on it in its entirety, front to back, on headphones with no interruptions :headbanger:

• KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:16 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    SlaytanicE21 wrote:Very well done Element! :beerhorns:

Indeed! Definitely a write up that makes me wanna listen to every item on it in its entirety, front to back, on headphones with no interruptions :headbanger:

You'll like Atheist & possibly Kreator (german thrash, one of the originators along with Sodom, but 500X better IMNSHO).

I am disappointed that Slaytanic never heard of Atheist though. He ain't no young 'en, but it ain't no old fart either. I guess being a "tweener" caused them to slip through the cracks. Get PIECE OF TIME & UNQUESTIONABLE PRESENCE immediately. ELEMENTS the 3rd album is good as well, but a little more on the jazzy side (still extreme metal though) as the drummer had already left the band and they wrote the album in 40 days while in the studio to fufill a contract obligation.

It does boggle the mind that you could write and album so quickly & turn out excellent.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 pm

What I considered most influential is the stuff from when I was a kid/teenager which is pretty much when I formed my musical tastes. Some of the albums were greatest hits that I liked and then later got into the bands earlier works.

I wore out the UFO/Priest live albums as a teenager, absolutely loved those.

1.The Beatles - Let it Be
    2.Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks (Greatest Hits)
    3.Deep Purple-Machine Head
    4.Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock & Roll (Greatest Hits)
    5.Thin Lizzy: Jailbreak
    6.UFO: Strangers In The Night
    7.Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic
    8.Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
    9.Judas Priest: Unleashed In The East
    10.AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    Last edited by BehnWilson on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:23 pm

I just knew there would be super cool, diverse answers to this - :cool: :cheers: :cool: :cheers: to you all and keep 'em coming forum folk! For me at least, this is a very important question - for one, because I feel I am in a constant state of self-reflection lately (I attribute this to my age in my case, although I suppose self-reflecton can/should happen at any age ;) ) So, what music really blew me or you away? What music was special because it was/is connected to some incredible time or moment in your life? Music that made you want to know everything about that music/the people who made it/where it came from? Music that made you switch gears completely? My list included Yes (Close to the Edge), Sex Pistols (Never Mind the Bollocks), Front 242 (Front by Front) and Opeth (Ghost Reveries - not my fave of theirs btw way, but first I heard) - extremely different, yet all fit that bill to be sure.

Element0s - you are perhaps the youngest person who responded and who also went into the most detail - very cool. Can you imagine what your list might be like 30 years from now? I like to think about that kinda stuff since my list 20-30 years ago would be SO different - for example, so much of the kind of music I like now did not exist in any real form then. On that thought, :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • FLORIDABOYS
    Petty Officer

by FLORIDABOYS » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:42 pm

I just had to jump in and point out to everybody that Atheist was from Central Florida area (Sarasota). They really were (hoping still are) a great band that was progressive. They were way to ahead of their time. GREAT BAND!!!!!! :viking:
    2011 70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor AND Permanent charter member ofthe Spectrum Lounge Metal Bums who drink Blue Moon beer

Wish List: King Diamond, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and KING DIAMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:00 am

These are the albums that led to the path I walk today.
    Without these records I don't believe I'd be the same person I am now.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath - We sold our souls for rock n roll
    Van Halen - Van Halen 1
    Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
    AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    Death - Spiritual Healing
    Slayer - Divine Intervention
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
  • BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:01 am

FLORIDABOYS wrote:I just had to jump in and point out to everybody that Atheist was from Central Florida area (Sarasota). They really were (hoping still are) a great band that was progressive. They were way to ahead of their time. GREAT BAND!!!!!! :viking:

they were and still are
    hopin to see some more florida bands especially atheist

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
  • FLORIDABOYS
    Petty Officer

by FLORIDABOYS » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 am

I can actually remember the first time that I saw Atheist in a local club. They just blew me away. Their music was on such another dimension. I am definitely going to buy their brand new comeback album -- Jupiter :viking:

• DOGFACEGOD
    Petty Officer

by DOGFACEGOD » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 am

1.METALLICA--KILL'EM ALL
    2.SLAYER--REIGN IN BLOOD
    3.MEGADETH--PEACE SELLS..BUT WHO'S BUYING?
    4.EXODUS--FABULOUS DISASTER
    5.DARK ANGEL--DARKNESS DESCENDS/LEAVE SCARS
    6.PANTERA--VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER
    7.ICED EARTH--DARK SAGA
    8.QUEENSRYCHE--EMPIRE
    9.IRON MAIDEN--ALL-----OZZY--ALL
    10.THIN LIZZY--JAILBREAK
    THIS IS IN NO ORDER JUST ALBUMS THAT TAKE ME BACK TO GREAT TIMES EVERYTIME I LISTEN TO THEM : :beerhorns:
  • BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:02 pm

FLORIDABOYS wrote:I can actually remember the first time that I saw Atheist in a local club. They just blew me away. Their music was on such another dimension. I am definitely going to buy their brand new comeback album -- Jupiter :viking:

Hell yeah
    I saw them in hollywood for their first show in north america since the nineties.

Jupiter is gonna be the shit.
    Last edited by BierVulf on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

by KK Cruiser » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Not enough Judas Priest on these lists.

Big Priest fan.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 pm

nice topic to read, especially when some insights are given, too

i just start, though i have not yet a clue where this is going:

the metal decade sampler 88/89 - containing "the best" songs of those two years; it was the first time i got in touch with bands like running wild, wasp, alice cooper, helloween, judas priest, manowar, chroming rose or heavens gate
    axxis - kingdom of the night / II we had a tape with those two albums and listened to it countless times; i can even remember listening to it in the car with our parents; the first two albums i got to know in a whole - i still love those albums and every axxis gig i attend to; last year's 25th anniversary show with tons of old songs was one of my favorite live shows i've ever seen
    chroming rose - louis xiv. - my very first CD - not very well known in the metal community nowadays...but whoever likes speedy, traditional heavy metal should check'em out

argh, too many and too long phone calls...i'll have to continue some other time...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 pm

last_candle wrote:axxis - kingdom of the night / II we had a tape with those two albums and listened to it countless times; i can even remember listening to it in the car with our parents; the first two albums i got to know in a whole - i still love those albums and every axxis gig i attend to; last year's 25th anniversary show with tons of old songs was one of my favorite live shows i've ever seen
    chroming rose - louis xiv. - my very first CD - not very well known in the metal community nowadays...but whoever likes speedy, traditional heavy metal should check'em out

Haha, I have that Axxis cassette as well, saw them when I went to Wacken in 2008. And Chroming Rose is great, that album in particular. Back when Euro-power still had to have some balls!
    SAMANDRIEL:

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:15 am

the metal decade sampler 88/89 - containing "the best" songs of those two years; it was the first time i got in touch with bands like running wild, wasp, alice cooper, helloween, judas priest, manowar, chroming rose or heavens gate
    axxis - kingdom of the night / II we had a tape with those two albums and listened to it countless times; i can even remember listening to it in the car with our parents; the first two albums i got to know in a whole - i still love those albums and every axxis gig i attend to; last year's 25th anniversary show with tons of old songs was one of my favorite live shows i've ever seen
    heavens gate - livin' in hysteria - probably my second CD; one of the best pieces of heavy metal (as is their debut 'in control')
    helloween - pink bubbles go ape / live in the uk - one of the first tapes i got; i still remember riding my bike to the tennis court listening to my walkman: helloween also paved the way for lots of other metal bands
    running wild - pile of skulls - by that time i was already into metal and got to know the whole backcatalog of running wild; PoS was the first album i anticipated the release of and on the PoS tour i attended my first metal concert
    manowar - triumph of steel / the hell of steel - those were the two albums i listened to almost the whole time while reading "lord of the ring"; it took me years to listen to those two records again an NOT be thrown back to middle-earth
    angra - angels cry - still in the days where you read a review in a mag, went to the store and checked an album out; angra brought something new/fresh to heavy metal i didn't know before
    blind guardian - tokyo tales - i discovered BG rather late, namely the moment they released their first live CD; i immediately fell in love with it and still consider TT the best live album e-e-ever
    the 10th is yet to come ;)

since those days there were some more albums (mostly debuts) that had some kind of impact on me
    sonata arctica, edguy, nightwish, olympos mons, steel attack, lost horizon, wuthering heights...
    lately it's the 'dinosaurs' that bring out the most remarkable albums
    doro, judas priest, scorpions
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm

BUMP

I'd like to read some more lists (with comments!)
    wishlist '25:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Ozzy Osbourne....Diary of a Madman........pretty sure I slept with this album under my pillow....LOVE it to this day
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • Tomasz
    Crewman

by Tomasz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 pm

The following pretty much summarizes how I got here from late 80's. I can recall where/when I have heard the below noted for the first time and the emotions that went through me;

1. Def Leppard - Hysteria
    2. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    3. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
    4. Napalm Death - Utopia Banished
    5. Grave - You'll Never See...
    6. Obituary - The End Complete
    7. Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
    8. Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the Golden Hall
    9. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
    10. Blut aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:45 pm

1. Magnum - On a Storyteller's Night. Got me into them when I first heard it back in '89. The title track is still a classic.
    2. Helloween - Keeper part 1. Again back in '89 a mate new I liked hard rock so gave me a mix tape with Keeper part 1, Running Wild's Under Jolly Roger, and some Cacophony. First exposure to speed metal and me liked :beerwink:
    3. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth. Impulse buy many years ago - grabbed it at a record store knowing absolutely nothing about it. I just loved the cover. Incredible album.
    4. Whitesnake - 1987. The first hard rock cassette I bought when I was a kid. Coverdale had such a great voice.
    5. Gary Moore - After The War. The first CD I bought ever, back in 1989. I still have it, with the original price tag on it ($25 australian). Incredible guitarist.
    6. Nightwish - Wishmaster. Back when I used to trawl over FTP sites looking for stuff to download I used to see Nightwish everywhere and thought I'd give them a listen. Don't regret it for a minute.
    7. Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare. Big brother used to be into Alice in the 70s when I was a kid. Totally dismissed it as I wasn't into music at that age but years later I gave it a listen and that lead to a fascinating journey through Alice's catalog.
    8. Tourniquet - Stop The Bleeding. Probably the first christian metal album that to me, wasn't a 'good christian metal' album, but was just a 'good metal' album full stop. Lenaire and Ritter's singing coupled with Ted Kirkpatricks unstoppable drumming. Killer.
    9. Iron Maiden - Powerslave. The first Maiden album I ever bought. 2 minutes, Rime of the Ancient Mariner. so many brilliant tracks.
    10. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime. Floored me when I first heard it. Still love listening to it all these years later.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Element0s wrote:
    Ensiferum's Self-Titled disk the THE heroic viking/folk metal album, as far ass I'm concerned. Songwriting, riffcraft, vocal performance, lyrical substance, production are all superior to Ensiferum's contemporaries and the horde of imitators. One of my absolute favorite slices of Finnish heavy metal. Absolutely unmatched atmosphere on the melancholy tracks.

Dragonland's Starfall is my absolute favorite melodic power metal album ever, I think. This is one of the slickest, more streamlined disks I've ever heard. Everything is an enormously vast improvement over their prior works. The songcraft is fantastic, the vocals soar at a world-class level, the guitar solos are out of this world and the keyboard work meshes perfectly.

I agree with both of these.

Ensiferum was pretty much the band that got me into metal back in 2001 when I was 14 years old. We had just got digital cable and there was a music channel called "metal". The first song I remember hearing on that was 'Token of Time'. I searched the Internet (we just got Internet too) and found the album. Got it specially shipped from Spinefarm in Finland, all packaged with a bunch of Finnish writing and stuff. It was amazing. Totally changed my perspective on music.

Dragonland's "Starfall" is probably my all-time favorite power metal album too. It's absolutely perfect. If you could wear out an album by playing it too much, I've done that. last.fm says that I've listened to that album about twice as much as any other album I own. I literally played that album on loop for four months straight, I can't get enough of it.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:21 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Something is really out of place here. :P

Everyone's gotta start somewhere bro! Hell, if I had to go right to the VERY beginning mine would be Glenn Campbell. Not exactly captain rocker :shred: :headbanger:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Yeah no, kidding lol

AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 am

When I was growing up, I lived in a neighborhood with only a handful of kids my age, & because I didn't go to their school & we lived in the "creepy house(we were the people who never cut our lawn, making the house almost completely obscured from the street)", I was bullied a lot by the kids who normally would have been my friends. Instead, I found myself tagging along with kids who were easily 5-8 years older than I was. I was seven years old, & I got to hang out with the high school kids. They kept me out of trouble, & they got me into their music. Sure, I had my first beer way before a lot of people, but they meant well, I guess. They would make me tapes that I would play on my little white & teal cassette player. I'll always be grateful to them for it.

1. Pearl Jam- Ten: The band that started it all for me. My best friend(as best as a 7 year old & a 14 year old could be), Heather, had gotten a new copy of this album for her birthday right after I met her. I remember long days that summer, where we'd sit out in the pool & listen to this & Suicidal Tendencies' self titled album blasted from the stereo in her room that she faced out the window, while the three labradors next door would bark because it was so loud. I still love this band & I always will. They're not metal & I don't care. I have one of their logos tattooed on the back of my neck & I'm proud. They're the reason why I'm so madly in love with music.

2. Guns N' Roses- Appetite For Destruction: I heard "Rocket Queen" at a 4th of July barbecue at someone's house. Still the best song ever. Still the best album ever. In the universe. Ever.

3.Suicidal Tendencies- Suicidal Tendencies: See above :cool:

4.Soundgarden- Superunknown: Played ad nauseam by this kid, Dan who lived down the block. "The Day I Tried To Live" got in my head & stuck there. This was one of the first tapes I bought for myself...And then I played it ad nauseam.

5.Black Sabbath- Paranoid: Heather's parents had her when they were pretty young. I think they were 20, or so, then. Meaning they were in their early 30's when I was hanging around. This is where a lot of the metal(albeit, glam, for the most part) crept in. He dad was a trapper, for fun, & he'd always sit in the yard by his pigeon coup & clean his pelts with a little radio. I vividly remember him listening to Iron Man ALLLLLLL THE TIME & thinking that it just sounded like the coolest song in the whole world.

6.Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet: I'm from New Jersey. I have no better excuse. :cool: :lol:

7. Motley Crue- Shout At the Devil: There was an older kid(who was like 17 at the time), who's name escapes me, who Heather was over the moon for. He lived two houses down from Heather & had his own car(it as a pile of shit) with a CD PLAYER IN IT OMGHOWCOOLISTHAT?!?!?!! that he got after working the summer at some shitty place on the boardwalk. He used to have this blasting all the time while he was fucking around with crap under the hood. We used to go over there, sit on his steps (while he probably ignored us, lol),
    & listen to this over & over & over again.

8.Megadeth- Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?: My first real boyfriend's favorite band ever. He definitely influenced me. After we broke up, I went out & bought this album, to really sit down & listen to it, so I could see what all the fuss was about. Well, I got hooked.

9.Bad Brains- Rock For Light: I got really into hardcore & punk before I got into metal. I feel it was a really natural progression. This album is amazing.

10.Van Halen-1984/The Clash- London Calling: I don't feel either of these really need any explanation. Those songs all get in your head & stick there.

OW, MY CHILDHOOD :lol: :lol: :lol:
    D E C K 6
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:22 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:6.Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet: I'm from New Jersey. I have no better excuse. :cool: :lol:

you don't need an excuse for that :)
    actually, it should have been on my list, too - because I didn't really care about music before one particular (I must have been about 11)
    we were in a tennis camp and Bon Jovi and Roxette were on the Jukebox in the hotel
    first slow dance flashback :cool:
    Slippery When Wet was the first cassette tape I bought :)
    wishlist '25:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:10 am

Hmm lets see:

1. Led Zeppelin - Early Days (best of album - I have had to buy it 3 times from destroying the cds from listening to it too much over the years)
    2. Slayer - God Hates us All
    3. Kataklysm - In the Arms of Devestation
    4. Black Sabbath - Greatest Hits 1970 - 1978
    5. Amon Amarth - Versus the World
    6. Eric Clapton - Cream of Clapton
    7. Nirvana - Nevermind
    8. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
    9. Van Halen - 1 & 2 (yes I know - cheating lol)
    10. Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction (I'll let this sum up my hair/glam metal phase when I was younger lol)

There's so many that influenced the music that I listen to today and that I still love from Aerosmith and Motley Crue to Megadeth to the Doors and the Rolling Stones etc etc. The ones above were the most influential for me and all helped me get through tougher times in my life when I got into them and for that I will always be thankful. Led Zeppelin and Slayer are the two biggest examples of that.

Its great being able to share this stuff with people who appreciate the music with the same enthusiasm that I do, can't wait to drink with you all on the boat :cheers:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:21 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:OW, MY CHILDHOOD :lol: :lol: :lol:

My fave top 10 post evah!

Re: Slippery When Wet - I owned it. I have no excuse. I'm from BC.

Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:43 am

Most of these bands/abums are ones that opened up new music to me.
    1) Iron Maiden Live After Death- my brother gave it to me for Christmas 1985-days spent in my room with this on the record player--double sleeve album. lyric notes-- all the pictures
    2) Metallica-Master of Puppets-- opening of Battery-goose bumps
    3) KISS- Rock and Roll Over-first rock music I heard to my little 4 yr old ears- Love Em Leave Em-fave track!! Playa!
    4)Judas Priest- Screaming-- saw YGATC on a metal vid show special- Good Rockin Tonight
    5) Helloween-Keeper and walls of Jericho--first Euro metal-obvious gateway to power metal in mid 80s
    6) Savatage- Gutter Ballet
    7) Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell. So many influences on metal sound leading into the 80's
    8) Dangerous Toys-the first one-- so awesome!! When people started with GNR I liked these guys way better!! 10 boots!!
    9) Blind Guardian- Nightfall-- just so epic
    10) A combonation of some local bands/albums that has gotten me back into musci so much!! I never knew so many amazing local bands existed-- now I go to shows all the time and the last 10 years seemed so fukcing barren so horns up and props to
    -Kobra and the Lotus-
    -Order of Chaos
    -Striker
    -Samandriel and Viathyn and a ton of cool bands--nice to see the young kids knowing so much about music from 25 years ago!!
    :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:51 am

try but there are so many albums to chose from that meant so much ....
    1 Nazareth - Hair of the Dog
    2 Alice Cooper - Greatest Hits
    3 Whitesnake - Come and Get It
    4 Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
    5 The Doors - Best of
    6 Deep Purple - Machine Head
    7 AC/DC - High Voltage
    8 Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    9 Testament - Practice What You Preach
    10 Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

other tops
    11 Led Zeppelin - II
    12 Rush - Rush
    13 Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    14 Anthrax - Spreading the Disease
    15 Motorhead - Ace of Spades
    16 Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
    17 Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    18 Foreigner - Foreigner
    19 Saxon - Crusader
    20 Queen - Night at the Opera

could go on and on Beatles, Pink Floyd, Dio, Armored Saint, Celtic Frost, The Who, Iced Earth, Soundgarden, early Nugent, Aerosmith ....... well you get the picture :cheers: :givebeer:
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 am

AlabastRDisastR wrote:6.Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet: I'm from New Jersey. I have no better excuse. :cool: :lol:

Your better excuse would be "This album fucking KILLS it!"

I have it on vinyl and CD, (inherited from my parents) and I still put it on when I want to get my stadium anthems on
    SAMANDRIEL:

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:22 am

last_candle wrote:

you don't need an excuse for that :)
    actually, it should have been on my list, too - because I didn't really care about music before one particular (I must have been about 11)
    we were in a tennis camp and Bon Jovi and Roxette were on the Jukebox in the hotel
    first slow dance flashback :cool:
    Slippery When Wet was the first cassette tape I bought :)

MEEEEEEEEEEEMORIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS =')
    I honestly think, if I sat & thought about it, I could recall the first time hearing most of my favorite songs from when I was a kid.

Also: My first slow dance was not only a slow dance, but it was "Couple's Skate" at the roller rink, to Aerosmith's "Angel". :cool:

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    AlabastRDisastR wrote:OW, MY CHILDHOOD :lol: :lol: :lol:

My fave top 10 post evah!

Re: Slippery When Wet - I owned it. I have no excuse. I'm from BC.

I don't believe how EASILY this just flowed, too! There were so many great albums I listened to growing up, but picking out the ones that are most important to me...I thought I was gunna have a much tougher time. I could do top 10's all day I think. :shock:

Element0s wrote:

I have it on vinyl and CD, (inherited from my parents) and I still put it on when I want to get my stadium anthems on

I'm mad jealous. I want a record player so badly. :cry:
    D E C K 6
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Element0s wrote:

Agree, a great drivin' down the highway, windows open, hair and McDonalds wrappers flyin' album! That tour was of the handful of times I caught them back in the day. Cinderella opened on that particular tour, they had just put out Night songs which I really dug too (still do). We lived about 50 miles away from Houston and got a late start to the gig. Anyway, four of us doin' 110 on the 59 Fwy headed to the Summit in Houston in none other than, my 1978 CAMARO! (is there a more appropriate car to be driving to a BJ/Cinderella gig?) Man I wish we had a film crew following us that day/night it is one of the best memories of my life! :heavydrink:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Disaster Area wrote:Man I wish we had a film crew following us that day/night

+1

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Disaster Area wrote:... my 1978 CAMARO! (is there a more appropriate car to be driving to a BJ/Cinderella gig?) Man I wish we had a film crew following us that day/night it is one of the best memories of my life! :heavydrink:

I like (actually love) this A LOT!
    :heavydrink: :headbanger:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:21 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Its great being able to share this stuff with people who appreciate the music with the same enthusiasm that I do, can't wait to drink with you all on the boat :cheers:

X 100,000 million - I have no-one in my immediate friends and family (except for one person) who shares my insane passion for music :shock: )
    Are there others here "in the same boat" (hardy-har) as it were?
Post Reply 49 posts