Post Reply 9055 posts
random rejoicing thread
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: random rejoicing thread

by mooyagi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:They are awesome :D. Maybe we'll manage to not get them all stuck on the bottom of the pan next time :lol:

Pretty sure that one's all your fault ;)

I'm not the one who left the plastic spatula on the pan while the burner was on, forcing me to use the other non nonstick pan :lol:

Well, you always said you wanted a new pan and spatula, I'm just hurrying the process :mrgreen:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:08 pm

gnoff wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:
    gnoff wrote:oh I do as well!

But I have problems sleeping at night if I sleep during the day ;)

;)

I'm not Mexican after all :D

I would have never guessed!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Pretty sure that one's all your fault ;)

I'm not the one who left the plastic spatula on the pan while the burner was on, forcing me to use the other non nonstick pan :lol:

Well, you always said you wanted a new pan and spatula, I'm just hurrying the process :mrgreen:

Thanks hon. You're always so thoughtful
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:50 pm

We survived the trip to Gothenburg and had lots of fun, beer and bacon with Gnoff and Rhia!

Foum meet ups rock :mrgreen:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm

MadameLePink wrote:We survived the trip to Gothenburg and had lots of fun, beer and bacon with Gnoff and Rhia!

They do! glad you guys had fun :D
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Gonna do a Mighty Ducks marathon today :D. Watching the first one now :D
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:21 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:Gonna do a Mighty Ducks marathon today :D. Watching the first one now :D

Big hockey fan now??

Just watch Slap Shot.. the greatest movie ever.

:shred:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:Gonna do a Mighty Ducks marathon today :D. Watching the first one now :D

Big hockey fan now??

Haha well it was fun, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a big hockey fan :lol:. Always loved the Mighty Ducks movies, though. Will have to check out Slap Shot
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 am

Jaimie38 wrote:

Big hockey fan now??

You put the foil on, don't you Jamie?
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:17 pm

gnoff wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:We survived the trip to Gothenburg and had lots of fun, beer and bacon with Gnoff and Rhia!

It was bombass having you guys over!!

hell yeah! hope to see you all in copenhagen at some point! need more cool jewelry and stuff too!!!!!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    gnoff wrote:

It was bombass having you guys over!!

hell yeah! hope to see you all in copenhagen at some point! need more cool jewelry and stuff too!!!!!

You're always very welcome to come and visit :party: Beer & bacon & bananas!
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:39 pm

MadameLePink wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:hell yeah! hope to see you all in copenhagen at some point! need more cool jewelry and stuff too!!!!!

You're always very welcome to come and visit :party: Beer & bacon & bananas!

mmmm! :P
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Work day is over :mrgreen:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Lentil soup is yummy :D
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:35 am

gnoff wrote:I slept from 2200 last night until 0700 this morning, so good!
    Then snoozed an hour too...

i got almost 9 hours sleep last night too...so nice to recover after being drunk for like 10 days straight.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:58 am

gnoff wrote:Let this be a warning to those that dare visit the gnoffi

yeah, he will keep bringing more beers out of that famous beer fridge until you are about ready to pass out!

metal + bacon + sweden + generous gnoffi who shares his beer = best vacation!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:11 am

gnoff wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    gnoff wrote:Let this be a warning to those that dare visit the gnoffi

yeah, he will keep bringing more beers out of that famous beer fridge until you are about ready to pass out!

metal + bacon + sweden + generous gnoffi who shares his beer = best vacation!

We sure did some nice damage to the contents of my fridge!

Hey if you had the best vacation, I'm satisfied :cheers:

i certainly drank more than probably any other vacation. LOL
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:13 pm

only 3 days in and I already have 3 items sold and a whole bunch of bidders and watchers! So far so good.

ps - if you're interested in bidding awesome, but even if you can just help spread the word by sharing the link with people you know who might bid, it'll help me raise money to move and will be HIGHLY appreciated

http://www.ebay.com/sch/nythnuh/m.html? ... 4340.l2562
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:only 3 days in and I already have 3 items sold and a whole bunch of bidders and watchers! So far so good.

ps - if you're interested in bidding awesome, but even if you can just help spread the word by sharing the link with people you know who might bid, it'll help me raise money to move and will be HIGHLY appreciated

Cool! I will pass it on ;)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:only 3 days in and I already have 3 items sold and a whole bunch of bidders and watchers! So far so good.

Cool! I will pass it on ;)

thank you Kate :mrgreen:
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 pm

You're welcome :D
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 am

It's over! We finally negotiated a deal that I could accept. Not as good a deal as I would've wanted, but at least it's over now. And yes, I got a nice sum, so Barge or 70k is paid for now. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:36 am

Memnoch wrote:It's over! We finally negotiated a deal that I could accept. Not as good a deal as I would've wanted, but at least it's over now. And yes, I got a nice sum, so Barge or 70k is paid for now. :lol:

Glad to hear that! :cheers: One more reason to celebrate, drink beer and eat bacon :)

Beer and bananas!
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 am

Cashed in my petro points got some scratch tickets won 25 bucks

since i dont pay for gas thanks to the work perks its pure profit
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 am

Memnoch wrote:It's over! We finally negotiated a deal that I could accept. Not as good a deal as I would've wanted, but at least it's over now. And yes, I got a nice sum, so Barge or 70k is paid for now. :lol:

congrats, what a relief that it's all over!!!!!!!! :deathhorns:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:57 am

gnoff wrote:

And your name is cleared too?

Well, technically no, but I'm allowed to tell anyone the contents of the deal and what the situation was. So yes, my name is cleared in a way.

:bangers:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:31 am

Yeah, I like cash. Not as much as bacon, but yes, I like it. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 am

I LOVE THE FOE FEATURE HERE. GOT ONE BITCH ON IT AND CANNOT SEE HER POSTS !! WOO HOOOOOOOO :bitch: :givebeer: :deathmetal: :death: :shred: :metalguy: :viking:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 am

Congrats!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 am

gnoff wrote:
    TOM CRUISE wrote:I LOVE THE FOE FEATURE HERE. GOT ONE BITCH ON IT AND CANNOT SEE HER POSTS !! WOO HOOOOOOOO :bitch: :givebeer: :deathmetal: :death: :shred: :metalguy: :viking:

Did you just call me a bitch? :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:59 pm

A few weeks ago our older daughter found out she did not get accepted into any of the ten "selective enrollment" Chicago Public High Schools she applied to. Getting your kids into the better public schools here (e.g. magnet, selective enrollment) is a challenge. We really lucked out with the lottery for our kids' K-8 school (a math & science focus magnet school), but knew high school was going to be the next hurdle. She's a great student, but in one school's case, they received 12,000 applications for 250 freshman spots. The local papers reported it was a particularly "brutal admissions year." There are no longer racial quotas (FYI, for those who don't know, non-hispanic whites are a minority in Chicago), but the racial quotas have been replaced by 4 socio-economic quotas (called tiers) based on your zip code - each applicant has to have top admissions test scores and grades to be considered, and then they take an equal number from each tier. Bottom line is - if you're a smart kid from a "good" zipcode (i.e. neighborhood), the competition is super stiff.

So, I could have put all the above in the random bitching thread (and especially since daughter Veronica was initially devastated)...but, as we always tell her, be confident it will all work out somehow...the whole idea of when "one door closes, another one opens." In other words, no crying over spilt milk idea and we immediately went into rapid Plan B mode - and had her apply to some private and "charter" schools. (by the way, our local public high school has a high drop-out rate, is "low-achieving," and has a fair amount of gang-related problems)

Long story short, she was accepted into a great private school which she is very happy about attending in the fall....and to be honest, we all think will be a better "fit" for her all-around. Of course, the major drawback is paying tuition which we weren't expecting, but that's the breaks, and we'll make it work.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:27 pm

I always thought the idea putting a child's future in the hands of a lottery system is one of the most ridiculous things that can happen. It's a shame that system exists in Chicago. It may be good to get some of the better performing students out of low performing schools but it sucks that it's put to chance for the individuals applying. I'll hold off on a wall of text rant on the state of public education in this country. :roll:

Hopefully your daughter enjoys the new school and succeeds in it.
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Good for your daughter, Laura! I have lots of friends that went to private schools or alternative schools in high school and most of them had very little trouble getting into the top-tier colleges they wanted. I think it's just wonderful when parents take an active interest in their children's education.

Funny that Mooyagi brought up ranting about the education system, since I've been engrossed in a conversation today with a former fellow student and her mother about the state of the education system, and how we both became "well-educated" because our parents pushed us to learn much more than what was taught in school.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:Funny that Mooyagi brought up ranting about the education system, since I've been engrossed in a conversation today with a former fellow student and her mother about the state of the education system, and how we both became "well-educated" because our parents pushed us to learn much more than what was taught in school.

Parenting can be a great help to kids in their development. Parents that push their kids to learn more and have an active interest in their education are doing the right thing, but the education system also plays a huge role and that has a whole host of problems.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Laura wrote:A few weeks ago our older daughter found out she did not get accepted into any of the ten "selective enrollment" Chicago Public High Schools she applied to. Getting your kids into the better public schools here (e.g. magnet, selective enrollment) is a challenge. We really lucked out with the lottery for our kids' K-8 school (a math & science focus magnet school), but knew high school was going to be the next hurdle. She's a great student, but in one school's case, they received 12,000 applications for 250 freshman spots. The local papers reported it was a particularly "brutal admissions year." There are no longer racial quotas (FYI, for those who don't know, non-hispanic whites are a minority in Chicago), but the racial quotas have been replaced by 4 socio-economic quotas (called tiers) based on your zip code - each applicant has to have top admissions test scores and grades to be considered, and then they take an equal number from each tier. Bottom line is - if you're a smart kid from a "good" zipcode (i.e. neighborhood), the competition is super stiff.

So, I could have put all the above in the random bitching thread (and especially since daughter Veronica was initially devastated)...but, as we always tell her, be confident it will all work out somehow...the whole idea of when "one door closes, another one opens." In other words, no crying over spilt milk idea and we immediately went into rapid Plan B mode - and had her apply to some private and "charter" schools. (by the way, our local public high school has a high drop-out rate, is "low-achieving," and has a fair amount of gang-related problems)

Long story short, she was accepted into a great private school which she is very happy about attending in the fall....and to be honest, we all think will be a better "fit" for her all-around. Of course, the major drawback is paying tuition which we weren't expecting, but that's the breaks, and we'll make it work.

well i'm glad it seems it worked out well - congrats to your daughter and i hope she gets a lot out of her new school!!!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:49 pm

mooyagi wrote:I always thought the idea putting a child's future in the hands of a lottery system is one of the most ridiculous things that can happen. It's a shame that system exists in Chicago. It may be good to get some of the better performing students out of low performing schools but it sucks that it's put to chance for the individuals applying. I'll hold off on a wall of text rant on the state of public education in this country. :roll:

Hopefully your daughter enjoys the new school and succeeds in it.

Just to clarify, the admissions are different for the grammar (kindergarden-8th grade) schools here than for the high schools. The magnet K-8 schools are mostly lottery (but still adhering to the tier socio-economic quota system). The "selective enrollment" high schools are NOT lottery - admissions are based strictly on a combo of grades and test scores, as well as the quota system. So, getting into a really good public high school here is like getting into an Big Ten or Ivy League university - every kid there is "smart." That is why I always think it's dumb that they include the selective enrollment Chicago Public High Schools in the overall state rankings - comparing the achievements & test score of those CP high school kids to just about any other hs in the state is like comparing apples and oranges. The CP selective enrollment schools always rank at the top because the kids had to be smart to be admitted in the first place. (rather than for example, the high schools that my husband and I attended in the suburbs which simply drew from the mix (varying abilities) of kids in the neighborhood)

Don't want to rant too much on this...but I think the school "system" and especially the teachers are unfairly blamed for the overall "failing" Chicago Public Schools. Don't know if this is still true, but for a long time the CPS was considered the "worst" in the country based on test scores, drop-out rates (still around 50% I think), and the like. No doubt there are some bad teachers and bad administrators out there, but for the most part - the real issue is that there are massive (and I mean MASSIVE) social problems (e.g. family, gang, crime, drug, etc. related) involved with so many kids here. I've done some tutoring with some "disadvantaged" grade school age kids, and although it is very sad to say and sounds defeatist, it is like so many are born behind an eight ball. I'm not saying the public schools shoudn't try to do everything they can to help these kids (and no doubt some are able to rise out of their eight ball situation), but the reality is, there is a limit to what a school can do or provide.
    Last edited by Laura on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Oh - and thanks Ryan, Rhia, and Rachel for the well-wishes. :cheers:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

gnoff wrote:My arm is a lot better this morning, if it stays like this all day that's gonna be sweet!

Now it only hurts in a few positions and at a few ways of working it

feels pretty good after 2 months of pain

Guess them doctors are good for something every now and then :D

Excellent!!! :deathhorns:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Awesome! good that it's finally over :deathhorns:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Laura wrote:A few weeks ago our older daughter found out she did not get accepted into any of the ten "selective enrollment" Chicago Public High Schools she applied to. Getting your kids into the better public schools here (e.g. magnet, selective enrollment) is a challenge. We really lucked out with the lottery for our kids' K-8 school (a math & science focus magnet school), but knew high school was going to be the next hurdle. She's a great student, but in one school's case, they received 12,000 applications for 250 freshman spots. The local papers reported it was a particularly "brutal admissions year." There are no longer racial quotas (FYI, for those who don't know, non-hispanic whites are a minority in Chicago), but the racial quotas have been replaced by 4 socio-economic quotas (called tiers) based on your zip code - each applicant has to have top admissions test scores and grades to be considered, and then they take an equal number from each tier. Bottom line is - if you're a smart kid from a "good" zipcode (i.e. neighborhood), the competition is super stiff.

Shame she didn't get into the initial school she wanted but it's great that she's going to a good school in the end. Hopefully she'll really like it!
Post Reply 9055 posts