Post Reply 9107 posts
random rejoicing thread
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: random rejoicing thread

by Stained Class » Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 am

Krys wrote:Yay. I broke my caffeine addiction. Two weeks since my last Red Bull. :D

Fuck, I really wish I could do that but after a few years I still can't deal with getting up at 6.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 am

I'm going to allow myself the odd coffee, cola and mtn dew still but no more daily energy drink benders :gulp:
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    2017 - Likely my return :D .
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 am

Krys wrote:I'm going to allow myself the odd coffee, cola and mtn dew still but no more daily energy drink benders :gulp:

I subbed out pop with tea and I found it helped really well with my health and my wakefullness. Still though there are those days when I need more than a cup of tea to get me going so I go for a monster or something. I try to keep myself to 2 or 3 energy drinks a week max, but that's still probably too many.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 am

I was up to a four pack of Monster a day. Not healthy at all!

I like tea so maybe I'll just ice it, we've got good weather for that.
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 am

I just drink coffee. One or two cups usually do the trick. I try to drink only one, though, because I don't want to develop tolerance to caffeine.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm

sucks you guys need caffiene to function - have you tried the 5 hr energy shot? Thats supposed to be less unhealthy than energy drinks. Tea is also a better substitution like Joey mentioned -

I try to avoid caffiene if I can - It gives me a headache and hurts my stomach - I like coffee but maybe drink it once a month if at all.. I don't like having to rely on anything to stay awake.

Good luck with finding better ways to stay awake :)

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Re the caffiene discussion - you can call me a caffiene addict since I was a teenager... no doubt this has contributed to my primarily manic personality (manic as in higher than average elevated mood & excitability :? :P ). Not HUGE quantities - but steady - anywhere from 2-3 or more servings a day - favorites being coffee, Coke, and the blue Monster drinks. Only gave it up when I was pregnant both times and some months before (I take that back - I had about half a cup of coffee a day because my midwife thought that amount was fine). My sister, my mom, my husband and I - huge coffee drinkers - love it!!

Rejoice(s) for the day....
    * Read the other day that Pain of Salvation plans to come back to the US soon.... yay!
    * Scored tickets today for my sister, brother-in-law, my husband and I to see Robert Plant at Taste of Chicago on July 12th. Lol - the last time I saw Plant was with my sister & brother-in-law in August 1983. Do I really want to see 64 year old Plant do Black Dog?? (a favorite when I was in junior high because it was so "naughty" :roll: :lol: ) Oh, why not I say! Also scored tickets for the girls & I to see Fun at Taste on July 10. Prolly no one here cares about such things - but Fun won the 2013 Grammy Award for Best New Artist and the Song of the Year for "We are Young." I personally am not a fan of this band, but the girls are - so it shall be fun to see Fun!! :roll:
    * seeing Book of Mormon tonight!!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

June 5-9 I'm planning a trip to Clearwater, FL to hang out with Monmisreal and Daenerys and have some great fun in the sun... Busch Gardens for some coasters, beach time and general fun are highly anticipated!
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Laura wrote:* Scored tickets today for my sister, brother-in-law, my husband and I to see Robert Plant at Taste of Chicago on July 12th. Lol - the last time I saw Plant was with my sister & brother-in-law in August 1983. Do I really want to see 64 year old Plant do Black Dog?? (a favorite when I was in junior high because it was so "naughty" :roll: :lol: ) Oh, why not I say!

I saw him last year. AMAZING. I'm sure you'll have a blast. :headbanger:

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Wed May 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Scored tickets today for my sister, brother-in-law, my husband and I to see Robert Plant at Taste of Chicago on July 12th. Lol - the last time I saw Plant was with my sister & brother-in-law in August 1983. Do I really want to see 64 year old Plant do Black Dog??

You definitely do! I saw Robert Plant in Ottawa 2005 and it was a marvelous show :D
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 am

I found a bottle of whisky with my name on it! :whisky: Literally. Image
    http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/the-tasti ... ries/einar
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu May 16, 2013 1:36 am

You must've drunk your fair share of their products to get them to name a whiskey after you. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Fri May 17, 2013 9:08 am

It's our national day, and it's ridiculously hot (for 63°N), so I'm sitting on the balcony enjoying a glass of white wine with lots of ice :bangers:
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 am

Krys wrote: Scored tickets today for my sister, brother-in-law, my husband and I to see Robert Plant at Taste of Chicago on July 12th. Lol - the last time I saw Plant was with my sister & brother-in-law in August 1983. Do I really want to see 64 year old Plant do Black Dog??

You definitely do! I saw Robert Plant in Ottawa 2005 and it was a marvelous show :D

Good to hear! Yes, we're looking forward to it. I mentioned Black Dog because apparently he's doing it on this tour - as I said, it has been nearly 30 years since I've seen him (haha - we were both a lot younger then!)...he was mainly doing his post-Zep Honeydrippers stuff then (which was great btw).

And need to mention - that the musical The Book of Mormon is really great - it is $$$ - but Chicago prices are apparently considerably cheaper than NY - we paid $80 for good first balcony seats - well worth it! They extended it here until September - I may actually try to go again.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 am

Laura wrote:
    Krys wrote: Scored tickets today for my sister, brother-in-law, my husband and I to see Robert Plant at Taste of Chicago on July 12th. Lol - the last time I saw Plant was with my sister & brother-in-law in August 1983. Do I really want to see 64 year old Plant do Black Dog??

Good to hear! Yes, we're looking forward to it. I mentioned Black Dog because apparently he's doing it on this tour - as I said, it has been nearly 30 years since I've seen him (haha - we were both a lot younger then!)...he was mainly doing his post-Zep Honeydrippers stuff then (which was great btw).

And need to mention - that the musical The Book of Mormon is really great - it is $$$ - but Chicago prices are apparently considerably cheaper than NY - we paid $80 for good first balcony seats - well worth it! They extended it here until September - I may actually try to go again.

He does a very good Black Dog. Or at least he did when he played here in November.

--
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 am

I'm rejoicing over the fact that I do not drink coffee (or energy drinks) ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am

last_candle wrote:I'm rejoicing over the fact that I do not drink coffee (or energy drinks) ;)

^^^ :lol:
    I had more than usual today though - made the pot o coffee kinda strong this morning and had about 3 cups - then late morning had a blue Monster (never have more than one of those in one day though) - I've been bouncing all over the place today - getting tons of stuff done - feel super energized!!! *sings: BTO's Taking Care of Business - everyday!* And stoked for tonight, stoked for the weekend! Stoked for summer!!

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Laura wrote:
    last_candle wrote:I'm rejoicing over the fact that I do not drink coffee (or energy drinks) ;)

^^^ :lol:
    I had more than usual today though - made the pot o coffee kinda strong this morning and had about 3 cups - then late morning had a blue Monster (never have more than one of those in one day though) - I've been bouncing all over the place today - getting tons of stuff done - feel super energized!!! *sings: BTO's Taking Care of Business - everyday!* And stoked for tonight, stoked for the weekend! Stoked for summer!!

summer? WHERE?
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri May 17, 2013 7:50 pm

YAY work was awesome today - got to sit outside at a park with my client while we both painted and chatted about her issues. Also finished up my season of bowling, and my team did awesome tonight, so I think we are going to end the season in 4th place rather than 6th that we were in before tonight!!! Not too bad - Also - added a new member to our family, a baby bearded dragon : ) \m/

Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Sat May 18, 2013 6:10 am

My hotel won the 2012 Connie Award, which goes to the #1 Hilton Hotel in the Americas, under 500 rooms!!!!!! :party:

Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat May 18, 2013 6:53 am

Malaka wrote:My hotel won the 2012 Connie Award, which goes to the #1 Hilton Hotel in the Americas, under 500 rooms!!!!!! :party:

Congrats!
    Re Simon's question "Summer?" Yes! It will around 80 degrees & sunny all weekend here. Yay!
    Ghost: Here Comes the Sun http://youtu.be/PLFFUIZfX9Q
    Love this!
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:05 am

Malaka wrote:My hotel won the 2012 Connie Award, which goes to the #1 Hilton Hotel in the Americas, under 500 rooms!!!!!! :party:

Awesome! Look and you "Mr.Csutomer Service" ;)

We won Volvo Dealer of the Year for the Third Straight Year in 2012.
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon May 20, 2013 7:08 am

Congrats on winning that head, Erik! Looks like Connie is ready to get his drink on!

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Amon Amarth's new album Deceiver Of The Gods will be released June 19 in Sweden, hopefully I'll have it available for the bacon festival on Friday June 21st :bangers:

Bacon, Beers, gnoff and Amon Amarth to welcome our arrival in Sweden! :viking:

I belileve that the album doesn't come out here in the states until June 26th, so it'll be the first chance I have to listen to it.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon May 20, 2013 9:55 am

Re Simon's question "Summer?" Yes! It will around 80 degrees & sunny all weekend here. Yay!

good for you! it will drop again under 50° F in the next few days :evil:
    wishlist '20:
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 am

Just got my ticket for Sabbath + Megadeth. It's gonna be a killer show. :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :shred: :shred: :shred:

--
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed May 22, 2013 4:37 pm

X-Thor wrote:Just got my ticket for Sabbath + Megadeth. It's gonna be a killer show. :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :shred: :shred: :shred:

awesome!

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed May 22, 2013 4:53 pm

last_candle wrote:Re Simon's question "Summer?" Yes! It will around 80 degrees & sunny all weekend here. Yay!

good for you! it will drop again under 50° F in the next few days :evil:

Triple digits F today. Fuuuuuck the sun hurts. :cry:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu May 23, 2013 2:45 am

Just got an offer for a bigger flat near my current one. The rent is only 100 euros a month more, but the flat is almost twice the size.
    It's about 400 meters from my current place, so I'd have to walk 1,5 km to work, which wouldn't be too bad. :)
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 am

Wow!! What a great week this has been - saw two amazing women the last few nights - so inspiring!!! Last night my family and I saw the one-women show called The Pianist of Willesden Lane - simply beautiful! And the night before I saw the author Anchee Min speak about her new memoir The Cooked Seed - another highly inspiring & beautiful woman.

The Pianist of Willesden Lane
    Royal George Theatre
    1641 N. Halsted Chicago

Set in Vienna in 1938 and London during the Blitzkrieg, The Pianist of Willesden Lane tells the true story of noted pianist and author Mona Golabek's mother, Lisa Jura. As a young Jewish pianist, Lisa dreams of a concert debut at the storied Musikverein concert hall. When Lisa is swept up in the Kindertransport to London in an attempt to protect her from the Nazi regime, everything about her life is upended -- except her love of music. Golabek performs some of the world's most beloved piano music in this poignant tribute to her mother's experience in wartime Europe. Adapted and directed by local favorite Hershey Felder, The Pianist of Willesden Lane is a riveting tale of hope that is a powerful testament to how music can help us survive through the darkest of times.
    http://www.theatreinchicago.com/the-pia ... lane/6291/

http://www.ancheemin.com/
    In 1994, Anchee Min made her literary debut with Red Azalea, her memoir of growing up in China during the violent trauma of the Cultural Revolution. The story left off as she fled her homeland, but a whole new life was just beginning. Nearly twenty years later, Anchee has written the next chapter.

From the shocking deprivations of Communism, Anchee is transported to America, with its bounty she still can’t access—with no English, no money, and no clear path. Anchee teaches herself the language by watching Sesame Street, keeps herself afloat working five jobs at once, and sleeps in unheated rooms in desolate neighborhoods. Lonely, struggling financially, and fearful of her visa expiring, she marries badly and then divorces, taking on the challenge of raising her daughter, Lauryann, as a single mother. But it is her dream for Lauryann’s future that will give her the courage and strength to endure. The story of Anchee’s eventual success—as a mother, a wife, a writer, and a woman—is an immigrant story that illuminates so many things we take for granted. And it is a universal story, about moving forward until you find a path – or find you’ve been blazing one all along.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu May 23, 2013 7:53 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:^ ^ ^
    Great read! You, sir, need to spend much more time in the Our Story thread!! :headbanger:

We have an Our Story thread?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:^ ^ ^
    Great read! You, sir, need to spend much more time in the Our Story thread!! :headbanger:

We have an Our Story thread?

I think there are two of them.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 am

the juice diet is goin' incredibly well, as far as results are concerned...
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:the juice diet is goin' incredibly well, as far as results are concerned...

great! tell us more - what exactly are you consuming? Inquring minds want to know. :P
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri May 24, 2013 10:35 am

Laura wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:the juice diet is goin' incredibly well, as far as results are concerned...

great! tell us more - what exactly are you consuming? Inquring minds want to know. :P

kale, cucumber, celery, lemon, ginger, apples all juiced

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

YAY its FRIDAY!!!!!!!

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri May 24, 2013 6:10 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:YAY its FRIDAY!!!!!!!

You can say that again! :deathhorns: woohoo!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Laura wrote:

So how long are you planning on doing that diet?
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri May 24, 2013 9:34 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Laura wrote:

So how long are you planning on doing that diet?

I swear I answered this somewhere... 4 weeks, then taking about a week off (but not goin' crazy with everything) and then trying for another 4 weeks

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Cool. I've always wondered what happens when people get off these juice diets and if you get proper nutrition from just the juice.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat May 25, 2013 9:40 am

KDibildeaux wrote:Cool. I've always wondered what happens when people get off these juice diets and if you get proper nutrition from just the juice.

the juice is all vitamins and micronutrients, which makes it easier for your body to absorb

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
  • Post Reply 9107 posts