Post Reply 3920 posts
Who are you? Introduce yourself!
    Rusalka
    Oiler

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself!

by Rusalka » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:39 am

Hi everyone! Since I'm new to the forum, it's best that I start posting after I've properly introduced myself.

City/country:
    Belgrade, Serbia.

Age (optional):
    26, but will be just after 27 on the next cruise (time really does fly very fast).

What first got you into metal?
    At the time, Metallica's S&M album was very popular, and I heard a couple of songs which I really liked on TV. Then I decided the try and find some more music from them and ended up buying Ride the Lightning. The least I can say is that my world has changed from that point on for more than 360 degrees.
    Interesting fact is that I never was much into Metallica, even though I was thrilled with Ride the Lightning album (as well as with Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All and Metallica). Actually, I never was into thrash, until recently.

Play any instruments?
    No, but I sing with my dog, if that counts. Of course, one cannot tell which one of us sings "more beautiful".

Top 5 bands?
    Without question, IRON MAIDEN (my first and last metal love). All other bands change from time to time, depending on my mood. I'm mostly into melodic black, but I do love a good (or bad) power metal band.
    Dimmu Borgir, older stuff.
    Agathodaimon.
    Hypocrisy nowdays.
    Sabaton nowdays, as well.

Can I add Witchery to "nowdays" category? I'm so much into them in the last six months.

What do you do?
    I currently work as some kind of paralegal at a Law Office in Belgrade and I'm finishing my law studies.

What deck are you on?
    7, room No. 7618.

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Where do I start? I'm a passionate gamer and used to love to watch soccer rather than go out with friends on weekend nights. And yes, I'm a girl somewhere deep inside.

That's about it. If anyone has a question, feel free to try and ask it :mrgreen:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:55 am

Welcome! Metallica and Iron Maiden were my first metal loves too, long before I started discovering other subgenres. Still no one tops maiden for new either. Have you seen em?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Rusalka
    Oiler

by Rusalka » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Yes, I've seen them five times in total. Twice in Belgrade and three times in Germany (all three times last year during The Maiden England tour). Unfortunately, they're playing in Belgrade on June 17th, but I have a flight to Germany the very same day in the morning and I still can't believe I'll miss them. Don't think I'll ever get over that one, but at least I've seen them last year.

What about you?

Ps. Glad to find someone who agrees with me on them ;)
    Madkill
    Petty Officer

by Madkill » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:35 pm

City/country:
    Alexandria VA (born and raised in Puerto Rico)

Age (optional):

Seeing Maiden's "Number of the Beast" video at 8 years old, scarily looking at the images, but absolutely loving the music.

Play any instruments?
    Know a couple of cords, but want to get drums (my neighbors might disagree)

Top 5 bands?
    Iron Maiden
    RUSH
    King's X
    The Haunted
    Iced Earth

What do you do?
    Engineer

What deck are you on?
    2nd

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    "How in the hell are you a Cleveland Indians fan???"
    "All in the same boat
    Rockin' on the same route,
    We gotta get together, join each other"
    - Bob Marley
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:59 am

Welcome Madkill

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Madkill
    Petty Officer

by Madkill » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks!
    "All in the same boat
    Rockin' on the same route,
    We gotta get together, join each other"
    - Bob Marley
    slayer666
    Wiper

by slayer666 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:00 pm

City/country:
    Belleville, NJ

Age (optional):

I grew up with my parents listening to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. At around 10 I started to search for heavier, and heavier music. From Trash, to Death, to Black.

Play any instruments?
    No but I do sing.

Top 5 bands?
    Dissection
    Slayer
    Dawn
    Vinterland
    Naglfar

What do you do?
    I own a security consulting firm and do security research.

What deck are you on?
    Buying my ticket next week!

My number one played song ever is by Beethoven (The only non-metal song in my top 100)
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Tue May 20, 2014 2:21 am

Hello fellow metalheads. Me and the misses will be joining you in 2015 on 70k tons of metal. We're first timers and really looking forward to it. Booked Sunday evening and am still waiting on confirmation. Getting anxious though. Email stated 1 businessday for confirmation, so I hope it comes in today so I can book our flights already too.

City/country:
    Belgium, country is too small to mention a city :P

Age (optional):
    34, will be 35 in 2015. Wife is 32.

School friends I guess. However, all of those grew out of it and how older I got the more I grew into it. :lol:

Play any instruments?
    I play trombone and my wife plays flute. Not much metal there, however they are metallic instruments :cool:

Top 5 bands?
    Iron Maiden
    Metallica
    Channel Zero
    Rage Against the Machine
    Black Sabbath

I'm a sucker for old stuff. I like newer and younger bands too, but can't really mention them as my favorites/top bands.

My wife has a totally different taste/style. She's more the goth type. Her top bands is also stuff with women in their line-up: Nightwish, Leave's Eyes, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation,...

What do you do?
    I'm in the IT business

What deck are you on?
    Booked a Promenade PR, so that will be 6-8 once I get confirmation

I'm a collector. Some stuff I collect is not creepy and weird (whiskey, computer games,...). Other stuff is getting weird (panini stickers - now with the world cup, trading card games, collectable card games,...) and now it's getting completely weird: toys like pluch stuffed bunnies, toy cars,... Luckily I have two little kids, so I use them as an excuse. :twisted:
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue May 20, 2014 7:52 am

Welcome DarthDavy!!!!!!!!!

247 Days to go !!!!!!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Got the confirmation. Made the payment and we're in cabin 8593, so that's deck 8 I recon.
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    sabaton
    Petty Officer

by sabaton » Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Hello neighbor ! Nice to see you onbroad !!!
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Wed May 21, 2014 4:40 am

DarthDavy wrote:Hello fellow metalheads. Me and the misses will be joining you in 2015 on 70k tons of metal. We're first timers and really looking forward to it. Booked Sunday evening and am still waiting on confirmation. Getting anxious though. Email stated 1 businessday for confirmation, so I hope it comes in today so I can book our flights already too.

City/country:

Age (optional):
    34, will be 35 in 2015. Wife is 32.

School friends I guess. However, all of those grew out of it and how older I got the more I grew into it. :lol:

Play any instruments?
    I play trombone and my wife plays flute. Not much metal there, however they are metallic instruments :cool:

Top 5 bands?
    Iron Maiden
    Metallica
    Channel Zero
    Rage Against the Machine
    Black Sabbath

I'm a sucker for old stuff. I like newer and younger bands too, but can't really mention them as my favorites/top bands.

My wife has a totally different taste/style. She's more the goth type. Her top bands is also stuff with women in their line-up: Nightwish, Leave's Eyes, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation,...

What do you do?
    I'm in the IT business

What deck are you on?
    Booked a Promenade PR, so that will be 6-8 once I get confirmation

I'm a collector. Some stuff I collect is not creepy and weird (whiskey, computer games,...). Other stuff is getting weird (panini stickers - now with the world cup, trading card games, collectable card games,...) and now it's getting completely weird: toys like pluch stuffed bunnies, toy cars,... Luckily I have two little kids, so I use them as an excuse. :twisted:

Welcome! I'll be on the same deck, in 8674. I do not have weird collections, but I am in IT as well. Isn't it nice to know that work cannot contact us about things breaking while we are at sea? :twisted:
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 am

DarthDavy wrote:
    City/country:

don't worry there are enought belgiums and dutchies abroad....

welcome anyway.
    and as a belgian, you do have try the blue moon. it's an american beer based on belgian beer
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    MikeB
    Petty Officer

by MikeB » Wed May 21, 2014 5:50 am

SaraMarie wrote:I do not have weird collections, but I am in IT as well. Isn't it nice to know that work cannot contact us about things breaking while we are at sea? :twisted:

IT here as well, and yes it will be nice to not hear about things breaking all the time !
    2015: Cabin 9527
    2016: Cabin 9219
    2017: Cabin 9675
    2018: Cabin 8215
    2019: Cabin 7449
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed May 21, 2014 5:53 am

Dutchguy-Tim wrote:
    DarthDavy wrote:
    City/country:

welcome anyway.
    and as a belgian, you do have try the blue moon. it's an american beer based on belgian beer

It's nowhere near as good as any Belgian beer I've tried though.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Wed May 21, 2014 6:06 am

Stained Class wrote:
    Dutchguy-Tim wrote:
    DarthDavy wrote:
    City/country:

welcome anyway.

It's nowhere near as good as any Belgian beer I've tried though.

LoL, I can imagine!

I think it's the only thing I'm going to miss on the cruise: my own beer.

I know I can get Stella Artois on the ship, but I'm used to the more heavier stuff.

Anyway, local American beer will do fine.
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed May 21, 2014 12:21 pm

I did some digging around on some forums a while ago when I learned we had a new ship. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned you can get a Chimay in one of the bars onbroad. And that is the bar you will find me at :cheers:
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm definitely all about the Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. You'll see me drinking those by the bucket.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Wed May 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Ravenlord wrote:I did some digging around on some forums a while ago when I learned we had a new ship. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned you can get a Chimay in one of the bars onbroad. And that is the bar you will find me at :cheers:

Well, the layout of the ship mentions a bar that serves an "extensive" array of foreign ales. So that one might be good. :cheers:
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm

DarthDavy wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:I did some digging around on some forums a while ago when I learned we had a new ship. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned you can get a Chimay in one of the bars onbroad. And that is the bar you will find me at :cheers:

Well, the layout of the ship mentions a bar that serves an "extensive" array of foreign ales. So that one might be good. :cheers:

I found a photo of the beer list on Freedom (sister ship of Liberty) in 2012:
    http://gallery.bluevine.net/displayimag ... fullsize=1
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm not worried either. There's a pub abroad this time :-D

SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Wed May 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Speedy wrote:
    DarthDavy wrote:

There's a section of that menu called "I just like the taste." Ha! Should there also be a weed category called "But I didn't inhale"?

Man, I love me some Hoegaarden, but looking at those prices, I think I'll stick to mostly Buds... or hard liquor. Maybe just mostly hard liquor. :shots:
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:17 am

SaraMarie wrote:
    Speedy wrote:
    DarthDavy wrote:Well, the layout of the ship mentions a bar that serves an "extensive" array of foreign ales. So that one might be good. :cheers:

There's a section of that menu called "I just like the taste." Ha! Should there also be a weed category called "But I didn't inhale"?

Man, I love me some Hoegaarden, but looking at those prices, I think I'll stick to mostly Buds... or hard liquor. Maybe just mostly hard liquor. :shots:

That section is called "I just like the taste", because it's basicly non-alcoholic beer.

That list is a bit disappointing.

Prices are not that bad no. A bud is also $5.25, which is not cheap, but it could be worse...
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu May 22, 2014 12:36 am

I'm good as long as they don't run out of SNPA and Tanqueray Gin. Well, if I end up going that is, obviously.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 am

SaraMarie wrote:

well, 4 euro's for a hoegaarden is a bit pricey, but not that pricey
    i like leffe as well :-)

it's going to be fun times :-)

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 am

Stained Class wrote:I'm definitely all about the Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. You'll see me drinking those by the bucket.

:lol: :lol:

(Yes, Sierra Nevada is great)
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    liser
    Petty Officer

by liser » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 am

First year for me and my husband. I've been creeping the board for a bit but since I have some questions etc. I want to post I figured I should introduce myself! Lot's of useful info on this board by the way, it made booking flights and hotels so much easier. So thanks. :)

City/country: Edmonton, Canada.

Age (optional):36

What first got you into metal? Like a lot of people in my age group it seems, it was the glam bands in the late 80s/early 90s. Poison and Warrant led to Motley Crue and G'n'R led to Metallica and Slayer and so on...

Play any instruments? Used to play the flute, but haven't touched it in at least a decade. So no I guess!

Top 5 bands? Manowar, Sabaton, Rotting Christ, Motley Crue, Blind Guardian. Although lately all I listen to is Mayan.

What do you do? I work at a polytechnic in health sciences.

What deck are you on? 8221

So next up I guess I need the wish list in the signature? Does it have to be realistic? Like can I put Manowar? ;)
    Alestorm/Amon-Amarth/Arch-Enemy/Amorphis/Arkona/Blind-Guardian/Cancer-Bats/Cattle-Decapitation/Dimmu-Borgir/Dragonforce/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Equilibriumor/Fear-Factory/Finntroll/Gormathon/Hypocrisy/In-Extremo/Insomnium/Iron-Reagan/Korpiklaani/Kreator/Manowar/Mayan/Melechesh/Nashville-Pussy/Ne-Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Nightwish/Powerwolf/Rotting-Christ/Sabaton/Septicflesh/Soulfly/Stam1na/Suicidal-Tendencies/Tau-Cross/Triptykon/Turmion-Katilot/Wintersun
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Welcome, liser!

liser wrote:First year for me and my husband. I've been creeping the board for a bit but since I have some questions etc. I want to post I figured I should introduce myself! Lot's of useful info on this board by the way, it made booking flights and hotels so much easier. So thanks. :)

Top 5 bands? Manowar, Sabaton, Rotting Christ, Motley Crue, Blind Guardian.

I'm seeing 4 out of 5 of those bands within the next 6 months, 3 of them this summer. :D

liser wrote:So next up I guess I need the wish list in the signature? Does it have to be realistic? Like can I put Manowar? ;)

Put whatever you want, I guess. I've seen some pretty unrealistic requests in some threads, for example, like asking for bands that don't exist anymore. Are Manowar even that expensive, or is there some other hurdle? They're still playing shows, I know that much. They'll play a small festival here in Barcelona, for example. But I don't know much about that band.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:55 am

I'm CountArioch, my bros call me Ian, and the ladies call me "Big Sexy". No, really...

This it my first year AND my first cruise, so I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing. I'm a fairly experienced traveler though, so I'm not scared. I technically haven't been confirmed with my booking yet, but I hope to hear back soon.

City/Country: Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA.

What got me into metal: Well, I was always into the earlier stuff (Hendrix, Sabbath, Zeppelin), but I never really got into metal until I was much older. I saw Metalocalypse for the first time (the episode "Dethtroll" to be exact). I thought the music was good, so I started looking farther into it. My ex wife linked me to Ensiferum (Into Battle) and I was hooked. It kind of webbed out from there (Saw Turisas and Eluveitie at an Ensiferum concert, then Alestorm and Tyr, and so forth). I mostly grok the folkish and pagan metal types, but I can enjoy a lot of different types.

My top 5? Eluveitie, Turisas, Ensiferum, Black Sabbath, and Jethro Tull (dodges multiple thrown bottles)

What do I do: I have the brutal and hardcore job of... answering phones. Can't complain, I make decent money and don't have to break my back doing it, so I don't have to worry about it.

Weird things about me? I breed giant spiders, I'm into BDSM, the last time I saw Eluveitie I wept openly during "A Rose For Epona", really I can go one but I won't, my roomies might be reading this, lol.

Deck? Not sure, but I signed up for "Superior Balcony D1 Quad", and I signed up alone specifically because I want to room with three random people. That's part of the adventures: are they going to be my new bros, or are they going to knife me, throw me over the side, and raid my suitcase for my delicious diabeetus meds? That's part of the adventure!
    liser
    Petty Officer

by liser » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:00 am

SaraMarie wrote:Welcome, liser!

liser wrote:First year for me and my husband. I've been creeping the board for a bit but since I have some questions etc. I want to post I figured I should introduce myself! Lot's of useful info on this board by the way, it made booking flights and hotels so much easier. So thanks. :)

Top 5 bands? Manowar, Sabaton, Rotting Christ, Motley Crue, Blind Guardian.

I'm seeing 4 out of 5 of those bands within the next 6 months, 3 of them this summer. :D

liser wrote:So next up I guess I need the wish list in the signature? Does it have to be realistic? Like can I put Manowar? ;)

Put whatever you want, I guess. I've seen some pretty unrealistic requests in some threads, for example, like asking for bands that don't exist anymore. Are Manowar even that expensive, or is there some other hurdle? They're still playing shows, I know that much. They'll play a small festival here in Barcelona, for example. But I don't know much about that band.

I hope I'm doing this right, I haven't been on a message board before so I don't really know how to use these quotes...

I'm seeing 4 out of my 5 in a 12 month period, so I'm not far off! Just waiting on Rotting Christ now. Are they one of the ones you are seeing?

I don't actually know that Manowar are unrealistic, I saw some people saying that on here so I just assumed it's true. :P Fortunately I saw them in Chicago in February. I'm actually pretty clueless at knowing how big or small bands are and I'm always surprised where bands play when they are in town!
    Alestorm/Amon-Amarth/Arch-Enemy/Amorphis/Arkona/Blind-Guardian/Cancer-Bats/Cattle-Decapitation/Dimmu-Borgir/Dragonforce/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Equilibriumor/Fear-Factory/Finntroll/Gormathon/Hypocrisy/In-Extremo/Insomnium/Iron-Reagan/Korpiklaani/Kreator/Manowar/Mayan/Melechesh/Nashville-Pussy/Ne-Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Nightwish/Powerwolf/Rotting-Christ/Sabaton/Septicflesh/Soulfly/Stam1na/Suicidal-Tendencies/Tau-Cross/Triptykon/Turmion-Katilot/Wintersun
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:17 am

Well, it isn't certain of course but the general thought is that they'd probably ask for too much money. UMC doesn't have the same budget as major festivals.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:39 pm

City/country: Edmonton, Canada.

Age (optional):36

What first got you into metal? Like a lot of people in my age group it seems, it was the glam bands in the late 80s/early 90s. Poison and Warrant led to Motley Crue and G'n'R led to Metallica and Slayer and so on...

Play any instruments? Used to play the flute, but haven't touched it in at least a decade. So no I guess!

Top 5 bands? Manowar, Sabaton, Rotting Christ, Motley Crue, Blind Guardian. Although lately all I listen to is Mayan.

What do you do? I work at a polytechnic in health sciences.

yay Edmonton!! Do you guys go to shows at Pawn Shop, Starlite? Have I spilled a beer on you at one of these venues?? Sorry.... :oops:
    Welcome!! Best vacation ever! My first year it was 25c in Miami, and flew home to -32c in Edmonton... haha

What deck are you on? 8221

So next up I guess I need the wish list in the signature? Does it have to be realistic? Like can I put Manowar? ;)
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:51 am

DarthDavy wrote:What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?

I have a bottle cap collection, and it's not even from different kinds of bottles, they are all exactly the same. I don't know why I am collecting them yet, it's like they speak to me and ask me to put them all into one big box, they must be preparing a world domination plan or something.

DarthDavy wrote:
    SaraMarie wrote:
    Speedy wrote:

That section is called "I just like the taste", because it's basicly non-alcoholic beer.

That list is a bit disappointing.

Prices are not that bad no. A bud is also $5.25, which is not cheap, but it could be worse...

I see a couple of Sam Adams boasting 10.3% and 9.5% respectively at $6.50, I think I know what I might be drinking. I just hope they're good, if not I'll just stick to the stouts.

Now, on to introduce myself I guess... I've been wanting to get on this damn boat since I first head about it in 2010, and every year I drop by to check the line up and cry a little inside. So I really can't put into words how thrilled I am to finally having allocated the necessary money and being able to NOT GIVE A SHIT about what I may or may not be doing those dates, I AM going, and that's the end of it.
    Also, I'm going by myself, so I'm sure I'll be meeting most/all of you guys over there, really looking forward to meeting brothers/sisters yet to be!

City/country:
    Playa del Carmen, México. But I'm also Spanish and an honorary Canadian.

Age (optional):

Metallica's S&M videos on MTV was my first approach I guess, took me a while to actually get into metal mostly because there wasn't much metal available around me, nobody else at school listened to much metal other than Metallica and one or two Maiden listeners, but after Highschool I took a year off to travel around and while traveling I spent a lot of time on my laptop looking for and listening to new bands (well, new for me anyways) and it just skyrocketed from there.

Play any instruments?
    Not really, basic familiarity with some instruments, good for goofing around but not enough to play a whole song on any of them, but I'm interested in getting a violin.

Top 5 bands?
    At this very moment, I guess...
    Testament
    Vintersorg
    Stratovarius
    Arch Enemy
    Dream Theater
    Based mostly in that those are the ones I've been listening to more lately, but this changes constantly.

What do you do?
    I am a diver.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
    Sleeping, watching movies, playing videogames, watching anime, reading, going to the beach, sleeping on the beach.

What deck are you on?
    2, Cabin 2604 (Any roomies around?)

I used to have a BIG crush on Avril Lavigne. If that's not weird enough, I now have a MAJOR crush (and have had it since like 2004) on Younha
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:37 am

HAH! Got my room payment in and my room confirmation. They asked me if I wanted a cheaper room since someone wanted to upgrade, and got one of the $666 rooms instead. I'm in 6231 now.
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Sup, gundiesalvo! I feel like I'm in the same boat, and not just literally. I've been wanting to go to one of these cruises since the first one happened.

I am from the US but living in Spain for the summer. Not that I have any frickin' clue what's going on here. Are you Spanish as in originally from Spain, or you just have Spanish relatives? Also, what is an "honorary Canadian"? Sounds like what people from Niagara Falls say when they don't want to tell people they're from 'Murica. :lol:

Stained Class wrote:Well, it isn't certain of course but the general thought is that they'd probably ask for too much money. UMC doesn't have the same budget as major festivals.

Hahaha, Rock Fest BCN isn't a major festival, I don't think. But, maybe they killed a lot of their budget on just that one band. There are a bunch of tribute bands and some small names playing at that thing. Manowar must be more popular than I thought.

Re: beer costs - On second thought, swapping Hoegardens for Blue Moons is probably a reasonable option. I love my whimpy Belgian white beers.
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Count, I got the same deal, hahaha! Ended up with a 666 cabin due to a cancellation, although on deck 2.
    Sara, I actually have never lived in Spain longer than a couple months at a time. I have the Citizenship because my Grandma was exiled during the Civil War, but I still have a lot of family there and visit occasionally. As for theHonorary Canadian, y attended and then worked at a Summer Camp there for 10 years and have made a lot of very good friends that are actually more like family, so they kind of adopted me as their Mexicanadian brother.
    It's great to see another avid follower of 70k finally being able to jump aboard! We'll have to celebrate with a lot of beer!
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
    liser
    Petty Officer

by liser » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:

yay Edmonton!! Do you guys go to shows at Pawn Shop, Starlite? Have I spilled a beer on you at one of these venues?? Sorry.... :oops:
    Welcome!! Best vacation ever! My first year it was 25c in Miami, and flew home to -32c in Edmonton... haha

[/quote]

Yup, we go to shows at Pawnshop and Starlite all the time! Most recently for Sabaton where I met a guy up from Calgary who will also be on the cruise. Seems like Alberta is pretty well represented? Have you been to the metal night they have on Thursdays in the basement at Starlite?
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:18 pm

liser wrote:Yup, we go to shows at Pawnshop and Starlite all the time! Most recently for Sabaton where I met a guy up from Calgary who will also be on the cruise. Seems like Alberta is pretty well represented? Have you been to the metal night they have on Thursdays in the basement at Starlite?

They have metal nights at Brixx?? Not a great room--usually hip hop, and comedy acts...will definitely check out!
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 am

Stained Class wrote:Well, it isn't certain of course but the general thought is that they'd probably ask for too much money. UMC doesn't have the same budget as major festivals.

Band drink card. FIFTY BUCKS!
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Manowars festival fees are beyond outrageous.Thats why over the last few years there have been several cancelations at festivals.Promoters couldn't sell enough ticket to pay their fees.(Same thing happend with the canceled show in the U.S).
    They even asked more than Iron Maiden for one festival before which they ended up canceling over late payments :lol:
Post Reply 3920 posts