Post Reply 3967 posts
Who are you? Introduce yourself!
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself!

by biertroll » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:30 am

Welcome Big Perken !

There are lots of Canadians onbroad. :beerbang:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • extremelyloudsound
    Wiper

by extremelyloudsound » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 pm

First timer going solo!

City/country:
    Dallas, Texas, USA

Age (optional):

What first got you into metal?
    Seeing a System of a Down music video on TV at a young age and being captivated by it

Play any instruments?
    I've been playing drums since I was 11

Top 5 bands:
    Ihsahn
    Xanthochroid
    Carach Angren
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Akercocke

What do you do?
    I am a student and work for an electronic cigarette retailer.

What deck are you on?

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    I don't get weirded out ;)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:38 pm

big perken wrote:2015 will be my first time, going alone.

Name
    -Andrew

City/country
    - Edmonton , Canada

What got you into metal
    - listening to sabbath with my father as a kid

Job
    - tradesman. (NDT)

Top bands
    - Thrasher so anything thrash

More Albertans! You know Ted and/or Diego?

Extremelyloudsound, nice list!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • big perken
    Crewman

by big perken » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Stained Class wrote:More Albertans! You know Ted and/or Diego?

Extremelyloudsound, nice list!

I lied I'm a Newfie pretending to be an Albertan. Na I don't know the by's
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Stained... didn't your avatar used to have a cat years ago? I know I've met you on the first couple of cruises. now you have Marlo in your avatar, the original Viking Bitch :)

I'm Ktulu (aka: Kent). Been on 70k2011, 70k2012, and Barge to Hell. Looking forward to going on this boat that was only built in 2007!

I'm 34.

My older sister and her guy friends listening to Metallica right when the black album came out, got me into Metallica, and ultimately just about all kinds of metal.

Marijuana is to Hard Drugs as Metallica is to All Metal. (Especially for people around my age and a little younger!)

Types of Metal I'm into:
    Metal metal (which naysayers may call 'metalcore' I still hate that term... basically the evolution of what metallica, megadeth was... into Pantera... then Machine head... then heavier and heavier, new wave of american metal bands, etc. I also call it 'regular metal'.. because to me it is :))
    Industrial Metal
    Doom Metal
    Death Metal
    Black Metal
    Progressive Metal
    Classic Metal
    Thrash Metal (which is kind of the classic metal to me)
    Math Metal
    Gothic Metal
    And all of the hybrids..... DeathDoom, BlackDeath, DeathCore, TechDeath, ProgTechDeath, etc. etc. etc... never-ending..

Not too much a fan of Power Metal or Punk Metal or Rock Metal, though I love the band Kamelot :)

What else am I supposed to say on here? I don't know... but I do know that I am looking forward to hanging out with my old metal family, meeting new metal family and celebrating our religion of metal music. I can't wait to have a great time with you all!

Anyone coming that is from Maryland, USA?
    Anyone else like to smoke cigars?

Let me know :)

-Ktulu :shred:

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:14 pm

I do cigars!
    So you like metallic metal? :-)
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Math Metal?

Is that like Math Core? Like Marmozets?

soooooooooooooooo many sub genres....enough already!
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:53 am

I am also a tech guy and like metal. Mostly because I have played Dungeons and Dragons my entire life, and most D&D campaigns can be written with Power Metal song lyrics.

I always had respect for the old-school dark musicians (Black Sabbath, Dio, Danzig, Rob zombie, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Alice Cooper, you know the drill). This is probably the stupidest thing anyone has said, but I got into metal when I turned on the TV late and night and saw Metalocalypse for the first time (s1e4, Dethtroll if you're interested in the exact episode). Having missed most of the more modern metal acts (other than Metallica and Pantera, neither of which I was really into), this was new to me.

Soon I discovered Ensiferum, Finntroll, and Nightwish. Paganfest 2008 introduced me to Tyr, Turisas, and Ensiferum. The rest, they say, is history.

I am pretty much assuming that I won't be considered a "true metal fan" on the cruise, but I'm not that worried. I'm more of a "Jack Black" metalhead than a "troo kvlt" metalhead.
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:24 am

CountArioch wrote:I am also a tech guy and like metal. Mostly because I have played Dungeons and Dragons my entire life, and most D&D campaigns can be written with Power Metal song lyrics.

I always had respect for the old-school dark musicians (Black Sabbath, Dio, Danzig, Rob zombie, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Alice Cooper, you know the drill). This is probably the stupidest thing anyone has said, but I got into metal when I turned on the TV late and night and saw Metalocalypse for the first time (s1e4, Dethtroll if you're interested in the exact episode). Having missed most of the more modern metal acts (other than Metallica and Pantera, neither of which I was really into), this was new to me.

Soon I discovered Ensiferum, Finntroll, and Nightwish. Paganfest 2008 introduced me to Tyr, Turisas, and Ensiferum. The rest, they say, is history.

I am pretty much assuming that I won't be considered a "true metal fan" on the cruise, but I'm not that worried. I'm more of a "Jack Black" metalhead than a "troo kvlt" metalhead.

Anyone who turns around and says "you aren't a true metal head" or "that's sissy metal" or anything to that effect is going to cop a swift headbutt to the face. We're all there to have fun, not take criticism from some d-bag who claims to be the reference point of the metal spectrum
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:38 am

Shelton wrote:Anyone who turns around and says "you aren't a true metal head" or "that's sissy metal" or anything to that effect is going to cop a swift headbutt to the face. We're all there to have fun, not take criticism from some d-bag who claims to be the reference point of the metal spectrum

CHEERS on that! :cheers:
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:56 am

Well, in all honesty, that sort of reaction is even more fucked up, and we most certainly don't need any violent people on the boat. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    manamachine
    Crewman

by manamachine » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 am

CountArioch wrote:I am also a tech guy and like metal. Mostly because I have played Dungeons and Dragons my entire life, and most D&D campaigns can be written with Power Metal song lyrics.

Let's be friends! I can very much relate to this. My path was more from "nu-metal" to power metal/symphonic metal, and I completely understand power metal overlapping with D&D and other nerd hobbies. I get really excited when I recognize references to books and games in song lyrics, and I'm most happy when metal is paired with awesome vocal harmonies.

That said, everyone has their own taste. As long as we're all getting something out of this cruise, we should be able to hang out and not judge each other because of a slight variation in preference. \m/
    Wishlist:
    All the power/symphonic/thrash.
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

There's no such thing as a "fake metal fan", as Sheldon said, whoever would say that is just a douche. Also "troo kvlt" is just as laughable a label as "jack black" (all labels are).

My first approach to metal was Metallica, when they were doing their S&M thing, but didn't dwelve deeper. Then I had a Magö de Oz phase followed by the revelation of both Folk Metal and Power Metal, and then thanks to the internet I discovered the vastness of the world that is Metal. My taste in metal is continuously changing, I will listen to pretty much anything except the "cores", not because they're fake but they just don't do it for me, I'm always looking to listen to bands I don't know and I still consider myself a neophite in this world. I mean, I listened to Hammerfall before I listened to Iron Maiden, HAHAHAHA! So there really isn't a RIGHT way to be a metal fan, we're all just a bunch of crazy people who love music for one reason or another, and lean to one side of the spectrum or the other.
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:57 am

Well said! :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Memnoch wrote:Well, in all honesty, that sort of reaction is even more fucked up, and we most certainly don't need any violent people on the boat. :beerwink:

Yeah, sorry my bad. Got carried away. But those people grind my gears. Maybe just a metaphorical headbutt to the face (meaning you get to miss out on my amazing friendship)
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Shelton wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Well, in all honesty, that sort of reaction is even more fucked up, and we most certainly don't need any violent people on the boat. :beerwink:

Yeah, sorry my bad. Got carried away. But those people grind my gears. Maybe just a metaphorical headbutt to the face (meaning you get to miss out on my amazing friendship)

That's the spirit! Normally I wear a Holden Racing shirt ( I'm Canadian, but I drove a car built by Holden-POntiac G8 :(

Now I have a Volvo --so PoleStar it is! ... Welcome!!
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:59 pm

manamachine wrote:
    Let's be friends! I can very much relate to this. My path was more from "nu-metal" to power metal/symphonic metal, and I completely understand power metal overlapping with D&D and other nerd hobbies. I get really excited when I recognize references to books and games in song lyrics, and I'm most happy when metal is paired with awesome vocal harmonies.

That said, everyone has their own taste. As long as we're all getting something out of this cruise, we should be able to hang out and not judge each other because of a slight variation in preference. \m/

I'd like that, lol.
    renato
    Wiper

by renato » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:17 am

Hi, first timer here

Brazil

Age (optional):

My father introduced me to classic rock when I was very young

Play any instruments?
    Guitar

Top 5 bands?
    Motorhead
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Carcass
    Amon Amarth
    Satyricon

What do you do?
    full time university student, civil engineering

What deck are you on?
    carlynjason
    Petty Officer

by carlynjason » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:10 am

welcome all newbies, you are all going to have the time of your lives, be safe and careful, try to regain some control and is a blast :)
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:54 am

Shelton wrote:

I never thought you'd actually resort to violence, just thought to point out that it's not cool to be a bigger asshole when dealing with one. Well, ok, it's cool if you're Bill Haraldstad or dealing with him. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 am

gundiesalvo wrote:

There's no such thing as a "fake metal fan", as Sheldon said, whoever would say that is just a douche. Also "troo kvlt" is just as laughable a label as "jack black" (all labels are).

My first approach to metal was Metallica, when they were doing their S&M thing, but didn't dwelve deeper. Then I had a Magö de Oz phase followed by the revelation of both Folk Metal and Power Metal, and then thanks to the internet I discovered the vastness of the world that is Metal. My taste in metal is continuously changing, I will listen to pretty much anything except the "cores", not because they're fake but they just don't do it for me, I'm always looking to listen to bands I don't know and I still consider myself a neophite in this world. I mean, I listened to Hammerfall before I listened to Iron Maiden, HAHAHAHA! So there really isn't a RIGHT way to be a metal fan, we're all just a bunch of crazy people who love music for one reason or another, and lean to one side of the spectrum or the other.

indeed!
    and if you need another example i guess you'll be hard find an example as me
    before i went over to "the dark side" (they have cookies)
    i listened to this kind of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7qTPMrI29U

then i met my girlfriend who introduced me to metal, and when i saw heidevolk....... it all went downhill from there :lol:
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
  • Korensky
    Wiper

by Korensky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 am

City/country:
    Los Angeles, California (from Australia)

Age (optional):

Listening to Metallica then Iron Maiden and Fear Factory while playing Doom2/Duke3D/Quake back in the day with my buddies on PC.

Play any instruments?

Some bass and some guitar.

Top 5 bands?
    Blind Guardian
    Alestorm
    Iron Maiden
    Slayer
    Amon Amarth

What do you do?
    I work for an online computer gaming company

What deck are you on?
    Deck 9

This is my second 70kTOM cruise. Last year was great but the lineup this year was so much better that I had to come again!
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:15 am

Name: Jairo :viking:

City/country:
    San José, Costa Rica

Age (optional):

Some friends introduced me to Iron Maiden cassettes

Play any instruments?
    No.

Top 5 bands?
    Equilibrium
    Children of Bodom
    Iron Maiden
    Saurom (Spain)
    Sonata Arctica

What do you do?
    I'm computer engineer, I'm working in a bank

What deck are you on?
    Deck 7
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:23 am

One thing's for sure: if the computers on the Liberty of the Seas break down, they will find plenty of people who can try to fix them. :lol:
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:30 am

DarthDavy wrote:One thing's for sure: if the computers on the Liberty of the Seas break down, they will find plenty of people who can try to fix them. :lol:

Operative word "TRY" :lol:
    9 Time Vet.
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    renato
    Wiper

by renato » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:53 pm

DarthDavy wrote:One thing's for sure: if the computers on the Liberty of the Seas break down, they will find plenty of people who can try to fix them. :lol:

- We have a problem with our computers
    - Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    :lol:
    PoOkie
    Wiper

by PoOkie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi!!

I'm Louise! It's my first time on the boat as a Stage Hand, I'll be there with a few other Canadians! Looking forward to meeting everyone!! yes.... every. one.

<3
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Welcome aboard Louise!!!...
    especially if that's your ass in your avatar!!! :o)
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:32 pm

For those old timers who didn't noticed...but guess who will be back...
    Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Guess I'll be coming alone on 70k tons of metal. My travel companion has to cancel the trip due to medical reasons. And it's a little bit short notice to find a replacement.

Ah well, more place for me in the cabin then. :beerbang:

But talk to the lonely Belgian on the deck please :oops: ;)
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:37 pm

WallieWallie wrote:For those old timers who didn't noticed...but guess who will be back...

WooooooHoooooo!!!!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:40 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    WallieWallie wrote:For those old timers who didn't noticed...but guess who will be back...

WooooooHoooooo!!!!!

The Dutchies are back! :headbanger:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:15 am

debborah1 wrote:Welcome aboard Louise!!!...

I like the way you think :-)
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:18 am

DarthDavy wrote:Guess I'll be coming alone on 70k tons of metal. My travel companion has to cancel the trip due to medical reasons. And it's a little bit short notice to find a replacement.

Ah well, more place for me in the cabin then. :beerbang:

But talk to the lonely Belgian on the deck please :oops: ;)

I'll talk to Belgians... unless you only speak Flemish!
  • jay
    Wiper

by jay » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:03 am

City/country:
    Bregenz, Austria

Age (optional):

1997 a festival with Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, and some other bands

Play any instruments?
    Airdrums
    Airbass
    Airguitar

Top 5 bands?
    there are a lot, impossible to pick 5

What do you do?
    Like a lot others here I am working with 0 and 1. IT technician

What deck are you on?
    9 - 9238

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?

Really? Can't believe that you are a metalhead
    PoOkie
    Wiper

by PoOkie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Sure is!! :P
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:18 pm

PoOkie wrote:

Sure is!! :P

Deb's THE BEST! Free AirGuitar Lessons,,yet I paid... THAT'S HOW AEWSOME SHE IS..

Welcome!1 haha
    9 Time Vet.
    ewest305
    Oiler

by ewest305 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:32 pm

bodomdragon wrote:
    ewest305 wrote:What do you do?
    I tell 1's and 0's what to do :mrgreen:

Another Computer Science guy onbroad... welcome! :)

Haha Thanks. My delayed response to your post. :viking:
    2017: Cabin #8660
    2015: Cabin #6314
    2014: Cabin #2534
    ewest305
    Oiler

by ewest305 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:34 pm

DarthDavy wrote:
    ewest305 wrote:What do you do?
    I tell 1's and 0's what to do :mrgreen:

Geek respones incoming:

There are 10 kinds of people: the ones who understand binary and the ones who don't.

Hahaha, classic :lol:

That's a good one. :bmhorns:
    2017: Cabin #8660
    2015: Cabin #6314
    2014: Cabin #2534
  • loreband
    Wiper

by loreband » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:07 pm

George

Worcester, Massachusetts

I first got into metal listening to Metallica's Black album and Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time

I like playing all kinds of instruments, but am most proficient at guitar.
    - Schecter C-1 Exotic
    - '91 Fender Stratocaster
    - Washburn Acoustic
    - Marshall JCM 2000 / Mofset / Valvestate 100

Top Five:
    Blind Guardian
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath
    Opeth
    Enslaved

I'm a manager at Jimmy's Pizza

Me and my fiancé will be on Deck 2 I think?
    Amorphis, Blind Guardian, Grave Digger Enslaved, Opeth, Symphony X, Children Of Bodom, Slayer, King Diamond, Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Pentegram,
Post Reply 3967 posts