Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself!

by Phoenix » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:21 am

I should update this too.

City/country:
    Calgary, AB, Canada

Age (optional):
    Early 30s

What first got you into metal?
    I've kind of always been drawn to harder music, but in junior high and high school I saw it slowly getting more towards metal. The big bands that originally got me into metal were Nightwish and Children of Bodom (RIP Alexi)

Play any instruments?
    I sing, if that counts. Hoping to finally do the on broad karaoke this year.

Top 5 bands?
    This changes all the time but here's my current selection:
    Amorphis
    Insomnium
    Omnium Gatherum
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Vision Video

What do you do?
    Engineering (Assistant) Project Manager in the Water/Wastewater Industry at a big engineering firm.

What deck are you on?
    9, with most of the other Calgarians.

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Y'know what, I'd rather that a stranger didn't come up to me and say something creepy about me.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Masky
    Wiper

by Masky » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:45 am

My family didn't listen to a lot of music when i was really young, I didn't like my friend's terrible taste in pop boy band music and would have rather gutted my eardrums with knitting needles, so naturally I decided to see what else was out there, I asked the only kid that was always sent to the office, had headphones on blasting some crazy noise out of and wears all black and doesn't look like he wants to cry in a corner to recommend me some music.. and so my love of metal began :headbanger:

Play any instruments?
    I've tried many, all relitively unsuccessful. I don't seem to have the knack for. I think closest to something I can say I can actually play is a kalimba lol

Top five bands:
    Hmm finding top of my playlist lately would be..
    Power Trip
    Havok
    Exodus
    Kreator
    Destruction

What do you do?
    Drive tractor trailer flatbed, over dimensional, heavy haul steel/ concrete/ construction/ end of the industry. Also operate oversized tractor trailer equipment in mining industry.

What deck are you on?
    No idea if that's good, bad or if it really makes a difference. Just glad to finally get my ass on the boat for the experience. Should have been on it years ago.

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    I have no idea how to answer that..say hi an don't be creepy maybe?? I'm sure I'll be awkwardly weird enough for the both of us :lol:
    cruise enjoyer
    Oiler

by cruise enjoyer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:51 am

Sure.

City/country:
    Tampere, Finland

Age (optional):
    Early 30s

My dad was big into guitar music, including hard rock and classic metal. According to reliable sources, the 3-year-old me LOVED Smash by The Offspring and it just kind of spiraled out of control from there.

Play any instruments?
    The guitar and a little bit of bass. Pretty badly, but I try.

Top 5 bands?
    I refuse to answer this question because I have too many "favorites" and they change constantly. Right now Extreme, Exodus, Testament, Trials (the defunct self-published one from the Chicago area) and let's say Fear Factory do things for me.

What do you do?
    Sysadmin stuff, mostly in the Microsoft realm. Active Directory and all that.

What deck are you on?

I'd probably die of embarrassment and I'd rather keep the cruise fatality free, so I'll pass.
    2024 2364. Professional Idiot™
  • daidai
    Wiper

by daidai » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:00 pm

Hey all,

Have been reading this forum for the past couple years since attending my first cruise in 2019 so I figured I'd actually start participating in the conversation :)

City/country:
    Houston, Texas (at least for the moment, originally from Germany and move around a lot)

Age (optional):
    Mid 30s

Started listening to metal in 5th or 6th grade and was sold on it after my first metal show which was Dio in 2002.

Play any instruments?
    Drums, singing

Top 5 bands?
    Changes from year to year but would currently claim:
    Parkway Drive
    Dark Tranquillity
    Powerwolf
    Coheed and Cambria
    Blind Guardian

What do you do?
    Management Consulting

What deck are you on?

Dack!
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2024: Ready to go
    Rafa
    Wiper

by Rafa » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:28 am

Turns out I made an account in 2018 prior to the 2019 sailing, but forgot about it haha:

City/country:
    Saltillo, Mexico

Age (optional):

Blind Guardian's "Tales from the Twilight World"

Play any instruments?
    Guitar, some bass, very little piano, and can sing (I have sung on a couple of the Pre-Parties!)

Top 5 bands?
    Blind Guardian
    Bad Religion (not metal, but the question didn't say "metal bands" haha)
    Alice in Chains
    Municipal Waste
    ABBA (see "Bad Religion")

What do you do?
    I represent a US-based language solutions company

What deck are you on?

Pass
    Survivor:
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 am

Rafa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:28 amBad Religion (not metal, but the question didn't say "metal bands" haha)
    Dude, I looove Bad Religion. Funny, last night I saw their fb post about their music video for the song "Sorrow" from "The Process Of Belief", quite cool!
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Rafa
    Wiper

by Rafa » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:58 am

cegr80 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 am
    Rafa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:28 amBad Religion (not metal, but the question didn't say "metal bands" haha)
    Dude, I looove Bad Religion. Funny, last night I saw their fb post about their music video for the song "Sorrow" from "The Process Of Belief", quite cool!
    Niice, I will actually see them live in March in a festival in Monterrey, Mexico! Even though I really like them, I've only been able to see them twice, once in Philly in 2013, and 5 years later at Mexico City's Hell and Heaven Festival.
    Survivor:
Post Reply 3967 posts