Locked 227 posts
More Extreme Metal for 2012
    ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK
    Oiler

More Extreme Metal for 2012

by ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I missed last time but am looking forward to seeing lots of brutal death, black and thrash metal acts when I go on this next one, not so much flowery "power metal" and shit like epica. But cheers to the organizers and promoters of this fine venture
    i want to open your mind
    i want to live your remorse
    i want to bathe in the blood
    that gave life to your corpse...
    ---
    Only Death Is Real
    http://darksoul7.com/
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: More Extreme Metal for 2012

by Azazel101 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree, their could have been more brutal metal but all in all, i have no complaintes.
    The cruise Fukking rocked :shred: :viking:
    I need to start working some OT cause after the last one, I can not miss the next!!!!
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Epica > Brutal Death Metal.

I love BDM as much as the next person, but it just doesn't compare to the structural complexity or musical density that something like symphonic metal has. (The singer is irrelevant in this instance)

Definitely need a better Death Metal/Power Metal ratio this time!! AND GIVE US SOME DOOM!! Please. :D
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK
    Oiler

by ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Evican wrote:Epica > Brutal Death Metal.

I love BDM as much as the next person, but it just doesn't compare to the structural complexity or musical density that something like symphonic metal has. (The singer is irrelevant in this instance)

Definitely need a better Death Metal/Power Metal ratio this time!! AND GIVE US SOME DOOM!! Please. :D

Well have you heard bands like Lykathea Aflame or Fiendish Nymph, or even Arcturus there are alot of bands out there who don't sacrifice heaviness for structure and beautiful elements... Epica, I'm sorry that is just like listening to keyboard faeries sprinkling gayness over your head...that cover they did of Crystal Mountain must have made Chuck vomit in his grave, utterly horrible. I will definitely be elsewhere for their set if they are on next time. But like I said, much respect to all responsible for this Cruise.
    i want to open your mind
    ---
    Only Death Is Real
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 pm

ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK wrote:Well have you heard bands like Lykathea Aflame or Fiendish Nymph, or even Arcturus there are alot of bands out there who don't sacrifice heaviness for structure and beautiful elements... Epica, I'm sorry that is just like listening to keyboard faeries sprinkling gayness over your head...that cover they did of Crystal Mountain must have made Chuck vomit in his grave, utterly horrible. I will definitely be elsewhere for their set if they are on next time. But like I said, much respect to all responsible for this Cruise.

I have heard them, and Arcturus uses a lot of keyboards in their music. Have you heard Epica's latest album though? Since the addition of Isaac (formerly of God Dethroned along with Arien) they've gotten a lot heavier. I'm not much of a fan of their covers though.

Unfrotunately I think given the nature of the festival, Power and Folk Metal will once again out rank the other genres next year. :|
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm

There are a lot of people here who like a lot of so-called "heavier bands"....so, this kind of comment is certainly not new. I was super pleased with the 2011 line-up overall - there were some of my very favorite bands on the cruise (mainly from the folk/pagan/viking genre) and Marduk who was really the only black metal band. I must say though that I really enjoyed seeing bands like Sabaton, Blind Guardian & Gamma Ray who I didn't know much about before they were announced. I don't really listen to bands like them much at all, but I was very pleasantly surprised!

Like 2011, my hunch is there won't be much in the way of "extreme metal" for 2012. I could be wrong of course - we'll just have to wait and see!
    :beerhorns: :viking: :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I felt 2011's lineup was failry diverse as it was, but everyone is always going to feel there should've been more of this or less or that or whatever (more Doom please!).
    Just remember with 40something bands playing, it will be hard not to be entertained, even if there are bands you truly do not enjoy. (simple solution there, simply don't go see their performance.)
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Emperor-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Candlemass-/-DarkTranquillity-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 pm

One of the things that really appealed to me about the 2011 lineup was it seemed to lean heavily towards Trad, Power and classic Thrash. I'm not a big fan of death and black but I can understand how people might want to see some more of tha represented.

I am with Nekrobarr though...more doom please! in fact please ask Candlemass, I know for a fact from talking to some of the guys that they would be interested in going.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Hehe...I know ROB would be happy with more doom! I don't know of much doom...but I did see Cathedral at Wacken 2009 and THEY WERE AMAZING - hence why they are on my 2012 (sig) wishlist. Don't know much about Candlemass, but have only heard GREAT things - also missed them @ Wacken 2010 due to schedule conflict with IMMORTAL. :beerhorns: I still need to check out St. Vitus and (Norway's) Devil as I will be seeing them both at HITS in Bergen.

So...bring on the DOOM!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm sorry that is just like listening to keyboard faeries sprinkling gayness over your head

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaave you met MetalWrath?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbqLEwdXv8

I'd be okay with some extreme metal. Would give me some much needed time to sleep.
    EveryFairyDies
    Oiler

by EveryFairyDies » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 pm

I live in an area that is absolutely saturated in black/death metal, so I get kinda sick of it really, really, quickly. Having said that, I also understand that some people can't get enough of that death metal stuff. I'd like a line-up akin to what we had this year, a nice collection of different sub-genres. From what I've seen of other festival line-ups (I classify 70,000 Tons as a festival, dunno if you do), there's alot of death/black metal in them, so I'd like a little more power/melodic/doom metal to be showcased. A friend of mine is over the moon about heading to the Maryland Deathmetal Fest in May, and I'm like "you'll have a blast, but I couldn't do that. I'd get sick of hearing the same thing over and over."

I think it would be interesting if we could get a group like The Iron Maidens to play. I think that'd be pretty awesome. Also, more bands with chicks in 'em in general. Two are not enough! We need more representation!!
    VAN CANTO; Tarja; Within Temptation; Sabaton; Manowar; Apocalyptica; Dethklok; Lacuna Coil; Stream of Passion; Krypteria; Spinal Tap; Rammstein for 70,000 Tons 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/themoshpit100.3 for heavy metal in Brisbane!
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 pm

EveryFairyDies wrote:Also, more bands with chicks in 'em in general. Two are not enough! We need more representation!!

AGREED!

Unexpect, ReVamp and bring back Cripper!

Also... Empyrean are from Brisbane. :headbanger:

EDIT: I just followed your Facebook link and realised who you are! LOL! HI LORELEI! :lol:
    Last edited by Evican on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK
    Oiler

by ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Yeah... I get sick of too much anything eventually, there needs to be diversity for sure. I'm not advocating "All 'extreme' metal only!" I like to see all genres represented and maybe discover some new favourites. Full disclosure; I listen to alot of non-metal music, bier vulf/the dude can verify this haha
    i want to open your mind
    ---
    Only Death Is Real
    ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK
    Oiler

by ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Ecliptica wrote:I'm sorry that is just like listening to keyboard faeries sprinkling gayness over your head

I'd be okay with some extreme metal. Would give me some much needed time to sleep.

What the fuck was that faggoty bullshit
    i want to open your mind
    ---
    Only Death Is Real
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm wondering why people who like Extreme Metal bands always wants to ride on the success of "real" Metal? An Extreme Metal cruise on the Majesty would probably get 50-100 guests I guess. This year Marduk and Finntroll had no more than 100 people watching them on the Pool Deck including me who was drunk and wondering what the hell was going on.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Tobbe wrote:I'm wondering why people who like Extreme Metal bands always wants to ride on the success of "real" Metal? An Extreme Metal cruise on the Majesty would probably get 50-100 guests I guess. This year Marduk and Finntroll had no more than 100 people watching them on the Pool Deck including me who was drunk and wondering what the hell was going on.

Finntroll having a VERY drunk guitarist may have had something to do with that. However, they played here two weeks ago and got a great crowd. As for Marduk, I wanted to see them but I'm pretty sure that both times they conflicted with other bands I wanted to see.
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Evican wrote:
    Tobbe wrote:I'm wondering why people who like Extreme Metal bands always wants to ride on the success of "real" Metal? An Extreme Metal cruise on the Majesty would probably get 50-100 guests I guess. This year Marduk and Finntroll had no more than 100 people watching them on the Pool Deck including me who was drunk and wondering what the hell was going on.

Finntroll having a VERY drunk guitarist may have had something to do with that. However, they played here two weeks ago and got a great crowd. As for Marduk, I wanted to see them but I'm pretty sure that both times they conflicted with other bands I wanted to see.

I don't think people left due to his drunken play. People were never there.
    EveryFairyDies
    Oiler

by EveryFairyDies » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Evican wrote:

When I was talking to Routa and Vreth in Brisbane they mentioned that, since they were on so late, they didn't get much of a crowd for either of their slots, but their Oz tour went really well from all that I've heard. It's one thing to have shitloads of extreme metal bands on the line-up when you're at Wacken, there's some 50 billion-odd metalheads from around the world who are spoilt for choice, and so groups like Finntroll and Marduk will get a bigger crowd, but when you're on a ship with a maximum 2000 fans, you gotta mix it up a little. Which I feel they did very well.

Oh, and btw, Kittie are NOT an outstanding representation of women in metal. They are a sad case of a label-created group designed to sell records based on the fact that the entire band is made up of chicks, rather than actual, y'know, talent and ability. "Hey look, a metal band comprised of chicks! I'm totally gonna buy their CDs, in the hope that the insert booklet contains photos of them naked!!!"

HI RACHAEL!!!!! ~lol~I thought that was you!
    VAN CANTO; Tarja; Within Temptation; Sabaton; Manowar; Apocalyptica; Dethklok; Lacuna Coil; Stream of Passion; Krypteria; Spinal Tap; Rammstein for 70,000 Tons 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/themoshpit100.3 for heavy metal in Brisbane!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm

ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:I'm sorry that is just like listening to keyboard faeries sprinkling gayness over your head

What the fuck was that faggoty bullshit

:shock:

It's called using a random internet clip or pic to try and humorously illustrate a point.

You'll see a lot of that around here whether your gay, straight, bi or hostile. Make yourself at home ;)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Did we somehow manage to put Marduk and Finntroll together into the sub-genre of extreme metal or did I miss a post that connected those dots? :lol:

Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:21 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Did we somehow manage to put Marduk and Finntroll together into the sub-genre of extreme metal or did I miss a post that connected those dots? :lol:

Fintroll like to class themselves as "extreme". I think that's how that happened.

Also... How was Kittie involved in this discussion? :?
    Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Bare in mind that both of Finntroll's shows were at like... 3 or 4 a.m. on the first and last night. Dunno what to say for Marduk though :P
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Evican wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Did we somehow manage to put Marduk and Finntroll together into the sub-genre of extreme metal or did I miss a post that connected those dots? :lol:

Fintroll like to class themselves as "extreme". I think that's how that happened.

Did someone tell them that extreme was spelled F-O-L-K? :shock:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm

I would definitely like to see lots of death metal, preferably brutal AND technical. But I do understand that those bands wouldn't get much of an audience. I loved Arsis last time, but they got only a handful of people to their shows. So it seems that of all the extreme bands people would go see only the bigger ones (Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death etc.), and, well, we've all seen them already. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok if CC or ND got booked, but would rather see some smaller bands.
    As for thrash, please, throw them off the ship already. Never liked thrash that much and this year there was waaaay too much of it. Same goes for power metal.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Memnoch wrote:As for thrash, please, throw them off the ship already.

You are an evil, EVIL man! :twisted:

ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK
    Oiler

by ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:17 am

Hmm well I guess i might have been just as well to not have posted this, as it's only seeming to stir the kettle of strife between factions and squabbling over personal tastes or petty arguments like marduk and finntroll, well all i can say is my own tastes in metal run more toward the faster, louder/slower, eviller kind of spectrum......
    As for the whole gay-hostile thing, ShoreSlayer, that's not an issue to me, i used the term "faggoty" only in reference to that lame vid clip from that lame tv show, which had no bearing on the subject at hand, and it wasn't my intention to offend anyone based on their sexuality or lack thereof for that matter...
    i want to open your mind
    ---
    Only Death Is Real
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:31 am

That's what I love about really loving all genres of metal, not to mention punk and grind going off the edge on one side, straight up folk going off on another, and just to prove it's not really a linear picture, a good helping of classical music spilling out on another side, and just plain experimental noise opposite that. I read thru posts like this and just find myself nodding at everything. Thought I'd finally chime in somewhere. I thought last year was great, and I, for one, find it hard to believe I'll be disappointed in whatever direction 2012 goes.

Really, Memnoch? No thrash?
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 am

ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK wrote:As for the whole gay-hostile thing, ShoreSlayer, that's not an issue to me, i used the term "faggoty" only in reference to that lame vid clip from that lame tv show, which had no bearing on the subject at hand, and it wasn't my intention to offend anyone based on their sexuality or lack thereof for that matter...

Fair enough. Still sounds (to me) like a way of speaking that attempts to perpetuate or reinforce that gay somehow equals lame. I'm not (and wouldn't think of) trying to tell ya how to talk. I just saw two posts out of seven that I perceived as containing homophobic type slurs and I try not to just let that stuff slide by without piping up if it bothers me. But it's a free forum and you have every right to offend me as much as you like ;)

And I'm wondering if I was just confused on the use of 'extreme' metal in this context. What I mean is... I've heard of a number of bands that don't consider themselves death or black or thrash and actually fall into a sub-genre called Extreme Metal and that makes sense to me with the way they sound and their lyrical content (I'm thinking of SYL and related projects in particular) whereas maybe what you meant was exactly what you posted which was more extreme metal or, to make the distinction I'm eluding to more clear, more metal of the extreme variety. Does that make sense? I mean, I think lots of metal that is much louder and faster than many others is extreme but just not what one would put in the category of Extreme Metal. Maybe I've been awake too long lol

Oh, and I don't think your post stirred anything up. We go on about these kinds of things all the time. No foul intended or taken for the most part as we're all pretty thick skinned about that kinda stuff (We have to be. Kevin lives here)

Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 am

gnoff wrote:Keeping true to the forum rules of derailing everything and never staying very serious, I'd like to add:

Only bands I like should be allowed, and play when I want them to.

Also everyone will think my karaoke is the best karaoke, and all the beers sold are brands I like.

Hmm, we should need more girls too, yes, more girls.

Welcome to Gnoff's party boat, please remove your bikini. :lol:

Totally agree with you though. So many people want it their own way but it's not going to happen. If you don't like the lineup, then don't go. Simple as that.
    Last edited by Ravenlord on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:44 am

gnoff wrote:Only bands Rob likes should be allowed, and play when Rob wants them to.

Also everyone will think Rob rules and all the beer profits go to Rob.

Hmm, we should need more girls too, yes, more girls.

+ 70K!

I fully agree sir! :beerwink:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:35 am

Memnoch wrote:As for thrash, please, throw them off the ship already.

ShoreSlayer wrote:You are an evil, EVIL man! :twisted:

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Really, Memnoch? No thrash?

:lol:

No, seriously, I don't like thrash. Ok, there are a few songs I like, but mostly just not my thing. Give me death metal or Dutch femme metal bands instead.

Oh and gnoff, I like your idea. I trust you know your beer but how about giving us a hint of what kind of girls would you be bringing? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 am

WOAH, who is this ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK person and where did he come from ? :shock: Image :shock:

ChAiNsAWguTsFvkK wrote: bier vulf/the dude can verify this haha

Oh okay, Duane's buddy. That simple fact explains alooooooooooooooooooooooot Image

Lest anyone think this is me under a different screen name or one of my mind controlled minions (although he would technically qualify for same). (and I'm sure Rachael thought I was up to something with his Epica rant Image)

Nice musical taste, nice avatar, don't condone the "fag/gay" thing Image. Don't think he meant any harm by it, but the context in how it was used was derogatory, so not something I will tolerate under my rule.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:47 am

EveryFairyDies wrote: A friend of mine is over the moon about heading to the Maryland Deathmetal Fest in May, and I'm like "you'll have a blast, but I couldn't do that. I'd get sick of hearing the same thing over and over."

#1 - let them know there are a whole slew us of going to this as well ( see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=637 )

#2 - have them bring multiple vegemite tubes to hand over to me

#3 - even as a fan of this style of music, I'll admit that there is almost ZERO variety at this festival, the cruise had a nice balance overall, which is what I generally prefer.

And because this is my new most favorite thing in the world right now, here'ssssssssssssssssssssss DANCEBOY!!!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:17 am

This is a "classic" 70K forum thread if I ever saw one - a genre discussion where everyone touts the bands and genres they like....with some derailment and humor tossed in!  :cool: :headbanger:

Anika (r.r.): as we've discussed and discovered - we are very much on the some page regarding having a broad musical taste. What's especially cool for me now is feeling so much overlap / cross-influences / points of convergance between and within all the music I have liked in my life, e.g. classic prog rock & prog metal, extreme punk & extreme death, early electronica & 80's synth-pop & industrial (of all kinds), classical/opera & symphonic metal....etc. It's strange - I even see or at least FEEL similarities between songs like Korpikaani's Vodka and a lot of 80's pop tunes like Dead or Alive's You Spin Me Right Round. The music may be "different" but yet equally lighthearted and upbeat - that is - just plain FUN in my book! And you can DANCE to it! *steals Kevin's DanceBoy!* :lol: :cheers:

ImageImageImageImageImage
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:30 am

tyrwoman wrote:There are a lot of people here who like a lot of so-called "heavier bands"....so, this kind of comment is certainly not new. I was super pleased with the 2011 line-up overall - there were some of my very favorite bands on the cruise (mainly from the folk/pagan/viking genre) and Marduk who was really the only black metal band. I must say though that I really enjoyed seeing bands like Sabaton, Blind Guardian & Gamma Ray who I didn't know much about before they were announced. I don't really listen to bands like them much at all, but I was very pleasantly surprised!

Like 2011, my hunch is there won't be much in the way of "extreme metal" for 2012. I could be wrong of course - we'll just have to wait and see!
    :beerhorns: :viking: :cheers:

I was also very happy with the lineup, being a thrash metal fan. However, I would like to see a couple of hair metal bands on the next cruise (I'm sure Hodgy would agree with me!)

I had never really listened to folk/viking metal much before, but I really liked Finntroll so much I saw them here in Seattle again!

I like some extreme metal and some progressive metal, but too much of anything is not good. I like extreme metal and black metal shows live, but don't care to listen to it on CD. Saw Dimmu Borgir live a few years back, loved it. Bought their CD's, didn't care for it. I'm a live show fan. You impress me live, and I'll probably pay to see you again.

My hope for 2012 is that there will be a variety of metal genres again, and that I will be exposed to more bands that I have not seen before!
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 am

tyrwoman wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage

Danceboy always makes me think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLuCERQeA9s

Great show, great song, fits together like dark chocolate and almond milk :death:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:44 am

gnoff wrote:this is me during Amon Amarth shows:

that red seat is gonna be getting some gnoff loving during the LA show very soon Image
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 am

gnoff wrote:[ must perform a god work out

Correct, or Thor will be pissed beyond belief. :beerwink:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 am

Damn! I'm late for the party!

Seriously are we still debating this subject? We are beating a dead horse. There was more thrash than anything on the boat (10 bands if I'm not mistaken). Straight Death Metal (not viking/melodic) and Black metal were under represented. So was prog metal. Whining about it won't make it better. If your taste in metal isn't diverse enough that you couldn't bring yourself to enjoy at least half the bands on last years line up, you probably shouldnt come on the cruise next year either. Unless of course this thread is just an attempt to find something to bitch about due to boredom or pent up anger, in which case I don't even wanna be a part of this discussion and you can ignore everything I just said.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 am

I just hope that the Norwegians are represented next year.
  • Locked 227 posts