Post Reply 7521 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2012 Megathread
    WizardBeast
    Captain

Re: Hailing From A Dark Valley Of The Swiss Alps: Welcome SAMAEL

by WizardBeast » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:40 pm

mooyagi wrote:Anyone have suggestions for good newer Samael tracks? Haven't really paid any attention to the band in a while. I figure they'll probably play a lot of newer stuff though hopefully they'll throw some Ceremony of Opposites songs in there too. Hell, here's a vote for a special show by them where they play all of Ceremony of Opposites :headbanger:

they'd have to play other stuff too because Ceremony of Opposites was only 35 min. long! Great album, one of my faves ever, only way too short. Last i saw them they did a few off COO and Passage, and some off Eternal. I think Above is a pretty cool record, check it out.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Anyone have suggestions for good newer Samael tracks? Haven't really paid any attention to the band in a while. I figure they'll probably play a lot of newer stuff though hopefully they'll throw some Ceremony of Opposites songs in there too. Hell, here's a vote for a special show by them where they play all of Ceremony of Opposites :headbanger:

they'd have to play other stuff too because Ceremony of Opposites was only 35 min. long! Great album, one of my faves ever, only way too short. Last i saw them they did a few off COO and Passage, and some off Eternal. I think Above is a pretty cool record, check it out.

I have them tabbed as a 40-45 minute setlist band so COO could fit nicely in there. Will give Above a shot. Any suggestions from it?

Edit: Though they could be a bigger name than I'm giving them credit for
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

I have them tabbed as a 40-45 minute setlist band so COO could fit nicely in there. Will give Above a shot. Any suggestions from it?

Edit: Though they could be a bigger name than I'm giving them credit for

I'm not one to pick off tracks from an album....unless they're really stand out, or the "only good ones" on there, and most of the time i don't even like bands where i don't like their whole albums! It's MUCH more brutal than the stuff they had before it though,. just check out whatever from it to see if you like it...i guess Black hole maybe (track 2)

If you like the more electronic stuff, Eternal is great.
    Last edited by WizardBeast on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 pm

I guess a lot of people gave up on Samael when they got electronic for awhile, but their album ABOVE is very metal and pretty brutal at times. If you like that about them, check out "Above".
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Listening to the song "Illumination" now from the Above album. I like it! :beerhorns:
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm

pablov8 wrote:Heard Samael today... tried hard, but no... just no

Try "Jupiterian Vibe " and "Baphomets Throne" couple of my favorites and more recent "Slavocracy", check the lyrics and turn it up too. The old stuff like "Ceremony of the Opposites" I still dig.
    Did Kreator do something recently? Suddenly I see people wearing their shirts. I haven't bought anything from them since "Renewal" on cassette. After that disappointment, I moved on from thrash permanently. They actually came to Jacksonville recently but I didn't bother going having got my fill from a show in Kansas years ago. Millie was my idol in 8th grade.. "Extreme Aggression" was the shit, after "Coma of Souls" it was over for me.
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Nicolas0928 wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Listening to the song "Illumination" now from the Above album. I like it! :beerhorns:

That song is good

But this one is better for me: BLACK HOLE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCL5CfHm7Ps

Just finished listening to it, probably at the same time you were suggesting that one :lol: I like that one too!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:01 pm

kjaxin wrote:

Try "Jupiterian Vibe " and "Baphomets Throne" couple of my favorites and more recent "Slavocracy", check the lyrics and turn it up too. The old stuff like "Ceremony of the Opposites" I still dig.
    Did Kreator do something recently? Suddenly I see people wearing their shirts. I haven't bought anything from them since "Renewal" on cassette. After that disappointment, I moved on from thrash permanently. They actually came to Jacksonville recently but I didn't bother going having got my fill from a show in Kansas years ago. Millie was my idol in 8th grade.. "Extreme Aggression" was the shit, after "Coma of Souls" it was over for me.

I'll try ur suggestions thanks :cheers:

About Kreator...Last album was Hordes of Chaos on 2009, I didn´t like it that much, before that Enemy of God and Violent Revolution were two great albums in my opinion, especially Enemy.
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:08 pm

pablov8 wrote:
    kjaxin wrote:

I'll try ur suggestions thanks :cheers:

About Kreator...Last album was Hordes of Chaos on 2009, I didn´t like it that much, before that Enemy of God and Violent Revolution were two great albums in my opinion, especially Enemy.

I take back that permanent remark. Skeletonwitch left quite an impression on me. Lyrics are a bit corny but why shouldn't they be. Great live act..
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Samael just released a new album "Lux Mundi", it seems like "Above" just came out. What happened to waiting a year or two between albums? Amorphis did the same thing and I am less than impressed. Well I guess it has been a little longer for Samael's new one. But far too short for Amorphis who remain one of my favorites.
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:34 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:Samael... Not bad. Their newer stuff is kinda "slick" sounding industro-black. Ceremony of Opposites is definitely my fave. I think they played one song off of it when they opened for Carcass a couple years back.
    I wonder what band from Laura's wishlist will be next?

they played 2-3 songs off Ceremony when they toured with Carcass. I love them, but i know a lot of people don't :-( MORE FOR ME! I will NOT be napping during Samael...

Hmm my memory is shit. Anyway this is a good announcement. Above was good and Lux Mundi sounds pretty good from what I've heard. I'm still waiting for that announcement that blows me away, but so far so good.
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm

They could def play all of Ceremony of Opposites for most of 1 of their 2 sets. Keep listening to them ALL! :shred:

Great stuff! I true dark and heavy metal band.

And I'm not sorry for the Power-metalheads. :lol:

(Sorry Pablov)

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 pm

KevinP wrote:
    last_candle wrote:already three bands from Switzerland - quite a surprise
    never got into Samael...but they might be worth checking out

Much to your dismay, I'm hoping it will be 4 ;)

Me too.... I hope they add SYBREED! They are my favorite band from Switzerland. the country has some great music to go along with their amazing physics experiments :cool:

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Ktulured55 wrote:Me too.... I hope they add SYBREED! They are my favorite band from Switzerland. the country has some great music to go along with their amazing physics experiments :cool:

Not even close. Check my signature :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Anyone remember this distributor? Ahead of their time to their misfortune. The sampler is where I first listened to these bands including Samael. Killing Addiction's "Omega Factor" was always on in my GFs car, bought her the tape. Wonder if she actually liked it?
    http://www.anus.com/metal/jlamerica.html
    JL America

Before falling in screaming flames, JL America brought the continent north of Mexico a series of cheap European domestic releases and several notable albums from underground bands that have not been heard from since.

Sampler Volume I
    JL America
    Production: Varying degrees of garage to professional production.

1. Deteriorate - "Devoured"

2. Morpheus Descends - "Immortal Coil"

3. Killing Addiction - "Omega Factor"

4. Nokturnel - "My Hell"

5. Organic Infest - "Carnal Waste"

6. Skeletal Earth - "Green Solution"

7. Excruciating Pain - "Liquid Flesh"

8. Disastrous Murmur - "Dinner is Served"

9. Acheron - "Thou Art Lord"

10. Beherit - "Nocturnal Evil"

11. Vicious Circle - "Fist of God"

12. Immortal - "Call of the Winter Moon"

13. Master's Hammer - "Among the Hills"

14. Blasphemy - "Elders of the Apocalypse"

15. Samael - "Worship Him"

16. Impaled Nazarene - "Apolokia"

17. Pyogenesis - "Still Burn in Fire"

18. Crucifix - "Vaporized"
    No longer in print. jl america sampler volume i copyright 1993 jl america
    Copyright © 1993 JL America
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah Osmose fucked up giving their cool shit to JL America who bastardized it beyond belief. I got to a point where I didn't want a CD in my collection to ever have the JL America logo on it. And to this day I don't think I do. I got rid of Killing Addiction's CD. I liked their demo, but the CD didn't thrill me.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:46 pm

KevinP wrote:Yeah Osmose fucked up giving their cool shit to JL America who bastardized it beyond belief. I got to a point where I didn't want a CD in my collection to ever have the JL America logo on it. And to this day I don't think I do. I got rid of Killing Addiction's CD. I liked their demo, but the CD didn't thrill me.

Recalling the time period Roadrunner and Earache seemed like the only labels with death metal (they had the top acts). Nuclear Blast and Metal Blade were still hanging on to thrash. Century Media and Relapse picked up the torch and put out all kinds of stuff and became better labels in my opinion. From a bands perspective I couldn't say which one is better. Granted JL could have been better. Relapse also kinda sucked starting out at the same time. My first exposure to Blackmetal was that sampler... Now there are so many labels and independents we are exposed to all kinds of good stuff (not just metal).
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Another band I've never seen..great addition :cheers:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 am

pablov8 wrote:

Enemy of God is by far my favorite album of theirs, and actually I quite enjoyed Hordes of Chaos
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 am

Good to know. There is enough for me to get into right now... but if Kreator is added to the cruise.... I will check out Enemy of God to get into them. :viking:

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 am

vikingbitch wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

Enemy of God is by far my favorite album of theirs, and actually I quite enjoyed Hordes of Chaos

PLEASURE TO KILLLLLLLL!!!!!! Came out before alot of you whipper-snappers were even born. Image

Come on Anika, back me up here :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 pm

KevinP wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

PLEASURE TO KILLLLLLLL!!!!!! Came out before alot of you whipper-snappers were even born. Image

Come on Anika, back me up here :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pleasure to kill and Extreme Aggression :headbanger:
    I can't believe anything was even mentioned before these two...
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    angelyuyo
    Petty Officer

by angelyuyo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Terrible certaintly was killer also! :death:
    2011DONE
    2012 DONE
    BARGE TO HELL DONE
    2013 DONE
    2014 DONE
    2015 DONE
    2016 BEST LINEUP EVER DONE
    2017 DONE
    2018DONE
    2019 Done
    2020 I need my booking code
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:58 am

Hmm, while KREATOR seems to be the obvious next one from Germany, I'm also hoping for MORGOTH. They are doing the festival circuit this year so that might bode well for their chances :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTb9HFabDrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v-jiNNhfZg
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    kouta666
    Crewman

by kouta666 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Yep....Samael = Casino time :heavydrink:
    WISHLIST: Agalloch, Be'Lakor, Destroyer 666, Into Eternity, Hypocrisy, Kalmah, Kreator, Rotting Christ

2012: Cabin 666
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:06 pm

kouta666 wrote:

Yep....Samael = Vegemite time :heavydrink:

FIXED
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Nice with an announcement while I was away :beerhorns: I am not familiar with Samael but will check them out!

From Germany I would like to see Equilibrium :cheers:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:19 pm

EQUILIBRIUM!

I just discovered this band a few weeks ago. Instant favorite :D
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:22 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:EQUILIBRIUM!

We really have the same taste in music :mrgreen:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:33 pm

MadameLePink wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:EQUILIBRIUM!

We really have the same taste in music :mrgreen:

Great minds think alike :cheers:
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:39 pm

So you're both Artillery hating broads? Doesn't make me happy 1 iota :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 pm

KevinP wrote:So you're both Artillery hating broads? Doesn't make me happy 1 iota :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Now you wait a gosh dern minute! I've never listened to Artillery. Give me like 10 minutes and I'll give you my opinion. To the YouTube!
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:56 pm

kouta666 wrote:

Yep....Samael = Casino time :heavydrink:

Power metal people :lol: :lol:

AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Yea nevermind. I'm not really a fan. Of the sampling you posted in the Artillery thread, I like the intro to Khomaniac and the rest is not my thing.

*ducks from flying salsa jar*
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:50 pm

MadameLePink wrote:Nice with an announcement while I was away :beerhorns: I am not familiar with Samael but will check them out!

From Germany I would like to see Equilibrium :cheers:

Fuck yes! :shred:
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:58 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:Yea nevermind. I'm not really a fan. Of the sampling you posted in the Artillery thread, I like the intro to Khomaniac and the rest is not my thing

Ah you one of "those people". Go dye your hair pink and move to Denmark ;) :P ;)

"Hi, my name is Rachel, I'm from Alaska and I don't like thrash" Image

(And when you agree with mooyagi and disagree with me, then you know you're in trouble)
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:17 pm

KevinP wrote:(And when you agree with mooyagi and disagree with me, then you know you're in trouble)

I'm just more appealing to the masses ;)
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:35 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KevinP wrote:(And when you agree with mooyagi and disagree with me, then you know you're in trouble)

Aka - dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. I agree :beerwink:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:38 pm

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Aka - dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. I agree :beerwink:

Just working to the crowd :mrgreen:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:45 pm

I don't get it... :P
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
Post Reply 7521 posts