Post Reply 7521 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2012 Megathread
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

Re: Time To Welcome One Of Finland's Finest!

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm

I think they were making a statement by getting a non operatic singer. She actually does have a nice sounding voice, I think, she just isn't classically trained.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Passionfruit wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    SlaytanicE21 wrote:Alestorm and Kamelot WHAT???? :evil: Okay, just give me Dark Fortress and Behemoth and I'll allow that. ;)

:cheers:

Dark Fortress and Behemoth would be awesome! Alestorm has terrible vocals and Kamelot doesn't have a vocalist, please get other bands. Lots of vocals talk today :lol:

Alestorm does has terrible vocals but it seems that UMC want to get a pirate metal band every year ... Last year it was Swashbuckle, personally i wouldnt mind if they get Running Wild bc they make awesome music and have recently released a new album that sounds very good imo

you people with issues regarding Alestorm's vocals do realize they are a silly good times band, and that singing in a bad pirate voice holds true to the concept of sea shanties... right? If he sang with some amazing voice it wouldn't be true to the music... it's a silly and fun band, just enjoy it for that... or don't... but taking it seriously is kinda like farting in a tornado... I, for one, am very amused by their silliness and enjoy their appropriate level of slopiness (given their niche)
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 pm

KDibildox wrote:I think they were making a statement by getting a non operatic singer. She actually does have a nice sounding voice, I think, she just isn't classically trained.

Which is fine. If they didn't want a singer with Tarja's style that's certainly their choice. But they had to have applicants that could do both styles.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:[
    you people with issues regarding Alestorm's vocals do realize they are a silly good times band, and that singing in a bad pirate voice holds true to the concept of sea shanties... right? If he sang with some amazing voice it wouldn't be true to the music... it's a silly and fun band, just enjoy it for that... or don't... but taking it seriously is kinda like farting in a tornado... I, for one, am very amused by their silliness and enjoy their appropriate level of slopiness (given their niche)

I realize they are a good jokey fun time band but it doesn't mean I can't critique their music. They can have all kinds of fun being piratey and I can have all kinds of fun not listening to them :beerwink:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I think they were making a statement by getting a non operatic singer. She actually does have a nice sounding voice, I think, she just isn't classically trained.

Which is fine. If they didn't want a singer with Tarja's style that's certainly their choice. But they had to have applicants that could do both styles.

I agree. I actually had high hopes for whoever the singer would be............
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:57 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:[

I realize they are a good jokey fun time band but it doesn't mean I can't critique their music. They can have all kinds of fun being piratey and I can have all kinds of fun not listening to them :beerwink:

absolutely... and feel free... but to call them out on their vocals is basically like calling out a black metal band that underproduces their music... if they did it another way it'd be wrong
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:Nightwish's best song is still 'The Islander'.

And Anette doesn't sing in that one. Sooooooooo. . .

:lol: Oh I love that song. Marco is amazing. He's added so much to the band since he became part of it. Best song is totally Wishmaster though

I prefer the Van Canto version of 'Wishmaster' =P

RIDDILY-DIDDILY-DIDDILY-DIDDILY
    RIDDILY-DIDDILY-DOM-DOM

laura wrote:I see a few have mentioned Nightwish's The Islander - it was one of the first songs I thought of when Nightwish was announced and I posted a link on the listening thread this afternoon. In case u don't know this one which I also posted there....a real beauty ...While Your Lips are Still Red...

Y'know, I saw Nightwish in 2008 in New Orleans and they played that song and I was in awe. I wasn't familiar with Nightwish at all before that show (I went because Sonata Arctica was opening). I completely forgot about it -- I agree, definitely one of their better songs.

EDIT: Alestorm will be a friggin' blast. Guaranteed. Has anyone heard their song 'Swashbuckled' yet? It's a "tribute" to Swashbuckle -- absolutely hilarious.
    Getting them both on the boat would be the best thing ever, but I don't suspect that's going to happen =P
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:you people with issues regarding Alestorm's vocals do realize they are a silly good times band, and that singing in a bad pirate voice holds true to the concept of sea shanties... right? If he sang with some amazing voice it wouldn't be true to the music... it's a silly and fun band, just enjoy it for that... or don't... but taking it seriously is kinda like farting in a tornado... I, for one, am very amused by their silliness and enjoy their appropriate level of slopiness (given their niche)

I haven't heard more than a handful of songs by them, but it seems fun enough and the vocals suite what they are doing, so I have no problem with it at all. I wouldn't want them singing in a "typical way". And I know Swashbuckle is heavier and all, but Alestorm sounds more "fun". So I'm surprised all you Fintroll/Korplikanni nuts don't like this.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:09 am

I'm not a fan of those opera vocals, since I despise Simone of EPICA with an utter stinking passion.

DrinkMoxie wrote:absolutely... and feel free... but to call them out on their vocals is basically like calling out a black metal band that underproduces their music... if they did it another way it'd be wrong

If you move south we might be attached at the hip, we seem to agree so much :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:32 am

Element0s wrote:
    KevinP wrote:Are they big enough for a headliner ? I'm kinda in the dark about their popularity these days. It does seem that 90% of the people who liked the band absolutely can't stand the new singer though.
    I suspect they would be, yes. They headlined one day in Wacken 2008, and a day at Bloodstock UK 2008.

I'd say they count as a headliner
    an expected pick - it's great to have them on board, even though I'm not the biggest fan
    'Oceanborn' is still one of the best albums of all time and Annette is doing a great job (despite all the bashing)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:57 am

Anyway now the the inevtable garbage has been announced i think it's time to treat us with a quality power metal act.(And no not Alestorm )
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:05 am

It's the Song, not the Singer. As long as Anette is singing in Tune we will like it very much .....
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - yes - 2021 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:10 am

For me, their best albums are Oceanborn and Wishmaster. I've seen them live with Tarja and Anette and I was disappointed both times. The show with Tarja was on their last tour before they kicked her out, the set was 80 minutes long and included mostly new songs. The show with Anette was at Wacken '08 and it was.... well, I thought it was total crap and so I left after they started to play one of "Tarja" songs and it sounded so different and creepy and weird when Anette opened her mouth.

I will most likely skip both shows and spend the 90 minutes drinking / sleeping.
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:24 am

Ecliptica wrote:
    laura wrote:I see a few have mentioned Nightwish's The Islander - it was one of the first songs I thought of when Nightwish was announced and I posted a link on the listening thread this afternoon. In case u don't know this one which I also posted there....a real beauty ...While Your Lips are Still Red...

Y'know, I saw Nightwish in 2008 in New Orleans and they played that song and I was in awe. I wasn't familiar with Nightwish at all before that show (I went because Sonata Arctica was opening). I completely forgot about it -- I agree, definitely one of their better songs.

:cheers:  I saw Nightwish twice in 2008 - in May in Mokena, IL and in the fall at House of Blues in Chicago. I thought Anette sounded just fine (very good) both times, plus I really like her stage presence - she is actually someone I would go out of my way to meet on the boat - I know she has a few children - maybe we could even share a few "mom" thoughts. :D :cool:
    As far as her voice - I think she has a GREAT pop-star type voice - she was formerly in a well-known Abba tribute band if I remember correctly.  Of course I love Tarja (see wishlist), but I can only assume the band purposely didn't want another Tarja. They put out Dark Passion Play with Anette and it was/is immensely popular, am I right?

Another great one from Dark Passion Play: Amaranth
    (very poppy but I like it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZn7k5r ... ata_player (holy cow - just noticed that video has had over 48 million hits!)

Perhaps my fave song by Tarja: Sleeping Sun - saw her do this last summer at Wacken - one of those songs that often brings tears to my eyes...I often get all mushy like that. :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpehI7qH ... ata_player (lots of knights in this video - I like :beerwink: )
    I wish for this night-time
    to last for a lifetime
    The darkness around me
    Shores of a solar sea
    Oh how I wish to go down with the sun
    Sleeping
    Weeping
    With you
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Oli
    Crewman

by Oli » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:36 am

Laura wrote:I wrote this on the forum fiends fb group last night....
    Am I the only personal here who actually LIKES Nightwish (with AND without Tarja)? I used to listen to Nightwish a TON, saw them 2x with Anette, saw Tarja 2x (and she did some Nightwish songs), own all their albums, own the End of an Era DVD, etc. To be honest, I got a bit burnt out on them (perhaps from overlistening), but I still think they're a great band.
    So, phoooey! A pox on all you people!!!! Lol! ;) ;) ;)

:P
    Bottom line is... You're not gonna love every band on this cruise - so what? You couldn't conceivably see every band anyway. I don't understand all the band bashing that goes on here on this forum - I really don't. I say show at least some level of respect for every band who agrees to do this thing and be so available to fans.

So fuck all the haters, the bitchers, and the moaners. ;)

P.S. To Kevin...don't MAKE me get outta this car!!!

Absolutly spot on!! :viking:
    THE FATE OF NORNS AWAITS US ALL!!!!

Immortal..WASP..Lamb of god..Cannibal Corpse..Rob Zombie..Kreator..Arch Enemy..Cavalera conspiracy..All shall perish for 70000 tons 2012
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:40 am

Just checked out The Islander and I agree, it's a nice song and the music video is beautifully done. But I expect they will play the likes of Amaranth which is closer to pop than metal in my opinion. And it somewhat worries me what kind of a crowd this band might draw. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Either way, the cruise is trying to cater to most tastes and I know there will be plenty for me to see.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Oli! :D But I do have 2 edits to that original post - retracting the F word (was feeling a bit too feisty yesterday!) and I think the old parents' saying (to kids getting unruly in the back seat of a car) is "Don't make me STOP this car." :lol:

Paul - I bet they will do The Islander - it seems to be a real crowd favorite.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • tenebre
    Crewman

by tenebre » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:52 am

They played The Islander at every show i saw last tour.. and I saw several. :-)
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 am

The Islander is one of the tracks that are better with the vocals
    over all I prefer the bonus disc with the instrumental version of the songs
    especially For The Heart I Once Had is way better without the vocals
    http://youtu.be/xKTX81n6Dlc
    (...and keep in mind: I'm one of those who actually like Annette)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:51 am

Booooooooooooo!!!

I was hoping for something metal, instead we get the "heavy" version of Journey. Disappointment! Oh well. I guess it's cool if you like Nightwish. So far it's 4 out of 13 I have no interest in seeing. Still good odds.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:27 am

Egokrusher wrote:Booooooooooooo!!!

I was hoping for something metal, instead we get the "heavy" version of Journey. Disappointment! Oh well. I guess it's cool if you like Nightwish. So far it's 4 out of 13 I have no interest in seeing. Still good odds.

Consider yourself lucky. So far there's only 3 bands I have a genuine interest in. Lots of drinking time for me :cheers:
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 am

KevinP wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:absolutely... and feel free... but to call them out on their vocals is basically like calling out a black metal band that underproduces their music... if they did it another way it'd be wrong

If you move south we might be attached at the hip, we seem to agree so much :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

I do think we'd hang and be a generally obnoxious nuisance...

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:16 am

Metalwrath wrote:Anyway now the the inevtable garbage has been announced i think it's time to treat us with a quality power metal act.(And no not Alestorm )

I can't imagine anybody in their right mind counting Alestorm as power metal...

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:24 am

Ravenlord wrote:
    Egokrusher wrote:Booooooooooooo!!!

Consider yourself lucky. So far there's only 3 bands I have a genuine interest in. Lots of drinking time for me :cheers:

it's only 3 1/2 for me... but I'm certain it'll improve... I'm still very excited

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:38 am

Laura wrote:I wrote this on the forum fiends fb group last night....
    Am I the only personal here who actually LIKES Nightwish (with AND without Tarja)? I used to listen to Nightwish a TON, saw them 2x with Anette, saw Tarja 2x (and she did some Nightwish songs), own all their albums, own the End of an Era DVD, etc. To be honest, I got a bit burnt out on them (perhaps from overlistening), but I still think they're a great band.
    So, phoooey! A pox on all you people!!!! Lol! ;) ;) ;)

:P
    Bottom line is... You're not gonna love every band on this cruise - so what? You couldn't conceivably see every band anyway. I don't understand all the band bashing that goes on here on this forum - I really don't. I say show at least some level of respect for every band who agrees to do this thing and be so available to fans.

So fuck all the haters, the bitchers, and the moaners. ;)

P.S. To Kevin...don't MAKE me get outta this car!!!

I could not have said it any better. Its like I could have written this myself hahaha
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:14 am

Ravenlord wrote:And it somewhat worries me what kind of a crowd this band might draw. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think there's enough "forumites" who like them, that it won't be a huge issue. I can see this band selling some cabins for UMC, but I'd be shocked if it sold out after this announcement.

And in a weird way I would rather "the Nightwish crowd" over something like a Megadeth or Slayer crowd. Those would generate ALOT of "meathead Americans" who think their shit doesn't stink. I suspect Nightwisht will draw Europeans and broads, so they'll be much tamer and less obnoxious. :lol:

Heck even if they announce stuff like Aletstorm (who I don't mind) and Kamelot (doesn't interest me), if the cabins sell out "sooner" rather than later, I would think that UMC can them go into "book whoever the fuck we want mode" and not worry about sales. I tend to think Andy has more of an interest in "heavy" music as opposed to power & symphonic stuff. So that could only benefit my preferences.

Just a thought :beerwink:

The bands I'm interested in so far are:

My Dying Bride
    Coroner
    Moonsorrow
    Grave Digger
    Pestilence (kinda)
    Samael (kinda)

but it still trumps last year for me based on My Dying Bride & Coroner
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:17 am

KevinP wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:And in a weird way I would rather "the Nightwish crowd" over something like a Megadeth or Slayer crowd. Those would generate ALOT of "meathead Americans" who think their shit doesn't stink. I suspect Nightwisht will draw Europeans and broads, so they'll be much tamer and less obnoxious. :lol:

Exactly. I'd much rather have the Nightwish crowd on broad who would be much better behaved than a Slayer crowd, that's for sure. Every show I go to the biggest asshole is always some sweaty dude in a Slayer shirt. Always.

Should note that I actually would like to see Slayer on broad, but please sell out all the cabins on the boat first before announcing an act like that :lol:
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 am

mooyagi wrote:Should note that I actually would like to see Slayer on broad, but please sell out all the cabins on the boat first before announcing an act like that :lol:

I like Slayer (buy all the CD's) and nothing against them. But I've seen them 5-6X so I can use a break for about 5 years or so before seeing them again. :lol:

Yeah selling out the cruise them adding some big name bands would be a better idea. I'd still prefer more underground/under the radar stuff instead though.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am

KevinP wrote:Yeah selling out the cruise them adding some big name bands would be a better idea. I'd still prefer more underground/under the radar stuff instead though.

Would love that too. I want this cruise to be a chance to see bands I otherwise wouldn't get the chance to see. Thank you Andy for Therion :D

Unfortunately, mid-range and under the radar acts don't sell expensive cabins :lol:
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:40 am

mooyagi wrote:Would love that too. I want this cruise to be a chance to see bands I otherwise wouldn't get the chance to see.

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:45 am

Passionfruit wrote:arent they taking too long to post new bands for the cruise this year? I cant wait to see what comes next!!! :|

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nope, it's business as usual. I think we got the last set of bands just a couple weeks before setting off, if even that long. That's why we had to create the Virtual Riot threads
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:46 am

Agree with Kevin on the hardcore Slayer fans and Megadeth fans.
    The Slayer fans ARE by far the worst though.
    Most of them posess the IQ of a brick.

And i hear someone saying that we should respect everry band on the cruise.
    Not a chance :lol:
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I just tried listening to Nightwish. I like to give bands a chance. I got through portions of 4 songs (FOUR!) and decided this is probably the most god-awful band I've ever heard. Am I missing something here?
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:40 pm

hodgy wrote:I just tried listening to Nightwish. I like to give bands a chance. I got through portions of 4 songs (FOUR!) and decided this is probably the most god-awful band I've ever heard. Am I missing something here?

I wouldn't say you're *missing* anything...

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:48 pm

hodgy wrote:I just tried listening to Nightwish. I like to give bands a chance. I got through portions of 4 songs (FOUR!) and decided this is probably the most god-awful band I've ever heard. Am I missing something here?

Not really. That style isn't my thing either (I'm being as PC as I can here).

Why question is, does Evil Red know you listened to 4 songs? I figured she'd smack you in the back of the head 5 seconds into the first song. Kidney punch you if it wasn't turned off by 30 seconds and then take a baseball bat to your ass before the first song ended.

My next question is, ARE YOU OKAY? Do we need to call 911 ? :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Listen to the first 4 albums and they are great.Was a huge fan of them till Tarja left them.Although the new singer in Nightwish sucks so does Tarja when she plays Nightwish songs in her solo gigs.Meh
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Metalwrath wrote:

Listen to the first 4 albums and they are great.Was a huge fan of them till Tarja left them.Although the new singer in Nightwish sucks so does Tarja when she plays Nightwish songs in her solo gigs.Meh

Does Joey DeMaio know of your Nightwish love? What about Sean Peck ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    DarkStalker
    Crewman

by DarkStalker » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I not a huge fan enjoy a song here or there. What does it really mean for me the wife likes them means I get laid more and I hope some the single guys get more action too.
    We will make everything metal...
    2012 survivor from hell
    2014 Last Run of the Magisty
  • Keuf
    Petty Officer

by Keuf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:41 am

I feel very unhappy with nightwish announcement... And think about cancelling my trip :(
    I am still waiting for true METAL bands, which not look like Therion, Nightwish, tristania pr Stratovarius ... That's enough for that kind of bands !!!
    Last edited by Keuf on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply 7521 posts