Locked 32 posts Page 1 of 1
Open Mic
    alex_canada
    Ensign

Open Mic

by alex_canada » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:47 pm

I'm assuming Andy or whoever won't get around to this until much much later, and that's fine...I just wanted to put a thread out early! I know last year's plans fell apart because it got started late, people were drunk, there was only one guitar at first, etc. If they go to the work of having open mic scheduled this year, that implies to me they want to make it successful. To do so, I think it needs to:
    -Have a minimum of drums, vocal mics, bass and two guitars available if needed.
    -Some sort of discretion on the sound guy to shoo off the current act if they're just sitting on it for 30 minutes (assuming anybody else is waiting to play).
    -Maybe a breakfast time jam as well as/instead of the super late night? Pool stage would be a bonus to catch some rays.

Here's hoping this year smooths out the process! I think it was the wrong idea to structure things on the forum so rigidly last year, so I'll just say, as before, I'm putting myself out to drum anything and can do anything in Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Nightwish, Ensiferum, etc style.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: Open Mic

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Fully agree!

Was there ever a time when they had 2 guitar amps running though?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm totally down!
    I was way too trashed last time and completely forgot about it but I swear I'll stay sober enough next time.
    I think you and I might know alot of the same songs Penguin so I'll leave it up to you to start off the list of potentials :beerwink:
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:13 pm

By next cruise my new band should have started gigging, which will mean my guitar skills will have become adequate enough to jam some rhythm in front of others. Count me in!
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:18 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Fully agree!

Was there ever a time when they had 2 guitar amps running though?

Yeah, I think when we did Enter Sandman and some Slayer, we had two guitars going.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:39 pm

I've got an idea. Pick a tuning. Agree on the tuning. Tune your fucking guitar before showing up. Just a little PSA from a veteran of a hundred jam nights.
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:43 pm

hodgy wrote:I've got an idea. Pick a tuning. Agree on the tuning. Tune your fucking guitar before showing up. Just a little PSA from a veteran of a hundred jam nights.

I nominate D standard.
    Makes songs in standard E sound heavier and not too low.

Anyone agree?

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:45 pm

BierVulf wrote:I think you and I might know alot of the same songs Penguin so I'll leave it up to you to start off the list of potentials :beerwink:

I'm gonna take a big enthusiastic pass on anything involving lists or things resembling lists this time, but thanks ;)

Just tell me where the party's at :lol:

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:55 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    BierVulf wrote:I think you and I might know alot of the same songs Penguin so I'll leave it up to you to start off the list of potentials :beerwink:

I'm gonna take a big enthusiastic pass on anything involving lists or things resembling lists this time, but thanks ;)

Just tell me where the party's at :lol:

When the time comes Im leaving it up to you

alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm planning on ignoring lists, and just brushing up on my classics. Valhalla, Raining Blood, Holy Diver, etc. Unless there's a dramatic change this year, I think more loosely organized can only be better. Less pressure to show up might make it more conducive to showing up.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:00 am

I saw the pictures from this year's open mic, but I never found out: where was it even held on the boat? I thought I would stumble across it at some stage but never did.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:02 am

Did this actually happen on te cruise this year?
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:15 am

Apparently... ?
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:52 am

Forget the name, but the third stage where Rage, Trouble, Raven etc played a show.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 am

Oh, the spectrum? I assumed that stage would be busy with other bands all day. That's pretty cool though.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:54 pm

yes, all those suggestions plus this one:

KEEP THE DRUNK CHILEANS AWAY FROM THE BLOODY STAGE! :roll:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:13 pm

I liked how they had it in the center of Deck 3/4 at the beginning, but they didn't have enough intrusments as mentioned before. This after all is a metal cruise and they should know we need at least two guitars with solid amps to rip it up.

I myself will also be ignoring lists. This is a vacation after all and it felt like I had to learn this and that and had to keep in touch with some of the cruisers to see if they knew which parts to learn and all that. I'll just be looking over classcs myself, seeing as everyone loves the classics.

HOpefully it isn't at 3 am this time around lol. I was so tired I couldn't go. Some time at noon or afternoon would be awesome. Even if it's during bands playing, it'd give some people something to do while skipping out on bands they might not wanna watch.
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Actually, having it during the day would be pretty nice. I think I'd rather watch some drunk schmucks stumble through classics and laugh at everything than see a band I already know I don't like.
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Disaster Area wrote:yes, all those suggestions plus this one:

KEEP THE DRUNK CHILEANS AWAY FROM THE BLOODY STAGE! :roll:

I loved the drunk Chileans!
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Did this actually happen on te cruise this year?

Yup, a few of us including Shoreslayer were there waiting for people. I even brought my personal guitar with me for this. Unfortunately not everyone came around as they were having extra fun at the karaoke party bash. A little disappointing.

If this is going to happen next time, I would suggest in bringing your own equipment (mainly guitars and bass) and a tuner. They didn't give us shit there and the 2nd guitarist was playing through a shitty squire strat that the sound guy provided.
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:42 pm

asmegin wrote:

Yup, a few of us including Shoreslayer were there waiting for people. I even brought my personal guitar with me for this. Unfortunately not everyone came around as they were having extra fun at the karaoke party bash. A little disappointing.

If this is going to happen next time, I would suggest in bringing your own equipment (mainly guitars and bass) and a tuner. They didn't give us shit there and the 2nd guitarist was playing through a shitty squire strat that the sound guy provided.

I'm still dying to know when/how the 2nd amp appeared. When I spoke (or tried to) with the guy he made it very clear there would be no 2nd amp and that was the end of that.

asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    asmegin wrote:

I'm still dying to know when/how the 2nd amp appeared. When I spoke (or tried to) with the guy he made it very clear there would be no 2nd amp and that was the end of that.

I dunno, I think he was just being an asshole.
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:42 pm

If you went to Spectrum in the middle of the night... which on the cruise was 4-6am... you would find the open mic night.....

Dave and I did some jamming.. well, Dave jammed with most people there..... it was ok except for when random peeps started coming up and grabbing the mics at the same time and other intruments.... was a little chaotic, but what can you expect after 14 hours of metal and plenty of drunkenness and no sleep? CHAOS.

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    corrosive
    Crewman

by corrosive » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:04 pm

...hey...i wanna be involved this year...by the cruise i should know about 20 slayer songs:) ....
    my wish list...COC(with pepper),Angelwitch,Spirit Caravan,St. Vitus,the Obsessed,Down,Havok,Metal Church, Cripper,Exodus,Diamond Plate,Dangerous Toys,Pentagram,Sacred Reich,Fatal Smile,Exciter,Sacrifice, Razor,Tankard,Evile,Bonded by Blood,Overkill
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 am

Any thoughts about doing some of this on Wed during the day? Not everyone got off the boat in Cozumel last time....
    SURVIVOR:
    70K1 | 70K2 | BTH | 70K3 | 70K4 | 70K5 | 70K6 | 70K7 | 70K8 | 70K9

WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
    sherivengeance
    Crewman

by sherivengeance » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 am

BierVulf wrote:I'm totally down!
    I was way too trashed last time and completely forgot about it but I swear I'll stay sober enough next time.
    I think you and I might know alot of the same songs Penguin so I'll leave it up to you to start off the list of potentials :beerwink:

I don't like this!!
    I don't like this "sober enough" business! That does not mesh with me! You are not metal if you can't jam drunk :P
    2013 Wishlist: Amorphis (again, again!) / Dimmu Borgir / The Amenta / Mercenary / Nile / Behemoth
    2012 70K Survivor #3547 / Baroness of the Corona
    "Hey Ladies! Ever wanted to F@#$ an Aussie?"
    "F@#$ oath CUNT!"
    -Australia Day, 1/27/2012
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 am

stoverkill wrote:Any thoughts about doing some of this on Wed during the day? Not everyone got off the boat in Cozumel last time....

Great idea. Although I think there's going to be alot of people swimming with Stingrays this time around. :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • TARSUS
    Oiler

by TARSUS » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:56 am

Excellent idea!!! To jam on the cruise. You don't have to be a virtuoso to jam!! EVERYBODY IS GOING TO BE DRUNK!!!! So lets have a good time!!!
    BULL ROCKER ALCOHOLIC LEGIONS!!!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

If anyone of you need a bassist you can give me a call :metalguy:
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 pm

gnoff wrote:
    BierVulf wrote:I swear I'll stay sober enough next time.

:lol:

Sorry man, but I saw you on the cruise a few times and I've said similar statements and know them to be hard to uphold :givebeer:

It will be hard...

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 pm

sherivengeance wrote:
    BierVulf wrote:I'm totally down!

I don't like this!!
    I don't like this "sober enough" business! That does not mesh with me! You are not metal if you can't jam drunk :P

sorry
    I'll stay drunk to the point that I'm still able to jam..
    Better?

Locked 32 posts Page 1 of 1