Locked 139 posts
A booking question for the vet's
    enigma42
    Oiler

2 questions for those who sailed in Jan

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am

1. Did anyone see one of the rooms that hold 4 people? How much space was there, was it too cramped? Not that I plan on being in the room much, but from photos I've seen online it looks like it'd be so small that I couldn't even shower/change in the room without disturbing others who might be trying to get some shut eye.

2. Usually cruises have formal nights for dinner, did they skip that for this cruise? Not that its a big deal either way, but I wouldn't mind saving myself some luggage space. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to miss out on the excellent dinners they serve in the main dining room.

Thanks!
    2012 - Cabin 3509
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: 2 questions for those who sailed in Jan

by Ravenlord » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am

1. Yes, they are very small and it's very cramped for 4 people with bags etc, but it didnt bother me since I only went there to sleep and shower.

2. You had the option to eat in the dining room and be waited on with a different menu. It is really up to yourself where you want to eat. I think you needed to be wearing shoes and a shirt (not topless) to get in there, but it was by no means formal, like shirt and tie. It was full of metalheads too! :D
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    enigma42
    Oiler

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 am

Cool, thanks... that's about what I figured, but wanted to get confirmation from someone that actually was there.

I'm pretty sure I can handle wearing a shirt/shoes to dinner :D
    2012 - Cabin 3509
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 am

1. I stayed in a 4-person. It was very cramped but al our bags fit under the beds. You have space in the bathroom to shower/change without disrupting others. There's not much sleep to be had on the boat anyway ;)

2. My cabinmates went to the "formal" dining hall dressed for a metal show without issue. They really enjoyed the experience. There was no formal "Captain's Dinner" to my knowledge.

Side note: I wonder if Allison can create an FAQ section on the forum where new cruisers can "Ask a Veteran" all their questions. That way it may be easier to find the answers (well, until we derail all the threads :twisted: ) Heck, some of the regulars can help form a list of FAQs that people ask us for easier access to answers.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    enigma42
    Oiler

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Posting a 'sticky' thread that lists answers to stuff like this would indeed be useful
    2012 - Cabin 3509
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 pm

They did have a "Power Metal Night" where you can bust out your ballerina slippers and pink tutu without fear of being thrown overbroad. Otherwise you take your life in your hands walking around the rest of the time with that getup. :beerwink:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    enigma42
    Oiler

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm

oh, THANK GOODNESS. I was worried I wouldn't get a chance to wear my new fairy costume on the cruise. :lol: Good thing for power metal night, I'll fit right in !!
    2012 - Cabin 3509
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 pm

KevinP wrote:They did have a "Power Metal Night" where you can bust out your ballerina slippers and pink tutu without fear of being thrown overbroad. Otherwise you take your life in your hands walking around the rest of the time with that getup. :beerwink:

Good God Man. The man only asked two questions and got two replies before the Master of derailment pounced.
    I missed seeing you in your pink tutu and ballerina slippers. Didn't that clash with Deb's leather hat that you were wearing?

Yes, the cabins are small but you really only NAP there and shower. Luggage will fit under the bed. Showers have HOT water.
    There is no formal dinning on the Metal cruise unless you count dressed in your favorite black T-shirt embossed with your favorite metal band and black pants formal.
    It is really a trip to see a boatload of metal heads eating and being served in the formal dinning room. Highly recommended.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:02 pm

there actually is a FAQ around - it's just named "FYI" ;)

concerning the room: one thing I'll do next year is preparing a smaller bag with all the things I need on the cruise - and put those things on the wardrobe
    like this, the big suitcase can rest under the bed for the whole cruise :cool:
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Michael D. wrote:Good God Man. The man only asked two questions and got two replies before the Master of derailment pounced. .

It was bound to come up and he might have been too shy to ask, so I threw it out there for him immediately. :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

by Jöhn&Melönius » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Definitely hit the dinning hall every night, you paid for it. The 'no shorts' rule seemed to be suspended. They seat you as you come in and put your group in the next available seats, so you end up quite often sitting with strangers for you to get to know while waiting for your food.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm

I only went to the fancy dining hall the last day, but it was pretty cool.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    enigma42
    Oiler

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Jöhn&Melönius wrote:Definitely hit the dinning hall every night, you paid for it. The 'no shorts' rule seemed to be suspended. They seat you as you come in and put your group in the next available seats, so you end up quite often sitting with strangers for you to get to know while waiting for your food.

This sounds kind of cool, normally you'd be stuck with the same people every day, strangers or not.
    2012 - Cabin 3509
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:39 am

There was a formal dinner / Captain's dinner but it was exclusive since the only place I read about it was Peavey's (Rage frontman) blog.
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 am

The only time I didn't regret being 5'7" on the cruise was in the beds and shower. The shower was perfectly my size, muahaha.

Seeing over all you Vikings however was a problem. But, hey, at least I was clean.

May get a four-person room myself this year. My girlfriend really wants to go (even though she doesn't listen to metal. . .she just wants to go on a cruise since I haven't stopped talking about it since I got back) and my cabinmate's friend from last year wants in.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Ecliptica wrote:The only time I didn't regret being 5'7" on the cruise was in the beds and shower. The shower was perfectly my size, muahaha.

Seeing over all you Vikings however was a problem. But, hey, at least I was clean.

May get a four-person room myself this year. My girlfriend really wants to go (even though she doesn't listen to metal. . .she just wants to go on a cruise since I haven't stopped talking about it since I got back) and my cabinmate's friend from last year wants in.

Since you girl friend doesn't like metal she could hang with my wife!
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Only stayed at the dining room once...but next time I'll visit it more often! :viking:
    Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Hey dude here is a view from my bed in a 4 cabin room it was fucking tiny as hell

dont expect it to be a hang out at all especilly if your roommates are random its so fucking retarded cramped
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Rab wrote:Hey dude here is a view from my bed in a 4 cabin room it was fucking tiny as hell

dont expect it to be a hang out at all especilly if your roommates are random its so fucking retarded cramped

Still bigger than any 4-man tent I've ever slept in ;)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    enigma42
    Oiler

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Ah cool, an actual photo :) - is that thing in the upper right of the photo the pull down bed then? I was sort of wondering where in the room those were.
    2012 - Cabin 3509
    soundragon13
    Oiler

by soundragon13 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Wait.... there was a formal dining room?!?! On our boat?! Huh........I'll have to check out the grub in there next year! :givebeer:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I believe there were two........ though I only saw one
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Yeah..a bunch of waiters and waitresses in formal wear serving a bunch of metalheads in bathing suits and flip-flops..with sons of liberty looping throughout the whole cruise.. :headbanger: anyone have any idea why they never changed the music from sons of liberty? I mean....I like sons and all that but jimeney christmas....change it up a bit next time... :cheers:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:38 pm

maybe some Alvin and the Chipmunks would be fitting :lol:
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm

KDibildox wrote:maybe some Alvin and the Chipmunks would be fitting :lol:

I was thinking maybe something a bit more heavy... :lol:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm

heavier than A&TCM? impossible! :shock: :lol:
    enigma42
    Oiler

by enigma42 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:38 pm

tmcasper wrote:Yeah..a bunch of waiters and waitresses in formal wear serving a bunch of metalheads in bathing suits and flip-flops..with sons of liberty looping throughout the whole cruise.. :headbanger: anyone have any idea why they never changed the music from sons of liberty? I mean....I like sons and all that but jimeney christmas....change it up a bit next time... :cheers:

Oh man...when I went on a cruise last year (not 70k), they had a guy playing acoustic guitar during dinner. He was playing classical music but would occasionally slip in an instrumental 'fade to black' and a couple other old school metal/rock songs. It was cool to try and recognize what he was playing from just the acoustic instrumental version. That guy would have been great atmosphere for this cruise I think... maybe they should get him for next year!
    2012 - Cabin 3509
    Invective
    Oiler

by Invective » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 am

soundragon13 wrote:Wait.... there was a formal dining room?!?! On our boat?! Huh........I'll have to check out the grub in there next year! :givebeer:

Haha my thoughts exactly! I had no idea!
  • DorothyGale
    Oiler

by DorothyGale » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 am

This video (in German, and not that great) shows a quad cabin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSGxw46Yrc Starts right around 2:47.
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 am

DorothyGale wrote:This video (in German, and not that great) shows a quad cabin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSGxw46Yrc Starts right around 2:47.

It's Andy's Suite .....
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - yes - 2021 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • DorothyGale
    Oiler

by DorothyGale » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Lal@ wrote:
    DorothyGale wrote:This video (in German, and not that great) shows a quad cabin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSGxw46Yrc Starts right around 2:47.

It's Andy's Suite .....

His is around 3:54, I believe, right? :beerwink:
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm

KDibildox wrote:I believe there were two........ though I only saw one

There are 2 (dining rooms).... but they only used 1 for our cruise and it was never more than half full because everyone was at the shows and doing other things and eating elsewhere. The metal cruise is completely different than a regular cruise.

I recommend eating in the formal dining room if you can squeeze it in as many nights as you can because that is where the best food on the ship is... and that goes for ANY cruise. So you get more for your money and a better value on this whole trip. Eat the good stuff! :) It's nice when they have a great steak or nice piece of fish to eat. Which they have about every night :cool:

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Ktulured55 wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I believe there were two........ though I only saw one

There are 2 (dining rooms).... but they only used 1 for our cruise and it was never more than half full because everyone was at the shows and doing other things and eating elsewhere. The metal cruise is completely different than a regular cruise.

I recommend eating in the formal dining room if you can squeeze it in as many nights as you can because that is where the best food on the ship is... and that goes for ANY cruise. So you get more for your money and a better value on this whole trip. Eat the good stuff! :) It's nice when they have a great steak or nice piece of fish to eat. Which they have about every night :cool:

I was told that both were open but I only ever found/ate at one (deck 6 I think). I think my friend told me the other one was somewhere up near the Viking Lounge (another part of the ship I never saw) and was open more often/later than the one on deck 6. I ate at the deck 6 one once and was served one of the worst steaks I ever had. My cabin mate's steak looked great but I wasn't gonna send mine back cuz, by that time, I just wanted to get back to the bands.

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:40 pm

hm.... was the other one the one with the midnight buffet? i saw pics of it, but didn't know there was one 'till after the cruise
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 pm

KDibildox wrote:hm.... was the other one the one with the midnight buffet? i saw pics of it, but didn't know there was one 'till after the cruise

Yeah, that's what I remember being told. That they had a midnight buffet.

Woohoo! Now have a mission to go on in January!

To Find the Midnight Buffet!!! Who's with me!?!?!?!?!? :headbanger: :cheers: :headbanger: :cheers: :headbanger:

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 pm

I am! I was always staaaaaaarving at night and not always in the mood for pizza
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I know they had some sort of buffet set up on the pool deck at some point. Can't remember when it was exactly because I was pretty ripped but I know I had a few corn dogs!
    Have a good time...all the time.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 am

junkhead13 wrote:I know they had some sort of buffet set up on the pool deck at some point. Can't remember when it was exactly because I was pretty ripped but I know I had a few corn dogs!

I stumbled across that at some stage. It was in the evening though and the food was going cold too quickly. Not the ideal place for it.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:47 am

I was talking about the main 2 'formal dining' rooms. There were 2. They were on decks 3 and 4. Called "The Starlight Lounge(or Dining Room)" and "The Moonlight Lounge(or Dining Room). There are other places to eat on the ship yes.. but I was answering the question about the formal dining rooms... (which again, you will find the BEST quality of food on the ship). They had the room on the 3rd floor closed the whole time because of the little demand to eat in the dining rooms. The dining room on the 4th floor never really was more than half full (the 3 times I was in there at least... all around dinner times). The fact that some of you that were on last year don't even know about these dining rooms is more proof as to why they only opened 1 of them! On a 'traditional' cruise... everyone (most probably well over 80% at least) on the ship would eat at the dining room, and both dining rooms would be full or close to around dinner time (5-10).

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:20 am

junkhead13 wrote:I know they had some sort of buffet set up on the pool deck at some point. Can't remember when it was exactly because I was pretty ripped but I know I had a few corn dogs!

I love corn dogs! How the fuck did I miss this? I was getting really sick of eating pizza all night.
    I should get around to updating my signature
Locked 139 posts