Locked 28 posts Page 1 of 1
Why are bands being announce so SLOWLY?
  • Dude Number 1
    Oiler

Why are bands being announce so SLOWLY?

by Dude Number 1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 am

The rate at which bands are getting announced is a bit ridiculous. I fear that the cruise does not have the 40 bands lined up and ready. Not long ago there was another cruise, a prog cruise I think that got canceled. Everyone was told they could still go on the cruise but no bands. Most of us need to buy air fair to get to Miami and if the Cruise cancels the bands we are NOT going to get a refund on air fair that we bought on our own. I've been on a cruise before and personally I hate cruises. I'm only going for the metal. They have left themselves 8 months to announce 24 bands. GET ON WITH IT!
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Why are bands being announce so SLOWLY?

by Max_Rockwell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 am

They're teasing us, buddy.

Who knows, maybe one day they'll announce a pretty big batch of bands.
    As long as we get awesome headliners, I'm good.
    Honestly i'm already happy with the bands we have.
    If that's all the bands we get, I'm still a happy bunny. It's a fucking cruise for metalheads.
    That's badass on its own.
  • Dude Number 1
    Oiler

by Dude Number 1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:14 am

Oh I with you on everything you just said. I very happy with the bands that have been announced. Thats not my fear. My fear is the whole thing getting called off. Only because it has happened before. Not necessarily involving the same promoters or anything. Its just happened at least once before on Earth so the slow announcements have me worried.

\m/
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:50 am

Triton Power Cruise was a much smaller endeavor...the biggest names they had on were Pagan's Mind IIRC. If the people who appear to be interested in coming actually buy tickets, there'll be no problem. And personally, they could have just the bands they have now (or maybe a few more power bands, tee hee) and have 5 play per night and I'd be happy.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • Dude Number 1
    Oiler

by Dude Number 1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:57 am

Ok cool. Lets say there is no reason to fear cancellation. Now why are they jerking is around with this ridiculous waiting! :viking:
    zummazumma
    Petty Officer

by zummazumma » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:47 pm

It seems like every two weeks /2.5 weeks they reveal another group.
    At that rate they can keep people guessing right up to when we ship out.

My fear is that bands will cancel for one reason or another, a lot can happen between now and then.
    I don't think the whole thing will be called off.

"FEAR is only what you feel" - TESTAMENT
  • kaluviva
    Petty Officer

by kaluviva » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Same here. At first I was kinda worried because of the problems they had with the credit cards and that they wouldn't answer any call or return any messages, but then when I could talk to them over the phone, they assured me everything was fine, and that they just had a small problem with the credit card transactions. So, I don't think they will cancel the whole thing.

And to the administrators: PLEASE be good with your PR people and talk to us if you have a problem, cuz not talking at all creates bad speculations u.u" Don't scare us like that!! XDDD
  • SatansWrath
    Chief Petty Officer

by SatansWrath » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Well Im truly happy to have both Amon Amarth and Finntroll there, ofc Swashbuckle is hilarious to be moshing to again, I would like to see Sabaton, Dark Tranquillity, Ensiferum, and the band I TRULY TRULY wanna see live that I´ve missed to many times on festivals cuz of drunken matter is ofc TURISAS. but aslong as Amon Amarth playes and I get a 2nd drumstick its the only thing that matters=)
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Pissed of whishlist for the cruises:
    Turisas, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Dalriada, Arch Enemy, Abinchova, Northland, Sear Bliss, Watain, Slayer, Raubtier, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Running Wild
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:03 pm

I think some of you are worrying unnecessarily, especially when comparing it to Triton Power Cruise. That was called off because of a serious health issue (heart related I believe) concerning the organizers son, so that really had nothing to do with the event itself. 70000 Tons Of Metal is completely unrelated to that, and with many more people involved, I highly doubt a similar scenario occurring.

As for the drawn out nature of announcing the bands, I'd say that's being done for several reasons. First, contracts with artists have to be negotiated, which can be a lot of red tape when involving management, labels, booking agents and so on. Then there's the fact that this is a Canadian company setting up a cruise leaving in the US and travelling to Mexico and then back again, so that's another separate batch of bureaucratic nonsense to deal with. All that shit is time consuming after all.

Also, drawing it out keeps the anticipation level at a moderate buzz to entice yet more people aboard. Eventually the band announcements will come at a faster pace (possibly multiple names at once), otherwise it would take another 11 months to do so, and that's damn sure not gonna happen.

Maybe once we reach number 20 (the halfway mark), this will begin to occur. Just be patient kids, cause it's lookin' good so far :viking:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 am

I enjoy the suspense and checking for updates every day. Good thing I have no life :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:I enjoy the suspense and checking for updates every day. Good thing I have no life :headbanger:

Hehe. Same here. But I can tell you my productivity at work is suffering because I keep coming back to check this blasted board throughout the day!
    Have a good time...all the time.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:47 am

I think the reason they are making the announcments so slow is due to sales.
    Despite how much the cruise is going to cost us each per cabin it is actually quite cheap consider what we are getting.I don't think that overall there is going to be much of a profit at all made from this event especially when you think about all the expenses involved and how many European bands have and may be added to the lineup.
    They probably have booked the majority of the bands but the sales will determine which ones they can actually book.I'd say it's the reason they are holding on the headliners.
    On top of that you'll have working visa issues that need to be sorted in advance for the european bands playing.
    Basically there's a lot of complications.I don't think this will end up being cancelled but i suspect that they are already having to change around bands they've booked based on their budget from current sales.You gotta remember that some bands need to be paid well in advance to play while others just choose to receive payment after the show.
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm

SatansWrath wrote:Well Im truly happy to have both Amon Amarth and Finntroll there, ofc Swashbuckle is hilarious to be moshing to again, I would like to see Sabaton, Dark Tranquillity, Ensiferum, and the band I TRULY TRULY wanna see live that I´ve missed to many times on festivals cuz of drunken matter is ofc TURISAS. but aslong as Amon Amarth playes and I get a 2nd drumstick its the only thing that matters=)

Ah TURISAS... perhaps the greatest live show I've ever been to.
    SneedMetal
    Wiper

by SneedMetal » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Bolt Thrower would be...
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Sat May 01, 2010 12:37 am

It's like Exhorder Guy Part 2: Bolt Thrower Guy!
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat May 01, 2010 1:59 am

Oh cool... Can I be Corrosion Of Conformity Guy?

Just don't call me C.O.C. Guy cuz ppl unaware of the band might get the wrong idea :roll:

grimmy82
    Petty Officer

by grimmy82 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Oh cool... Can I be Corrosion Of Conformity Guy?

Just don't call me C.O.C. Guy cuz ppl unaware of the band might get the wrong idea :roll:

HAHAHHAA :lol:
    Manowar wrote:Come here! REMOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUR GARMENTS!

DragonLordJones wrote:judge no 2

oh by the way I'm partially blind so I hope they come in braille :cheers: :lol:
  • kaluviva
    Petty Officer

by kaluviva » Tue May 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I think the reason they are making the announcments so slow is due to sales.
    Despite how much the cruise is going to cost us each per cabin it is actually quite cheap consider what we are getting.I don't think that overall there is going to be much of a profit at all made from this event especially when you think about all the expenses involved and how many European bands have and may be added to the lineup.
    They probably have booked the majority of the bands but the sales will determine which ones they can actually book.I'd say it's the reason they are holding on the headliners.
    On top of that you'll have working visa issues that need to be sorted in advance for the european bands playing.
    Basically there's a lot of complications.I don't think this will end up being cancelled but i suspect that they are already having to change around bands they've booked based on their budget from current sales.You gotta remember that some bands need to be paid well in advance to play while others just choose to receive payment after the show.

I think they will have a profit, but not in the sale of cabins. Probably in merchandise aboard, the DVD's, etc. For now, their profit may not be much (as Metalwrath say, considering what we are getting it's actually a really good deal FOR US), but on the boat, all goes to the company, not to the bands.

It's going good =) I like the tension, anyways ;)
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Well i'm sure the bands will be selling their merchandise onboard but yeah i think it's like 15 -20% of that revenue now goes to the promoter/venue these days.(Somethign i've never agreed with by the way.It's one of the reasons bands are finding it hard to just break even these days on tour as it used to be the main way they make a living as a band)
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu May 06, 2010 3:46 pm

I was planning on picking up a bunch of CD's while on the cruise, since I always assumed (whether I'm right or wrong I don't know) that the band gets more of a financial benefit from when they sell their merch at shows.

Also, I assume we are going to see the typical "inflated" cruise prices on anything being sold ???
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Well i'm sure the bands will be selling their merchandise onboard but yeah i think it's like 15 -20% of that revenue now goes to the promoter/venue these days.(Somethign i've never agreed with by the way.It's one of the reasons bands are finding it hard to just break even these days on tour as it used to be the main way they make a living as a band)

On one of the parts of the main website... the deckplans part I was checking out different decks and it definately says that some of the stores on one of the decks (can't remember which one) will be selling all the merch.
    Blacktophat
    Crewman

by Blacktophat » Thu May 06, 2010 5:15 pm

I kind of like the fact that they are taking forever to release bands. Its like Christmas, do you want all your presents unwrapped under the tree. Or would you like to open them one by one. :trashdrink:
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 am

I'm not sure if this is classified information here but I was told by a band that has been trying to get booked for the cruise that the cruise already has the 40 bands (or very close to it). I -think- Metalwrath is probably right as to why they're releasing band names so slowly, either that or they're just trying to build hype, it IS still 7 months away.

The amount we're paying for this cruise is actually really good considering they have to pay 40 bands and staying on a ship from Royal Caribbean is apparently like staying at a 5 star hotel. Definitely worth the money :)
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:43 pm

KevinP wrote:I was planning on picking up a bunch of CD's while on the cruise, since I always assumed (whether I'm right or wrong I don't know) that the band gets more of a financial benefit from when they sell their merch at shows.

Also, I assume we are going to see the typical "inflated" cruise prices on anything being sold ???

That is still the case but most Venues/festivals they play at these days they get gotta pay a certain fee of it out.
    Things have changed alot over the last 20 years with bands.Hence why you see a lot of bands having to slipt up for regular jobs.In some cases it even actually costs the bands money to go on tour.As in they come out with a loss....
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Things have changed alot over the last 20 years with bands.Hence why you see a lot of bands having to slipt up for regular jobs.In some cases it even actually costs the bands money to go on tour.As in they come out with a loss....

I know MW won't watch it as we all know his feelings about metal documentaries but there's one out I watched a couple weeks ago that really shines a light on this very thing. It's called Working Class Rock Star ... LINK

• Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 am

I for one don't think I'll be spending a lot of time watching bands if I can find band members from other bands on the cruise to chill with while they're not up.
    I mean, this is more of a backstage "hang out" with your favourite band type of deal for me. I will be watching a few selected bands that I love, but I think because it's only 4 days, i'll be roaming around just chilling and having adventures.

I wish it was more than 4 days with still the same amount of bands. Would give people like me a lot more time to relax, walk around, look around, and still watch a lot of the bands that are going to be performing. Everything seems so smooshed together, but oh well... can't complain.
    dstrbd1
    Crewman

by dstrbd1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Well we all hope that they will get the 40 bands that they announced. But I think it would be completely kick-ass to have a surprise band that they fly in on a helicopter or bring in on a boat. Just a matter of who would that be? :evil:
    Trust no one
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:42 pm

dstrbd1 wrote:Well we all hope that they will get the 40 bands that they announced. But I think it would be completely kick-ass to have a surprise band that they fly in on a helicopter or bring in on a boat. Just a matter of who would that be? :evil:

WOW!! That would be fkn AWESOME!! :headbanger: :viking:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
Locked 28 posts Page 1 of 1