Post Reply 596 posts
barge to hell!
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: barge to hell!

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 am

AlaskaRachel wrote:I don't understand what all the fuss is about. As if bands can't or won't play both cruises if asked to, and plenty probably will be. And the last thing I want to hear is "Oh no I can't take time off for that/can't afford another plane ticket/have to trade my 70k ticket for this! How stupid of UMC to make my life difficult." Like they're going to book cruises based on your schedule. I can't go to ANY of the European summer festivals, but you don't hear me bitching every single time they announce a new one. ALSO there are probably plenty of people who can't go on 70K because of scheduling, and they'll go on this one. Or maybe this one is cheaper, shorter, attracts a different crowd, whatever. Who cares. Its just another festival on a boat in Miami. As long as UMC can handle the workload required to run 2 cruises (which I assume they think they can), then what's the big deal.

In short,
    QUIT YOUR BITCHING

i am still BITCHING about this.
    many people have (pre)booked immediately when they could because of the unique-ness and great time they had with friends.
    now there a second cruise announced which means this is turning up-side-down.
    quite a few people have already paid the full amount for the cruise and booked their plaintickets.
    if the line-up is very different from 70K and indeed heavier as they tell, i can understand some people would rather be on the barge then on the 70K cruise and now have a very BIG problem re-arranging their whole trip, if even possible.
    the argument that some bands will play on both cruises is not that very lickely as you want to attract two different kinds of people.

as i said before, i really don't hope that 70K get's "softer bands" (unless this means there is going to be more folk :-)

this should have been announced at least at the same time so people could make a choice!
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:31 am

Dutchguy-Tim wrote:i am still BITCHING about this.

Any person living in Holland has NO RIGHT TO BITCH ABOUT ANYTHING. You have easy access to fresh stroopwafels. Nothing else mattters :heavydrink:

WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 am

Hi

I m new in the forum, i live in France

I m registered for the bargetohell
    BlackRoseImmortal
    Oiler

by BlackRoseImmortal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 am

lampropelma wrote:Hi

Who would you like to see play on the Barge?
    Aussie Aussie Aussie, OI OI OI!!
  • Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 am

Someone on Facebook wrote a mail to UMC, this is the reply wether you can transfer your ticket

We look forward to having you on board!

Ultimate Music Cruises Inc. will be putting on the 70000TONS OF METAL cruise and the Barge from Hell cruise. 70000TONS OF METAL is a variety of Metal bands and the Barge from Hell will be ...more extreme genres of Metal such as Death and Black.

Unfortunately, tickets to each cruise are non transferable.

For more information regarding the Barge to Hell please keep your eye on the website www.bargetohell.com

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time!

Cheers,

Your 70000TONS OF METAL
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    BlackRoseImmortal
    Oiler

by BlackRoseImmortal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 am

Digimortal wrote:Someone on Facebook wrote a mail to UMC, this is the reply wether you can transfer your ticket

We look forward to having you on board!

Ultimate Music Cruises Inc. will be putting on the 70000TONS OF METAL cruise and the Barge from Hell cruise. 70000TONS OF METAL is a variety of Metal bands and the Barge from Hell will be ...more extreme genres of Metal such as Death and Black.

Unfortunately, tickets to each cruise are non transferable.

For more information regarding the Barge to Hell please keep your eye on the website http://www.bargetohell.com

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time!

Cheers,

Your 70000TONS OF METAL

Thanks for that. I guess alot of people will be unhappy about this, I am not interested in transferring my ticket at all. I just want another announcement :P
    Aussie Aussie Aussie, OI OI OI!!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:02 am

You can cancel 70K and just book that cruise, so not a huge deal. I understand UMC's point though, it could/would be a logistical nightmare.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 am

That's probably gonna open up a shitstorm for some people if the lineup for the Barge ends up much more to their liking than the lineup for 70K. Could it be, perhaps because of the speculation that the Barge is a shorter trip? If that happens to be the case than the Barge would presumably be cheaper and it would cause transfer problems for UMC to refund the price difference.

All these wild theories will come out if we don't get any information soon.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:16 am

Where are the rumors of the barge being a shorter cruise coming from? ........ I read that it's 40 bands and 2000 metalheads.
    Is blabbermouth lying?
    Would the bands only be doing 1 show each?
    I guess we'll find out SOON ........... What happened to more info being available on August 8th? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 am

Just because it's going to Nassau... which is only like 250km from Miami, versus how much farther Grand Cayman is.

I never saw any information anywhere saying it was a 2000 person, 40 band thing. I think that was made up by the idiots at Blabbermouth.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 am

DragonLordJones wrote:Where are the rumors of the barge being a shorter cruise coming from? ........ I read that it's 40 bands and 2000 metalheads.
    Is blabbermouth lying?
    Would the bands only be doing 1 show each?
    I guess we'll find out SOON ........... What happened to more info being available on August 8th? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Miami to Bahamas is s short trip, so we're speculating that it will be shorter. And if shorter than maybe the bands play 1X each. Our minds wander until we get more information. :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 am

Also, I think if the choice is x amount of bands playing twice vs 2x bands playing once, they'll go the x route so as to not have to deal with expensive visas, alotting more rooms for bands, etc etc. It just makes sense on a financial standpoint.

Please check out my band

• lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 am

BlackRoseImmortal wrote:

loublast because i'm a friend of Stéphane Buriez
    Augury because i'm a friend of Patrick Loisel

Cradle of Filth
    Arch Enemy
    The Crown
    Naglfar
    Cannibal Corpse
    Merrimack
    deathspell Omega
    Shining
    Hypocrisy
    Children of Bodom
    Slayer
    Heathen
    Forbidden
    Exodus
    Criminal (Chile)
    Mercenary
    and of course King Diamond (but it should be very difficult)
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

LOUDBLAST would be great. I love Sublime Dementia & Disincarnate, both are very underated.

Tell Stephane to accept my damn friend request on Facebook. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 am

Jaimie38 wrote:Man, you "extreme,brootal,death" metal fans are the biggest whiners!! Like bandwagon sports fan jumping from one allegience to the next.

I'm not going engage in pissing matches back and forth re: announcemnts,and the other cruise---already people are looking to bail for the barge thing.

I'll just sit back, have a few pints, and watch the fallout.

:cheers:

+1 - squeeky wheels get the grease.... and now they don't like it... ugh
    13 time survivor
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Is it bad that I want the Barge lineup to suck so the forum family doesn't break up and I don't have to worry about finding funding/vacation time for two cruises? :mrgreen:
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:14 pm

mooyagi wrote:Is it bad that I want the Barge lineup to suck so the forum family doesn't break up and I don't have to worry about finding funding/vacation time for two cruises? :mrgreen:

It will suck. Don't worry.
  • Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 pm

lampropelma wrote:
    BlackRoseImmortal wrote:

loublast because i'm a friend of Stéphane Buriez
    Augury because i'm a friend of Patrick Loisel

Cradle of Filth
    Arch Enemy
    The Crown
    Naglfar
    Cannibal Corpse
    Merrimack
    deathspell Omega
    Shining
    Hypocrisy
    Children of Bodom
    Slayer
    Heathen
    Forbidden
    Exodus
    Criminal (Chile)
    Mercenary
    and of course King Diamond (but it should be very difficult)

I'd like some of these bands to be on 70k actually
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Tobbe wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Is it bad that I want the Barge lineup to suck so the forum family doesn't break up and I don't have to worry about finding funding/vacation time for two cruises? :mrgreen:

Excellent! See you all on 70K then! :headbanger:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Tobbe wrote:

Hey look a Swedish Power Weenie :shock: :shock: :shock:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Is ANYONE else not really seeing BtH and 70K 2012 as conflicting after some consideration? I'm not one of the people who can just go on any trip I feel like, and big trips on the scale of 70K once a year are out of the question unless my financial situation starts looking up significantly . Even I am not freaking out over this Barge to Hell thing, though, and as a fan of the more "extreme metal" -- never would have used the term myself, but we'll go with it -- I'm willing to bet this adventure is really attractive to me, too.

By my way of thinking if you absolutely can't imagine life without a metal cruise but can do only one out of BtH, 70K 2012, and 70K 2013 it would make the most sense to simply cancel this years cruise and then wait to see what's in store for this BtH thing. If BtH doesn't strike your fancy after all then use your money to book 70K 2013, as hopefully they'll make it possible to compare and contrast and make an educated decision between those two. (If not I'll join the crying and whining and be the loudest of the bunch but 'til then I just don't see the point.)

If you CAN do a big trip a year, then it's easy: To use a KevinP-ism, "QYB" (quit your bitchin') and enjoy yourself and whatever comes for 70K this year, and then decide which one you want to do come the end of 2012/beginning of 2013. Am I totally off here?

Of course I want announcements as bad as the next guy and to feel secure that 70K will not be compromised by BtH, and I'm definitely on broad with the sentiment that UMC might have jumped the gun with BtH, but I'm not letting it get to me.

End rant. :trashdrink:
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:37 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Is ANYONE else not really seeing BtH and 70K 2012 as conflicting after some consideration? I'm not one of the people who can just go on any trip I feel like, and big trips on the scale of 70K once a year are out of the question unless my financial situation starts looking up significantly . Even I am not freaking out over this Barge to Hell thing, though, and as a fan of the more "extreme metal" -- never would have used the term myself, but we'll go with it -- I'm willing to bet this adventure is really attractive to me, too.

By my way of thinking if you absolutely can't imagine life without a metal cruise but can do only one out of BtH, 70K 2012, and 70K 2013 it would make the most sense to simply cancel this years cruise and then wait to see what's in store for this BtH thing. If BtH doesn't strike your fancy after all then use your money to book 70K 2013, as hopefully they'll make it possible to compare and contrast and make an educated decision between those two. (If not I'll join the crying and whining and be the loudest of the bunch but 'til then I just don't see the point.)

If you CAN do a big trip a year, then it's easy: To use a KevinP-ism, "QYB" (quit your bitchin') and enjoy yourself and whatever comes for 70K this year, and then decide which one you want to do come the end of 2012/beginning of 2013. Am I totally off here?

Of course I want announcements as bad as the next guy and to feel secure that 70K will not be compromised by BtH, and I'm definitely on broad with the sentiment that UMC might have jumped the gun with BtH, but I'm not letting it get to me.

End rant. :trashdrink:

:beerwink: Well said.
  • Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:39 pm

In case Monstrosity, Trauma, Bloodbath, Exmortem, Vidres a la Sang, Impious and Old Man's Child are playing there, I'll be there too. If not, then probably not :P
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm

I concur with the birthday girl.
    Some sort of details on this new cruise are needed SOON.
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:

You're obviously not coming at this from a grammar point of view. Holy run-on sentence! :lol:
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:47 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:

You're obviously not coming at this from a grammar point of view. Holy run-on sentence! :lol:

I think you have like...8 sentences in that wall of text? :lol:
    And yes, I'm all about the content.
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Tobbe wrote:

Hey look a Swedish Power Weenie :shock: :shock: :shock:

So if you think BTH will suck, you dig Power metal? Good conclusion there.

They will probably have a couple of good thrash bands and a pair of ok death metal bands. The guys with birdshit in their faces will suck as always though.

I just believe if they're booking extreme metal bands only, they won't have a single chance in the world to get a great lineup. Some great, but mostly crap.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Tobbe wrote:The guys with birdshit in their faces

I've never heard that term before!!
    :beerhorns:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please check out my band

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

viathyn wrote:
    Tobbe wrote:The guys with birdshit in their faces

I've never heard that term before!!
    :beerhorns:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is so much better than "panda metal" :lol: :beerhorns:

I somehow totally blanked on comparing BtH to 70K 2013. Seems like it would be more fitting to compare them instead of BtH and 70K 2012. That could be what UMC is assuming as well. Maybe the payment plans and promotion for those two cruises would fall more in line with each other than 70K 2012 and BtH.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:36 pm

I secretly hope this, too
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:38 pm

KDibildox wrote:

I secretly hope this, too

Fixed :D
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Not so secretly now :lol: :lol: :lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Tobbe wrote:So if you think BTH will suck, you dig Power metal?

Of course, 110%

Tobbe wrote:I just believe if they're booking extreme metal bands only, they won't have a single chance in the world to get a great lineup. Some great, but mostly crap.

Total poppycock. Where you would draw a conclusion like that from I have no idea. Granted, whatever the lineup is at this point you will call it crap to defend your position. But you must not be an extreme music fan if you feel they can't have an awesome lineup consisting of only those bands.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Satch
    Oiler

by Satch » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm sure both cruises will be going on for many years to come. If you can't go to both this year I don't see what the big deal is... it would be fun, but go next year if you really want to go to 70k and can't afford BtH. If you can afford both, then great, and if you cannot and really want to switch, then cancel 70k and book BtH when it goes on sale. I'm not sure what the big deal is... I'm sure they're a growing company and planning to put on cruises for a while. :headbanger:
    Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

i like the name and design better. but think it would be dumb to set up its own site, forum, etc.....
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:43 am

KevinP wrote:
    Tobbe wrote:So if you think BTH will suck, you dig Power metal?

Of course, 110%

Tobbe wrote:I just believe if they're booking extreme metal bands only, they won't have a single chance in the world to get a great lineup. Some great, but mostly crap.

Total poppycock. Where you would draw a conclusion like that from I have no idea. Granted, whatever the lineup is at this point you will call it crap to defend your position. But you must not be an extreme music fan if you feel they can't have an awesome lineup consisting of only those bands.

I don't feel that I have some kind of position to defend, so if I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it.

About extreme (thrash is not extreme to me) music: I dig some of it, as long as it's good. Black Metal bands, only a few though. I'm into all metal, as long as it's good metal. That's why 70000 Tons is perfect for me. The diversity.

Your opinion on the other hand feels like as long as it's extreme it is good?
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:11 am

Have to agree with Tobbe there. Most likely there will be just as much good bands on 70k as will be on BtH. Although it would be a safe guess that I'd find more tech death on BtH.

I don't get why they put thrash in there with death and black either, as it is nowhere near extreme.

I'm hoping that UMC will announce some extreme metal bands for 70k 2012 at the time they finally give us the details on BtH, just to convince us that 70k isn't going softer. That or they announce Celine Dion for 70k. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 am

Tobbe wrote:I don't feel that I have some kind of position to defend, so if I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it.

About extreme (thrash is not extreme to me) music: I dig some of it, as long as it's good. Black Metal bands, only a few though. I'm into all metal, as long as it's good metal. That's why 70000 Tons is perfect for me. The diversity.

Your opinion on the other hand feels like as long as it's extreme it is good?

Extreme doesn't automatically equate to being good. Every genre has it's fair share of crap/garbage/who gives a shit bands. But you said there is no way it would be a great lineup and MOSTLY CRAP. That is the furthest thing from the truth. And it implies there are not enough quality bands in the thrash/death/black genre for it to be a good lineup. :lol: (or you think UMC has no clue how to book those type of bands)

The only rationale I can think is you don't care for that type of music, so you don't know enough of those bands :?

Bolt Thrower, Behemoth, Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Hail of Bullets, Triptykon, Aeon, Grave, Hollenthon, Bloodbath, Morgoth, Artillery, Kreator, Overkill, Dismember, Atheist, Immolation, At the Gates, Opeth, Napalm Death.

That's 20 bands off the top of my head and I didn't even bother to go into any black metal bands. I'm sure we can find 10 other people here to post 20 bands they would like to see as well.

I think a power/folk cruise would be completely laughable. But that doesn't mean the lineup would be bad for "PEOPLE WHO LIKE POWER METAL". I don't like power metal (generally speaking) so of course the lineup would be horrible for my tastes. So my opinion on the quality of the lineup within the scope of the power metal fanbase holds no water.

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:

P.S. - Menmoch, go choke on some salmiakki. :P :P :P
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:29 am

Thrash is like the middle ground between the 2 different types of fanbases. If you are into death metal, you are generally into thrash as well. So I understand and welcome the inclusion.

Regulating the cruise to ONLY death/black would be too limited in scope.

P.S. - Menmoch, did you choke yet ?

WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer

by TheBigJankowski » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 am

KevinP wrote:
    I think a power/folk cruise would be completely laughable. But that doesn't mean the lineup would be bad for "PEOPLE WHO LIKE POWER METAL". I don't like power metal (generally speaking) so of course the lineup would be horrible for my tastes. So my opinion on the quality of the lineup within the scope of the power metal fanbase holds no water.

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:

P.S. - Menmoch, go choke on some salmiakki. :P :P :P

Folk Metal fan does not equal Power Metal fan.

Jerk.

:D
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
  • Post Reply 596 posts