Locked 207 posts
Metal Cruise Of Heaviness Post Apocalyptic Party!
  • What day should the POST Party take place?

Friday January 27th
    76%
    Saturday January 28th
    24%

Total votes: 62
    WizardBeast
    Captain

Re: Metal Cruise Of Heaviness POST Apocalyptic Party? A poll

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:37 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    Jaimie38 wrote:Damn your Draconian Alcohol Laws!! The US would be i way better shape if your drinking age was 18 or 19--like us :cool:

I'd like to see it lowered to 16, but in conjunction with a raise in the driving age to 18.

not a bad idea, Lieutenant Dan!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:29 pm

That does seem reasonable (now that I'm way over 18 :lol: )
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 am

Thank ya, ladies. :D

I was going to start discussing all the reasons it makes sense, and then realized nobody's interested. :mrgreen:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 am

EvilDan wrote:Thank ya, ladies. :D

I was going to start discussing all the reasons it makes sense, and then realized nobody's interested. :mrgreen:

More legal bier time. Fewer teen drivers. Think that seals your argument right there. :lol: Though a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds at bars would be pretty obnoxious.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am

mooyagi wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Thank ya, ladies. :D

More legal bier time. Fewer teen drivers. Think that seals your argument right there. :lol: Though a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds at bars would be pretty obnoxious.

Oh man... didn't even think about having to check IDs for underage girls. There would definitely be a market for bars to limit u20.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:06 pm

set all age limits at 18. driving, voting, cigarettes, drinking. problem solved.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:05 am

WizardBeast wrote:set all age limits at 18. driving, voting, cigarettes, drinking. problem solved.

We pretty much have that. Only you have to be 20 to buy booze at the alcohol stores, but a 18-year-old can buy booze at bars. There are lots of bars that have age limit of 20 (or some even 25) on weekends, which is a good thing.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • nidas_mate
    Wiper

by nidas_mate » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 am

count me in!! anytime is ok for me.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:11 am

WizardBeast wrote:set all age limits at 18. driving, voting, cigarettes, drinking. problem solved.

I like it!

Anyone know why the US upped its drinking age to 21 and why 21 was chosen? Seems like such an arbitrary number.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:20 am

One of the major reasons for my proposal is to not have kids learning to drive and learning to drink at the same time. Let them figure out how to drink. Then, see if they can handle the responsibility of driving. Kids are going to drink while underage. No stopping it. Just don't have them trying to learn to drive at the same time.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:28 am

EvilDan wrote:

One of the major reasons for my proposal is to not have kids learning to drive and learning to drink at the same time. Let them figure out how to drink. Then, see if they can handle the responsibility of driving. Kids are going to drink while underage. No stopping it. Just don't have them trying to learn to drive at the same time.

That's a very valid concern but most 16 year olds I know are already drinking. What about a learner's permit at 16? Driving with some restrictions (distance, adults in the car, time, etc.). Give them two years of limited driving before the training wheels come off.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:18 am

mooyagi wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:

That's a very valid concern but most 16 year olds I know are already drinking. What about a learner's permit at 16? Driving with some restrictions (distance, adults in the car, time, etc.). Give them two years of limited driving before the training wheels come off.

That was my whole point. Kids are going to drink at 16 and younger. Don't let them drive until 18. But then there's so much more that goes into it.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:29 am

EvilDan wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:One of the major reasons for my proposal is to not have kids learning to drive and learning to drink at the same time. Let them figure out how to drink. Then, see if they can handle the responsibility of driving. Kids are going to drink while underage. No stopping it. Just don't have them trying to learn to drive at the same time.

That was my whole point. Kids are going to drink at 16 and younger. Don't let them drive until 18. But then there's so much more that goes into it.

:oops: How'd I misread that one? My mistake
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:43 pm

mooyagi wrote:

I like it!

Anyone know why the US upped its drinking age to 21 and why 21 was chosen? Seems like such an arbitrary number.

yeah, 21 is a ridiculous #. and pretty much everyone has had a drink or 1,000 already by then....the gov't is fooling itself (as it always is).
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Memnoch wrote:

We pretty much have that. Only you have to be 20 to buy booze at the alcohol stores, but a 18-year-old can buy booze at bars. There are lots of bars that have age limit of 20 (or some even 25) on weekends, which is a good thing.

No, it sucks big time. When I was studying in Finland (I turned 21 that year), we often went out with a whole group of students. There were lots of bars where only half of us could get in. An age limit of 25 is just ridiculous, I can't think of any reason why a 20 year-old should not be able to visit a place that a 25 year-old can.
    Reminds me of a girl sitting outside a venue crying. She had been following a band (think it was Apocalyptica) around Europe and this time she couldn't get in.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Mexico has a drinking age of 18. Not that that matters :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:46 pm

KDibildox wrote:Mexico has a drinking age of 18. Not that that matters :lol:

Mexico also has a lot of Weridos and Weridas!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:49 pm

WizardBeast wrote:

Most of the population! :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Most of the population! :lol:

:cheers:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:04 pm

mooyagi wrote:What about a learner's permit at 16? Driving with some restrictions (distance, adults in the car, time, etc.). Give them two years of limited driving before the training wheels come off.

We have that here and I think it's a great idea! :headbanger:

We also have a drinking age of 19 even though Alberta, our neighbour province, has a drinking age of 18 :?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:06 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:What about a learner's permit at 16? Driving with some restrictions (distance, adults in the car, time, etc.). Give them two years of limited driving before the training wheels come off.

We have that here and I think it's a great idea! :headbanger:

We also have a drinking age of 19 even though Alberta, our neighbour province, has a drinking age of 18 :?

Why am I not surprised? :lol:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Tuup wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:

No, it sucks big time. When I was studying in Finland (I turned 21 that year), we often went out with a whole group of students. There were lots of bars where only half of us could get in. An age limit of 25 is just ridiculous, I can't think of any reason why a 20 year-old should not be able to visit a place that a 25 year-old can.
    Reminds me of a girl sitting outside a venue crying. She had been following a band (think it was Apocalyptica) around Europe and this time she couldn't get in.

Well, yes, it sucks if gigs are in such venues. But I like to avoid the bars that are crowded with 18-year-olds on weekends and try and find something better. Ha, usually that means just going and passing out at Club PRKL. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Memnoch wrote:
    Tuup wrote:No, it sucks big time. When I was studying in Finland (I turned 21 that year), we often went out with a whole group of students. There were lots of bars where only half of us could get in. An age limit of 25 is just ridiculous, I can't think of any reason why a 20 year-old should not be able to visit a place that a 25 year-old can.

Well, yes, it sucks if gigs are in such venues. But I like to avoid the bars that are crowded with 18-year-olds on weekends and try and find something better. Ha, usually that means just going and passing out at Club PRKL. :lol:

I love going to shows that are 21+ here in the states as opposed to all ages clubs.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:31 pm

mooyagi wrote:I love going to shows that are 21+ here in the states as opposed to all ages clubs.

Well, because our government wants to keep us safe, most venues herd us adults to a designated drinking area where there are no minors. Of course, you can't go see the band with your beer but rather try and watch the gig from afar.
    But the good thing is, most venues allow minors to attend their gigs, which is good.
    Wishlist:
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 am

Memnoch wrote:Well, yes, it sucks if gigs are in such venues. But I like to avoid the bars that are crowded with 18-year-olds on weekends and try and find something better. Ha, usually that means just going and passing out at Club PRKL. :lol:

In countries where the age limit is lower you'll find that each bar has its own crowd anyway, regardless of the age limit. I often go out in a town where the age limits are the same in every bar and you'll find the 15/16 year-olds in one bar and the 30+ crowd in the other.

By the way, my (then) girlfriend visited me with her dad and 15 year-old brother when I was living in Helsinki. It was nearly impossible to find a bar to have a drink together at 8 PM already, which I found quite ridiculous considering the fact that his dad was accompanying him. Fortunately I knew the barman of The Base and he let him stay until 10, otherwise I would have had to fit them all into my small student apartment every evening.
    I'm sticking to my opinion: ridiculous age limits are ridiculous :P
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:08 am

Tuup wrote:I'm sticking to my opinion: ridiculous age limits are ridiculous :P

Yeah, the restrictions in Finland are ridiculous. You aren't allowed to have wine or beer with your dinner if there are underage people at your table. Obviously restaurants often ignore this, because it is, like you said, ridiculous.
    And don't get me started on the fact that only the state-owned alcohol stores are allowed to sell alcohol exceeding 4.7%. :bitch:
    Wishlist:
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:17 am

Hehe yeah, needing to go to the Alko for a normal 5% beer :lol:

Fortunately I had some visitors and traveled back home once, so we never had any lack of supply of spirits :D
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:21 am

Drinking age doesn't matter here :lol: :cool:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:35 am

Tuup wrote:Hehe yeah, needing to go to the Alko for a normal 5% beer :lol:

Fortunately I had some visitors and traveled back home once, so we never had any lack of supply of spirits :D

It's a good thing Tallinn is only a short ferry ride away. :3drunks:
    Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:13 am

Memnoch wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I love going to shows that are 21+ here in the states as opposed to all ages clubs.

Well, because our government wants to keep us safe, most venues herd us adults to a designated drinking area where there are no minors. Of course, you can't go see the band with your beer but rather try and watch the gig from afar.
    But the good thing is, most venues allow minors to attend their gigs, which is good.

The venue that does almost all of the touring shows up this way is all ages. I've been to a couple that had an adults only area for drinking but yeah, it was annoying being put away from the stage.

Memnoch wrote:And don't get me started on the fact that only the state-owned alcohol stores are allowed to sell alcohol exceeding 4.7%. :bitch:

The State of New Hampshire owns all liquor sales (for home consumption). Beer and wine can be purchased at grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies but hard liquor must be purchased from a state store. Probably not a bad idea. People drink a lot so it most likely makes the state money. :lol:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 am

mooyagi wrote:The State of New Hampshire owns all liquor sales (for home consumption). Beer and wine can be purchased at grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies but hard liquor must be purchased from a state store. Probably not a bad idea. People drink a lot so it most likely makes the state money. :lol:

So much for capitalism and freedom.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 am

EvilDan wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:The State of New Hampshire owns all liquor sales (for home consumption). Beer and wine can be purchased at grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies but hard liquor must be purchased from a state store. Probably not a bad idea. People drink a lot so it most likely makes the state money. :lol:

So much for capitalism and freedom.

Both overrated anyways ;) :lol:

Like I've said many times, New Hampshire's weird. :P
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 am

Just for shits and giggles, here is a list of states with some form of monopoly over a portion or all of liquor sales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state#State_listing
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 am

Yeah, the alcohol laws and regulations are just ridiculous. Imagine how cheap it would be if there was open distribution and no taxation. It's a system meant to punish anyone trying to compete with the big 3.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:39 am

EvilDan wrote:Yeah, the alcohol laws and regulations are just ridiculous. Imagine how cheap it would be if there was open distribution and no taxation. It's a system meant to punish anyone trying to compete with the big 3.

Interesting topic to think about. I have no idea what New Hampshire rakes in for money off of the sales. The liquor itself has no sales tax and I don't know what the distributors are paid by the state for the purchase of the goods. I have, personally, found the prices to be much, much lower than in Massachusetts and California, which are not found on the list. That's based off of pre-sales tax prices too. However, one must go to a packie to get the goods in Massachusetts (not allowed in supermarkets and convenience stores) but California allows sale pretty much anywhere. I know MA has a pretty nasty alcohol tax and can't recall what CA has.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 am

At least half the cost of alcohol is so-called "sin" taxes imposed by the federal and state governments. The same can be said about cigarettes, gasoline, etc. And this doesn't even include the embedded taxes (in every product sold) that the company producing the product passes on to the consumer.

Captain Metal
    Ensign

Re: Metal Cruise Of Heaviness Post Apocalyptic Party!

by Captain Metal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 am

Alright, the Post party is a GO! This thread has now been revamped at the top with all the info, so check it out :beerwink:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 am

Fuck yes!!!! Hellwitch and Masticator! Nice! :deathhorns:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks again, Captain Metal, for all your hard work! :bangers:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:25 am

Yes, thanks Captain Metal for your efforts. We'll be coming for sure. :)
    I hear that MadameLePink and Uncle Soda are coming too. :lol:
    Wishlist:
Locked 207 posts