Post Reply 262 posts
Who is going on 70K without their "significant other"?
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Who is going on 70K without their "significant other"?

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Always awesome to have a significant other that's into metal :cool:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Going without Amanda and my cabinmate is a decently cute girl. . .oops.

She actually likes that I have this metal thing and is happy that I'm going on this cruise. I've spent the last year getting her more and more into metal and she actually likes Tyr and Nightwish now -- she said she would definitely go on the cruise next year if Tyr is announced again (she knows that Tyr is my favorite band though so she might just be saying that to be nice).

And look at how goddamn sappy I am, kissing her head, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

EDIT: I go to shows by myself all the time. My birthday is the weekend I get back and Nekrogoblikon, Jahmbi, and Gypsyhawk are playing Saturday night. Amanda was so kind as to move our dinner reservations to Sunday so I can go see my favorite local band :cool: :cool:
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm

mooyagi wrote:Always awesome to have a significant other that's into metal :cool:

QFT
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:37 pm

mooyagi wrote:Always awesome to have a significant other that's into metal :cool:

I was soo happy that I got mine into a lot of the same metal I like :P :P

Even if she does poke fun at me for loving Star One and has completely banned me from playing Iced Earth's Gettysburg songs :lol:
    Noelolz
    Petty Officer

by Noelolz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm

My S/O and I are both going on the cruise, we both like metal but he's a bit pickier about it than I am. He's into the newer bands and I'm more into the classics. I'm pretty much willing to see all of the bands on the cruise whereas he only wants to see the death metal ones. I'll probably fly solo for all of the power metal bands this year.

Btw, after reading through this whole thread I have to say that I am fucking excited to meet you guys (and pretty bummed that I didn't get to meet you guys last year, i was too busy seeing bands and whatever)! :bangers:

Can't waaaaaaaaait!
    Bring on #7! Booked Cabin 2313!
    70k 2011, 2012, BTH, 2013, 2014, 2015 Survivor
    Wishlist: Haken*Edguy*SymphonyX*Moonspell*Devin Townsend*Masterplan*Gojira*Avantasia*Ayreon*Starkill*Arsis*Leprous*Anaal Nathrakh*Enslaved*Rhapsody of Fire
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Laura wrote:
    And Margie...lol on the "pimp and ho" cabin...how 'bout pimp 'n ho for short? :lol:
    All kidding aside, I realize that metalho does not equal real "ho." ;) :P

That is correct. Far from it. :D

WizardBeast wrote:
    Goddess of Metal wrote:cling-ons

are you open to dating any Klingons though?

Now that is creepy... :lol: :lol: :lol: Plus I am pretty sure they are not into metal.
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    Even if she does poke fun at me for loving Star One and has completely banned me from playing Iced Earth's Gettysburg songs :lol:

Star One fucking rules and The Glorious Burden is one of my favorite Iced Earth CDs. I am going to have a little chat with her onbroad. :P :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Steve110
    Petty Officer

by Steve110 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm

My gf of almost 3 years is not coming. She's not into metal, but she does like going to shows. The main reason she's not going is because she's deathly afraid of flying. :lol: If this cruise ever leaves from LA (very unlikely) then I'm sure she would be onbroad.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Skwizgar wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:I'm single.... already regretting this post. Eeep.

That's evil. I had to copy the text and past it into word to read it.

I may text like a brute, but I'm actually quite a gentleman, so don't worry about me giving you anything to regret.

BTW I'm single, too, and not smart enough to figure out the font size tag until I remembered my old-school HTML. If we meet, you should run. Just fucking run.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WizardBeast wrote:i meant that if they HAVE a sig other, he's into metal. not talkin' about my single metalho's! :oops: :oops: i expect no less from a Viking though,to conquer non-metal guys and rape/pillage/convert them!

:viking: :bitch:

Rhia, I freaking love ya lady. That made me smile :lol: :bangers:

Oh and I'm going to agree with the other ladies, if given any attention from Margie (who I count as one of the coolest metal "chicks" I've ever met) then you should feel special and then some because I don't care who you are - she is out of your league :cool:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm

I presently have no significant other, but I am open to taking applications for several positions :beerwink:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    Goddess of Metal wrote:cling-ons

are you open to dating any Klingons though?

Now that is creepy... :lol: :lol: :lol: Plus I am pretty sure they are not into metal.

klingons DO like dissonance in their music including crazy opera and even jazz fusion, and metal, yes! there was a klingon metal band called Sto-vo-kor! glad i could creep you out! hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    klingons DO like dissonance in their music including crazy opera and even jazz fusion, and metal, yes! there was a klingon metal band called Sto-vo-kor! glad i could creep you out! hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Metalwrath posted a video of that band above. Still no thanks... :lol: :lol: :lol: You are quite the creeper. ;)
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Captain Metal wrote:I presently have no significant other, but I am open to taking applications for several positions :beerwink:

You are going to take Schaffer's place this year. I can see it already. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:I presently have no significant other, but I am open to taking applications for several positions :beerwink:

You are going to take Schaffer's place this year. I can see it already. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AWWWWW SNAP! Wear your "Creep INside" button with pride!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Monmisreal wrote:

I was soo happy that I got mine into a lot of the same metal I like :P :P

Dump the bitch! :mrgreen:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Monmisreal wrote:Even if she has completely banned me from playing Iced Earth's Gettysburg songs :lol:

She sounds like a really smart lady!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:16 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:Even if she has completely banned me from playing Iced Earth's Gettysburg songs :lol:

Yup, i like her already! :boobs: :bangers:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:17 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:

Too bad our buttonian isn't with us on this :cry:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:She sounds like a really smart lady!

The Buttonian is the only one with any sense in this group :roll:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:Yup, i like her already! :boobs: :bangers:

The Buttonian is the only one without any sense in this group :roll:

Agreed
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Nice try there Meheecan. I'm on to you. Can't slip by my border fence :P
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm

mooyagi wrote:The Buttonian is the only one without any sense in this group :roll:

Yes, we know! ;) we still love ya.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Amanda is giving me one lifetime pass -- as long as it's Mariangela Demurtas from Tristania. The stipulation is that I'm not allowed to hit on her, she has to come to me.

Challenge accepted.

I don't know why I find her so unbelievably attractive, but she's totally my celebrity metal crush.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:You are going to take Schaffer's place this year. I can see it already. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lofty aspiration to be certain, but I'm afraid I could never take the crown from the king :beerwink:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Amanda is giving me one lifetime pass -- as long as it's Mariangela Demurtas from Tristania. The stipulation is that I'm not allowed to hit on her, she has to come to me.

Challenge accepted.

I don't know why I find her so unbelievably attractive, but she's totally my celebrity metal crush.

she's very striking. :shock:
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Amanda is giving me one lifetime pass -- as long as it's Mariangela Demurtas from Tristania. The stipulation is that I'm not allowed to hit on her, she has to come to me.

Challenge accepted.

So what you're sayin there is... SCHA-WING!
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 pm

My wife will be coming with me to Miami but is going back home before the cruise.
    She is not into metal at all, I did get her to go wiht me to a Ozzy show this summer
    and that just made her dislike metal even more.

:viking:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 pm

mooyagi wrote:Nice try there Meheecan. I'm on to you. Can't slip by my border fence :P

I can slip by any and all fences
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:The Buttonian is the only one without any sense in this group :roll:

Only sometimes :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:The Buttonian is the only one with any sense in this group :roll:

Lots of loving in our pod :wank: :boobs: :boobs: Oh, and fixed the quote back to what I actually said. You broads really can't read :P
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

right....like when he is not farting and not listening to power metal. wait...when IS that?!?!?!? :|
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:Yes, we know! ;) we still love ya.

right....like when he is not farting and not listening to power metal. wait...when IS that?!?!?!? :|

I'm listening to Iced Earth right now and I just farted :beerbang:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:Only sometimes :lol:

I'm listening to Iced Earth right now and I just farted :beerbang:

Geez :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Laura wrote:but guys, listen up.....Margie is one cool ass chick!!! :beerwink:

I shall attest to this, having rocked a conversation about prog power, local bands and shitty promoters for hours with her last year! Let's do it again soon, Margie!
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Element0s wrote:
    Laura wrote:but guys, listen up.....Margie is one cool ass chick!!! :beerwink:

I shall attest to this, having rocked a conversation about prog power, local bands and shitty promoters for hours with her last year! Let's do it again soon, Margie!

Thanks Jeffie! ;) You bet! That was really fun. I am so impressed with your knowledge of bands. :cheers:

Your avatar it still cracking me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:14 am

Skwizgar wrote:
    Laura wrote:Should I rename this thread "State Your Relationship Status?" :P

*serious cat enters thread*

Seriously....
    There are certainly times I wish my S.O. liked metal music, but the situation is what it is. ;)

Every so often I imagine a person who has all (or *mostly* all) of my same interests and passions. Yet, fairly recently, I've come to the conclusion that my interests are far too eclectic, not to mention the fact that I am becoming more and more eccentric as the years go by....therefore, I don't think *that* person exists. (or if they do, I have not met them yet.) This realization actually made me somewhat sad which is *not* my usual state. :|

*serious cat leaves thread*

Good point. My ex-wife (we're still on very friendly terms) HATED my choices in music for the most part. I'm also an eclectic sort of hybrid music lover, into original punk, hardcore, hard metal from the 70's and 80's, bagpipe music, and tons of underground weirdo-music (among genres). The only show she ever went to with me for the 17 years we were married and liked was was David Bowie about five years ago. Next time, if there is one, my partner is going to have to love visceral music as much as I do.

No one thing is the most important part of any relationship, but music (especially if one's taste turns to the eclectic) is a nice comfort match.

:oops: I think that was another example of my TMI (too much information) posts. ;) Must have been in a melancholy kind of mood when I wrote it (which as I said is not the usual me.)

Anyway...thanks for your thoughts on the matter....and since we're around the same age (as I recall from your Who are You? posting) and you were also in an LTR (long term relationship - sorry it didn't work out btw), perhaps you can relate to some of what I say next. (ha - and I'm going to try to be brief and not too TMI. ;) )

My husband and I have far more in common on many levels than not - that is obviously why we started dating long ago in 1984 at the age of 23....We were exactly the same age, extremely similar childhoods and family life, both studied architecture in undergrad, enjoyed traveling, both big "party-ers," ( :smoking: & :trashdrink: ) and last but not least, pretty much had the identical LP record collections. (with the exception of the fact that I was big into the Grateful Dead and the Sex Pistols and he never cared much for either group). As time went on, those interests continued on the same path and also morphed into other interests - both shared and individual.

All the bands in my sig wishlist are bands that I became familiar with and (dare I say :P ) obsessive over in the past decade (my 40s). I remember when soon after I had heard Immortal's At the Heart of Winter (and was crazy about it), I played the first track (Withstand the Fall of Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2O-da4hHq4 ) for husband and he actually kinda liked it up until Abbath started singing. :lol: Those kinda vocals for him are (to use a Dr. Phil-ism :lol: ) a total deal-breaker. I imagine there are people on this forum for which they are too! :P Anyway, as I said - when all is said and done - we really have a ton of common musical interests; for example, we recently watched the movie It Might Get Loud (documentary on the electric guitar from the point of view of the Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229360/), and both loved it. But would he have wanted to travel with me to see Immortal headline Wacken in summer 2010 and Hole in the Sky (Norway) this past summer? No way!!! (so I went by myself and he was tolerant of that fact)

So, in summary - is it realistic (or even desirable?) to expect that couples should have *all* the same interests as I wrote in the initial post? Probably not. ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:39 am

Laura wrote:So, in summary - is it realistic (or even desirable?) to expect that couples should have *all* the same interests as I wrote in the initial post? Probably not. ;)

No, it's not a good thing. It's similar to always getting your way. It gets boring. You have to have something that's your own. Time to be on your own.

Then again, maybe that's just me. However, every time I've met a couple that did everything together, "shared" all the same interests, they were boring and lacked passion. No ability to think for themselves. And much of the time, it's a spineless, weak, scared woman that just does what her "man" wants. I have no interest in weak women.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 am

Laura wrote:is it realistic (or even desirable?) to expect that couples should have *all* the same interests as I wrote in the initial post? Probably not. ;)

Well I'm still single, I've had 3 heavy rocker girlfriends: two darks and one witch, I have to say that some things were very good like choose movies, gigs and sex (this last one was a particular highlight), but making a summary I suppose I've been longer time with girlfriends who don't share interests with me (talking about music and hobbies) .. I suppose positive/negative poles stay close more easy.. who knows I've enjoyed very much both kind of relationships

:beerwink:
    Cheers!

Cab: 3500 G

Wishlist: Allen-Lande, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, , Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Northern Kings, Mago de Oz, Ozzy, Powerwolf, Tarot, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Syrens Call, Within Temptation
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 am

Laura wrote::P
    Ok.....admittedly a silly thread.

For non-native English speakers, "significant other" means wife, husband, girlfriend, or boyfriend. (I'm stating this upfront because the few times I used this term on the forum, I was asked what it meant.) :P

Anywaaaay....I go to metal shows and festivals (including 70K) by myself, because my S.O. is not a fan of the music. I know of several others here and elsewhere who are in the same boat. :P

LOL "significant other" aka wendy :lol: got me into metal

how do like THAT :lol:

kevin shut up!
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:05 am

Like your post Dan and the fact that you don't care for "weak" women. :cheers:

Have to correct something I said about all my sig list bands being ones I became familiar with only in the past decade. Huge exceptions: UFO and Scorpions are long-time faves since my high-schhol days. (and husband likes them too - I think he actually would have loved the Uli Jon Roth cruise pool deck set last year - especially the Jimi Hendrix covers since we are both big Hendrix fans!)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
Post Reply 262 posts